The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 43 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 43
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Locked: People can just make new threads to ask questions.

If you have any questions pertaining to the write-off, here's the place. Be sure to check the FAQ first to get quick answers to common questions.

(Website feedback & feature requests go here.)

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

YAY NEW THREAD

RogerDodger
Group Admin

There's no specific API for it, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get what you want with a scraper script. Here's an example: it grabs the plaintext of every story on the site right now and saves them to disk. You can modify as appropriate to extract whatever info you need.

That said, if you want a fancy API to query, you're always free to submit a pull request. :scootangel:

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Strange. What version of Mojolicious does your system have? In the most recent version, Mojo/UserAgent.pm line 229 is blank, so it's hard to tell what's going on there.

You could try getting some more output from the script (e.g., `say $e->attr("href");` on line 36) to see if the state is as it should be (or if you'd just like some more noise from the script -- as said, modify as desired).

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

Is the folder for a write-off for all stories from that write-off, or only the top 3?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

All of the ones people feel like adding, I suppose.

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

I just realized... whatever happened to the Wooden Spoons? Do they not get awarded anymore?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

They're still being handed out correctly, but there was a bug in the results page that had them not displaying there. Fixed that now.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

This is a man who recognizes the value of the Wooden Spoon. :3

horizon
Group Admin

Here's one to add to the FAQ, or perhaps the contest story formatting rules: How do you add formatting to a submission? It took me quite a while of searching to realize that basic BBCode would work (I'd have asked but wanted to keep it a surprise I was entering).

RogerDodger
Group Admin

It's in the FAQ under the header "How Do I Format My Story?"

horizon
Group Admin

Oh, the site FAQ … ha, now I feel silly for assuming that was identical to the FAQ here in the forum threads.

Good to know though!

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Nah. I'll admit it's pretty damn confusing though. I'll edit the title of that thread (because that's pretty much all I can do that isn't deleting it) to try and avoid that in future.

devas
Group Contributor

Ok, I have to ask: WHAT is a wooden spoon? How is it awarded?

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

The wooden spoon is the most glorious prize, awarded only to those proven worthy in the arena of literary combat. Armies have fallen in the quest to achieve it. The wooden spoon can make kings from men and scholars from fools. All bow before its might.

It's given out if you take last place in a contest.

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

I once complained fought hard to make sure my deserved wooden spoon was rewarded justly. It is my highest honor.

Chris
Group Contributor

Someday, I will find a way to win that wooden spoon, preferably without resorting to gratuitous misspellings. PP, Raz, as experts in the field of getting booby prizes without actually being boobies, do you have any hints for a neophyte like myself? :trollestia:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Gratuitous misspellings. :V Writeoff crowd don't like bein' trolled!

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

Do what I did. Set your ambitions astronomically high and wait until a few hours before submissions close. Then grace your keyboard as quickly as your fingers and mind will allow, churning out a stunning and marvelous story in the process that looks like a functionally challenged hamster in a square plastic ball compared to the beauty you had envisioned.

Of course, a lack of dignity is required. But nobody ever said attaining the glorious wooden spoon would be without sacrifice.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "no," but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been going back through the old prompts and doing them as closely as I can to the original rules. I did the "Magic in Everything" one last weekend and spent yesterday writing up one for "Famous Last Words." Can I post the stories I ended up with in the folders here?

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

Not really a point to, having them in the folders doesn't seem to hold a noticeable increase in viewers and seems mostly as a way to notify group members of the finished version being uploaded so you can see your favorite ones fully edited and may be extended. If you wait a week there is another contest coming up you can compete in.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

OK. I'll just do the folders for stories going forward, not going back. Thank you!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

No, do it! D: I like knowing the stories are done!

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Conflict!:pinkiegasp:

I guess my real question is more "would anyone object to me adding the stories even though they weren't part of the original contests?" That's the catch, it seems to me. These are stories I'm doing now following each contest's rules as closely as I can, not stories I entered back then and am now finishing up.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

...Huh. That's a neat idea, I've never considered anyone else doing that. I'm for it, anyone else?

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Okay, I'll add them. And if anyone complains, I'll take them out. It's just the click of a button either way, right?

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin
horizon
Group Admin

3764179 3764570
Add a belated vote to the "go for it" list. It's an entry in spirit, just missed the deadline by a bit.

Probably there aren't many more viewers, but speaking only for myself, I clicked on it based on the group notification and most likely would have missed/skipped it otherwise.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

I have a voting question this time. Is the N/A column for stories that don't address the prompt? I can't think what else it would be there for.:derpyderp2:

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

Stories you don't read or have no opinion of, typically. Ones you'd want to abstain from voting on.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Oh. Okay. Thank you!

Just a quick question for those in charge of the prize pool: Is there a way I can contribute to said pool or get in touch with whomever contributes?

A great deal of my favorite fics come from the write-off, and I'm always in favor of writing events like these that try their best to remove whatever bias they can. So I'd like to fund some of the money needed to keep prizes for the top fics because I think they encourage writers--especially those who wouldn't otherwise write a timed piece--to participate.

Thornwing
Group Contributor

Not every round has prizes attached nor are they guaranteed. Most write for the fun of the writing, but it's always nice to have generous people donate to the cause.

I would suggest that if prizes are going to surface for this round, and if Roger can get the "guess the author" widget in place, that the prize go with that. I also like PP's suggestion of a sunglasses wearing fedora for the icon. 3849187 I'm not a good artist, but I'm thinking something along these lines:

Ah, no problem. :) It'll be nice to see everyone have fun regardless! Still, I'm always open if you guys need a sugar daddy sister. :raritywink:

RogerDodger
Group Admin

If you wish to organise a prize pool, you're free to do so. That's how it's been in the past.

There's no "official" prize pool because I don't want to deal with the horrible logistics of international money transfers. However, I understand that having a prize pool operate in some official capacity would be useful, so if someone wants to nominate themselves to handle it, I can try and work something out.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

I was more thinking something between

and

The specs would have to be pretty large, though, to be visible in tiny, tiny pixelvision.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

How does scoring work when there is a preliminary round?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

I updated the FAQ.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

Now that Season 5's started up, is there any policy on spoilers?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

No.

Enter at own risk.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 43