The Goodfic Bin 1,255 members · 1,297 stories
Comments ( 442 )
  • Viewing 401 - 450 of 442
HapHazred
Group Admin

4653117 Cheers. Sorry it's taking so long: there were several of yours in there at the time, and since the Thespia Nine, I try and pace myself from reading too much of one author.

Regis-Th3-Lesser
Group Contributor

Yeah, I know we both know reading takes some time

4653116 Then never mind, really, since I don't even think it has a chance to make it through anyways.

HapHazred
Group Admin

Title: They That Would Sport With Giants

Description: A volunteer stormball team out of Cloudsdale has walloped everypony they've played, including the pros. They even took a world tour, going undefeated. Just before they celebrate their world victory, their star player reminds them they forgot one town: Ponyville. Something's not adding up. Ponyville's not known for the sport. Above that, this star retired years ago, but is playing better now than he did in his youth. Some of his team feel something is pushing him in a bad, bad way.

Why I think it's worth reading: I've been told it's quite excellent and deserves positive press; my prereader even said "I checked your profile and saw that this would be your first story on this site. If that is true, that blows me away; no first story is as well-crafted as this. You are guaranteed to outdo me, a 16-story member, instantly as soon as this gem gets approved." I, myself, am pleased with how it's coming, and was pointed to take it here. Thank you for reading.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4653480 We actually don't take reception into account when deciding to review a story or not. If your prereader likes the story so much, he is free to submit it in the 'submit other stories here' folder.

Or you could expand this part:

I, myself, am pleased with how it's coming

, and explain what you think the story is worthwhile, aside from being generally satisfied with it.

Ah. My apologies for being vague. Take 2, with slight title adjustment:

Those Who Sport With Giants

Description: see previous post

Why I think it's worth reading: The story explores the effects of foalhood bullying and trauma on adult ponies, how Rainbow Dash handles powerful guilt, what could have been for Derpy, how others could perceive of why Twilight became a princess, and how the story's main characters respond to a gruff, the-ends-justify-the-means coach, set to the preparation for and play of what's meant to be a friendly game where there are ulterior motives happening in the field of play.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4653917 Better. Adding to the list.

By InquisitorM

Cadance, Discord, and Fluttershy walk into a blizzard, but it's no laughing matter: there's something out there, buried beneath centuries of ice. But it's going to take teamwork to find it, and it's not the Princess of Love nor the Lord of Chaos that are holding all the cards.
What's more, somepony predicted everything that is about to happen, and it turns out that history has an unexpected cadence.

Three Solos represents the hight of my achievements with precise, streamlined prose mixed with rich, nuanced portrayals of canon characters as well as an original character of my own design. The story demonstrates that show-like physical comedy can be written in prose if handled correctly, and that – in keeping with my learned mantra – the key aspects of good writing are invisible: dialogue mechanics are sparse, emotional exposition is almost non existent, and telling is used only where brevity suits the storytelling more than showing. Additionally, the disparate threads of the story use very different points of view to achieve different ends: one light and airy interactions between out three show characters, the other a tightly-knit 3rd-person limited view from a doomed hero.

Beyond the writing itself, Three Solos is an example of intricately weaving new ideas into existing canon without having to nudge anything aside. But more than that, it might provide an excuse for the eyesore that was the S4 finale that actually makes some kind of sense. That alone should be worth a bucketful of points.

And no, I don't believe in false modesty.

Title: Laughter or Darkness

Description: It seems like an easy choice, doesn't it? However, when you've spent a thousand years away from other ponies, the darkness can be comforting. It will take a lot of work to drag Luna out of the darkness, but one pink pony is up to the task.

Reason: Very few fics tackle a ship as unusual as Pinkie PieXPrincess Luna. Fewer still delve into anything deeper than hugs and kisses. In this story I tackle Luna's insecurity with her subjects, Pinkie Pie's dreams, and even proper fondue etiquette. (but not really.) Saccharine sweet sometimes, bittersweet at others, If you like a shipfic that's more than just an excuse to write cuddling ponies (not that there's anything wrong with that), You should like this story.

In or not, Thank you for your time and consideration.
Starlitomega

HapHazred
Group Admin

4664878 If you think you don't believe in false modesty, you should see me when I start listing off all the reasons why I'm the best and everyone else simply hasn't noticed yet.

4666498 Adding both of these to the list.

4667137 It's the only way to live :)

HapHazred
Group Admin

4667143 It is indeed. If we don't tell people to their faces that we're the greatest of all time, how else are they going to know?

Title: Waiting for Adagio

Description:

One week has passed since the Battle of the Bands. Alone and hungry, Sonata must find food to survive until Adagio comes back.

Reason you think the story is worth reading: It's a short story that conveys strong emotion while being subtle about it and letting the reader piece together what has happened.

Title: Song of Thunder

Description:

Lyra Heartstrings is a mare who often goes about life with her head in the clouds. Always dreaming, always fantasizing about what could be. She sees her friends and so many others enjoying sharing their lives with that special someone, and wishes that she could as well. To find that special someone she can be herself with and not be afraid, even if that self is a less than socially graceful.

When a chance meeting with a stallion—who is often too laid back for his own good—occurs, it brings about that possibility she's been dreaming of. Music was always her secret passion, and now, it seems that the song of her heart might get what she's been wanting.

Or are things too good to be true again?

Reason you think the story is worth reading: A story with a different rendition of popular side characters. A romance story featuring Lyra Heartstrings and Thunderlane, a rather unheard of ship. The story is about finding love when one thought least likely to ever find it.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4667760 Adding both of these to the list.

-Title: Apple Bloom's Day Off

-Description: Apple Bloom spends her days with the CMC's going to school, playing games, and trying to get her cutie mark.... and snacking on any sweet treat she can find. So of course, when Granny Smith's freshest batch of cookies makes the scene, what's a filly to do with her weekend off other than try and find ways to get the delicious treats all to herself?

-Reason you think the story is worth reading: This story is a completely light-hearted look at what the Crusaders do when they're not... well... crusading. Specifically, this story is about AB. There will be another about Scoots, and another about Sweetie. Regardless! This story is chock full of hilarity, an adorable filly, and cookies. Honestly, who doesn't love cookies? It's relatable, enjoyable, and an all around good time. Plus, it's a one-shot that provides a much needed break for the 30-chapter stories floating around. :twilightsmile: That and if you don't read it, Apple Bloom will get sad. :applecry:

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/282316/apple-blooms-day-off

4195380 Okay, so I've submitted this story here before, and you guys rejected it. However, I've revised and made improvements to it and I'd like to get your guy's opinion on it. I hope that I'm not breaking any rules by resubmitting.

Link

Title- Boarding School

Description- Diamond Tiara has always hated Apple Bloom, and has always tried to hurt her anytime they see each other. But after a particularly dicey encounter with her favorite victim, Diamond makes a mistake.
And that mistake sent her to boarding school.
Determined not to let her new circumstances get her down, Diamond vowed to have the entire school eating out of her hoof by the end of the year. But that's a little hard to do when the role of resident Queen Bee has already been filled...
But unbeknownst to anypony, strange forces are lurking close. A student hungers for power, and secrets of Equestria are revealed. Soon, it will be up to Diamond to decide what matters most- herself, or the ponies around her?
Takes place right after Call of the Cutie.

Reason I think the story is worth reading- When you think of a DT reform story, I'm guessing you generally picture Diamond acting like a jerk, some bad thing happening, and suddenly all is forgiven and the Crusaders and DT are best friends. This is not the case here. Yes, at the beginning of the story, Diamond Tiara is a bratty bully who everyone hates (and for good reason). But throughout the the course of the story, Diamond is steadily becoming a more and more likable character. I try to add some backstory to her bullying nature, along with letting her show her loyalty, resourcefulness, and leadership qualities that are usually hidden behind her domineering personality. I should point out, that most of the character development here hasn't been written in quite yet, but after all, I'm still in the opening chapters. I hope that you'll be impressed with how much she's changed by the end, because believe me, this is not your average reform story.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4675064 Eesh, I'm a little late to your party, aren't I? Sorry, I was out travelling. Very distracted. Adding to the list.

4695788 Re-adding to the list.

4696065 Wait does adding to the list mean it made the cut? Or just that you're starting the count down until it gets read and evaluated? Because I've already got a second story ready to go lol.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4697197 It means it's in the pending review folder, which is where we put stories awaiting review. It's not been accepted into the group proper yet.

4334449 Hey, me again. I'm not sure if there's any sort of notification system for the pending review folder, so I thought I'd just let you know, my story has now gone from 85% done to 100% done. That is all. Thank you.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4699101 There is. I reviewed and rejected Rainbow Dash eats a Kitten about two weeks ago, and left a comment on the story telling you I did.

I actually got some decent mileage out of it, and liked the surreality of Rainbow eating kittens, but later on I think it got too random and the novelty wore off. You can find more details on the decision in the thread I linked to in the comment I put in the story.

4699581 Sorry, I didn't write Rainbow Dash eats a Kitten. My story (The Draconequus with the Dragon Tattoo) is still in the Pending Review folder.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4699735 :facehoof:

Sorry. You both have 'Shark' in your name. I got confuddled.

Title - Wasteland kings

Description - The beast bared it's fangs to the world long ago, plaguing it with radiation. It took the throne as the ruler of it's now tainted land leaving mutated horrors in it's wake. Some of these horrors still fight even after losing every bit of there own personality. Why are they fighting if they don't even know who they are?

Reason you think your story is worth reading? I believe my story is worth reading because it is a crossover of a game called Nuclear throne that has a great universe with the base details to a story of tragedy that I use in it to help make a story many may enjoy. I believe so even more because of the little writing or attention it has received.

HapHazred
Group Admin

that has a great universe with the base details to a story of tragedy that I use in it

Could you maybe go over that again?

HapHazred
Group Admin

Since we're getting pretty full in this thread, it's being officially replaced with our new Self Submissions thread. If you have any submissions related problems that you would normally deal with here, move them to this thread.

• Viewing 401 - 450 of 442