The Great and Not Obsessive Trixie 1,640 members · 2,050 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Obsidian Raindrop
Group Admin

Like the title said write the reason you like Trixie so much.

Oh and when did you start liking trixie.

Obsidian Raindrop
Group Admin

I like her because she wears a hat. Plus her outfit's so cool Twilight dressed up as her for nightmare night.

I started liking Trixie Or rather my interest was peaked when a story I read offhandedly mentioned how she was totally shafted by the events of the canon.

Azure Sandora
Group Contributor

I look at her as a dark version of Twilight, and as a character that has a lot of potential. I feel she's a character that can go in so many directions that for me she's really easy to write for.

Interestingly enough I started liking Trixie when I started writing for her. I made her a character in Inner Demons, and I was so fascinated with her characterization that I just fell in love with her. By the time I wrote Ultramare I knew that she had a special place in my heart.

Well I like her cape, her magical abilities, her confidence, (and of course) Kathleen Barr's amazing voice.

She also interests me as a character that's not quite as friendly as Twilight, but not as evil as Sunset-so out of the three of them she seems like more of a magical neutral and after each appearance I keep finding myself looking forward to what the writers are going to do with her next.

Besides, doesn't every great character need an awesome rival?

I started liking Trixie because of Trixie-haters. I continued liking Trixie because she has a unique and interesting visual design, a great voice actress, and her personality is... well, unique and interesting. Her flaws are definitely on full display, so I can see how she might grate on some people, but I find her persona interesting.

There's a few other things that I really like about her. She's an excellent foil for Twilight, obviously, but to a slightly lesser extent Trixie is a great foil for the rest of the Mane6 as well. In terms of personality, she contrasts well against Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy, while sharing some personality traits with Rainbow Dash (overconfidence) and Rarity (flair for the dramatic). Additionally, we don't know anything about where Trixie's from, where she's going, what her motivations are, and why she puts on her Great and Powerful act. There's a lot to work with there, and I've seen some pretty interesting fan works take advantage of it.

Also, I'm certain the lesson I walked away with after watching Boast Busters is not the one the writers were selling. It's kind of hard not to sympathize with Trixie, considering the way things turned out for her... and that's before you see what happened in that flashback during Magic Duel. Her expression, man.

Because being mocked whenever you show your face in public and having your new home vandalized after previously losing your home and possessions is appropriate punishment for what Trixie was actually responsible for.

She almost fits my personality '"almost" she has personality to show off wherever she goes (I do the same damn thing and very successful at it) but most definitely won't talk 3rd personally like she does for I am not part Khajiit! As well as she has a good body (Not in that way you bastards!)

:trixieshiftright:

Trixie brings out some of the best in Twilight. Twilight's magical solution to the ursa minor was a creative mix of several spells. I loved that sort of intelligent solving of a problem, not just throwing a bunch of magical might behind some special effects beam.

Later on in Magic Duel, we saw spells being used against each other. Again, it was neat. It was magic.

Outside of dealing with Trixie, Twilight tends to max out at maybe one or two spells tops in an episode, often as more of a plot device than anything else. Against some foes, like the tatzl worm in Three's Company, or Tirek in the finale, or the plant things in Princess Twilight Sparkle Part II, Twilight just fires boring energy beams. Sure they were "high powered" beams in the finale, but still just dumping magical energy at something. Nothing really creative or intelligent about it.

I also like Trixie's overall design. From looks, to speech quirks, to personality. She's very different from the relatively sedentary Ponyville natives. Even if she remains strictly a villain/antagonist forever, she is memorable and fun.

I don't really like most of the fan depictions of her that try to dumb down her character or redeem her. I especially don't really like how most fics try to twist her into either a revenge-obsessed Twilight-hater or twist that into foe-love/tsundere. I prefer depictions that take her strong personality and offer something more like a compromise with others like Twilight. Bring them to understand who she is and why she is the way she is, and meet in the middle, rather than simply have her change to fit the ideals of the main characters.

I also like stories that show how hard of a worker and intelligent Trixie can be.

Mostly though, I just like how self-confident she is. If nothing else, she is one brave pony.

Probably everyone else has said what I think.

She's a good foil for Twilight. She shares many of Twilight's traits but conflict on a few others, so there's common ground but also room for conflict. (Which is why shipping them is very interesting.) As an antagonist, she shares Twilight's advantage of magic, being considerably above the average unicorn, but she's still a regular unicorn. As such, Twilight can't just go 'bigger gun' on her, because that would make her a murderer. Instead, Twilight has a chance to show her magic chops and wit against an opponent who can appreciate finesse and skill, and could probably give her a good run in return. Heck, one of the comic covers show them having a duel and smiling happily, evidently enjoying the competition immensely.

She's also interesting because she breaks the mold. She's different from the protagonists, being a lone traveler who looks out for herself. She stands out from the crowd, as befits her chosen lifestyle. She also has a curious moral compass that doesn't fit the cookie-cutter 'nice pony' mindset but still works; she looks down on other ponies, but she's willing to fight an Ursa Minor because there are children at risk. She's immensely confident, which can translate into a curious kind of courage. She's abrasive, but that's hardly a crime, and I think her not pretending to be sugar-sweet gives her more integrity.

Her magic talent also gives her much room to establish her as capable in her own way (in a way different from Twilight); she's good at what she does, the way she does it. It's something that tends to come up in a lot of stories I follow, actually - Trixie has her own way of doing it, and sometimes even surprises Twilight. It makes them 'different but on equal footing', which I think is more interesting than her being an incompetent bumbler or aspiring to be Twilight Sparkle mk2.

She's confident, determined and charismatic. Even as an antagonist, she's more neutral than evil, and you can find sympathy in her motivation. Given how much she's suffered on the show, you just want to hug her and tell her that she'll get her dues soon enough.

And she has a very pleasing appearance and mannerism, and I love her voice.

To tell the truth, I didn't see much to our unicorn to start off with. "A boisterous, loud pony with one episode? What is even the point with her. Why?"

But then I read Getting back on her hooves and that turned me.

I love the fact that she is a boistrous and overconfident character. That she has an ego that makes Dash's look tame in comparison. I have fallen in love with her design and the fact that I love stage magicians is a bonus.

I also love the fact that she serves as a far better foil for Twilight then Sunset ever can. She has a lot more flair and drama to her that allows for her to be so. At the same time, she can work as a redeemer, somepony who needs to fight back for all of her love and fame.

Frankie2
Group Contributor

Why I like Trixie.

At first, I was like a lot of people and thought Trixie was just an arrogant snob. It wasn't until I came to this site and read Leap of Faith: Twilight vs. The Great and Powerful Trixie that I started to think there was more to her than that. So, I looked for more Trixie stories. The New and Reborn Trixie, A Fallen Star, and Kindness' Reward are the one that really made me really rethink Trixie. I view Trixie is a mare as that is very redeemable. I also believe she has a vulnerable side to her that she would rather die than show. That deep down she wants ponies to like her, to respect her, and be her friend. Yet, confuses friendship with admiration. This is why I like 'The Great and Powerful' Trixie.

Before I start I need to admit something...Magic Duel was my first episode. With that out of the way let me list the reasons! Trixie is basically a story that's waiting to be told. Most people imagine Trixie as a one-dimensional braggart who speaks in third-person. Although I did enjoy Trixie in her respective episodes it's the end of Magic Duel that got me. She talks in 1st person . There I saw that there's more to this character that we have been let on. Then I discovered fimfiction and the multiple interpretations of a Trixie. My personal favorite being Godzillawolf's.
But considering after Magic Duel we won't be seeing our favorite magician anytime soon so choosing a Trixie is like choosing a religion. Which one do you want to believe in? So that whenever we see Trixie in her episodes again we can get a better interpretation of what exactly is going on in that brain of hers. Something stories and novels are masters of. So you can make your own interpretation. Or spread the word about your favorite interpretation the choice is up to you. Besides that I am a sucker for quirky speech patterns. (Probably why I like Phoenix Wright so much) And Trixie serves as a great rival to Twilight and got farther than Nightmare Moon in terms of her role as a villain. And boy is she fun to watch! "Trixie doesn't trust wheels." Oh Trixie never change. Oh wait...

Oh and when did you start liking trixie.

When I stopped being an autistic sperglord who saw the world in black and white and treated everything the Mane 6 did or said as gospel.

Here's why I like Trixie, summarized. Applies primarily to my Trixie, but mine's fairly close to the limited canon.

You also might want to read An Extended Performance.

It is like with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, as a character Mickey can only be the Good Guy, but Donald? he can be almost anything.

Trixie is the same, it is much more versatile than Twilight (i never bought those "twilight turn evil" fanfics) she can be good, can be a villain, can be the jerk with a hearth of gold or the not-exactly-evil-but-still-a-plothole that would help you only if she can gain something from it.

Trixie have just more potential as a character and more room for growth.

And she got the short end of the stick. A performer enter town, tell a story, somebody bring a dangerous beast in town (that destroy all her possession, incidentaly) and she is blamed for it? WTB Ponies!? WTB!?

Beside she is the GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE, how can you not like her?

3299259 Hmm, why do I like Trixie? Well, she's got that way of speaking for one thing. She's just one of those charicters that are fun to write and good for comedy.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15