• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,018 Views, 190 Comments

My Little Teelo: Masquerade - Ardwolf



Teelo was hoping her "summer school" in Hejm would be dull. Or at least peaceful. She should have known better. It's going to be a LONG summer...

  • ...
8
 190
 1,018

Plausible Deniability

In which we discover evidence of absence may in fact be absence of evidence.

Earth, Saturday morning, May 28, 2013 9:03 AM

“They will send her back, right?” Olivia asked nervously. “I mean, before August?”

“They should have already done it,” Elaine said tiredly. “It’s possible Subtle Dancer’s simply too tired and they’ll send her back tomorrow. The Bridge opens in the corner of our living room, so we’ll call you the instant she shows up.”

“There’s got to be something we can do,” Jacob said with an edge of desperation in his voice.

“Be patient,” Matt said. “I know that’s not what you want to hear, but sometimes that’s all you can do. I got to know the ponies pretty well while I was there, Mr. Halstead. They’re good people, and very family oriented. They’ll understand how important it is that Emma be sent back as soon as possible. Since we can’t contact them, we’ll just have to wait for them to open the Bridge again.”

“What do we tell Alex in the mean time?” Olivia asked. “He’s going to be back by seven tonight. I’ve got to tell him something.”

Evelyn frowned. “I’m a bit concerned she isn’t back already,” the private detective said, tapping the table in front of her absently. “It’s possible Subtle Dancer was too tired to open the gate, but that seems unlikely. It’s been six hours. If Emma had come back and found nobody there she’d have either called or high-tailed it back here, right?”

“Are you saying something happened to them?” Olivia asked sharply. “Something bad?”

“No,” Evelyn said, making a soothing gesture. “Teagan’s own troll bodyguards were there, along with Princess Celestia’s Royal Guard. I doubt even a dragon would want to mess with them, certainly nothing smaller would. Besides, trolls are eight feet tall and have claws that can dig through stone. As for the Royal Guards, they’ve fought dragons before—and won.”

“Then what are you talking about?” Jacob asked angrily.

“We don’t know anything about how the Bridge of Days works,” Evelyn responded. “Our science can’t even begin to explain something like that. Maybe there’s some kind of interference that crops up, you know some kind of dimensional storm or something. Maybe that’s blocking it.”

We don’t know, but she might,” Matt said, pointing at Luna’s statuette. He addressed it.

“Your Highness, is there anything that would block the Bridge from being opened, some kind of magical storm perhaps?”

The figurine opened its wings, a thoughtful look on the tiny face.

“We cannot say, Matthew,” It finally said. “We have never studied the Bridge of Days. An ethereal storm is not utterly impossible. But please remember thou art speaking to a simulacrum, not the real Princess Luna. Our knowledge is quite limited.”

“Would Twilight’s figurine know?” He asked.

“Perhaps, but these toys took only the barest essence of our real selves. Thou mayest ask, but do not be disappointed if the simulacrum does not know. Our magic fades for today, we must rest.”

The blue figurine turned solid.

“Man, the batteries in these things suck,” Olivia said in disgust.

“Didn’t Princess Celestia say something about playing with them in the sunlight?” John asked speculatively. “Maybe they’re solar powered?”

“Worth a shot,” Matt replied. He scooped up the two alicorns and put them back in the box. “Do you have a table in the backyard, Mrs. Halstead?”

“There’s a picnic table,” she answered. “This way.”

She led them through the house and into a spacious back yard. They settled around the table and Matt pulled out Twilight’s figurine.

“Hello, Twilight. Can you answer a question about the Bridge of Days for me?” Matthew asked.

The little unicorn sat down on her haunches like a dog.

“Hey, Matt! Oh, the sunlight feels wonderful!” A big smile lit up her face. “I might be able to. Remember, I’m not the real Twilight though.”

“Do you know if the Bridge of Days could be blocked by some kind of magical storm? Emma went with Teelo and she wasn’t supposed to. We thought you guys would send her back but it’s been six hours now and we’re getting worried.”

“Emma was the girl who talked to me last night?” Twilight asked. “She was asking some pretty weird questions, like she didn’t know much about Equestria.”

“She doesn’t,” Matt replied. “That’s one of the reasons we’re kind of worried they haven’t sent her back.”

“Sounds like an emergency, then. Is this an emergency?” Twilight stood up and there was an eager expression on her face. She even quivered with excitement.

“Yes, it’s an emergency!” Jacob told the figurine. “We want our daughter back!”

I can’t help you, but I bet the real Twilight can!” Twilight’s figurine bounced on its hooves. “Now I can test the Tairseach Urlabhra spell! Yay!”

“The what spell?” Evelyn asked uneasily. “What does it do?”

“Um, well, it lets you talk to the real Twilight—at least I think it will. We never got to test it between worlds, you see, but it should breach the dimensional barrier just like the Bridge of Days. Well, except nobody can cross over, just thoughts, but the Laws of Similarity and Contagion establish the mystical link and we know the ethereal boundary can be breached more easily by thought, Discord’s original trip proved that, so—”

“Whoa, whoa, hold up a minute,” Matt broke into Twilight’s accelerating technobabble. “Are you saying you can hold a conversation with the real Twilight in Equestria? Right now?”

“Of course. Well, assuming the spell works, but like I said, using Starswirl’s Third Approximation there’s a virtual 90% certainty it will work perfectly.”

“What happens if it doesn’t?” Evelyn asked warily. Her work with Subtle Dancer had given her some disturbing insights into exactly how unfortunate a miscast spell could be.

“Well, like I said there’s a near certainty it will work just fine. But if it doesn’t work because Twilight overlooked some factor, then nine times out of ten the spell just fizzles and nothing happens.”

“What about the one time in ten?” Evelyn pressed the tiny unicorn.

“Um, well, that depends,” Twilight looked away, not meeting Evelyn’s eyes. “Generally, it’s just a small magical backlash. Twilight might end up with a nasty headache.”

“And if we’re really unlucky?” Evelyn insisted.

“Well—there’s a one in ten thousand chance of ripping a hole in reality and letting something nasty into the world,” Twilight admitted. “But that’s extremely unlikely. The power needed for this spell is tiny, nothing like the power needed for the Bridge of Days. It doesn’t need much power because I’m Twilight’s simulacrum. That’s about as exact a match, magically speaking, as you’ll ever find. Even across the Veil the morphic resonances are perfectly synchronized, and the Law of Identity will allow Twilight to see what I see and hear what I hear.”

“Would this spell endanger her, perhaps trap her spirit in you?” Evelyn asked shrewdly.

“No!” The figurine shook her head. “The inelasticity of the ethereal boundary would never permit that, it’s why the Bridge of Days takes so much more power than Tairseach Urlabhra.

“So why didn’t you tell Teelo about this?” Evelyn asked.

“Well, it is untested,” the figurine admitted reluctantly. “It might not have worked. Twilight didn’t want Teelo to get her hopes up. That would just be cruel. So it’s for emergencies only. But you did say this was an emergency, right?”

“Yes, it is. So this Twilight can help us get Emma back?” Olivia asked hopefully. “Or at least tell us what’s going on?”

“Absolutely!” The figurine said airily. “She’s Princess Celestia’s personal student, and has access to the Royal Canterlot library as well. It has the most extensive archive of magical lore in all of Equestria!”

“I say we do it,” Jacob said, staring at John. “My daughter is who knows where, and didn’t come back when she should have. What would you do if it was Teagan, John?”

“Exactly the same,” John said, sighing. “Evelyn, you’re the closest thing we have to a magical expert. What do you think?”

“An experimental spell that’s never been tested?” Evelyn asked skeptically. “Isn’t it a little soon to make a Hail Mary pass, you guys? I saw images of what Tišina turned into when they destroyed her dragon body. Our toy unicorn here says it’s a long shot for something nasty to show up, but let me tell you, that thing was five hundred feet long, had more tentacles than a library of Japanese anime, and enough eyes to bankrupt an optometrist. Any chance of unleashing something like that on Earth is too big a chance.”

“Can’t say I fault your logic,” Matt said quietly. “That thing chased us for a thousand miles before Pinkie pulled her little magic trick and turned Tišina to stone. Let something like that loose in Kansas City—” He shook his head. “The casualties would be in the high six figures. That’s assuming it could be stopped at all.”

Guys! Would you relax? We’re not talking kilothaums here!” The figurine exclaimed in a tiny voice. “A few dozen microthaums at most! That’s it! Bringing something like Tišina over would take several gigathaums. There’s no danger of something like that!”

“So what magical nasty are we talking about then?” Evelyn demanded. “There’s a lot of little creatures in Equestria I have no desire to see wandering Kansas City. Cockatrices, for instance.”

“Don’t worry! Nothing material can pass through. It’s the difference between hearing a voice and getting a letter. This spell just lets thoughts cross, not even light or sound,” the tiny figurine hastened to assure the private detective. “Besides, even if the absolute worst thing did happen it’s only a tiny rip, and something would have to be able to reach it in the few seconds it stayed open and be a spirit instead of flesh and blood. Any danger is purely theoretical.”

“And million-to-one odds happen nine times out of ten,” Evelyn replied sourly. “I vote no.”

“For now I agree with Evelyn,” Matt said. “Give Emma a little more time. If we haven’t heard anything by tomorrow we can try the spell.”

“No,” Jacob said stubbornly. “She’s my daughter. Do you have kids, Matt?”

The ex-soldier shook his head. “No, but I’ve seen enough families torn apart so I know exactly how you feel. I’m just saying give them a little more time. It won’t do Emma any good if something happens to one of us—or to the city.”

“Nothing will happen to the city!” The figurine said in exasperation. “Trust me! I’m Princess Celestia’s personal student! Well, a simulacrum of her, but the real Twilight was confident nothing bad would happen.”

“Then do it, right now!” Jacob snapped.

The figurine closed her eyes and her horn lit up like a purple LED.

ooOoo

“Just when I think you can’t sink any lower, Discord,” Teagan growled, “you prove me wrong. That was despicable, you—” She caught Celestia’s eye and chose a new word quickly, “—brute.”

“Perhaps I was a trifle harsh, Teagan, but then again you did meet my sister, right? Ask yourself if anyone who willingly allied themselves with her is worth your pity,” Discord said stiffly.

Teagan opened her mouth to retort, but had to close it again. As much as she hated to admit it he had a point.

“All right, but you still doomed her to an eternal punishment. Even for you that seems excessive,” Teagan said.

“Wait, so what exactly is the problem?” Emma asked, confused. “Because I’m not seeing it.”

“If she sees him she gets one of those crippling migraines,” Teagan retorted. “So if we turn her back we subject her and all the changelings to a day’s torture. Right now the changelings are in the Everfree. They wouldn’t survive.”

“Oh, and these aren’t ordinary migraines,” Discord said, caught up in the pride of his craftsmanship. “They’re ten times worse.”

“So? That’s only a problem if she sees him, right?” Emma asked, perplexed.

“He can’t change her back without touching her,” Celestia explained, “and looking into her eyes.”

“Yeah, so?” Emma asked impatiently.

“Which triggers the migraine, you goose! I wouldn’t do that, even to her,” Teagan said in exasperation. “Enough changelings have already died. We don’t want to finish the job!”

“It only triggers the migraine if she sees him,” Emma said, rolling her eyes. “Jeez, don’t you get it?”

The others stared at her, having no idea what she was talking about.

“What triggers the migraine?” She asked Discord with exaggerated patience.

“Seeing me,” he answered, intrigued by this human who seemed to have found a way around his ingenious trap. “But she can’t avoid seeing me if I’m staring her straight in the eye.”

Think,” Emma said, losing patience. “Seeing you. Come on, Discord, Teelo said you were clever. Do I have to spell it out?”

Celestia was watching the girl, a thoughtful look on her face. Discord was deep in thought, trying to figure out what intricate scheme the girl had in mind. Teagan and the Mayor clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

Suddenly Celestia’s eyes widened. “Could it be that simple?” She asked, a smile blooming across her muzzle. She started to chuckle, much to Discord’s annoyance.

“Then why don’t you share, Your Highness?” He asked snidely.

“I think I’ll allow Emma the pleasure, Discord,” she replied, nodding to the girl. “Brilliant, Emma. I commend you.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Emma said, pleased.

“Okay, so tell us,” Teagan said impatiently.

“Have Discord shape change,” Emma said. “If Chrysalis doesn’t recognize him, it won’t trigger the migraine.”

Discord’s mouth fell open. “That—would work. It’s so beautifully ironic!” He laughed. “Even better, as a plan it’s so absolutely me, why didn’t I ever think of that?”

“Because you’re an egotistical jackass?” Teagan asked sarcastically. “You wanted her to suffer, so you never even tried to come up with a solution, did you?”

“Does being reformed mean I have to put up with constant insults, Celestia?” Discord complained.

“Lady Teelo may not have chosen the softest words, Discord, but the essence of her point is true, is it not?” The princess responded mildly.

“Yes, well of course it is but it’s rude to come right out and say it!” the draconequus retorted.

“That only leaves her broken back,” Teagan said, turning serious. “Crush did that and I don’t know of any way to fix it, short of the Elements of Harmony. Somehow I don’t think suggesting she allow herself to be blasted by the weapon that turned Discord to stone would go over well.”

“Oh, that’s simple enough,” Discord said airily. “I figured it out in my statuary prison. Since, you know, there wasn’t anything else to do,” he stared at Celestia. “You can only sleep so long, Celestia. Eventually you have to wake up, even from magical sleep.”

Celestia frowned. “I had thought you would stay asleep.”

“Well, I always did suffer from insomnia. So much to do, you know! Or at least there was,” he huffed.

“At any rate, the reason I couldn’t heal myself was because Crush’s magic was keeping mine from reaching outside myself and the repairs had to happen from outside. I won’t have any trouble healing Chrysalis. Assuming you actually want me to do that, little Teagan,” he smirked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Teagan retorted. “Changing her back wouldn’t be much use without healing her too!”

“I was talking about changing her back, actually. You’re clearly assuming the old Chrysalis was as nice as Celestia, and it was mean old Discord who turned her evil,” Discord said, stifling a chuckle. “Newsflash, my dear, sweet, Teagan. She wasn’t nice. If anything, I did you a favor all those years ago. When I transformed her she lost most of her magic. Changing her back means she gets her memories and her magic back, all at once. Her grudge against me pales in comparison to the grudge she bears Equestria. After all, I never killed any of her children.”

He grinned at her.

Teagan’s anger flared, making her waste precious moments controlling it. When she finally spoke her voice was level. “Discord, you may be on the road to reform, but taunting me about having to kill anyone is a huge step backward. I’m trying to make whatever amends I can for what I was forced to do. I suggest you do the same.”

“You have absolutely no sense of humor,” he sighed. “What is it with humans being so stiff necked all the time? You remind me of a certain captain…oh, well. What about it, Celestia? Want to do the right thing and risk a vastly more powerful Chrysalis taking her vengeance? Or do the sensible thing and forget it?”

He steepled his fingers and leaned forward. “I am simply agog to see which path you’ll choose, my exquisite princess.”

ooOoo

Twilight paused, quill hanging forgotten in mid-air as a wave of dizziness passed over her.

Hey, me! Are you there? This is your simulacrum! I can feel you, can you hear me? I’m using the Tairseach Urlabhra spell. There’s an emergency on this side!

Yes, I’m here. Twilight thought, channeling magic toward the presence she could feel hovering deep within her.

It worked! Yes! Ready for link-up?

Twilight increased the flow of magic, knowing the little figurine couldn’t maintain contact very long on its own, even in sunlight. She relaxed and pushed the magic toward the simulacrum.

Okay, here I come, link up in three, two, one…

Spike looked up as Twilight’s horn lit up the room, its bright glow slowly spreading over the sitting alicorn. Her head sank slowly to land on her desk. The quill she’d been using fell silently beside her, blotting the notes she’d been working on.

“Twilight?” He asked uncertainly. “What are you doing?” He approached the slumped alicorn warily, knowing better than to touch her while she was casting. “Twi?” He didn’t recognize the spell, and didn’t understand why she was casting anything at all, she’d just been working on her palace staff scheduling.

“Come on Twilight, you’re scaring me. Snap out of it!” He urged the oblivious alicorn. “This is bad. This is very, very bad! Twilight, come on!

No response.

“Horse apples!” He cursed and then glanced around guiltily to see if anyone had heard him. “I gotta get help!”

He ran to the door and opened it. A unicorn guard on the other side turned to look at him.

“Steeplechase, quick! Get somebody! Twilight’s casting a spell and there was no reason for it! She’s all glow-y and stuff and she’s slumped over on her desk.”

“She is an alicorn, Spike,” the guard replied. “They do strange things all the time.” But he came in to take a look at her, slumped and glowing with pale lavender light, her horn blazing.

“You mean strange—like that?” Spike asked sarcastically.

“Hmm. Maybe we ought to alert one of the mages. Better safe than sorry. Princess Celestia’s out of the castle right now and Princess Luna is asleep…let me find someone.”

He turned and galloped out of the room. Spike settled down and watched the softly glowing alicorn with worried eyes.

ooOoo

The woman knocked impatiently, hope fading that anyone was actually home. She’d been there for five minutes already. Sighing she pulled a letter out of her purse, along with one of her business cards, and opened the screen door enough to let her slip it inside. Closing the door trapped the letter so it would fall out when the door was opened. Having done all she could do she made a cursory inspection of the house and yard, taking a few notes along the way.

“Good repair, no evidence of neglect, quiet neighborhood, well, looks like Millicent’s barking up the wrong tree this time,” the woman said to herself. She sighed and got back in her car. “I’ll talk to the parents and the girl, but right now it looks like a false alarm.”

She drove off, leaving the neighborhood drowsing quietly in the afternoon sun.