Sunset Shimmer 4,934 members · 6,779 stories
Comments ( 98 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 98

I just want to be able to discuss this with someone, so here it is: I really want Sunset Shimmer to just go back to Equestria. I mean, I'm happy that things are looking up for her in the human world at the end of Rainbow Rocks, but I still think she belongs in Equestria, especially since it's where she came from.

Sunset Shimmer was the character that made me a fan of FiM. If I'm a Brony, it's because of her. So why wouldn't someone like me want Sunset to actually be in the show? It's so unfair that the Mane Six should get to do all this awesome stuff throughout Equestria in both the show and the comics, yet all Sunset Shimmer gets is a mundane high school setting in a world she didn't even come from, where magic only seems to work when the plot needs it to work and anything out-of-the-ordinary only happens when the plot needs it to happen.

And please don't tell me "No, she actually belongs in the human world now" or "She probably doesn't want to go back to Equestria", because I've been deeply angered by Sunset Shimmer staying in the human world instead of going back to Equestria since I first watched the first EQG movie (and that was a whole year ago) and the year-long wait for Rainbow Rocks was pure torture for me, so I don't want to hear it (since I've had too many people argue with me about it as it is).

And I'm not saying this because I was impatient, but because the fact that Sunset Shimmer didn't return to Equestria not only frustrated me, but made me bitter and hoarse with rage and distorted/warped my views on the morals of not only this show, but several others, for exactly that long. Even then, I'm still a little steamed about her not going back to Equestria at the end of Rainbow Rocks. But at least the modifications made to the portal mean she could potentially appear in season five, if only for one episode (though I still wish the idea was at least discussed in-universe).

Just because a couple of things are looking good for Sunset in the human world doesn't mean she should just forget all about Equestria. She came from there and only went to the human world relatively recently, so it's not like Equestria would be completely alien to her. She could easily make friends and learn about friendship there with the Mane Six.

They could just write the human counterparts of Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle into befriending the Rainbooms and properly complete that set of characters, so that Sunset could go back home to Equestria. And she and Princess Twilight could always come back to visit them or help when the humans need it, can't they?

Please discuss.

I agree too.

3772424 get in line

your not the only one who had to wait that long just to see what would happen in the movie

and i haven't seen it and thats saying something

in the meantime enjoy this pic

also why did the entire theme of this group go from pony to human, its REALLY hard to look at

3772424 I agree with you 100% man. She really needs to return to Equestria and stay there, because she can't stay in the human world forever.

My personal head cannon is shes a child of two worlds. Yes she was born in Equestria, and spend a many a years there. But shes also spent a number of years in the human world too. If anything I see her returning to Equestria only AFTER she graduates CHS, and learned all she can about friendship from her friends.

I kinda prefer her human form over her pony counterpart. But in

Whoa there, buddy. Calm down.

What you said is nice and all, and honestly, it would be pretty cool to see.

But.

Rainbow Rocks didn't set up for that. Not yet, anyway. For the immediate future, it's pretty clear Sunset is sticking to the human world. It looks she's gonna be the star of EQG 3. There's a rumored spinoff that she would likely also star in (though I've heard that rumor has been debunked). But Sunset going back to Equestria? That's looking doubtful for the immediate future.

I get that you're upset, but you really do need to calm down and understand what the source material has given you. It's no use to get all upset about things that a) you have no control over, b) haven't even happened yet, and c) might not even be the best for the progression of the involved characters. Let the characters progress, man.

Equestria Girls 3.
>Scientist Twilight finds way into Equestria.
>Sunset Shimmer follows.
>Shenanigans.
>Buy toys.

Sunset Shimmer's being wasted as a character by staying in the human world. The human world has a counterpart for Twilight Sparkle and Spike, so it's safe to assume there's one for Sunset, too. Why not just use them, both story-wise and merchandise-wise? Why does the pony Sunset have to be obligated to stay with the humans instead of just returning to her real home in Equestria? It's not like she couldn't come back to visit CHS every so often. Princess Twilight clearly had that idea in mind, so why not Sunset?

time will tell my friend
as much i like her staying in human world, equestria is her true home im sure eventually she will be back again someday
and im pretty sure she will be return i hope soo since the staff are now working on new season but we can sure we will see sunset in equesrtia again one day eventually

we just need to be patient

I've been trying to cope with it as much as I can, but the stress of waiting so long combined with arguing with so many people that want Sunset to stay in the human world isn't doing me any favors. Not to mention that neither Meghan McCarthy nor Rebecca Shoichet have replied to any of my tweets on Twitter (which isn't working for me right now for some reason, anyhow), which is a bit frustrating on its own.

3772503 If I knew when season five was actually going to be released, maybe I would be a little more patient.

3772468 And the Equestria Academy rumor's been debunked? I sure hope so. Because I don't know about you guys, but the last thing I wanna see is more reasons/excuses for Sunset to stay in the human world any longer than she absolutely needs to. If that's where she's decided to learn about friendship, that's just fine, but she shouldn't become too attached to that place and not want to go back to Equestria.

thats the spirit! with rainbow rocks pahse already done we all can focus on ponys now since the portal can now open everytime when twilight need to visit im pretty sure something would happen

Don't forget we are getting an Equestria Girls TV series. And what do they always do with spin-offs?

Crossovers.

Sunset is probably going to make a guest appearance in Equestria sooner or later. Personally, I'm not so much wanting her to be in Equestria, as much as I want her to meet with Celestia.

3772640 According to Csquared08 above, that rumor's been debunked.

I definitely agree that she should and will go back to Equestria eventually. For now, the human world serves as a kind of therapy. Sunset has to completely re-orientate herself and find out what she wants to do with her life now, and having friends to help her along the way is a precious thing. Becoming princess is in the cards, but it's still a long road to get there if at all.

If you think about it, a high school is exactly the right place for that kind of thing. Ideally that's the place where you find out about your true calling. Once they all graduate, the others will go to various colleges or start working on the farm and so on - and I imagine at that point Sunset will go back to Equestria, because that's where her true calling lies, and because she's healed enough.

There is no rush. Sunset can spend some a couple of years in the human world without making it her permanent home forever or anything of the sort. To me it seems it's the thing she wants to do. Why do you want to force her to go to Equestria if she feels she's not ready?

Please don't bother the show makers. They have their own plans, they couldn't tell you about them if they wanted to, and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect them to reply. That goes double for Rebecca Shoichet, who is only her voice actress and has even less say in these things.

I know bro, Sunset Shimmer is awesome:twilightsmile::heart: and deserves to be in Equestria, Celestial herself has been waiting for her return. :fluttershysad:

That's still under debate. Wikipedia briefly claimed it was happening, and that France was getting it first. Equestria Daily, I believe, also commented on it. So it's still not proven whether or not it will happen or not.

Frankly, I for one think it will.

As for Sunset herself, I think part of why she stays on the human side of the mirror is that she feels it's become her home, especially since it's where she managed to find redemption for the person she was when she ran from Equestria. It makes sense, and obviously she's much more comfortable there than she is back in Equestria since she's spent so much time there and has found friendships there that she never managed in Equestria.

Methinks you are taking this whole cartoon horse thing a bit too seriously.

It's just a show. You should really just relax.

It's so unfair that the Mane Six should get to do all this awesome stuff throughout Equestria in both the show and the comics, yet all Sunset Shimmer gets is a mundane high school setting in a world she didn't even come from, where magic only seems to work when the plot needs it to work and anything out-of-the-ordinary only happens when the plot needs it to happen.

Yeah, but look at it from Sunset's point of view. The human world isn't mundane to her: She has this whole alien society to explore. There's no magic, but there's plenty of things she would never have seen in Equestria, like the internet and video games and stuff. Heck, ponies freak out at the thought of clouds that move by themselves. Sunset essentially stepped through that portal and found the Everfree Planet, yet the dominate species somehow manage to live comfortable without magic. That must have been kinda mindblowing for her.

Besides, it's only as mundane as you imagine it to be. Clearly there is some supernatural stuff going on - magic artifacts still work, and at least one Equestrian wizard used the place as a dumping ground for dangerous immortal monsters. That mirror portal has been opening regularly for at least a thousand years, and apparently it's not the only path available, so who knows what kind of bizarre stuff ended up on the wrong side over time? It's totally possible for Sunset to have all sorts of adventures. Especially since she's probably one of the few people around who has serious magical training.

Anyway, at this point she can essentially go home whenever she feels like it - clearly she wants to stay with the humans. If you really like her as a character, maybe you should respect that?

3772727 Look, I can think of plenty of reasons for her to back to Equestria a little early. To visit her family (assuming they're still alive), to apologize to Princess Celestia, or to try making friends in her own world. And again, she doesn't have to completely abandon the human world by going back. She could always go back to visit/help her human friends or attend classes at Canterlot High.

And yes, I'm aware Rebecca Shoichet has nothing to do with the writing, but I don't bug her about that, anyhow. I just think it would be nice to get some kind of response of some kind from her about anything, considering she voices my favorite MLP character of all time.

And I know Meghan McCarthy can't spoil stuff, but just ignoring someone that's on-edge doesn't make them less so, it just leaves room for unrest and paranoia. A simple "Take it easy, and we'll see what happens." would suffice.

Looking a little deeper that does appear to be the case. It wasn't really a rumor though, more like a misunderstanding of some kind.

The initial articles claimed it was to be released in some sort of event that already happened. And we got 0 information since the announcement months ago. I dunno, but it seems fairly unlikely at this point.

3772737 Except we don't know whether or not staying behind with the humans was Sunset Shimmer's own honest-to-Celestia decision, considering it's never brought up at all in either of the movies.

3772734 Uh...she didn't have friends in Equestria because she didn't try making friends there the last time she was there. What side she was redeemed on shouldn't make a difference. There's no telling how many friends she could make if she went back to Equestria now.

Plus , I think she'd be more comfortable in Equestria since she's done more damage in the human world then she ever did in Equestria. It's like living in a Mexican town that you shot up a week ago, that you only ran away to in the first place because you didn't want to pay the damage for accidentally wrecking your mom's car five years ago in Idaho.

Besides, I already told you people I didn't want anyone to bring up the "Sunset doesn't want to go back"/"Sunset belongs with the humans now" thing. This discussion was meant for the people that do want Sunset Shimmer to go back to Equestria. I've already gone back and forth with tons of people about this "Should Sunset go back or stay?" thing, and arguing about it some more will just make it even worse, so give me a break! It's like you're trying to kill me with my own stress. I'm serious, I'm not exactly in the right condition--or mood--to have a flame war just for speaking my mind. So please stop arguing with me because this isn't something I take lightly...at all, and I don't want to end up having a panic attack over a kid's show. I'm honestly surprised as it is that I haven't had a heart attack by now.

Right, and since there is nothing to suggest that anyone placed any restrictions on Sunset Shimmer on whether or not she wants to go back to Equestria or not, the most likely explanation is that she chose not to. The magic of Occam's Razor.

No one's been doing an ounce of flaming so far. A lot of people have disagreed with you. If you can't handle that, you really shouldn't be posting in any public space. This is a Sunset Shimmer fan group on a writing site; people are going to want to discuss the character and her motivations, and you kind of don't get to say "Shut up", no matter if you opened this thread or not.

3772975 I don't mind if people disagree with me, but when I get ten or so comments that miss the point of this thread, that's when I get agitated. If they at least put more effort into why going back to Equestria would be a bad thing (besides saying "it would be cowardly to run from her problems", because what do you think Sunset did by staying in the human world in the first place?) and not just making the same generic arguments about why she would/should stay with the humans, then maybe I could tolerate it.

And really, I would love to take it easy, but something like this isn't something I can just "get over", since it's not only frustrated me that Sunset stayed in the human world, but it's left a gaping hole in my mind that's filled with bitterness and hatred like nothing I've ever experienced before. I may have gotten angry at a lot of stuff in the past, but this takes the cake! It really does! I've never been so angry at one thing for so long in all my life, and I've watched all kinds of terrible movies and cartoons, but this one thing from a movie I like has apparently scarred me for life, and the only one that can truly understand this...is me. :(

As a note, if you're just looking for people to agree with you, this ain't the place for that. Besides, as
3772975 brings up, the reason she hasn't gone back? Probably because she didn't want to. So while you may want her to, that doesn't mean she has to want to.

3773056 If it was explicitly stated that it was Sunset's own decision to stay there and for how long, and not that she and/or Twilight just didn't think about the idea of going back to Equestria, then I would accept that. But instead, the movies keep stuff like this way too vague for anyone to be certain.

If I knew for absolute certain that staying in the human world was all Sunset's idea because she either wasn't ready to go back to Equestria or had no interest in doing so whatsoever, then I would probably stop squabbling with everyone and wait patiently for the next EQG movie to see more of Sunset Shimmer.

Well look at it this way. We know Sunset was very much aware of the times when the portal would open and close and clearly had some knowledge of what was going on in Equestria. How? Well remember that the first three seasons of the show take place over the course of a single year. Yet despite this, Sunset is aware of the return of the Elements, of who had it, etc. etc. And yet she chose to stay in the human world even after the elements were used on her. She chooses to remain again even though Twilight was able to open the portal well ahead of the time when it was supposed to.

In short, Sunset's choice to stay in the human world is shown from the word go. Especially after her encounter with the Elements.

Still wasn't brought up at all. She could've just as easily not thought about it or simply felt she wasn't ready to go back yet. And considering how rushed the ending of the first movie was and how Sunset was quickly brushed off to the side, that wouldn't be too surprising. This is something you call a "plot hole", when an issue is brought up not by something that happens in-universe, but because of cheap writing.

I can totally understand if she really made that choice to stay at CHS and not go back to Equestria at all, but I need proof that it was her choice. If it wasn't brought up in dialogue during either movie or confirmed by someone that actually worked on the show that it was her choice and idea, it's just speculation, and should be treated as such.

3773109 Everything you said up to now are very excellent points. Don't let the neigh-sayers (sorry, couldn't resist) tell you differently.:rainbowdetermined2:

I don't have time to say everything I want to right now, but here's the gist of it:
1) I want to see more Sunset too.
2) But I think that Sunset needs to stay at CHS for the same reasons Twilight is still in Ponyville. Rainbow Rocks was basically the first two episodes of the show retold with Sunset as Twilight and Twilight as Celestia. And just like Twilight wanted to and needed to stay in Ponyville instead of going back to Canterlot, Sunset needs to (and probably wants to) stay at CHS for the time being.

Again, Sunset could easily have just run through the portal while everyone else was enjoying the dance at the end of the first film. She didn't. And she blatantly stays on the human side of the mirror when Twilight goes back in the second, even though she could just as easily have gone through. That in and of itself implies that she chose to stay. After all, the portal wasn't on a time limit or anything, and she could have just written to Twilight saying she wanted to go back to Equestria. But instead what does she write about? She writes about how things are looking up for her in the human world and that she might occasionally write to Twilight asking for advice on how to be a good friend. If she really wanted to go back...why not say so? Or at least write about that to Twilight at the end of Rainbow Rocks. It's clearly not even something that crosses her mind to do. So she's pretty clearly chosen where she wants to be.

3773184 Thank you. It's good to know I'm not alone here.

3773210 Dude, Bauglir said from the very beginning that he did not want to deal with this kind of thing from stubborn neighsayers like you. Stop arguing with him using repeated points (which only lose their value with every time you repeat them) and let it go.:ajbemused:

3773210 Speculation, speculation, speculation.

3773209 Except that Ponyville was practically on Canterlot's doorstep (only a couple hours of travel between the two locations), so it's not like Twilight would've been far from Canterlot, anyway. Canterlot High School, on the other hand, is in a completely separate world that can only be accessed through a portal that normally only works under a certain time limit or (after Twilight's mods) when a magical object is channeling energy into it. So it's hardly a fair comparison.

If he didn't want to discuss this, he shouldn't have brought it up. Asking people to agree with you because you don't want to have an actual discussion is pretty pointless.

Actually, given that this is all taken from the films themselves, there's no speculation here. That's using facts taken right from the source.

Dude. Very concise and well worded. Hi-hoof! /)

3773260 You're just using details from the movies and making it look like evidence, when in fact it doesn't explain anything about what I'm looking for. Just because Sunset isn't clambering for the portal or begging on hand and knee for Twilight to open the portal for her doesn't mean she doesn't want to go back. Maybe she's nervous about going back, maybe she doesn't think she's ready to go back, or maybe there's something else she has to take care of before it's time for her to ask Twilight to re-open the portal.

3773272 3773279 Not well said. "Clearly she wants to stay in the human world." You guys can't say that as if you know it for sure, because you DON'T. Nobody knows that for sure including you guys. Besides, this technically is a whole lot of specualtion from two opposing sides. Bauglir wanted to find some people who agree with him on what he says.

He also clearly stated that those of you who are backlashing him are at least half of the reason that his frustration is not leaving. Clearly, the whole lot of you neighsayers did not read all of his comments down to every last detail and are being inconsiderate of him because of it. You're just being as stubborn and thickskulled as Applejack was in Applebuck Season.

Okay, first off...no. Having a different opinion from him is not a bad thing. In fact that's the entire reason to have a discussion. To discuss different points of view. It doesn't have to be an argument, but it also doesn't have to be a circle jerk where everyone agrees with everyone else. He's more than welcome to his opinion, but telling us we shouldn't present our opinions is a slap in the face to the idea of even having a discussion. If he just wanted someone to agree with him...well, he should find people who already agreed with him in the first place and only talked to them about it. Instead he came to a place where everyone with an opinion could respond. He's got nobody to blame but himself if people don't agree with him about this.

And as it is, the films have shown us that Sunset had ample opportunity to return to Equestria if she had wanted to. And she never does. That's clear indication that she chose where she wanted to be, not speculation. What would be speculation would be the idea that she didn't want to stay, and then having to come up with a reason for her to stay despite that. Because we know flat out that both films give her the chance to return, and both times, she never does. That doesn't suggest to me that she wanted to leave.

I understand that different opinions are what make discussions work, but you guys are turning this into a debate. You're introducing hostility into a thread posted by someone that was trying to get rid of hostility.

And maybe she didn't want to leave...at least, not yet. It doesn't mean that she doesn't want to go back eventually....

I would say period, actually. Again, two films go by, and she never once takes the opportunity to leave. Granted, that could change, but at this point, all indications given by the films are that she seems to be happy where she's at right now. Again, I know YOU want her to go back to Equestria, as you said as much in the thread topic, but at the moment, Sunset herself obviously does not. Thus, there's currently no reason for her to want to go back. Time will tell if this continues to be true, but given what they've shown, I don't see any reason for it not to stay that way.

3773356 I'm just saying even if she had no interest in doing so immediately, and I really wouldn't mind if that were the case, there's no reason to assume she's not interested in returning to Equestria later. And even if one day she did decide to go back to Equestria, that doesn't mean she'd never want to visit the human world again. That is what I'm saying! So please, please stop dealing in absolutes, and agree to disagree so we can all move on! I don't like arguing about this anymore than you guys do.

Except that's not what you said. You thought she belonged in Equestria and felt it was bad that she didn't. Your opening post was literally all about hating that she chose to stay in the human world, and literally tried to tell people they shouldn't have their own opinions on that. As seen right here: 3772424

So while yes, I do believe she might someday be interested in peeking in for the occasional visit, I don't believe she's going to just suddenly up and want to leave a place where she's found friends and a place she feels she belongs permanently. Hell, to be honest I think I might have felt exactly the opposite if she had suddenly returned to Equestria after the events of Rainbow Rocks. After all the time she spent in the human world, for her to just go back to Equestria after fighting so hard to be accepted at CHS? It would be like throwing away all that work.

3773423 No, it would be like CHS was a training ground, and Equestria was the real mission. And how fitting, since CHS is a high school, where you learn stuff? It's like she could learn how to make friends at Canterlot High School so that she's ready to turn her life around when she finally goes back to Equestria.

But if you want to really prove yourself, sometimes you have to work harder. Sunset staying at CHS is pretty much the equivalent of someone playing the first level of a video game over and over just because it's easy. But the real experience comes in the later levels. I've recently realized of course, that going back to Equestria (with all its flashy magic and dangerous monsters in every forest clearing) straight away is like using a cheat code or secret warp zone to skip to the later levels, which could turn out to be either as easy as you'd expect or hard as hell.

Hey, maybe this thread wasn't all that bad! XD

See that's where we differ. Because if anything, Canterlot was the training ground, especially if you've seen the comic. She failed there. She then runs off to the human world, and there, she ultimately succeeds. By comparison, Twilight is where the idea you just proposed works. Canterlot is again the training ground, but Ponyville is the 'mission'.

Completely agree with 3772737 -- along with what he said about why Sunset's still In HumyWorld, but even more so the first thing.

This is going to sound like being a dick, but I promise you it's not. It's words from someone who's been there and has had to deal. I'm all for Sunset to stay in the human world, but it sucks to be where you are and y'know what? I'll go ahead and address it.

Welcome to the club, 3772424 -- and by that I mean, "The Club Where Hasbro Done Did Something You Hate." I'm part of this club, and I'm sure over half the people in this thread are as well. Oh, some might deny it, but we're coming up on Episode 100 -- they'd be lying by sheer dint of averages. :pinkiehappy: As much as it sucks that I'l never have my wonderful actually-flawed unicorn Twilight Sparkle back ever again, being part of the CWHDDSYH provides one of the best things you can attain in this life: perspective.

The easiest way to deal with your predicament is time and knowledge. Time allows wounds to heal, and for Hasbro to get their heads out of their asses (which the have been known to do from time to time!). Keep hope alive. Additionally, knowledge that there's little point to being angry at things you can't change is a priceless thing. More so not being mad at things that are, at their core, happy and wonderful.

It's okay to not be happy at executive decision, but no matter what, the one person who you'll find cares the most about it is you. Life will go on.

However, little note? You're posting this rant on a fanfiction forum. I'll leave it at that. :raritywink:

3773444 Read the comment now that I actually finished typing/editing it, please.

3773423 Fine then, keep insisting that you're right about this, to be quite frank, I don't really care what you say anymore, now you're just coming off as very rude, when all I was doing was agreeing with my friend, sticking by him, and sticking up for him. Just do what Bauglir says and agree to disagree and then:ajbemused: JUST LEAVE...IT...AT...THAT.:ajbemused:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 98