Changelings Need Love Too 2,334 members · 1,542 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28

I thought they were okay:applejackunsure:. Though to be honest, I didn't like they looked all that good:unsuresweetie:. I felt that they needed some more work on their appearance, especially Thorax! I mean seriously, who adds antlers to a Changeling:ajbemused:?! Especially since none of them had horns in their old design:facehoof:?! The only Changeling that looked good was Ocellus, though even she could use a little bit more work...just a little:twilightblush:.

I'm working on finding some way how to make the Reformed Changelings designs looked better than they are in the series, and I saw a few pictures of Chrysalis that have helped me greatly:raritywink:. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'd still like to hear you're thought's about it everypony:twilightsmile:.

maybe the antlers are a status thing? Kinda like with that little crown thing that chrysalis has.

I like them.

The old designs I felt were much better. I liked Thorax up until he transformed into a moose. The character I still like but the design? Nope. Wish we saw more of him in his original form before the big change.

Same can be said with the old changelings with both appearance and character. Before they were vicious with a great and fearsome look. They acted the way they looked. Now? They look and act too much like ponies which is a bit of a disappointment. I can accept it but the old style will always be my favourite.

Least we still have Chrissy, right? (For now at least...)

Hmmm....maybe...still, I don't really think they look that good on him. Maybe it's just me...:applejackunsure:.

The same can be said for me:twilightsmile:. Though there are just a couple thing that the designers could do to make them more cooler: like giving them longer manes and tails and their wings more draconic or bat like, that sort of thing:pinkiesmile:.

So you like the new designs then?

I'm a bit neutral about the designs. On one hand, I liked that they now have colors since they give them more individuality, on the other I kinda wanted them to have hair like Chrysalis did and more butterfly-like wings.

God no. They look too toyetic. On the bright side, they're still shapeshifters. To be perfectly fair, they might not even have a 'default' appearance. It's entirely possibly this transformation is just a thing that happened and they're rolling with it. Then again, apparently their new design is a nod to unicorn beetles. huehuehue.

However, I will say that I enjoy how the show's writer's are handling it. I don't think they've specifically addressed the change in appearance, but how the changelings are adapting to being suddenly different. Most of the changelings seem shy and naive, which you'd be too, if your whole life and way of living had been turned upside down and now you had no 'real' experience living in this new way. I especially liked that Thorax was complaining about indigestion with his 'new diet.' Heh.

From a fanfiction writer's point of view, yeah it bothers the hell outta me, but I feel like I can work with it. I've already seen it brought up in plots from time to time, sometimes handled well. Sometimes not. I think it needs to be mentioned, but not overly focused on.

I actually like them. Yes, they look too much like toys desperate to be sold, but some bugs are shinny and colorful, so, fine. Weird antlers... Eh... They probably thought he needed some sort of headdress... Honestly, there are things in the cartoon that bother me a lot more than that.

They also needed to change because they're not 'evil' anymore and the cartoon couldn't keep them in their original form. I just hope that Chrysalis doesn't end like that and make a new kingdom, or something like that.

My first reaction the moment after Thorax changed was very WTF. :twilightoops:

But I have to admit, they've grown on me, and Thorax being a total dorkbug has probably helped that. I do think they got rid of some details that could have been very interesting to explore (Literally needing to make friends to survive, for example, even if it's not much of a disadvantage in Equestria!), and I did like the whole "dark is not evil" thing that we had with pre-change Thorax (Seems like a decent lesson, there). But they've followed up with more exploration of the subject, with the changelings adapting to their new situation, and the difficulties some have had with that change. So, while I overall think it could have been done better, and I do prefer their old look, I'm happy enough with how it's going.

Doesn't hurt that Ocellus is adorable. :twilightsmile:

My opinion on the new new designs is that I've come to accept them just enough to no longer want to beat the stupidity out of the designer until my hand shatters but I still don't like them.

This is not helped by the fact I love the design and role of old changelings to death only to have it replaced by a design that felt boring, garish, and nonsensical in comparison. Time has soothed my hatred of the design to where I no longer actively glare at any new changeling in any media and will likely never finish the hate fic I was writing in response to the design, but I still frown anytime I see them and openly deride the designs.

Mind I've not watched any of the latest season so there is a chance something might have happened to change my mind, but considering I personally don't find Ocellus cute and still long to see a return to the old design, it seems unlikely.

I can actually understand where the designers were going with the new forms.

The forms of hive chrysalis revolved around intimidation and infiltration hence why they were dark and rather angular in their design (although you could attribute their angular nature to their starvation and why they looked so thin.)

The forms of hive thorax have adopted a color scheme similar to what you would see on an iridescent beetle (or as close as they can) and their more curvy (gropable) might mean that they are now well fed.

They remind my of dark elves high elves. This all speculation and could all be thrown out the window in the future but it's nice to theorize.

what about what they did in the comics.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/3/3b/Comic_issue_18_Alternate_Chrysalis.png/revision/latest?cb=20140504164633

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/File:FIENDship_is_Magic_issue_5_page_5.jpg
she starts without holes, but slowly get them as she sucks more love.

Thorax could have gone backwards Through the changes for instance.

I like them myself...

BUT, I would really prefer at least one or two changeling characters that are still good guys, but prefer the old look. Or even chagedlings that's gone back to Queen mommy's side, although I doubt that later one will happen in the show.

I see...well, can't really fault you for liking the old designs:applejackunsure:.

Yeah, i kind of liked their old design better too:twilightblush:.

she starts without holes, but slowly get them as she sucks more love.

That's not what they did in the comics. In the comics, the holes are battle damage from Celestia blasting them. Which somehow affected the entire species, including yet-to-be-conceived children. Umm... :rainbowhuh:

6458543 Which is ironic, since I've yet to see a Hasbro toy of any reformed changelings.

For my part, I like the ordinary reformed 'lings. Thorax, with his "how many colors can we cram on one critter, oh, and the mandible antlers" design, is the exception. That is HIDEOUS. I wonder if they tried giving him a mane like Chryssy.

Which is ironic, since I've yet to see a Hasbro toy of any reformed changelings.

lol implying Hasbro's actually any good at making toys. Or capitalizing on a franchise. We're talking about a toy company that took more than 5 years to make a decent FIM toy. We're talking about a company that took ten years to make a decent plushie... by outsourcing to someone else.

heh.

It was the worst change in the entire show. The old changeling design was really great. The new ones are... pretty bad.

I actually think Thorax looks okay, but the other changelings look... ugh.

my headcanon is that with genuine love directed to their undisguised form, their holes would close and their carapace, while staying black, would get more and more iridescent until they looked like this:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28