• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 6,315 Views, 107 Comments

Keeping Secrets - Soniclink137



Rainbow Dash has told Scootaloo something that she is now hiding from everypony else. Can Scootaloo get her to come out with it?

  • ...
10
 107
 6,315

Prologue

Rainbow Dash is stilling in a metal chair in the waiting room of the Canterlot hospital and is not very happy about it. After giving a quick description of what was happening to her, Rainbow Dash was told to wait there until the nurse came, and Rainbow Dash has been there for a few minutes now and has lost all her patience.

“Rainbow Dash, isn’t this nostalgic?” the nurse asked as soon as she walked in just before Rainbow Dash went up to the desk and asked what is taking so long. Rainbow Dash looked up to her and saw a familiar face.

“Nurse Redheart?” Rainbow Dash asked, noting that she looked exactly like Nurse Redheart. In fact the only difference Rainbow Dash could see between this nurse and Nurse Redheart was she had a horn and the Cutie Mark, which was still the same thing only of a different color.

“No that would be my niece in Ponyville,” the nurse said. “I’m nurse Blueheart.”

“Ok then…whatever,” Rainbow Dash said. She squirmed around in the chair she was in, finding it really uncomfortable. Why the hay do they use metal chairs for a hospital? It’s really annoying having to sit in one of these. “Anyways, what do you mean about nostalgic? This is my first time in here!”

“I’m not talking about seeing you here,” the unicorn mare said. “This reminds me so much of when I would see your father in here because of some battle injury or just to keep up with his physicals.”

Rainbow Dash just rolled her eyes at the mention of her father. Her father, Spectral Flare, used to be a member of the royal guard a long time ago before Rainbow Dash was even born. Because of that while she is spending time in Canterlot she is recognized by some ponies as Spectral Flare’s daughter due to her rainbow colored mane. Rainbow Dash normally wouldn’t really care, but for some reason that is really bugging her right now. Among other things like that chair she is in.

“Yeah yeah yeah,” Rainbow Dash said. “So doc, can we get this over with already? I’m perfectly fine and ready to go back and tell Spitfire this was a waste of time right?”

“Well we should just talk to be sure,” the nurse said. She then went on a completely different subject. “By the way, how is my niece doing in Ponyville?”

I’d say you’re random but I’m friends with Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash thought.

“You’re niece is doing just fine,” Rainbow Dash said. “Now can we get back to what is happening to me?”

“Right,” the nurse said. She levitated up a clipboard and started asking some questions. “Now Rainbow Dash, how long have you been feeling sick during the mornings? And I want you to be honest with me. Spitfire is not going to necessarily hear this unless she needs to.”

“…About a week,” Rainbow Dash said in an almost sad voice. “I’ve been mostly keeping it to myself so that I don’t miss any practices. I feel fine after a while anyways, so I don’t see any reason to worry anypony about that.” She then started in an angry voice. “It’s not like it matters! They shouldn’t worry about me! I can take care of myself!”

“You seem to be experiencing mood swings as well,” the nurse noted. “So has anything…interesting…happen within the past month?”

“Interesting as in?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“You and Soarin’ have been married for a while now haven’t you?” the nurse asked. “Around five months or so?”

“Yeah, and?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“That sounds like enough time for her to have been…” the nurse mumbled to herself while writing in her clipboard. She then looked at Rainbow Dash. “By the way, you’re a Wonderbolt right?”

“Uhh yeah,” Rainbow Dash said. “That’s kind of why I mentioned Spitfire.”

“How is my cousin Nurse Goldheart doing over in Baltimare?” the nurse asked.

“How the hay would I know?” Rainbow Dash asked. “I don’t usually go to any other hospital besides the one in Ponyville! I’m only here now because Spitfire forced me to? And what does all of this have to do with me anyways?”

“Hmm…yeah it is looking like that’s what it is,” Nurse Blueheart once again mused to herself.

Great, this is going to take forever isn’t it? Rainbow Dash thought. I’m going to be stuck in here in this room on this cold chair all day doing absolutely nothing except for talking to this random nurse. Ugg…Spitfire is so going to get it from me as soon as she is off duty.

“Well I didn’t think I would ever be doing this,” Nurse Blueheart said, finally turning her attention back to Rainbow Dash and back on topic.

“Doing what?” Rainbow Dash asked. She was starting to get really nervous. “Do I need to get some sort of surgery or something? I thought I only had some kind of stomach bug or something stupid like that.”

“No you don’t need any surgery Rainbow Dash,” Nurse Blueheart said. She was looking directly at Rainbow Dash. “I would have never guessed. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I don’t know why, but it is one of those days you just never forget no matter how long it has been since then.”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked, going back to annoyed.

“It was more than twenty years ago,” Nurse Blueheart one again mused to herself. “I was just getting started here at this hospital and they were the first two ponies I gave this news to. I remember both of their reactions too really well.”

“Mind cluing me in on what exactly you’re talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I would have never guessed in my entire career as a nurse that I would ever be giving the same news I gave to them to their child,” Nurse Blueheart continued musing to herself. “I feel my career has almost gone full circle.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Fine continues on with whatever rant you’re doing. I apparently don’t need to go anywhere anytime soon.”

“And you know, I think that you are sitting in the exact place that she was that day,” the nurse continued as if Rainbow Dash didn’t talk. “Now if only you had you’re stallion here on you’re left side then it would be exactly like back then.”

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on or should I just leave now and give Spitfire the ok?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Rainbow Dash, we should probably check just to make sure, but I think I know what it going on,” Nurse Blueheart said finally getting to the point. “Rainbow Dash, you are pregnant.”

“What?!” Rainbow Dash asked. “I’m…pregnant? As in I’m going to have a foal?”

“By the way have you seen my sister Nurse Whiteheart in Cloudsdale lately?”

“So…I’m going to have foal?” Rainbow Dash asked ignoring Nurse Blueheart’s questioning about her family.

“Not right now,” Nurse Blueheart said. “But you will eventually. Right now you’re only around one or two months along so you still have a long way to go.”

Rainbow Dash sat there thinking about what exactly this means. She is pregnant. She is going to have a foal sometime soon. In fact from what she knows, right now the foal is growing inside of her. Her every action will now not only affect her, but also the foal.

“Alright doc, what does this mean for me?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Have you…?” the nurse was about to ask, but Rainbow Dash put a hoof up.

“No I have not seen any of your relatives except for Nurse Redheart,” Rainbow Dash said. “So can we stay on topic?”

“Ok,” the nurse said. She was once again writing some things in her clipboard. “I want to do a few tests just to make sure we know how far along you are. Also you are going to need to go on a diet. Remember, you’re not just feeding yourself but your foal as well.”

“Great, I’m going to hate this diet aren’t I?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s a very lenient diet, but once you start getting cravings you might have a little difficulty keeping it,” Nurse Blueheart said. “I’d recommend keeping away from whatever you end up craving and have anypony you trust help keep you away from it. But as I said before, you should be fine. So long as you keep your vital nutrients up you should have no problem.”

“Ok anything else I should know?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I’d recommend coming back to the doctor’s office at least twice a month so that we can check on your foal and make sure he or she is developing at the right place,” the nurse said. “You can check in the hospital either here or Ponyville and we’ll make sure to pass the records between us. So don’t worry about that.”

“And what about practices?” Rainbow Dash asked. “How is this going to affect my Wonderbolt training?”

“For now you’re going to want to tone down your training as much as you can,” Nurse Blueheart explained. “Try not to do any dangerous tricks and keep your tricks mild anyways. If you aren’t careful then you…” the nurse stopped herself. “Just if you don’t want to go through a very depressing time I would recommend avoiding that.”

“Yeah, I can probably figure it out,” Rainbow Dash said looking at her stomach.

“You weren’t planning on having this foal weren’t you?” Nurse Blueheart asked.

“It’s not…it’s not that it’s just this is sort of shocking,” Rainbow Dash said. “Soarin’ wanted a foal for a while now, but I didn’t really think I was going to have one any time soon. And I guess I didn’t really know how it would feel until it happened. It just feels like, it’s happened now and I’m pretty much stuck with it. I just don’t really like having something happen that I can’t change.”

“You know adoption is an option if you’re not feeling sure about yourself,” the nurse said.

“No,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’m not going to abandon this foal. I’m going to do whatever I can to raise this kid. I’ve been parenting Scootaloo for a while now, so I think I’m ready for a foal. I hope I am anyways.”

“Do you want to know how you’re parents reacted when I told them about you?” the nurse asked.

“I already know,” Rainbow Dash said. “My dad told me a long time ago. He told me that when he was told my mom was pregnant with me, it was one of the worse moments of his life. He and my mom weren’t married yet when they learned that my mom was pregnant. So he either had to leave the Royal Guard and be with her, or cut ties with her to stay in the Royal Guard. Knowing how bad things would go for both her and me if he didn’t leave the Royal Guard he decided to take his leave and go to Cloudsdale with my mom. He really didn’t want to, but because of me he felt he had to.”

“But at the same time,” the nurse said cutting into Rainbow Dash’s speech, “when I asked them if they wanted to put you up for adoption, you’re father answered the same thing that you did. He said that he isn’t going to abandon you and he would do whatever it takes to raise you. You know, you get you’re loyalty from your father. He may not have liked the idea and may not have thought he was ready, but he was completely willing to take care of you. And while you weren’t born here, I did hear from your father later and he told me…”

“That while his worse moment of his life was when he learned my mom was pregnant with me, the best moment when I was finally born,” Rainbow Dash finished off. She looked at her stomach once more. “I guess I hope that I’ll feel the same way when this little filly or colt is born.”

“I’m sure you will,” Nurse Blueheart said. She held out a hoof for Rainbow Dash. “We should get those tests done just to check on the foal done soon so you can go tell the good news.”

“Alright,” Rainbow Dash said as she got up from her chair. “Let’s get this over with.”

~

So yeah, I learned that I was going to have a foal. That sounds pretty awesome right? And I thought it was. After going through it in my head a bit I actually grew to like the idea. I was starting to really like the idea of having a foal and was ready to go about my day. So all I needed to do is tell everybody about it and make sure they know. Sounds good right?

I kind of wish it was that easy. In fact, if it wasn’t for a certain filly and a certain colt I might not have ever told anypony about it. But I’m getting way too far ahead of myself. I should probably start like most books in Twilight’s library start. At the beginning of the day I learned that I was pregnant.

Author's Note:

Just so you know, the joke with all of the different nurses is sort of a parody of the Pokemon Anime where all of the Nurse Joy's were family members. I decided to do that for some extra comedy, and if I need a nurse that is probably how I'm going to do it.