• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,018 Views, 190 Comments

My Little Teelo: Masquerade - Ardwolf



Teelo was hoping her "summer school" in Hejm would be dull. Or at least peaceful. She should have known better. It's going to be a LONG summer...

  • ...
8
 190
 1,018

Impetus

In which Murphy decides to enliven the play for friend and foe alike.

“Um, aren’t you immortal?” Teagan asked after her initial shock.

“I don’t know,” Celestia replied serenely. “I was born a mortal pony, and I suppose one day I shall die like anypony else. While it’s true I do not age, and alicorns heal much faster than normal, I am not invulnerable. You saw that for yourself during the Nightmare Discord incident.”

“Yeah, but this Glitter character is hardly on Discord’s level,” Emma objected. “I mean he’s a god. Lowercase ‘g’ or not, I doubt this sham unicorn can say the same.”

“Certainly in terms of raw magical ability you are correct, Emma,” Celestia answered calmly. “However, Glitter’s venom has anti-magical properties. It is as deadly to me as it would be to you.”

“Ok, the game just got a lot more dangerous,” Teagan said grimly. “There’s a dozen things I can think of we should be doing right now and none of them involve sitting around chatting.”

“Calm yourself, cousin,” Celestia said soothingly. “While the situation is serious it is nothing I haven’t dealt with before. Equestria has not always been as friendly as it is today. I assure you I am up to the challenge of protecting myself from assassins.”

“A threat to you is a threat to everyone on the planet, Princess,” Teagan said. “It affects the World Below as well. Not to mention you’re a close friend. It makes me angry to think someone is out to kill you.”

“Your Majesty, your concern is appreciated. I am very fond of you as well, but your own plate is overflowing right now. Besides, between the Horns, the Hooves, the Royal Guards, my sister and my own modest magic, I assure you my safety is in good hooves.”

“In other words, don’t teach your grandmother to suck eggs,” Teagan said with a sigh. “I know you’re the expert here, but I worry about you.”

Celestia’s expression turned warm. “I’ll be fine, cousin. Don’t worry so much. Those who wear a crown need never lack for concerns. No need to add to them when you don’t have to.”

Teagan chuckled. “Yeah, pity I’m still learning that.”

Celestia stood up.

“Well, it has been an eventful day and I still have ponies to speak with before I retire.”

“Good night, Princess,” Teagan replied as the alicorn took her leave. She turned to the others at the table.

“As for me, my internal clock’s completely fried with all this world-jumping,” Teagan said. “I’m not ready for bed yet. Think I’ll go into town and see what Canterlot’s night life has to offer. Emma, you wanna come with?”

“Going clubbing in Canterlot?” Emma grinned. “I’m in!”

“Enjoy your evening, Lady Teagan,” Luna rose and nodded to the girls. “Alas, we are bound for Night Court.” She grimaced slightly. “If thee doth seek advice on which venue would be the most pleasurable we believe Faerie Mist might be a useful resource. We lean more toward classical music and opera than—is it dub step? Wub? The styles change so rapidly! We simply cannot keep up.”

“Any idea where she might be tonight?” Teagan asked.

Luna gained the slightest smile. “We believe you might try the armory. She often spends her evenings dining with Sun Hammer.”

“Ah,” Teagan beamed. “Thank you, Your Highness. Come on, Emma. Maybe the two of them would like to come along with us.”

“Didn’t you say Sun Hammer keeps out of sight?” Emma asked curiously as Flint and Skrent silently fell in behind them. “Something about being shunned?”

“It’ll do him good to get out and mingle,” Teagan said dismissively. “Besides, I’ll bet dollars to donuts Faerie Mist will jump all over it.”

Emma followed Teagan’s lead as they walked through a tangle of corridors.

“This place is a maze,” Emma noted after a couple of minutes. “How in the world do you know where you’re going?”

“I asked Subtle Dancer about that,” Teagan replied. “Apparently, the Bridge of Days has something to do with it. He said there was a resonance, you know, like a tuning fork? Anime—no—animaic resonance, that’s it. It’s really complicated, but the basic idea is that Celestia and Luna are linked to the Bridge just like I am because they’re the only ones left who crossed over it originally.

“Since Celestia has spent the last thousand years here her anima permeates the entire castle, every room, every corridor. It lets her move around the castle completely on autopilot. She doesn’t even need to consciously think about it.”

“So—why does that let you do it?” Emma asked, puzzled.

“It’s like we’re halves of the same tuning fork, the Bridge makes me a little sensitive to her anima. Subtle Dancer said normally the effect is too small to notice, but here in the castle her anima is so concentrated I can pick up on it.”

“Meaning?” Emma asked, still lost.

“Meaning as long as I know the name of the place I need to go, like the armory or our suite, I can let my feet guide me. It’s kind of like when somebody reminds you of something you forgot. So I couldn’t tell you how many rooms the castle has, or about some oddball room that I never heard of. But the more Celestia uses a room, the easier it is for me to get there. Like the library for instance. Nobody ever told me there’s a library in the castle but I know exactly where it is. But ask me to find one particular broom closet? Not a clue.”

Emma laughed. “Can you imagine Celestia with a mop and bucket, in a maid’s uniform?”

“Oh, that’s evil, Emma! Now I can’t get that image out of my head!” Teagan began to snicker.

“You’re welcome,” Emma smirked.

The girls finally got to the armory, where a surprised Sun Hammer let them in.

“Good tae see ye lassie!” He said. “A hear ye been a mickle busy o’ late. Ye just caught us finishing up supper, so ya did. Flint, Skrent, good tae see ye lads. Emma, A see nae beastie has had ye fer its supper, yet!”

The brown-haired teen blushed as the huge pony guffawed.

“Yeah, Luna mentioned Faerie Mist would probably be with you,” Teagan answered easily. “I thought the two of you would like to join Emma and me to see what Canterlot’s night life is like. I’ve been hopping back and forth over the Bridge so much my body doesn’t know if it’s day or night anymore. I thought a trip into the city would tire me out so I could sleep.”

“Nou there’s a verra bad idea, lassie. Ye ken that nae pony can stand the sight o’ me,” Sun Hammer protested as he led them back into his personal quarters. “Tis kind o’ ye tae think o’ includin’ me in yer little jaunt, so it be. But A tell ye plain, ‘twould be a muckle byke an no mistake.”

“Do we have guests, Sun Hammer?” A female voice preceded the appearance of Faerie Mist. “Ah, Lady Teagan, Emma! How nice to see you again. I see you finally decided to have mercy on Skrent and Flint and let them do their jobs.”

The lavender pegasus was as relaxed as Teagan had ever seen her. The girl chuckled.

“Yeah, they finally wore me down,” she agreed casting a fond glance over her shoulder at the trolls.

“Now what’s this about a byke?” Faerie Mist asked Sun Hammer. “What is a byke, anyway?”

“Tis a nest fer wasps or hornets,” Sun Hammer said, a smile twitching the corner of his mouth. “Thon quine thought tae ask us oot wi’ her fer a nicht on the town. Twere kindly meant, but an awfu kerfuffle twould be, an no mistake.”

Faerie Mist’s eyes lit up.

“I think that’s a wonderful idea!” She said in excitement. “It’s about time you got out of the palace for a change!”

“Nou hold on there, Mist,” Sun Hammer said with wide eyes. “Ye know whit they call me! Insane Hammer be the least o’ it! Would nae be couthie fer any of us if’n A shoved me muzzle in some feedin’ trough fer nobs! An that’s afore A got shunned!”

“You listen to me Sun Hammer! It’s high time you were recognized for the hero you are,” The pegasus said firmly. “You’ve saved the whole world! Besides, you aren’t crazy! You’re sweet, and kind, and, and—noble. In the true sense of the word, not like those puffed up popinjays that strut through the palace!”

Everyone stared at the pegasus, who was now snorting and pawing the floor.

“Wow,” Teagan said, impressed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone go from mellow to fighting mad quite that fast. Why don’t you tell us what you really think, Faerie Mist?”

The pegasus’s expression smoothed out as though a switch had been flipped.

“I beg your pardon, Lady Teagan. I have never been able to stomach injustice,” the pegasus replied calmly. “The way Sunny is treated is beyond the pale.”

“Mebbe so,” Sun Hammer said with a sigh. “But think o’ yerself, Mist. Bein’ seen wi’ me in public would nae be good fer ye.”

The pegasus snorted again in a decidedly unladylike manner.

“Sun Hammer, you talk too much,” she accused him. “I would very much enjoy going to a night club with you! Now are you going to invite me or not?” Suddenly her expression morphed into puppy dog eyes, and Sun Hammer just wilted.

“Lass, ye dinnae ken how truly awfu this idea be, so ye dinnae,” Sun Hammer said, shaking his head. “But A’ll nae gainsay ye, if’n yer heart be set, daft though it be.”

“Thank you, Sunny! I know the perfect club! Shall we?”

“Lead the way,” Teagan said with a grin. Faerie Mist took the lead and Sun Hammer obediently followed the mare, but his ears were at half mast and his expression stoic.

“Sounds like those two are getting kind of friendly if you ask me,” Emma said in a low voice. “Poor stallion doesn’t have a clue.”

“Yeah,” Teagan said, equally quietly as they followed the Equestrians. “About time something good happened to him.”

The troll brothers kept their thoughts to themselves, as usual.

ooOoo

Faerie Mist led them through the surprisingly busy streets of Canterlot. As far as Teagan could tell it was about ten PM local time but the streets still teemed with ponies and a scattering of other species. Most of the ponies were clearly well-to-do or noble, many wearing fancy evening clothes, although a good portion wore nothing more than their fur or feathers.

“This is my favorite club,” Faerie Mist told Sun Hammer as the group came to a stop before a building squeezed in between its neighbors. The front was covered with the magical illusion of a tropical scene, dominated by a large pool surrounded by various species gathered at tables holding glasses up in a toast. It lit the street as well as a streetlight on Earth would have.

The Watering Hole?” Sun Hammer asked in disbelief. “You come here, Mist? A nae woulda guessed.”

“It’s not very refined,” the pegasus admitted, “but a mare can let down her mane here without worrying too much about amorous stallions. The management keeps a tight rein on the rowdy element without getting in your face. It’s popular with other species, too.”

Sun Hammer was looking at her with a big grin on his face.

“A used tae come here a lot,” he reminisced. “A cannae believe tis yer favorite, it twere always mine too, so it was. The up-muzzles would ne’er be caught deid here, so they would nae.”

“Something else we have in common then! Come on, we’re burning moonlight.” Faerie Mist trotted to the end of the line, which was moving fairly quickly. Teagan noted most of the hopefuls were turned away by the pair of stallions acting as bouncers.

“Think we’ll get in?” Emma asked sotto voce, glancing casually at the rather intimidating pair.

“No idea,” Teagan said. “At least they shouldn’t care about our age. I doubt they have any way of judging that in humans.”

When the group reached the bouncers Faerie Mist smiled at the one on the left.

“Hi Bouncy! There’s six of us tonight,” she said in a chipper tone, quite unlike her normal voice.

Bouncy? Teagan thought incredulously, keeping her poker face with difficulty. His name is really Bouncy? What in the world were his parents thinking?

“You may enter, Lady Mist. Lady Teagan and her guest are also welcome, but not him,” Bouncy replied, staring coolly at Sun Hammer, who gazed back mildly, “The trolls will have to stay outside as well.”

“Told ye, lassie,” Sun Hammer said with a resigned sigh. He had, however, not reckoned with Faerie Mist’s sense of justice. Or the fact she’d been Celestia’s first lady-in-waiting for several years.

“That’s too bad, Bouncy,” she said with a frown. “I’m certainly not going in without my date, so I guess we’ll just have to go elsewhere. And here I thought the Hole was the most cosmopolitan club in Canterlot. I’ll just have to pass the word you guys have lost your edginess. Such a pity. Well, everypony, shall we go? I’m sorry this was such a disappointment, Sun Hammer. Please forgive me—they used to be such a wonderful club.” She turned to leave.

Bouncy was clearly caught in a bind.

“Um, if you and your party would care to wait here I’ll see what I can do, Lady Mist.” Bouncy said uncomfortably. “We certainly don’t want to disappoint guests of your caliber. The Watering Hole prides itself on providing the finest and safest venue in Canterlot after all. Excuse me a moment.”

Teagan could see the flash of satisfaction in the mare’s eyes as the bouncer hurried through the door. The other bouncer politely escorted them to a roped off area to one side of the door.

“A be a mickle uncomfortable aboot this, Mist,” Sun Hammer said with a lowered voice. “Tis clear A’m not wanted here, so it be. Cannae say they be in the wrong, ye ken.”

“Well I can,” Faerie Mist said firmly. “There comes a time, Sun Hammer, when one has to stand up and demand fair treatment. Sometimes you’re too noble for your own good. Now that I know this was your favorite club I’m not about to let them keep you out. Just stay calm and let me deal with it.”

She winked suddenly. “Call it a reward in recognition of all you’ve ever done for me.”

“Whit A done for ye?” He asked, confused. “An’ whit be it A done fer ye? Mind ye, A certainly would be willin’, just dinnae ken what ye mean.”

“You saved my life, Sunny,” Faerie Mist said, suddenly serious. “Then you let me see the real you. So let me do this for you. Please.”

Sun Hammer studied the mare for a moment, and then slowly nodded. “All right, lassie. A ken ye’ll dae this thing come Tartarus or high water, so A’ll nae stand in yer way. A just hope ye’ll nae regret it.”

Teagan and Emma were squee-ing inside as they watched the interaction. Teagan kept her poker face but Emma was grinning. The trolls looked on impassively.

Just then Bouncy came back through the door and bowed to Faerie Mist. “My apologies for keeping you waiting, Lady Mist. If you and your party will follow me, a table has been prepared.”

“For six?” She asked politely.

“Yes, my lady,” Bouncy replied. “Sorry for any inconvenience. The management would like you to know your party’s food and drinks tonight are on the house as an apology.”

“Very well,” Faerie Mist nodded. “I’m glad to see the Hole hasn’t become stuffy after all.”

ooOoo

Lady Silkwind was holding court in one corner of the club when a moving bubble of silence started to grow. Casually she glanced over to find the cause, her predatory instincts triggered by the feel in the air. What she saw was Celestia’s first lady-in-waiting walking next to a large rough-looking stallion with shaggy mane and an eye patch, scars running down his chest. His furless scarred foreleg bore silent testament to the battles he’d survived.

Even though she knew Sun Hammer by description she’d never actually seen him. But what held her attention was the crowd’s reaction to him. Mares stepped back warily while stallions’ eyes narrowed and their ears raked back not quite flat to their head, clearly preparing for trouble.

Like all griffins posted to Canterlot she was skilled at reading pony body language, and the crowd’s reaction to Sun Hammer screamed predator on the prowl. She cocked her head curiously, noting that Sun Hammer walked easily though his flickering ears indicated he was alert to everything around him. To her eyes he certainly didn’t appear to be a clear and present danger.

Sun Hammer had so thoroughly engaged her attention she almost ignored the other creatures trailing the ponies.

“Is that Lady Teagan?” A unicorn mare in her circle asked excitedly. Silkwind blinked, her gaze snapping to the pair of weird bipeds between the ponies and the trolls.

“I do believe it is,” the griffiness said in an interested tone. “Do you know her, Scented Flower?”

“I’ve seen her at court several times,” the mare replied, “but we’ve never been formally introduced. She’s the queen of the trolls, you know.”

“Indeed? How is it that they allowed a non-troll to become their queen?” Silkwind asked innocently, although she already knew.

“It’s an amazing story!” The deep blue unicorn said with an excited lilt in her voice. She tossed her head to clear away the fiery red mane from her eyes. “She’s actually Princess Celestia’s cousin, can you believe it? It’s an epic tale, Lady Silkwind, absolutely the stuff of legends! It goes all the way back to before ponies even came to Equis!”

“Fascinating, but what does that have to do with the trolls?” Silkwind enquired with clear interest.

“Well, Lady Teagan carries their sacred club, Smash, or is it Crunch? Anyway, see it there on her back?” Scented Flower was clearly enjoying being the center of attention. “Because the club is magical it can only be wielded by the king or queen of the trolls.”

“Huh, doesn’t look that heavy,” a minotaur snorted disdainfully. “Little stick, if you ask me.”

“Appearances may deceive, Strong Back,” Silkwind remarked. “Magic does not follow mundane rules, you know. Princess Sparkle is living proof of that.”

“Well, if it’s some all powerful weapon why does she have bodyguards then?” Strong Back protested. “She shouldn’t need them. Over Power doesn’t.”

“What the Minotaur King chooses to do is his business,” an earth pony stallion interjected. “Besides, Princess Celestia has bodyguards. Are you implying she’s weak?”

The minotaur snorted, but remained silent. The stallion smirked at the discomforted bull.

Continuing to chat amiably with her circle of sycophants, she kept a close eye on the queen’s party. She noted how the staff paid particular attention to Faerie Mist and the troll queen. The queen’s companion, Emma, also received extra consideration too. She noted the troll bodyguards were shown typical pony courtesy, but Sun Hammer was given only professional service, not the lavish attention paid to the females. It was so subtle no one could complain, but the contrast was obvious to her.

Most interesting, however, was the way Faerie Mist interacted with Sun Hammer. It was clear she didn’t disdain him, and unless Silkwind was very much mistaken he was actually her date for the evening.

Both the troll queen and her companion treated Sun Hammer as an equal, something that wasn’t lost on the crowd keeping surreptitious watch on the queen’s table. For his own part he appeared equally at ease with Faerie Mist, the human females, and even the trolls. Silkwind noted with curiosity that the queen interacted with the trolls less like subjects and more like friends, constantly drawing them into the group’s discussion, although the bodyguards never said much.

After a half hour or so the crowd had lost interest in the queen’s party and Silkwind gracefully disengaged from her acquaintances to move around and gather what gossip she might.

The Watering Hole didn’t cater to the upper crust of Canterlot society—Prince Blueblood would rather take a public mud bath than sully his hooves in such a plebian establishment. She chuckled silently as she tried to picture the fussy noble sitting with the queen’s party—and failing utterly.

No, this particular club served a slightly less rarified strata of the populace. Guards and their officers often came here, along with rebellious young minor nobles, just past foalhood but not yet fully adult. It was also popular with the more successful craft ponies and some merchants.

All in all it was a marvelous hunting ground for Silkwind, who was always amazed at how much information these second tier citizens had and how freely they gossiped about it. The club’s aggressive species blindness was also a boon to her since griffins were common visitors and went unremarked.

She watched the queen and her companion move to the dance floor as the DJ changed the music to what the ponies called “the wubs”. She took up a position on the edge of the dance floor, curious to see the bipeds dancing. She wondered if humans would dance like minotaurs, who tended toward intricate stomping rhythms and slow traveling circles. The only other bipedal species she was aware of, the diamond dogs, didn’t actually dance as other species understood the term. Their version of dancing involved the entire pack in a stylized hunt and chase, with acrobatic leaps and as much time spent on all fours as bipedal. Given the uncivilized nature of diamond dogs it was perhaps not surprising they didn’t participate in the club scene.

So it was with an intense gaze she watched the troll queen and her companion as they moved to the music. The first thing she noticed was they didn’t dance as a couple, each female danced without regard to the other, although they occasionally would dance briefly with a stallion, staying with any given partner less than a minute before moving on.

The second thing she noticed was how sinuous the humans were, constantly bending their bodies in ways a pony or griffon simply couldn’t. She found herself amazed that the two didn’t simply fall over with some of the weird contortions they went into, often only keeping one foot on the floor as the rest of their body seemed to float on the air in defiance of gravity and common sense. She had to admit that while both were graceful in their movements the queen was far more so, moving with the speed of a predator while her companion was slower and not as polished.

The third thing she noticed was how supple the humans’ limbs seemed to be. The range of their motion was greater than that of a pony or a griffin, even minotaurs didn’t have that same fluidity. It reminded Silkwind of the boneless grace of snakes.

When the dance ended the two humans returned to their table. They were laughing and panting just a bit. Silkwind observed almost everyone in the crowd had watched the two dance; obviously as curious about them as she was.

The griffiness was about to approach and see if she could introduce herself to the queen when she noticed Faerie Mist, hovering by the raised DJ booth. Intrigued she decided to stay where she was and watch.

Taking advantage of the clear air above the dancers Faerie Mist darted over to her table and urged a clearly reluctant Sun Hammer onto the floor. The crowd quickly backed away to give the two plenty of room, their unease spiking now that the rough stallion was moving.

A plucked string instrument of some sort began to play. The pegasus grinned at her partner as his head came up in shocked recognition. The slow plucking was joined by another strummed instrument Silkwind didn’t recognize, followed by an insanely fast set of violins.

A/N: The music is The Auld Pipe Reel – The Brolum by Silly Wizard if you want to listen on YouTube.

And then Faerie Mist’s hooves began to move, tapping against the wooden dance floor in a style reminiscent of minotaur stomp, except the taps were light, sharp, and so fast she seemed to lift slightly off the floor from the repeated impacts.

“Come on, Sun Hammer! I’ve been practicing this for days!” The pegasus called out happily. Sun Hammer grinned suddenly and his own hooves began to smack against the floor, the odd hoof shoes he wore only slightly muffling the impacts.

“Aye then, lass! Show me the fire in ye!” the stallion called over the thunder of eight hooves striking multiple times per second.

Impossibly, the music increased its pace and the two ponies matched it, their front and rear legs rapidly crossing on alternate taps in an impressive show of hoofwork. Silkwind’s beak fell open as they suddenly began to orbit their partner; hoof impacts still letting them float just a hairsbreadth above the floor.

Sun Hammer was grinning like a crazy pony as the pegasus kept up with up with him. She laughed and suddenly started revolving around her own middle even as she kept their mutual orbit.

“Ha! Ye’re a marvel, lass, so ye be!” Sun Hammer shouted to be heard as he matched her pivot, the two ponies moving in eerie synchronization. Their orbit ended, leaving them aligned front to back, offset by a leg’s length side to side, with Sun Hammer a body length in front, hooves still flying. As Silkwind watched the ponies moved until they were side by side, then pivoted and moved back to face each other. Sun Hammer bowed his head only to have Faerie Mist return the gesture; all the while both ponies’ flashing hooves kept them balanced a whisker’s width above the floor.

Before the song had ended the pair had executed a number of intricate maneuvers, including one where Faerie Mist pivoted in place while Sun Hammer orbited her, only to reverse the move and leave Sun Hammer in the middle, all without any spoken signals. How the lady-in-waiting had mastered the complex dance Silkwind couldn’t imagine. An accomplished dancer herself, the griffiness understood how difficult the ponies’ dance truly was.

The music ended, leaving both ponies blowing hard from the strenuous display. The room suddenly erupted with pony applause, hooves alternating against the hard wooden floor. Sun Hammer just grinned and waved a leg to the crowd, before he and his partner returned to their table.

“Did you see that?” Silkwind heard an earth pony mare ask her unicorn friend, still applauding. “What kind of dance was that?”

“I saw it and I still can’t believe it!” Her friend replied. “I didn’t know ponies could do that. It was amazing!”

“I know! Tonight’s one for the record books! Who would have believed that savage could actually dance? Or find a mare willing to go out with him? A pegasus no less. Talk about your polar opposites! And she’s beautiful too.”

“I want to know why any mare would date him, much less a pegasus,” the unicorn responded. “Oh, sweet Celestia! Theyre sitting with Lady Teagan! What in the world?”

“Did you see Lady Teagan and her friend dancing before that? They’re part pony too, you know.” The earth pony said conspiratorially. “But they eat meat!”

Really? That can’t be right, surely? I heard she’s Princess Celestia’s cousin. My aunt is a maid in the castle, and she said another maid heard the Princess say it. To Lady Teagan’s face! But they look more like monkeys than ponies!”

“Well, that just proves it, right? If she’s the Princess’s cousin then she’s got to be part pony! How else could they be cousins? Even if she does look like a monkey.”

If you only knew the truth, Silkwind thought, laughing inside.

“Well, yes. But she’s also the troll queen. Speaking of which, what’s the deal with ponies being trolls?” The unicorn asked in confusion. “I mean that’s what everybody’s saying, isn’t it? But I don’t look anything like a troll, do I?”

“No, of course not,” the earth pony said dismissively. “It’s some kind of weird troll custom. You know how thick-headed they are. Anyway, Lady Teagan is their queen because she was able to pick up that magic club whatsit.”

“They call it Pound,” the other mare said confidently. “It’s supposed to be able to talk, and it’s thousands of years old! Some wizard made it or something.”

“Huh, wonder what the trolls did to get a unicorn to make something like that? You think it was Star Swirl the Bearded?”

“Must have been,” the unicorn agreed. “Everybody knows trolls aren’t smart enough to cast magic. Besides, they don’t have horns. You can’t cast magic without a horn, right?”

“I wouldn’t know,” the other mare laughed. “I’m an earth pony, in case you’d forgotten.”

“Trust me,” the unicorn said confidently. “No horn, no magic.”

Silkwind left the two ponies to expound on their deliciously amusing misconceptions. Her prey had given her ample ammunition to ingratiate herself and the gossip, as amusing as it was, had little substance.

No, it was time to curry favor with the troll queen. Her dear friend would most certainly be pleased the next time they met…

ooOoo

“Excuse me,” A pleasant voice broke into their conversation. Teagan turned to find a gigantic eagle staring at her from less than two feet away. She stiffened in instinctive alarm, her arm twitching as she almost reached for Crush. The eagle’s beak opened and the refined voice sounded apologetic.

“Please accept my apology for startling you. I normally wouldn’t have approached so closely but the noise in here,” a set of talons three inches long gestured over the club around them, “makes normal conversation difficult. My name is Silkwind. I believe you are Lady Teagan?”

“Um, yeah,” Teagan said, finally noticing the “eagle” actually had the body of a lion as well as the forepart of an eagle. “You’re a griffin, right?”

“That is correct,” the griffiness bobbed her head. “I’ve actually wanted to meet you for some time, ever since Princess Celestia spoke of you, in fact.”

“Oh, you know the Princess?” Teagan asked, relaxing just a bit.

She must be a diplomat or something, Teagan thought to herself. What did Celestia say about griffins? They love intrigue and political games? Oh boy, this is going to be fun. Not.

“I consider her a friend,” Silkwind agreed. “I noticed you and your friend dancing, and then I saw Sun Hammer and Faerie Mist’s absolutely stunning performance. I’m something of a dancer myself so I was fascinated to see such novel dances.”

“Hello, Lady Silkwind,” Faerie Mist joined the conversation. “I’m surprised such a high-ranking griffiness would come to a club like this. I’d think the Smoking Eyrie would be more to your taste.”

“Oh dear no,” the griffiness laughed. “I do go there, of course, but the Eyrie caters to male griffins. Which, while delightful, can be a bit…exhausting. Males are so very competitive, you see. Here I can relax, there are fewer expectations. Not to mention the mix of species is so interesting, don’t you think?” The griffiness beamed.

“Tis a lively place, so it be,” Sun Hammer commented, sipping a large mug of cider. “Ye know Faerie Mist, then?”

“Oh, yes,” Silkwind laughed. “We see each other on a weekly basis, don’t we, Lady Mist?”

“True,” Faerie Mist nodded with a slight smile. “Lady Silkwind often visits Princess Celestia for tea. As the shadow liaison for the Gryphus embassy she and I have gotten to know one another quite well over the last several months. She is an absolute paragon of the griffin ideal.”

“You flatter me,” the griffin said, lowering her eyes modestly and making a dismissive gesture with her taloned paw.

Teagan sat back and let Matt’s training kick in. Faerie Mist’s odd comment was a red flag, and certainly a subtle warning for her to be on her guard. Silkwind was a high-ranking diplomat, a shadow liaison, whatever that might be. Whatever it was, if she had tea with Princess Celestia, she was a mover and shaker.

If griffins love intrigue, and she’s a paragon, then she’s not to be treated lightly, Teagan thought with an inward sigh. She kept her face pleasantly neutral, but started paying close attention to the conversation.

“Hi, would you like to join us?” Emma asked suddenly. “I’m Emma.”

“I would be honored, Lady Emma,” Silkwind said, stepping forward and settling on cushion at the last open place at their table, which happened to be between Sun Hammer and Flint, placing her directly across from Emma.

“I’m something of an amateur speciologist, although its mere dabbling, you understand,” Silkwind said. “Given my duties, I naturally know the most about ponies, but I find all species fascinating. However, this is my first opportunity to meet humans. Princess Celestia mentioned you come from another world? I didn’t even know other worlds existed.”

“That’s right,” Teagan said pleasantly. “There’s a magical gateway called the Bridge of Days between Earth and Equestria. My first trip here was courtesy of Discord,” her voice chilled just a bit, “doing what Discord does. Before that I didn’t know Equestria actually existed.”

“Really? Actually existed? Whatever do you mean?” Silkwind asked in polite interest.

She’s sharp, careful Teagan! The girl thought to herself.

“Well, in our world there are sets of plays about Equestria,” Teagan explained. “They’re for little girls, really. But the last set was so well done and interesting adults started watching them too. I hadn’t paid too much attention to them, so you can imagine my surprise to find myself here.”

“That would explain the tea parties, then,” Silkwind murmured.

Teagan grinned. “Yeah, there have been several different sets of the plays, aimed at different age groups. The ones for really young girls gave Equestria the reputation it was just dressing up and having tea parties all the time. Since I hadn’t paid attention to the latest plays, those plays were the ones I knew the most about.”

“Ah, that explains it then,” Silkwind nodded. “I had wondered.”

“This is the first time I’ve met a griffin,” Teagan said, probing the waters. “You aren’t what I expected a griffin to be like at all.”

“Oh? In what way, Lady Teagan?” The griffiness enquired.

“Well, I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I thought you’d be—fiercer. As a combination of two predatory species, I mean—aaaannnndddd I just committed a faux pas, didn’t I?” She apologized, blushing at the way Silkwind’s expression froze. “Sorry about that.”

She was glad the club’s dim lighting made it impossible for anyone to see how red her face was.

“A combination?” Silkwind asked with frigid courtesy. “I really don’t understand what you mean.”

“Well, you know, part lion and part eagle?” Teagan said helplessly.

“Oh. Oh, I see,” Silkwind said, relaxing with a chuckle. “Silly me, I had forgotten you were queen of the trolls. Such a straightforward species! They do call us catbirds, I believe. Thus your confusion is understandable. I do not take offense, although there are some griffins who would.”

“Thank you,” Teagan said, smiling in relief. “As you said, trolls aren’t the most subtle of species.”

“That is well known,” Silkwind said, nodding. “However, you are a human, aren’t you? Not a troll?”

“Dronning is troll,” Skrent spoke up, frowning. “She is Dronning.”

“It’s—complicated,” Teagan admitted. “Biologically speaking, I am human. Legally speaking I am a troll. Literally speaking, I am one third pony. Or rather, ponies are one third human. Which makes ponies trolls too—at least legally.”

“It is the Law,” Skrent intoned solemnly as his brother nodded.

Teagan gestured. “As Sun Hammer would say, so it be. Discord thinks the whole situation is absolutely hilarious.”

Silkwind shuddered at the mention of the draconequus. “Discord is a friend of yours?” She asked uneasily, wondering just how this news would upset her plans.

“Um, no,” Teagan shook her head emphatically. “We started off as deadly enemies—I’m sure you’ve heard about that particular fight, right? Thanks to Princess Celestia our relationship has graduated from homicidal mania to uneasy armed truce—but we’re definitely not friends.”

Silkwind breathed a silent sigh of relief. The troll queen being friends with the god of chaos was not a factor she wanted to have to deal with.

“I must admit being relieved to hear you say that,” Silkwind said, relaxing. “Historically, Discord’s rule was a disaster for griffins. It nearly wiped us from the skies of Equis. He is not well regarded among my species.”

“Color me surprised,” Teagan said drily. “Even as—reformed—as he is now, he’s still not to be trusted.”

“On this, we agree, Lady Teagan,” Silkwind said, snapping her beak in a uniquely griffin gesture of emphasis that was, none the less, unmistakable to every species seated around the table.

Emma yawned suddenly. Teagan frowned, then followed suit.

“Darn it Emma! You know that’s contagious,” she mock scolded her friend.

“Well it is getting late,” Emma pointed out. “Between the dancing and the food I’m ready for bed. We do have to get up early tomorrow to catch the train.”

“Yeah, so we do,” Teagan yawned again. “I think I’ll finally be able to sleep now. Faerie Mist, Sun Hammer, I guess we’ll see you at the end of summer. This was a lot of fun, thank you for bringing us.”

“Well then, lassie, we’ll be escortin’ ye back tae the castle, so we will,” Sun Hammer said with just a hint of resignation. Teagan shook her head firmly.

“No you won’t! Stay here and enjoy yourself, Sun Hammer. Between Skrent and Flint and the wing of the Sun Shield Princess Celestia insists on, we’ll be fine. Unless you want us to escort the two of you?” She grinned.

Sun Hammer snorted. “Off with ye, minx! A can see Mist an masel safe home, so A can. There be muckle few willin’ tae mess wi me, ye ken?”

“Aye,” Teagan said, grinning. “Lady Silkwind, it’s been a pleasure, but we have to go.”

“Are you returning to Hejm tomorrow by any chance?” Lady Silkwind asked politely.

“Yeah, I’ll be spending the summer there,” Teagan said.

“I wonder then if I might ask a boon of you, Your Majesty?” The griffiness asked, bowing her head. “I have business back in Gryphus, so I wonder if I might travel with you? Gryphus is only a day’s flight from Hejm’s mountain and I would feel safer traveling there in a large party rather than merely with a pair of bodyguards. The wilds have become somewhat—wilder, of late.”

Teagan paused, glancing at Faerie Mist, who looked surprised, and then at the troll brothers, who stayed impassive. Clearly, the decision was up to her.

“Um, I don’t think that will be a problem, Lady Silkwind. Of course we’ll be traveling on foot about a third of the way, it’s a fifty-mile hike to Hejm from the closest point the train reaches. Are griffins used to traveling on the ground like that?”

“While it’s true we normally fly such long distances, Your Majesty, griffins are quite capable of traveling on our paws,” Lady Silkwind assured the girl. “As a species we are quite tough.”

“Will you be bringing any guards with you?” Teagan asked. The griffiness nodded.

“Yes, two bodyguards. We still have to fly the rest of the way to Gryphus through the wild.”

“Well, that’s fine then,” Teagan said, extending her fist. She had no desire to shake Lady Silkwind’s taloned paw, but she suspected griffins were versed in pony etiquette. Sure enough the griffiness extended a loosely curled paw and gave Teagan’s fist a light bump.

“The train will be leaving at eight, you should probably get there about fifteen minutes beforehand so you can settle in,” Teagan said.

Silkwind nodded. “We will be there, Lady Teagan. Would it be all right if I accompanied you now? My dwelling lies between here and the castle.”

“Of course.” Teagan nodded.

ooOoo

The streets were definitely deserted on their walk back, the darkness barely relieved by the magical lights that were the pony equivalent of streetlights. Five minutes after leaving the club Emma shivered as a chill breeze swept by her.

“Is it just me or is Canterlot kind of creepy this late at night?” she asked quietly, her voice breaking the silence.

“No, I feel it too,” Teagan replied, eyes darting around. It didn’t help her peace of mind that the trolls were glaring around suspiciously. “Skrent, what’s up?”

“Something watching us, Dronning,” the troll growled. “Something hungry.”

“I can feel it too, Lady Teagan,” Silkwind said, her feathers fluffing in an instinctive attempt to appear larger. Her wings half spread as she glared around with narrowed eyes. “We are being stalked, although I cannot say by what.”

“Wonderful,” Teagan sighed. She drew Crush, the eyes in her mind opening.

Do you see anything? She asked Crush silently.

Yes, they are all around us, Crush replied. A dozen of them, keeping to the shadows of the buildings. If they attack do not let them bite you.

A dozen what? Teagan demanded irritably. What about the bite? Is it poisonous?

Skygge ulver—shadow wolves, Crush replied. Their bite inflicts a magical wasting disease which is always fatal within hours if left untreated. They are creatures of the Deep Dark and are not afraid to hunt prey larger than themselves. They rush in, bite, and retreat, waiting for their prey to die. Many trolls have fallen to their raids over the years.

How did they end up in Canterlot then? Teagan demanded angrily. We’re a hundred and fifty miles from Hejm!

I don’t know. You should warn the others.

“Listen, everyone! Crush says we’re surrounded by a dozen shadow wolves—um, trolls call them skygge ulver. Their bite inflicts a magical disease that can kill you in hours. They like hit and run attacks so watch out. Hey, Stormwind! They live underground so they may not be expecting attacks from above!

“You heard Lady Teagan! Alpha wing form an umbrella! Beta wing, perch yourselves on whatever high ground you can find, second or third stories! Be ready to pounce and bounce! Don’t give those things a chance to fight back!

“Lady Silkwind, you may want to sit this one out,” Teagan said to the fluffed up griffiness.

“I will pretend I did not just hear you insult my honor, Your Majesty,” Silkwind said in a mild tone as she spread her wings. “I will join the pegasi making attacks from above. These things will rue the day they dared attack a griffin!” She let out an ear-splitting combination of screech and roar that froze Teagan’s blood and launched into the air. The downdraft from her wings whipped the young queen’s hair around.

“Emma, get between me and the trolls. Skrent, Flint, help me form a circle around Emma! If one of those shadow wolves gets near us, kill it.

Ja, Dronning,” Skrent roared.

“What is going on here?” A loud imperious voice demanded. “Who is making all that racket? Stop it at once.”

The voice belonged to a stallion who stalked down the street with an angry glare. It was too dark to see his coloration, but she could tell by the bulky silhouette he was dressed in the usual fashion of the nobility.

“Crap! Stormwind, get that idiot out of here!” Teagan yelled. Then she noticed a dark shape detach from the building behind the offended noble.

Crush, time to play Rail Gun! Teagan thought as she clawed at the pouch containing the bits that Celestia had given her months ago just before the infamous Butterscotch Pie incident. She laid a single coin on the club, where it clung as though magnetic. Lifting the club she faced the coin toward the slinking shadow, now perilously close to the oblivious stallion.

She tilted the club slightly back and then forward, less than three inches all told. Much as it had with Discord during her flashback Crush transferred its mass into the coin, multiplied by the speed of the gentle push.

Since the movement was far slower than Teagan had used hitting Discord and since Crush didn’t use anywhere near its full weight the amount of energy transferred to the coin was considerably less than Discord had received during his cataclysmic encounter with it.

However it was still sufficient to live up to the name Teagan gave the trick.

The coin accelerated to nearly ten times the speed of sound. By the time it hit its target it was nothing more than an elongated needle of molten gold which passed through its target almost instantly, transferring only enough energy leave a six-inch exit wound before burrowing into the cobblestones below the now extremely dead shadow wolf.

The rest of the coin’s twenty tons of kinetic energy instantly converted to heat, becoming a pretty good landmine. Fortunately for the unwitting noble, the dead wolf absorbed the force of the blast and the fragments of cobblestone shrapnel that followed.

Of course Mother Nature does not approve of coins traveling that fast. She made her displeasure known with a massive thunder-clap as the superheated air in the path of the coin slammed back together.

A trail of fire momentarily lit the night as the dust in the coin’s flight path ignited from the heat. Nature’s last grumble—the shockwave of the coin passing three feet away—was enough to knock the noble off his hooves, to lay stunned and twitching on the cobbles.

Complete silence followed as friend and foe alike evaluated if they really wanted to be where they were. Silkwind held her position from sheer disbelief, staring at the rear half of the dead wolf that had been hurled into the illumination of a magical streetlamp.

As for the shadow wolves, the thunderous death of their pack mate seemed to give them pause.

Think they’ll still attack? Teagan asked Crush mentally.

Shadow wolf packs often lose members in the hunt, was Crush’s discouraging reply. It will take two or three more dying before they consider us too dangerous to hunt.

Great, she thought sourly.

“Heads up, this isn’t over!” The girl yelled to the pegasi swarming above. “Somebody pull that noble out of harm’s way now.

To her relief Lady Silkwind came swooping down and wrapped all four legs around the pony’s body, lifting him up with clearly labored wing beats.

“Teelo, what the heck are those things doing here?” Emma asked fearfully. “We’re in the middle of a city. Aren’t wolves supposed to live in the forest?”

“These things live underground, remember?” Teagan answered, her eyes searching the shadows for another target. “No way is this random. We’re being targeted.”

“You think Dustiness sent them?” Emma ask

“Duisternis, and that’s a dumb question. Of course they did.” Teagan snapped, still looking for the enmey.

Crush, can we retreat?

No, they have surrounded us.

Too bad trolls can’t—fly… Teagan paused as her brain rebooted. She noted that only she, Emma, and the trolls were still on the ground. The rest of their party was either perched on second and third story balconies and roofs or actually flying.

Crush, any buildings clear of those things? She thought urgently to the eyes in her head.

The building you are now facing. You killed the wolf by it.

Perfect.

Teagan grinned savagely. “Hey, Stormwind! How good are your pegasi at catching falling ponies in mid-air?”

“You crazy human!” Stormwind’s annoyed voice came back. “What are you planning now?”

How good are they?” She bellowed, watching shadows detach from three of the buildings. A quick look around showed the wolves were creeping forward on every side.

“We’ve trained for it in case of chariot accidents, Your Majesty,” Stormwind’s sarcastic voice came back. “But it’s not recommended!”

“Not a lot of choice here!” She called back. “Emma, do you trust me?”

“Uh…” the girl looked around at the closing wolves. “Is that a trick question?”

Do you trust me?” Teagan demanded harshly, extending Crush.

“Yes,” Emma said, gulping. She grabbed Crush.

“INCOMING”, Teagan bellowed as she flipped the screaming girl into the sky, Crush transferring just enough of its momentum to accelerate the flailing teen so she would pass beside a hovering pegasus some fifty feet up, hopefully slowly enough to be caught.

Teagan didn’t have time to watch and see if Emma made it, she turned to Flint, extending the club.

“Move it, Flint, that’s an order,” Teagan snarled. “You two will end up on that roof. I’ll be right behind you. Now do it!”

Flint didn’t hesitate, and was sent hurtling toward the roof, Skrent following on his brother’s figurative heels.

Crush warned her just in time to turn and smash a wolf in mid leap. It went flying backward and smashed into another wolf. Before the rest of the pack could close to attack Crush’s glow surrounded her as she shot straight upward, narrowly missing a pegasus in her hasty retreat.

Did Emma make it? She asked Crush, frantically looking around.

Yes, she’s riding one of the guards. The girl sagged in relief, directing Crush so she plunged down toward the pair of trolls perched on the roof of a three story building. She made sure Crush reversed her fall and absorbed the impact so she didn’t damage the building. Her “little moment” with Discord had left her keenly aware that playing super-hero with the landscape could get expensive.

Besides, it would be rude to destroy someone’s business when she didn’t have to.

“You two ok?” Teagan asked.

“Ja, Dronning,” Skrent said while his brother just nodded. Satisfied she turned and waved at the pegasus carrying Emma to come to them.

“Wing Commander, form on me!” she called loudly.

The first to land on the roof was Silkwind, followed by a pair of pegasi lugging the still unconscious noble. Fortunately, the moon had risen high enough to cast pale light on the roof. It revealed a yellow-green stallion with a lighter lime-green mane and tail. He was dressed in a frock coat with a ruffled white shirt underneath and a scarlet cravat around his neck.

And I thought I’d already seen the height of garishness, Teagan thought to herself.

“Is he all right?” She asked one of the pegasi who had carried him.

“Got a nasty bump on the noggin from the cobbles, Lady Teagan,” the pegasus replied calmly. “We should get Stitch to take a look, but he should be fine, though I wouldn’t want his headache come morning.”

“Lady Silkwind, thank you for rescuing him,” Teagan said, bowing to the griffin. “Where is Stitch anyway?”

“Right here, Lady Teagan. I see you’ve gifted me with another patient, how thoughtful!” The medic said cheerfully as he landed.

“Always on the look-out for the perfect gift, Stitch,” She said with a chuckle. Just then Emma’s guard landed, with a clearly freaked out girl on his back.

“You ok, Emma?” Teagan asked in concern.

“Just peachy,” the brown-haired girl snapped. “Remind me not to book a flight on Crush Airlines anymore. It’s way too breezy. By the way, have I mentioned I’m afraid of heights?”

“Since when?” Teagan asked in surprise.

“Since about five minutes ago,” came the acerbic reply. “Are we getting back to the ground any time soon?”

“Not until those cute little puppies get tired and go home,” Teagan said, trying to keep her tone light.

Stormwind landed and stalked up to Teagan.

“Are you trying to get me a medical discharge by way of a heart attack?” he asked with deceptive calm. “I like being a guard, Lady Teagan. Well, I did. Before I met a certain flame-maned shaved monkey, with all the survival instincts of a falling egg!”

The trolls growled, making Teagan hold up her hand.

“Can’t say I blame him, guys,” she said mildly. “Between our adventures in the Everfree and tonight’s fiasco he’s got a point. Murphy is having way too much fun at my expense and I’m not going to begrudge this poor pony his rant. He’s earned it.”

The troll brothers relaxed.

“The question is what do we do about those wolves, Wing Commander?” Teagan asked, peering over the edge of the roof. “We can’t just let them wander loose or ponies are going to die. Somebody let them loose in this city, and I bet you they weren’t planning to round them up after they finished us off, either.”

“No bet,” Stormwind said sourly. “We need to alert Princess Luna. Charming Blade! You’re the fastest in the wing. Head to the Castle and alert the Night Captain, tell him we need unicorns with containment spells to defeat a lethal threat to the city.”

“Sir!” A guard saluted and vaulted into the sky, disappearing in the direction of the castle.

“Skrent, you ever fought these things?” Teagan asked her bodyguard.

“Not fought them, Dronning. But I know their vaner, how you say, what they do,” he answered steadily. “They think we trapped now, they wait us out. Very patient, skygge ulver, they let us starve till we come down.”

“Charming,” Stormwind growled, peering down at the shadows gathered around the front of the building. “So now all we have to do is hope no more idiots show up until the unicorn guards get here to deal with our fuzzy friends down there.”

“Are you not guards, Wing Commander?” Silkwind scoffed. “You outnumber them almost two to one! Why not dispose of them now before more innocent lives are put at risk?”

Stormwind frowned, but held his tongue, obviously trying to remain diplomatic. He finally came up with a response.

“We never take life needlessly, madam. Even these creatures, as dangerous as they are, deserve a chance to live,” he said finally. “I doubt they chose to come here. They’re victims too.”

“Lady Teagan killed one readily enough,” Silkwind said reasonably. “She clearly doesn’t share your point of view.”

“Actually, I do.” Teagan demurred. “The ones I killed were in self-defense. The first one was trying to kill that stallion noble, the second one was about to jump me. I was able to retreat without killing the rest, and I really would rather not kill them unless I have to.”

“An odd point of view for a meat eater,” Silkwind noted mildly.

“You’ll find humans are full of surprises,” Teagan said calmly. “Stormwind, any idea how long until the unicorns get here?”

“I wouldn’t expect them for another half-hour at least,” the wing commander replied. “It will take Charming Blade at least ten minutes to get to the Night Captain and explain the situation. Then the Guard has to be mobilized and actually get here.”

“That’s longer than I’d like, given an innocent pony could show up any minute,” Teagan fretted. “I’m surprised the night watch didn’t come to investigate all the noise.”

“What makes you think they didn’t?” Stormwind retorted. “They saw a full wing of the Sun Shield here and left, why would they intervene?”

“Um, they wouldn’t even stop to ask questions?” Teagan asked in surprise. “Why not?”

“We don’t interfere with each other,” Stormwind said carefully. “If the Lunar Guard saw a single watchpony attacked then naturally they would intervene, just as we would. But there are twenty Solar Guard ponies here, Lady Teagan. That implies this is a Sun Shield operation. Unless ordered by Princess Luna the Lunar Guard would steer clear.”

“Well isn’t that just ducky,” Teagan sighed. “Who thought up this little gem, Stormwind?”

“When Princess Luna was banished the Lunar Guard was disbanded.” Stormwind explained. “It was thought those loyal to the Night Princess might cause trouble in the ranks of the Solar Guard. Now that the Lunar Guard has been rebuilt both Day and Night Captains decided to operate independently, with Princess Celestia’s approval.”

“Politics,” Teagan sighed again. “Murphy strikes again.”

“Who is Murphy, Lady Teagan?” Silkwind asked in interest.

“A mythical character from my world, Lady Silkwind. He’s named after Murphy’s Law: if something can go wrong, it will. Thus if something goes wrong, it’s always Murphy’s fault,” Teagan said grinning wryly.

“So this Murphy is the spirit of mischance?” Lady Silkwind asked, trying to understand.

“Pretty much,” Teagan agreed. “We know it’s just bad luck, of course, but saying Murphy’s out to get someone makes it seem like there’s someone out there we might actually be able to find and pummel to make it stop. It makes us feel a little better about having a string of bad luck.”

“Ah, I see,” Lady Silkwind said, brightening. “It’s a way to vent your anger at the world.”

“Exactly,” Teagan said.

A bright flash from the ground interrupted their conversation.

Cease and desist thy predations at once!” A deafening shout split the night. “Thou shalt terrify our ponies no more!

“Princess Luna? What the hell is she doing here?” Teagan yelped as she peered over the edge. Sure enough, a lot of black wolf bodies were now piled haphazardly at the bottom of an enormous glowing purple sphere. Each time one tried to regain its feet it would be knocked down by one of its pack mates attempting the same. If they weren’t so dangerous it would have been funny.

“Lady Teagan, it is safe to descend!” Luna called, no longer using the earsplitting Royal Canterlot Voice.

“You heard Her Highness,” Stormwind shouted. “Descend and sweep for any wolves that evaded the Princess. Blazing Sky, carry Lady Emma to the ground once we’ve given the all clear. As for Her Majesty, I’m sure she’ll be able to find her own way down.”

“Love you too, Stormwind,” Teagan told the irate pegasus sweetly. “Skrent, how are the two of you going to get down?”

“We climb, Dronning. Not problem.” Skrent assured her with that big troll grin that didn’t bare the teeth.

It only took the guards a couple of minutes to sound the all clear. Teagan jumped, using Crush to absorb the impact of falling twenty-five feet. Emma slipped off the guard’s back when he landed with murmured thanks and promptly sank to the ground, trying to hug it.

“Oh, I will never leave you again!” She declared melodramatically.

Teagan ignored her friend’s antics to approach the alicorn who was juggling the giant wolf prison-sphere to relieve her boredom.

“Not that I’m not thrilled to see you, cousin, but attacking a pack of shadow wolves by yourself could be considered a little—imprudent, don’t you think? What will the Council say?” Teagan asked, grinning.

Luna grinned back at her and stuck out her tongue.

“We care not what those addle-pated grey-manes choose to babble, cousin. It is unseemly for a princess to cower in her castle when her subjects are under threat! Besides,” she winked, “we cannot have thee hogging all the fun. What manner of strange beasts be these?”

“The trolls call them skygge ulver, their bite causes a fatal disease that kills in a few hours. From what Crush tells me the Alene probably know a cure.”

“Indeed? And what are such fell monsters doing in the middle of our fair city?” Luna glared at the captive wolves. “We cannot believe they simply wandered here of their own accord.”

“I’m betting Duisternis,” Teagan said grimly. “This was probably a terrorist attack to assassinate me and then cause chaos afterward. You know, to make the inevitable troll response even harder to deal with.”

“We fear thee may have the right of it,” Luna concurred, her humor fading away. “It is not the first attempt to turn ponies and trolls against one another. Our sister must be informed of this at once.”

“I am going to have to make a speech once I reach Hejm,” Teagan said with a sigh. “This whole ‘start a war by killing the queen while she’s under pony protection’ routine is getting old. I’m going to put a stop to it.”

“We wish thee fortune in thy attempt,” Luna said with exquisitely delicate sarcasm. “Still, prudence would dictate thee hasten thy trot toward Hejm as best thee may.”

“I hear that. Having several miles of stone between me and the bad guys is starting to sound like a great idea,” Teagan said. “But back to the present problem, what are you planning to do with them?” She nodded at the giant sphere full of squirming black wolves. Luna frowned.

“We know not,” she admitted. “It is not right to slay the beasts for it was not they who chose to come here. Yet we cannot release them lest they prey upon our subjects. We shall consult with our dear sister to see what may be done. In the meanwhile we shall cast them into the dungeons.”

“Yeah, give Glitter some company,” Teagan said with an innocent smile. Luna stared at her, startled, before a laugh forced its way out of the blue alicorn.

“Thy joke was quite evil, cousin,” Luna said with a twinkle in her eye.

“Who’s joking?” The girl replied with straight face, before bursting into laughter.

Their little comedy skit was interrupted by the arrival of a number of armored gray unicorns who collectively relieved the princess of her nine-wolf burden. Three of the pack had died in the attack, one from Crush’s impromptu railgun, one directly struck by Crush, and the last killed by the impact of the wolf Teagan had hit with her club.

“Quit making out with the street, Emma, it’s time to go.” Teagan snickered as her friend jumped up, scandalized.

“Hey, just because you can fly doesn’t mean I can!” Emma retorted as the party moved toward the castle. “That was scary, Teelo!”

The argument faded into the distance, leaving the street empty, except for the chill breeze that sprang up and formed into a ghostly skeletal horse which leaped into the sky.

Master will be most pleased his ruse worked, the windigo thought as it retreated. Soon the trolls will no longer be an obstacle.

With a fearsome whinny of satisfaction the undead spirit sped back to deliver the welcome news.