• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 6,073 Views, 168 Comments

Book of Pink - Homeshine



For her birthday, Pinkie gives Twilight a book on how to be Pinkie. At first dubious, Twilight becomes fascinated.

  • ...
5
 168
 6,073

How to think really really really really hard. (That's 4 reallys)

A more pinkieish book had not ever been written. The cover was a bright neon pink, covered in further pink stickers. Every inch of its collage was bedazzled in at least one object, sometimes more than one, overlapping in a massive fractal of chaos, peppermints, drawings, plastic flowers; it was an incarnation of Pinkie's mind made manifest, dropped one day into an unassuming reality.

"I was going to give it to you tomorrow during the party, but I just couldn't wait! I thought of you having the whole day off and not reading it! It was too much to ask." Pinkie happily bounced up and down outside Twilight's door, her burden cheerfully lifted.

"Well …" Twilight eyed the homemade book skeptically as it hovered before her. It seemed so fragile that pieces might come flying off any second, but nothing had fallen off so far.

"They say the best presents are those that you make yourself. I was going to give you food, but then I thought *gasp* 'what Twi loves is more books, so what better book than one I made myself.'" Pinkie at last came to some semblance of rest with her ever-present smile on her face, beaming in her touch of brilliance.

Twilight carefully, slowly opened the book to the table of contents. All the sticky bits stayed stuck. This book was more substantial than it looked, The table of contents lay before her in what was obviously Pinkie's curlicue script. "I didn't know you knew how to bind books."

"I had some help. OH! That reminds me! Gotta get back to the bakery! Tell me what you think! Tootles." Pinkie's voice faded off into the distance as she happily bounded away. Twilight smiled and brought the book into the house. Well, the library was closed anyway. Why not take Pinkie's advice? Twilight carefully nudged aside 'A History of Legal Water Rights' and allowed the book to land on her reading table. This was going to be an … interesting read.

* * *

Twilight smiled at the illustration as she reassembled herself to match it. Pinkie's drawing of her had Twilight firmly sitting on her plot, with her front hooves clasped together in a circle, and her hind hooves clasped in an X, it what was apparently Pinkie's idea of a meditation position. Twilight couldn't help but grin at that, she'd had courses on meditation, how to clear the mind of all activity so she could fill it up with magic. The positions were nothing at all like this. Poor Pinkie. But she might as well give it a chance.

"Huh," Twilight frowned at the book. It obviously did not say to 'clear the mind' as her magic books did in their first chapters, but instead to fill the mind. Of course. Twilight could never imagine Pinkie's mind not going a mile a minute, anyway. Twilight was supposed to imagine her happy things. Twilight laughed as she closed her eyes and tried to think "really hard" about them. Her friends. an A on her report card. The places she used to go to relax and find tranquility and excitement. Her favorite music. To tell a joke and have everyone laugh. Favorite foods, both desserts and meals. Relaxing on the beach, viewing an amazing vista of the mountains at sunset, the smell of freshly-baked cookies.

Twilight thought really really hard.

Twilight thought of the day the Pegasi over Canterlot accidentally dropped a foot of snow, and they had to cancel school for the day, giving her an extra day to work on her final report. She'd gotten a hundred percent on that report. She remembered how thankful she'd been for that extra time; she'd worked so hard on it. Everyone had been proud of her. Of course, she learned later, they would have been proud of her, anyway.

Twilight thought really, really, really hard.

Twilight thought of the time she'd surprised Pinkie with a cake Twi had made out of a cookbook's recipe. It had been terribly lopsided, but Pinkie insisted it was one of the best tasting cakes she'd ever had, saying it was flavored with love, giving her a huge hug of thanks in return.

Twilight thought about that really really really really hard.

A warmth started creeping up her, from her center, core, soul of her being, and spreading, ever so gradually, outward, towards her hooves and horn. This wasn't anything like a magic spell; it caught her by surprise, but Twilight let the aura fill her with its energy, yielding to the pinkish manna, so different than the kind derived from order and organization, or the darker magic derived from chaos. This was a magic derived from whimsy. And she let it subsume her.

Twilight had thought Pinkie knew nothing of meditation when she'd started. As she opened her eyes to her world still glowing with the last lights of a slight pinkish tingle, she realized she'd actually learned something from this book. Not exactly magic; something … different. She would need to take it more seriously. This was a subject she'd never studied before, and here was the only textbook written by the world's foremost authority. Who knows what Twilight might learn?


Twilight collected the book in her hovering light, and marched it down to the basement and the reading room, "Spike," she said to the lazing-about dragon as she passed, "Could you not interrupt me for a while?"

"No problem" Spike sighed as he turned over. He'd heard it before.

"No distractions. I want to get this read ."

It was time for some SERIOUS reading.