• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 7,117 Views, 74 Comments

The Changeling Cycle - Raith021



Twilight is now a changeling, and Celestia seems to have expected this.

  • ...
17
 74
 7,117

Prologue (formerly Chapter 1)

The Changeling Cycle
by Raith021
Prologue


Dear Princess Celestia

I may or may not have a problem on my hooves, in short: I've become a changeling, a queen unless I'm mistaken.

I noticed, in retrospect, near the end of the day my brother and Cadence were married. I felt... an odd, far away sense of loss, I think I was feeling Chrysalis dying, or die.

In the intervening week, I noticed an increasing awareness of the emotions of the ponies around me, culminating yesterday with realizing I hadn't "eaten" anything, but I had spent the whole day with my friends, I had been feeding on their friendship with me.

I've just woke up and found myself as I am, before writing this letter.

I await what may come.

(I hope I still am, but will nonetheless continue to be) your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle


The letter, now a trail of magic smoke, curled out a window "OK, it's sent Twi."

"Thanks Spike, going to start on breakfast now?" Twilight, worrying as she was, hadn't let Spike know of her... condition.

"Yeah, I was thinking waffles."

"Oh, sounds good, make enough for six though."

"Six? are the girls coming over and no one told me?"

"No, I just have a feeling we'll be having company this morning." 'Have a feeling my left back hoof, I just hope I get to see tomorrow.'

"OK, well I'll let you get to your routine, and I'll get cooking" as he went downstairs, She went to the washroom to brush her mane, realizing too late she only needed to re-transform into herself. As she momentarily reverted to being her changeling form, she noticed that she looked surprisingly like her old, though she preferred normal at this point, pony form. With a slight melancholy sigh, she transformed back into her pony self and made her way to the smell of food... and waffles.


(Meanwhile in Canterlot)

"... and that's the whole honeymoon."

"It certainly sounds like you two enjoyed yourselves" Celestia said, then having a sip of tea before feeling the familiar tingle of a letter from Twilight, and soon after it appeared was caught in her magic hold. "Hmm, it's kind of early for your sister to be sending me anything" She opens and begins reading, and remarks on finishing the first line: "Oh" with a slight note of surprise.

"What is it princess, is Twily okay?"

She finished reading before responding to him "She should be fine, I'd say more but I'd like to give you the short version of some history before that, I'll tell you on our way to the barracks" she finishes standing, and angling to the door.

"Princess, should I be concerned?" he says, feeling like he was not being given vital information.

"No, no. I merely want to cover all the bases, even though history says I've no need to, recent events have me second guessing."

"... there's a changeling in Ponyville, isn't there, and my sister found out about it."

"Yes, and before I do tell you any more than that, the history I'd mentioned; shortly after Discord was imprisoned... "


"Ah, ok. So, now for the covering all bases part of the morning" Shining Armor quips as they arrive. the doors opening with Celestia's magic.

"We'll only need two, pick them as you wish."

"Right. Front and center stallions" At his command, the two dozen guards in the room formed a line along one wall. "Myself and the princess will be going to Ponyville, and need two volunteers, step forward to do so" they all did, "It will involve a changeling," only a dozen stayed forward, "and this will be a peaceful meeting unless it goes bad" six remained, "Very well, Hardened Steel and Iron Hooves, with me" both snapped a salute with a "yes sir" and positioned themselves in front of their captain and princess.

"Face forward you two, I'll be teleporting us there" they did, and were off in a literal flash.


(Back in Ponyville)

"There's batch two done, you sure you're okay waiting Twi?"

Before getting a chance to respond, a trio of knocks came from the door. "Yes Spike, and that should be who I was expecting" 'Ok, so, how to answer? Can't be too cheerful or she may think I'm hiding more than I am, can't be too near neutral ether for the same reason' Doing her best not to let panic get to her, she opened the door. "Princess Celestia, B.B.B.F.F., good morning"

A beat passes "No offence, but we'll need to make sure you are you, I'll cast a memory check spell on you" Celestia said.

"Perfectly fine." Twilight said, knowing there would be precious few things in Equestria that could infallibly prove a being that could change their form were themselves, when they were. Celestia then leaned down, placed her horn on her head, and cast a spell nearly the same as the one she had cast of her friends while Discord had been free, and then witnessed her memories in reverse, all the way back to the very first time she'd opened her eyes just after being born. "Wow, that's just, wow."

"Ah, now, good morning Twilight, and I am sorry, but after Chrysalis attacked... " she trailed off, sad that she had been forced to not trust her faithful student. The two guards relaxed ever so slightly as well.

Shining Armor took the brief silence as an opportunity to give his sister a hug, tears of joy in his eyes. "Good morning Twily."

"Understandable, I can see myself doing exactly the same" Her brother lets her go "Oh, Hardened Steel, Iron Hooves, good morning to you two also" nodding to each as she named them.

Hardened Steel dared show his joy with a smile "You always could tell us guards apart miss Sparkle" Iron Hooves then smiled too.

"If you want you can, well, drop your disguise as yourself." Celestia said, only just containing her giggles.

"Sort of feels like I've been getting used to the new me last week anyway, might as well" In a burst of purple flame, Twilight the pony once again became Queen Twilight the changeling.

"Third batch is done, what are you all talking about out here any- whoa! Twi, that is you, right?"

"Yes I'm me Spike, sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"That's okay, not sure I'd have believed you as easy as now, the princess and your brother not trying to arrest you. Now, who's getting the first three batches?"

"Maybe Shining and you two go first, so Celestia can get the next batch at its hottest and freshest?"

"I do like that idea, to the kitchen then" Celestia made one step before remembering an important detail "Cadence was supposed to join us, and I left the scroll in the room."

As if on cue, Cadence teleported into the library, and gave quick, nervous breaths in and out "Shining, Aunt Tia, where's Twil- oh my!"

Author's Note:

I'd like to think this isn't bad, but I probably need all the help I can get, just no abject hate, ok?