• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,067 Views, 238 Comments

Galaxia's Equestria - pchn00



Queen Galaxia has returned and remade Equestria in her image. The ponies need a hero! They need...Discord? The reformed draconequus must collect the Elements of Harmony with the help of his young niece in order to return a fallen friend.

  • ...
9
 238
 2,067

Chapter 3: Plucking Her Heartstrings

Chapter 3: Plucking Her Heartstrings

Jubilant blinked back into her room with the element of generosity in tow, presenting it proudly. “Easy peasy!”

With a smile, Discord held the case out for her to place it in, careful not to touch it himself. “Anywhere you like, Surprise.”

The filly slowly lowered the second necklace in, across from the first. “So where are the rest?”

“Well! Your Aunt Fluttershy has one, of course. Then Miss Applejack another, though I believe she must have taken it with her when she left Ponyville. Private Rainbow Dash, whom I believe you’ve met, holds the fifth.”

Jubilant wrinkled her nose at the mention of the pegasus soldier. “I know her.”

“She does leave a lingering impression. The last is a bit trickier. But I think you’re just the filly to get it.”

Lyra bowed, smiling gently as quiet applause rose from the crowd of nobles. She had just finished her encore for the… she actually hadn’t bothered to figure out what the party she was playing at was for. For some stupid party. Still, these performances made her the big bits, and she enjoyed a rather comfortable lifestyle. Certainly not enough wealth to be considered an equal by those she played for, but enough she didn’t need an extra job.

She had already been paid, so she was free to move about the crowd and enjoy the end of the party. Of course, ‘enjoy’ was a bit of a stretch, but she still helped herself to plenty of the hors d'oeuvres. All this money and these ponies can’t even manage to make a decent cupcake... Smiling politely to the host of the evening, she quietly excused herself.

It was time for her real work to begin.

A simple charm to mute the sound of her hoofsteps first. Followed right away by slipping the amulet enchanted with invisibility around her neck. She allowed a little smirk as she winked out of sight. Neither was perfect, but a pony would have to actively be looking for these specific spells to see through them. As long as she kept to her target and didn’t stray—and the thought of straying into the treasury did cross her mind—she’d be fine.

The musician and sometimes spy slipped through the castle halls not making a sound. Her target was soon in sight, and she fell into step behind General Graymane. She almost whistled at the impressively muscled stallion’s physique. He was powerfully built with an immaculate black coat and a close cropped stormy gray mane. She didn’t have to wait long before he dispelled the wards on his private office and slipped inside behind him.

She had quite a bit longer a wait for him to finish doing whatever boring nonsense Generals got up to. Most likely finding new ways to attack the griffon empire or brutally crush the mounting earth pony rebellion in the west. After several agonizing hours, the general finally departed. Still, Lyra waited before moving from her spot in the corner of the room. Glancing at the clock, she felt it was safe and crept to his desk. Her magical aura came into view; the invisibility couldn’t conceal that unfortunately, as she lifted a small set of picks from a fold in her gown. Moving with meticulous slowness, she worked the lock on the top drawer, soon rewarded with a satisfying click.

The door slid open and she quickly scanned the papers within. If she just took the papers, the general would know he was robbed, and no doubt change his troop movements and attack plans. This required finesse; fortunately she was well versed in such matters. A slim folder of her own slipped from her gown while the picks were replaced. Several sheets of blank paper were soon magically filled with the various words and diagrams found in the general’s attack plans. The real ones were replaced, and the drawer locked again.

Lyra settled down to wait. She didn’t dare let herself sleep, so she filled the time running through potential new songs in her head. It was what she always did when she had free time, and now was certainly one of those times. The general didn’t return until late morning, and she wasted no time galloping from the office, slowing only once she was in the castle hallways. Moving with sure and practiced steps, the unicorn made her way from imposing Castle Canterlot and out into the city streets. With a happy little giggle, she reappeared and trotted calmly toward her home. She needed to change out of that gown… then she had a train to catch.

Rarity stood beside Jubilant, bidding her unusual Uncle D farewell. “If you’re in town again, do feel free to come by. Perhaps for supper?”

Placing the hideous purple hat that matched his suit atop his head, he smiled widely. “I just may take you up on that offer, my good mare. And I’ll see you again, Jubilant. Behave for Miss Rarity now.”

“I will, Uncle D! Have fun on your trip!”

Rarity waited until he was out of sight before closing the door. She glanced at Jubilant as the filly moved to go to her room. “Jubilant? Would you like to help me in the workroom?”

Her ears perked up at that. “Really? Not just sit and watch?”

Smiling now, Rarity nodded. “Really. After all, maybe you’ll take over my shop someday, hm? Who knows, maybe you’ll get your cutie mark in dressmaking!”

Jubilant was not a filly who often cared what others thought of her, but like all young ponies, she was desperate to receive her mark. “Really!? Let’s go!”

Laughing gently, mare and filly made their way back into Rarity’s at-home workspace. Rarity gently hefted Jubilant onto the work table to see it all clearly. “Now I know you like to draw, Jubilant, perhaps you’d sketch me an idea for a dress, hm?”

Jubilant nodded slightly. Fancy Pants had noticed her staring at the sketch artists in the park, and returned the next day bearing a small wagonload of art supplies for the filly. She had an undeniable talent at it, and Rarity secretly suspected she’d earn her mark in that field. Gingerly, Jubilant selected a pencil and stared down at the blank paper before her. “…I dunno what to draw.”

“Well. When I’m designing, I like to think of a pony I know. Anypony at all. Then try and imagine something they would enjoy wearing.”

Closing her eyes, the young pony took a deep breath, doing as Rarity suggested. When she opened them again, the pencil—still gently gripped in her magic—went to work across the page. Rarity watched with interest as lines began to take shape. Casting an eye back at the mare gazing over her shoulder, Jubilant shuffled a little to block her view of the page. With an understanding nod, Rarity went to her own work. She didn’t like others watching her work either.

Jubilant glanced up after nearly a solid hour of work. Rarity perked her ears, expecting to be called over. Instead, the filly spied some colored pencils and levitated them over to her little workspace and set about shading in her design. Now the mare’s interest was genuinely piqued. At first she’d just wanted to make Jubilant feel included, but it was clear the filly was working hard.

Finally, she sat back on her haunches, gazing at the sketch for a short time before nodding once. “I’m done!”

Rarity gasped softly as her eyes fell on the drawing. It was absolutely immaculate. A perfect vision of an earth pony in a large ball gown. The back flared around her hind quarters and shaded in a spectacular pink. Frills at the shoulders, and an adorable pillbox hat sat atop the head of who Rarity recognized as Pinkamena.

“Jubilant, how on earth did you do this?”

She smiled brightly. “I dunno! Just popped in there!” Of course her mom had told her all about the beautiful dresses they’d worn to the gala. She just rightly assumed Miss Rarity hadn’t made them in this version of the world.

“You have remarkable talent, Jubilant! This is professional quality artwork. Who in the world taught you?”

Jubilant shrugged. “Nopony, I think?”

Jennifer was scowling over the sketchpad she’d formed from the mass of limbo stuff floating about her. Most of the past Order of Harmony sat before her patiently as she kept trying and failing to form a proper sketch.

Bleeding Heart flicked her tail. “Perhaps when the filly received thy horn…”

The hornless spirit of Jennifer’s eyes widened. “Why that little thief! She stole my drawing too!?”

Jubilant perked her ear at the sound of a pebble plinking off her window. Curious, she wriggled out of bed, trotting to the balcony and peering down. “Uncle D!” Her uncle was standing in the moonlit garden below.

He made a shushing sound and held his forelegs out. Gleefully, his niece fearlessly leapt from the balcony into his waiting hooves. “Shh now, we have to be super sneaky tonight. Secret mission and all.”

Teeth shining bright white in the darkness, Jubilant nodded excitedly. “Gotcha! What’s the mission?”

Her uncle was already trotting toward the high fence around Fancy’s estate grounds. “We’re going to sneak past a dragon.”

Now she was bouncing from hoof to hoof, squirming just a bit as her uncle lifted them both over the fence. “Wow! Um… should I tell Miss Rarity?”

“Oh not to worry. You’ll be home well before she and Fancy Pants wake up! This is a special family trip.” He winked down, bringing a happy giggle from the cheery filly. “But we do have to be quiet for a little bit at least, so follow me quick and quiet as a mouse!”

Nodding and doing her best to look serious, Jubilant fell into step with her uncle, creeping from shadow to shadow and alley to alley. He halted her more than a few times when a passing patrol wandered through the streets, but they eventually stopped before a large sewer grate in the lower districts. She waited patiently while her uncle’s magic moved the grate aside, and slipped in after him. “How much further?”

“Not much m’dear, we’re very near the entrance to his lair. We’re going to recover the Element of Magic this evening. It’s the last one in the city before we have to hit the road.” They were conversing in low whispers, but he seemed more relaxed, so Jubilant was as well.

“Hm. A dragon has it?”

“Well, a dragon guards it. The Archmagister of the city actually owns it. But she can’t figure it out, so she dumped it where she dumps every other magical bit and bob she comes across.” He stopped before a seemingly blank wall, running a hoof along it. Tapping on a few stones, it slid open smoothly.

“How’d you do that!?”

Her uncle just winked. “When you’ve been around as long as I have, there aren’t many secrets left in the world.”

She tilted her head at that. “Don’t things get boring?”

Now his smile returned full force. “Oh no. Because there are always little ponies like you about to keep the world exciting.”

Jubilant beamed toothily back up at him, peering ahead into the new tunnel. “So I have to go in there? Are you coming?”

Her uncle shook his head gently. “I think it’d be best if he woke up and I wasn’t there. He’s… not a bad dragon, so don’t be afraid. Just try to be sneaky and find the Element of Magic.” With a little pop, he conjured a duplicate of the tiara. “Just like with Miss Rarity, swap this one out for the real one.”

Jubilant snapped off a smart salute as she took the tiara in her mouth. “Yff fir!” She wasted no time turning down the tunnel and moving quickly along. When her uncle was no longer in sight, she willed her horn to light up, bathing the way in a warm green glow.

It wasn’t a very long walk before the tunnel opened up into a large underground chamber. Beautiful crystals bathed the room in colorful radiance, so she young unicorn let her magic flicker and fade. She peered about cautiously for any sign of the dragon. Seeing none, she slipped down the short incline toward the mound of treasures. Gold, gems, and all manner of fancy looking treasures filled the hoard room.

Jubilant ignored it all though. She was a filly on a mission! With the fake gripped firmly in her jaws, she looked about for the real tiara. Smiling at a faint glint of purple, she raced toward what she hoped was the jewel from the tiara. She slowed as she approached. It clearly was not the gem she sought… then she gasped softly as it moved!

Stumbling back, she craned her neck upward as a huge head raised itself from the pile of coin it had been submerged in. It was so big! The head itself was twice as big as she was, and it was attached to a long neck covered in sharp green spines running along a now visible back as it heaved itself onto its claws. Huge wings opened and flexed as it gave a tremendous yawn. A rather grumpy looking set of green eyes zeroed in right on the cowering Jubilant. “… D’you have any idea what time it is!?”

She squeaked and curled up as his bellow shook the chamber. In a flash, he had lowered and turned his head to look her square in the eye. “I said… d’you know what time it is?”

Letting the tiara drop with a clatter, she opened her mouth. “N— no sir!”

“… Late! Too late for little thieves to be sneaking around my lair.” Eyes narrowing, he plucked the false tiara up in his claws. “… Where did you find this? You’re trying to steal the element of magic!?”

Eyes wide she shook her head vigorously. “No! No, w— we’re borrowing it!”

Snorting, he whirled around, lifting a heavy looking boulder. Jubilant could just barely see the real Element of Magic within. He turned back to her, replacing the boulder. “… Right. You’re going to see the Archmagister.”

Before she could even think to run she was plucked up in his other claw. She was too scared to even try and focus to blink. Uncle D said this dragon wasn’t mean, but… it was so big… and had so many sharp bits.

Say okie dokie lokie.

Jubilant’s ears perked. “… O—okie dokie… lokie?”

The dragon halted in its steps and lifted her to eye level. “… What did you just say?”

She flailed her little legs a bit in the air. “Um… Okie dokie lokie?”

His eye narrowed as he examined her closer. “… D’you know Pinkie Pie?”

Jubilant brightened immediately. “She’s my mom!”

The dragon actually gasped and dropped her. She shrieked in fear until he hastily caught her again. “S— sorry kid, I wasn’t expecting that. You’re… wow, Pinkie’s filly, huh?” He thoomed down onto his belly, holding Jubilant carefully in his claws now.

Relaxing a little, Jubilant plopped down in his hand. “Yup! She’s my mom! Though I’m living with Miss Rarity and Mister Fancy Pants now.”

“Right, ‘cause you’re a unicorn and Pinkie’s not. Wow, small world. So what’s your name, kid?”

“I’m Jubilant Surprise! You can call me Jubilant… or Surprise. Either one!”

“Heh. Makes sense she’d name you after her. I’m Spike, by the way. Nice t’meetcha.”

Jubilant looked at the huge hand she rested in curiously before gripping one claw in her forehooves and shaking. “Nice to meet you, Spike!”

The dragon chuckled and lowered her to the ground. “So uh, why’re you trying to steal the Element of Magic?”

Jubilant bit her lip, frowning a little. “Promise not to tell?”

Spike shrugged, he could humor her. “Sure.”

Pinkie promise?”

He hesitated, memories of a better time coming to him. Dragons could be pretty resistant to magic, and he had managed to shrug off Galaxia’s spell. After fruitlessly trying to convince Twilight she wasn’t some crazy Archmagister, he had relented and stayed her number one assistant. Slowly, he drew a claw across his chest and covered his eye. “Pinkie promise.”

Properly mollified, Jubilant looked to the false element. “Me and Uncle D are collecting them to save the world!”

Spike may have looked like an adult now, but it was only thanks to a spell by Twilight that he was full grown. Inside, he was the same excitable little guy he’d always been. “Really!? So your uncle has a plan to fix everything?”

Smile back in full force, Jubilant nodded. “Yep! We just need to get the elements, he says!”

“Well alright then!” Again he moved the huge boulder and swapped the false element for the real one, handing it over to the waiting filly. “Just uh… be careful with it, ok? Twilight’s gonna want it back when she’s back to normal.” He laughed suddenly. “Funny, if you hadn’t said what you did just then, I’d have taken you right to Twilight.”

Jubilant hm’d. “Well it’s just what she said to say.”

Spike raised a brow. “She?”

“The voice in my head! She tells me to do stuff sometimes!”

“… Wow. You are definitely Pinkie Pie’s kid.”

This just made her smile harder than ever. “Thanks!”

Spike carried her over to the entrance she’d emerged from. “Hey uh, Jubilant? Did you meet Rarity’s sister?”

“Mmhm! She’s really nice.”

“Oh cool, cool. Did she uh… have a coltfriend?”

Looking confused now, Jubilant shook her head. “No, I don’t think so. Why?”

“No reason… good luck! We’ll hang out some when I’m not enormous, maybe!”

Waving cheerily to the nice dragon, Jubilant scooped the Element of Magic up in her mouth and galloped back to her waiting uncle. He was right where she’d left him of course. Sighting the tiara, he summoned the case back and had her place it inside. “Excellent! I just knew you could do it!”

“It was easy! And Spike was really nice. A little scary at first, but nice.”

“Yes, he’s a good fellow. Now let’s get you home, hm? You have a big trip this weekend to Ponyville if I’m not mistaken?”

Jubilant nodded. “Uh huh! Miss Rarity’s taking me to see mom!”

“Well then I’ll see you then too, I think. We’ll meet up in Ponyville and get the next element. Now time to be sneaky, we’re almost done!”

Nodding emphatically, Jubilant went back to quietly following her uncle, casting one brief glance back at the home of her new friend and giving a silent thank you to her unseen guardian.

Lyra cantered toward the Appleloosa saloon casually. She was a unicorn in an earth pony town; all the hostile looks served as a constant reminder of that. Still hostile looks wouldn’t be enough to spur the oppressed tribe to attack a unicorn. Even the lowest of the spell casting tribe was worth a thousand earth ponies in the government’s eye, and that meant attacking one was a sure way to go the way of Dodge Junction and be completely wiped out by their Queen’s wrath.

Despite the hostility in the air, Lyra was enjoying herself. She much preferred to be on the road, playing for the public or just taking in the fresh air. The further one got from Canterlot, the less unicorn magic there was to be found, and she preferred the untainted freshness of earth pony towns. Strolling across the crowded bar’s floor, and keenly aware all eyes were on her, she suddenly settled into a stool at the bar.

It took the stallion tending a few minutes to make his way toward her. “… What’ll you have, ma’am?”

She smiled pleasantly. “I’m looking for something strong enough to make me feel like my teeth got bucked in.”

Lyra had to admit, he was well trained. His expression didn’t alter at all when she uttered the phrase her contact had given her. Just nodded politely and poured a drink, sliding it over on a napkin. Casually, the young mare lifted the drink with her hoof, taking a sip while she unfolded the napkin with her magic.

Apple Orchard, midnight.

Finishing her drink, she tossed a few bits on the counter and cantered out. It was nearly eleven already, so at least she didn’t have to wait all day to meet her contact. Tugging the hood of her cloak back up, she made for the Apple family orchard. She liked to get a quick lay of the land whenever she got involved in the hand offs. Now and again she’d needed to make a quick escape in the past.

The orchard was on the far side of the town; a bit of a trot, but not too bad. She made it there with nearly a half hour to spare. Slipping the invisibility charm around her neck again, she wandered the orchard from one end to the other. It was pretty impressive really; she was surprised they’d managed one so large. Sure, they probably had constant sunshine, but where did they get the water? They must pay their pegasi overtime for rain.

Her musings were interrupted at the sound of cautious hoofsteps. Glancing at the sound, she saw an approaching pony wearing a heavy black cloak, hood concealing her face. Lyra could tell it was a mare by the body shape, but that was all. This was probably the contact, but she wasn’t going to risk being found out.

“Lyra! I know you’re spying on me, just come out.”

Now there was a voice she not only recognized, but was longing to hear. Still, the chance to prank her longtime on again off again romantic partner was too much to pass up, and she snuck up behind the earth pony mare, giving her a light slap on the flanks.

Bon-bon reared up on her hind legs, throwing her hood back and revealing her identity. With an angry snort, she hastily tugged it back over her face, shooting a glare at Lyra as she faded into view. “Sorry, Bonny. I couldn’t resist.”

With an angry snort, Bon-bon tapped a hoof impatiently. “Do you have what we need?”

‘Right to business. Ah well.’ The bard mused as she slipped an envelope from the folds of her own well-worn cloak. “Of course. Do you have what I need?”

The other mare didn’t bother to open the envelope and confirm its contents. Despite Lyra’s oft frivolous nature, she trusted her. Without hesitation, she tossed the unicorn a bag of bits, who likewise didn’t check inside, simply tucking it away. “So do you have anything else for me?” Lyra smiled suggestively.

“I do…” They shared a brief kiss before the earth pony stepped back. “… I’ve also been asked to invite you to join us. Properly.”

Lyra chuckled. “Well where’s the fun in that? If I settle down with you guys, it wouldn’t be fair to everypony else I work for.”

“This is serious, Lyra. Our leaders don’t invite just anypony to meet with them. And we’re not asking you to stop doing what you’re doing. Helping the griffons out helps us out too; anything to make life harder on the other tribes makes it easier on us. But you’d be paid better, and have access to all our resources.”

Lyra frowned thoughtfully. She didn’t really need the pay she made now; it was more of a game to her than anything. But expanding her information network, now that was certainly worth meeting a couple stuff rebellious earth ponies. “Alright. I’ll talk to your bosses.”

Now Bon-bon hugged her tightly. “I knew you’d come around. C’mon, I’ll show you the way to the headquarters.”

Lyra returned the embrace eagerly. She’d forget how strong Bonny was, but she could never forget the mare’s scent. If they hadn’t been born separate tribes, she was sure she’d have married her by now. But doing so would result in both being ostracized by their respective tribes, and she couldn’t do that to Bon-bon. She followed the mare quietly as they slipped from the orchard and into the desert. Neither spoke for a time until a large rock formation came into view a mile or two west of town.

Head tilted curiously, Lyra watched as Bon-bon just… walked through a particularly large boulder. Now she was genuinely intrigued, and followed hot on her hooves, ignoring the illusory wall. “You have other unicorns working with the rebellion?”

Bon-bon grinned. “Oh yeah. And not just unicorns.”

Lyra idly wondered how they managed to get one of the almost zealously loyal pegasi to abandon their duties and join an earth pony rebel group, but she supposed everypony had his or her breaking point. For Lyra, it had been Dodge of course. Until then, she’d been content to perform her music, blissfully ignorant or uncaring of the plight of the earth tribe. Hearing of every stallion, mare, and foal in the town being wiped out struck her as profoundly wrong, no matter the crime committed. After that, she lent her talents to the highest paying clients she could find.

She was surprised at the size of their operation. Dozens of ponies coming and going through a seemingly endless maze of crisscrossing tunnels. Bon-bon trotted forward unerringly, making several twists and turns, leaving Lyra hopelessly lost. “Just be polite, alright Lyra?”

Lyra was about to ask who she was supposed to be polite to, when her guide came to an abrupt stop and the unicorn gasped softly. Standing nearly twice the size of a normal pony was a pink mare with both wings and a horn. Her long mane and tail a beautiful pastel pink, purple, and yellow mix. She looked to the two newcomers and smiled. “Welcome Miss Heartstrings. I’m Mi Amore Cadenza. We’ve heard good things.”

Lyra could only blink at seeing a mythical alicorn. “… Thanks?”