• Published 1st Apr 2013
  • 4,853 Views, 512 Comments

Bully: Manticore Academy - the silver-maned pony



After being dropped off by her distant parents, Rainbow Dash must now survive in the toughest school in Equestria. As she makes new friends, she also makes new enemies. Will Rainbow Dash survive the onslaught? Read to find out.

  • ...
12
 512
 4,853

Chp 2: Plans and a little help

The cafeteria was packed with students as the morning classes ended. As students were entering, Rainbow Dash, with her textbooks in hand, was leaving the cafeteria. She lost her appetite when she saw the lunch lady put rotten eggs in the mixing bowl.

As Rainbow Dash was leaving the school to explore the campus, she thought of her first class, chemistry. The teacher, Dr. Whooves, was very pleasant. He gave Dash all of the notes from the first 3 weeks of school and even complimented her for not blowing up her lab station as the other students did on their first time.

Dash opened the door to leave, deciding to try to find Lightning Dust or Scootaloo, when she suddenly felt a sharp pain on her forehead.

“What the-”

There was another sharp pain and she looked around, wondering what was happening. The answer was a unicorn bully on the bottom steps of the school, with a slingshot in hand.

“Hey new kid, this is what we do with brats who don’t know their place.” The unicorn said as she readied her slingshot.

“You better not-” Rainbow Dash started to warn, but the bully fired anyways. Growling, Dash flapped her wings, ready to tackle the bully, when an angry voice from behind said,

“Young lady, what in Equestria are you doing?!”

Dash turned around and saw a peeved teacher. “Don’t you know there is no flying on campus, if I catch you again, its detention.” The teacher left, leaving Dash with her mouth agape. She could not believe the injustice; if a pegasus tries to fly, it’s detention. If somepony is bullying another, nothing happens.

Rainbow Dash was brought back to reality when another rock hit her head. She couldn’t take it any longer and began to chase the giggling bully. As the two ran, a part of her brain that was still reasonable noticed the bully was leading her to the parking lot. The bully then opened one of the garages that lead to the auto shop classes. She entered and closed it, but not before another bully exited the garage. The new one had green hair and smiled,

“If you want to get to Lyra, you’ll have to go through me.”

Dash sped up until she was sprinting. She then held her textbooks in both hands without slowing down. She lifted up her textbook, and when she was within range, slammed them into the bully’s face. The bully crumbled to the floor, shouting out words of pain and insults which were mumbled as she held her hands to her bruised face.

Dash quickly lifted up the garage door and entered. It was filled with tools and bins of spare parts. The back door was open and Dash rushed through it. She found herself in a small circular area that was fenced off. The only exit would be the door she just came through, which had suddenly closed.

She turned around and saw three bullies grinning wickedly. The bully with the slingshot, Lyra, was standing on a pile of cars. The other one was on the ground. She had dark plum hair. The final bully was the one who closed the door, Bon Bon.

“Now,” Bon Bon said viciously as she cracked her knuckles, “we’re gonna show you a real new kid beat down. Ready Berry Punch?”

“Yep.” The plum haired bully replied.

Rainbow Dash, who had a calm expression, could no longer take it. She inhaled deeply and burst out laughing, which completely caught the bullies off guard.

“What’s so funny?” demanded Bon Bon

Through the laughter, Rainbow Dash managed to choke out,

“Your face!”

After the beating she took from Dash in the morning, Bon Bon obviously went to the nurse’s office to get bandaged. No one seemed to have told her that every part of her face was covered in so much gauze, her whole head looked bigger, Her nose got the worst part as it seemed to be three times its normal size.

“Have you even looked at a mirror?” Dash asked after she finished laughing.

Bon Bon, now positively fuming, said, “Should you really be laughing right now? Your outmatched 3 to 1!”

“You’re absolutely right, it is an unfair fight. I know, how about I put one hand behind my back. That should make it fair.” Dash joked as she set aside her books and cracked her knuckles. Rainbow Dash thought if the bullies fought exactly like Bon Bon did in the morning, then there was nothing to worry about.

Bon Bon finally snapped and charged, closely followed by Berry Punch. Rainbow Dash readied herself, a cocky grin on her face. As she was about to side-step, Lyra fired her slingshot. The rock it Dash’s forehead, which caused her to recoil slightly and left her open.

Bon Bon started with a strong punch to the nose. As Dash’s head flung back, Berry Punch followed it up with punch to the gut and Bon Bon finished with a haymaker to Dash’s left cheek, causing her to crash to the floor.

“You see that?” Bon Bon told Berry Punch as both breathed heavily, “I told you the kid got lucky this morning.”

“Now what do you want to do?”

Bon Bon thought for a moment and grinned evilly, “Kick her while she’s down?”

The two laughed as they made their way to Dash’s body.

“Sorry, but I can’t let that happen.”

The bullies stopped in their tracks as Dash’s wings flapped once, and she was back on her feet. Besides the slightly red patches on her cheek and nose, Rainbow Dash was unharmed and unfazed.

“B-but how?” Bon Bon stammered.

Dash grinned, “I’m not proud to say it… O.K, maybe a little, but I have been in a lot of fights. So it’s going to take a lot more to hurt me.”

“We’ll see about that!” Bon Bon cried as she rushed Rainbow Dash. Dash planted a quick right hook to Bon Bon’s bruised face, followed by a strong knee to the gut. Combined with the morning’s beating, Bon Bon got knocked out.

Dash started to make her way to Berry, who was looking nervous, when another rock hit her forehead.

“Oh for peat’s sake!” Rainbow Dash cried. She had had enough of getting hit by rocks. Berry tried to punch Dash, but Rainbow caught the fist in her hand. She then planted her knee twice in Berry’s gut and finished her with a head-butt.

Dash looked around and saw a couple of standing trash cans. She walked toward one and picked up the lid. She then hurled the trash lid with all her strength and it managed to hit Lyra squarely on her face. She immediately toppled of the pile of cars, groaning in pain.

Rainbow Dash walked toward her,

“I’ll be taking that.” she said as she took Lyra’s slingshot. She went to pick up her books when she noticed all of the scattered rocks. She picked one up and used her new slingshot to fire it at Lyra’s forehead, who moaned in pain.

“Not so nice, is it?” was Dash’s last comment as she picked up her textbooks and left just as the bell signaling for the next class rang.
________________________________________
English class had to be the dullest class Rainbow Dash ever experienced. For the entire class, the students had a bunch of letters in front of them and had to try to form words. The only interesting thing in the class was the teacher Ms. Luna, who was an alicorn. Dash had never seen an alicorn in real life and was shocked to discover one worked at M.A. One usually sees alicorns working in the government or starring in movies.

The school bell finally rang, signaling the end of Dash’s first day of school. She walked out of the classroom door, thinking about spending the rest of the day doing nothing. She walked to her locker and placed her textbooks in it. Her plans of doing nothing ended when she heard a familiar voice.

“Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo was swerving past the mob of students exiting their classrooms, “Hey Rainbow Dash, you wanna hang o-” she stopped mid-sentence when she got close enough to see Dash more clearly, “Why do you have bandages on your face?”

Rainbow Dash quickly felt her face, momentarily forgetting why she had bandages. She got them when a prefect noticed the red marks on her face as she was walking to her class. Dash found it funny when the school nurse asked her the moment she entered her office if the injuries were fight-related. When Rainbow said yes, the nurse sighed and took out a large role of gauze. Dash left the office with a bandage over her left cheek and nose.

“I got into a fight.” Dash answered matter-of-factly.

“Already?”

“Yep, took out 3 bullies by myself.”

Scootaloo’s eyes then shined with admiration,

“Wow, that’s so cool!”

“Yeah Dashie,” Lightning Dust had appeared out of nowhere and joined the conversation, “that’s really impressive. You beat up 3 idiots who barely know how to throw a punch. Next, you’ll probably boast about stealing candy from children. Now, enough with the friendly banter,” Lightning Dust had started to steer Dash and Scootaloo out of the school, “I wanna see Dashie’s new slingshot in action.”

“How did you know I got a slingshot?”

“The same way I know that you have been expelled from 7 schools and you have had 5 stepdads.”

“What?!” Dash had stopped dead in her tracks, “how did you know about those things?”

Lightning Dust grinned impishly as she continued to steer Dash, “I know about the school part after I hacked into the school’s database.”

“You could do that?” Scootaloo asked

“Yep, that’s how I stay on top of things. As for the stepfather thing, I just took a shot at the dark and you confirmed it.”

Rainbow Dash groaned; she couldn’t believe she walked into that one.

“If it makes you feel better, my old man left too.”

“Do you know where he went?”

“Prison.” Lightning Dust stated as though discussing the weather. Dash and Scootaloo exchanged uneasy glances.

After a while Dash realized where Lightning Dust was taking them.

“Why are we going to the football field?”

“Target practice. I want to see how you handle that slingshot.”

“Why is seeing me fire at jocks with my slingshot so important?”

“I’ll tell you later.” They had made it on the field. It was a standard size, 120 yards long and 54 yards wide. The other side had the scoreboard and it was also where the cheer squad was practicing. The football team, which was comprised of both mares and stallions, were practicing on the field, with no protective gear,

“You see that apple tree,” Lightning pointed toward the tree that was just a couple of feet from the jock’s practice spot, “climb it and take them out. The squirt,” she ruffled Scootaloo’s hair, “and I will be sitting at the bleachers, so try and make it entertaining.”

Lightning Dust and Scootaloo were getting comfortable at the bleachers while Rainbow Dash stealthily made her way to the apple tree. She climbed and sat on one of its branches. She moved some of the leaves out of the way to have a better view. Picking an apple from a neighboring branch, she aimed her slingshot at a female jock that was jogging in place, and fired the apple. It struck her head and she instantly collapsed.

She quickly picked another apple and aimed it at a stallion that was performing jumping jacks. This time, it struck his groin. As the stallion rolled on the floor whimpering, and Lightning and Scootaloo roared with laughter, the coach was not so amused,

“Get back up you spineless jellyfish,” he roared, “how can I, Iron Will, turn you into lean, mean, brawling machines if you just laze around.”

Dash couldn’t contain her laughter as the coach performed ridicules poses with each word he said. As Dash knocked down each jock, she took guilty pleasure that her slingshot skills had not diminished. She hasn’t fired a slingshot since her 3rd stepfather confiscated her old one for breaking the framed picture of himself with it.

After a couple of more apples, Dash finally got the last jock, who realized his teammates were being taken out by some unseen force and tried to run away.

Dash ran past coach Iron Will, who was screaming himself hoarse, and joined her friends. They left the field, laughing.

“O.K,” Dash said finally managed to say, “Why was that all important? What was the point?”

Lightning Dust, finally done chuckling, said “It’s to send those jocks a message; a message that said that they can’t get away with their bullying. It’s also part of my master plan.”

“And what is this master plan?”

Lightning was now smiling, which contained some malice, “My plan for us to take over this school.”

There were some moments of silence after this proclamation until Dash finally said,

“Why?”

“Come on Dashie, you and Scootaloo of all people should know why. We’re gonna take over to stop the bullying in this school. The moment you entered this school Dash, you saw the bullies doing what they do. And it’s not just the bullies and jocks, but the preppies, greasers, and even nerds bully other students. You see that almost nothing being done to stop this. So it’s up to us. We’ll take over together, and all the bullying will stop. So, what do you say? Wanna take over this dump?”

Lightning stuck out her hand. Dash stared at it and thought over her words. She wasn’t interested in taking over the school; she just wanted to focus on not getting expel again. But she realized that her years here in M.A would be very tiresome if she had to deal with non-stop bullying. This might be her best chance to end it.

She then smiled and took Dust’s hand, “You got yourself a partner.” Lightning returned her smile and Scootaloo spoke up,

“What about me? Can I help take over the school?”

“Don’t worry squirt,” Dash said, “let me and Lightning take care of the bullies. You just focus on not being a target.”

Scootaloo looked slightly crestfallen,

“Oh come on, I can be tough!”

“Of course you can,” Lightning cooed, “Anyway, I want to show you two something.”

Lightning Dust lead them to the parking lot and then toward a broken down bus,

“I found this quiet little area about a week ago,” she said as the tree of them entered the bus and exited from the back door, “It’s the perfect place to discuss our plan since it’s so secluded.”

They found themselves in front a wooden gate that said KEEP OUT. They entered and Dash saw that it was a moderately sized, round area. She noted the strong smell of musky apple cider in the air, the empty bottles and bricks scattered on the floor, a wooden shack on the other side of the area, and next to the shack was a filthy bed with somepony sleeping on it. The girls kept starring at the pony until Scootaloo said the thing they were all thinking,

“Who is that pony?”

“Let’s find out.” Lightning Dust said as she picked up a nearby bottle and chucked it at the sleeping stranger.

The bottle smashed next to the bed and the sound woke the pony. He stood up so quickly that he almost fell. Now that he was standing, they noticed the bottle in his hand, his tattered grayish blue hair, bloodshot green eyes, and his pegasus wings.

“Who the buck are you ponies?” he slurred. His cheeks had a touch of red and his clothes were covered in dirt.

“Hey Dashie,” Lightning joked, “I didn’t know your real dad lived here.”

Dash was about to snap back when the homeless pony threw his bottle at Lightning, narrowly hitting her face.

“Get off my property!” he roared.

“This isn’t your property old man.” Lightning shouted back. This got her a brick thrown to her face. She quickly ducked down.

“Come on girls, let’s leave this guy to his ‘fulfilling’ life.” She said with a slight quiver in her voice. Scootaloo didn’t need to be told twice as she bolted out of there, followed by Lightning Dust. Rainbow Dash, however, stayed.

“Who are you?”

“The man who’ll kill you if you don’t get out!” the hobo said angrily.

Dash’s expression remained stoic. This, unfortunately, wasn’t the first time she was threatened by a drunk.

“Why are you here?” she asked curiously. Dash wanted to know whether to add the hobo to her already mounting list of problems.

“Because I simply love all of you annoying snot-nosed brats. Now I’ll say it again. Get-off-my-property.” He emphasized each word. When Dash didn’t leave, the hobo charged at her, roaring like an animal.

He kept charging and stopped when his face was mere inches from Dash’s face. He looked slightly crazed, but Dash’s calm expression didn’t falter. After a couple of intense moments, the hobo’s mouth formed a small smile.

“You’re alright kid.” He chuckled as he stepped back. Now his expression turned from insane to calm. His eyes became more focused and his speech became more coherent.

“You got a lot of guts,” he continued, “I could have used somepony like you as my wingpony.”

Dash raised an eyebrow, “You were in the military?”

“Sure was. I was one of the best fliers and fighters in my platoon. Until my wingpony left me to fend for myself in enemy territory. By the time reinforcement arrived, my wings were shot to Tartarus. I was on leave until my wings recovered, but they never fully healed. Now, I’m jobless and live in this dump.”

The hobo looked at Dash and laughed.

“What it is?” Dash asked.

“Nothing, it’s just that you have a lot of guts, but that’s not enough if you don’t know how to fight.”

“I know how to fight.” Dash said indignantly.

The hobo barked a laugh, “If you knew how to really fight,” he pointed to Dash’s face, “you wouldn’t have those bandages.”

Dash quickly removed them, her pride now wounded,

“How about I show you I good I am old man.” She said, raising her fist.

He now laughed harder, “O.K kid, I’ll entertain you for a bit.”

He rushed Dash with surprising speed. Dash quickly put up her guard. She saw the hobo about to perform an uppercut. His arms were rather thin, so she didn’t try to dodge. This proved to be a huge mistake when the uppercut broke her guard easily and then connected with her chin. Dash was sent flying and crashed to the floor. In one brief moment, she finally understood what ponies meant when one gets hit hard enough, they see stars.

“What I tell you kid,” the hobo’s voice sounded disoriented that Dash quickly shook her head, “you don’t know the first thing to fight, let alone fight like a real pegasus.”

“Whatever old geezer,” Rainbow slowly got back to her feet, “ready for round 2?”

The hobo eyes grew with surprise. He couldn’t believe Dash was ready for another fight. Most students would have hightailed it out of there the moment he started shouting. But Rainbow Dash not only stayed around, she wanted to fight again after get knocked to the ground. The hobo started to laugh again,

“Alright kid, because you got guts, and remind me of somepony I knew, I got a proposition for you. I’ll teach you how to fight. And not just simple stuff, I’ll teach how us pegasi fight.”

“Something tells me you’re not doing this out of the kindness of your heart.”

“You’re also smart, I like that. For payment, I don’t want bits. I want radio parts.”

After seeing the confusion on Rainbow’s face, he elaborated,

“The only things I have left are my war stuff and radio. I could always buy a new one, but this radio has sentimental value. Anything you find that I could use for my radio, I’ll train you in something new. I would look for the parts myself, but the school prefects and teachers don’t take to kindly to me.”

“Alright old man, you got yourself a deal.” Dash held out her hand.

“The name isn’t old man. It’s Soarin.” He said as he took her hand.
________________________________________
Scootaloo was waiting for Rainbow Dash by the bus. It had been a couple of minutes since she and Lightning Dust left. Now she was by herself. She was beginning to consider getting a prefect to help when Dash emerged from the bus. Scootaloo’s face was beaming with relief,

“Where were you Rainbow?” she asked urgently, “you didn’t come after us and I was waiting for so long and I started to get worried-”

“Whoa squirt, calm down. I’m O.K. Where’s Lightning Dust.”

“She left a little while ago. She said something about a project she needed to finish. So,” she began as the two walked back to their dorm, “what happened with the hobo? Did you beat him up?”

“Not exactly.” Dash replied, thinking of how easily she was beaten by Soarin. The sun was finally beginning to descend, “Don’t suppose you know where to get radio parts?”

Scootaloo looked bewildered by this bizarre question,

“Um… no. You could ask the auto-shop teacher, he might have some parts.”

Dash then stopped in her tracks, her memory bringing up images from the morning.

“Hey squirt, I’ll catch up to you later. I got to go take care of business.”

Scootaloo hesitated for a moment before continuing her walk to the dorms. Rainbow Dash quickly made her way to the parking lot. She then made a b-line to the garage she entered the very same morning. She lifted up the door and saw that all the mechanical parts were still untouched. She began to rummage through every bin, looking for her treasure. After many minutes of searching and swearing when bins showed nothing valuable, she finally pulled out a small, dented radio. She exited the garage and headed straight to Soarin. After entering through the bus, she saw him lying on his bed, looking aimlessly at the sky.

Rainbow Dash walked toward him and dropped the radio on his stomach,

“You work fast kid.” He stated as he sat up.

“I got your radio, now let’s train.”

Soarin ignored her and opened the back of the radio. Pleased with what he saw, he got up and spat at the ground,

“A deal’s a deal. First, I’m gonna give you information.”

“Can’t you just show me how to punch somepony?”

“Shut up and listen. First, you know that there are 3 types of ponies: Earth ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi. Each group had their own specific way of fighting.

“Unicorns use the thing they were born with; magic. When fighting, they will use their magic to either distract, paralyze, of beat you. So hit them fast and hard.

“Earth ponies have neither magic nor wings, they got raw strength. They will always rush in and try to finish the fight quickly. I once got into a bar fight with an Earth pony when I was still a whelp. I got knocked out with one punch and when I woke up, I had a broken jaw. Try to drag on a fight with them. The more tired they are, the better chance you have.

“Finally, there are us pegasi. We use our natural speed that comes with our wings to get the upper hand. But I learned our wings can also increase our strength. First, I want you to give me your best uppercut.”

Soarin put up his guard as Rainbow Dash walked toward him. She bended her knees and tucked in her left arm. She unleashed her uppercut and caused Soarin to stagger, but only slightly.

“Not bad kid, but there is a way to put more power into that punch. Now, I want you to flap your wings with all of your might. But keep your feet planted on the ground.”

Dash was confused by this request, but did as she was told. Keeping her feet firmly on the ground, she flapped her wings as though she was about to burst into the air. She instantly lost balance and fell face first to the ground.

“See that?” Soarin exclaimed.

“What, the dirt in my eyes?” Rainbow said grudgingly as she got back to her feet.

“No. I’m talking about the force your wings exerted. Haven’t you noticed our wings are so strong that with one flap, we’re airborne? Now perform another uppercut, but this time, use the force from your wings.”

Dash did as she was told. Once ready, she flapped her wings with all of her might and launched her uppercut at the same time. The force was bigger than she expected and she spun around in place before toppling over.

“No kid,” Soarin barked as he lifted Dash up, “control that power.”

Dash breathed through her nose. This was getting annoying quick, but she wasn’t about to give up. Again, she was ready. Focusing on Soarin’s guard, she flapped her wings and let out her uppercut. This time she was ready and guided her arm. The uppercut connected and Soarin staggered more violently then before, his guard completely broken.

“Atta girl,” he said with a hint of pride in his voice, “now do it again, find a rhythm.”

They practiced until the sun had finally set. By the time they finished, Dash no longer lost control of her own power.

“Cool,” she said excitedly as she performed another perfect pegasus uppercut, “what’s next.”

“Next is you go find me more radio parts.” Soarin said as he retired to his mattress.

“Oh come on Soarin! You just told me about how other ponies fight and how to punch. Can’t you show me more fighting techniques?”

Soarin chuckled lightly, “I didn’t just tell you how other ponies fight; I told you their strategies when fighting so you can think of counter strategies. I didn’t just showed you how to punch; I guided you through the first steps of honing your skills. By the way, don’t flap your wings for every punch you throw, or else you’ll tire yourself out. Save the move for when you have an opening to deal the most damage. Remember that, kid.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, “Fine, you win. I’ll find more parts. See ya around.”

She turned to leave, but not before saying,

“My name isn’t kid. It’s Rainbow Dash.”

She began to walk back to her dorm, leaving Soarin to stare aimlessly at the night sky.