• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 3,558 Views, 103 Comments

Twilight Gets her Own Student - Mr Anomalous



Princess Twilight Sparkle gets a personal student of her own!

  • ...
3
 103
 3,558

The News

The News


[/hr]

It was late at night, and Twilight was just gearing down for bed when Spike came jogging upstairs carrying a scroll.

"Letter from the Princess Twi'!" He called.

Twilight, though always excited to get a letter from the Princess, couldn't help but get a bit annoyed. This letter was coming just before bed, and it had been a long day, longer than usual, and Twilight was, as Applejack would say, "plumb tuckered out."

She turned around away from her bed and sat on her haunches. She then let loose a small sigh of frustration and replied, "What is it?"

The small dragon unrolled the paper, cleared his throat, and began to read out loud:

"My Dearest Twilight,

I am certain that you are feeling a bit in...over-your-head towards many of your new-found responsibilities as Princess."

Ya think?

Twilight winced at her harsh thoughts towards the Princess; she was really feeling quite irritable today...

"And I apologize for that, but I am sure that your load will become more bearable with time, as did mine. For now, I have a bit of news for you."

Twilight's purple, fuzzy ears perked at those words. News? Was it good or bad?

"Twilight, for a very long time, you were my personal student. You still are, though, as I said on the night of your transformation, not in the same way as before. You are a very smart mare, and I believe in you to the fullest extent."

Twilight puffed up her chest a bit at that.

"This means that I, Princess Celestia, do inform you that you have earned the privilege to choose your own Personal Student, as I did you so many years ago."

Twilight froze. Did she hear that correctly?

"I will require you to come to Canterlot the following morning for more information. I would rather talk to you face-to-face about this subject if you wish to learn about it further. From: Your Princess Celestia."

Okay, so she had heard that correctly.

Spike rolled up the letter and said, "Wow, that sounds pretty cool Twi', who're you gonna choose?"

"I...I don't know Spike. This is all a bit of out of the blue...I don't even know anypony whom I could teach..."

Spike just yawned, shrugged, and asked, "You going to write a response, or can I go to bed?"

"You...can go to bed. I should too; it's been a long day. I think I'll write a response in the morning."

Spike went over and set the recently-read scroll on Twilight's desk. "Night Twilight," he said, and waddled up the stairs to his basket, where he promptly slid under the covers, nuzzled his head into the pillow, and began to snore.

Twilight sat for a moment, thinking, then slowly followed Spike up the stairs.


The desire for sleep was gone. All that Twilight could do was lay under her covers, listen to Spike snore, and ponder Celestia's most recent letter.

Me? A teacher? Like Celestia?

Twilight had never really thought about it. She knew that she was quite a knowledgeable mare, as did all of her friends and family, but she had never entertained the thought of becoming a teacher.

Could she do it? Would she be a good teacher? Would she be too strict, too harsh? Or perhaps the opposite? To let-loose? She would certainly not be too lazy, that much was obvious, but still...

Eventually, though, she fell asleep with these thoughts and similar ones buzzing around inside of her mind. It was quite late when she finally drifted off, ready to shut out the world.


[/hr]

Despite her falling asleep so late that night, Twilight awoke early, earlier than her alarm clock would have awoken her, an entire half hour. That means that it exactly was five-thirty in the morning. That's early, even for Twilight. Her stomach was overflowing with anxiety. She was both quite excited and intimidated. She wasn't really the most social of ponies, not anywhere as shy as on Fluttershy's level, of course, but also nowhere as high as Rarity's.

Twilight decided that she could probably handle it, and hoped that the Princess might give her some time to do some research on being a teacher. She did have a few books on the subject, but she hadn't gotten around to reading them yet.

She had planned to read them eventually, as she did all of the books in her library, but her new duties and responsibilities as Princess had forced her to rearrange her entire schedule. That had taken quite a while, for she had had to push back everything, and she means everything.

Parties, books, assignments, along with everything else needed to be found room for. Twilight was actually still working on the massive rescheduling. It had died down a bit, but she still needed to work on it every now and then.

Twilight decided to wait a bit longer before waking Spike up - he would be useless if he was asleep the entire trip - and decided to eat breakfast early. She decided that maybe she should make Spike breakfast as well. His being her assistant naturally meant that he did most of the cooking and cleaning, but today Twilight was feeling generous. Besides, maybe cooking would help set the bad side of her nerves at ease.

She was surprisingly calm, much more so then she would have been had this happened a couple of weeks earlier. Since then, Princess Cadence had taught Twilight how to calm herself during moments of distress, and she had matured slightly, so she could handle things that would have sparked paranoia inside of her during and earlier time.

It's natural to worry every now and then, and Twilight did, but she managed to keep everything under control, and keep a mainly positive mindset about the whole situation.

How hard could it be? She did know quite a bit about a lot of thing, a little bit of everything, some ponies would say, and she was a quick thinker. She could probably handle anything that might come up. Yes, she could do it.

See? It worked.

Twilight smiled at her ability to suppress her nervousness. She was getting pretty good at that.

She traveled down the stairs and into the kitchen where she started the stove. She ignited her horn's aura and a similar color enveloped several of the surrounding cupboard doors. They all opened and several different items necessary for fixing the morning meal drifted outside.

A couple pots and pans, some flour, milk, and other things. She had decided to make waffles. Waffles sounded pretty good today. Of course, waffles always sound good.

As she expected, soon Spike cam bumbling down the stairs, through the library, and into the kitchen. He had, Twilight correctly assumed, been awoken by the sounds of her activity.

"Oh no! I overslept! I'm so sorry Twilight! Here, let me..."

Twilight laughed and lifted the pan away from Spike's grip.

"Don't worry Spike, I'm going to make breakfast today."

Spike got down from his tippy-toes and raised his eyebrow.

"Really?"

Twilight giggled and bit and answered, "Yep."

"Oh...well okay then."

Spike walked over to the table, murmuring about how he never really thought this would happen. Eventually, though, Spike accepted it and waited patiently for his meal. He didn't have to wait long. Twilight used quite a bit of her magic in the process and, soon, there was a pile of hot waffles, doused in syrup and butter. Spike immediately licked his lips and began to rather messily devour the stack.

Twilight only had two on her plate. Her appetite was no where near her assistant's, and it still amazed her every time she watched him eat. He was such a small creature, much more so than she, but he always somehow managed to eat quite a bit.

"You know, have you ever considered slowing down and savoring the taste instead of just wolfing it down?"

Between chomps and bites Spike answered something along the lines of, "No way. Too good."

Twilight just rolled her eyes and continued chewing her breakfast. It was quite delicious, and she congratulated herself for creating such a satisfactory meal to begin her day with. As she continued eating, however, she couldn't stop her thoughts from wandering back to her future concerning her student.

Twilight watched the early morning activity of the townsponies out the window. Then her eyes drifted to the horizon, where they rested, watching the sun rise. She lapsed into a day dream.

This would be interesting. Rather interesting indeed.

Author's Note:

My mouth was watering when I wrote about Spike's waffles....at two in the freaking morning. I need to make waffles.