• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 6,316 Views, 107 Comments

Keeping Secrets - Soniclink137



Rainbow Dash has told Scootaloo something that she is now hiding from everypony else. Can Scootaloo get her to come out with it?

  • ...
10
 107
 6,316

Chapter 4

“Rumble?!” Scootaloo asked out of surprise.

“Yeah it’s me,” Rumble said. “It’s been a while Scootaloo.”

“What are you doing here?” Scootaloo asked. “Shouldn’t you be in Ponyville?” Scootaloo knows Rumble from back there. Rumble was the first colt to officially join the Cutie Mark Crusaders and they both got to be pretty good friends. But after Scootaloo got her cutie mark just a few months after Rumble joined they didn’t manage to talk much as much as they used to. It also didn’t help that they have different classes at school.

“Well normally yeah, but ever since my brother made it into the Wonderbolts I’ve wanted him to show me around the place,” Rumble explained. “And since I’m finally off from school today and practices ended early for some reason today Thunderlane decided to show me around today.”

“So then where is Thunderlane now?” Scootaloo asked. She and Rumble were the only two ponies in this hallway.

“In the mess hall trying to talk to some mares,” Rumble said. “He’s been in there since I got here so I decided to look around the place on my own. Unfortunately I…kinda got lost.” Rumble gave a small chuckle thinking he probably sounded like a dork right now. “What about you Scootaloo?” Rumble asked. “Are you lost too?”

Scootaloo actually realized that while she isn’t ‘lost’ right now she wasn’t sure what part of the Wonderbolt headquarters she was in. She looked at the different doors of the Wonderbolts to help her figure out exactly where she was. The doors told her she was in the east wing of the headquarters.

“No I’m not lost,” Scootaloo said. She pointed to the doors on the right side of the room. “You see those doors?”

“Uhh yeah, what about them?” Rumble asked.

“Well those doors always have the Cutie Marks of whoever lives there on top of them,” Scootaloo said. “So if I’m lost I’ll usually just look on top of the doors to see where I am. It’s kind of useful when I want to go somewhere in here or am wandering randomly. If you look at those doors you can see Wave Chill’s Cutie Mark over one door and Fire Streak’s Cutie Mark over the other door. That means we’re in the East Wing.”

“Wow, you sure know a lot about this place,” Rumble said. He then mumbled “Why couldn’t Thunderlane tell me this when he brought me? Aw well, I guess he just forgot.”

“Thanks,” Scootaloo said.

“Would you mind…bringing me back to the mess hall?” Rumble asked. “I’d try and find it on my own but I don’t know which Wonderbolt lives whe…wait, if you know where each of the Wonderbolts live then do you know where Thunderlane’s room is?”

“Yeah, I know where it is. I just passed his room a few minutes ago,” Scootaloo said.

“So can you show me where it is?” Rumble asked.

“I thought you just wanted to go to the mess hall,” Scootaloo pointed out.

“Well yeah, but I’d also like to see my big brother’s room,” Rumble said.

“Well I’m busy right now!” Scootaloo said.

“You’re busy?” Rumble asked. “With what?”

“I need to find Rainbow Dash and get her and Soarin’ to talk,” Scootaloo said. “I’ll quickly show you to the mess hall, but that’s it.” Scootaloo started in the direction of the mess hall, but Rumble did not walk with her at first. Scootaloo stopped and looked back at him and said “Well come on!”

“Why do you need to get Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash to talk?” Rumble asked.

“I can’t tell you,” Scootaloo said. “All I can say is its important.”

“Well I just saw Rainbow Dash a few minutes ago,” Rumble said, “so I can show you where she is.”

“You can?” Scootaloo asked. “Where is she?”

“Follow me and I’ll show you,” Rumble said. He stared walking in the direction Scootaloo was just walking in, which was where Rumble came from. This time Scootaloo was staying still causing Rumble to look back. “What is it?” Rumble asked.

“Why do you want to help me?” Scootaloo asked.

“Because I want to help,” Rumble said. “Besides, it’s been a while since we’ve hung out together. Don’t worry, you’ll owe me one for this later, but for now we should probably go find Rainbow Dash before she leaves. She didn’t look like she was going to stay there for long.”

“Alright then let’s go,” Scootaloo said as she started running. Rumble got the clue and started running along with her.

While they were running Scootaloo said, “by the way, sorry I haven’t been hanging out with you lately.”

“Why haven’t you?” Rumble asked.

“Well after I graduated from the Cutie Mark Crusaders I was spending the time I wasn’t hanging out with Sweetie Bell and Apple Bloom training with Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo explained. “I can actually fly now thanks to her. So I guess I really didn’t have the time to spend with you. Sorry about that dude.”

“It’s alright Scootaloo,” Rumble said. They reached an area where they were forced to go left or right and Rumble said, “Take a right here.”

Scootaloo stopped and asked “Why?”

“Rainbow Dash is in the observatory upstairs,” Rumble explained as he looked back at Scootaloo. “And if I remember right the staircase to the observatory is to the right.”

“Well yeah there is one,” Scootaloo said, “but the observatory is at the center of the building. If we take a left here I can show you a trapdoor that we can fly through to get closer to the observatory then if we were to take a right here.”

“Really?” Rumble asked. “How do you know all of this? I never thought you would try and memorize something like where the observatory is.”

“Well this place isn’t that difficult to figure out,” Scootaloo said. “The center of this building is where all the stuff like that is. You can find the male Wonderbolts’ rooms in the east wing and the female Wonderbolts’ rooms in the west wing. Spitfire’s office is in the center and any married Wonderbolt couples like Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ have their room in the south.”

“Ok, so if I’m ever lost and want to find Thunderlane’s room then I should look in the east wing,” Rumble said.

“Pretty much,” Scootaloo said. “And if you ever want to find the mess hall or one of the lounges then you just need to find the center of the building.”

“Ok, good to know,” Rumble said. “Rainbow Dash really told you a lot about this place.”

“Yeah Rainbow Dash told me,” Scootaloo said. “Don’t think I’m an egghead or anything. I just…it’s not difficult to memorize and I don’t want to get lost around this place.”

“I get it Scootaloo,” Rumble said. “We should get going.”

“Yeah right,” Scootaloo said as she started leading the way again.

Scootaloo went to the left and Rumble followed behind her. After a few yards of walking Scootaloo looked up and extended her wings. She jumped up and slammed into a trap door opening it up. Rumble opened up his wings and also followed suit, only he didn’t actually have to open the trapdoor himself. Once they got up there Scootaloo showed Rumble to the nearest staircase which lead up to the observatory.

The observatory is in the top of the headquarters and has no celling or walls. It is completely open to the outside which makes it nice for any of the pegasi that wants to be stargazing. But that is not the only thing it is useful for. Many Wonderbolts will use the observatory as a high lift off point if they want to. It is the highest point in all of Equestria.

Rainbow Dash was once again alone in the observatory, staring off into the late afternoon sky. Scootaloo did find that somewhat surprising, but not as surprising as her being alone outside. Most Wonderbolts are up here for all of five seconds during the day, using it to launch themselves high in the sky.

Scootaloo walked up to Rainbow Dash and said, “Hay Rainbow Dash. I kinda have a problem.”

Rainbow Dash yelled when Scootaloo suddenly talked to her, but after looking to see it was Scootaloo she calmed down. Though she did pass a long glance at Rumble she decided to give her full attention to Scootaloo. “What do you need Scoots?” Rainbow Dash asked.

I didn’t want Rainbow Dash to know about this, but I have to tell her to get her to where Soarin’ is, Scootaloo thought. “Well you see Rainbow Dash I…kinda made a mess in the mess hall,” Scootaloo said. “I was sort of riding my scooter around and crashed into a few things.”

“That was you?!” Rumble asked. “I should have figured that those tire tracks belonged to you. But I didn’t think you actually brought your scooter with you here. If you made that mess then why is Soarin’ cleaning it up?”

Scootaloo gave Rumble an angry look, but it was too late. “It sounds like Soarin’ already has that taken care of squirt,” Rainbow Dash said. “Make sure to thank him for doing that for me.”

“I’ll go do that,” Scootaloo said in an annoyed voice. “Come on Rumble.”

As soon as they were out of Rainbow Dash’s hearing range Scootaloo said to Rumble, “Thanks! I was so close to getting Rainbow Dash to go to the mess hall. Well there goes that plan.”

“Well I don’t know what you’re planning anyways,” Rumble said. “I’m not even sure what is going on around here.”

“Rainbow Dash is avoiding Soarin’ for some reason,” Scootaloo said. “So I’m trying to get them together to talk about it. In order to do that I’m getting them in the same place and then am going to try and push Rainbow Dash into telling Soarin’.”

“And why don’t you tell him?” Rumble asked.

“Because Rainbow Dash wants to be the one to tell him,” Scootaloo said.

“Alright, but if Rainbow Dash keeps avoiding Soarin’ then what makes you so sure she isn’t going to run away as soon as you get them together anyways?” Rumble asked.

“I…don’t know,” Scootaloo said. “But I have to try something. Soarin’s in a bad mood right now because of this and it’s going to get worse if they don’t talk about it.”

“Well I wish I could help you,” Rumble said, “but I have no idea what you should do either. I wish I knew what my brother would do about this.”

“Your brother…wait that’s it!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Rumble can you get your brother for me?”

“Well…I guess I can,” Rumble said. “But why?”

“I’ve got an idea,” Scootaloo said. “I’ll explain on the way back to the mess hall! Come on, let’s go!” Scootaloo started walking off.

Rumble was still confused, but he decided to follow Scootaloo to where Thunderlane was anyways. “Ok then…” Rumble said. He started walking with Scootaloo “What do you need Thunderlane for anyways?”

“Thunderlane should be strong enough to block Rainbow Dash and prevent her from leaving if we get the two of them in a hallway,” Scootaloo said. “So we just need to find some way of getting Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ in a hallway and have Thunderlane block Rainbow Dash from leaving. We don’t need to block Soarin’ since he wants to talk to Rainbow Dash anyways.”

“Well it looks like your plans are still as crazy as they were before,” Rumble said. “You know you still owe me one for this right?”

“Yeah yeah, we’ll worry about that later,” Scootaloo said. “Let’s get Thunderlane now.”

So Scootaloo and Rumble made their way to the mess hall. Once they got there, they both made a beeline for Thunderlane while trying to avoid getting spotted by Soarin’. They both ducked under tables and behind chairs even though Soarin’ wasn’t really paying attention to them and probably wouldn’t have noticed what they were doing anyways. They eventually reached Thunderlane who was trying and failing at chatting up with one of the Wonderbolt Mares.

Rumble used his hoof to poke Thunderlane and get his attention. “Excuse me for a moment,” Thunderlane said to the mare he was talking with before he went down to Rumble and asked, “What do you need Rumble? I’m trying to talk to a mare here.”

“We need your help,” Rumble told Thunderlane.

“Can this wait?” Thunderlane asked as he poked his head back above the table to see what the mare he was talking to was doing. But when he poked his head up, she was already gone. Thunderlane groaned and poked his head back down. “Fine, what do you need?”

Scootaloo explained to Thunderlane exactly what was happening with Rainbow Dash and Soarin’.

“So you need me to block her from running away huh?” Thunderlane asked. “Well, since Rainbow Dash did help me get into the Wonderbolts in the first place, I think I can do that for her. So sure, I’ll help you.”

~

I’ll admit, Rumble came here at a pretty good time. I guess it’s a pretty good thing that we were off school and Thunderlane brought Rumble here. Without him here I probably would have never managed to get Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ to talk to each other. I wouldn’t have gotten Thunderlane’s help because I’ve never really talked to Thunderlane. But luckily even though he did stop one of my plans, Rumble came through for me.

Author's Note:

And we get some interactions between Scoots and Rumble, including some back story on the both of them and how they know each other.

And something you should probably know that I did try to suggest is right now, Rumble thinks Scootaloo is here for the same reason that Rumble is here. School is off so Rainbow Dash brought Scootaloo to the headquarters for a day. He does not know right now that Rainbow Dash has custody over Scootaloo because the two haven't talked in a long time.