• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,068 Views, 238 Comments

Galaxia's Equestria - pchn00



Queen Galaxia has returned and remade Equestria in her image. The ponies need a hero! They need...Discord? The reformed draconequus must collect the Elements of Harmony with the help of his young niece in order to return a fallen friend.

  • ...
9
 238
 2,068

Chapter 7: To The Moon

Chapter 7: To The Moon

Lyra shook her head trying to clear the haze and sort the conflicting sets of memories as Discord’s spell freed her from the queen’s. Having Fancy Pants nearby was helping; somepony familiar was a great relief.

“Just give it a few moments Lyra. You’ll feel better in a flash. It knocked me off my hooves as well.” The stallion smiled warmly to his recovering friend.

Scowling Lyra rubbed at her temples with her hooves. “Ugh I can’t believe I got duped like that!” Her expression turned thoughtful. “Though evil-Lyra was pretty cool I guess.”

With a chuckle Fancy Pants offered her some water. “You weren’t EVIL Lyra, just different. You still did plenty of good.”

Emptying the glass in a few quick chugs Lyra set it aside. “Well I need some way to differentiate between real me and other me. Evil Lyra sounds cooler. You know you have a filly on your back?”

Fancy swung around to give Lyra a clearer view of Jubilant. “Lyra Heartstrings, meet Jubilant Surprise Pie.”

Lyra’s eyes popped wide open. “Whaaaat?! Did she and Echo have a filly or what?”

Jubilant blinked. “Who and Echo?”

Discord hustled Fancy and Jubilant away as he lead Lyra down a side tunnel. “There are some things you need to be filled in on…”

***

With a giggle Jubilant watched her uncle lead the weird unicorn away. “She’s funny.”

Fancy levitated her to the cavern floor from his back. “Yes she is. She’s a very nice pony, I’m sure you two will become fast friends.”

The second her hooves hit the floor she was off like a rocket toward the first side tunnel that caught her eye. With a little yelp she was halted by Fancy’s magic. “Jubilant what is Rarity’s rule number one?”

Ears drooping she huffed. “Always stay beside you. But I wanna talk to one of the big spiders!”

“I don’t think many of them speak Equestria I’m afraid. And we shouldn’t go wandering; I’m told these tunnels go on for miles in all directions. It would be a simple thing to get lost.”

Snorting gently Jubilant trotted back to his side. “I never get lost.”

Brow raised he regarded her fully now. “Oh?”

“Nope! It’s one of my favorite spells! Whenever I’m lookin’ for something my horn points me in the right direction.”

“Handy talent. Though one I don’t possess so we’re stuck here in these chambers. Why don’t you get your sketchpad hm?” He kept a close eye on her as she made her way to the chamber they’d slept in the night before. It wasn’t far and there were no turns along the way so he felt no reason not to allow her a little independence.

“…look ridiculous. I’m not kissing you like that.”

Jubilant’s ear twitched in the direction of one of the chambers she was passing. Curious she poked her head in to see two mares arguing. One was a pegasus, the other was…a unicorn maybe? She was wearing really cool looking black spidery armor but Jubilant was pretty sure that was a horn on her head.

The unicorn was glaring hotly at the pegasus, who seemed indifferent toward her dirty looks. “Oh c’mon I’m a knockout! Y’know y’want me.” She abruptly tackled the unicorn showering her in nuzzles and kisses.

Her victim snorted and squirmed beneath her attentions finally letting out a loud huff and returning the winged ponies affections with a long kiss. Jubilant couldn’t suppress a giggle at their silly antics, and both mares’ heads whipped around at the sound.

“…why is there a pony hatchling in the tunnels?” The unicorn was asking the pegasus.

Jubilant wrinkled her nose in confusion. “Hatchling?”

With a grin the pegasus flapped her wings, using her friend’s stomach as a spring board she lightly glided to land before the amused filly. “YOU must be Jubilant Surprise.”

Feeling inordinately pleased at having her (in her opinion well-deserved) fame preceding her she gave a happy nod. “Yup! Who’re you?”

“I’m Tak. This’ Umbra.” The pegasus, Tak introduced herself and her companion.

Umbra was approaching now staring at the filly curiously. “This is truly her? She is very…small and unimpressive.”

“Yeah well Tak’s a weird name and you talk like a weirdo so now everypony gets to feel bad.” With a little sniff Jubilant turned on her hooves and stalked out.

Shooting her mate a glare Tak darted after the departing filly. “Hey kid hold up! She didn’t mean t’be mean she’s just…eh…honest. She don’t stop t’think about what she’s sayin’ might hurt somepony’s feelin’s is all.”

Jubilant slowed her pace allowing the pegasus to catch up. “Oh. Sorry I said you had a weird name. …what does Tak even mean?”

Tak shrugged. “Nothin’. My full name is Tak’thiss.”

“That’s even WEIRDER.”

“Well it’s not a pony name.”

Now she had Jubilant’s interest. “What kinda name is it?” They had reached the chamber with her saddlebags but now she was more interested in Tak than her sketchbook.

Eyes shifting back and forth Tak crept closer. “Can y’keep a secret kid?”

Nodding eagerly Jubilant watched as strange green flames licked around Tak’s hooves, before abruptly consuming her. The little filly shrieked in alarm before she realized the mare was unharmed. Even if she was definitely not a mare anymore.

Standing nearly twice the height of an ordinary pony the creature before her only superficially resembled one. He had four legs that ended in hooves, but they were full of holes. He had no fur, just a shiny shell like a bug. Large red eyes blinked down at her and she gulped noting the sharp fangs in his mouth. A long jagged horn rose from his head, while a pair of insectoid wings folded against his back. He still had what looked like a mane but it was wispy and slicked back. “It’s a changeling name.”

“Oooo! Mom told me stories about you! …wait are you gonna stick me in a cocoon and suck out all my love?!”

The changeling winced only slightly. “No little filly, I’m not going to cocoon you and suck out all your love. Have to wait at LEAST a few more years for you to get nice and ripe.”

Despite his fearsome appearance Jubilant giggled at what was obviously a joke. “So changelings don’t do that?”

He shrugged and took a seat on the floor. “Some do, some don’t. We don’t just eat love but any strong emotion. They all have different flavors like fruit.”

“Neat! Does it hurt the ponies you eat stuff from?”

“Nah. I mean it CAN if we take too much but only stupid hatchlings take too much. A pony’s no good if we kill them you know? Plus it’s uh, wrong to kill. You shouldn’t do that.” He hastily corrected himself.

Jubilant shot him a ‘duh’ look, then brightened. “Hey! Hold still!”

Curious but happy to humor her Tak did as she asked. He didn’t have to wait long for his curiosity to be slaked, as the fished her sketchbook from her oversized knapsack and went to work sketching him out.

“A portrait huh? Better get my good side. I’m a prince you know?”

She didn’t say anything but the look of incredulity on her face was enough to say she didn’t believe THAT. “So were you the one who got the element of loyalty with Miss Lyra?”

“Sure was. That makes all six right?”

“Mmhm! Uncle D says we’re almost ready. We just gotta wait for a couple more ponies to get here.”

Tak stared at her quietly. He and his mare’s had been informed about Jubilant’s true nature and Discord’s plan to bring Jennifer back to life through her, but he wondered just how much she knew about it all. “Any idea what he wants them for?”

“Uncle D says it’s to make the world a happy place again.”

He wasn’t sure how he felt about keeping the filly in the dark but in the end it wasn’t his call to make. “Well that sounds pretty good to me.”

“Me too!”

Tak glanced to the entryway as Umbra approached silently, the much louder Fancy Pants at her side. Jubilant took note of none of it however, focused on her sketch of the changeling. Finally she held it out smiling proudly. “Done!”

“Huh. I was gonna say it’s good just to be nice but this is really good kid. You just might have a cutie mark worthy talent in there.”

“Really?! Mom says the same thing but it hasn’t shown up yet.” She gave a little huff.

“Hey don’t feel bad. Umbra here doesn’t have hers yet either.”

Now the filly (and Fancy Pants for that matter) regarded the obviously full grown mare curiously. She was large for a pony mare, nearly the tall changeling’s size which made her a little taller than Fancy Pants himself. She returned Jubilant’s curious gaze steadfastly. “He is correct. I do not have my…cutie mark.” She said the last with a touch of disdain.

Disbelieving Jubilant rushed to the mare’s side fussing with the armor over her haunches. Umbra balked at the probing hooves but Jubilant managed to get a view of a very blank flank. “How d’you not have a cutie mark?! You’re a grown up!”

Readjusting her armor with a small glare Umbra looked away before any could see her blush of embarrassment. “I simply do not. Where I am from no…pony does so I assume I will not get one.”

“Arent’cha worried you’ll never know what your special talent is?”

Now Umbra returned her attention fully to Jubilant Surprise. “Do you truly believe the lack of a picture on your rear end makes you talentless? Is your art no less beautiful because a picture of a pencil does not adorn you? One does not need a brand on their flank to tell them what they should do with their lives. As a wise pony once told me, follow your heart. The rest will make sense in time.”

“Well said Madame. Now I believe I should get Jubilant outside. We have to contact my wife and I’d rather not explain why we’re sitting in a cave.” Fancy offered Umbra and Tak a faint smile before levitating the filly to his back and trotting off.

“I like them. They’re weird, but nice.”

“They certainly are strange I won’t disagree with you there. But I think those are the kinds of ponies that make life exciting hm? It would be rather boring if we were all the same. Being different from somepony just means you have new things to learn once you become friends.”

Jubilant grinned. “You’re weird too Mister Fancy Pants.”

“Well Jubilant Surprise, you’re a little weird yourself.” The two shared a laugh as Fancy navigated his way out of the caverns. No sooner had the pair of earth ponies watching the more mundane entrance moved the rocks aside for their passage than a heavily burdened Echo landed nearby, a large squirm sack over her back.

“Hey Fancy! Mind givin’ me a hand?”

Jubilant hopped off his back watching curiously as he approached, levitating the sack from the night pony’s back. “What exactly do you have here Echo?”

“Just somethin’ D asked me to pick up in Canterlot before I came out here. Been flyin’ all night and I could use a drink.”

Fancy eyed the sack dubiously giving it a prod, then jumping back as it yelped. “…Echo is there a pony in this bag?”

“Yeah. Just toss her in the caves for me wouldja? I’ll take it from there.” She spared the watching Jubilant a glance. “Heya kid, how ya doin’?”

“Oh! Um, I’m fine Echo. It’s nice to see you again. Who’s in the bag?”

“Eh some mare from Canterlot. Unicorn so it was kinda a hassle but she stinks with magic so it wasn’t too bad.” This drew a muffled ‘hey!’ from the sack. Both Fancy Pants AND Jubilant recognized the voice. Frowning toward the unconcerned Echo, Fancy undid the tie on the bag dumping out a bedraggled Dinky Doo.

“H-help! She foalnapped me! Right out of the market! I’m a citizen of Canterlot and I…L-lord Fancy Pants? Jubilant Surprise? What are you doing here?!” She looked around frantically. “Where IS here?”

With a reproachful look toward Echo, Fancy helped Dinky to her hooves. “Outside of Appleloosa Miss Doo. I’ve no idea why you were brought here I’m afraid.”

“A-Appleloosa? We FLEW all the way to Appleloosa? In ONE night?!”

Echo shrugged. “Night ponies are fast and strong. What can I say? I’m amazing.”

“Th-there’s no such thing as a night pony! They’re old mare’s tales!”

The very real night pony mare nodded. “Yeah you’re right. I’m a figment of your imagination. Now get your flank in the cave before this figment gives you another knock on the head. I’m in kinda a hurry.”

Dinky looked to Fancy Pants for support, but her heart sank as he looked away uncomfortably. “You’d best listen to her Miss Doo. Not to worry though, I assure you no harm will come to you. Well…no MORE harm. No doubt everything will be clear very soon.”

Ears splayed she looked from Echo, to Fancy, to a now angrily glaring Jubilant before sighing. She really wasn’t very good with magic and she definitely couldn’t overpower the tough night pony. “F-fine I’ll go.”

Perkily, Echo gave her a shove toward the caves. “Well good! And it really IS great to see you again Fancy. Pretty soon we’ll all be back together!”

Fancy gave her a smile and a nod, a smile that swiftly faded as he turned to regard Jubilant. “Well let’s give Rarity a call hm?”

With a snort she planted her rump by him. “Fine. Long as I don’t have to see HER.”

Chuckling softly Fancy Pants levitated a rather expensive enchanted mirror from his bag, using the sending spell to connect it to Rarity’s. The pair didn’t have to wait long for the mare to appear. “It’s about time! I was getting so worried! How is Jubilant? Is she alright?”

“Yes dear Jubilant is right here. I’m fine too of course.”

Heaving a soft sigh Rarity offered her husband a smile. “I’m sorry Fancy Pants, I’m happy to see you of course. The house feels so big and empty with you two gone.”

Jubilant peeked into the mirror over Fancy’s shoulder. “Hi Miss Rarity!”

“Hello Jubilant! Having fun I hope?”

“Mmhm! I’m making all sorts of weird new friends!”

Rarity raised a brow looked to her husband. “What sorts of new friends? And where is D for that matter?”

“Oh just some foals in town. Nothing to be worried about. They all have rather thick accents so she found it a bit odd is all.”

“Oh of course. Well it’s good to hear from you. I should go though I’m at the shop. You two have fun! And we’ll speak tomorrow.”

“Goodbye dear. I love you.”

“Bye Miss Rarity! Love you too!”

Rarity’s mouth opened wordlessly for a moment, eyes watering up at Jubilant’s proclamation. “…I love you both very much. I can’t wait for you to come home. Until then I’ll just have to occupy myself with work.”

She ended the sending on her end and Fancy tucked the mirror away. “That meant a lot to Rarity, what you said Jubilant.”

“Think so?”

“I know so. Come along let’s go back inside. We’re not supposed to be out too much.”

***

Jubilant saw that mean Dinky Doo talking with a funny eyed pegasus mare later. They were both crying and smiling and hugging a lot. So much so the filly was finding it hard to keep the hate alive for the unicorn mare.

She looked up at her uncle as he stepped beside her. “Nice to see hm? Families back together. That’s why we’re doing all this Surprise. For ponies like Dinky and Ditzy. You and your mother.”

The filly sat quietly watching the joyful reunion. Despite her continued dislike of Dinky Doo it was a little nice seeing a mom and daughter reunited. She was frowning thoughtfully. “Someone took Miss Dinky from her mom too, huh?”

“They did. But pretty soon no everypony will be back with their family where they belong. We’re so close now Surprise. We just need to find one more pony to use the elements of harmony.”

Watching the happy pair of mares for another few moments Jubilant finally stood and followed her uncle. She spied that pretty princess Cadenza watching her from the big table she made all her important plans on. With a smile Jubilant offered her a wave, one that the princess returned with a forced smile of her own.

Happily bounding at her uncle’s side now Jubilant playfully bumped against his flank. “Who all is gonna use em Uncle D?”

“Well there’s Fancy Pants, Echo, Lyra, Dinky…” He sighed as she made a face. “…YOU get your mom’s.” This brightened her quite a bit. “And the last one…”

They stepped outside. It was night time now and the moon hung huge and beautiful in the sky. “The last one is right up there.”

Perplexed the filly followed her uncles pointing hoof. “…in the sky?”

“On the moon.”

Her eyes popped open at that. “The mare in the moon?! She’s the sixth pony?!”

“That’s right. She’s a very special pony and she’s been waiting a long time for us to go get her.”

Jubilant had started bouncing circles around Discord by that point. “Well let’s go! How do we get there?!”

“You blink of course.”

She faltered in her bouncing and skidded to a stop. “…I can’t blink that far! It’s…it’s like…the moon!”

“Oh. Well if you can’t do it, maybe I’ll find some other filly to use the element of laughter and go visit the mare in the moon…”

Jubilant Surprise grit her teeth shooting her uncle a glare. “F-fine! I’ll show you!”

Gently the stallion laid a hoof on her shoulder. “Take your time Surprise. Reach out toward the moon like you want to levitate it first. Take it nice and slow, there’s no hurry.”

Hearing the abnormal seriousness in his voice Jubilant took a deep breath in and out, reaching in and drawing out her magic. Her horn began to shine brightly as she cast her gaze up at the moon. Attempting to perform the enormous feat of magic forced her to draw on the chaotic magic of Discord slumbering deep within her normal mana reserves. The verdant green aura around her horn shifted to the swirling chaotic mess of energy Discord wielded.

“Can you feel it Surprise? Just touch the moon.”

The little filly was sweating, but she was determined. “I…I think so Uncle D…”

Jubilant didn’t notice the Princess step out of the caves to watch. “Now…pretend there’s a…fishing line between your horn and the moon. You remember fishing with Aunt Fluttershy to catch lunch for some of her animal friend’s right?”

Cadence sucked in her breath swiftly as a razor thin line of magic became visible from Jubilant’s horn and leading out of sight toward the moon. “That’s my girl. Now do you feel her up there? Waiting for you?”

Her breath was coming in quick gasps as she forced herself to feel about for some kind of living presence on the moon. “I…I think I feel her!”

“Well what are you waiting for silly filly? Go surprise her!”

This was much more in Jubilant’s realm of expertise. Her pained expression abruptly switched to a smile…as she vanished with a soft pop.

Slowly Cadence approached Discord as he stared silently up at the moon. “That’s impossible. Nopony can teleport that far except me or my aunt’s.”

“Don’t forget who she’s a part of princess. She might not have all of her mana but close to it. Plus the half of my power she was holding onto is a part of Jubilant’s for now too. She has enough magical oomph to get up there; the problem is getting the mare in the moon down HERE.”

Cadence frowned gently. “The queen will almost certainly notice if she up and disappears. I hope you have an idea?”

“I do. I just need Jubilant to get through the queen’s traps to where the mare is waiting. Then I can follow along.”

“So you’re using her as what? Bait?”

“Of course not. Despite what you might think of me I do care for that filly a good deal. Jubilant and the other one. The queen has both sisters’ prisons warded against intrusion by any stallion or mare who tries to approach.”

Cadence blinked. “But not against any filly or colt because one would never be able to reach it!”

With a nod and a smile Discord looked back to the moon. “Once she gets to her chambers I’ll be able to follow, you as well if you like.”

Sighing she turned back to the caves. “I’d love to but no, I have things to do here. And it’d crush the resistance on the off chance something happened to me. I…well…I trust you D. Bring her home. Bring them both home.”

Removing his hat he held it over his heart looking to Cadence with an earnestness that surprised her. “I promise, everypony will be home soon. Equestria will be the bright land it was meant to be again. You have my word.”

Recalling a bit of his story from Aunt Celestia she grinned. “Your oath as a knight?”

Chuckling softly he replaced the hat on his head. “I don’t think I’ve been one of those in a few centuries. But if it makes you feel better, I do.”

“It does. I’ll leave this in your capable hooves D.”

He watched her go with a quiet smile, turning his gaze to the eastern horizon. “She’s a little you, you know? I hope you’re watching…I hope you’re proud of her.” He sighed a bit looking back to the moon. “And of me.”

***

Jubilant looked wide eyed at the massive pair of doors before her nose. They were massive, towering higher than the clock tower in Ponyville she imagined. Beautiful pictures of a tall pony like Princess Cadenza carved in bas relief covered every inch of the smooth stone.

She slowly paced along the bottom of the door looking over the pictures. She saw three things…humans, like the queen. Though they only had horns, no wings. They looked like they were falling from the sky in the first picture. The next had the eldest of the three split from the younger two. After that the two humans met a winged and horned pony. The next few pictures were the pony and humans getting into trouble of varying degrees, the pony fiercely protecting the two humans.

Eventually the pictures got too high for Jubilant to see and she huffed. It was kinda a neat picture story. Eyeing the doors dubiously she opted to simply blink to the other side. Vanishing with a soft pop she reappeared on a smooth stone floor. She was in what must be a castle of some kind. Everything was really pretty carved of a dark blue stone of some kind. Silver pillars held up the ceilings here and there.

While pretty it also felt very…lonely. Shivering slightly Jubilant picked up her pace a bit to a slight trot. “Hello? Mare in the moon?”

Nopony answered her calls and she sighed, trotting through hall after hall. She was at it for a while before she clopped a hoof against her forehead. “Dummy.” She used her Find It spell and was soon trotting confidently through the lunar palace.

The pull from her horn was getting stronger and stronger, leading her up a seemingly endless flight of stairs. She finally came to another large set of doors, though these were bare. Just as she was about to blink to the other side, a warm blue aura enveloped them and they swung inward. “Welcome to the Lunar Palace Jubilant Surprise. It is a pleasure and an honor to greet you in the flesh at last.”

The voice sounded very warm and kind. Carefully Jubilant stepped into the room. Regarding her with a kind smile was the most beautiful pony she had ever seen. Taller even than the big Princess Cadenza, her mane and tail flowed like they were underwater, the blue dotted with dozens of twinkling lights like stars. Her horn and wings were larger than any she’d ever seen on anypony back home. “H-hello ma’am.”

“Do not be nervous my little pony. You have come a very long way to see me after all. How about a cup of tea hm? It is the least I can do.”

“T-tea? Um…ok…” She wasn’t the biggest fan of the drink but Aunt Fluttershy loved it and she had a cup whenever she’d visit.

“Wonderful. It has been quite some time since I have been able to share tea with a friend. You may call me Luna, Jubilant. Or do you prefer Surprise?” She smiled playfully and the filly was feeling more at ease all the time.

“Um…either one Miss Luna.”

“So very polite. Your mother has raised you well.” She moved to a small kitchenette through an archway preparing the tea. “Is your uncle going to be joining us?”

“I dunno. He didn’t say so…just that I had to come getcha.”

Brow raised, Luna turned to regard Jubilant. “Get me? I am afraid I cannot leave Jubilant.”

Tilting her head in confusion Jubilant frowned. “Why not?”

“My mother, Queen Galaxia has placed spells on my prison. If I attempt to leave she will know and arrive to stop me. Ponies with as much magic as I cannot move about easily without being noticed when somepony is keeping watch for them.”

“But…but you HAVE to come back! You’re one of the elements of harmony!”

The princess shook her head sadly. “Your uncle will have to find a different sixth to bear the element of magic. I cannot.”

“I can’t and you know it Luna. It has to be you.”

Both ponies turned to find Discord stepping smoothly into the room. “Discord. You decided to come after all. You know very well why I cannot leave.”

Jubilant’s ears perked. It was the first time she’d heard what the ‘D’ stood for in her uncle’s name. “The elements won’t work for just any six ponies who throw them on. They have to be connected. You’re the sixth, it has to be you.”

The filly’s head was swiveling from her uncle to the princess as each spoke. “You certainly had a bond with her, and possess enough magic to wield the element I am sure.”

Discord rolled his eyes. “Don’t be dense, you know I can’t even touch the elements let alone use one. Not after the spell your sister put on them.”

“I…well then bring the other elements to me. We will wield them here.”

“I’m not an expert on her magic but I’m pretty sure she’ll notice if the most powerful magical artifacts in the world suddenly appeared on the moon. You have to come.”

“Discord that is enough. If I could come do you truly think I would not have left already? It is simply impossible. Mother would feel it in a heartbeat if another alicorn suddenly appeared on Equestria.”

“Your mother can’t hear us here can she? You’re using our names pretty casually.”

Luna shook her head pouring the tea. “She cannot. She has to physically be on the sun or the moon to feel us. Celestia and I are strongest here.”

“And she would only notice if you appeared on Equestria? Not if you disappeared from the moon?”

The princess levitated tea cups to the filly and stallion. “I suppose not. But her spells prevent me from leaving.”

Discord ignored the tea while Jubilant sipped at hers, listening silently. “But they wouldn’t stop ordinary unicorns like myself or Surprise from going.”

“No they would not. They are designed specifically to entrap en alicorn here.”

Luna was beginning to shift uncomfortably under the firm stare Discord leveled her way. “You once asked Jennifer what she would sacrifice to save her friends. What would YOU sacrifice to save Equestria?”

Slowly the princess looked from Discord to Jubilant, than out the window at Equestria, so far away. Her shoulders squared and she turned to face the stallion. “Everything.”

***

Shining Armor frowned as he regarded the map of the Crystal Empire. “It could work. We come up right under the palace and move for the king before he knows what hit him. But our intelligence says the highest concentration of his crystal golems are in and around the palace. That’s going to be some fight.”

With a scoff Umbra flicked her tail. “My siblings and I will be more than enough to handle some mindless crystalline ponies. We will utterly crush the golems and return the empire to its rightful rulers.”

Cadence pointed toward the far end of the map. “The king isn’t what concerns me. The crystal ponies he has toiling in his mines are. If we attack there’s a good chance he’ll have his golems kill the miners out of spite. We would need to strike simultaneously at both positions.”

“We don’t have the ponies for that. We can manage one or the other.”

Silence descended on the room as it seemed they’d hit a wall. “Well! Sounds like as good a time as any to arrive and save the day.”

The three leaders whirled at Discord’s voice, new hope in their eyes. “Did you bring the princess?”

“He did. For the most part.” A unicorn mare followed Discord into the chamber. Her coat a deep night blue, while her mane and tail were a much brighter blue color. She was no bigger than the average mare…and most certainly had no wings.

Shining Armor approached disbelievingly. “Princess…is that you?”

“It is, though it is still not save to use my name and I would rather not go by ‘L’. Moon Dancer will suffice until this mess is dealt with.” She had a cutie mark of a full moon beaming three shining shafts of light from itself.

“Aunt…Moon Dancer…” Cadence stepped next to her husband. “You’re a unicorn? You gave up being a princess?”

“It was the only way for me to leave the moon undetected. Mother never visited me, only my sister. She will likely not notice I have escaped for some time. It was a necessary sacrifice I made happily for Equestria.”

“Will you still be able to wield the element of magic?”

“I will. Ordinary ponies have had no difficulty using them in the past. Now will be no different.”

Umbra was staring hard at Luna and the unicorn the strange mare’s gaze and offered a faint smile. “It is good to see you Umbra.”

“…you as well…Moon Dancer. We will have to speak more soon.”

Despite the gravity of Luna’s sacrifice Cadence was soon smiling. “So that’s it then? We’re ready for the spell? We have the six elements now. The amulet, the chaos magic and the spark of hope. Where’s the sword?”

Now Discord shifted uncomfortably. “Well…that’s the tricky part. See when I went back for it, it had ah…disappeared.”

All eyes were on him now. “You do not have Mercy? How could you misplace her blade? We cannot resurrect her without it!”

“Well exCUSE me for being a little busy travelling to limbo and plucking a piece of her soul, forging it into a filly and bringing it into the world! Then going from place to place all over the world trying to piece together HOW to cast the resurrection in the first place. Not even you or your precious sister knew how to do that little bit of magic did you?!”

Luna stepped back at the animosity in his tone, but Umbra leapt to her defense. “Do not raise your voice to her trickster, or I will remind you of your place.”

The shouting was drawing attention from the other chambers. Fancy Pants and Echo arrived first taking in the scene of so many powerful…and angry ponies.

Shining Armor was standing defensively in front of the princess, who was looking more and more dismayed at the growing shouting match. “Everypony please! Please let’s calm down!”

Discord was standing nose to nose with the angry Umbra. “Don’t you threaten me you half-baked excuse of a princess. Princess of the big creepy spiders, now THAT’S a title to be proud of!”

A gout of green flame heralded the arrival of Tak at his mate’s side. “Watch your mouth horn head, or you’ll answer to me. Nopony talks to her like that! It’s not her fault this hare brained scheme of yours is falling apart! What kind of stupid idea was it to pin all your hopes on ONE filly!?”

“It wasn’t even MY idea! HE’S the only who told me she was so important!” Discord thrust a hoof at the approaching Doctor, Dinky and Ditzy at his side.

“That is enough!” With a resounding crack Cadence slammed a forehoof into the cavern floor hard enough to send cracks splitting across the stone. “You’re all acting like a bunch of school foals looking to get into a brawl after class! I trust the doctor implicitly, as well as D. If they believe bringing her back is important to Equestria than I believe it is. If anypony has a problem with that, they are free to go. D you’ve done an excellent job so far, and I’m sure you can find the sword to finish the spell.”

Everypony seemed to relax slightly at her words. Fancy Pants approached slowly. “I’m not entirely sure that’s fair to Jubilant Surprise.”

Cadence held a hoof up toward Discord before he could say anything. “How so Fancy Pants?”

The stallion approached the group more confidently. “Who are we to decide her fate so callously? She’s a living breathing filly, not just some soulless golem like the one’s employed in the empire. Is it fair of us to say she’s to just…cease to exist so our friend can return?”

Echo was a dark blur as she flew from the chamber to get nose to nose with the stallion. “What is WRONG with you?! Are you really suggesting we just ignore that we can bring her back! After everything she did for Equestria?!”

Bristling a bit but not one to back down from a confrontation Fancy Pants nevertheless took a step back. “Of course not. But we should give strong consideration to our actions.”

Now Dinky Doo added her own voice. “He’s right. I…I miss her too but Jubilant IS her own pony. They’re very similar but I can’t help but wonder if it’s what she would want too? To just…take Jubilant’s place.”

With a snort Discord finally spoke. “It’s not like that at all. I didn’t just…steal some of her material and mix it with Pinkie’s to make a daughter. Jubilant is a fraction of her soul. Nothing more, nothing less. And she’s not just going to get erased. The spell will combine the two, all of Jubilant and her memories and experiences will combine into one whole.”

Umbra nodded firmly. “It could not be clearer. The filly is not even a real pony, merely a piece of the deceased girl. If Princess Cadenza is set on this course of action it is not our place to question her. We will cast the spell and return the girl to life.”

All eyes turned to yet another newcomer. Trixie entered the chamber clearing her throat firmly. Tak offered a wan smile. “It’s good to see you Trix but now’s kinda a bad time. You can tell us about your new study session in a bit.”

She didn’t speak, she simply pointed beyond them to the opposite tunnel entrance. Now they turned to see a wide eyed Jubilant Surprise staring at the group in horror. “Is…is that true? I’m…not a real pony?”

A long moment of silence hung in the chamber as the filly looked from face to face, waiting for an answer. A long enough moment the filly decided she didn’t want to wait any longer. Without a sound her horn flared and she blinked away.

“Shame on you. Shame on you all.” Trixie walked toward the group, she didn’t look angry…just disappointed. “I thought this whole plan was ridiculous from the start. Resurrecting the girl is one thing, but not telling the filly of her role in all this was a mistake. If you had taken the time to explain the situation to her she would no doubt be more open to the idea. Instead you what? Drop her in a room alone and expect her to stay put? Now look what’s happened.”

Both Tak and Umbra began to move toward the unicorn but she lifted a hoof stopping them. “I don’t want to speak to EITHER of you right now. I’m going to find the filly.” She eyed Fancy Pants and Dinky Doo. “You two can come along. Gather close.”

Both stallion and mare joined Trixie as her horn began to flare with brilliant pink energy. “The rest of you had better figure out what you want to tell her when we get back.” She turned a sad look to her sister-in-law. “I expected better of you Umbra. I Thought you’d come so far but…you’re just as cold and unfeeling as the day we first met.”

With a flare she and the two unicorns disappeared…leaving the other ponies in the room to quietly contemplate how everything had gone so wrong so fast.

Author's Note:

To the mooooooon!