• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,064 Views, 238 Comments

Galaxia's Equestria - pchn00



Queen Galaxia has returned and remade Equestria in her image. The ponies need a hero! They need...Discord? The reformed draconequus must collect the Elements of Harmony with the help of his young niece in order to return a fallen friend.

  • ...
9
 238
 2,064

Chapter 14: Music All Around Us

Chapter 14: Music All Around Us

Lyra had been fully prepared to meet her end leading the abomination over the edge of the chasm. That’s not to say seeing Jennifer diving for her didn’t fill her heart with hope. Bon-bon was gone, and there was nothing she could do about that. She was one of the Knights of Harmony now, she had a duty to all of Equestria and her Bonny would beat her senseless if she knew she was throwing that away over her.

Reaching a hoof out, she could almost feel Jenny’s fingers touching her, then the stupid monster wrapped a tentacle around her waist and flung the frantically flapping human woman into the wall. Eyes wide, Lyra hastily resumed her playing, bringing the beast back under her thrall. It was too late. Jen was wobbling erratically, shaking her head in a daze.

Grimacing slightly, she looked at the enthralled monster staring at her in a daze. Flicking her eyes beyond it, she couldn’t see Jen anymore; she’d fallen too far. The light from those weird glowing plants from above was gone, and the only light now came from her horn. She narrowed her eyes at the monster, briefly considering jabbing it repeatedly with her sword. That thought was dismissed quickly. Splattering on the ground would probably hurt less than being torn apart by a giant undead monster.

Splattering on the ground. “What the hay is wrong with me? Splattering on the ground!? I don’t want to splatter on the ground!” Her music continued to play, holding the monster in thrall while she expanded her magical light to illuminate more of the chasm wall as she fell. Her eyes darted back and forth, looking for something to grip with her magic, or a ledge or something to try and land on. Of course, she’d been falling long enough now anything she hit would probably turn her into a smudge.

That was when a sound reached her ears. Stretching toward it, she perked her ear fully. There! She could hear water down below. ‘Maybe some kinda underground river?’ Water definitely made for a more delicate landing than stone. She looked back up at the falling monster. Of course if that thing landed on top of her, it didn’t matter how deep the water was, it probably wouldn’t make a difference.

Newly determined, she continued to play her song while focusing her magic in her hind legs. The sound of the water was getting closer, and she knew she had little time to act. Covering her hind hooves in a protective sheath, she grit her teeth and kicked off the stone wall behind her. Her legs snapped back painfully the second they made contact with the wall, her momentum carrying her along so quickly even the brief contact jarred her legs up and back. Still, the kick had the desired effect, carrying her through the air away from the plummeting creature.

“Alright! Step one complete! Step two… don’t splatter all over the water…” She finally stopped her playing, pulling her lyre in close as she enveloped her body in a glowing bubble of magic. “Come on harmony magic, do your stuff…” Lyra squinted down at the now visible raging river. Praying to Celestia that it was deep enough for her to not smash right into the bottom of it, pouring all her energy into hardening the bubble into a protective shell.

Even with her amped up magic, the impact against the water sent her bouncing around her bubble painfully. Her prayers were answered that it was deep enough to not crush her on impact at least. Her bubble sank beneath the surprisingly raging river, then bobbed back to the surface, smacking her muzzle painfully against the side. It was all she could do to maintain her concentration as she was tossed about. Dizzily, she looked back the way she’d came, in time to see the monster smash into the water with no such protection. She turned a darker shade of green as bits of bone and gore spattered her shield.

She was still being tossed about on the underground river, but at least she was staying on the surface of it. Turning to face the direction she was going, she looked about, trying to find a bank of some kind to pull herself out on. No such dry patch presented itself, only the sheer walls on either side of her stretching up into the blackness overhead. Her ears swiveled forward as they picked up a new sound over the roaring river about her. They soon splayed back as the light from her bubble illuminated the rapids ahead. She was approaching a waterfall.

“Ponyfeathers.”

Lyra was wet. Very wet. With an irritated grunt, she twitched an eye open to be greeted by perfect blackness. She panicked for just a moment before she remembered where she was. Her left hind leg was throbbing painfully, and she could just barely feel the tug of a gentle current on her lower half. With a grimace, she ignited her horn, bathing the area in its radiant golden glow. She must have banged her head and been knocked out when her bubble went over the falls. Her saddlebags were still on her back, sword on her hip, and even her lyre had somehow made it out intact. The instrument was a little dinged up, but more or less undamaged, clutched tightly to her chest.

Laughing a little, she nudged it further up onto the bank before working to pull herself up. Her leg immediately gave a scream of protest, buckling under her and sending her tumbling to the ground with a pained cry. “M— must have twisted it…” Gingerly rising on three legs, she held the injured hind leg away from the ground, hobbling out of the water onto the cool stone.

She was in a large cavern. She could still hear the waterfall roaring back the way she’d come, but the raging river had calmed to a gentle running stream for the most part. Dipping her head down, she drank her fill from it, letting out a deeply satisfied ‘ahh’. Awkwardly walking from the river, she used her horn to light the darkness ahead. There was some kind of green plant growing on the stones and walls around her that smelled edible.

“…well, if Umbra ate this stuff her whole life…” Wrinkling her nose at the slightly slimy texture, she scooped up a mouthful, nearly gagging it back out. Still she was exhausted and starving, and forced herself to swallow. “Bleh-eh-heh! Oh that poor mare.” With a deep breath, she took another mouthful of the vile slimy stuff, swallowing it down. She managed two more before she’d had enough.

“Right, if I starve I starve, but that’s enough rock muck for me.” She could see a tunnel ahead, but with a sigh, she looked back at her wounded leg. “Not gonna get very far on you…” She trailed off as she heard… a voice.

Ears perked, they swiveled forward, back, and to the sides trying to pick up on it. “…hello? Is anypony there?” It was faint. Very faint, but it was definitely… kinda a voice. She couldn’t make out words really, more like a feeling. It was close. It was… coming from her hip. Eyebrows raised, she looked back at the sword belted around her hip. “That’s right. In Jen’s story the old knights heard the voices of their weapons, didn’t they?”

Carefully lowering herself into a sitting position, mindful of her leg, she used her magic to draw Hymn from it’s sheath. The rune at the base of the blade was glowing the same gold as her magical aura. “Well hello? What’s that you’re saying…?” She craned her head closer, ear perked up. “…sing? I don’t really think this is the… well alright, alright no need to be rude! Sing what?”

Eyeing the blade skeptically, she sighed and cleared her throat.

Hush now quiet now it’s time to lay your sleepy head…

She faltered as the rune began to glow brighter, small twinkling motes sparkling away from it toward her leg. Once she stopped singing however, the glow dimmed. “Alright, jeez! You’re very pushy for an inanimate object.”

Hush now quiet now it’s time to lay your sleepy head.
Hush now quiet now it’s time to go to bed.
Drifting off to sleep, the exciting day behind you.
Drifting off to sleep, let the joy of dreamland find you.
Hush now quiet now lay your sleepy head.
Hush now quiet now it’s time to go to bed…”

As she sang, the glow from her sword’s rune intensified, the golden light flowing from the blade to envelop her wounded leg. She felt a warm tingling sensation, then… the pain was gone. With a grin, the mare tapped her leg on the floor of the cavern once, then twice. “Look at that! Is that my first rune? Did I figure it out!?”

She slid her sword back into it’s sheath, nodding at the voice only she could hear. “Wow, that’s really cool. Gotta sing every time though, huh? I’m more of an instrumental musician, y’know?”

Lyra walked about the cavern a bit, making sure everything was in working order. Sending a little magical pulse through her fur, she pushed the water away, drying herself off. “Alright! Leg is fixed, belly full of cave slime, nice and dry. Time to get out of here.”

Looking back the way she came, she dismissed that idea right away. “No flying spells, so no going back up the waterfall. This would be an awesome time for one of my flying friends to swoop in and save the day!” She shouted toward the waterfall, ear perked hopefully. An ear that soon drooped back down. “They think I’m dead of course.” Her eye drifted to the element of loyalty still hanging around her neck. “Probably come looking for this, but who knows when? Guess I’m hoofing it.”

Tightening the strap on her saddlebag, and glad Bon-bon bought her the enchanted waterproof one, she set off down the tunnel. Her gait sagged a bit at the thought of her lost fillyfriend. She shook her head violently after a moment. “Now’s not the time for moping! I’ll do plenty of that when I get out of here. If I remember right, Umbra said her family sends patrols through the tunnels all the time, I just have to run into one of them.”

Shaking her head at the idea that she was hoping to run into a bunch of giant spiders down here in the dark, she set out once more. It was quiet, which was nice. After leading a giant undead monster over a cliff, then riding the rapids over a waterfall, she could use a little peace and quiet. She hoped Jen and the others were alright. Who knew what craziness they were getting up to now...

She walked along, eyeing the occasional mushroom or bug with idle curiosity. This place had its own kind of natural beauty. If she weren’t all by herself, she might actually be enjoying herself. She stopped short as she stepped on something that crunched loudly underhoof. Curiously, she peered down, and her breath caught in her throat. The floor ahead was littered with bones. None looked like they belonged to a pony, but still; a whole cavern full of bones was pretty off-putting.

Glancing back the way she’d come, she considered backtracking, but that was no good. It’d been a straight shot so far, and all that was back there was a waterfall she couldn’t climb. Focusing on her magic, she created a globe of light, casting it forward and making it swell and grow as it went, hanging in the air like a tiny golden sun. Her brief moment of relief at the bright illumination faded at the loud hissing sound issuing from within.

She barely caught sight of movement on the wall to her right, instinctively lunging forward, she managed to dodge ahead of the huge sticky tongue that smashed into the spot she’d occupied seconds ago with enough force to crack the stone. Lyra scrambled over the bones, whirling to face the massive lizard. It looked like a gecko, but one big enough to swallow her in two bites.

Escape was her first thought. She could see an exit on the other side of the chamber, but when she tried to move toward it, the lizard raced like a blur across the wall to bar her exit. Gritting her teeth, she slid Hymn free. “I don’t want to fight! Just let me pass!” She had no idea if it was smart or not, but it was worth a try.

Its only response was an enraged hiss. It had its eyes tightly shut against the light, but somehow it was still unerringly moving toward her. When it opened it’s mouth again to shoot its tongue, Lyra could see a row of razor sharp teeth. Gulping, she hastily conjured up a magical shield. The tongue impacted hard enough to send a backlash through her horn, giving her a ringing migraine.

“Alright! That’s it!” She sent her sword racing ahead in a lightning quick thrust. At the last second, the lizard flinched away, but she still managed to scratch a deep line along its side. She flinched at the sudden spray of blood, hoping it would be enough to scare the beast off.

If anything, it seemed to make it angrier. Jaws gaping wide, it barreled down on her, hissing wildly. Lyra screamed in fear in response, scrunching her eyes shut and bringing Hymn racing back toward herself in an attempt at defense. She heard a weird ‘thunk’ sound. After several seconds of not being eaten, she dared to open an eye.

There was the lizard lying very still on the floor, her blade sunk into the back of its head to the hilt. She stared at it for a long time, just sitting amidst the bones of the lizard’s prey. A big undead monster was one thing, but this was a living creature, and she’d killed it. Sure it was trying to kill her first, but still… it was a pretty jarring experience.

Sighing softly, she drew her blade from the back of its head, resting a hoof on its side. “Sorry about that, fella. But I have friends who’re waiting for me. Can’t get eaten today.” Flicking Hymn clean, she sheathed it and continued down the new tunnel.

Lyra had been walking for a while now. A few hours maybe? It felt like it. Anytime she’d come to branching tunnels, she’d simply flip a bit to decide which way to go. “Now I’m kinda wishing I’d learned Jenny’s Find It spell…” She paused and blinked. Jen was terrible with magic, so the spell couldn’t be that hard to pull off. She was no Twilight Sparkle, but Lyra knew her stuff when it came to basic magic use. And she was all hyped up on harmony juice now to boot!

Grinning excitedly now, she planted her rump on the ground and started to work out the basic ideas of the spell in her head. It would have to be really simplistic for Jen to’ve mastered so quickly, maybe a very rudimentary variation on a locator spell? Lyra could work with that.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and concentrated on what components would be necessary. Blending a locator spell matrix with the very broad concept of ‘stuff’ she felt the spell click into place. “Jeez she’s kinda a dummy. But if it works, it works!” Sticking her tongue out as she focused, she tested her new spell, desiring to be lead to the surface. Almost immediately her horn tried to pull her in a dozen directions and once, and with a strangled squawk she ended the spell.
“Ok, maybe she’s not such a dummy. Let’s be more specific…” She narrowed the search to ‘nearest path to the surface’. She was directed to head back the way she came. Hopping to her hooves, she dashed back along the tunnel, retracing her steps for quite a while before she finally came to an unfamiliar branch. She had no idea how far she was from the surface, but her spell was (hopefully) leading the way.

After another long stretch of walking, her stomach began to grumble again. Heaving a sigh, she switched from ‘surface’ to ‘nearby food’ for her spell. Luckily, it was leading her in the same direction, and the tugging felt far more insistent than it had when she was looking for the surface. That was interesting to note. Apparently the closer she got to what she was looking for, the stronger the pull.

The pulsing in her horn grew almost frantic as she exited the tunnel into a new chamber. This one was certainly different than any other she’d passed through. It was filled with giant mushrooms of a dizzying array of hues. Their sizes ranged from as big as she, to the size of the tallest trees in Whitetail Woods. Grinning in amusement, she approached the nearest mushroom. “A whole mushroom forest. This is pretty awesome.”
A basic spell to detect poison showed the large mushroom she’d been eyeing was safe to eat. Gingerly, she took a bite from the cap. It was surprisingly sweet and flavorful. Almost tasted like real food if she could ignore the bizarre spongy texture. Doing her best to push aside the ‘this is gross’ thoughts, she nudged the mushroom onto its side, eating her fill. With a satisfied grunt, she sat up from her meal, looking about the cavern.

While not terribly excited at the prospect of falling asleep down here, her body was definitely telling her it was bedtime. Trotting to the nearby wall, she used her magic to uproot a handful of mushrooms, surrounding herself with them like a little fortress. She seriously doubted they’d actually keep out anything that wanted to eat her, but hopefully it would be a bit of camouflage.

Settling down atop the cap of a particularly squishy fungi as an impromptu bed, she slid the other gift from Starswirl free of her saddlebag. Grateful to Bon-bon for springing for the waterproof enchantment, she laid the old book out before her hooves. She was a mare who always needed to read a bit before bed, and now was as good a time as any to crack her new book.
The Secrets of Spellsong, by Sunshine Heartstrings

Movement from outside her mushroom fortress roused Lyra from her sleep. She felt rested, if irritated about being woken up early. Her irritation fled when she recalled where she was. Frowning at the impenetrable gloom beyond, she had no choice. She lit her horn, announcing her presence to whatever was out there. If she was about to be attacked anyway, she needed to see it coming.

Slowly sliding Hymn from it’s sheath, she prepared to defend herself as the movement came closer. She was surprised as a large pair of hands gripped the biggest mushroom sitting in front of her, lifting it away. She was even more surprised at the owner of the hands. It was tall, shaped vaguely like a human, but its body was pale white and spongy. Instead of a head, it had a huge mushroom cap, but she could vaguely make out slits beneath the cap that may be eyes.

Lyra held her sword out threateningly, but the creature merely stared down at her. More movement drew her attention as another pair of the creatures approached. Rather than attack however, all three merely stared at the mare. She tensed again as the first knelt down reaching a hand out, but it was moving slowly, carefully as if to show it lacked hostile intentions. Gingerly, Lyra reached a hoof toward the hand touching it. The mushroom man gripped her hoof and shook it up and down once.

Smiling now, the mare slid her sword away. “Uh… hello? Do you talk? Do you understand me?” The creature released her hoof, tilting its head at her words. She sighed a little. “I’ll take that as a no. Uh… sorry if I ate some of your friends… I was pretty hungry.” Looking to its companions, the mushroom man surprised Lyra by emitting a low hum from somewhere in its body. The others likewise hummed, looking to Lyra almost expectantly. Her eyes widened as she realized they were trying to communicate. “Oh! Oh one second! I have just the thing!”

The creatures leaned away at her sudden shouting, but made no move to withdraw. She hastily dug out her book, flipping through the table of contents. “Where is it… where is it… aha! Musical communication! Let’s see now…” The spell song was a mix of spell matrix and musical notes. Sunshine had apparently found a way to make very complex spells simply by blending unicorn spell casting with music.

Clearing her throat, Lyra sang her way through the song slowly, splitting her focus between the spell matrices and the lyrics. She felt a warm tingle in her throat and ears. “Ahem. How’s this?”

The lead mushroom looked to its companions in surprise. “You sing our song?”

Lyra’s grin widened. “I do now! It’s uh, magic. A special kind of song I can use to understand you and speak to you!”

It seemed to accept her explanation, nodding. “We are the myconid. What are you?”

“Oh! Uh… I’m Lyra. It’s nice to meet you, Myconid.” She offered him a friendly smile, looking between him and his friends.

“The myconid have never seen a creature such as the lyra before. How came you to be in our forest?”

She giggled a little at being called ‘the lyra’, but didn’t see any need to correct the creature. “I fell down a waterfall. I’m trying to find my way home. To the surface? Do you know it?”

It nodded. “The myconid know of the surface, though do not venture to it. It is far from here. Does the lyra wish for us to guide it?”

Lyra had her locator spell, but she’d feel a whole lot better travelling with somepony—or something—friendly. “It does! It really does! Thank you!”

Again, the myconid nodded. “Come then. Though try to be quiet. There are many dangers in the tunnels beyond, and it would be best to not attract attention. The lyra does not appear to be very large or dangerous.”

She had to smile at that. “The lyra isn’t very large, but she can be dangerous if she has to. Don’t worry about me.”

This seemed to satisfy the creatures as they began to shamble along the cavern. She hurried to keep up, and almost immediately they halted. The leader leaned down, gently scooping the mare up and resting her atop his cap. “The lyra is too loud. The myconid will carry it.”

She looked down at her hooves. Of course hooves clopping across stone would make tons of noise. Sheepishly, she leaned over his cap to look her bearer in the eyes. “Sorry about that. Not much I can do about my hooves.”

It shrugged. “We are all as the great creators made us. The lyra should not apologize for her differences.”

Lyra settled back with a smile. “For giant mushroom men, you guys are alright. Bet you’d fit right in in Equestria.”

The myconid didn’t seem to have a response to that, and travelled in silence for a time. Since they didn’t seem to require light, Lyra reluctantly dimmed her horn. She wasn’t in the dark long. As the myconid trudged along, making barely a whisper as they went, the mare could see a dim glow coming from the tunnel ahead. As her bearers entered the area, her eyes widened.
Spread out among the huge chamber was a village. Cut from the giant mushroom trees, dozens of myconid went about their business. She could see big ones and little ones scurrying about. It almost looked like a normal pony town. “Is this your home?”

“Yes. The myconid welcome the lyra to their new grove. It has stood longer than any before it.”

Lyra couldn’t help but smile. From here she could hear the song the myconid below hummed to one another as they worked. “It’s beautiful. What happened to the old grove?”

“The devourer came. As it always does. It comes, feasts, and then leaves. The myconid that survive rebuild.”

Lyra didn’t like the sound of that. “The devourer? What’s that?”

“A great beast. It comes, eats the myconid and their homes, then leaves.”

“That’s terrible! Can’t you do something!?”

“No. The devourer is…” The myconid’s song faltered as the ground began to rumble. “…the myconid apologize to the lyra. The devourer is come. If the lyra is silent, it may not notice her.” Gently, the myconid she was riding set Lyra down on the ground. “The lyra must remain still and silent until it has passed.”

Lyra’s eyes widened. “What about you? Where are you going?”

“This one has spores that it must try to protect. It apologizes, and hopes the lyra can forgive.” Her bearer and its two companions each bowed before they moved to the edge of the ledge they had been walking. Soundlessly, they began to walk down the side toward their grove, their sticky feet clinging to the stone seamlessly.

Despite their warning, Lyra moved to the edge of the ledge. There in the center of the grove, she could see the ground beginning to bulge upwards. With a tremendous explosion of stone and dirt, a massive worm ripped itself free. It glowed an eerie purple color in the light of the glowing fungi in the grove. It towered as big as the largest mushroom trees, opening a great gaping fanged lined maw and bellowing as it towered above the panicking myconid.

Lyra gasped in horror as the worm slammed down on the nearest group of mushroom people, the trio disappearing into its maw, their song silenced forever. She felt her fury rising as she drew Hymn. With a loud cry she reared up on her hind legs and slammed her forehooves into the stone. “Hey! Hey over here!”

The worm had no eyes, so it must hunt by sound, and she was making quite a racket. It swiveled in its hole toward her, working its mandibles in anticipation of the noisy meal. She gulped as it began to slither her way. “Oh maybe I should have thought this out a little better.”

With the worm bearing down on her, she frantically darted back the way she’d come, leading it away from the grove. It followed relentlessly. For a moment she thought she’d get away as she darted into the tunnel leading to the forest she’d slept in. A disgusting squelching noise from behind drew her attention. The worm had compacted its body, slithering into the smaller tunnel using its slime to propel itself forward.

“Oh that is so gross. Definitely grosser than the big undead monster guy.” She burst into the forest, running for her life as the worm wriggled and writhed its way free. She had a few moments as she raced through the chamber before it’d be after her again. Looking about for something bigger than her toothpick of a sword to use as a weapon, she gave one of the big mushrooms an experimental kick. Of course her hoof sank into the spongy fungus.

“Shoot. Was hoping it’d be hard as a real tree.” A bellow from the tunnel heralded the worm freeing itself, and Lyra shook her head, galloping faster. Her horn glowing brightly to help her see, something above caught her eye. Glancing up, she saw a stalactite, a huge one. An idea was swiftly forming in her head. She swapped Hymn for her lyre, positioning herself where she hoped she wouldn’t be crushed by the stone. Frantically, she flipped through her book of spell songs.

“Okay, okay, I can do this! Come on great grand-dad, you old horndog, your song better work!” The worm was smashing aside the huge mushrooms on its rampage toward her. Lyra in turn began to sing and play rapidly. She could feel the magic prickling in the air, a bolt of pure destructive sound forming. Trying to tune out the slithering slimy worm on its way to eat her, she focused on her spell, building it bigger and bigger. With one last sharp note,she released it, sending the magic screaming up into the base of the stalactite.

It sheared through like a knife cutting butter, and with a resounding ‘THOOM’, it dropped from the ceiling, piercing the worm’s head and squishing it like a grape. This had the considerably less desirable effect of showering the young musician in a small wave of dead worm gore. Lips pursed tightly together, Lyra stood very still, trying her best not to keel over. ‘Is this what Rarity felt like when a speck of dirt hit her coat? The poor thing must be half insane.’

Her thoughts were interrupted as her myconid guide arrived. “The lyra has… slain the devourer?”

This helped bring her a bit out of her shell shock. “Yup! The lyra has slain the devourer. Your people are safe.”

The myconid trudged through the goopy mire of worm head, lifting Lyra almost reverently. “The lyra will be sung of for generations! For all time! The myconid will never forget their savior!”

“…The lyra would really appreciate a bath if the myconid doesn’t mind.”

Shuddering a little at the memory of getting a worm bath, Lyra ran her hoof through her mane for probably the thousandth time since emerging from the stream the myconid use for water. The trip had been rather uneventful after she killed the worm. The myconid claimed the predators could smell her prowess, and would trouble them not at all. She believed them when they passed a trio of giant turtle monsters who didn’t so much as give the group a second look.

“Hey those are the spiderkin! Will they bother us?” They had reached the tunnels of Umbra’s people. The thick webbing hung from the walls and ceilings here and there. A small group of the large spiders regarded the myconid and pony silently.

“The spiders do not bother the myconid, as the myconid do not bother the spiders. Though the myconid have never come so far into the spiders’ tunnels. It may agitate them.”

Lyra smiled and hopped off his head. “Well I think I should go it alone from here. I’m uh… friends with their Princess. I’ll be fine.”

The myconid accepted her words without argument. “Very well. The myconid is pleased it met lhe lyra, and would invite it to return to the grove whenever it should wish.”

Lyra smiled. “The lyra will do her best to visit the myconid sometime soon. Thank you for all your help!”

Bowing its head, the myconid turned and began to trudge its way back to its home. Lyra watched him go for a time before turning to the still watching spiders. “So uh… is Umbra around?”

The spiders looked to one another. One of them approached Lyra slowly. It was missing the eyes on the left side of its face. She tensed a bit in case it was going to attack. She was definitely not expecting it to speak. “You are a long way from home, pony.”

She gasped. “You speak Equestrian!? Oh thank Celestia! I know! I fell down a waterfall and fought lizards and worms and I really, really just want to get back to my friends!”

The spider clicked its mandibles together in what Lyra suspected was a laugh. “Alright, calm down pony. Let’s get you to the web. Queen Neela will want to speak with you.”

“Is it closer to the surface?”

He nodded as his small group began to lead her through the tunnels. “It’s a rather short walk from the surface. The Queen relocated the family so her sister could have easier access to her family.”

“Her family. You mean Tak and Trixie right? I guess that makes sense, Trixie probably wouldn’t want to live underground.”

“Yes, Lady Trixie is… loud about what she does and does not like. The Queen enjoys her company however, so she visits often.” He was eyeing Lyra curiously. “You have come all this way from the falls unharmed? You must be formidable.”

“Nah. It was luck mostly. Luck, and the nice myconid guy.”

“Ah, the mushrooms. Bizarre creatures. Then again, I think ponies are bizarre too.”

“Well I think spiders are bizarre.” Lyra’s grin was friendly however, and she had the feeling the spider was returning it. She found it a little odd that she was feeling safe in the company of humming mushrooms and giant talking spiders, yet here she was. She’d certainly come a long way from the lazy lyre player hanging about in Ponyville.

The spiders were popping up more and more frequently as they drew closer to their home tunnels. Her guide lead her into a large chamber where there sat a female version of the creature like Prince Spinner. She was a bit bigger than her brother, hair longer and her torso slimmer. She regarded the approaching pair curiously. “And what is this, Kasson? A pony? An envoy from their Princess?”

“No, my Queen. This pony was lost near the myconid tunnels. She made her way here trying to find her way back to the surface.”

The Queen looked surprised. “You made it here on your own? You are a very lucky pony.”

Lyra smiled. “Yes your majesty, I am.”

“I am sure you are eager to return to the surface. Allow me to show you the way. You can regale me with your story.” She picked her way down from the massive web she was crouching in, landing lightly on the ground, making not a sound despite her huge size.

Lyra shook her head. “Oh no, I couldn’t put you out like that! I can find my own way from here if uh… Kasson was right and it’s not far.”

The Queen smiled. “It is not far at all, but I do enjoy the company of ponies very much. Would you indulge me?”

Looking a bit unsure, Lyra nodded. “W— well I suppose so your majesty, if you’d really like to.”
“I really would. Kasson, you may accompany us, as I am no doubt sure my going alone would give brother a heart attack. Come along.”

The scarred spider fell in behind his Queen as she led Lyra through her tunnels. “I am called Neela, and you?”

“Oh uh, Lyra ma’am. Lyra Heartstrings.”

“Lyra Heartstrings. A curious name. You are a warrior? You wear your blade with confidence.”

Lyra blinked back at the sword on her flank. “Oh uh… kinda? I only just got my sword. I’m a musician really. A bard I guess you’d say.”

The Queen’s eyes lit up. “A musician? Did you hear that, Kasson?”

He seemed to roll his eyes. “Yes highness, I heard.”

She was smiling grandly now. “I am so very fond of music. We did not have any until Trixie came to us. She is so very… alive. Her music and performing are always exciting. Would you play for me?”

Lyra raised an eyebrow, looking about the dank spider infested tunnels, then up at probably the strangest audience she’d ever had. “W— well uh, sure, I guess one song couldn’t hurt.” Kasson didn’t look quite as excited as his Queen, but his expression changed as Lyra drew out her lyre.

Settling comfortably, Lyra began to pluck the strings; slowly at first, then with more speed. Playing Bon-bon's song. Not to lure a giant monster over a cliff this time, but to perhaps bring some music and joy to somepony (someone? Something? Lyra wasn’t sure how to think of the spiders) who had very little of it in her life.

By the time she finished, the Queen looked teary eyed, and even the battle hardened Kasson was looking away discreetly. “Lyra, that was… that was the most amazing thing I have ever heard. You must play more!”

Lyra offered a wan smile. “Ordinarily nothing would make me happier, but I’m sort of eager to find my friends. War going on and all.”

This seemed to sober the Queen hastily. “I… yes of course, forgive me. I have in fact dispatched Spinner and our finest warriors to aid in the retaking of your Crystal Empire. They should be moving to their destination even now.”

Lyra’s smile faded. “So they’re heading to the Empire already? I’ve got a lot of ground to cover. Are we almost out?”

Nodding, the Queen took the lead at a swifter pace, sensing Lyra’s urgent desire to be out of the tunnels. She lead her increasingly upward, and Lyra felt possibly the greatest thing she’d ever felt in her life. Fresh air blowing through her mane. Grinning like a schoolfilly, she galloped ahead. There at the far end of the tunnel she could see a pinprick of daylight.

“Thank you! Thank you both! I’ll be sure to come back and play all you like when Equestria is safe again, your highness.” Lyra dipped into a low bow.

A bow the Queen returned, to her embarrassment. “Very well, Lyra Heartstrings, I will hold you to your promise. Go now and aid your friends. I wish you well.”

With one final nod to them both, Lyra took off down the tunnel. Galloping full tilt, she burst free into the bright sunlight with an elated shout. “Hello sun! Hello snow! …snow? Gah, it’s freezing!”

Lyra was in the mountains, apparently in the middle of winter. Which was weird, since it was spring not too long ago. Was she down there for that long? That was impossible. It must just be a really cold region.

Shivering, she encased herself in a bubble of magic, almost immediately feeling warmer. “There we go. Now let’s see where you are…”

Focusing on Jennifer, her horn pointed her unerringly to the northeast. “Right then! Lyra the Knight is on her way!”

Author's Note:

Everyone knows falling off a cliff to your death means the faller didn't REALLY die!