• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 6,074 Views, 168 Comments

Book of Pink - Homeshine



For her birthday, Pinkie gives Twilight a book on how to be Pinkie. At first dubious, Twilight becomes fascinated.

  • ...
5
 168
 6,074

Pink is not Limited to One Vessel: 2

"Wow. Are all these books about me?" Pinkie asked astonishingly she pondered the library spiraling downwards, below.

"Not quite all of them," Twilight smiled. "Some of them are on ancient Equestrian history."

"Oh." Pinkie's ears drooped slightly. "I bet you read most of those, then".

Twilight looked at the ground semi-blushingly, and scraped one front hoof along the ground. "Those books aren't quite as interesting as the ones about Pink."

Pinkie giggled. "Aww. Don't stay up too late reading about me." Pinkie hopped off to bed. "Goodnight! Sleep tight! Twilight!"

Twilight sighed, and looked out at the torrent of rainwater drenching the outsides of the windows. Rain had always helped her to sleep in the past, but in this endless, unending gloom of it … nothing.

Twilight cantered over to the spider. SOMETHING should have happened to it by now, even if Bodivander were completely wrong. But Twilight was growing increasingly concerned that he may just be RIGHT.

The theory was sound, so what was the issue? Twilight gazed into the vial of 'pink juice' as Pinkie loved to call it, sitting in its place of honor so far away from the other three. They could make all they wanted, now, but it still seemed so precious somehow. Twilight smiled. Perhaps she'd make some to light up the library when she got home. Reading by Pink-light would be a nice reminder on gloomy, rainy nights such as these. Twilight set a determined grin on her face.

Twi didn't know what was happening with the pink juice or the spider, and that had concerned her. She'd finished the Book of Pink, and scanned every chapter in the Cult library that seemed to be pertinent, but still, there was one simple factor that eluded her. Twilight simply wasn't thinking Pink enough.

Twilight had been worried she might need to give up the Alicorn Amulet after all.

But Twilight had just thought of one last, sneaky, thing to try before morning.

Continuing to stare into the pink light of the vial, Twilight closed her eyes, levitated it, uncorked it above her head, tilted it carefully, and allowed a single, shining drop of Pink to hit her tongue.

** *

Pinkie gazed out into the rain outside her guest bedroom window. She couldn't sleep. No matter how many parties she threw inside the castle, there was still so much gloom outside. Maybe she really needed to go out in all those splooshy puddles like her subconscious brain kept telling her to. But she needed to be fully alert tomorrow for more tests. Pinkie sighed. She sometimes wished she were smart like Twilight. Then she'd know what to do.

Well, why not?

'Subconscious brain, you are a genius', Pinkie giggled. Well, at least she'd be a genius, soon. As Pinkie crept down the stairs, carefully tiptoeing to avoid squeaking any of the steps, she carefully crept over to the cabinet where the other three ingredients were stored. Pinkie slowly pulled open the ancient, wooden door of the cabinet (It wasn't locked!) without making a single sound. And there were all three of the essences, neatly labeled in their neatly-placed neat little bottles. All nice and neat ...

for now.

Pinkie grabbed up the clear, milky bottle labeled 'unicorn essence' and started chugging it down. A gulp slid noiselessly down her throat …

** *

Bodivander had been woken up by explosions before. Magical interruptions, charms zapped awry, even hooffights between fellow cult members, but this...

Bodivander was suddenly awakened by an excess of quiet. All the regular background noises in the castle suddenly .. stopped. No janitors or security guards. No wind. No rain that had been incessantly clattering the windowpanes for weeks now. Bodivander had far enough potion training to know what this truly ominous sign meant: some exceptionally powerful magic had just been cast, displacing all other energies in its wake. One that could only have been started by ...

"The Panacea" Bodivander mouthed, and then raced downstairs, still in his pajamas, as fast as he could go.

He took them two at a time, then three, then finally slid down the railing in his quest to get to the bottom at all possible speed. Finally galloping full tilt into the experiment room, Bodivander crashed open the double doors. Still panting, he looked up.

Inside, he found two bright pink unicorns. Both slightly grinning at each other. Both slightly blushing. Both standing there blinking at each other.

Bodivander breathed a great rush of air. He really should have locked that pantry up.