• Published 24th Mar 2013
  • 6,084 Views, 683 Comments

Across the Dimensional Divide - StrawberryGamer



You ever get that feeling you get when life, the universe, and everything hates you and decides you'd be better off as a mare in another dimension, but that universe hates you too? Because that's me. Right now.

  • ...
30
 683
 6,084

Another day, another plot twist.

“What do you want, Caboose?”
-Tucker
“I want a pony.”
-Caboose
--Red vs. Blue

Oh, my head hurts. Is this gonna become normal for me? Waking up each morning with an aching head? It makes me consider staying in bed. Damn, what happened last night? There was Vinyl Scratch… didn’t she invite me to a party? Yeah, and I went to the party. Oh candy buckets, I went to a party with Vinyl Scratch. If my head wasn’t hurting, I would squee right now. Meh, it can wait. My head hurts too much. What the fudge caused it anyway? Maybe a hangover? No, it couldn’t have been. I don’t drink. Then again, I can’t remember anything. Fucking hell, dude. Whoever got me drunk is getting some good old fashioned revenge. As Bugs Bunny would say, “I hope you realize this means war.” First thing’s first. Where am I? I opened my eyes, letting them slowly adjust to the bright light coming through the window, when I noticed a few things.

First thing I noticed was that the walls were painted blue. My walls were yellow. The second thing was that there was various stereo and other sound and music equipment lying around the room. The third thing was that something on the bed I was on besides me moved. I felt something wrap around my torso. I looked down to see two white hooves wrapped around me. Oh shisno, did I go home with someone else? No, that’s wrong. Totally wrong. I did not deserve that treatment. Oh, the bastard is going to get what’s coming to him. No one violates me like that!

I reached down to pick up a conveniently placed baseball bat, and swung it behind me. I was rewarded with a cry of pain and the hooves being released. I quickly jumped back off the bed to get a better look at the guy responsible for putting me in his bed with him. I was not expecting a white unicorn mare with a blue mane and tail and magenta eyes to look back at me. “Dude, what’s your problem? I let you sleep with me and you hit me with a bat?” She asked, one hoof rubbing where I hit her.

I gave the best “wut” face I could. “Why exactly did you let me sleep with you? What happened last night anyway?” I asked.

Vinyl shrugged. “After Twilight got you drunk, Stud Muffin tried to take you away. I stopped him. You’re welcome. I brought you on stage and you told me your story. After that, I found out that you are one crazy party pony.” She explained to me.

Okay, I had a few questions about her explanation. “Twilight got me drunk? As in Twilight Sparkle? Why the hell would she even think about doing that to me?” I asked, a bit of rage building for the lavender unicorn.

Vinyl could only shrug from her spot on the bed. “Beats me. Anyway, why did you hit me with a bat?” She asked, giving me a stern look.

I felt like doing one of those anime sweatdrops, but since I’m a cartoon pony, not an anime pony, I could only chuckle nervously. “Hehe… Sorry Vinyl. I thought you were someone else. I only saw your hooves. Wait a minute.” I said as a disturbing thought came to mind. “Were you-“

“No, I wasn’t. I don’t work that way.” She cut me off, and I breathed a sigh of relief. “Sorry about that, but you wouldn’t let go of me last night, so I had no choice but to let you sleep on my bed with me. Tavi is gonna chew my head off over it.” She explained. “Oh, and then she’s gonna chew your head off too.” She added quickly. Well fudge, I like my head unchewed.

I took a glance around the room. “Nice room. Very musicy.” I said. Musicy is now a word. Deal with it.

Vinyl smiled. “Yeah. You should see Tavi’s room. It’s all classical and stuff.” She said, giving an amused snort. Hey, I didn’t mind the classical genre any more than I minded Vinyl’s wubstep subgenre. To me, the only bad music was rap and R&B. I never understood them, and I never will. I like classical, jazz, country, pop, rock, and others. Yeah, I have a very wide taste in music. I’m not gonna tangent at this point because you all obviously want me to keep going.

I laughed. “Yep, but she has different tastes in music. Not that I mind though. I like lots of music.” I said.

A British sounding voice spoke from behind me. “See Vinyl? There is somepony out there who can like more than one kind of music.” She said. I turned around to see Octavia standing in the doorway, her mane and tail freshly groomed and her bowtie right there on her neck. “Now then, it’s good to meet you Sunshine. I’m Octavia, Vinyl’s roommate.” She said, giving a slight bow to me, showing her respect.

I swear I blushed, though only slightly. “Good to meet you Octavia. Just please don’t bow like that. There’s nothing to bow to me about.” I said nervously. I didn’t like this kind of treatment.

She giggled. “The humble type, I see. We’ll get along just fine.” She said. “Now, do either of you want breakfast? I found this wonderful recipe for something called French toast.”

I think I may have squeed at that point. “I would love some!” I said happily. I love French toast. It is awesome. It’s better when you spread awesome sauce over it. When I say awesome sauce, I mean syrup. It’s good.

Vinyl laughed at my excitedness. It’s a word now. “Sounds like you’ve had it before. Alright, if Sunny likes it, then I’ll eat it too. Make us a big batch, will ya Tavi?” She asked.

Octavia rolled her eyes. “Of course, Your Highnesses.” She said, giving a small giggle as she went downstairs. It’s good to joke like that. It keeps friendships tight.

Vinyl turned to face me. “Okay, now that you’re sober, can you answer a few questions?” She asked. She levitated her glasses to her face and rested them above her horn.

I nodded. “Besides the one you just asked me? Sure.” I answered, and we both chuckled at that.

Vinyl put a foreleg around me. “I like your humor kid. As for my question, do you really come from a different dimension?” She asked.

I froze. “Please don’t think I’m crazy. I don’t want to be shipped to an insane asylum.” I said quickly. No matter how much I deserve it. I added to myself.

Vinyl looked concerned. “No, I don’t think you’re crazy.” She said, her foreleg still wrapped around me. I pushed it away. Vinyl’s concern grew. “I said you aren’t crazy. I believe you.” She said.

I was stunned. “You… believe me?” I asked hopefully. Vinyl nodded, smiling again. I don’t know what came over me at that point. I felt tears in my eyes and my body just moved on its own to tackle the poor DJ in a hug. I felt so relieved to have someone believe my story. With an ally, I could find my way home easier. I wouldn’t be alone anymore. Well, I’m not really alone, but I would be without help getting home. I couldn’t help myself. I cried out in joy. “Oh thank you so much! I don’t know what I would do without you!” I eventually managed to pull myself away from the hug and wipe a few tears away. “I-I’m sorry. I have no idea what came over me.” I apologized.

Vinyl smiled softly. “It’s okay Sunshine. I’m here for you.” She said, and straightened her glasses. “Now then, if you want to talk about your life before all this, you’re welcome to. All you told me last night was that you’re a human from another dimension. Then you told me the gist of what happened yesterday. I must say, that Stud Muffin guy is stubborn as buck. You are likely to see him again, and he’s gonna try harder. He really likes you. Especially your…” She trailed off.

I grimaced. I knew exactly where she was going with that statement. “How about we wait until after breakfast? We can walk and talk then.” I suggested. Vinyl nodded in agreement. “Good, now let’s see if Octavia is finished. I’m starving. Of course, hunger is constant for me, so I can’t be complaining.” I said, and left the room, gliding down the stairs. “Ha! Take that stairs!” I yelled in triumph. Damn stairs will never get the better of me! I win!

Vinyl walked down the stairs. “You don’t know how to walk down stairs?” She asked.

I shook my head. “Nah, but I have these bitchin’ things instead.” I answered, giving my wings a good flap to emphasize my point. I ended up airborne from the flap and decided to hover for a bit. “See? The stairs’ arguments are all invalid. I can fly.” I landed back down and looked smugly at the stairs.

Vinyl laughed. “You are a riot. You know that, right? I’m so glad I found you. Tavi’s humor is pretty dull.” She said, wrapping her foreleg around me again. I didn’t mind it. We were now good buds, so it didn’t matter. To make things better, my hangover was gone! I was surprised at that. I thought they took longer to get rid of. More pony magic!

“I happen to think my humor is rather funny.” Octavia’s voice sounded from the entryway to the kitchen. She was standing there with a spatula held in her hoof. How ponies are able to do that are in the same category as Pinkie Pie logic to me. “Anyway, the food is done. Could you set up the table please?” She asked, and Vinyl gave a salute and a nod. “Good, then we can eat.”

Vinyl had the table set up in a jiffy. It’s easy when you’re a unicorn and can levitate stuff. As soon as she was done, she courteously levitated our food to the table. Well, Vinyl’s and mine. Octavia was left out and had to carry hers to the table, scowling at the unicorn as she did. Vinyl and I couldn’t help but let loose a few snickers at her expense. I took my seat, sitting “Lyra” style once again. Vinyl and Octavia sent me weird glances. “What?” I asked.

Vinyl pointed to my sitting position. “You sit like Lyra. Why is that?” She asked back.

I shrugged. “I’m used to sitting like this. It’s natural for me.” I answered. I dug in to the food once she had sat down, and was lost in the deliciousness. “This is really good. Thanks Octi.” I said.

Octavia seemed to ignore the nickname I gave her. “You’re welcome Sunshine.” She replied, taking her first bite. Her eyes widened, and her eating pace quickened. “So, I talked to your sister last night. I had no idea you were related to Ocean Wave.” She said.

Vinyl nearly choked on her food. “No way, that was THE Ocean Wave? Why didn’t you tell me?” She exclaimed, pointing at me. What was with her? Is my sister famous or something? “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me your sister was the daughter of the most famous surfer in Equestria.” She said. Well, that was convenient. Why the fudge was everything so convenient? I sent her a glance. She seemed to remember. “Oh. Right. Sorry. We’ll talk more later.” I grinned. She learns fast.

I finished the last of my toasty woasty and got up from the table. “Thanks for the food Octavia.” I said, trying to be polite to the refined cello player.

She seemed to positively respond to that, and smile brightly. “You’re very welcome Sunshine. Glad to see somepony around here with some manners.” She said. Right on cue, I let out a burp. “Well, some manners.” She corrected herself, and sighed.

I left shortly after with Vinyl. “So, what kind of questions do you want to ask me? I’ll answer anything you’ve got.” I said.

Vinyl walked alongside me on the sidewalk. I had no idea where we were going. “Okay, so how are you enjoying your time as a pony?” She asked. Decent first question.

“Yeah, it’s interesting. I had to YouTube how to walk though. What surprised me the most was how useful these stubby hooves are. These things are magical, aren’t they?”

“Yeah, though I never understood it.”

“It’s most likely natural selection and evolution, or some kind of shiz like that.”

“How about your wings? How did you manage to get them working?” Another decent question.

“I’m not totally sure. I guess it was mental work. I can feel the muscles, but my brain registers them differently.” I gave a nervous flutter of my wings. “They even respond to emotional cues.”

“I never thought about it like that. Anyway, I have one more question.”

“Shoot.”

“Are you a lesbian now?” I swear, if I had a drink, Luna would have felt it from the moon. That’s how hard of a spit take I would have done.

“Why the fuck would you ask that? No!”

“So you’re gay?”

"No!" Wait, this is a rhetorical question. Oh, you bastard…

“So you’re bi?”

“Goddammit! You know what? I’m not anything right now! I will not ship anything! No shipping allowed!” I think I can safely say I am done with this conversation.

Vinyl laughed and rolled her eyes. “Whatever dude. Something is going to happen though, whether you like it or not.”

“No! I refuse!” Seriously, when I am going through something like this, the last thing I want is those kinds of feelings creeping up on me like Slenderman. You know what? I should see if I can beat that game. I can totally one-shot that. No, tangent be gone!

Vinyl stopped walking. “Okay, we’re here.” She said. Wait, where were we going? I looked up in front of me. It was a big building with the word “Walmart” on the front. Walmart? We’re going to fucking Walmart? I should have known Vinyl would try to troll me like this.

Vinyl entered through the automatic doors and I hurried to follow her, despite how much I didn’t want to. I hate shopping. “Okay, you got me. Why are we here?” I asked.

Vinyl turned around and smirked. “That’s one of life’s great mysteries, isn’t it?” She countered, and walked over to the clothing section, as if to openly mock me. “You need clothes right?” She asked.

I shook my head. “I already have a full wardrobe, despite the fact that no one wears any clothes. Seriously, why do ponies have clothes if they’re optional? It makes no sense to me.” I said.

Vinyl shrugged. “I don’t know. The option is there for those who want it.” She said. The unicorn looked around before deciding to explore the appliances. “Hey, do you know any good blenders? I accidentally broke the last one.” She said.

I don’t want to know how she could accidentally break a blender. “I have a Ninja one at home. They work decently.” I said. I’m not a blender expert. How am I expected to know these things?

Either way, Vinyl took my advice and levitated up a blender, then realized she had nothing to put it in. “Hey, Sunny, could you go get a basket or something?” She asked. Of course, I have to be the basket fetcher.

I went to find the basket, when my big blue pony eyes fell upon a line of carts. My wings twitched, and I realized the only time I used them was gliding down the stairs. I have wings, and I should be taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity. I pulled out a cart from the line and pushed it, using my wings to propel me faster. Oh, this was going to be good. I pushed the cart around the corner and jumped in. I felt like Scootaloo on her scooter. I kept my wings going, angled to achieve forward thrust instead of upward flying type stuff. It felt awesome to do this.

Sadly, such awesomeness must end, as it did when I ended up crashing into an unsuspecting pony. I fell out of the cart and we tumbled a few yards until we came sliding to a stop. It goes without saying that it hurt quite a bit. After I picked myself up off the floor, I turned to see the pony I hit. She had a midnight blue coat with a long blue and black striped mane. Her tail matched the mane, like most ponies do. Her cutie mark consisted of some sort of constellation. I’m not knowledgeable in astronomy, so I wouldn’t know much about it. The horn from her head gave her away as a unicorn. She frowned at me. “Watch where you’re going next time.” She told me.

“Sorry. I couldn’t help myself. It was just too tempting to ride the cart.” I said. It was totally worth it though.

Her frown relaxed. “I’m sure it was. I’m Starry Night. What’s your name?” She asked.

“I’m Sunshine. Nice to meet ya.” I greeted. That name was starting to feel natural now. Is this a result of my extended stay in this body? Is this Twilight’s fault? I bet it is. She obviously has a plan for me, so I need to find out what.

“Well Sunshine, I’m sure we’ll meet again if the stars align just so. Bye for now.” Starry Night said, walking away. What an odd character… Oh well. I still need to get the cart to Vinyl.

I found Vinyl looking over stereo systems. She smiled when she noticed me. “It’s about time you got here. Take a look at these things. They suck.” She said, putting the blender and a few CDs she found in the cart.

I looked at the stereos. “Well of course. This is just Walmart, after all. They prefer quantity over quality. Try Best Buy if you want some better stuff, or even better, look the stuff up online. I don’t know much though, so I can’t tell you where to go for the best deal.” I said.

Vinyl shrugged. “Whatever. I just need to pick up a few more things, and then we can go.” She said, taking the cart. We looked at radios and other sound related devices. Vinyl seemed very interested in all this, though it’s really no surprise. When we were done there, we hit the grocery aisles. I helped her pick up what she needed. Helping makes it go by faster. That seemed to be the end of it, so Vinyl paid for all the stuff and we left.

As we were leaving, I noticed a bit of purple from the corner of my eye. When I turned my head, the purple was gone. I knew it was Twilight spying on me. It looks like she dropped something in her haste to get out of my sight. I picked it up. It was a notebook with words “Projects for the Princess.” Stamped over it, in big red letters, were the words “Top Secret.”

Vinyl looked at what I held in my hoof. “Dude, that is so mysterious. Come on; let’s get back to my place. We can read it there.” She said. I nodded and followed her.

Whatever was in this this notebook, I felt would either solve my problems, or dig myself into a bigger one. Whichever it was, I knew I would have to confront Twilight about it, and maybe even Celestia herself. This could get interesting.

Author's Note:

This story has just crossed over into the Adventure genre. Also, added Crossover due to the countless references I'm making.