• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,018 Views, 190 Comments

My Little Teelo: Masquerade - Ardwolf



Teelo was hoping her "summer school" in Hejm would be dull. Or at least peaceful. She should have known better. It's going to be a LONG summer...

  • ...
8
 190
 1,018

Breakthrough

In which mysteries begin to unravel and Hope puts forth a single fragile blossom.

A hoof moved the scrap of parchment across the desk while its owner smiled coldly. The room was utterly dark, but this didn’t seem to bother the occupant in the least. He studied another parchment and frowned slightly.

“So, they still resist. Annoying,” the unicorn growled. “Afkoel, attend me!”

A cold whirlwind formed beside the irate unicorn as faint blue light coalesced into a windigo. The emancipated beast bowed its head in silent submission.

“Notify Verlei its plans must be advanced quickly. One of those disobedient slaves managed to lure the land shark to its doom before the Queen’s party arrived. Oh, and find Rimor. This trumped up “Lady Teagan” managed to lead a group of rebellious slaves against his base and destroyed it. Bring him back here. We must have a little chat about his carelessness.”

Yes, Master,” the windigo replied in its hideous chittering screech. Silently it faded and swirled away in a chill breeze.

The unicorn’s face became impassive as he began to implement a contingency plan. This was only a minor setback after all, a small glitch in the overall plan, which was otherwise proceeding smoothly. It was only a matter of time before victory was attained.

A small smile flitted across his muzzle. After all, he had time.

All of it, in fact.

ooOoo

Earth, Monday morning, May 29, 2013 9:32 AM

Teagan had time to think on the walk back to her house. Jern’s death still nagged at her, but not as sharply as it had. He had been a monster—a serial killer and a cannibal. The rational part of her mind knew Matt’s point of view was sound but there was another part that stubbornly insisted she had murdered the troll and that Crush was turning her into a monster.

Because she also knew the choice had been completely hers. She could have left the rescue up to Rolling Thunder—they weren’t helpless, after all. They could have brought Sweetie Belle out, along with those other mares without her there. In fact she could have stayed silent when Cherry Fizzy started raving about how trolls couldn’t be trusted. Then she wouldn’t have made her oath.

For that matter she could have stayed home instead of going back with Sun Hammer to rescue Princess Celestia—who rescued herself after all. Or she could have picked another magical weapon from the armory last year instead of Crush.

Of course, she admitted to herself, Crush was probably the only weapon that could have hurt Discord like that. If I’d chosen something else Discord might have won.

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, she thought sarcastically. Matt was right, she’d made the choice and she’d just have to live with the consequences. Hindsight could only go so far. And she was forced to admit if the troll had lived he would certainly have killed more ponies, or took them back to face unimaginable torture at the hands of his employer, who would then have enslaved them for eternity.

“Being queen sucks,” She muttered to herself as she trudged on.

ooOoo

Wind Shimmer appeared along with the fallen alicorn in a large gray chamber. The alicorn was rapidly losing her color. The mane and tail had stopped moving completely, the rainbow colors almost completely faded to pale white. Even her gleaming ivory horn was turning dull as her head slumped lifelessly to the side in what would have been an agonizing angle had she been conscious.

“Do not ever make me do that again,” she said angrily to the pony just entering the room. “Watching you fall like that was too realistic. I almost killed that damn snake over it.”

“But you didn’t,” Princess Celestia replied, looking down on her corpse with a clinical expression. “I’m sure that Glitter seeing your reaction can only aid our cause. You did well, my little pony. And now you have your sample of her venom. Be extremely careful when you analyze it, it seems to disrupt magic, I was barely able to withdraw the simulacrum before losing control of it.”

The alicorn’s horn began to glow gently as the corpse on the floor melted, drawing back into a sphere the size of a basketball.

“Promise me I’ll never have to do that again,” the unicorn demanded angrily. “I couldn’t stand it!”

The princess turned her attention to the distraught unicorn, gently draping her head over the other mare’s withers.

“I’m sorry, Wind Shimmer, I truly am. But you chose to take up part of my burden when you became a Horn. I even asked you to reconsider the night before you took your oath, remember? Days like today are the reason I did that.”

She felt the unicorn shudder.

“I became a Horn to protect you, Princess,” Wind Shimmer said with closed eyes. “Not to watch you die. Even if it was only a simulacrum.”

We see things in the dark so other ponies need not. We face the fearsome so others may live,” Celestia murmured.

Wind Shimmer took a deep breath and lifted her head. Celestia stepped back, watching the unicorn sympathetically.

“I remember, Princess Celestia. I’m sorry for breaking down like that.”

The alicorn slowly shook her head. “Don’t be. Even I have my moments, Wind Shimmer. Thank you for doing this. I am so very proud of you. Because of your actions today we now know more about our enemy than we did. If Glitter was telling the truth her pride may have finally given us the key to dealing with this threat.”

“I do hope so. Have you ever heard of this Duisternis secret society?” The unicorn asked frowning, “because I haven’t.”

“No,” Celestia said, frowning. “And that disturbs me. I don’t think she was making it up, the language wasn’t familiar to me, but it didn’t sound like a fake one. It’s not impossible that Equis was inhabited before Tišina ruined the original sun. I will have to consult with Discord. He may know something about this.”

Wind Shimmer made a face, “Forgive me if I have my doubts about that one, Princess. I still remember your vivid blue coat and the chocolate rain.”

Celestia chuckled. “Ah, but Discord has been reformed, Wind Shimmer. His chaos serves Equestria today instead of making a mess of things. But let us return to Glitter for a moment. Now that she thinks I’m dead and that Duisternis will triumph she may let something slip. Here in the dungeons she can’t see the outside, so we should let her believe her actions have doomed us. Perhaps a little artistic license over the days to come? Lowering the temperature in her cell slightly? The more confident she is that she has won, the more gloating she’s likely to do.”

“And a gloating prisoner is a talkative prisoner,” Wind Shimmer said, perking up.

“Exactly,” Celestia nodded.

ooOoo

The return to Equestria was anticlimactic and went off without a hitch. Less than a minute after the Bridge appeared Emma and Teagan gratefully dismounted from their hosts, still swaying a bit.

“I don’t think I’ll ever get used to teleportation,” Emma said, trying to steady herself by leaning on Celestia’s dresser. “The color purple isn’t supposed to smell like butterscotch!”

“Yeah, well I tasted sound this time,” Teagan retorted. “A bass cello kind of noise, it tasted like coffee.”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight asked in confusion, “The space between is just a jumble of color and sound. I’ve never experienced anything like what you described. Spike never mentioned it either and he’s teleported with me before.”

“Maybe it’s just humans,” Teagan replied, shaking off the after effects. “That place really scrambled my senses. I think they call it synesthesia or something.”

“That’s fascinating,” Twilight said, brightening. “Maybe we can experiment more?”

“No!” Emma said quickly. “Twilight, no offense, but I think if I had to teleport much more I’d start throwing up. That stuff is for emergencies only.

“Oh,” Twilight said, deflating. “Well, if you should change your mind...”

“Not going to happen,” Emma said firmly.

“Sorry,” Twilight dipped her head a bit.

“It’s ok, Twilight,” Teagan said yawning. “You didn’t mean any harm. You just get a little enthusiastic sometimes. At any rate we need to drop Emma’s stuff off at the suite and let the trolls know we’re back. Then I have got to catch up with Princess Luna tonight, I want to make sure she hears some of the songs I brought her to listen to before we head to Hejm tomorrow.”

“Songs?” Celestia asked curiously.

“You remember at the party, how Dad was talking about the songs bronies had created for her?” Teagan asked. “I brought some so she could hear them. There are a couple that might make her cry because they’re about her—fall. But even those are beautiful.”

“Perhaps I should hear these songs with her then,” Celestia said mildly. “It’s time for Evening Meal, why don’t the three of you join us?”

“Sounds good, I’m starving,” Teagan said, grinning.

“You’re always starving!” Emma needled her friend.

“Yes, well I’m eating for two aren’t I? Wait—that did not come out right!” Teagan said, blushing. “Crush takes a lot of fuel, that’s all I meant!”

Emma snickered while the two ponies tried to stifle their own amusement.

“Come then, I’ll walk with you to your suite. I understand that Flint and Skrent will be escorting you until you return home in the fall,” Celestia said, leading them into the corridor where a pair of pegasi fell in behind them.

Teagan sighed. “I really like those two, but it’s going to be awkward having them trail me everywhere.”

“You get used to it,” Celestia replied with a chuckle. “It’s expected that royalty have bodyguards, cousin. Isn’t that right, Gold Feather?” Celestia asked over her shoulder to one of the pegasi.

“Yes, Your Highness,” the guard said in a no-nonsense tone that oozed professionalism. “Guards make sure their charge remains safe and isn’t distracted by random ponies seeking to waste her valuable time.”

“I don’t think trolls have that issue,” Teagan said with an amused snort. “They’re very—hands on. Anybody that bothered Fjell wouldn’t do it again in a hurry.”

“Well at least Flint shouldn’t be too bad,” Emma commented. “He never says a word. Skrent’s barely more talkative. You’ll probably forget they’re there after a while.”

“I hope you’re right,” Teagan said with a sigh. “I’m still not used to this whole queen thing.”

Arriving at the suite Teagan opened the door, Emma and Celestia following her in while the Royal guards stayed in the corridor.

“Ah, God kveld, min Dronning,” Alene Hule said, looking up from his book. “I am happy to see you safely back from your trip. I trust matters have been attended to?”

He was seated in a comfortable oversized chair intended for a full-grown troll. He looked like a small child in the massive furniture.

“Yes, thank you,” Teagan responded. “We’ll be leaving for Hejm tomorrow as planned.”

“That is good news,” He said gravely. “I have been recalled to help reinforce the city’s wards. Her Highness has been kind enough to offer us the fastest train in Equestria to speed our homecoming.”

“I am happy to help, Alene Hule,” Celestia said with a smile. “I only wish we had enough chariots to spare you the hike through the mountains.”

The Alene smiled. “I am not so old yet that a little exercise will harm me, Your Highness. Besides, the trip will give everyone time to get to know one another better. It promises to be a most enjoyable outing.”

“Only a troll would call a fifty mile mountain hike an enjoyable outing,” Teagan noted with a chuckle.

“Let me just put this in my room” Emma said. “I’ll grab Flint and Skrent on the way.”

“Good idea, I’d better let Søyle know we’re back,” Teagan agreed.

It took remarkably little time before the three were headed back to the private dining room Celestia and her sister used to share meals in, Flint and Skrent silently joining the two pegasi that trailed them.

“Greetings, sister, Your Majesty, Lady Emma,” Luna said, gaining her hooves. “We had not expected thee back tonight.” Twilight looked up with a smile but didn’t say anything, too busy chewing.

“Got everything wrapped up quicker than I thought I would,” Teagan said while conscious of the MP3 player in her pocket. She decided a good meal was the current priority and cheerfully joined the three princesses. She found it amusing that the meal was breakfast, lunch and dinner depending on the diner’s point of view.

After putting away her usual pony-sized portion of food Teagan sat back happily and turned to Princess Luna.

“Do you remember when my father mentioned that the bronies had created music for you?” She asked with a smile.

“We do,” Luna said gravely, but her eyes softened. “We have often wished we could have heard that song.”

“Well, your wish is about to come true,” Teagan said triumphantly, setting the MP3 player and a miniature speaker on the table in front of her. “I was able to find four of the best ones and bring a recording of them. There were more but,” she shrugged apologetically, “you must understand most bronies are amateurs and their music isn’t, um, well, professional.”

“Are we to understand thee hast brought us the actual music that we mayest listen to it?” Princess Luna asked, her head coming up in surprise.

“Yep,” Teagan said, chuckling. “Princess Celestia said she’d like to listen with you. A couple of the songs are about, well, the night you fell, so she thought you might want some company while listening.”

“A kind thought, sister,” Princess Luna responded after a slightly awkward pause. “How dost this device work?”

“It’s based on electricity,” Teagan answered. “The songs are electrical patterns that the speaker converts to sounds. There’s a song list to let you choose the song you want, but it’s in English so I’ll have to work the player. Would you like to hear them now?”

“Very much,” Luna said nodding her head.

“If it becomes uncomfortable let me know and I’ll stop the music,” Teagan said gently.

“We have accepted our past, Lady Teelo,” Luna said, shaking her head. “It was a dark time, but we understand our mistakes and will never repeat them. Play the songs made for us—for me,” she corrected herself. “We—I—would hear what others think of me.”

“All right, the first one is called The Moon Rises by a brony named Ponyphonic.” Teagan said as she started the song.

She watched Luna carefully as the pony smiled at the beginning then watched her smile fade as the song turned darker. When it finished a single tear leaked from the corner of her eye.

“The singer gives me too much credit,” Luna murmured sadly. “That is indeed the lure Nightmare used to snare me in my foalishness. I felt wronged, it is true. Looking back I can see it was naught but wounded pride. But thanks to Twilight Sparkle and her friends I was rescued from my folly. They bested Nightmare where I could not. And now I will never fall prey to such poisoned words ever again.”

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?” Emma asked quietly.

“Indeed. Twas a most painful lesson I learned these last thousand years. I will not forget it,” Luna said, her face hardening.

“You were not alone in that lesson, sister.” Celestia said sadly. “I mourned every night when I raised the moon.”

“Speaking of which, I have a duet,” Teagan said quietly. “It’s called Lullaby for a Princess and Luna’s reply. I think Ponyphonic wrote Celestia’s half but I can’t find the author of Luna’s half. This version is from a pegasister named LadyPhenyx, but it seems to have been a group effort. The lyrics were by Polychromia and the vocals by Mslkarishipper.”

“Such unusual names these bronies have,” Princess Luna commented.

“They’re more pseudonyms like writers sometimes use,” Teelo replied.

When she began the duet she saw both sisters stiffen, then close their eyes. Not far into the song they started watching each other and the sadness between them was thick enough to cut with a knife.

By the time the song ended they had moved together, leaning into one another, heads draped over withers.

It took almost a minute before they stirred and turned to look at the humans. Teagan flinched from the raw emotion in the alicorns’ eyes.

“In the beginning of my banishment Nightmare seldom allowed me to come to myself,” Luna said in a low voice. “But eventually it weakened in our prison, and finally slept. That is when I finally had time to think—and regret. It was not until our freedom came that the demon reawakened. This song—how could humans know? It lays out my feelings more clearly than ever I could. How is this possible, cousin?”

“Indeed,” Celestia said with slightly lowered head. “I don’t understand how they could know. How they could feel what I did, how they could speak for me so well? Sister, my own apologies were never so lucid.”

“It is troubling,” Luna mused, staring at Teagan. “Our souls are but one third human, and that part of us is undoubtedly the darkest and most violent. How then can such darkness know a pony’s heart, and tell of regret so powerfully? To seek forgiveness? Do humans know regret, cousin? Do they seek absolution for their own mistakes?”

“You have no idea,” Teagan said quietly. “Humans and ponies aren’t so different when it comes to regret. I think even the trolls understand that pain. I wish I didn’t.”

“Are the rest of your songs ones of regret, cousin?” Luna asked quietly.

Teagan shook her head. “No, this one is a prayer. It’s from a brony called MandoPony, to you. It’s called Song of the Night.” Without further explanation she began the song.

After it ended Luna’s reaction was unusual. She shivered and looked apprehensive.

“Why wouldst he pray to us?” She asked in a bewildered voice. “We are certainly no goddess! Nor do we deserve such devotion for we are in no way worthy of it. The closest we could come to answering prayers is soothing a pony’s troubled dreams. But even then, we have never done so for any human, we never sensed one across the veil ere you appeared, Lady Teagan.”

“There are differing opinions about your divinity, Princess Luna,” Emma said unexpectedly. “But if you want my opinion I think he’s praying to you because he thinks you understand his situation better than Princess Celestia would—no offense, Your Highness,” she said looking at Celestia.

“None taken, Emma,” Celestia said. “That young stallion certainly sounded troubled.”

“We think we understand his plea,” Luna said thoughtfully. “If we could help him we would most assuredly do so, for his pain is clear enough. And we are familiar with such feelings, even before our banishment.”

She stared at nothing for a moment, before turning a polite smile at the red head. “So, cousin, let us hear the last song. We must admit utter amazement at how powerful these songs have been.”

“The last is an instrumental called Princess of the Night, by a brony named Shurrikane,” Teelo said. “He called you the guardian of the night, and dedicated this song to you because he said you deserved it.”

With a grin she turned on the song, watching Luna perk up as the epic song progressed.

When the song ended Luna had shed all traces of her earlier sadness.

“What a wonderful composition,” Luna said with sparkling eyes, “so full of hope, so much potential for the future! This stallion clearly understands the power of the night and its beauties. We are most pleased!”

Teagan grinned, she’d guessed right by playing this song last. The earlier songs were beautiful, but full of sorrow. This one was just plain epic.

“I’m glad I could share this with you,” Teagan said. “I meant to get with you the first night we were here but everything just went crazy. Hopefully things will slow down now.”

“Ah, Your Majesty,” Celestia said regretfully, “on that front I fear I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is we finally have a name for our shadowy adversaries.”

“Ok,” Teagan said eyeing Celestia who was looking expectant. “I’ll bite. Who are they and what do they want?”

Luna, Twilight, and Emma also listened eagerly.

“They are called Duisternis, and they seek nothing less than world conquest,” Celestia said solemnly.

“Of course,” Teagan sighed. “It’s always about conquering the world. Why couldn’t it be about cornering the market on cupcakes or something?”

“Don’t let Pinkie hear you say that,” Emma joked. “So if that’s the good news what’s the bad news?”

“The unicorn mare we captured, Glitter, is a member of Duisternis, and not actually a unicorn. We aren’t sure precisely what her species might be, but it could be that she’s a hybrid of pony and changeling.”

“That is bad news,” Teagan said thoughtfully. “How would that even work?”

“I have no idea,” Celestia replied. “Magic may have been involved but that’s not the bad news.”

“Ok, now I’m officially concerned,” Teagan said, giving Celestia her full attention. “What’s the actual bad news?”

“Duisternis apparently believes they can rule a world in which the Sun does not rise,” Celestia said calmly. “Even chained in her cell by all four hooves, Glitter tried to murder me with a venomous bite while I questioned her. Had I not had the foresight to use a simulacrum she very probably would have succeeded.”

The other three stared at her in horror.