• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 6,316 Views, 107 Comments

Keeping Secrets - Soniclink137



Rainbow Dash has told Scootaloo something that she is now hiding from everypony else. Can Scootaloo get her to come out with it?

  • ...
10
 107
 6,316

Chapter 1

“Soarin’!” the captain of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire, called out. The yellow pegasus with a fiery orange mane was getting really impatient with the delay for practice that day. And she was about to rout out the cause of the delay.

“Yes captain?” Soarin’ asked.

“Where in the hay is Rainbow Dash?!” Spitfire asked. “I told you both that just because Scootaloo has school off today does not mean you two can skip practice to spend some time with her!”

“I’m right here you know,” the pegasus filly said from afar. Scootaloo was watching the Wonderbolts from afar getting ready to enjoy seeing their awesome tricks. After some events which lead to Rainbow Dash adopting Scootaloo, Scootaloo has been living either with Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ at their loge in the Wonderbolt headquarters, or at Rainbow Dash’s cloud manor in Ponyville. While Scootaloo is normally in Ponyville for school, because she had the day off they decided to give Rainbow Dash the day off from taking her there.

To answer Spitfire’s question Soarin’ said, “Well Rainbow Dash was still asleep when I got up this morning. I let her sleep because she usually has to get up early in the mornings to take Scootaloo to school. Maybe she overslept?”

“Well then go to your room and wake up your wife!” Spitfire said pointing a hoof at Soarin’. “I don’t care if she knocks you one for it, just get Rainbow Dash here!”

Soarin’ sighed, not looking forward to that confrontation. “I’m on it Spitfire.”

“I’m here, I’m here!” Rainbow Dash came outside in a half-trot half-fly. The cyan pegasus with a rainbow mane quickly took her place in line next to Soarin’. Her mane was looking really unkempt, and her Wonderbolt uniform looked like she hastily put it on. She also had a very tired expression, and it almost looked sickly on her. Everybody noticed her, but she tried to act like nothing was going on. Of course, that didn’t stop Spitfire.

“Rainbow Dash, what is wrong with you?” Spitfire asked. “You look horrible today. Did you not get any sleep last night or something?”

“I don’t think that’s the problem,” Soarin’ said to his wife, also looking at her with concern. “You were sleeping fine when I woke up this morning.”

“I’m fine,” Rainbow Dash lied. “It’s nothing.” But as soon as she said that she made a loud burp. After that loud burp a smell came from her mouth that caused the Wonderbolt to Rainbow Dash’s left to back up and Soarin’ to be even more concerned about her health.

“Dash, are you sure you’re ok?” Soarin’ asked. “I’m sorry Dashie, but your breath smells worse than when Fleetfoot pranked you into drinking rotten milk.” Rainbow Dash gave him a look. “But your breath normally smells good,” Soarin’ said in order to save himself.

“I’m sure she’s just fine,” Scootaloo said after coming closer to see what was going on. “This is Rainbow Dash we’re talking about. Nothing can hurt her.”

“What happened this morning Rainbow Dash?” Spitfire asked.

“Nothing,” Rainbow Dash quickly said, but as another smell wafted that excuse went away quickly. “Ok I might have…thrown up a little this morning,” Rainbow Dash admitted. “But that’s probably from something I ate last night. It’s nothing to worry about. I can still fly even with this sickness.”

“Rainbow Dash I want you to go see a doctor now!” Spitfire said. “I don’t care if you think it ‘nothing’ I want you to make sure of that!”

“But aren’t we learning a bunch of new tricks today?” Rainbow Dash asked. “I don’t want to be gone for that?”

“Rainbow Dash, your loyalty is admirable, but that was an order! Soarin’ or I can give you a rundown of what we learned when you get back, but for now go!” Spitfire said, making sure that is understood she means business.

Rainbow Dash looked ready to argue, but she knew Spitfire was not going to let up on this point. Not to mention Soarin’ would probably come in eventually and then it would be two to one, not counting Scootaloo. So grudgingly, Rainbow Dash took off for doctor’s office in Canterlot below.

“Ehh you guys will see,” Scootaloo said. “I’m sure Rainbow Dash will come back from the doctors learning she is completely fine.”

“Better we send her away and learn she is fine then we let her practice and she and possibly others gets hurt,” Spitfire said. She moved her focus back to the Wonderbolts. “All right everypony! Let’s take off and get to work! We need to try out best even though we have a vacant spot!”

“Hey, maybe I can take that vacant spot!” Scootaloo said hopefully.

“No!” more than half the Wonderbolts said.

Scootaloo was looking down, but Spitfire said in order to raise her spirits, “maybe someday Scootaloo, but your still much too inexperienced for now.” Scootaloo looked happier and flew back to her earlier spot to continue watching. Wave Chill gave Spitfire a surprised look. “Train that look to the sky Wave Chill, we’ve got work to do,” Spitfire said. “Everypony up!”

~

Scootaloo was nervously passing in front of the entrance to the Wonderbolt H.Q. If any of the Wonderbolts happened to pass by she would act like nothing is wrong. She didn’t want anypony to think she is nervous even though she is. Rainbow Dash has been at the doctor’s office all day, and Scootaloo was starting to get worried.

She looked over the side of the clouds and saw the many colors beyond Canterlot. Canterlot itself doesn’t have any trees in it, however because it is high up already and the Wonderbolt H.Q is even higher in the sky, Scootaloo got to see the orange colors all around. She doesn’t know exactly why, but Scootaloo has always found the fall colors comforting. And even though it is still quite early in the fall, there are still a few colors to be seen.

Eventually Rainbow Dash finally flew up from the clouds and landed in front of Scootaloo. As soon as Scootaloo saw that Rainbow colored mane, she put on her best confident face to hide her relief.

“Hey Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo said calmly. “So, you’re perfectly fine right?”

Rainbow Dash put on a nervous face and said, “Well Scootaloo…” As soon as Scootaloo got worried Rainbow Dash smiled and said, “Just kidding you Scoots! Naw, I’m not only fine, I’m better than fine.”

“Really?” Scootaloo asked. “What did the doctor say?”

“Well Scootaloo, according to the doctor I’ve got an awesome new foal on the way!” Rainbow Dash said proudly.

“A new…foal?!” Scootaloo asked. She took that in for a few seconds before getting a smile on her face. “So that means…?”

“Yeah, we get another awesome kid to our family!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” Scootaloo squeed. “That’s great.”

“You bet squirt,” Rainbow Dash said. “Anyways, would you mind keeping this a secret for now? I want to be sure I’m the first to tell Soarin’ about it. After I tell him, then you can make sure to spread the word.”

“Sure Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo said.

“So anyways, how was practice today?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Ehh…I got bored and left before I got to see much,” Scootaloo said. “Watching ponies learn a new trick isn’t nearly as fun as learning a new trick myself.”

“Yeah I guess,” Rainbow Dash said. “Aw well, I was hoping you would tell me a bit about it so that I wouldn’t have to listen to Spitfire drill it into my head. But then again, depending on how dangerous the trick is I probably don’t want to be trying it right now. I could also get a few days off which means I can get some of my much needed afternoon naps back.”

“Uhh…Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo asked.

“I just rambled on like I’m Pinkie Pie didn’t I?” Rainbow Dash asked. Scootaloo nodded. “Sorry about that. According to the doctor I’m going to do that a lot soon apparently.” Rainbow Dash chuckled. “Makes me almost worried about what will happen when this happens to Pinkie Pie. Her stallion better be careful then.”

Both Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo enjoyed a good laugh at that thought. The two of them got many strange looks from passing by Wonderbolts, but they didn’t care. They both were having fun, and it didn’t matter to Scootaloo what the other ponies thought about them. And while it did for Rainbow Dash, that only caused her to stop a bit faster than Scootaloo.

“Anyways Scoots, I’m off to go tell Soarin’,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’ll see you later.”

“See ya Rainbow Dash!”

~

Rainbow Dash was en route to the room that she and Soarin share. She passed by a few Wonderbolts on the way and most of them asked how she is, but she told all who asked that she was just fine. Rainbow Dash not only wanted to be the first to tell Soarin’, but besides Scootaloo Rainbow Dash wanted Soarin’ to be the first to know.

Rainbow Dash did notice something was off with everypony she passed by on the way to her room, but she didn’t really pay attention. She was more interested in getting to Soarin’ and telling him the good news. Maybe if she remembers to after telling Soarin’, she would ask him about what happened. But she probably won’t.

She reached her door and opened it up. Instead of seeing Soarin’ napping in the bed or maybe eating a piece of pie he stole from the mess hall, Soarin’ was spread on the ground groaning in pain. His Wonderbolt suit was sprawled next to the wall in an unorganized mess. As soon as Rainbow Dash saw him, she was more worried about his condition then telling him about hers.

“Soarin’ are you…?” Rainbow Dash asked, but was cut off in the middle of her question.

“Yeah I’m fine,” Soarin’ said sharply. Rainbow Dash winced at the tone of his voice. Soarin’ managed to see Rainbow Dash’s expression so he apologized. “Sorry about that Dash. Practice was really rough today, and I’m really sore because of it. And please, don’t make any jokes about how I’m Sorein’ right now. I’m not in the mood right now.”

“So the trick was that hard to do huh?” Rainbow Dash asked. It must have been, she thought. Soarin’ is almost never in a bad mood. Let alone in this bad of a mood.

“Yeah, you can be glad you weren’t there,” Soarin’ said. “I don’t think Spitfire was really sure on how hard this trick was, because even she was having trouble with it.” Soarin’ groaned again. “So anyways…”

“So has Spitfire said anything about continuing to try that trick, or are we going to quit trying that trick?” Rainbow Dash asked. She knew the answer to that question already, but she is using that as a way to stall the inevitable question that Soarin’ is going to ask.

“She is trying to think of a different way of going at this trick, but yeah were still doing it eventually,” Soarin’ said. “We’ve had to learn hard tricks and formations before and we didn’t give up then. So I don’t think Spitfire will let us give up on this trick. Even if half of the team wants her to try something else.”

“Hey, I’m sure we will get it eventually,” Rainbow Dash said confidently.

Soarin’ took a deep breath. “Easy for you to say,” Soarin’ said. “You were at the doctor’s office all day. Speaking of which…”

“I think I’m going to go see Spitfire and get a rundown of what went on today,” Rainbow Dash interrupted. “See ya around Soarin’.” She then went out of the room as fast as possible before Soarin’ once again went back to the question.

When she got outside the room she took a deep breath. She looked back into the room and said to herself “I can’t tell Soarin’ I’m pregnant now. He’ll take it badly and he won’t be happy with it. I’ll just…I’ll just avoid him until he’s feeling better. When he’s less sore then I’ll tell him about the foal. Yeah, it’ll be just fine.”

Rainbow Dash looked back to her room sadly before walking away.

~

Thinking about it now, that was probably the stupidest think I’ve done. Soarin’ has told me several times that he has always wanted a foal. So the idea that he would take the fact that I’m going to have a foal badly was really not my brightest move. But hay, I wasn’t really thinking about that at the moment.

Author's Note:

And now we actually get to the main plot of this fic. Oh boy is this going to be fun.