• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 6,087 Views, 683 Comments

Across the Dimensional Divide - StrawberryGamer



You ever get that feeling you get when life, the universe, and everything hates you and decides you'd be better off as a mare in another dimension, but that universe hates you too? Because that's me. Right now.

  • ...
30
 683
 6,087

Going out.

I am seriously enjoying flying. It’s quite the sensation. Going back to that one comment about hang gliding, I realize it doesn’t quite do it justice. Maybe skydiving in a flight suit? I’ve done neither, so this is the closest I can compare to. Sorry. Anyway, flying beside Snowstorm was fun. I don’t know how high we were. Maybe about a hundred feet? I couldn’t tell, and I’m still a bit nervous about looking down, but thankfully, all I had to do was follow Snowy. Yeah, I called him Snowy. He called me Sunny, so I’m calling him Snowy.

We dodged a few clouds on the way. I don’t know whether they really are solid to pegasi, or if it was just a game. I’d find out later though. I noticed him lower his altitude, so I followed his lead. As we were going down, I noticed a cottage. Oh yeah, that was definitely Fluttershy’s house.

Snowy set his hooves on the ground in front of her door while I just hovered a few feet above him. He knocked on her door, and the sound of crashing plastic dishes followed. I guess she was in the middle of feeding time. The door slowly creaked open, and I saw her eye peek out at us. When she noticed it was us, she thrust open the doors, a smile on her face. “Hi you two. How can I help you this morning?” She then turned to me. “Are your cats doing okay?” She asked.

I nodded. “They’re doing fine. Fluffy as always.” I said, smiling.

Fluttershy’s smile widened upon hearing this. “That’s good.” She said. I noticed her volume level was a bit higher than I expected, but I guess it’s just me. “So, what do you need?” She asked Snowstorm.

“We were wondering if you would go out with us to mess around with the clouds.” He said. Sadly Fluttershy shook her head. “Busy again?” He asked.

“Yes, I have a sick parakeet to look after. I’m so sorry guys, but I can’t join you today.” She said, and added a “Sorry.” She closed the door, leaving me with Snowy again.

I turned to him. “Well, that was a whole lot of nothing there. What do we do now?” I asked. I knew he was going to keep on the original plan of doing whatever pegasi do with clouds, but I wanted to be sure.

Snowstorm simply took off. “Come on, even without Flutters, we can still have fun.” He shouted from the air. I shrugged inwardly and took off after him. He gained speed.

So that’s how you wanna play it, huh?

I flapped my wings as hard as I could in an attempt to catch up with him. I ended up speeding up so much, I headbutted him and we both crashed on top of a cloud.

Now, I understand that pegasi can control the weather. Watching the Weather Channel made that abundantly clear, even in this world. But to stand on top of this condensed blob of water vapor and water droplets, all tightly packed together, is just surprising. I reached out with a hoof and moved it around. It wasn’t moist or uncomfortably damp at all. It was like a big ball of cotton. That got my mind into overdrive.

This doesn’t feel like a cloud at all. Just a big pillow. Could it be the density of the cloud is bigger than it’s volume? If I tried compressing this cloud, how many bathtubs would it fill?

The thought of filling a dozen bathtubs with rainwater made me chuckle. I noticed Snowstorm was looking at me with a frown, but his eyes still had their playful cheerfulness. Wondering whether or not this would work, I scooped up a ball of cloud, and threw it at him. His eyes widened in surprise as it flew at him and hit him in the face, covering his pony snout with white fluff. I laughed. It made him look like Santa Claus!

“Ha, ha, laugh it up Sunny.” He said in a disapproving, yet humorous tone. I knew, by that tone, what was coming next, and ducked my head as a cloud ball sailed over it. “Darn it! How’d you know?” He asked.

“Your tone gave it away. Work of that next time.” I told him simply. I’m not gonna pretend to have an expanded vocabulary, to know big words with five or more syllables, or to go on long, complicated self-lectures about myself, my life, my predicament, or anything of the sort. I roll in a simple style. I make it easy for people to follow me, as long as I’m not spewing random sentences out of my mouth. Speaking of which, does Sunshine have the same random qualities I have? Time to test that theory. “Also, the brownie fairies told me.” I said matter-of-factly.

Snowstorm cocked his head to the left in confusion. “I’m sorry, what?” I guess I failed that test. Despite having my room in almost the same condition, I was apparently a different mare than a boy. I waved a hoof dismissingly. “Whatever, Sunshine. You wanna hang out at the mall? Maybe meet some more friends if they’re there?” He asked.

I felt something in his tone, but I couldn’t discern what it was. Maybe confusion or impatience. Whatever it was, it had something to do with my random outburst. Obviously, I’m not supposed to be random. Well, you know what? Not being random is worse than being a chick! Screw you! Up the ass! With a spoon!

Then another thing hit me. Friends. My friends back home. Did they carry over to here? Are they ponies, or humans? Are they the same friends I know? I have to find the answers to these questions.

“Yes.” I said. Whoops, I was too serious with that answer. “I mean, yeah, sure.” I tried to diffuse it, but he just got more confused, then shrugged it off.

“Then come on. What are you waiting for?” He took off, and I followed. We flew closer to the ground, and I could see many ponies with carriages, both pulling and riding. I even noticed one group trade spots on the side of the road. I looked a little higher and noticed a Pegasus-drawn one. That was cool, even though it defied the laws of physics. Then again, I did stand on a cloud earlier, so who truly gives a flying fudge? Not me, that’s for sure.

What I noticed that concerned me though, was the lack of humans. They were here. The TV shows I saw convinced me of that. So where were they? All I saw were ponies. Not one human. Not one. My town doesn’t have a mall, but the one next to us does. Wait, I just tangented. Well, it was true anyway. Tangent problems aside, I thought that was gonna be a rather long flight. When the mall came into my sight, I was surprised at how fast we got here. Out of left field, Snowstorm made a diving move, folding his wings in to give him greater speed. Frankly, I thought the dude lost his marbles. But as I flew down to catch up with him, he pulled out of it with timing that would make Rainbow Dash proud, if not a little jealous.

I caught up to him by an Olive Garden and Gibbs slapped him. “Don’t ever do that again, you hear me?” I slapped him again. “Never do that again!” I said harshly. Dear Cheese-Its, I was worried about him. Hmm… Cheese-Its… I like them, but they always leave a taste in my mouth. My stomach growled. Fudge! I forgot to eat breakfast! “When we get there, let’s drop by the food court first.” I said sheepishly.

I got a playful nudge from Snowstorm. “Alright you… Forgot to eat again?” He asked. I nodded. Yeah, I forgot. So what? I was caught up in the moment of discovering I was a fudging mare! “It’s okay. I’ll pay this time. I forgot to eat too.” He said, and a tummy rumble from him confirmed it.

“Yeah, I can see that. Hahaha!” I laughed. No, it wasn’t a laugh, it was a giggle. Damn, I giggled! Okay, calm down… I won’t lose myself. It was just one giggle. That is the first and only sign of femininity. I won’t let that bring me down. I’m stronger than this.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by another nudge. “Come on Sunshine, don’t trance on me yet.” He said, and used a foreleg to push me along. I began trotting on my own power, and thankfully, the mall was just across the street. Again, I saw nothing but equines on my way. I could have sworn I saw a zebra in the carriage parking lot, but I could have imagined it. Anyway, it’s not like I cared. I just wanted some food in my belly. The sooner I got that, the sooner I cared about anything else. Until then, I only gave a fuck about food and Snowstorm, since he’s buying.

We finally entered the mall and, again, there were only ponies. I was starting to think that this part of the world has only ponies. “Hey, Snowstorm… where’s the nearest human?” I asked. I mentally facehoofed myself again for thinking I could get away from that.

Snowstorm looked about as confused as I did from that question, like he was thinking the same thing. “I don’t know. There were plenty around until about a month ago. We’ll worry about that later though. I smell food.” He said.

He was right; food is definitely on the senses right now. We picked up our pace to a moderate canter until the food court entered our sight. My stomach growled in anticipation for this glorious event. I scanned the choices for something for breakfast, when my eyes fell upon Cinnabon. “There!” I said, just loud enough for a pony or two to glance in my direction. I paid them no attention, and instead focused all my attention on the sweet scent of cinnamon. Before I knew what happened, I was standing right at the front counter.

Snowstorm waved a hoof in front of me. “Hey, Equestria to Sunshine. Come in Sunshine. Over.” He said, mimicking someone using a walkie-talkie.

“Sunshine to Equestria, I found the target. Proceed with Operation: Breakfast? Over.” I mimicked the walkie-talkie voice as well, which took Snowy by surprise.

“Affirmative. Proceeding with Operation: Breakfast. Over.” He replied. We both shared a laugh. I actually laughed, not giggled this time. Thank the Pizza Lord for that. I don’t think I want to giggle again.

I took a few more steps and noticed someone in the kitchen, humming to herself. I couldn’t recognize the song, though it sounded catchy. I tapped a hoof on the counter to get her attention. She turned around and bounced towards us. That’s when I noticed just who it was. It was Pinkie Pie. “Hey Sunny. Hey Snowy.” She said.

Snowstorm seemed as surprised as me. “Pinkie, you changed jobs again?” He asked. Hmm… She likes changing jobs? Interesting, and just like Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie nodded. “Yep. I just can’t find one that is good enough for me. Anyway, what will it be?” She asked us.

I looked at the choices. I decided on something simple. “Just a cinnamon roll for each of us, please.” I said. Before we knew it, two fresh cinnamon rolls were thrust into our faces. Snowstorm paid a few bits – lightly startling me that they were still the currency here – and we both started to eat.

I took the first bite and was assaulted by flavors of awesomeness. I loved cinnamon rolls before, and definitely loved Cinnabon’s cinnamon rolls, but this time it was just intense. I blame fresh taste buds for that. I must have been thrown into another cinnamon induced trance because the next thing I knew, I had eaten three of them, and Snowstorm and I were sitting at a table. I blinked in confusion. “What just happened?” I asked.

Snowstorm chuckled. “You ate the first one in three bites, then ordered two more and inhaled them. What was with that? I’ve never seen you do that before.” He said. Great, another chip off my cover.

“I was really hungry.” I said. It wasn’t a lie. I was hungry. Not anymore though. I could still taste the cinnamon rolls. Tasted like heaven on bread.

Pinkie Pie bounced to our table with a happy smile. “Did you two enjoy yourselves?” She asked. I couldn’t help but nod vigorously. She smiled even wider. “Great. I thought this would be a great way to help ease the tension and start over.” She said.

I was confused at her last few words. “Start over from what?” I asked. Did something happen between the real Sunshine and Pinkie Pie? Or was this while I was in that cinnamon roll induced trance?

Pinkie’s smile faltered for a second. “Oh yeah, that’s right. Never mind. Have fun!” She said, and jumped over the counter back into the kitchen. Pinkie Pie, you are so random… I got up from the table and left with Snowstorm beside me. I was smiling, satisfied with my meal. I almost didn’t notice Pinkie say to herself. “Good, she didn’t find out.”

I did notice though, and was about to turn around, when another voice called the name of the pony whose body I was currently inhabiting. “Sunshine, Sunshine!” I turned to face the voice and found an orange earth pony cantering towards me. Before you start thinking so, no, it’s not Applejack. This one was clearly male, and had a very spiky mane. I was worried he would poke somebody’s eye out with that mane. Ha, still no pony terminology for me! His mane and tail were brown, and his cutie mark was a quill and scroll. “Sunshine, wait for me!” He yelled, and broke into a gallop to catch up with me and Snowstorm.

Snowstorm smiled at him. “Hey Fiction.” He said. Fiction? That’s his name? Wow, I felt sorry for him. That’s a bad name, even for a pony. He’s obviously a writer, not a reader. Unless his talent was writing fiction, then I could possibly see it.

Fiction cast a glare at Snowstorm. “My name’s not Fiction.” He said. Oh, so it’s not? Well, are you gonna say your name? No? Well, then I guess I just have to mentally call him Fiction. “Anyway,” he said, startling me from my thoughts, and I noticed he was right in my face, like he was gonna kiss me or something, “Sunshine, where’s Pop Tart? You said you knew where her new job was.” He said.

Shit with a brick. I knew no such thing! “Uh, she works at the bookstore now. It’s that way.” I said, pointing down the hall. He ran off, casting a thanks behind him as he went. That guy is a little creepy. I unintentionally breathed a sigh of relief, and drew the attention of Snowstorm.

“What was that sigh all about?” He asked. Damn, I needed something to save me. But what?

Oh yes! The truth! “He was a little creepy, being in my personal space.” I said. It was definitely true. The guy was creepy as fudge on a stick with a side of mustard.

He gave a snort of laughter. “Yeah, he needs to learn some space. Anyway, you wanna do a little shopping? I heard that new place just opened up, and I know you’ve been dying to go there.” He said. I hated shopping, but anything to keep me occupied.

I made a mental note to make a plan of action once I got the time. “Sure.” I said. We started to go down the hallway, but not before I took a quick peek behind me and saw Pinkie Pie standing there, giving me an uncharacteristically stern look. One that clearly said to me, “something is wrong here.” Before I could give a confused look, I was pulled along by Snowstorm into a growing crowd of ponies. I picked up my pace and fell in beside him.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will involve some shopping, more strange occurences, and maybe even an actual friend I know. Whatever the case may be, I'll be here with Snowstorm. I'm actually glad I'm doing this. It helps take my mind off things. Until next time!

- Sunshine.