Coco Pommel 749 members · 134 stories
Comments ( 73 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 73

Since we have a lack of shipping thread here, time to start one proper.

Title is self explanatory: tell us who you ship it with and why. Try to avoid shipping wars ah who am I kidding? Like that's going to happen. :facehoof: But seriously, try to be civil about it at least.

2573496 Rarity. Because it makes sense.

Rarity so far.

And Twilight.

Because I ship Twilight with pretty much everypony.

Except Discord.

2573496 Spikey-Wikey. See Cadances Paladin's answer.

Spike. Granted its a crack ship for me (I prefer there be some actual backing for pairings.) but yeah. And its extremely cute.

Plus I never was a fan of les pairings.

Cryosite
Group Admin

Rarity.

There was some inspiring resonance between the two. Both seem like they'd enjoy the other's company and they'd be downright cute together.

Who do you ship Coco Pommel with and why?

Me.

I'm very, very lonely.

Rarity but I am open to others

Both are assistants (at least Coco WAS one.) and both are mistreated.

And in the end, one of them managed to think for themselves. :trollestia:

OH, right, the question. Um. Everyone but Spike. I would seriously do Flashpommel before Spike. I would do Cocosombra before Spike. I'm not all that picky.

Who I'm currently thinking about shipping her with, though? Rarity (it just makes sense -- hero worship and all makes her the easy gateway), and one other who's currently a mystery. :scootangel: At least until I can figure out if I really can make it work.

2573618 Because "dur spikes a kid" (which is not really true.) Only real anti arguement I heard.

... yet I'm willing to bet most of these same people have no trouble shipping sparity.

2573681 Or a very-late teen.Twilight hatched him when she was a very little filly.

Thats the major problem though... no explicit ages or even any implied ages (Ie "I started school X Years ago when I was ___"), so it's really hard to make an argument on spike's age either way without any real frame of reference.

Not to mention the fact that ponies (IRL) don't age the same as humans do. For all we know Twi and crew might be a bunch of 10yos.

So, when Coco's character was revealed, I saw greatness in the shipping, knowing it would soon erupt out into the fandom like how the Xenomorphs in Alien burst out of the guy's stomach!

Unrelated to topic.

Don't know.

No. The Xenos burst out of the chest.

... yet I'm willing to bet most of these same people have no trouble shipping sparity.

2573681 2573741
Can't speak for anyone else, but... look, I enjoy Spike and all, but in terms of how he acts mentally and as a character? I can't see him hanging with any of the grown mares on the show on anything more than a "best-buds" level. Okay, maybe Pinkie Pie, but do we really want to go there? It's like this block I have.

Even Coco, who I sort of see as in late high school/early college mentally? Still comes off as an "older woman" compared to him for me. Even if he's not physically a kid (and sadly, canon says he kind of is), he's still mentally a little brother for me, and that's just not going to change. It's always come down to a mental thing for me, and it takes more than the occasional genre-savviness and/or selfless moment to establish "maturity" in my eyes.

That said, I don't have anything against people having their fun shipping with Spike (until they start trying to guilt me into worshipping the ground he walks on, which has happened before). I issue the same edict I issue to all shippers: make me believe it! :heart:

...but if you go for the "they're both mistreated woobies!" angle, I'm... probably not gonna believe it. :twilightsheepish:

Rarity. It only kinda really makes sense.

How about 'they had no interaction' or 'Spike's gay for Rarity' or 'Spike is really not that interesting to see in a shipfic'. Either he's childish and immature as he is now or the writer ages him up and makes it so that he's perfect and he can get anyone he wants (Pretty much every fic I've read with aged-up Spike)

A thing that also turns off people from Spike shipping, is that despite it being not so popular (Spike x anyone) some of the fans are really vocal. I've seen Spike shippers leave hateful comments on Twilight x anyone and Rarity x anyone fics, just because he wasn't included. I dislike Spike shipping more for the insane people that wage war about it.

edit: also, you two unintentionally made this thread about Spike shipping (I know it's you who posted those threads earlier :twilightsmile:. And Cadances Paladin basically said 'why don't you like what I like' before boldly claiming it's a perfect ship. No ship is perfect except when it's canon.

2573496 I've been thinking that stylish cat-guy, because he and Coco both have style.

Nopony :scootangel:

I'm with you. I've never really been comfortable with the idea of Spike in a romantic relationship with anybody.

Well, heck, I would hope not, otherwise that would mean I severely overestimated you. :trollestia: I was just nipping that one possibility in the bud before it got anywhere.

So...CocoxCoco?

Please.

Tell me more.

"Either he's childish and immature as he is now"

actually he's pretty much on par with the rest of the main 6 in maturity, more or less. Certainly much more than his would-be peers if this argument were true (the CMC or diamond tiara or other fillies) Sometimes more mature than the main 6.

Besides, trying to guess age around how they act (especially in this show) is kinda a dead end, all things considered. Not that it's a reliable method in any franchise, but in this one it should really be the last thing to try to guess an aproximate age with.

Of course, as I said the real trouble is we have no real frame of reference. Outside of the very doubious "1000 years ago" no real frame of time is given. We don't know how old twilight was when she hatched spike, we don't know how long she was in school, how long she lived in canterlot, what age applejack was when she tried to move to fillydelphia, how old the CMC are, etc. All we have basically are assertions, assumptions, and guesses. So any argument about spike's age is pretty much speculative at best.

... and no, the mirror in (grumble)EQG is not a reliable F.o.R either. Especially considering that for starters there's celestias age (celestia is 1000+ years old, she shouldn't even exist in the EQG universe) the fact that the CMC are in high school in that film, and the fact that spike became a dog instead of a person :twilightangry2:.
Not to mention that movie was so full of plotholes and inconsistencies that it's utterly laughable to draw any sort of conclusion from that anyway.

I fail to see the logic in that. He has the attitude and maturity of at least a 10 year old.

2573978 Just think for a moment coco was single...at least that's how picture her :derpyderp2:

So, you're saying that a person who's worst fear is not being needed anymore, who harbors a crush like a ten-year-old, who has no bigger goals than being an assistant to his sister-figure, who gorged on ice-cream because it was future Spike's problem, is on par with mares that handle businesses, have their eyes set on goals such as work and fame, and who put themselves in harms way willingly to save the world?

Yeeeeaaahhhh

Rarity seems the most obvious choice. She's like the Good counterpart to Coco's terrible former boss. The background and set-up are already in place, making Rarity and Coco an easy ship to write.

With time and space for a less obvious set-up, though, it comes down to a matter of personality, which basically means I would ship her like I do Fluttershy; with Twilight or Applejack, or again with Rarity--RariCoco is apparently an optimal ship by several different means.

They weren't shown as being together without the influence of the love poison. If they were, I would be more inclined to believe that the writers created backstory and preferences to suit that relationship

Compared to:

- A constantly hyperactive childish party pony
- A pony who's worst fear is failing a test (or being tardy)
- a lazy speed/competition obsessive weather pony.

- Three school ponys who act far less mature than he does

Quite so.

And btw spike did put himself in harms way to save the world.

Hell, I'm living proof.

Derailing things from Spike for a second, though -- I certainly think we'd be doing Miss Coco a disservice if we all just lasered in on Rarico (as great and full of potential as it is). Let's spread out a bit, experiment and such!

I, for one, happen to think that Coco's awfully photogenic.

A constantly hyperactive childish party pony

Who helps out/works in the bakery, organises parties and babysits.

A pony who's worst fear is failing a test (or being tardy)

A result of being tested her entire life in the shadow of a god-like mentor. Also ascended to being a princess, the voice of reason many times and planning events like Winter Wrap up

a lazy speed/competition obsessive weather pony.

Lazy because she can literally do her work in ten seconds and because of constantly training to get into a sports team/military force (Secret of my Excess). She also shows great work spirit when it is required of her and she held up a professional attitude at the academy.

As opposed to Spike who assists Twilight, assists Rarity and gets himself into trouble.

2573496 Here what I want to see: Spike and she fight over Rarity's love, later decide to share her! Every pony wins!

Who helps out/works in the bakery, organises parties and babysits.

Who helps/works out in the library, does chores, and babysits animals (with just as much success)

Also ascended to being a princess,

Via the most contrived method possible: by finishing poetry. Seriously, don't even get me started on that train wreck. :ajbemused:

the voice of reason many times and planning events like Winter Wrap up

Same can be said for spike. Often times being the voice of reason to the so-called "voice of reason"

As opposed to Spike who assists Twilight, assists Rarity and gets himself into trouble.

Because the main 6 never get into trouble, right? And because spike only gets himself into trouble and never does anything constructive, right?

You're spot on about Pinkie

For Twilight being a princess puts responsibilities on her shoulder, while Spike only has to make sure that the Library stays clean. The only times that I remember spike being the voice of reason is in Lesson Zero and It's about time (I guess). So far, the only constructive thing he did was a matter of luck (not getting caught in the magic trap) and carrying a crystal for a few meters because he was the only one nearby.

But anyway, enough derailing of this thread. I think you're wrong that Spike is as mature as the Mane six, you do not. Let's leave it at that.

Personally, I like the thought of either Photo Finish, Trixie or Octavia X Coco. Maybe Soarin' or Bon Bon.

Further testing is required.

To the story folders~

:raritywink: -"I guess you'll be needing a new job now, huh? How would you like to be my sex slave?"

Via the most contrived method possible: by finishing poetry. Seriously, don't even get me started on that train wreck.

I guess saving the world multiple times doesn't count for much to you? :facehoof: Though technically all of Twilights friends should be getting more recognition for those accomplishments along with her.

Because the main 6 never get into trouble, right? And because spike only gets himself into trouble and never does anything constructive, right?

The Main 6 have almost always been able to get out of trouble on their own. Spike's had to be saved on several occasions. Yeah, he's had a couple heroic moments, but even in those moments he needed help from others (he's never single-handedly saved the day). Meanwhile the Main 6 have saved Equestria numerous times, and mostly with virtually no help from him.

There's nothing wrong with that. MLP is a very girl power oriented show, so naturally the ladies are gonna get most of the glory. Just be glad they let him have his moments, few as they are.

Oh, and lets not forget Spike nearly destroyed a town and almost got the mare he has a crush on killed because he couldn't control his greed. If I were Rarity, I'd have been done with that kid.

Vexy #39 · Jan 11th, 2014 · · 1 ·

Huh. Well I think Spike x Coco is pretty cute. Can we just ship a ship because it's cute? :duck:

I've seen Spike shippers leave hateful comments on Twilight x anyone and Rarity x anyone fics, just because he wasn't included.

That's a little bit of a generalization, but to be honest, a lot of fics tend to neglect a lot of characters when they include shipping. I can understand why people don't really like the character, but Spike is still one of Twilight's closest friends, and he sticks with her almost constantly. For an author to just ignore that? Well, it's a little lazy...
:unsuresweetie:

2574382 :facehoof: It's a childs tv show they kinda have to dumb down the characters. But since we are on a fanfiction site we implement what was probably happening behind hte scenes (Such as the fact that they hinted the Twilight would be ascending soon in the crystal empire episodes, which does mean that she didn't just finish a poem that was simply (albeit by far the dumbest step) the last step to ascend)

2574115 SHIPPING IT LIKE FEDEX! THEY IS JUST SO... MAGICKZ. :coolphoto:

Keeping in mind that Coco is likely to remain in Manehattan... also that her goals and Rarity's goals put them in similar spheres of influence...

Coco x Photo Finish was a good one.

Coco x Sapphire Shores. No one ever writes bout Sapphire Shores, and it seems like famous singers often branch out and start their own clothing lines for whatever reason.

Coco x Hoity Toity. All three of these ponies were at the fashion show, and thus have seen her work under Suri.

Coco x Fancy Pants. Unlikely with Fleur still hanging on to him as a girlfriend/wife, but you never know.

Coco x Fleur. Maybe she'd have better luck this way?

Coco x Filthy Rich. It's pretty easy to manage a story where Filthy Rich is divorced, although the show probably would never go into it. Thus he'd have his flaws and a bratty daughter, but if anypony could overcome those, it would be Coco.

Lyrica Lilac always appears during fashion shows and special Manehattan/Canterlot social events, but is never written about.

And last (and probably least) Coco x Flash Sentry :trollestia:

1. Rarity because they both love fashion.
2. Spike because there both assistants.
3. Fluttershy because there both kind and innocent.

I cannot willingly ship Rarity and Coco for my headcannon is that Rarity was messing
around with colts in high school and she got pregnant. She was very young so she put
the filly up for adoption and that filly grew up to be ...............COCO

Rising Star - because it was easy, same episode, didn't want to involve the mane six with this shit. And I like Rising Star, he's the first prince of Equestria ^_^

Any Spaceballs reference is a victory for the world.
You, sir, are one of the greats.

This is very true x3
I do feel bad for Spike sometimes, always being the butt of a joke, but he really just kinda lets it happen.

Am I the only one who has CocoxSuri as their OTP?

Prob'ly not, but I wrote Suri as Coco's abusive mother.

:raritydespair:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 73