The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32
PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Twice now, some random person has joined the group and added their random fic to a folder where it doesn't belong.

I, being a pedant, feel the need to point this out to them, but at the same time, I don't feel right "policing" what gets added where because this isn't my group, no matter how strongly I feel about it. <.< I was willing to ignore the first instance, but now I fear this may happen more and more as time progresses and we get more attention.

I see an easy solution, though: change all folders to contributor status only, and grant contributor status to anyone who has participated in a writeoff. (In other words, writeoff ends, they have an entry, contributor go.) That way the people who need to add fics to the various events, those who've written them, can, and anyone new will have some time to learn how this place works before doing anything themselves. It'll require a bit of up-front work by Roger or 25 (since I'm p. sure GV has abandoned us), but afterward, will just be a matter of remembering to include new people after each event.

Thoughts?

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

I don't have a problem with it, but it seems like a lot of work for very little gain. Removing said randomly added stories is probably less work than remembering to give everyone contributor status.

Trick Question
Group Contributor

Huh. I could have sworn Black Jesus's Twilight masturbation fic was in the last writeoff. I must be thinking of something else.

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Yeah, unless there is really a large influx of random stories, the solution seems more work than just removing it.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

I made you an admin. You can be master of the group folders.

While I agree it's less work removing the stories than policing who can add them, it doesn't solve the root issue of the proverbial damage already being done. Once someone has added a story, the ping goes out to all group members, and doesn't go away after the story's been added. It's how morons certain people try to game views by group-bombing.

Easiest solution is for those who remain with the group, but aren't participating in the actual writeoffs, to be able to add stories to the folders. Or we just lock them all until the contest ends and people start submitting them to FimFic, accumulate the list, unlock the folders briefly, dump em in, and lock them again, a la Twilight's Library's old system.

And now I've made myself sad :pinkiesad2: :fluttercry:

yamgoth
Group Contributor

I'm liking the idea. I dunno. I'm a fan of proactive approaches. As much as I like to act like a chaotic dick most of the time, I like seeing the civility of this group. And really, as time progresses, this group will attract more attention and more troll attempts.

I remember one instance recently where one fic was added to what must've been 50 groups in an attempt to get some sort of backlash, which it did. People red thumbed it, some from it being in the wrong group, others because the author is a controversial one. I think it's better to avoid events like this that can tarnish reputations of everyone involved. Y'know, maintain the prestige of the group.

Y'know, he could've been trying to get y'all to ease up. Have a little five knuckle shuffle. It does wonders. Gets rid of stress. Like, why so serious—no, I'm kidding :ajbemused:

Cerulean Voice
Group Contributor

I don't remember Princess Luna is in Your Bed being a fic I read this month...

FloydienSlip
Group Contributor

Annnnd two more random stories get added.

Trick Question
Group Contributor

Believe it or not, I've been telling Twilight that for the past 38 chapters. :twilightblush:

just a heads up, I went to put my Princess Luna is in your bed in the 2015 and also somehow ended up putting it in a 2012 folder, but i removed it

Ugh, that friggin' Luna one again! That's the second time, and I know I've seen Present explain to the author why it doesn't belong in this group

yamgoth
Group Contributor

WTF C_C
And PP, in his bid to progress this group, has accidentally set alight a beacon to which the trolls, hidden carefully away in their glamoured caves, come bursting forth from like moths to the moon til the sun untucks itself.

Lovely lovely. Looks like the shitstorm is coming earlier than expected. Not blaming PP, though. After all, others and myself wouldn't be aware there was an issue without his warning.

Err... I have no idea what you're referencing...

Trick Question
Group Contributor

My current public (M) story. It involves a lot of Twilight Sparkle naivete concerning such matters, at a time when it's a really bad thing for her to have no experience with. :twilightoops: But we love our adorkable nerdbucket. :twilightblush:

Thornwing
Group Contributor

If there needs to be a gatekeeper process, then so be it. I would much rather have the group operate the folders on the honor system, but that can't always work when we're dealing with teh internetz.

Contributor level access seems appropriate, but it could also be a managed process at the admin level if PP or someone the group trusts is willing to run with it.

Trick Question
Group Contributor

Seriously though, is there perhaps a differential on why this problem started just now...? It seems kinda weird that all of a sudden ponies are jumping in and dumping stories in the bins if this wasn't a problem previously.

Trick Question
Group Contributor

I think they are saying they put it in 2012 by accident, but totally intended to put it in 2015. Because they think that folder is for stories from 2015 regardless as to what...

OH SNAP I JUST FIGURED IT OUT :pinkiegasp:

It's happening because the name of the contest is "All In"! So ponies wandering by think "hey, this here is the 'all in' folder for the group". I blame dragons. Dragons did this. :trixieshiftleft: Dragons are responsible, look at the phony mouse guts everywhere this is clear and unequivocal dragon shenanigans.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

That's fine by me. To be honest I usually just ignore all the notifications about new stories being added to the groups I'm a part of.

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

Present-senpai! The power is in your hands!

Trick Question
Group Contributor

I don't think a gatekeeper may be needed. I think the folder just needs to be renamed something that doesn't make it sound like a submission folder.

yooooooou did this You and your perfect prompt!

pterrorgrine
Group Contributor

So wait, PP, do you have the power to implement the solution you suggest now that you've gotten admin powers? Cuz it is a good solution, in and of itself.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

I did my best. :trollestia:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

And just after I posted that, someone else added two stories to three folders.

The last thing I wanted was responsibility D:

yup

apparently :B

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

It's just punishment for making waves. :( Roger is truly a cruel tyrant.

Thornwing
Group Contributor

Happened again.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Yeah, I kinda forgot about that project. c.c Goddammit.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

No time like the present, eh?

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin
horizon
Group Admin

4113035 4113361 4113712
The random internet stranger who added yesterday's stories is a repeat offender. I left a strong note on their story telling them to leave us alone or I would contact the mods. They've removed the story from the group and if they do it again I'm going to follow through.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Yup. :B Once I get around to doing the thing what I'm supposed to do, we won't have to worry about that. :D

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32