• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 6,072 Views, 168 Comments

Book of Pink - Homeshine



For her birthday, Pinkie gives Twilight a book on how to be Pinkie. At first dubious, Twilight becomes fascinated.

  • ...
5
 168
 6,072

How To Appear Everywhere

"Hello" Pinkie cheerfully popped her head in a basement window, "I'm off for the day. How do you like your present so far?"

"It's really interesting," Twilight honestly said. "I'm really drawn to it. It speaks from the heart. Thanks, Pinkie," Twilight smiled up at the equally grinning pink face, "Doesn't your neck hurt doing that?"

"Nope! Any way in is a good way in! Have you gotten to that bit, yet?"

Twilight blinked, "Um. Yes, actually." She'd read those words not fifteen seconds before. How did Pinkie KNOW?!

Well, might as well ask her, "Is it in the book later? How do you keep showing up that way?"

"Oh, it's easy." Pinkie tried to shove herself through with her hind legs. For a moment, it was obviously not going to work, then Pinkie gave an extra 'Oomph' and came tumbling inside.

"This is becoming an interactive story!" a very upside-down Pinkie said, as Twilight gently helped her up.

"This is how you do it. First, you think about where you want to be."

Twilight gently nodded. This is how her own Teleportation spell began.

"Second, you think of the shortest way to get there."

Twilight continued nodding more vigorously. This part she knew well.

"Then, C: You think about all of the things between you and there."

Twilight grinned again.

"Finally, you think of all the other ways you could go that you were missing, instead."

"What?"

"What's happening in those places? Are they lonely?"

Twilight couldn't quite grasp this sudden change of course. Her mind mentally tacked hard to port, right over a waterfall.

Twilight slowly repeated, "Are those places … lonely?"

Pinkie nodded earnestly. "Sometimes you think you need to go right in the front door. But nopony seems to think about the other ways. Is where you're going in the back? Go in the back door! It's much quicker. Is where you're going on the second floor? Go in a window. Dashie taught me that one!"

Twilight imagined how Rainbow must have taught Pinkie that specific trick; probably involving high velocity.

Pinkie laughed as she continued, "Anyway, you never know. Some ways take a bit more effort. But the extra effort is worth it. If nothing else, it surprises them!" With that, Pinkie hopped up, clutched the windowsill, stuck her head out, and in an excellent explanatory demonstration of her technique, wriggled, squirmed, oomphed, and plopped her way outside again. "The book tells you all about it! Happy reading!" Pinkie giggled off into the sunset.


Twilight looked up. Wait, the sun was setting? Just when it was getting good!

But Twilight smiled.

"G'night Spike!" Twilight gently tucked in the still-sleeping dragon on her way out the door.

She'd hadn't pulled an all-nighter to read a book since unicorn school, but this … this was too good to pass up. She grabbed up her nectarine lantern in her mouth, up the stairs, and marched outside into the twilit darkness, placing it on a stump. As the fireflies crowded around the dish of sweet nectar inside, the lantern started to give off its familiar citrine light. Not even waiting for the lantern to fill, Twilight continued reading in the combined soft glow of the lantern and setting sun.

She'd planned to close the lantern properly and bring it back inside. She'd planned to curl up with the book in bed, as she used to. She'd planned to stay up all night in there.

Not out here.

Without even realizing, the tired eyes combined the words with dreams, until at last Twilight fell asleep with her hooves tucked underneath her, cherubically on the grass, softly dreaming dreams of Pink.