Sunset Shimmer 4,925 members · 6,759 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

Working on a story of mine, and can't quite come to terms with how Princess Celestia would react to finding out about Sunset Shimmer's apparent change. At first thought, you'd think she would be glad to hear that her former pupil is leaning heavily towards a more friendly mindset, but would that be the case? Could she accept it, or think it was all a deceitful scheme on Sunset's part?

Input would be appreciated.

Edit: Thank you all for the informative help! <3

3759082 I might be biast because Sunset is Celestia's adopted daughter in my head-cannon, but I think she would be happy to see the change.

3759082 I think she could accept it. Celestia was more than willing to give Discord a second chance, even after everything he did.

To me it might depend on how soon after the finale of the first movie you're thinking (and I assume you're talking before Rainbow Rocks).

If it's after some time has passed, have you read Jondor's "deleted scene" bit which is intended to fit into RR between when Sunny wrote in the book and when it showed up to Twilight? Glimmerglaze also has a chapter dealing with that same period of time, and I love how both of them approached Celestia's feelings.

I can link 'em later, but should be fairly straightforward to find both with the search here.

For my own part, I'd like to think she's very hopeful and knows that Sunset has that spark of good deep inside, and would be eager to accept it. I think after Twilight's recount at the end of the first movie she'd not be too suspect of any further bad intent on Sunny's part.

Hmmm. Good question. My thoughts:

To quote an overused meme: why not both?

Certainly she'd be overjoyed to hear the news; in SS's origin story she likens her failure with Sunset Shimmer to that of her own sister. I doubt she'd have been able to let go of the past. (I still say there's an abandoned Shimmer Workshop in Canterlot Castle somewhere.)

I wager she'd be overjoyed to know Sunset's turning over a new leaf, but at the same time, I don't see any reason for her to act any differently than Twilight did at the start of Rainbow Rocks, even with Twilight vouching for her. Possibly more so given how much more heck SS put her through. She'd be happy yet a little world-weary. She might act a little irrational at first (warning Twilight of SS hijacking the Elements' magic? Maybe devise some "tests" if she and SS are about to be in close vicinity anytime soon?) but would also be able to listen to reason and believe in hope.

tl;dr: Hoping and wishing for the best, but never ruling out the worst.

This is just me throwing stuff out though.

It's Celestia. She's not really the type to hold grudges and she's able to see good in almost anypony. She never once blamed Luna for the whole Nightmare Moon thing, not to mention she was the one who decided to give Discord a shot at redemption, and she kinda hated that guy. She's really forgiving, is what I'm basically saying.

Heck, Sunset didn't even do anything particularly evil in Equestria, she just ran away. If anything, Celestia probably blamed herself for not being a better teacher. I'd expect she would be relieved to hear Sunset is doing alright.

Celestia's personality has always struck me as a bottler and represser. I would think that she would take anyone telling her that Sunset has changed with grace and dignity and outwardly wish for the best of her. However, Sunset coming to tell her directly would probably lead to her dismissing everypony in the room to be alone with Sunset and then bawling over Sunset. The seal on her repressed emotions completely undone.

Coincidentally this is also how I think she would have reacted after she and Luna were alone. Celestia has always just struck me as the one to put on the bravest most dignified mask in front of everyone and would prefer to keep her heart's true emotions in control until she can be alone with those involved. I would also state, that if I had my way, Celestia would cry at every funeral and wedding. Also, children would be her one true weakness. Basically what I am saying is Celestia is a big softy. (to me anyways)

3759082 There is absolutely no reason Celestia would ever be suspicious of Sunset Shimmer in that way. It isn't in her nature.

3759219 Indeed. Regardless of how their time together ended, Sunset Shimmer is still a student of Celestia's. I don't think Celestia would have any reason to believe that Sunset Shimmer's reformation wasn't legit.

That's from when Sunset run off. It is clear she hoped reconciliation was possible.

Also asking what had happened to her was the first thing Celestia asked Twilight when she came back in the first movie, so I definitely think she would be very open to reconciliation.

I'm with the others, she would be happy to see Sunset walk the path of redemption

Dud,e she forgave her sister for attempted murder and attempted genocide in less than two minutes. She gave Discord, a literal embodiment of chaos she has seen ruin the world actively and maliciously just for his own amusement, the benefit of the doubt and let him have a chance to reform. A former student she really cares for coming back after all these years after having thrown a minor fit and having learned the power of friendship? I'm surprised Celestia isn't making Twilight rig up the mirror for her own jump at this point.

I think it's clear by now that everyone here agrees that Celestia would definitely be glad to know Sunset is changing for the better.

I want to see such a scene like that become canon!:fluttercry::rainbowkiss::raritystarry:

i would say she would be both happy and upset. happy that sunset is doing so well, and upset that she didn't return. i'm sure celestia thinks of celestia like a daughter just as much, if only a little less, than twilight

3773316 You mean Sunset Shimmer, right?

3773608 no, celestia. she would be happy for sunset, but sad that she isn't coming back

i'm sure celestia thinks of celestia like a daughter just as much, if only a little less, than twilight

You've got two Celestias, and I'm pretty sure you mean for one of them to be Sunset Shimmer.

3773677 :twilightblush: yeah. my mistake there

3759219 wrote " There is absolutely no reason Celestia would ever be suspicious of Sunset Shimmer in that way. It isn't in her nature. "

I find myself actually agreeing with you.

Me.

Agreeing with Moth?

*sounds of ice forming quickly*

Hey what do you know, Hell just froze over.

To answer the original poster's question.

Celestia would be overjoyed to have Sunset back, though she would be... disturbed at Sunset's human-form acquired love of meat then.

The disturbance turning to horror when Sunset mentioned eating beef, cow.

Though it would go back to mere disturbance when Sunset said the animals on Earth are not sentient/sapient.

Overall... Celestia would be overjoyed to have Sunset back, though disturbed at Sunset's eating habbits.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20