• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 4,816 Views, 95 Comments

Site 16 - The Tartarus Gate - Journeyman



The SCP Foundation gives you long hours, low pay, a high chance of death, and treasures blacker than our hearts. That is the price of knowledge, Twilight. You may have all our secrets. All we ask for is your soul.

  • ...
8
 95
 4,816

SCP-976 — Doctor Destiny

Item #: SCP-976

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-976 is uncontained and may never be contained. Due to the ease SCP-976 can penetrate Foundation security, it has earned a keter designation. Should any agent or researcher come into contact with anypony identifying itself as SCP-976 or “Destiny”, extreme caution is advised. All staff are encouraged to learn and converse with SCP-976 should it appear to them.

Any and all containment options for SCP-976 should be reported to your Site Director. All suggestions are welcome, regardless of who may suggest them.

All hospital reports and newspaper sources are to be monitored for any identifiable reference to a “Doctor Destiny” or near death experiences involving an unknown doctor. Should any take place, the victim is to be questioned on their experiences and given a Class-A Mnemonic Enchantment.

Description: SCP-976 is a male, middle-aged earth pony identifying itself as “Destiny” who often dresses in a standard issue doctor’s garb. To date, the subject has not expressed hostility or desire to inflict harm upon the Foundation, despite knowing more classified intelligence than even high clearance Foundation agents are considered capable of obtaining. SCP-976 has expressed an encyclopedic knowledge of all individuals it has sought.

The subject appears to injured individuals close to death and heals their wounds before leaving. The Foundation has procured records from civilian and military hospitals highlighting similar encounters with a doctor identifying himself as “Destiny”. Further research into historical records dating back over seven hundred years indicate a total of ███ similar instances of a healer coming to ponies’ aid. Further research is underway to discover more SCP-976 activity.

SCP-976 displays vast and extensive knowledge of anatomy and surgical procedures, along with experience in microbiology, infectious diseases, epidemiology, radiology, pharmacology, pediatrics, oncology, anatomy, and physiology. The time required to learn such a wide degree of medical knowledge is inconsistent with SCP-976’s approximate age, indicating the subject is far older than physical appearances suggest.

SCP-976 is in possession of medical technology far more advanced than even the finest facilities in the world. To date, the subject has been capable of cleansing radiation sickness within the span of three (3) hours, curing SCP-1523 in even its most advanced stages, and carries a functional hive of [REDACTED].

No known physical or magical barrier is capable of deterring SCP-976. The subject is able to access and exit heavily fortified Foundation structures without utilizing typical entrances. This data, along with eyewitness testimonies, suggests a form of locomotion or transport not fully understood by science or magic.

Containment History: SCP-976 came to the attention of the Foundation after Field Agent Captain ████ ████████ suffered debilitating wounds at the hooves of SCP-724. ████████ told the tale of a healer coming to him in the darkness and splinting his leg so he could escape. A formal inquiry was established in order to identify the intruder, as it was not typical SCP-724 behavior. No definite conclusions were reached and the case was shelved.

After the incident, other agents compared their own “final moment” stories with each other. The results produced an unusually high number of instance where agents were rescued by a stallion claiming no association with the Foundation. After compiling all known instances of SCP-976, there were a confirmed seven (7) encounters with researchers and field agents, ███ encounters with civilians, and ██ encounters with world military and political members.

Addendum 976-28-1: Record log of Captain ████ ████████’s questioning about his encounter with SCP-976.
Interviewer: Doctor Nova
interviewee: Captain ████████

<BEGIN LOG>
Doctor Nova: This will all be on record, captain.

Captain ████████: Understood.

Doctor Nova: Please state your name and rank.

Captain ████████: Captain ████ ████████, Containment Area 23.

Doctor Nova: Describe the events preceding your encounter.

Captain ████████: I was ambushed by a group of SCP-724-2. All were terminated, but I lost my wingpony and three agents in the process. I had two broken legs, a compound fracture in my wing, and some broken ribs. I wasn’t going anywhere and knew very well I might not be able to make it out alive at that point. Since I was located on the seventh level and on one of the recon teams, it wasn’t likely I would be discovered anytime soon.

I accepted the fact I would not make it out. I even prepared a cyanide capsule in case I encountered SCP-724-1 or SCP-724-2; none want to be turned into SCP-724-2. I wasn’t making much progress in my state.

I turned the corner of the T-junction right next to the western wall, and that’s when I saw him. He was dressed in a lab coat with the most utterly blank look on his face.

Doctor Nova: The intruder did not approach you?

Captain ████████: It appeared he knew I was coming and was just waiting for me. I didn’t recognize him as anyone registered on site and he didn’t look like one of the infected SCP-724-2, but I knew enough staff to know that he didn’t belong there. I asked him who he was, and he said Destiny. I prepared myself for a fight, and that’s when he just pulled out some supplies from his saddlebags. He asked me to lie down and hold still like it was the most normal thing in the world. Being in that building didn’t even phase him. It was admirable, really.

Doctor Nova: You allowed him to operate on you?

Captain ████████: Allow? Not at first, but it wasn’t as if I had a choice. I was too wounded to put up much of a fight and he overpowered me quickly when I resisted. He just started operating on me, stitching wounds and resetting ribs. Honestly, I let him after that.

Doctor Nova: Did the subject say anything during the procedure?

Captain ████████: Precious little. I asked him the usual array of questions: Who are you? What do you want? With whom are you affiliated? I got Destiny as a name and then got the silent treatment.

Doctor Nova: Describe him for me.

Captain ████████: Earth pony. Tall, slender, and wearing a lab coat. Couldn’t see the cutie mark. He was very gaunt, almost as if he hasn’t slept in days. His saddlebags were unremarkable, but were full of medical supplies, a mechanical [REDACTED], and a photograph stitched into the leather.

Doctor Nova: Describe the photo.

Captain ████████: Not possible. I was in the lesser lit sections of SCP-724, so I couldn’t see much. All I had was my lantern and a flashlight, and that was only just enough to see the floor and little else. [Captain ████████ is momentarily silent]

Stupid of me for not realizing that. I could barely see anything, yet he managed to operate on me in near complete darkness? He shouldn’t have been able to do that. Even a gargoyle’s darkvision is barely enough to see in SCP-724.

Doctor Nova: Did the subject have some form of equipment to allow him to see in darkness?

Captain ████████: None. Just his eyes. I don’t know how he managed it, but he did.

Doctor Nova: Alright then. Did anything else happen while he was operating on you?

Captain ████████: Not really. I was paying close attention for any sounds or presence, but, fortunately, nothing happened. The pony kept working without a word, splinting my leg and stitching wounds.

Doctor Nova: What happened afterwards?

Captain ████████: He just wandered off. After he was done, he packed up his gear and wandered back into the shadows. I tried following him to see where he came from or where he would go, but I had no such luck. I couldn’t fly or walk very fast, but even if I could, I don’t think it would have helped. He rounded a corner, so I pursued. When I rounded the same corner, he was gone. I still had a lantern and it was enough to find my way, but there was nothing. In fact, it was a dead end. I checked the wall for any seams, cracks, or enchantment, but found none. He simply... vanished.

Doctor Nova: Very well. I believe I have all I need, captain.
<END LOG>

A full security sweep was ordered to check for holes in surveillance and possible security leaks. No intruders were detected, but site logs discovered a massive spike in ███████ particles. ████████ Protocol 273 was placed in effect in afterwards.

Addendum 976-28-2: Hearsay transcript of a conversation between Field Agent Diamond Dust and SCP-976. Due to the heavy wounds inflicted upon the agent due to a battle with [REDACTED], the conversation was transcripted after events had taken place. This particular encounter is of note, as it is the longest conversation with SCP-976 on record.

<START LOG>
Agent Dust: It’s you. Holy shit, it’s you. Doctor –

SCP-976: Destiny.

Agent Dust: ...Why?

SCP-976: Why you?

[Subject proceeds to cauterize hemorrhaging wounds. Agent screams in pain]

It makes no difference to me anymore.

Agent Dust: B-but you’re a doctor.

SCP-976: That does not give me the ability to care.

Agent Dust: Why stop caring at all then?

SCP-976: I never started.

Agent Dust: Then why go through all this effort? You come to us in our final moments, for... for what?

SCP-976: [SCP-976 stops its work] What do you cherish most, Dust? The son and daughter who do not even know you are alive? The wife that believes you to be dead? A cloak-and-dagger organization with hearts as empty as the void of space? The Foundation has poisoned you so much that you can no longer discern between right and wrong.

[SCP-976 chuckles]

I am one to talk.

Agent Dust: I do this job so that others can live normal lives, doctor. This planet is filled to the brim with shit that could kill us ten times over. I do this so my kids can have normal lives. Yeah, it sucks to not see them, but I’d rather have them happy and ignorant than know what’s out there and be miserable.

SCP-976: How noble to force your beliefs of happiness and values on others. That is not your decision to make, Dust. You take for granted the ability to choose.

[SCP-976 resets agent’s ribs. Agent screams in pain]

I do what I must. No more.

[SCP-976 proceeds to pack its gear]

You will be fine if you rendezvous with your squad. Three klicks east.

Agent Dust: Doctor?

SCP-976: [SCP-976 does not respond, but halts]

Agent Dust: What did you choose to do all this, helping ponies and all that?

SCP-976: I didn't.
<END LOG>

The subject left Agent Dust shortly after. Agent Dust reached his squad safely, where he then proceeded to transcribe what he experienced.

Addendum 976-28-3: A memo from Assistant Director Zed:

I am thankful this SCP has rescued so many agents in their hour of need. I cannot thank SCP-976 enough for its deeds, both the tall and the small. I would personally commendate it for its actions.

That is why it must be contained at all costs. SCP-976 is not an angel, but a normal pony with an extraordinary ability, and that makes it dangerous. This SCP has the ability go wherever it wishes with absolutely no hindrance. What if, on a whimsy, it decided to venture to the O5 council? A leader of a ruling nation? In the middle of a classified scientific research facility? What if SCP-976 suffers just one bad day and makes a mistake, killing instead of saving? SCP-976 is the perfect healer, and that makes it the perfect assassin, and that is why it must be contained.

~Assistant Director Zed


SCP Foundation Homesite

Author's Note:

Okay, I have a little explaining to do, as some of you don't read my blogs. I recognize some of you got the idea seeing that the story is on hiatus, I believe a few things are still in order. However, I don't like putting an update chapter just to explain things; I believe some genuine content is in order, thus a genuine SCP document and a keter one at that. However, don't expect this to continue.

Here is the first thing. Yes, this story is on hiatus. No, I don't intend to keep it like that indefinitely. The story is on hiatus, not cancelled.

No, I don't know how long it will remain on hiatus. It is likely this story will remain so for the rest of the year. I have a lot of real world things to take care of, along with other stories to work on. Plus, I have a project I really hope to get finished.

The reason for this is that I took an an editor, Nonagon, to preread some of my documents and chapters. He spotted a rather embarrassingly large hole in my story, so large in fact that I am forced to put Site 19 - The Tartarus Gate on hiatus. No, I don't want to tell you what that hole is because I do intend on returning to the story, rewrite it, and finish it.

I'm sorry it turned out this way, and I apologize if you expected some actual story instead of a document, but I cannot continue the story just yet. Sometime, maybe, but not today. Enjoy the story of Doctor Destiny, and here is hoping I can come back some day and finish this. I have so much planned for Bella, Twilight, and Salizar.

But not today.

Cheers.