• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 18,830 Views, 1,281 Comments

Canine Complications - Wages of Sin



Twilight wakes up after a failed experiment and quickly finds out just how bad it failed. Can she make it as a predator in peaceful Ponyville?

  • ...
56
 1,281
 18,830

Expectations

Twilight fled deeper and deeper in the direction that instinct said led to her pack. She knew that if she could not catch up to her wolves soon, they might double-back to find her, wasting precious time and putting them in danger. Instinct did not fail her though, as after only an hour of tracking she came across something that caught her eye.

In the middle of the path there lay a pile of sticks. To the average traveler or woodland creature, it would have appeared to be just a regular pile of fallen branches, but Twilight's sharp eyes and keen nose were not the common ilk of the forest.

That's why she welcomed the sight of the branches beginning to draw themselves together.

"Splintertooth, did everywolf make it?"

He gave a firm nod and pointed off into the trees as they waited for his mouth to reform, once it had, he spoke, "They have taken refuge with the ponies in a cave to the east."

"Very good," Twilight said, turning and beginning towards the cave, "What of the condition of the pack and ponies?"

"The pack is ready to move at your word, but the blue one makes noises of hunger and the striped one is unresponsive." Splintertooth said falling in beside his mistress, mindful to keep a safe distance from her still burning flames.

"Unresponsive? How so?"

"She has folded herself and does not react to us. We initially feared her to have become ill, but when we tried to move her she smacked us with her stick."

"She's meditating. I'll see to her when we arrive." she turned from the wolf to find them to already be at the mouth of the cave. With a nod, she entered, leaving Splintertooth as a lookout.

"Mistress!" Screw Loose yipped as she bounded for her, "Did you beat the scary flying light monster?"

The other wolves who noticed her arrival looked on in eager anticipation.

Twilight shook her head, "No, and she will likely make moves to pursue us soon if she has not already. Time is critical, we have to make it to Canterlot tonight before Celestia can catch up and before she figures out our destination. With any luck we can still make it before dawn."

"Yes mistress!"


"Did we do the right thing?"

Applejack's question hung in the air between the five mares that sat around Fluttershy's table. Each of the mare's untouched cups of tea sent wisps of steam through their distant stares.

The farm mare looked to each of the table's occupants. To her left she could see Rarity staring blankly into her tea. Beside her, Pinkie's deflated mane nearly touched the floor as her head hung downcast. Next to her, Fluttershy's curtain of mane obstructing her face although Applejack could clearly hear faint sniffles every once and a while. Before she could shift to Rainbow, said mare slammed her hooves down on the table.

"I knew I shouldn't have let you convince me that writing Celestia was a good idea! This didn't sit well with me to begin with, and now the royal guard is out there hunting for her like some kind of monster! And do you know the best part? If some ponies wouldn't have broken their promise to not tell and sold out their best friend, we wouldn't even be talking about this!""

"Now wait just an apple buckin' minute! Don't try to pin this on me! You were just as much a part of this as we were! And if I remember, you were the one who drove Twilight off in the first place! Calling her a monster and all that! If it weren't for you, we wouldn't even have had to go looking for her in the first place!"

The mare's glared at each other with palpable animosity.

Shoving herself away from the table, Rainbow turned away and broke the silence.

"You know what? You're right!" she said with a vicious laugh "There I said it! It's all my fault! If it weren't for me Twilight wouldn't be out there at all!" she turned revealing tears running down her face, "But you know what? I think she's better off! She may be surrounded by vicious unfeeling monsters, but at least in a pack they're loyal to one another!" the words had hardly reached the other mare's ears before Rainbow had passed the threshold of the home and disappeared into the night.

Applejack attempted to call out in argument, but found the call die in her throat.

She couldn’t argue. Giving it thought, Rainbow’s words rang true. For the good or the bad of it, she now realized that she had been disloyal. Fluttershy had explained how Twilight had made her promise not to let Celestia find out about her condition. Rightfully that vow would have carried over to her as well when Fluttershy had told her. Fluttershy’s confidence, and by extension Twilight’s, had been betrayed when she had brought Celestia into this… and possibly worst of all, she had yet again failed to take Twilight’s fears seriously. It sounded crazy when Fluttershy had told her at the time, but Twilight’s fear of being hunted down if Celestia was told was now word for word accurate.

She had betrayed Twilight and Fluttershy’s trust, re-committed the same act that had let Twilight go crazy with worry and let her trust a changeling over her own friend, and now possibly doomed her friend to an animal’s death, all because she had been so gung-ho about letting Celestia solve her problems for her rather than putting forth the effort to help Twilight herself.

The realization tore at her heart.

She was out the door that Rainbow had blown open before it had even reached its apex.

In the wake of their friend’s outbursts and departures, the remaining mares quietly dismissed themselves, not even making eye contact as they shared strained farewells and headed home to re-evaluate their own roles in the mess that they had helped create.