• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,018 Views, 190 Comments

My Little Teelo: Masquerade - Ardwolf



Teelo was hoping her "summer school" in Hejm would be dull. Or at least peaceful. She should have known better. It's going to be a LONG summer...

  • ...
8
 190
 1,018

Balance Of Terror

In which we learn why Equestrians prize harmony so highly.

“Why have you sent away the pegasi?” Chrysalis asked incredulously. “Foolish child, now we have no guards!”

“First, those two changelings have burns in their lungs,” Teagan snapped. “Without immediate medical attention they won’t make it. That is not acceptable, Your Majesty. Nobody else dies today. Nobody.”

The queen regarded her with an inscrutable gaze.

“And second?” She asked finally.

Teagan smiled grimly. “It gives Equestria plausible deniability concerning the pact between us. It’s better if Celestia has no official knowledge of it.”

“And why should I pact with you?” Chrysalis asked curiously. “What can you offer me? My life? That threat is growing old, child.”

“You heard Stormwind. Every predator in a ten mile radius is headed straight for us,” Teagan said, smiling. “I wouldn’t have to lift a finger. Just unhitch the travois and walk away. Think your children could get here in time?”

“More threats? Well at least you came up with a new one,” Chrysalis said, rolling her eyes. “A pact has two sides, child. You want something from me. What is it?”

“Your army,” Teagan said bluntly. “They guard us from a distance while we get the hell out of Dodge. It goes without saying if I think you’re double-crossing me then I kill you—something else I didn’t want the pegasi to see since it would just upset them. Ponies can be so squeamish sometimes. In exchange, you and these ten wounded changelings make it to Ponyville, get medical treatment, and I’ll intercede with Princess Celestia on your behalf.”

“Why should she listen to you?” Chrysalis asked suspiciously. “How can I trust you won’t kill me once we’re out of the forest and my changelings are no longer needed? You’ve made it very clear my life means nothing to you.”

“She’s a very good friend of mine,” Teagan replied serenely. “And no, I’m not lying. I’m queen of the trolls, remember? You can believe everything I say. I guarantee you’ll make it to Ponyville alive, that you and your changelings will get medical treatment, and I will speak to Celestia and urge leniency toward you. Of course, I’d be more inspired if I can tell her you willingly refrained from treachery. All you have to do is keep the pact.”

“You’ll ask her to let me go if I do?” Chrysalis asked with a gleam in her eye.

Teagan laughed. “Not likely. But let me put it this way. If I don’t intervene it’s very possible you’ll spend the rest of eternity as a statue decorating the Royal Gardens, just like the last two immortals that pissed her off.”

“It seems I have no choice then,” Chrysalis said with a sigh. “Very well. My children will guard us in exchange for medical treatment for myself and my wounded, and your intervention with Celestia on my behalf. Do we have an accord?”

“So long as you keep your end of the bargain I’ll keep mine,” Teagan said. “Now let’s get out of here.”

Teagan had thought the blind changelings would be next to impossible to lead, but the telepathic bond they shared with their queen allowed her to keep them roughly in position and moving in the right direction.

When they set out Skrent was leading, with Søyle and Emma behind him, and Sun Hammer behind them. Teagan walked beside the queen, Crush in hand and her head on a constant swivel. The wounded changelings were behind her, with Flint bringing up the rear.

The edge of the forest was normally a forty-five minute walk from the Bridge but the blind changelings cut their pace in half. Fortunately Skrent seemed to know the way as they slowly made their way toward safety.

It was a nerve-wracking trip. Although the changelings stayed mostly out of sight and well away from them, occasionally Teagan would catch glimpses of them flitting through the branches and she constantly heard the buzz of changeling wings just on the edge of hearing. She could see Skrent and Søyle watching the flitting changelings the same way she did, and she could see Sun Hammer’s ears pivot constantly.

The only one who didn’t seem all that tense was Emma. She trudged along silently, only occasionally glancing around, but never in response to a changeling getting closer than was comfortable. It was as if she were just walking in the woods, thinking about something.

Half an hour later, and still an hour from the forest’s edge at their reduced speed, Skrent held up his hand to halt the group. He knelt and put his ear to the ground.

He stayed still for nearly a minute before rising and coming back to her.

“Large group of ponies headed this way,” the troll rumbled in a quiet voice. “Two hands of fingers,” he held up his five fingered hands and folded them twice to illustrate. “Be here quick. Three minutes, might be less.”

At least twenty ponies. The Sun Shield, maybe? Teagan thought to herself, hope rising. She didn’t trust the changeling army and would be very happy indeed to have Stormwind and his troop back.

“Your Majesty, have your children fall back, but stay in range just in case they aren’t friendly. Sun Hammer, unhitch the travois so you can fight. Søyle, fall back, so you can guard both Emma and the queen. Flint, watch our back.”

“And if it is the pegasi returning? What of our pact then?” Chrysalis asked as Søyle helped unhitch the travois and lower it gently to the ground.

“Your children leave, we go to Ponyville and I keep my end of the bargain,” Teagan said, rolling her eyes. “Trolls don’t do treachery either, Your Majesty.”

She turned to her best friend.

“You okay?” She asked. Emma was looking pale.

“You were right. I should never have come,” Emma said in a shaky voice. “Is it always this bad?”

“No,” Teagan said. “Today’s been a busy day, even by my standards. Hang in there. This is probably the cavalry coming to the rescue.”

“What if it’s more monsters?” Emma asked. Her face was pinched in worry.

“Here’s something I learned on my first trip, Emma. Don’t borrow trouble. I doubt these are monsters headed our way, but if it is just duck and let Søyle protect you. That way I’ll be free to teach our visitors Monster Manners 101.”

She shrugged. “But like I said, it’s probably not bad guys.”

“I hope you’re right. Hey, what’s with the whole flying thing?” Emma asked to distract herself. “Since when is my best friend a superhero? And how did you make that earthquake?”

“I didn’t, Crush did. Turns out it’s a magical Swiss Army Club. Who knew?” Teagan said, smiling.

The conversation was interrupted by the rumble of fast approaching hooves. To Teagan’s infinite relief it was indeed the Sun Shield, along with a score of Ponyville residents, including Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. Most of the rest were stallions. It was the first time she’d seen stallions outnumber mares in a herd anywhere except the Sun Shield. Teagan didn’t recognize any of the stallions except for Big Mac.

Stormwind landed in front of her while Rainbow Dash hovered behind him, grinning.

“I see you managed to stay alive, Lady Teagan,” Stormwind said in a dry tone. “No doubt in spite of your best efforts.”

“I love you too, Stormwind,” she said, grinning. “I’ve never been so glad to see a herd of ponies in my life! Can we go back to Ponyville now?”

“What? Don’t you want to go dragon hunting?” Stormwind asked snidely. Teagan chuckled.

“Not particularly. I’ve got wounded to attend to. Let’s get back to Ponyville so I can do that and then you can give me a proper chewing out, hmm?”

“Lady Teagan, I am looking forward to it,” he turned away to give the Sun Shield orders. Rainbow Dash took the opportunity to land beside Teagan.

“Whoa, they said you’d captured Chrysalis but I couldn’t believe it!” Rainbow Dash said, staring at the changeling queen, who refused to acknowledge her existence.

“Not helping,” Teagan said tiredly. “Dash, it’s been one hell of a day so far. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very glad to see you, but don’t annoy her, all right? She’s difficult enough as it is.”

“Sorry,” the pegasus sniffed. She caught sight of Emma. “Hey cool, you brought another human! Is she a pegasister too?”

“No, it’s—complicated. Rainbow Dash, I’d like you to meet Emma, my best friend. Emma, this is Rainbow Dash, the fastest pegasus in all of Equestria.”

“You know it!” Rainbow Dash laughed. “Any friend of Teelo’s is a friend of mine. Put her there!” She lifted a hoof. To Teagan’s surprise Emma gently bumped her fist against the bottom of Rainbow’s hoof.

“Hello Rainbow Dash. I’m glad to be finally meeting the real you,” Emma said, trying to sound like she hadn’t spent the better part of the last two hours fearing for her life.

“The real me?” The pegasus cocked her head. “Whatcha mean?”

“I talked to your figurine,” Emma said. “You know, the keepsake you guys gave Teelo?”

“Oh, heh, I’d forgotten about that,” Rainbow Dash chuckled. “It was kind weird to see that thing moving around and talking like me, actually. After all, it might look like me but something that tiny just can’t hold a candle to my true awesomeness!”

Teagan chuckled. “Or your humility, either.”

“Heh, I’m showing off again, aren’t I?” Rainbow Dash laughed nervously. “Rarity says I gotta watch that, but it’s just so hard when you’re as amazing as I am.”

Emma couldn’t stifle a helpless giggle. Teagan felt a profound sense of relief. If she could still laugh then maybe she wasn’t going to be scarred for life.

“Speaking of Rarity, where is she? I would have expected to see her dashing to the rescue along with the rest of you.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “She would have, except the CMC started talking about getting their cutie marks for fighting monsters, and she had her hooves full corralling them. If she hadn’t you know they’d be sneaking off after us and getting in all kinds of trouble.”

Teagan chuckled and nodded. She’d seen Sweetie Belle and the others cause enough chaos on the cartoon.

“Howdy, Teelo! Looks like you done landed smack dab in a pickle!” Applejack came up and eyed Chrysalis. “Heard there was an almighty tussle, too. We got here as soon as we could, sugarcube.”

“Yeah, it’s been a rough day,” Teagan admitted. “Any word on Subtle Dancer?”

“He’s in poor shape, but is gonna pull though. Way I heard it the docs were swearin’ a blue streak at whoever did that ham-hoofed job o’ stitchin’ him up,” Applejack said. “They had ta take ‘em all out so’s they could clean the wounds afore a unicorn healed the cuts proper. Ah didn’t think doctors knew that kind o’ language, truth be told.”

Teagan winced. She was saved when Fluttershy and Pinkie joined the group and brought an end to that particular conversation.

The now much-larger herd set off, each changeling getting a pony to guide them so their pace improved dramatically. Teagan was a bit wary of the way the stallions were eyeing the changelings, but beggars can’t be choosers, so she didn’t say anything.

She introduced Emma to Pinkie, whereupon Pinkie promptly buried Emma in conversation, jokes, questions, and babble. Meanwhile, the other three listened as Teagan filled them in on what had been going on. She left out her repeated threats to kill the queen. Somehow she didn’t think her friends would take it well.

Chrysalis ignored them all, closing her eyes and apparently trying to fall asleep. It didn’t fool Teagan, however. She caught the occasional ear swivel as the queen listened to the story.

When they neared the edge of the forest Teagan excused herself and made her way to Stormwind.

“Okay, if the changelings are going to try jumping us it will be once we clear the trees,” she murmured to the wing commander. He nodded imperceptibly.

“That’s what I would do,” he murmured back. “The Sun Shield will be ready, Lady Teagan.”

“They might not attack,” Teagan said softly. “Chrysalis and I have a fragile understanding. She knows if they attack she’s my first target.”

“Hmm. Better alert your bodyguards,” Stormwind said laconically. She nodded and fell back to Skrent, motioning him to bend down so she could speak privately. The troll nodded after she’d finished.

“What passes, Dronning?” Søyle asked softly as Teagan fell back to walk with her.

“It’s possible the changelings will attack once we clear the trees. Or not, the queen might actually hold to the pact. If she keeps her word, we keep ours. In any case, please continue to guard Emma. I really appreciate this, Søyle.”

“It is my honor to serve you, Dronning,” Søyle said, smiling. “You are nothing like what I expected. I am pleasantly surprised.”

Teagan chuckled. “Yeah, I get that a lot.”

She stopped walking and let the herd pass her by, finally falling into step beside Flint. She quickly filled him in.

He nodded without speaking, ever the silent one. She decided to keep him company, watching the woods to either side as the troll did the same, and kept a wary ear behind them too. She suddenly caught a flash of red and tawny brown off to one side. It vanished as soon as she saw it.

“Manticore,” she whispered to Flint, nodding in that direction.

“Ja, it been tracking us for some time,” Flint rumbled, surprising her by speaking. “Curious—not hungry. We in its territory. It watching.”

“How can you tell?” Teagan asked quietly. “Could it attack?”

Flint shook his head. “We too big mouthful.” There was grim amusement in his tone.

“Too big, or too many of us?” She asked. He thought for a moment.

“Yes,” he said, and then fell silent again.

A couple of minutes later they left the Everfree Forest and stepped into Equestria. Ordinarily, leaving the dark trees gave Teagan a sense of relief, as though she had escaped a trap. Today, Teagan felt safer in the forest, what with the changeling army possibly ready to pounce on them now that they were vulnerable to their fiery dive-bombing attacks.

The Sun Shield shot into the air, forming a protective canopy over the herd, and the pace quickened as much as the blind prisoners would allow.

“Ow!” Chrysalis exclaimed as one travois pole dropped into a depression with a bone-jarring thump. “Watch where you’re going you overgrown lout!”

“Oh, o’ course, Yer Majesty,” Sun Hammer said in mocking apology. “Begging yer pardon, I dinnae ken hou A could be so gye clumsy, ye great mirky besom! Now, shut yer gob an’ enjoy the ride! An’ would it kill ye tae show just a wee bit o’ courtesy?”

“I’m sure your Princess will make sure it does!” Chrysalis snapped nastily.

“Sun Hammer, just ignore her. She’s in a grumpy mood,” Teagan said hastily as the big stallion stopped dead in his tracks. He snorted several times with suppressed anger but started moving again. Teagan couldn’t help but notice his hoof prints were much deeper than just a moment before.

“Your Majesty, insulting the Princess in front of Sun Hammer is a stupid idea,” Teagan hissed in her ear as she leaned over the bound changeling. “Please don’t do that again.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie Pie chimed in. “What’s got you so grouchy, Queen Crabby McCranky pants? Is it cause you’re all tied up and your back legs are caty-wumpus? I know what you need! I’ll sing you a song and cheer you up!” She took a deep preparatory breath.

“Pinky, you remember what the Princess said about you singin’ ta foreign dignitaries?” Applejack asked hastily.

“Thaaaaatttt—I should never do it again?” Pinkie asked brightly. Applejack nodded, smiling.

“That’s right. We don’t want another Appleloosa, now do we, Sugarcube?”

“Hmph. You start one teeny-tiny little war by singing a song and they never let you forget it,” Pinkie grumbled. Chrysalis stared after the pink pony as she marched off, muttering to herself.

“Just so you know, Your Majesty?” Teagan said quietly. “I’d never inflict Pinkie’s singing on any living thing. Even I have limits,” she shuddered. Chrysalis’s eyes widened and her head snapped back around to track Pinkie’s movements.

“Is she really that horrible a singer?” Emma asked. She wore the glazed look everyone got who unexpectedly met Pinkie for the first time.

“Well—not always. That’s the problem,” Teagan said carefully. “We’re almost home and dry, Emma. How are you feeling?”

“Better,” Emma admitted. “Pinkie Pie is—well—”

“Relentless?” Teagan asked, grinning.

“Yeah,” Emma smiled, still slightly stunned. “I don’t know how she did it but I’m feeling almost cheerful.”

“That’s what Pinkie does,” Fluttershy said in a quiet voice. “Hello, you’re Teelo’s friend, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I’m Emma. You’re Fluttershy, right?”

“Oh—yes. How did you know?”

“I talked with your figurine,” Emma said, smiling. “I’m happy to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Fluttershy bobbed her head nervously.

“Fluttershy, Emma’s my best friend. Emma, Fluttershy’s my other best friend. She was the first pony I met here. I was lost in the Everfree and she found me and let me stay at her house the first night.”

“Thank you, Fluttershy,” Emma said earnestly. “I owe you one for taking care of Teelo like that. If you ever need anything you just let me know, okay?”

“Um, okay,” Fluttershy said. “But it really isn’t necessary. I always try to help those in trouble. It’s what I do, you see.”

“You rescue people lost in the woods?” Emma asked, surprised.

“Oh—no. I just happened to run out of medicinal herbs and had to restock my supply. I normally don’t go into the Everfree. It’s very dangerous you know.”

“Yeah, I found that out,” Emma said ruefully. “So what do you do?”

“I take care of animals that get hurt,” Fluttershy said. “And if a pony needs my help I always do my best to help them, just like I do my animals. So when I found Teelo, naturally I helped her too.”

“For which I’ll be eternally grateful,” Teagan said, smiling at the yellow pegasus. “You’re good people, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, my!” Fluttershy blushed, embarrassed by the compliment.

The final minutes passed with amiable conversation and, much to Teagan’s surprise, they arrived in the outskirts of Ponyville without being jumped by the changeling army.

Perhaps her luck was beginning to change.