• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 3,576 Views, 55 Comments

Discorded Humanity - The Drifting Bard



Dave is a human, but a very unlikely one.

  • ...
32
 55
 3,576

chapter 7

these are the voyages of the starship: loveboat


The Statue was under heavy watch from the castle guard. The fissures on the stone prison let out small streams of dark enrgy. With every passing hour, Discord’s transformation was nearing its mometic end.
The chill I felt on the library balcony could mean one thing… a storm was coming.


Spike had woken up with a mighty burp, shooting out a letter.

i pulled the bed covers off me, stepping out from the ageless vastness of sleep.
I looked back to see Twiligh snoozing away, she looked so peaceful there. I crept across the room, towards the door. Getting to the door, I placed my hand on the handrail, slowly walking down the stairs. However, these things don’t always go as planned, my foot slipped, and I crashed to the floor, sliding down the steps on my arse. Spike watched this happen, I looked at the little dragon, who was desparately trying to hold back fits of laughter. “now really, Dave,” I heard Twilight stifle a laugh of her own, “that looked painful” she buirst into fits of giggles.
“only my pride,” I joined the merryment. “so, spike, whats the letter say?”
“dear Twilight and Dave….” The dragon went quiet.
“not good?” I asked the dragon, who shook his head.
“just read it out loud Spike” I looked in his eyes, I could see his fear.

Dear Twilight and Dave

As happy as I am to hear you’ve finally settled in, I’m afraid we have some incredibaly bad news.

Gather the other elements and meet at the library in 20 minutes, Luna and myself shall be waiting.

Princess Celestia & Princess Luna

“that does not sound good” Twilight looked at me, and then turned to Spike.
“Spike, go get the others” Spike nodded and headed off.
“Dave, go get yourself washed, no time for breakfast” I nodded in agreement.
Quickly making my way into the bathroom, I stepped in the shower, washing myself of the sweat. Stepping out, I felt like a new man, unlike most days, I wouldn’t laze around. Putting on some new clothes, which would probably end up in tatters anyway, I walked back down stairs. The ever present sense of danger had shown itself once again. I noticed Pinkie was still twitching, complaining about a real doozy.
“hey everyone,” I spoke, leaning over the handrail. “you’re probably wondering why you’re here, simple”
I took a deep breath. “seeing as Flutershy and Rainbow Dash are the only ones who don’t know” Twilight sat beside me,
“we’re…well….” I went red in the face
“we’re in love” Twilight saved me from embarassing myself. I watched as Fluttershy smiled with delight, and rainbow dash flew over and patted me on the back.

“and now for the other reason,” I sighed. “Discord is returning”
I heard a chariot pull up outside. I turned to face the alicorn sisters.
“indeed, we must make haste,” Celestia spoke, looking directly at me.
“no Princess, if anything, Discord has been targeting me,” I looked at her dead in the eye “I’m the one who inadvertedly made his escape possible by being here, so I should be the one to fix it” I stood there defiantly.


The princess gazed at me for a while, not knowing whether to argue or to agree.
Luna being ever insightful thought of something “if you are truly intent on fixing this proble, how are you going to fix it?” the mare of the night asked.
“truth betold your highness, I havent thought that far ahead yet, i believe that sometimes the best plan is one which doesn’t exist” I concluded. Feeling proud with that answer, I smiled as Twilight nuzzled her former tutor “see, now that’s something I could never replace, Princess Celestia” I said with a smile, she looked at me with slight confusion. “you’re like a second mother to her in a sense, its not surprising that you have so much faith in her” I was interrupted.
“if your trying to appeal to my better judgement, just stop” Celestia spoke harshly.

“Everyone, I wish to speak to Celestia alone please” I couldn’t hold back that question anymore. I had to know, I picked out the same book I found at the start of what seemed like a grand adventure. I searched the pages and found what I was looking for. Everyone had left to talk outside; I looked in the white alicorn’s eyes.
“You owe me an explanation,” I spoke with a whisper, I placed the book in front of her, “explain to me what exactly happened that day” I indicated to the human in the book. She let out a deep sigh.
“Listen to me Dave; you were better off not knowing”
she took a deep breath, and told me the tale.

It was in the beginning of the modern era of equestria, our mother and father were the deities of the moon and sun… the human in question was a young man named Lysander, his original purpose was to help the people of Equestria protect themselves against the unknown evils that lurked in the shadows.
Lysander was a tall man who was chosen by the elements of harmony as a protector, much like you are Dave, but it came with a price.
He went mad with power and corrupted the gifts that the elements had imbued upon him.
Our parents decided it best to seal him in stone, before he began an irriversable transformation. Lysander died that day.

Discord was born.

I stood back for a moment, taking it all in. the information, and the bitter sting of the Princess’s tears. “I had no idea, is that why you’re so cautious of me?” I asked, the Princess nodded, I handed her a tissue. “Dry your eyes,” I said with a genuine smile “at least I know now that im not the original source of your pain” she looked at me for a moment. “Dave, I…thank you” were all she could muster. “I think we had better get going” she said to me, “gather the others once again, we leave immidiatly” I coherantly nodded. I walked down, and opened the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water.
“right, lets get going” I walked out the door, nodding to Twilight, who followed suit, the rest caught on. We arrived at the golden chariot, hopping onto it, I decided it best to fly there. After all, when you’ve been imbued with the gifts of harmony, why not use them.
Flying through the air, I took a good look at the world around me. I could see different areas of the landscape, ponies ploughing, ponies playing and ponies lazing about like nothings happening. Soon their peace will come tumbling down.
Their world would be set ablaze, by a simple demonic spirit being released into the world. There would be one thing standing in his way.

I flew for a while before mastching the speed of the chariot, landing next to Twilight, I plonked myself down. Waiting for the chariot’s turbulence to ease itself out, I gave a big smile. “hey love, did ya miss me?” I said with a goofy grin on my face, my windswept hair billowing out. I leaned in for a kiss, but ended up on my face as the chariot shifted to the side. I pulled myself up, looking around, I saw the Castle of Canterlot in getting nearer. It was truly a sight to behold, my mind was racing for a moment. “wow” was the only word I could muster, Twilight looked up at me to laugh, but then noticed I was still gazing in wonder. “you’ve never seen a castle up close before?” I nodded at her question.
“ya know, there arent many castles left on earth, they’ve either fallen to ruins or have just been eroded away, faded in time” a poingant thought was shared.
“so who rules earth now?” Celestia asked. I shrugged my shoulders, attempting to think of a good answer. “truth is, there hasn’t been a ruler of earth for a few centuries, now the countries have governments, each with a blithering idiot for a leader” coming to that conclusion was easy really. “the peoples of Equestria are quite lucky”
I summed up my thoughts.

As we landed in the courtyard, I could only watch as other members of the guard took a defensive position. “At ease,” Celestia ordered them to stand down, which the reluctantly did, Luna explained to them the situation.
I took a look around the courtyard, and sure enough there he was, encased in a stone prison. The cracks were slowly getting bigger, the black steam rising around it.
“Princess, is it all right if I have a look around the castle?” being ever inquisitive, the question fell on deaf ears. “Leuitenant, whats the situation?” Celestia asked.
“the Statue of Discord has been giving off dark energy, some of the gaurds wish to surround the statue with enough magic to surpress it, but I highly doubt it will work”
“no it won’t” I stood closer to the statue, taking a good look at the dark energy.
“Nightmare,” I muttered to myself.
The two alicorn sisters were suddenly beside me, a worried expression on both their faces “nightmare? But how?”
“simple, he was in my head for a few days, must have rooted around, found something he shouldn’t have” I said, with a stoic expression on my face.
Suddenly a growl was heard, and I watched as the gaurds took up another defensive position. “hey, it was just me, didn’t eat anything”.
As we walked through the halls of the Castle, I began to notice the different paintings, the intracate details on the walls. I sighed glumly as we walked into a grand dining hall.
“yay, food” I said nonchalantly, attempting to smile. As I sat down at the table, or rather, knelt in a samurai style position, I simply asked for some green tea. “thank you,” i said with a fading smile, the others could see I was worried about something.
I watched as the two Princesses conversed, trying to come up with a solution to the Discord problem. It was to be expected that upon his arrival, chaos would soon rise again. “Dave,” Luna called to me as I took a sip of fresh green tea. “seeing as Celestia has already told you what became of the first human, we must ask you, why?”
“why what?”
“why do you want to do this for us?” she stated her true question. I relaxed a little bit.
“because, my kind has made it a point to stand up and fight, even if we die” I smiled, taking another sip. A bowl of porridge was placed in front of me, the sweetened smell invading my nostrils, picking up a spoonful, I took a mouthful. “not bad, still not as good as Redheart’s though” I said with a smile.
“the reason I ask is, well…” Luna tried to carry on her series of questions, but I raised my hand to stop her. “No need to worry, If I die, Twilight would never forgive me” I glared into the bowl of porridge, taking another mouthful. “it’s amazing how things can change so quickly, but stranger things have happened” I nodded.

as everyone sat down, I got up to look out the window, forever keeping a watch on Discord. The cracks were getting bigger, the fissures were getting wider. I had the feeling of dread creeping up on me. I felt a hoof on my shoulder. “it’ll be fine, I’m sure we’ll be able to stop him in time” I turned to see twilight, the light from the sun, bouncing off her streaked mane, silently dancing in her eyes. “I hope so,” I pulled her closer, “I really do” as i kissed her, I heard a multitude of cooing, it seemed that they could feel the love emenating in the room. It was slightly embarrassing, but worth it.

Breaking the embrace, I felt the ground rumble, turning my gaze outside towards the statue. The Transformation was almost complete. “everyone, outside” I shouted.
We ran towards the courtyard. The final cracks had spread quickly, the shell had been broken.
“ahhhh, perfect” I heard a distorted voice creep from the statue.

It was time.