• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,064 Views, 238 Comments

Galaxia's Equestria - pchn00



Queen Galaxia has returned and remade Equestria in her image. The ponies need a hero! They need...Discord? The reformed draconequus must collect the Elements of Harmony with the help of his young niece in order to return a fallen friend.

  • ...
9
 238
 2,064

Chapter 19: The Battle for Canterlot

Chapter 19: The Battle for Canterlot

Trixie, and Twilight Sparkle took their places at the highest point of the citadel, gazing up at the cavern ceiling above. “Alright Trixie! Nice and careful cutting. I’ve made very clear markers where we need to remove the stone. Ready?”

Trixie nodded firmly at Twilight’s words and the two unicorns each sent a focused line of magic into the air, punching through the stone and out into the sky above. Fancy Pants, Shining Armor, and Discord were waiting up top. Once the lines began to draw closer together the three stallions enveloped the massive chunk of stone in their own magic, grunting under the strain of supporting it. Once the lines had finished cutting, a purple and pink aura mingled with their own and began to push. Gritting their teeth the three stallions started to heave. Slowly the massive ton of rock began to rise from the ground. Once it was high enough the three knights and former chaos lord heaved the stone to the side, creating a thunderous crash.

Twilight squinted up at the now clear hole leading to the sky. “Everypony ok?!”

Her brother poked his head into the hole and offered a wave. “We’re fine! Give us a sec to rest and we’ll be down!”

Twilight had to take a bit of a break herself, breathing heavily she turned a weary smile Trixie’s way. She felt a little flutter of surprise at the seeming lack of strain on her fellow unicorn’s part. “Wow Trixie you don’t look tired at all!”

Affecting a grand pose Trixie flashed a toothy smile. “The Great and Powerful Trixie, heir to Starswirl the Bearded would never be tired from such a paltry ex-mmph!” The rest of her speech was cut off as Twilight magically tugged the other mares bell-bedecked hat down over her face.

“Honestly Trixie.” Twilight sighed with an amused chuckle and started for the stairs down to the keep. Making straight for the basement she glimpsed Jubilant and Echo standing side by side on the balcony overlooking the courtyard. Below the volunteers from Ponyville and the remnants of her sister-in-laws resistance were undergoing last minute drills with Shining Armor in the armor they liberated from the Citadel’s armory. The brash night pony seemed oblivious to the worry etched on the young human woman’s face. “Jubilant I’m going downstairs, would you walk with me for a minute?”

The woman exchanged a few quick words with Echo before starting toward Twilight. The unicorn couldn’t help but notice the change that had come over her armor. The glossy metal was a rich forest green embossed in gold, the same color as the woman’s coat when she was in her pony shape. The new emblem of the Order of Harmony, depicting all five pony tribes emblazoned proudly on her chest. It was the billowing crimson cape that tended to draw the eye however. If she looked at it from another angle, or if Jubilant passed by a light source it seemed to shift from red, to blue, violet, indigo, yellow, green, and orange. “What’s wrong? Did something go wrong?”

Twilight wore a patient smile at the woman’s nervous tone. She had to remind herself that although she looked like an adult, she really was still a filly at heart. “No, nothing’s wrong. The ceiling was cleared away successfully. You just looked like you needed a little breather is all.”

Jubilant wore a thin smile. “I appreciate it, but I don’t think all the breathers in the world are going to help me calm down. We’re about to head to war Twilight. The first war in who knows how long in Equestrian history…”

“In fourteen hundred and thirty-two years. The last true war in Equestria was the civil war between Princess Celestia and Princess Luna’s forces. It only lasted a year and a half but if the history books are to be believed it was very brutal.”

Eyes wide Jubilant regarded Twilight in shock. “They went to WAR with each other? I didn’t know that.”

“Well it’s not the cheeriest topic of conversation. Princess Luna didn’t become Nightmare Moon all at once. It was a gradual build-up and there were several contributing factors. After Discord’s brief reign Equestria was in poor shape and required a lot of work to get back in working order. Princess Luna wanted to use the Elements of Harmony to restore the land, but Princess Celestia refused. She said if they used the elements to fix every problem that could be handled with a little hard work then ponykind would come to rely on them too heavily. The tribes were just as divided on the matter. I’m sure Princess Luna or um… Moon Dancer could tell you more if you’re curious.”

Jubilant WAS curious but she had more important things to handle for now. “The more I learn about politics the more I’m glad Luna didn’t try and slap a crown on my head.”

This brought a faint giggle from Twilight. “I don’t know, Princess Jubilant Surprise has a nice ring to it.”

Twilight was actually a little alarmed by how pale the woman went. “That’s not even a LITTLE funny Twilight! COMMANDER is bad enough, and I absolutely am handing that over to the first pony who’ll take it off my hands. Once Princess Celestia is back where she belongs I’m doing what I planned in the first place.”

“Exploring the lands outside of Equestria? That may be just as dangerous if not more so than charging into battle you know?”

Jubilant shrugged as they began to descend to the basement. “Maybe. But the only one in danger is me, not a hundred other ponies, tons of changelings and a few wings of griffons.”

“Well. When you ARE ready to set out on this big journey of discovery and exploration I hope you know it won’t be alone. I know I’ve always been curious about the world outside our little kingdom. I guess I’ve always just been so engrossed with my studies. But after the last five years of doing nothing BUT studying I’m more than a little ready to get out and put some of what I’ve learned to use.”

“Maybe. I guess we’ll see how this goes huh? In a few hours none of us might have to worry about anything ever again.”

Twilight stopped before the door to the basement area the brothers’ had commandeered. “You can’t start thinking like that Jubilant. We’re going to succeed. It’s not a matter of wanting to, we HAVE to. All of Equestria, and possibly the entire world is counting on us. Don’t start to doubt yourself now. You’ve brought the changelings, griffons, and ponies together in cooperation. Not even Princess Celestia managed to do that.”

Jubilant gave the unicorn a faint smile. “Thanks. That means a lot to hear.” Her smile didn’t last long. “Doesn’t mean I’m eager to lead so many good folks to war.”

“I can’t say from personal experience of course, but it’s my understanding war is never easy and it’s never desirable. If you started to think it were, THEN I’d be worried. Now come on, let’s see if your insane idea works.”

The woman had to smile along with Twilight at that. The two stepped into the basement watching with mild amusement as Flim and Flam raced between various consoles monitoring lights, gauges and temperatures. “How we lookin’ guys?”

Both whipped their heads toward her at the same time.

“Great!”

“Awful!”

Jubilant nodded firmly. “I’ll add those together and make an ‘alright’ then. Fire it up. We’re heading out in twenty.”

Flim looked elated while Flam looked dismayed. “Stay here and keep an eye on things would you Twilight?” At the pony’s nod Jubilant ascended the stairs once more. Stealing a look up and down the corridor she ducked around a corner to a shadowy alcove far from anypony’s voice. She closed her eyes taking deep breaths. “I can do this. I can do this.”

“I certainly hope you can. Else I, my sisters, and all the warriors I lead will pay the price along side your own people Commander.”

Jubilant leaped nearly a foot in the air, wings beating frantically and holding her aloft as Prince Spinner emerged from the darkness overhead. “O—oh… d—didn’t know you were lurking around…”

The strange spiderkin prince tilted his head regarding her silently a moment. “I have come for clarification on our role in the coming battle. It is my understanding the enemy army is made up not only of ponykind but many others as well. Obviously the enthralled ponies are not to be slain if it can be avoided, but what of the others who march beneath Galaxia’s banner? Are they acting under their own volition or are they victims as well?”

“My uncle says the minotaur, dragons, and giants are hired mercenaries. No magic involved so I guess they’re acting of their own free will.”

Spinner nodded once. “You do not protest their deaths then?”

Jubilant paled a little. “Wh—what? Why are you asking me?”

Gradually Spinner settled himself on the floor. Jubilant was still hovering aloft so they saw eye to eye. “This is your campaign Commander Jubilant. You have accepted the responsibility of seeing your men safely through to the end. You have also accepted the responsibility of the loss of life, on BOTH sides. Ally and enemy will fall this day. That is unavoidable. If you prefer my warriors to focus on incapacitation rather than kill strikes I will relay this, though casualties will be infinitely higher not just to my people but yours and our other allies as well.”

The massive spiderkin paced slow circles around the hovering woman. “Our bites can paralyze or kill at our discretion. The common warrior’s legs are sharp enough to shear through solid stone. We are adept at either manner of combat though incapacitation requires more care, more focus.”

Jubilant stopped beating her wings allowing herself to land on the floor. She’d had similar conversations with Queen Chrysalis and Emperor Steeltalon already. With a deep breath she opened her eyes, jaw set firmly. “Incapacitation for ponies. The rest…. Deal with as you prefer. Keep our casualties to a minimum.”

“A difficult order to give, but if it brings any consolation I believe it is the right one Commander Jubilant. Fight well, and try not to die. It would be unfortunate for the world to lose a warrior of your caliber.”

Walking to the window to watch the Prince scurry across the walls and into the darkness Jubilant sighed softly. “You too Prince Spinner.”

Remaining where she was for several long minutes, she finally sighed when she heard her name being called. Pushing herself away from the window she trudged back toward the main courtyard of the keep.

***

Even knowing their Princess of the Night was an ordinary pony like the rest of them, those assembled in the Citadel of Harmony gazing up at the gaping hole in the cavern above still thought of the bright silver orb in the sky as Luna’s moon. It seemed to be shining extra bright tonight to aid the ponies in their coming night time battle. Most had questioned the wisdom of the Commander’s choice when she announced they would begin the assault after sunset. Until she explained the griffons, changelings, and spiderkin would all operate far better than the ponies in the dark. And since the bulk of Galaxia’s army was ponyfolk this was a major advantage.

Jubilant stood atop the highest point in the Citadel staring intently upward. Echo was close at her side while Shining Armor, Fancy Pants, and Trixie flanked her from behind. Rarity, Applejack, her mother and uncle were with the other knights. Her aunt was with the other medical volunteers ready and waiting to tend the injured.

Noting how tightly Jubilant’s hands were clenched at her sides Echo gave her an affectionate nudge. The woman smiled down at her lover with renewed confidence. “Get ready! We’re about to move!”

Her voice carried to the waiting ponies and changelings in the courtyard below. No sooner had her command been given than the Citadel shuddered violently. A bright flash from the main gates preceeded a tremendous CRACK as the stone ledge the Citadel rested upon broke away. There was a terrifying moment as the Citadel began to drop into the abyss below, then a vivid green glow emanated from beneath the structure. With agonizing slowness, but gradually picking up speed it began to rise.

A great cheer rose up from the gathered resistance force as the Citadel of Harmony soared smoothly up from the depths of the underground and into the cool night air. Most breathed sighs of relief and seemed much cheerier at the seemingly impossible thought of a flying castle coming to life. Those standing with their Commander who could see her face, saw only concern and trepidation there.

"Shining I'll leave coordinating the ground forces to you. I want our unicorn spell slingers to stay up at the Citadel. Try to help the griffons in the air or toss some magic at the ground for the rest of us." The serious look never leaving her face, Jubilant regarded Echo quietly. "It's time for you to get going. Wait for the right moment before striking alright. And... please be safe."

Echo wore a confident smirk as she hopped into the air, pausing only to steal a kiss from her mare before darting off into the night. "Where's she going?"

Jubilant glanced at the questioning Shining Armor. "Last minute preparations. How long until we reach Canterlot?"

Discord squinted into the distance. "We're moving pretty fast. Much quicker than by train. Maybe twenty, thirty minutes tops."

Blowing out a heavy breath the young Commander of Harmony nodded. "Alright then everypony, let's get ready."

***

The assembled forces of Galaxia's army milled about listlessly. Their Queen had called them to Canterlot from every corner of Equestria apparently to repel an incoming attack from the resistance. For most it was a chance to reunite with old acquaintances. Service in the military was required for every earth pony stallion of a certain age, and the service was for life. A few family reunions took place as well, mares, fillies and colts from the towns closer to Canterlot came to see their returning stallions. It was frowned upon as they were supposed to be in a state of readiness but after a week of quiet, ponies were growing restless.

Even the border to the Griffon Empire, typically a source of constant combat was all but silent. Pegasus scouts reported the very rare sighting of a griffon but for the most part it remained quiet. The discomfort of the pony forces only grew as the mercenary forces began to arrive. Large bands of minotaurs marched beside packs of snarling diamond dogs. As if that weren't enough dragons began to arrive in trickles until there were a few dozen of the massive beasts stomping about.

All that could be handled by the well trained troops of Queen Galaxia, but then the giants freed from Tartarus lumbered into view. There were only two of the colossal titans but that was enough to cause a small panic until the Queen herself appeared and quelled everypony's fear. Resplendant in her armor that gleamed with the pitch black of the night sky Galaxia stood upon the highest hill gazing hard toward the western horizon. The Queen hadn't moved from the spot for the last four days, she simply stood and stared.

Overhead the occasional dragon would wing in-between the mighty floating fortress of Cloudsdale where the legions of pegasus soldiers waited to rain destruction upon the heads of their Queen's enemies. Commander Spitfire herself stood at their head prepared to lead the charge. She loosed a derisive snort at the undisciplined earth pony forces milling about below. Her attention was drawn from the ground forces as Fleetfoot, her swiftest scout after Rainbow Dash came to a halt before her breathing hard. "Commander!"

Eyebrows drawing together in a frown Spitfire gave the scout her full attention. "You have something to report?"

"A fortress! A flying fortress is headed here and fast!"

Now the Commander regarded her subordinate in confusion. "Las Pegasus? They weren't ordered to report here. What are they thinking?"

Fleetfoot shook her head rapidly. "No Commander! It's... It's unknown! I think it's the resistance!"

"Well what are you standing around here for! Alert the Queen then get to your post!" Not waiting for Fleetfoot's reply, Spitfire rounded on her waiting forces. "This is it! The enemy has somehow commandeered a cloud fortress and is nearly upon us! Wing Commanders get read to launch your troops!"

Fleetfoot left a streak of cloudstuff in her wake as she rocketed to the Queen, who barely acknowledged her approach. "My Queen! The enemy is here! They'll be upon us any minute!"

Galaxia flicked her eyes over to the panting mare, the faintest hint of a frown upon her face. "A night time attack? Interesting." She looked to the sky, focusing on the new brightly glowing green star overhead. "Perhaps she fancies her forces will have some sort of advantage?"

Against her better judgment Fleetfoot had to ask. "She, divine majesty?"

"A matter you needn't concern yourself with. Return to your Commander and prepare for battle. I suspect their new leader has a surprise or two in store for us."

Fleetfoot was more than happy to comply with her Queen's order and flew as fast as she could back for Cloudsdale.

With a casual gesture toward her waiting commanders, Galaxia didn't so much as glance their way as they approached. "Ready your troops. The time for battle is upon us." Almost as an after thought she added, "Ensure the runes have my juggernaut and personal mount under proper control. Any mistake will mean each of your lives."

Alone again Galaxia focused hard on the western horizon, smiling now as she spotted a dark speck rapidly approaching. "Come then little girl, I will make sure none are left alive to resurrect you a second time."

***

With brisk strides Jubilant made her way through the Citadel toward the main gates. Her knights hot on her heels, soon each rushing off to their own duties. Alone again she veered down a dark hallway to a small side chamber. Three mares sat within talking quietly amongst themselves. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy. Gently closing the door behind herself Jubilant removed her helm revealing the shiny black chitin she had grown in place of her skin. Her vivid green eyes flicked from face to face. "Ready?"

Not a one looked surprised at her changeling aspect being dominant. "Of course! Can't have my little filly rushing out out of batteries now can I?"

With a small smile for her mother Jubilant knelt down before the three. "No one cared more about Jubilant Surprise than you three. So... I know it's a lot to ask but I don't think I can do much with the level of magic I have now."

Rarity rested a hoof against the kneeling woman's shoulder. "No explanation needed darling. Take as much as you need. We're tougher than we look you know?"

Even Fluttershy looked more strong and determined than usual. "We're very proud of you Surprise. And we love you so very much."

Jubilant's twisted horn began to glow brightly, bathing the room in an acrid green light. "I know. I love you too mom, Aunt Fluttershy, Miss Rarity. I'll try to be gentle."

Pegasus, unicorn, and earth pony mare braced themselves and leaned in toward the glowing horn, allowing Jubilant to replenish her magic as best she could on the massive amount of love the three felt for the filly. Even restored to her true self their feelings for Surprise remained just as powerful, only now the love was mingled with healthy doses of pride too.

Gingerly Jubilant ensured the three were sleeping comfortably in the chamber. Rising to her feet she replaced her helm once more and strode back to the courtyard.

"My, my, someone was a bit of a glutton hm?"

Not bothering to look back Jubilant stopped at the edge of the Citadel looking toward the approaching Canterlot. From this distance she could see the floating city of Cloudsdale, the occasional dragon and the massive form of the giants. "Are your changelings ready, Chrysalis?"

"So very familiar already. I didn't think you liked me that much."

"I don't think anyone likes you that much, but if we pull this off that might change hm?"

This brought a laugh from the changeling Queen standing at the woman's side. "Queen Chrysalis, hero of Canterlot. Do you think I'll get one of those lovely windows in the throne room?"

Jubilant quirked a smile looking to the insectoid queen at her side. "If Princess Celestia doesn't give you a window I can give you a statue in my Citadel."

The mirth faded from the Queen's eyes as she stared at the woman quietly. "You really mean that don't you?"

Now she turned to meet the changeling's eyes, her own a greener reflection of Chrysalis'. "I really do."

"Hm. Well I certainly approve of you going into battle like that. If you grow tired of studying under Luna I'd not mind taking you under my wing. You'd make an excellent changeling."

"Once Equestria is back to normal I think I'd like to spend some time in your hive, if you don't mind. When I first decided to stay in Equestria I wanted to explore places off the map. Your hive is as good a place to start as any."

Chrysalis inclined her head politely. "Commander Jubilant if you return Celestia to her throne it would be my genuine honor to play host to you. So long as you don't light my face on fire a second time."

"I won't if you won't."

"Agreed. Now I must take my leave. I've my own role to play I suppose. Good luck Commander."

Jubilant watched the Queen vanished in a flash of green flame. "Good luck to us all Chrysalis."

***

When it began, it began quickly. The pegasi launched themselves at the Citadel en masse hoping to finish the battle before it even began. They obviously hadn't counted on the combined magical might of Trixie, Twilight Sparkle, and Discord. The trio of unicorns buffeted the winged ponies with gale force winds at first. Discord whipped up some kind of strange spell that made the air heavier around the attacking ponies slowing them a great deal.

The few pegasus ponies present in the resistance were kept in reserve as message runners between the ground forces and those stationed on the Citadel itself. That meant the Citadel's air force consisted of exactly one pony, or person to be specific. Commander Jubilant herself launched into the air, wings beating furiously. Her mages were careful to bend and warp their spells around her giving her some much needed aerial mobility over the much better trained fliers of Cloudsdale.

She made for an easy target and soon found herself drawing more than a little attention from the fliers. Most marked her as an easy target despite her fine armor and obvious unicorn horn. Her clumsy flying seemed to indicate inexperience with aerial combat. Which was very true, fortunately for Jubilant she didn't have to rely solely on her wings. Her horn blazed to life as she turned her magic inward strengthening muscle and increasing her speed. As the first pegasus soldiers closed on her they were left gaping in confusion as the clumsy woman suddenly lurched into the air above them leaving naught but air for them to strike.

Bringing themselves around for a second strike, they never got the chance. Mercy's blade gleamed brightly as Jubilant streaked down through the company of pegasi, the newest rune flashing brightly and engulfing them in a warm green hue. The dazed pegasi's wings stopped beating and they began to fall, only to be caught by a keenly watching Fancy Pants whose sole duty was to do just what he was doing. Snatching the flying ponies and bringing them safely into the Citadel after Jubilant's rune freed them of Galaxia's control.

Drawing in on the fear, nerves, and excitement of the soldiers around herself Jubilant was constantly replenishing the magic she was draining to keep herself moving as fast as she was. Group after group of the flying attackers fell as she freed more and more from Galaxia's spell. Her actions hadn't gone unnoticed by the forces of Canterlot however. It was becoming readily apparent the resistance leader had some method for neutralizing ponies. Realizing this now, the dragons were sent into the air. Most went for the Citadel itself but three of the monsters focused solely on Jubilant.

Narrowly evading blast after blast of dragon fire, Jubilant's wings were beginning to tire. As worry began to edge toward panic, a high keening cry split the air. All eyes turned toward Cloudsdale in time to see wings of griffons diving from the night sky above, unerringly plucking dozens of the less night sensitive pegasus ponies from the air. The avian predators talons' were coated in a toxin given to Jubilant by Zecora, rendering any pony they scratched the skin of unconscious in seconds.

They were considerably less gentle when dealing with the dragons. Numerous griffons would focus on one dragon at a time, rending and tearing at the scales. More than a few bodies plummeted to the ground trailing flames, but the arrival of the griffon forces was making a signifigant difference.

Gradually the Citadel had been descending toward the ground. Galaxia's ground forces were already charging forward as the meager resistance forces poured from the entrance and rushed the oncoming horde with shocking bravery. No doubt inspired heavily by Shining Armor at their lead. Just as the armies were about to clash, dozens of green flashes lit up through Galaxia's army as the disguised changelings revealed themselves. At first confused by the appearance of who they assumed were allies, Galaxia's army was thrown into disarray as lances of green magic struck down soldier after soldier.

The non-pony mercenary bands began to wade into the melee swinging clubs, axes, and claws through both changeling and ponies with abandon seemingly not caring at all who they struck down. Shouts of confusion and dismay arose from the back of their force as the ground beneath them simply gave way. Confused cries changed to those of fear as huge monstrous spiders appeared from more and more revealed tunnels. Pouncing upon minotaur or diamond dog with quick precision the arachnid force seemed almost a wave of scuttling blackness engulfing the monsters.

Jubilant felt a surge of hope as everything seemed to be going their way. Hope that grew as a pony streaked by her leaving a blazing trail of crimson magic in her wake. "Have at you monster!"

Umbra's impressive arrival only grew more so as she swung both morning-stars into the nearest dragon's head sending it spiraling to the ground trailing flames as it went. The pony-Princess of the Spiderkin regarded Jubilant with a ferocious smile. "Is this not your war Commander Jubilant? Should you not be fighting as well?"

Shaking her head Jubilant sighed and flew at Umbra's side. "Is everypony alright?"

"Those that accompanied me and then some, yes."

Curious about what she meant, Jubilant didn't have time to voice her question as a pair of dragons split from the main group making for herself and Umbra. The two separated each leading one of the lizards off in pursuit.

The Commander wove back and forth doing her best to stay ahead of the constant gouts of dragon fire threatening to scorch her. Her wild flight came to a confused halt as the flames suddenly stopped. Looking over her shoulder she was alarmed to find she couldn't see the dragon chasing her. Where had something so big-

Her thoughts were interrupted by an ear piercing roar above her. Not looking up she tried to frantically fly to the side, too late. The next jet of flame engulfed her totally rapidly heating her armor and burning her feathers badly, with a cry of anguish she plummeted from the sky streaking toward the ground. Before she could hit a midnight blue aura slowed her descent before easing her to the ground.

Smoke rose from her body in thick plumes, but she still cracked an eye looking up at a fiercely scowling Moon Dancer. "Attend to Jubilant! I will deal with the dragon!"

Wondering just who was going to 'attend' to her Jubilant flinched as an armored set of legs stepped into her field of vision. Gleaming teal and silver armor shined under the warm glow of a unicorn's horn. "I'll have you up in just a sec boss."

The voice was so familiar but... it couldn't be. Then Lyra began to sing softly. Hymn glowing brightly at her side as warm healing magic flooded Jubilant's burns healing them almost completely. With a faint grown she rose to a sitting position. "Lyra?"

"Were you expecting somepony else?" Jubilant could see Lyra grinning madly from behind the shining helmet of a Knight of Harmony.

"You're alive! Lyra what happened?!"

The musician tilted her head and shrugged. "Fell down a hole. Saved some mushroom people, met Umbra's sister, helped kill a lich. Saved Bonny by the way. Pretty awesome few days all in all. So shouldn't you be getting back to winning this war?"

Heart soaring again Jubilant scrambled to her feet. "Right! I'm gonna want the whole story when we're done!"

"Deal! Try not to get barbecued again, I have other stuff to do then heal your smoking butt!"

"I'll do my best." Moon Dancer was nimbly skipping and rolling about the increasingly angry dragon. Jubilant barely slowed in her flight as she flashed by overhead, Mercy digging deep into the dragon's back and leaving a long trail of gleaming blood as she soared toward the ground forces.

Cries of alarm rose up from the united resistance forces. Looking toward the battle Jubilant could see spider, pony, and changeling bodies being flung through the air seemingly without effort. She recognized Shining Armor's magical aegis flash into being around whatever was attacking, but with a gasp she watched it shatter almost instantly. Banking toward the newest menace Jubilant soared over the battle. Below was what she assumed was an earth pony, though it was covered nose to tail in massive plates of armor. Brightly glowing magical runes stood out here and there along its armor as the behemoth charged again, kicking up great gouts of dirt and grass as it barreled into the resistance ponies. One unfortunate mare was tripped by the rumbling ground and crushed instantly by the creature's hooves.

Eyes blazing with fury now Jubilant descended upon the armored pony. The huge pony looked up in time for Jubilant to see it's vivid green eyes widen in surprise, before she was upon it. Mercy flashed out in a bright arc striking against the titan's armored shoulder. The rune there flared brighter and she was flung back by a magical shield, slamming hard into the ground.

Shaking her head violently to clear the cobwebs, Jubilant narrowly evaded a charge from the juggernaut as it surged forward. Rolling frantically to the side she got back to her feet only to be forced to spring to the side as it came around for another pass. Throwing a hand out she tried to seize it in her magic but it slipped away like oil and water. Eyes wide and not having time to dodge she raised Mercy's shield and hoped it would be enough.

A rope shot out from behind the charging pony and snared its hind leg, instantly snapping taut and eliciting a yelp of alarm from the mare on the other end of it. Applejack dug in as hard as she could, and while the armored pony barely slowed, he slowed just enough to give Jubilant a chance to move. "She's got the right idea! No magic! Get ropes!"

A number of earth ponies rushed off to follow Jubilant's orders as she vaulted over the charging pony and landed at Applejack's side. The poor apple farmer was trying gamely to hold onto her lasso but it was a losing battle. Sheathing Mercy Jubilant took the rope in both hands and dug her feet in. Her strength combined with Applejack's was enough to get the juggernaut's hoof off the ground and trip it up. It fell with a tremendous crash, but was already on the rise.

Both mare and woman were jerked forward as it took hold of the rope and began reeling them in. Frantically they pulled back for all they were worth but it was only a matter of time now. Another rope, magically commanded by Shining Armor whipped around the pony's other hind leg. The unicorn Emperor was joined by no less than six earth ponies all hauling back and tugging the armored ponies other leg out from under him. Again he toppled.

Jubilant took firm hold of the rope from Applejack and started hauling it directly UP with her magic. Shining Armor took the cue and both had their ropes going higher and higher into the air. The juggernaut thrashed and flailed madly, but the armor was far too big and bulky for it to twist about and reach the ropes around its hind legs. Spreading her wings the woman took to the air, gripping both ends of the rope physically with her hands while she kept hauling them upward in her magic. Once she felt she was high enough off the ground she began to spin, whirling faster and faster in the air until she and the juggernaut looked like a whirling blur. With a shout she released the ropes sending the huge armored pony soaring through the air, and well out of sight into the Everfree Forest.

Panting heavily from the exertion Jubilant Surprise landed shakily back on the ground. "Got some good distance y'think?"

Applejack chuckled and tilted her hat back, regarding the very distant plume of smoke. "Reckon so. Mighty fine toss there Surprise."

"Thanks for the save Applejack. And good work everypony! Things are going well, let's keep this momentum going. Has there been any sign of Galaxia yet?"

Shining Armor cantered up to Jubilant after giving orders to see the wounded back to the Citadel. "Not yet. Somepony thought they saw her at the beginning of the battle but she disappeared soon after."

With a frown the Commander cast her gaze back out to the battlefield. Overhead the griffons were holding their own against the united dragon and pegasus forces, while the ground battle was swinging heavily in their favor. A tremendous rumbling drew the attention of all present, as the pair of giants finally began to thunder their way into the fray. Neither even bothered to watch where they stepped sending Galaxia's forces and the resistance scattering with reckless abandon. Unerringly both stomped toward the Citadel.

The fortress of the Order of Harmony was already rising back into the air, but any watching could tell it wouldn't get out of the titans reach in time. "Look there!"

All eyes near the pony shouting looked toward Canterlot. A dark cloud was rising from the city, blotting out the moon as it soared into the air. Once it drew closer some of the more keen-eyed ponies could pick out multiple shapes in the swarm. "It's the night tribe!"

Flying at the head of the entire tribe of night ponies, Echo grinned madly as she flew unerringly for the nearest giant. With an enormous amount of restraint she withheld her sonic wails until she was actually within the ear of the titan. Absolutely certain this was by far the grossest thing she'd ever done she wove through the ear canal like some sort of giant, wax covered tunnel. Once she'd decided she was far enough in she started to shriek for all she was worth.

The effect was immediate. The giant's eyes bulged in pain and shock as it clapped one hand over its ear. The other arm flailed wildly as it staggered away bellowing in pain all the while. The rest of the night ponies focused on the other giant. While they lacked Echo's unique brand of attack they had their own fangs and weapons they used to devil the face and eyes of the still functioning titan.

Shining watched it all wide-eyed. "Where did THEY come from?!"

Jubilant couldn't help but smirk. "Under the city. We haven't seen any night ponies since Galaxia took over. Luna found them in the shadow realm and brought them to Equestria, AFTER her mother was sealed away. I figured she might not have known they even existed and assumed Echo was some kind of freak pegasus. No doubt they've been in hiding all this time waiting for the right moment to strike."

A number of the night ponies were joining the griffons in battle, turning the tides rapidly in their favor. A cheer went up from the ponies and changelings of the ground force as it looked like the battle was well in hand.

Cheers that were drowned out by a sudden roar that forced many to their knees in fright. Rising up from below Canterlot was yet another dragon, this one far larger than any currently in the fight. His scales were a deep purple while wickedly sharp green spines rose from his back. Clad in gleaming black armor the newest threat rose into the sky lighting the battlefield with a huge plume of green dragon fire. Astride its back was none other than Galaxia, gazing out coolly at the battle seemingly entirely unconcerned for the direction it was taking.

Even thought it was impossible to tell from so far away, Jubilant knew Galaxia's eyes were locked squarely on her. Just as Galaxia knew Jubilant had eyes only for she. Her mount's eyes were covered in a oscillating haze of magic as he flew for the Citadel, fangs bared and flames already leaking from his maw.

***

"We have incoming ladies! We might want to let the fliers handle the other dragons, it looks like the Queen's got a special one coming just for us!"

Twilight and Trixie both abandoned the spells they were in the middle of conjuring to rush to Discord's side. "Oh no... no it can't be..."

Trixie looked from the horror stricken Twilight to the rapidly approaching monster that as far as she could tell was death incarnate on wings. "It's just another dragon. Albeit a very... big... ferocious looking one...but the Great and Powerful Trixie will strike it out of the sky in one blow!"

"No!" Both Trixie and Discord jumped at the anguish in Twilight's voice. "That's not just some rampaging dragon, it's Spike!"

Looking from Twilight to the rapidly closing dragon Trixie frowned. "Your little assistant? He's certainly gotten bigger. But I'm not sure what we're supposed to do. He IS about to crush us all to death."

Twilight started to pace, thinking quickly. "He's only so big because of a spell I used to artificially age him. Though he was still in his right mind, dragon's are notoriously resistant to spells when they want to be. Galaxia must be using an immense amount of power to keep him under control. We just need to distract them long enough for Spike to regain his senses."

"Can't you just cancel the spell on him then?!"

Twilight shook her head. "No. The armor Galaxia has fitted him with repels magic. If we could get one of those plates off then maybe..."

A silver flash drew the sorceress' attention to Discord. Shedding his pony shape and assuming his draconequus form again. "Sounds like a job for me. Ladies if you'll excuse me, I have to go try not to die horrible." Quirking a little bow to the pair Discord vanished in another flash.

Chewing her lip fretfully Twilight squinted as another flash appeared right before Spike's snout bringing the dragon up short. Charging the necessary spell all she could do now was wait.

***

"Did you REALLY think you would even so much as slow me down you incompetent buffoon?"

Discord flashed Galaxia a cheeky smile as he wove and twisted his way around the Queen's dark magics and Spike's occasional flames. "Well I'd hoped so! I'd be doing a pretty poor job otherwise!" Ducking another flung bolt of magic he rapidly snaked his way toward Spike's underbelly scowling at the conjured saw that was cutting through the armor there with agonizing slowness. "Oh come on!"

He didn't have time to add a second cutting tool as Spike's claws came up very nearly swiping Discord's head from his shoulders. "Is that the best you two can do?!" His taunts were brought up short as Galaxia herself teleported before him, snaking out a hand and gripping him tightly around the throat.

Drawing him in closer she sneered. "No. It isn't." Her magic was pouring into Discord's squirming form sending lances of frigid cold stabbing all over his body. His thrashing was growing fainter and fainter by the second.

A faint hum was the only warning Galaxia had to the oncoming threat. Throwing Discord aside she drifted away as a rapidly spinning blade cut through the air she'd occupied seconds before. Mercy spun in the air and blazed by Discord's magical saw, slicing cleanly through the straps holding the plate of armor around Spike's underside together. It fell to the ground and out of sight as the woman reclaimed her magically controlled sword.

No sooner had the armor been cut away then a bright magenta aura flared from the Citadel punching into the dragon's unprotected stomach. All at once he collapsed in on himself until a confused looking adolescent dragon hung in the air, then he began to fall only to be snared by Twilight. Likewise Discord was caught in Trixie's magic as both began to drift toward the Citadel.

All this went unnoticed by the Queen and the Commander. The winged women face one another with perhaps ten feet separating them as they hung in the air. Jubilant's wings pumping to keep her aloft while Galaxia relied on her magic to do the same. "Quite the impressive showing little girl. Much better than last time."

Gripping Mercy's hilt tightly, Jubilant only frowned. "Surrender Galaxia! It's over! There's no reason for us to fight!"

The black clad Queen only smirked at the earnest young woman's words. "Surrender? To your army of bugs and horses? I think not girl. Once I toss your broken body at their hooves any who don't surrender will be killed. You can best my minions all you like but you will NEVER be my equal!"

Jubilant braced herself as Galaxia streaked forward, a pair of blades black as pitch appeared in her hands. The Commander blocked one with her shield and parried the other with Mercy, moving into a quick lunge and nearly scoring a cut on the Queen. The older woman drifted back eyeing the younger speculatively. "You've improved much little girl. Perhaps this will..." She frowned as a keening wail overhead interrupted her.

Both combatants looked up in time to see Echo diving wildly for the dueling pair, the blades of Stinger ready to strike. Galaxia looked back to Jubilant quirking a smile once more. "It's growing rather crowded out here. You have very rude companions Commander. Let us move our little...disagreement to a more quiet locale?" Before Jubilant could raise a defense Galaxia's magic engulfed them both, swallowing the pair up leaving Echo slicing only air.

***

The numbing chill wormed its way to her very core as Jubilant staggered away from Galaxia when they reappeared. They were in Canterlot Castle's throne room. "There now, this is so much more... intimate don't you think?"

Now Heart!

Jubilant's sword flared to life as the spectral knight within leaped toward the Queen. Galaxia flinched away mildly surprised as she began to parry Bleeding Heart's rapid fire thrusts and lunges. Not letting the opportunity go to waste Jubilant herself soon joined her ghostly companion in assaulting the powerful woman. Slowly but surely Galaxia was backing away from their furious onslaught of attacks.

Just as the young Commander felt she had a chance, Galaxia's blades vanished with a puff of magic and the Queen threw her hands out, sending her power flowing from her horn and into her attackers. Bleeding Heart vanished with an anguished cry as Jubilant herself was thrown from her feet and forced to the ground under the magical attack. Every time she tried to pull herself to her feet another wave would hit her and force her back down. "Did you really think you would defeat me girl?"

Mercy clattered to the floor, her fingers too numb to maintain a grip on it against the magical cold worming its way down to her very bones. Teeth chattering wildly she tugged her arms in close hugging herself tight. "I'm afraid you won't ward off the chill of the void that easily."

Throwing the occasional wave of magic at the cowering young woman, Galaxia strode passed her to gaze out the window at the distant battle. Sighing softly she shook her head. "So senseless. I am curious how you talked all those fools into following you. Especially that insect Chrysalis."

"I--it's something y--y--you'll never und-d-derstand Guh...Galaxia."

Galaxia turned on her heel marching back toward the writhing Jubilant. "Ah. The magic of friendship yes?" The Queen managed to hold her composure for nearly ten seconds after saying that before she began to laugh uproariously. "Oh you little girls running about thinking you have the world figured out. You're just like Celestine. A little mirror image of her when she was your age. So full of fire. So sure she was right about every little thing. That HER way was the best and nothing else could possibly work."

Against her will Jubilant let out an unwilling shriek of pain as Galaxia seized her firmly in her magical aura and hefted her into the air. "And what has Celestine's way brought this country? Stagnation. Comfort. No drive, no ambition. They just drift through their day to day lives content with their stations. None of them looking to be better than their neighbors. Their idea of competition is settling disputes with a friendly game of some sort or another. No society can function like this for long!"

Gritting her teeth against the pain Jubilant scowled. "Except it has... f--for over a thousand years there's been peace and p--prosp--p--perity."

"Bah! It was only a matter of time before the griffons or some other predator swooped in! Now the nation will be strong, ready to fight. I'll lead these witless horses from Equestria and seize control of every country in the world!"

"You're a lunatic Galaxia... and I'm going to stop you."

"Are you? ARE you going to stop me Jennifer 'Jubilant Surprise'? You're soft and weak just like my daughters, just like the little horses you try to emulate so much." Thrusting her hand away from herself Galaxia flung Jubilant into one of the austere pillars in the throne room, cracking the solid marble and sending the groaning woman to the floor.

Marching calmly up to the downed Jubilant, Galaxia flipped her onto her back contemptuously. The elder of the two cocked her head curiously at whatever Jubilant had gripped tightly in her hands. "What have you got there hm? A memento from your pony mother? Or that freakish bat creature you bed down with?" Prying Jubilant's hands apart, Galaxia delicately retrieved the small ordinary little wooden box. Ignoring the younger woman's feeble protests Galaxia gently opened the lid.

A bright flash lit the room causing the Queen to drop the box in shock. "Was that your secret weapon girl? A little burst of light? I hope you enjoyed that because now you..." Galaxia thrust her hand toward Jubilant frowning. "...you... what did you do?"

Galaxia took a step back from the alicorn mare as she shakily rose to her hooves. Jubilant looked just as confused as the human woman did, looking over herself with a faint frown. Until she focused on Galaxia again. "You're human..."

"Of course I'm human you ridiculous little half-wit! I..." Eyes widening in alarm Galaxia frantically spun about trying to see her back clearly. Her wingless back. The long horn that had parted her hair was gone as well.

"Star Swirl's gift." Gingerly the mare nudged the box upright. A small stone that even as she watched dwindled to ash sat on the floor. She could feel it draining all the magic from the room. It had forced them both back into their natural states. Since Jennifer was resurrected as a pony, this was her proper body now. Whereas Galaxia's state of normalcy was an entirely ordinary human woman.

Mercy lay where Jubilant had dropped it, and both pairs of eyes went to the suddenly mundane blade laying between them. As one both sprang into action rushing for the sword. Hooves and boots pounded the marble as Jubilant and Galaxia each tried to outrun the other. Realizing the pony was far faster on four legs than she was on two, Galaxia cried out in fury and tackled her opponent. Jubilant yelped in alarm as she was dragged to the ground off her hooves.

Rolling with the Queen grappling her tightly Jubilant snapped her hind legs into the woman's gut sending her vaulting away through the air, to land heavily on the other side of the room. Scrambling back to her hooves she seized Mercy's hilt in her mouth and charged after the fleeing Queen.

Galaxia was running as fast as she could but the four legged alicorn mare was galloping much faster than she could run. Only her finely honed survival instinct saved her life. The second she heard Jubilant vault into the air behind her she dove through the window and out into the gardens below. Mercy's blade sliced the air where her head had been seconds before.

The woman was slower to rise now, after the pair of heavy falls she was beginning to feel fatigued and pained. Sensations she hadn't experience in several centuries of time. She didn't have long to recover as Jubilant vaulted from the window after her. The mare had no magic at the moment so she couldn't fly, and she didn't have the augmented earth pony strength and stamina but she was young and well muscled, two things Galaxia was not.

Landing on her hooves with a grunt Jubilant took off like a shot after the fleeing Queen. Already she could feel a prickling sensation along her horn, signifying the return of her magic. Spurred on by sudden panic Jubilant vaulted forward smashing through one of the well trimmed hedges and colliding solidly with Galaxia's back. Wrapping her forelegs around the woman's waist the mare bore her to the ground, and delivered a powerful stomp to the small of her back.

Galaxia arched her back and howled with pain, feebly trying to crawl away. She didn't get far before stopping short as Jubilant stepped in front of her. Weakly the older woman raised her eyes to meet the younger mare's, the brilliant blue orbs blazing. Mercy's hilt clenched tightly in her teeth Jubilant raised her head to strike.

Holding the pose for a moment, and then another... Jubilant could only stare down at the cringing woman. Gone was the imperious, unflappable Queen. Now Galaxia just looked... old. Old and defenseless. Could she really murder her like this? Besting her in fair combat was one thing but this... this felt wrong.

Slowly she lowered her sword with a frown. Almost not believing her look Galaxia dared to raise her head. "You're not going to kill me?"

Clearly conflicted Jubilant slowly shook her head. "I... no. I can't. Not like this." The tingles of her returning magic were growing stronger, strong enough that Galaxia was beginning to look rejuvenated.

"How very noble of you girl. I'll remember your honor and nobility for all time if it brings some comfort to what comes next." The woman's wings and horn slowly reformed as she rose to her feet languidly.

Jubilant likewise shifted to her humanoid shape, holding the once more shining Mercy in her sword hand. Taking a ready stance she prepared for Galaxia to resummon her weapons. Thinking back, she couldn't believe how naive she'd been. With no hesitation Galaxia flung a wave of magic toward the Commander of Harmony once more striking her down with waves of impossible cold.

"Honor. Mercy. Nobility. Friendship. A leader must be above such things. It's why Celestine and Lucinda couldn't best me. It's why that ridiculous, sparkling so-called Empress won't best me. And it's why you most certainly couldn't do what needed to be done to best me." Clenching her fist tightly Galaxia lifted Jubilant off her feet, pulling her in closer. "And now you've failed. You've failed all the little ponies, and bugs, and cat-birds fighting in your name out there. Once you're dead... again... I'll recast my control spell stronger than ever and bring Equestria back into order."

Galaxia tightened her magical grip, drawing several pops and cracks from the trapped woman and eliciting a long keening wail of pain from her as the older woman squeezed the life from her. A keening wail that wasn't fading despite Jubilalnt's mouth being closed. Recognition dawned in the Queen's eyes just as Echo burst into view wailing loud enough to draw blood from Galaxia's ears and mouth. With a gasp of pain she flung Jubilant aside turning to face the newest threat.

"Not again! Do you hear me?! You won't take her from me again!" Stinger's blades snapped open in the borrowed pegasus blade carriers Echo had strapped to her forelegs as she cut through the air mercilessly trying to gouge Galaxia's face or throat.

Caught unawares by the sonic attack Galaxia was momentarily disoriented, but not so much that she couldn't defend herself. A dome of black magic appeared around her, repelling the incensed night pony and sending her careening wildly away. She had no time to rest as two lines of angry sparks flared from her shield as some unseen assailant began to assault it. Gasping in fatigue and fury Galaxia released a pulse of magic into the surrounding area. With a yelp Moon Dancer snapped into view and was flung to the ground, the blades of Nightsinger clattering beside her.

"You... you DARE?! You dare to come before me after what you've done?! You are no daughter of mine Lucinda! Even before you willingly gave up what made you better than these beasts! You've always been a little traitor, whispering poison into your sister's ear! Turning her against me!"

Moon Dancer frantically tried to get back to her hooves as Galaxia approached, the woman summoning her sword as she neared. Gasping in agony she was forced into the air by her mother's magic. "With you gone perhaps Celestine will finally come to her senses. It pains me less than I would have expected to do this. Goodbye Lucinda."

The sound of a blade tearing through flesh and armor ripped through the gardens. With a yelp Moon Dancer hit the ground and bounced, rolling to her hooves. Slowly, not sure of what happened Moon Dancer opened her eyes and looked upon the woman who gave her life. Galaxia was staring down at her chest unbelieving, Mercy pressed all the way to the hilt against her back, the shining pink blade dimmed by the dark blood staining it.

Looking passed her dumbfounded mother Moon Dancer could see Jubilant Surprise behind the older woman, her face a twisted mixture of rage, fear, and anguish. As Galaxia's strength failed her Jubilant gently withdrew Mercy, laying the blade beside her as she eased Galaxia to the ground. Tears were welling in the young woman's eyes as she looked down upon the woman who;d killed her five years ago. "I'm sorry. I'm... I'm so sorry."

A small trickle of blood ran from Galaxia's lips down her cheek. "Do not apologize girl... history... history is written by the victor. You will be remembered... hnn... as the hero who returned Princess Celestia to her... to her insipid little ponies." The woman turned darkening eyes toward her pony daughter. "While I will be remembered as the tyrant who..." She paused as a brief coughing fit overtook her. "...who tried to kill her youngest daughter..."

"I... I can heal you! With Mercy...if you'll just... just promise to... to be nice... I guess..."

With a derisive snort Galaxia weakly shoved Jubilant away. "Fool girl. You're... far too soft for this..." She looked as though she may have wanted to say more, but the light fled her eyes in that moment. Galaxia's chest grew still. Gingerly Jubilant reached out, gently closing her eyes.

Jubilant remained where she was, kneeling over the body and staring at the still face, her own an expressionless mask. Echo and Moon Dancer both limped their way to stand at either side of her. "I'm sorry you were forced to do that Jubilant Surprise. It is not a burden I wanted you to carry."

Echo laid a hoof on Jubilant's leg. "C'mon Jenny. It's over, finally. Let's just... go let everypony know alright?"

Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath Jubilant nodded. Slowly she rose to her feet, staring at her sword for a long moment before cleaning it in the grass and returning it to its sheath.

"What do we do about her?" Jubilant nodded toward the body.

"I will see to my mothers remains. I believe you've done quite enough this evening."

All three whirled to the castle to see Celestia, in human shape but without her sword and armor walking toward them slowly. Her face was a stony mask as she approached. "Princess I..."

Celestia cut Jubilant off by sharply raising her hand. "You've killed my mother tonight Jennifer Allen. While I can't help but agree that she was evil and wicked she was still my mother. I still loved her and... and you killed her. I think it best if you left Canterlot. Now. Return to your Citadel, or Ponyville or... or back to your own world where you belong. I don't wish to see you in my Castle, or in my city for that matter again."

Moon Dancer bristled at her sister's words stepping forward. "Celestia how can you say such things?! Without Jubilant, Equestria would still be in Galaxia's grip! Our people were suffering, dying!"

Celestia's mask finally broke. "Don't you think I know that?! Of course I know what she's done Luna! Of course I felt every one of my little ponies as they were ripped away from their lives, their families, far too soon! For all that she did... all that she was she was still our mother! How can you feel nothing?!"

The midnight blue unicorn shook her head firmly. "I haven't considered her my mother in centuries. My mother was a kind, generous unicorn who looked after us, sheltered us, and kept us safe until we could protect ourselves after Galaxia abandoned us. This... CREATURE... may have given birth to me, but she was not my mother."

Celestia's face hardened once more. "Fine. Go then, go with our mother's killer and celebrate her death. I will mourn her alone if need be. But mark me Jennifer, you are never to set foot in Canterlot again. Do you understand?"

Mutely the younger woman could only nod. With some alarm she saw Echo about to launch herself at the Princess of the Sun, and laid a restraining hand on her back. "...c'mon. We need to let them know it's over."

Casting a brief glance toward Celestia as she kneeled over Galaxia's body Jubilant spoke softly. "...I'm sorry for your loss." Then she, Echo, and Moon Dancer left the daytime Princess to mourn.

Author's Note:

So my old computer died. Had to type this in WORDPAD of all things that has no spell check or anything. Lost my editor's email and he's busy all week anyway so if this is kinda sloppy that's why. When he gets back I'll send it to him to be cleaned up, but I figured y'all have been waiting long enough for this.

Anyhoo, just the final chapter and Galaxia's Equestria is finished.