• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 6,076 Views, 683 Comments

Across the Dimensional Divide - StrawberryGamer



You ever get that feeling you get when life, the universe, and everything hates you and decides you'd be better off as a mare in another dimension, but that universe hates you too? Because that's me. Right now.

  • ...
30
 683
 6,076

Rain on my Parade

There was nothing remarkable about Star’s house. It was a simple cottage, looking much like the rest of the town houses. I never found out what was inside regular Ponyville homes though. Turns out, not anything really special. Living room, kitchen, one bedroom, the usual. Just, ya know… ponified. I was mildly annoyed with the whole heart motif buildings had, but I just had to put up with it for a few days

She had a few card games, and I taught her one more, called Idiot. It’s one of my favorite card games, and I think of myself as pretty good at it. Star caught on quickly, and we played a few games. I won most of them, and after a few hours, we settled down for dinner. Star made hay and daisy sandwiches, which I first found odd, then after tasting one, I knew why. Again, pony taste buds baffle me. I’ll figure it out eventually. Overall, I found the afternoon uneventful. And really, what’s the point in me covering mundane events that have no purpose? Dumb filler is dumb. Moving on.

Star herself was very friendly. Cheerful, silly, and generally trying to keep me entertained. She did a better job of it than I did in the RV this morning. The thought of that made me think of my friends. Are they doing okay? Are they continuing the trip to see that Blueberry chick? I hope things aren’t going too badly for them.

These thoughts I took to bed with me as I entered Star’s bedroom. I would have been okay with sleeping on the couch, but Star insisted I slept with her and that her bed was big enough for two. Alright, fair enough for me. As I climbed into bed with her, it was rather comfy. Definitely comfier than what I’m used to sleeping on, and that really isn’t saying much. I snuggled into the blankets as Star climbed into bed. She chuckled at my show of comfort. “Comfy?” She asked. I gave a small nod and a “Mhmm” in reply.

I don’t know when I drifted off to sleep. Could have been instant or it could have been a few minutes. Either way, next thing I knew I was in a very familiar looking meadow with a familiar looking sky and a familiar looking blue alicorn walking towards me. “...Princess Luna? What are you doing here? And are you the one that I’m already acquainted with or are the Luna from the world I’m currently in?” I asked.

She looked confused for a moment. “Other worlds? Well, I guess that explains the odd message Twilight sent. So tell me young mare, why are you here?”

“I was pushed into your Equestria.” I replied. “Well, kicked. Hard. It hurt.” I flopped down onto the dream grass and sighed. “I’m just kinda getting sick of the shit I’m being put through for someone else’s agenda.”

Luna gave me a stern look. “Well ignoring your vulgar language, I’d like to offer an invitation. My sister and I would enjoy an opportunity to meet a visitor from another world. As long as you behave yourself, that is.” She stated.

I nodded. “Right. Sorry. I’m just kinda upset. That’s all. Didn’t mean any disrespect.” I apologized quickly. “So, um… An invitation? To visit? In Canterlot?”

Luna nodded. “Yes. If you could come to Canterlot at your earliest convenience, Celestia and I have a few questions and concerns. Nothing bad, just curious.”

I gave a shrug. Okay, nothing’s wrong with this. I’m just gonna go to Canterlot, talk to the princesses, play tourist a bit, then come back. What could go wrong? “Alright. I’ll take the first train to Canterlot I can.”

“Great. I’ll tell the guards to look out for you and let you in. Once we’re done, you’re free to look around Canterlot if you wish.” Luna explained.

“Alright, sounds like a plan. See ya.” I waved her off, but she didn’t leave. “What? Is there more?” I asked.

“Just one more thing. You didn’t happen to come with any friends, did you?”

I paused. “Um… As far as I’m aware, I was kicked in alone. I don’t think anyone else joined me. I certainly was alone on arrival until those fillies found me. And kicked me again. I’m getting kinda tired of it, to be honest.”

Luna smiled. “Well those three can be a hoofful. I like to think I helped them along though.” So Luna’s met the three troublemakers? Cuul beens. “Well the dawn is upon us, so I must be off. I will see you in Canterlot.” She said, taking off towards the moon, which had started setting over the horizon, being replaced with a bright yellow sun. The dream faded away as light overtook my vision.

I awoke, staring right into Starstreak’s face. Her eyes were already open. “Well good morning to you!” She said, very brightly. And startlingly. The combination of her face being very close to mine and her sudden increase in volume, somehow propelled me up, backwards, and out of bed. I landed flat on my back on the floor. I dunno how I did that. I blame cartoon logic. Her face once again popped into view as I lay on the floor, cringing in pain. “Oh sweet Celestia, are you okay?” She asked. Well at least she cares. Unlike some ponies...

“Yeah… perfectly fine. It’s just pain… Ow.” I groaned, slowly pulling myself off the floor and onto my feet. Or hooves. Whichever you prefer. “Well that’s one way to deliver a wake up call.” I gave my host a smile. “And good morning to you too. Got any plans for the next day or so?”

Star shook her head. “No, I’m free. Why?”

“Well, Princess Luna invited me to Canterlot. Apparently I attracted their attention, so they want to meet me. Ask a few questions. I don’t want to go alone, so… Wanna come with me?” I offered.

She seemed to think it over for a few seconds before nodding. “Sure, I’d love to. It would be great to see the princesses. Though, I would need an outfit to wear. Oh wait, Rarity was fixing one up for me. Maybe it’s done by now. Come on, let’s go see.” She said, beckoning me to follow.

I was reasonably hesitant. “Um, it’s a bit early. Let’s have breakfast first, and then go see Rarity.” I suggested. Anything to keep me away from that fashionista just a little longer.

Star agreed with me. “Good idea. I am pretty hungry. I’ll fix up some breaky.”

I nodded. “Okay. I’ll have some oatmeal then, please.” I went into the main room while Star entered the kitchen to prepare our breakfast. I looked out the window and saw a few ponies going about their morning. It looked like the pegasi were working on placing clouds across the sky. “Hmm… Looks like rain is on today’s forecast…”

“Aww… Rain, seriously? Why didn’t they tell me?” Star’s voice came from the kitchen.

“Probably a recent decision. Why? You a weather pony?” I asked.

“Yeah, though I’m on my week off.”

“You got a week off? Sweeeeet.” For some reason, saying that just didn’t sound right with my mare voice.

“Yeah. Why, don’t you get time off?” Star asked.

I shrugged. “Well I never had a job. Back home, I was just a teen trying to get through my last years of school… and barely scraping by with my grades… So I don’t know how the employment system works where I’m from.”

“Ah, well that’s too bad. Anyway, oatmeal’s done.” Star came out with two bowls of oatmeal balanced on her wings, I sat down beside her and took one of the bowls. “I hope you like cinnamon.”

I grinned as I could smell the cinnamon in the oatmeal. “I love cinnamon.” I said, digging into my breakfast eagerly. It was delicious. I enjoyed the microwave oatmeal at home, but this was something else. I don’t know if Star was a good cook, the oatmeal was just naturally better in Equestria, or pony tastebuds. I’m gonna say all three were contributing factors.

I finished in record time and found myself with my mouth in the bowl. Funny, I don’t remember digging in like an animal. And here I thought my blackouts were over… I looked over at Star, who was giving me a look of surprise. “I didn’t know my cooking was that good. I take it you enjoyed it?” She asked, her face going from surprised to amused.

I removed my muzzle from the bowl and used a napkin Star provided just then to wipe the oatmeal from my face. “Um… Yea, it was good. Sorry, kinda blacked out for a moment.” I looked away, kinda embarrassed at that display.

Star giggled and put a hoof on my shoulder. “Hey, it’s okay. I’m just glad somepony likes my cooking, even if it was just oatmeal.” She said. I looked at her as she got up and looked out the window. The sky was completely overcast. “Looks like you were right. It is gonna rain. I’ll go get a couple umbrellas for us.”

I continued to sit there as Star went looking for umbrellas. Looking out the window, I saw the rain start to fall. Quite fitting, considering this could be very bad day if things go wrong. Though, how could it go wrong? I was finally away from Bitchlestia and I could do what I wanted at my own pace without fear of getting my mind wiped. Though, now I have to show my face to another set of rulers, so good first impressions would be nice. Even if that means… I gotta wear a dress… Shit.

Star came back with an umbrella and what I believe was a folded up poncho. “Well I could only find one umbrella, but there’s a poncho here. Which do you want?” She asked.

“I’ll take the poncho.” She nodded and tossed me the poncho. It was red and smelled slightly of lemons. I don’t know why, and I’d rather not find out. Putting it on was a bit of a hassle, but I did it. “Alright, I’m ready. Let’s go.”

Star led the way outside. I followed close behind, the poncho doing its job of keeping me mostly dry. As we walked down the streets of Ponyville, I saw a few other ponies out and about, most with some sort of rain protection. There was even one cheeky unicorn using magic to block the rain.

As we walked, I noticed Pinkie Pie bouncing up to us. She had one of those silly umbrella hats on. “Hi hi hi Sunny Sun Sun. Isn’t this such a super fantastical day?” She asked, bouncing along beside me.

Star looked back at her as if she were crazy. “Um… You do realize it’s raining, right?” She asked.

Pinkie continued bouncing along, oblivious to Star’s question. Something was up… “By any chance… are you planning a party?”

Pinkie shot up and stared at me, getting right in my face. “Oh my gosh! Are you psychic?”

I put a hoof to her muzzle and slowly pushed her back. “Yeeeeaaaahhhh… Let’s go with that… Anyway, you might want to put that off for a bit. We’ve gotta get to Canterlot ASAP. Star’s picking up something from Rarity, then we’re taking the first train to Canterlot.” I explained.

Pinkie frowned and looked disappointed. “Oh. Well you’ll be back though, right?” She asked, hope returning into her voice.

I nodded. “I’ll be back. And when I do come back, you can throw me the best Pinkie Party you can with the couple extra days you have to plan it.” I said, giving my words as much enthusiasm as I could.

Pinkie springed right back, as peppy as ever. “You got it Sunny! I’ll make this the best “Welcome to Equestria” party EVER!” And with that, she went off to parts unknown. Probably a secret party planning room where she stalks everyone to learn everything about them…

Nah. That’s just silly.

Star and I gave each other a look. “I hope you know what you got yourself into.” She warned, like I put myself in danger.

I scoffed at the warning. “After what I’ve been through, I need a goddamn party. I have confidence in Pinkie. She is Ponyville’s Premier Party Pony after all. Now let’s get to Rarity. I’d rather not delay any longer.” Star nodded and we kept walking. Soon, Rarity’s boutique was in view. I knew I’d have to face this sooner or later. If Rarity has her say, I won’t be leaving that building without a dress in my bags or on my body. It’s just a risk I have to take though. So, moving on ahead, I opened the door and let Star inside, to which she thanked me for. After she entered, I did, and the door of the one place I feared more than anywhere else in Equestria shut behind me.

Author's Note:

Half of this was written yesterday. So, with that said... WHY CAN'T I FOCUS THAT MUCH MORE OFTEN!?