• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 5,552 Views, 279 Comments

Serenade - Bandy



2nd person "You" x Rarity shipping

  • ...
12
 279
 5,552

I guess I'll change My Plans

You awake on the couch, in the same position you fell asleep in. The sun is shining through a window on the roof, the rays hitting you directly in your eye.

“Ow, ow, OW!” you cry as you feel the sunlight searing your corneas. In a mild panic, you fling yourself off the couch and onto the floor, eliciting a cry of pain as you connect with the hardwood below. You have barely been awake for a minute, and already you have been blinded and felled by nothing more than the sun and gravity.

As you attempt to rise, a white unicorn runs into the room, covered in a half finished dress she was undoubtedly working on until she heard your cries. “Oh dear, Are you okay? What happened?”

You are somehow able to get to your hooves, despite the overwhelming sensation that your legs are about to fall off. “Yes… just, startled myself, I guess.” You give her a sheepish grin. “No harm done.”

Her face relaxes with relief. “Oh, well that’s good to hear.” She gets up, but hesitates as she turns around. “Listen… dearie. I feel like we, we need to talk about what happened.”

Your face clouds with confusion for a moment before the memories come flooding back in a proverbial tidal wave of emotion. You begin to feel light headed as you recall those soft lips gently caressing yours, the pure ecstasy that followed that glorious event-

“Hello?” you snap back to reality to find Rarity waving a hoof in front of your face.

` “Oh,” you skitter, “Sorry. I just… drifted off there.”

Rarity sits you down. “Alright. This whole affair has been bugging me all day, and I just want to get this off my chest. Ever since I met you, I held a bit of a… soft spot for you. I went to the Pure and Petite simply to see you there, and at first I just convinced myself that I was there for the alcohol and the music. But… when we danced, it all just… clicked.” She chuckled. “Goodness that sounded cliché.”

You chuckle as well, but keep your tone serious. “Oh that’s fine. Please, continue.”

Rarity clears her throat. “Well, after the dance ended, I told myself I was just going to ask you on a date. When the owner of the establishment walked up and started talking to you… I got nervous and just left. Then the whole debacle in the alley happened. The way you stood up for me like that in the face of danger… I’ve never met a stallion who would do that for me.”

You cock your head to one side. “Surely, such a lovely mare as you would have suitors lining up around the block for a shot at your heart?”

She guffaws. “Well, yes and no. Yes as in there are always plenty of colts who would love to have a shot with me. No as in they were only after one thing…”
Somehow, you aren’t surprised at this admission. Rarity is a very beautiful pony, and there are plenty of crass stallions out there who would attempt to take advantage given the opportunity.

She continues. “Nopony I ever dated really bothered to think of me as anything more than a prize. I grew so weary of it, and I eventually resigned myself to the fact that I would never find a good stallion for me. But then you came along… you cared for me because of who I am, not what I looked like. You liked me for me. I never had that connection with anypony before… I guess I just… just…” her eyes well up.

You need no further explanation. You stand up shakily and look directly into her eyes. “Miss Rarity, that was beautiful. I don’t care what has happened in the past. I don’t care how many other stallions have treated you like dirt. What I care about now is that I treat you like the sensitive, pristine, amazing mare that you have shown me to be. I care for you because you are the way you are, and that will never change.”

You put as much bravado into your voice as possible and continue. “I found the most amazing mare that I ever could have hoped for, and I do not intent to do anything to hurt her. Quite the contrary, in fact. When you smile, a whole new part of you blossoms, and I am inexorably honored that I am allowed to see such beauty and radiance. Rarity, you have opened my heart, and I will go so far as to say that I think I may be in love. I only hope that you feel the same way.”

You wait as your words sink in. Then, without a moment’s hesitation, Rarity throws her arms around you, embracing you with almost ravenous force. She sobs with a mixture of sadness and pure joy. “Oh, you don’t know how happy I am to hear that! You are the most amazing stallion I’ve ever met!” With that she broke down, once again sobbing into your still bruised shoulder. You comfortingly pat her back.

“Shh… everything’s all right. No need to cry. Everything’s okay…” you whisper into her ear. Eventually, her sobs become more subdued, and she pulls away from you, dabbing her eyes to avoid making her makeup run.

“Wow… ever since you came into my life, I’ve been crying a lot more than normal.”

“Oh, I’m sorry… I didn’t realize I was causing you such emotional distress.” You feel your heart sink as you realize you are the cause of Rarity’s inner turmoil. She takes notice of this, and attempts to rectify the situation. “Well, I didn’t mean it as a bad thing! It’s always best to let your emotions out. Repressing them won’t do you any good, you know.”

You nod n agreement. “Very nice save.” You both laugh for a moment. You help her up, but not before planting a quick kiss on her cheek. The act elicits a giggle from Rarity as her face briefly brushes. However, she quickly regains her composure and stares you directly in the eyes.

“So… If I may ask, what does this turn of events make us- in terms of… you know… relationships?”

Her awkward phrasing of the question almost makes you laugh, but you are able to suppress it as you return Rarity’s stare. “Well… this whole turn of events has been pretty crazy. I think I would like to formally declare my stance on our relationship.”

You instantly materialize a dozen roses into your hooves and kneel down in front of Rarity, much to the chagrin of your aching legs. “Miss Rarity, I would be ever so honored if you were to accompany me as my date to dinner tonight.”

Rarity giggles and blushes profusely as she accepts the roses with a curtsy. “Why, I could not imagine a better way to spend an evening, sir.”

You beam with confidence (and a small amount of relief that Rarity accepted your offer). “Lovely, my lady. I shall return around eight?”

“That sounds fantastic. I will see you then.”

“Until then,” you say with an exasperated flourish, “I bid you ado.” You give her a brief kiss before heading to the door, a very noticeable skip in your step. Unfortunately, your knees decide to give out just as you reach the door. As you feel yourself begin to fall, you flail vainly for purchase, but find none. The ground arrests your flight, and you bounce pitiably off the hardwood floor underneath you.

As you get up and attempt to clear your head, you can’t help but see Rarity rolling on the floor, paralyzed by laughter. You stare curtly at her, not entertained by your fall. She notices, and attempts to regain her composure. “Yes... well, I’ll-um, see you at eight-“ at this point, she gives up and falls to the ground laughing. You roll your eyes, but can’t help laugh a little yourself as you exit the boutique to prepare for your date.