• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 6,024 Views, 153 Comments

The Full Metal Equestrian - Derparoo



My first try at a fanfic. Edward and Alphonse Elric from "Full Metal Alchemist" wake up in Equestria

  • ...
10
 153
 6,024

Waking Up

Alphonse slowly pulled himself back into consciousness. He groaned as pain split his head. How long have I been out? He wondered. Taking a look around, Al quickly realized two things. First of all, he was alone. No Edward, no one at all. Secondly, he was being held in what appeared to be some kind of prison. No, not a prison, he thought, more of a…dungeon? What’s going on? Al wondered.

Al fought back the panic clawing at his mind and pushed himself to his hooves. Trotting over to the cell’s entrance, he took a look around. Aside from the one he was in, there were five similar cells in this ‘dungeon.’ Sadly, Ed wasn’t present in any of them. Sighing, Al continued to observe his surroundings. Besides the additional cells, all Alphonse could see was a small doorway. That must be the exit, he figured.

Unsure of what else to do, Alphonse shuffled his feet, then called out to his captor, “Hello? Is anyone out there?” If whoever had put Al in this cell was outside of that door, Al was sure that he could talk his way out. They may even know where Edward is! Al hadn’t done anything wrong, right? Of course he hadn’t. Al just wanted to get back to his brother and go home.

Al’s eyes lit up when he saw the door begin to creak open. He was about to voice his gratitude when he saw the figure answering his pleas. The creature who had opened the door, and was now approaching Al’s cell, was definitely not human. It appeared to be some sort of stark white miniature horse, but not one like Al had ever seen. He had eyes like a human, for one, coupled with a very serious expression on his face. On top of that, he was sporting a gleaming golden helmet and plate armor, and, if Al wasn’t mistaken, had a pair of majestic white wings tucked in to his sides.

When the figure had finally reached Al’s cell door, he said, “You called, sir?”

Al was shocked. A talking horse? Forgetting all of his previous questions, he simply asked, “What are you?”

A bit put off, the visitor responded, “I’m a pony, the same as you.”

Alphonse froze. Since he’d awoken, the one thing he hadn’t looked at was himself. Why should he? Everyone knows what they look like. Al hadn’t even realized he’d been standing on all fours. It’d just been so…natural. He gave himself a quick once over. Sure enough, Alphonse had somehow become a pony. His coat was a light grey in color, and his tail matched his dark blonde hair color from when he was human. Aside from the whole pony body situation, the only thing Al found strange was a red arcane symbol upon each of his flanks. It didn’t look like any transmutation circle he’d seen, but it seemed eerily familiar…he quickly dismissed this mark, eager to get back to conversation with a very confused pony.

“Why are you wearing armor?” Al asked.

“I am one of Canterlot Castle’s Royal Guard. It’s customary,” the guard answered. His words were simple and concise.

Now that he knew his probable location, Al asked, “Why am I being held here?”

The guard began to unlock the cell, and rather than answering simply said, “The Princess would like to see you now.”

Alphonse followed the pegasus out of his cell, towards the door the guard had come through. Once through, they were joined by a nearly identical pony, who took his position and walked in silence. Al decided it would be best to stand on ceremony with these “Royal Guards” and kept his mouth shut. After traveling up a small staircase, the three proceeded through a second door, and into a huge corridor.

Al couldn’t believe what he was seeing! What he imagined was Canterlot Castle was massive! The ceiling seemed like it was miles above his head, and he was sure the hallways were at least 50 ponies wide. He kept following his escorts, uttering the occasional ‘ooh’ or ‘ah’ at the various stained-glass windows that the castle seemed to be full of. Looking through, Al could see the morning sun hanging low in the sky, giving him an idea of the time of day.

The guards finally came to a stop at the end of a hallway. Looking ahead, Al saw that they had stopped in front of an enormous doorway. The door itself stretched all the way from floor to ceiling, the centre accented by a depiction of a massive, blazing sun. Standing in front, guarding the door, were two black unicorns, dressed in a silver version of the same armor as your winged escorts.

“We’ve brought the stranger,” informed the pegasus who’d opened your cell.

The two unicorns nodded, but did nothing to open the monstrous door. As Al wondered what they could be waiting for, he saw the guards’ horns begin to glow brightly. Alphonse watched in awe as the entire door was enveloped by the same light, and began to slide open. Once it was opened enough for three ponies to pass through, the light faded, and the pegasi began to trot through the opening. Al followed, still amazed as he watched the door close behind him in the same way.

“Your majesty,” began one of Al’s escorts, “we’ve brought you the prisoner.”

Al turned around to see a new pony facing him. He could tell from its gentle face that this one was definitely a female. She had both wings and a horn, and was dressed with a modest tiara and necklace. She didn’t need to be wearing shining armor to catch Al’s eye, though. She was notably much taller than the other ponies, and had a mane and tail whose many colors flowed majestically. Alphonse was sure that this was the aforementioned Princess.

She smiled at him, and said, “Good morning, my little pony.”


A confused-sounding shout pierced Twilight Sparkle’s peaceful dream state. It was just getting good, too! A handsome unicorn stallion had just invited her home to discuss Star Swirl the Bearded’s most spellbinding work, when the noise had snapped her back to Ponyville. She could see Spike in the kitchen, preparing a breakfast of grass pancakes.

“Morning, Twi,” he said, before nervously asking, “You uh, gonna go take care of that?”

Twilight groaned, and nodded to her companion. She dragged her hooves up the stairs and into the bedroom. Inside, she found the mysterious colt staring at his own hoof. He hadn’t seemed to notice her at first, but once her hoof hit the hardwood floor, the colt’s gaze shot up to Twilight. He wore a look of confusion and fear.

“You!” he shouted, “just what the Hell is going on here?!”

Twilight nearly smacked the colt. Fighting back her anger at his ingratitude, she said plainly, “my friend and I found you injured in the Ever Free Forest last night. It’s a dangerous place, you know. We brought you here and cleaned you up.”

The colt’s terrified expression seemed to fade, although he still seemed thoroughly confused when he said, “Where exactly am I?”

Twilight’s expression softened, knowing this pony was willing to cooperate. She answered with, “You’re in the Ponyville Library, in Ponyville, Equestria.”

“So that would make you and I…ponies.” I guess the transmutation worked, to an extent at least.

“What else would we be?” Twilight asked, now as confused as her guest.

Slowly, a very awkward silence crept its way into the room. Neither pony said a word, just staring back to one another. Twilight’s gaze slowly drifted down to the colt’s missing foreleg. He traced her gaze back to his own shoulder, before she averted her eyes, ashamed to have been staring.

The colt motioned to his missing leg, “I guess this isn’t something you’re used to seeing.”

Twilight shook her head. “What’s all the metal for?” she asked.

Her visitor laughed and told her, “Even though my arm isn’t there, my brain’s still sending out signals to move it. I used to have a machine called auto-mail that picked up those signals. I’m sure you noticed my left leg is the same way.”

Despite not knowing for sure what an ‘arm’ was, Twilight nodded. She had indeed noticed his left hind leg bore the same strange casing. Confused, she asked him where these machines had gone.

“I’m not sure,” he answered, “I guess I must’ve lost them in the journey over here.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide. Journey…journey from where, through what? In a worried tone she said, “before I went out searching for you, I saw you fall out of a tear in the sky. Do you know what that was?”

The colt sighed and told Twilight that it had been a portal made to send him to his home, but apparently had instead brought him to Equestria. Apparently he had been trapped in an unfamiliar world, and now that he'd attempted to return home, this is where he'd ended up.

The colt’s face became serious, “I’m very grateful for you helping me,” he told her, “but I can’t stay here, I’d be a huge inconvenience.” Despite Twilight assuring him that she was happy to let him stay as long as it took, he continued, “I need to go out and find my little brother, and the only way I can take care of myself out there is if I can rebuild my auto-mail.”

This sparked an interest in Twilight Sparkle. Being a thinker, she’d love to build a machine! Especially to help somepony out! When she asked him what they would need, he told her that he had planned on doing this alone. After a small dispute, Twilight finally broke his stubborn attitude, but not without warning her about the difficulties they were sure to face.

“My friend Winry designed every aspect of my auto-mail,” he told Twilight, “even I only have a basic understanding of how it works, and we’d be doing it from scratch. On top of that, we’ll need to have surgical precision. We’re playing with my nervous system here.”

Twilight nodded, and began forming a plan, “I’ll get my friends,” she told him, “They can join us, they’re all very talented, I’m sure we can use their help. I’ll bring them over and we can make a checklist of how to go about the procedure.” Smiling, she added, “I’m Twilight Sparkle, by the way. Sorry for never properly introducing myself.”

“Edward Elric,” the colt replied, “Pleased to meet you.”


As Twilight strode back down the stairs, Spike asked her about their strange visitor. Everything from “is he okay?” to “what was that screaming about?” came up. Twilight did her best to fill in the poor dragon over breakfast, despite really not knowing much about Edward herself. Many of Twilight’s responses were simply, “he’s a friendly pony, you could always go talk to him yourself,” or, “you’d have to ask Edward.” She hadn’t meant to come off as rude, but she had a lot on her mind, and really didn’t have the answers Spike was looking for.

As Twilight was finishing her meal, she told Spike about their plan to fix Ed’s legs and set out to find her friends. The first to join her was Pinkie Pie. She hadn’t been very hard to find, all Twilight had to do was walk into Sugarcube Corner, where she found Pinkie playing with the baby Cake’s. Twilight barely had time to gather her thoughts by the time Pinkie piped up.

“Hiya Twilight,” Pinkie said, “what brings you here?”

Not sure where to begin, Twilight told her, “I’m going to need your help, Pinkie Pie.”

“Of course!” the party pony smiled, “whaddaya need?”

“It’s sort of a long story…”

“Okie-dokie-loki,” Pinkie said cheerfully, and with that, she told the Cake’s that she had to head out with Twilight, and the pair left the bakery and headed towards the Carousel Boutique. On the way there, Twilight filled Pinkie in on the major details of her predicament. As Twilight explained the gorier portions of her tale, Pinkie’s expression changed from one of shock, to one of worry. This colt definitely sounded like he needed a hand!

Twilight was grateful to finally arrive at the door or Rarity’s shop, Pinkie had asked even more questions than Spike! Must have something to do with her hyperactive personality, Twilight figured as they cantered inside. They had barely taken three steps inside when Twilight had to duck around a flying roll of fabric. Following the path of the fabric missile, the two friends could see a panicked Rarity, leaning over a sewing machine, designs scattered all around her immediate area.

“No, no, no, no, NO!”

“Rarity?” Twilight began, but was cut off by Pinkie.

“Watcha doing Rarity?” Pinkie asked eagerly.

Rarity spun around to face her friends, “Oh girls, I’m just having such an awful time!”

“What seems to be the problem?” Twilight asked.

Rarity sighed heavily, before telling them, “Ever since Fancy Pants got Canterlot’s upper class interested in my designs, I’ve been getting scads of orders from them. This is the biggest one yet, and I just can’t get the colors right! I’m supposed to be the next great designer in Equestria, and I can’t even complete one simple dress! I’m sooooo pathetiiiiiccccc!

Twilight sighed, knowing this ordeal would cost them quite a bit of time. After several minutes of Pinkie and Twilight assuring Rarity that the dress she was working on looked ‘absolutely fabulous,’ Rarity had finally calmed enough to ask, “What brings you girls to my shop?” Sighing, (in relief this time!) Twilight recounted the details of the current situation.

“Your attention to detail and skill with assembly really help us out,” Twilight explained.

“Can you take a break to help us?” Pinkie asked, eyes pleading.

“Well of course I’m coming!” Rarity exclaimed. “My friends need me, and they’re certainly more important than some silly snooty strangers!”

Smiling, Twilight and Pinkie hugged their generous companion, and the trio went out searching once again. Fluttershy’s cottage, Sweet Apple Acres, and Rainbow Dash’s house were all located outside of Ponyville, so to save time, the three friends decided to split up. Rarity would go to see Fluttershy, Pinkie would take her Flycycle up to Dash’s place, and Twilight would persuade Applejack to take a break from applebucking to come and help. Once an hour had passed, they would meet back at the library. After they were all sure what they were to do, the trio took off, each eager to complete their tasks.


Rarity was the first to reach her destination. She figured it would be easy to convince Fluttershy to come back with her. If she enjoys helping ponies anywhere near as much as her animals, I’ll barely have to speak, Rarity thought. She knocked politely on Fluttershy’s door, and waited patiently.

As per usual, the door creaked open slowly. As Fluttershy crept into the opening, her ears perked up, “Oh, it’s you Rarity! Would you like to come inside?”

Rarity smiled at her best friends little quirks, but told her, “Sorry Fluttershy, but we haven’t got time today. We’ve got a bit of an emergency on our hands.”

“An emergency? Oh my goodness! It’s not another dragon is it? Please say it’s not another dragon!” Fluttershy began scanning the sky for clouds of smoke, shielding herself with a foreleg.

“No, nothing like that,” Rarity assured her timid friend, “Twilight has an injured colt at the library, and we need to go help him out,” she explained.

“Oh!” Fluttershy exclaimed, “He’s awake? Is he doing alright? He isn’t scared, is he?”

Rarity was shocked, “You know this pony?”

“Oh no, but I did help Twilight dress his wounds last night. If he needs help, we simply must go!”

Rarity was dumbfounded. She’d known this wouldn’t be a particularly difficult task, but she never expected this. She didn’t even have to try! Shaking off the initial shock, she and Fluttershy began to make their way towards the library.


Elsewhere…


Twilight had never heard so much noise coming from Sweet Apple Acres. Every few seconds she could hear a loud *crash!* or a *thump!*. Scanning the front of the farm, she couldn’t see Applejack anywhere. Before she went out to survey the orchards, Twilight spied Big Macintosh, plowing a nearby field. She galloped over to the mountainous red stallion and asked him if Applejack was around.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac shouted over the noise, pointing over a small hill.

Twilight thanked the eldest Apple sibling, and rush towards the spot he’d pointed out. Once she’d crested the hill, Twilight could see a barn she’d never noticed before. This barn seemed to be the source of all of the ruckus she’d been hearing. Nervously, she strode into the barn, to find Applejack and Rainbow Dash, hammering, screwing, drilling, and doing all sorts of construction.

Since she’d been hovering overhead, Rainbow soon noticed Twilight had come inside, and waved down Applejack as a sign to stop for a moment.

After a hoof point from Rainbow Dash, Applejack turned around to face her guest, “Howdy Twilight, what’s up?”

“What are you two doing in here?” Twilight asked.

Rainbow Dash floated down beside her friends, and answered Twilight with, “Come on, Twi. You remember when I was helping A.J. tear down that old barn! This is the new one she wanted to put up.”

“Yup, that just about covers it,” Applejack agreed.

Twilight nodded, her mind briefly turning to the day she’d tried to council Rainbow Dash for “vandalizing” Applejack’s property. She giggled a little at the thought before returning to the problem at hand. She quickly explained the situation to A.J. and Dash, who were more than willing to put their work on hold.

“Now that the roof’s up, we don’t need ta worry about rain gettin’ on the ground,” Applejack explained.

“Ready when you are, Twi,” Rainbow said, “I’ve been waiting for a break all day!” The three took off towards Ponyville, Applejack and Twilight struggling to keep up with the airborne Rainbow Dash. Twilight was thankfully everything had gone so smoothly today.


Somewhere in the sky…


Pinkie Pie was getting worried. She’d checked all over the sky for Rainbow Dash! She wasn’t in her house OR practicing aerial stunts! Pinkie had even checked all of Dash’s favorite spots to take naps, but nopony was there.

It had nearly been an hour since Pinkie and her friends had split up, and Pinkie would have to come back empty hoofed. Sighing, she started to descend on her crazy flying contraption, heading towards Sugarcube Corner. When she touched ground, she began to pack up her Flycycle, storing in her living area.

Pinkie started dragging her hooves off towards the library. She was sure Twilight would be upset with her. Oh well, she thought, maybe I can throw her an apology party! At the thought of a party, Pinkie’s ears perked up and her mood changed instantly! She was humming a little tune when she finally reached the library, and let herself in with a carefree bounce in her step.

Inside, she was greeted by Twilight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity and RAINBOW DASH?!

“Rainbow Dash! Where were you? I couldn’t find you anywhere,” Pinkie whined.

“I was with Applejack,” Rainbow explained, “I didn’t know anypony was gonna be looking for me today,” she laughed.

“Come on girls,” Twilight said, regaining control of the room, “It’s time you all met Edward.”