• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 1,191 Views, 79 Comments

Homeworld: Equestria - Maelstrom



Our past is a lie, Our Future uncertain. We are all that is left of our people. It is time to reclaim our Homeworld.

  • ...
4
 79
 1,191

Mission 4: Deep Space

[A/N: Hi everypony! The story will be following random ponies on the Mothership for the next few chapters and will then continue following Starlight Eclipse. This Psych Report will explain why. Also this is revision 6 of this chapter as I wasn’t happy with the way the previous revisions turned out, also this revision is the first to exclude Eclipse.]

~~Time in Hyperspace: 7 Hours~~
~~Location: Briefing room 3~~

Analysis of the flight recording recovered from the vessel captured at Kharak reveals that the Kharak missile defence heavily damaged the attacking fleet, but we have determined that at this time they could still easily defeat us. We have thus plotted a course to a deep space asteroid field where we bide our time and prepare our fleet to enact retribution upon our enemy.

~~End Briefing~~

As the various Captains and Squad leads left the briefing room, one particular captain with a mane like fire locked on to her target.

“Rainbow Dash, a word,” she suddenly called out.

Trotting over to the captain Dash snapped into a smart salute, “Yes Sir, Captain Spitfire, Sir! ...um Ma’am! ...uuum?”

“At ease. And its Ma’am, do I look like a stallion to you?”

Dash dropped the salute but still remained tense, “No Ma’am, it wasn’t my intention to imply that you were, Ma’am.”

“Irrelevant, I called you over because I have bad news for you. I’m sorry to have to tell you, but your squad has been grounded indefinitely.”

“WHAT! WHY?”

“Let’s see, maybe it has something to do with the fact that both of your wing ponies have suffered extreme psychological trauma. Eclipse has become emotionally unstable and refuses to speak to anypony, while ‘Maelstrom’ has become somewhat aggressive and has already been involved in several... altercations, he is currently confined to quarters.”

“Oh... I see.” A suddenly dejected Dash mumbled

“Look Dash, I know that flying is what you live for, both with your wings and in a ship, but I cannot in good conscience allow your squad to go out in the condition your wing ponies are in.”

“I know Captain, but isn’t there anything you can do?”

“I’ll see if I can get you a temporary position on one of the non-military ships, but I can guarantee anything.”

“Thank you Captain.”

“Like I said, no guarantees. You are dismissed, I have paperwork to do”

Dash pulled another salute and left the room.


~~Psychological Report of Dr. Spoonbender~~

Patient: Eclipse, Starlight
Age: 22 Years
Race: Pegasus
Rank: Wingpony 1st class, Corvette squadron
Psych Evaluation:
There is not much I can say, Starlight has become extremely withdrawn. So much so that I believe that she isn’t even aware of her surroundings. This can be attributed to the shock of the sudden loss of her entire family.
I have thus declared her unfit for active duty, and have prescribed a powerful anti-depressant. I also suggest that she not be left on her own as I fear she may attempt suicide.
I will attempt to help her recover in our subsequent sessions.

~~End of Report~~


~~Time in Hyperspace: 3 Weeks~~
~~Location: Research department~~

Giving the blue coated unicorn in front of her desk a glance before returning to the research proposal floating in the air in front of her, Twilight flipped through a few pages, before putting the report down.

“Trixie, this is a good idea, but there seems to be a problem you’ve overlooked”

“The Intellectual and Calculating Trixie has overlooked nothing.” Replied the blue unicorn with a huff, “Lasers are the answer!”

“At extremely short range yes, but you are forgetting diffraction. Over a few hundred meters lasers ARE effective, but in the distances of normal space combat the diffraction renders a cutting laser useless.”

“Trixie knows that! That’s why Trixie had developed this!” she exclaimed flourishing a second docket

“And what is that?” Asked Twilight suddenly intrigued.

“This is a new lens crystal lattice design that I, The Intellectual and Calculating Trixie have developed. It will better focus the laser so that diffraction is negligible.”

“I see, and where on a corvette would you mount this lens that’s as large as a corvette?” twilight deadpanned.

“Well right on the... on the... oh.” Trixie replied, head hanging low, “Trixie has failed to take size into calculation. Trixie will now go and correct her research!”

With that exclamation Trixie reared up and brought her hooves down releasing a small cloud of smoke and ran out the door.

“What a weird pony.” Twilight sighed before returning to organising the checklist she was busy with before Trixie burst in.

~~Ship wide announcement~~
>> 5 minutes to Hyperspace exit


~~Deep Space~~

All is calm

Suddenly a Hyperspace gate opens and spits out the Mothership before sealing itself up again

>>Hyperspace jump successful

Scanner data indicates asteroid density is very high in this region.

We are to commence resource gathering immediately.

Due to the fact we know little about this region of space. All resourcing operations are going to have an escort of at least two wings of fighters.

To increase resourcing efficiency we are going to place a resource controller in close proximity to the asteroid field.

--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--

~~Location: Mess hall~~

“Heya Dash!” called a pale yellow Pegasus mare

“Hi Flare, what’s up?”

“The Cap’n said you was lookin to fly a few civ jobs cus your team is grounded, an we gots an opening flyin a resource collector cus if yous is interested?”

“What happened to your regular pilot?”

“Crunch done give himself alcohol poisonin from drinkin too much of dat ‘shine that Berry makes, ah told him to go easy, but you think he gonna listen?”

“Berry has a still? Cool!” exclaimed a very excited Rainbow Dash, “Anyways, thanks for the offer, but I’ll pass on it.”

“Why you passin? I thought you loved flyin?”

“I love flying FAST! Collectors are slow as hell, and you can’t do anything cool in them, they’re too big and clumsy.”

“C’mon Dash, we needs you on this job.” Pleaded Flare, “Also, Berry dun owe me a favour, so if you do the job imma put in a good word for you and score you a discount wit her, an I’ll buy ya two bottles.”

“Twist my hoof why don’t you. Fine, you make it three bottles and you got yourself a deal!”

“Deal” replied Flare spitting on her hoof and holding it out to Dash, who proceeded to shake it


~~3 hours later~~

Dash broke the holding pattern around the chunk of space rock as the phased disassembly array finished stripping it of all useful elements. Checking the meter on storage capacity she saw it at 100%

“Come in fleet, tank is full, heading to resource controller.”

“Acknowledged resource 1, cleared to proceed.”

Sensor Alert!
Long range sensors indicate a Mothership class mass signature, its coming in fast, power readings are off the scale.
Full combat alert!
Stand by for contact.

A massive grey ‘U’ shaped ship rapidly approaches the Mothership stopping a few hundred Kilometres away, before turning so that the opening of the ‘U’ is toward the Mothership

>>Ambassador away

An unarmed corvette class ship exits the Mothership and heads towards the Alien vessel

Trajectory locked in. Hailing signals open on all channels.
Entering magnetic field now...
Almost there... Fleet, we’ve lost guidance and are being drawn in...
There’s a lot of lights... there seems to be... some kind of activity inside, I can see... >Signal lost<

A new signal is picked up from the alien vessel a few minutes later

We are the Bentusi and welcome you among space-faring cultures. The Unbound. The Outer Limb trade Routes were established in the First Time by our ancestors.
The resources you collect are of value to the Bentusi Exchange. They will serve as an acceptable medium for trade.
It has been our custom to equip trading partners with an exchange unit. It has therefore been provided to your ambassador as a gesture of good will.

"Fleet, this is ambassador. We are clear of the Bentusi vessel, all systems green. Harbour control has released guidance and the exchange unit is secure. Receiving crews, prep the quarantine chamber."

"Roger that. Quarantine standing by."

>>Bentusi Trading link established.
>>Sole item for trade is schematics for a directed energy weapon called the Ion Cannon
>>Purchased
>>Forwarding Schematics to research department
>>Bentusi Trading link disconnected

Turanic Raiders, servants of the Taiidan are arriving. They must not learn of our contact. We must depart.
All that moves is easily heard in the void. We will listen for you. Farewell.

With that parting statement, a yellow Hyperspace gate opens and takes in the Bentusi vessel.

Sensor Alert!
Sensors have detected incoming vessels, EM scanning indicated these are the same ships that destroyed the Kar’Selim.
All units prepare for combat and engage the enemy with extreme prejudice.


~~R&D Report – Ion Cannons~~
The schematics for the Ion Beam Cannon provided to us by the Bentusi are amazing. They detail a directed energy weapon of devastating power, and the power generator required to supply enough energy to fire it.
This however seems to have angered my colleague Trixie Lulamoon, as she has been trying to develop something similar for the past few weeks with little to no success. I am starting to find myself rather annoyed at her constant referral to herself in the thirdpony. This however is a minor issue and can be ignored for now.
As for a possible ship to be constructed housing the Ion Beam cannon, due to its significant power requirements it can only be mounted on Frigate class chassis or larger. We will continue to study the technology so that we might be able to reduce the size of the assembly.
H.O.D – Twilight Sparkle
~~End report~~


~~Ambassador’s Report~~
Upon docking with the Bentusi vessel, I was greeted by a group of creatures with a body structure very similar to ours, in fact, if not for their colouration they could easily be mistaken for ponies.
Their colouration was most curious, all of them were only white with black stripes forming patterns over their bodies, and no two had the same pattern, also instead of having an image as a cutie mark, they all had some manner of glyph.
After being greeted, I was led to meet their diplomat who called herself Zecora (pronounced: Ze-core-ah), a very interesting individual as she only spoke in rhyme and was the only one to do so. From her I learned that they call their species ‘Zebra’ (pronounced: zee-bra) and their people are called Bentusi translating roughly as “Nomads”, she also gave me some documentation on their history in exchange for ours. (Documents have been added to archive)
They then presented me with the Exchange Unit and instructed me on its use and proceeded to escort me back to my ship.
~~End of Report~~


~~Mission Report~~
The Turanic Raider force has been destroyed, however they did manage to cause minor damage to the Mothership, repairs are already underway.
In an attempt to surprise us, the Hyperspaced several advanced Ion cannon Frigates into close proximity to the Mothership, we were able to capture all 8 of their ships.
The pilots were interrogated for several hours and we learned much about their race. They were then executed and their corpses were sent to research for xenobiology studies. All information gained has been entered into the archive.
We can now focus on our immediate goal: preparation for an attack on the Taiidan fleet that devastated Kharak. If we strike now, we can take advantage of their damaged condition.
Hyperspace co-ordinates have been transferred to fleet command.
~~End of Report~~


>>Hyperspace co-ordinates locked in.
>>Hyperspace jump initiated.

Author's Note:

Finally! I have gotten this chapter done. So sorry about the long wait on this, but I’ve had stuff happening in my personal life that’s thrown me off my game. Everything from my parents divorce to dental appointments to being stressed out at work because of preparations for an upcoming expo. I’m not exactly happy with some parts of this chapter. But fuck it, if I delay any further I’ll break that Pinkie Pie Promise I made and NOPONY breaks a Pinkie Pie Promise, EVER. Still the next chapter will be easier to write as Its an INTERMISSION CHAPTER!! I will explain some of the Homeworld lore I’m using as well as shit I just made up. I’m not going to give a due date on it cus I myself don’t know when I’ll post it up. Please be patient.

To all new readers: WELCOME, I hope you enjoy my story.
To all following this story: Thanks guys, your support means a lot.
To all my Watchers: You guys are aw