The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,458 members · 49,243 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Fiaura #1 · Apr 11th, 2019 · · 3 ·

So we did the thing, it took a monumental effort and 3 1/2 months to get our court declaration through.

Now I just have to work with Amazon and Barnes&Noble to finish getting it in stores.

*hangs head and smiles*

Support the Project by getting your own today: https://rena-miller.squarespace.com/shop/fallout-equestria-dead-tree-volume-1

How in the stinking galaxy is this possible? Are both Hasbro and Bethesda OK with this? For once, I would very much like to check this out.

All hail the former Queen Quake! :pinkiehappy:

Seriously, congratulations.

Congratulations!

I would like to know how this was done likewise :raritywink:

How did you do it? I'll love my story to be published. No really, though. How? Congrats!!!!

Alright so long detailed thing I can talk about now that this is not an ongoing court case.

1. You must apply to the copyright courts for a Writ of Declaration. Purpose: Declare Parody.
2. You have to PROVE in court with lawyers whom you are paying to grill you and otherwise disprove your parody. They're goal is to prove you are fanfiction by reading your work and then bombarding you with questions to justify the classification of parody.
3. once you've done all this, the 3 copyright attoneys and a judge will give a hearing to present their findings. If you have proven parody, you pay your court fees, your legal fees, and then you get a Writ of Declaration. Similar to how somene wants to file a declaration but for copyright.
4. Mail the writ to the companies in question with a Signature required so you have a time and day of receipt. They have 30 days to file a lawsuit to prove your writ is null and void. You however have the advantage because their counter suit is an appeal not from the position of strength they would be at otherwise. More over, if they file suit and lose; it opens the door for others to use your case as president. So it becomes easier for them to just let it go.
5. There is a problem with a parody, most 3rd party publishers won't help you publish it. So you're on your way with publication fees and working to get the book into stores or where it needs to go.

Total Cost for all of this:
7000$ USD Dollars (Lawyers & Court Costs including the 4th Lawyer who was defending me and helping me through the process)
3 1/2 months of weekly 1 hour sessions in court
2800$ Printing Fees
300$ Postage
Total: 10100$ USD.

Odds I'll ever make money on this, depends if I can sell 315 copies (Break even assuming no more major postage fees). More realistically I need to sell 500 copies to break even.

Jesus Christ on a bike that's magnificent. Congratulations on succeeding in making your fanfiction an actual book.

Former! I'm Queen Quake this year too. I'm the only actor to ever play her ;)

Legally it's not Fanfiction, It's a Parody ;)

Congrats on all your hard work paying off.

That is a lot of legal stuff! Congratulations by the way. :pinkiehappy:

Kudos to you and your helpers/staff.

Now, if we can get a mod maker to bring your story to life in the game.

Oh ya know that might be amazing.

personaly never liked Fallout Equestira much

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15