World-Building Alliance 2,162 members · 839 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Wanderer D
Group Admin

The World-Building Alliance is a group dedicated to expanding the world of sentient species in Equestria OTHER than humans and ponies.

The purpose of this place—and thus the purpose of the story folders—is to promote the work and world-building related to those issues. Especially the material generated by members here.

It's NOT a group created to take in fanfics for people seeking popularity or just because you think 'this story is cool!OMGeveryoneshouldreadit!'. That is an abuse of this group (and of the system itself) and will NOT be tolerated.

While I've been busy I haven't had time to really comb through, but in the last two days I noticed stories being added or having been added that had NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with what we're trying to do here.

Human in Equestria? Spike as a dog?

That's not tolerable.

We'll be combing through the folders soon enough to get rid of stories that have nothing to do with the WBA and we'll set a few more ground rules where everyone here can see them.

Members are encouraged to report to me or any other admin of the WBA when unrelated stories are posted.

I don't care if the story is amazing or omg so deep or a true classic. If it has nothing to do with this group, it doesn't belong here. I didn't create this only for it to be just another 'throw me anything' groups.

If you're a member of this group, show some respect to others.

People didn't come to this World-Building group to read fan fiction about vamponies. They're still ponies. Only "omg monster now". That's not a new species nor an actual society that needs to be developed or expanded upon.

Worse even, despite the fact that there's a specific announcement saying NO HUMANS, stories with human main characters interacting with ponies alone have been added.

What the hell, people? If you simply must have a human thrown in there for whatever reason, AT LEAST have the decency to expand on other species that might be native to Equestria. 'Humans' related to Equestria are from a completely different universe canonically.

Nor is your PinkieDash fic allowed. What is that even doing here.

This is not about spamming the group with any story just because. This group has a specific purpose, and if you consider yourself a member, then respect that objective or get out.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

>mfw I find anthro celestia in the Other folder

RainbowBob
Group Admin

Come now, Plum, don't judge so quickly about that story, the anthro tag is a totally legitimate tag that serves a purpose of—and I'm just yanking your chain, it's all fucking clop, all of it! :rainbowlaugh:

3318150 Yes captain D... Is that okay for me to call you? Anyway, world building about perytons is legal for this group, correct?

I'm saving that.

Just for clarification, as long as its not ponies or humans, its okay?

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Pretty much. Also, uncommon pony kinds (seaponies, crystal ponies, etc) are also cool

Wanderer D
Group Admin

3318343 as long as it's world - building related in some way

3318366 What if its a ritual or something like that?

3318385 Like what if its a tradition or practice of a certain race you want to write and explain in a story can that be accepted here?

Comment posted by Ebony Gryphon deleted May 29th, 2014
archonix
Group Admin

3318427 A ritual sounds like it would be okay to me, as long as it isn't ponies or humans.

3318484 Okay, thanks a lot for replying. :scootangel:

I was wondering, is a unique sub category of Diamond dogs Against the rules, Cause i have an idea I've been wanting to put down. Its basically tailing how they evolved and adapted, while surviving and building a unique culture in a new environment.

Diamond dog outcast's + Frozen North = Tundra Dog's

(Working on name)

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Basically, the only rules governing what species you post threads about are as follows:
1) No standard ponies
2) No humans
3) Don't make it "X in Equestria" (crossovers or what have you)

3318823 Good, its non of those things. Thanks

Wanderer D
Group Admin

3318946 It wasn't locked, that is the main issue. People keep adding stuff that's not related at all to the group. You should be able to add the story.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

3318971 3319045
It's not locked, it's set to contributor only for the moment, while we figure out the best way to deal with all the spam in it.

3318366 Ponies of the pre-equestrian era?:pinkiehappy:

:scootangel:

:trollestia:

3319250 If that's allowed then I've got no problem. Half of the stories I'm writing are set in that time.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Again, they're cool. The "No Ponies" rule is because practically every story out there has some worldbuilding for teh pones, whether it be how much power the princesses actually wield, what role the Element bearers have in society, Starswirl the Bearded, etc.

Pre-equestrian ponies are fair game.

People didn't come to this World-Building group to read fan fiction about vamponies. They're still ponies. Only "omg monster now". That's not a new species nor an actual society that needs to be developed or expanded upon.

Given that currently popular vampire (and other monster) stories seem to include a whole hidden society as often as not, you might want to clarify whether pony monsters with their own society qualify for the group or not. Specially because unusual ponies with their own society seem to qualify.

While I've never written a story in this vein, this does cut somewhat close to home for me because I'm a (former) World of Darkness RPG player, so I'm used to thinking about such human pony variants having their own hidden society.

BTW, though it might be a bit brash on my part to suggest this on my first post in this group, perhaps describing the desired focus of the stories by the society mainly represented would be better than basing it on the races of the characters. I get the feeling that a story about the Mane 6 interacting with, and learning about, Zebra culture would be a better fit for the group than a common Zecora (or Gilda) story set in Ponyvile. Or a Daring Do story about exploring Giraffe ruins, one that explores the culture of the people that lived there, might be a better fit than a story about an actual Giraffe that has lived in a pony city for a long time.

Wanderer D
Group Admin

3321386 No one said you can't have ponies or use the mane 6. The point though is that it focuses on other species, and not on the ponies.

I'm an RPGer and I played World of Darkness so I see where you're coming from, but for example, vampires had their own subculture separate from mankind, but they were originally (and pretty much inside) human. Werewolves on the other hand, were creatures of Gaia that were tied to human form and had elements from wolf society and the spirit world with minor and major entities that shaped their entire culture. In that sense, they were a much more separate species from humans than vampires.

What we don't want is "I get turned into a vampony and suddenly omg so much going on behind the scenes." Because it's not really a different species. It's a pony turned into a monster who has to deal with the secret life of others like her.

So, vamponies/whatever underground sub-race from birth, possibly okay. Twilight/other getting embraced, definitely not okay. Correct?

3318150 Just kill zem all. It is plan by sandvich.

It's NOT a group created to take in fanfics for people seeking popularity or just because you think 'this story is cool!OMGeveryoneshouldreadit!'.

Human in Equestria?

That's not tolerable.

What about a race of bald yetis (well very lightly furred) that live on that big island on the other side of the Zebrican Sub-continent? You know, the one with the weird name 'Made of Gas Core' or sumthin'. Look sorta like a cross between a Gorilla and a Minotaur. Really freaky looking feet. Legend says they're ruled by a witch-queen called the Mei Gahn.

3319744 Firstly, I know this is an old post I'm replying to, so sorry about that. If you're okay with pre-Equestrian ponies, how fair your thoughts on non-Equestrian pony countries? I would understand if you were to say no, but I do still wonder.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33