• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 3,042 Views, 238 Comments

The Do Dilemma - Metool Bard



What happens when you take a literary character and make her real? Hijinks, that's what.

  • ...
2
 238
 3,042

Villainy 101

Chapter 13:
Villainy 101

When the three mares opened their eyes, everything was pitch black. None of them could even see their hooves in front of their faces.

"Whew. I haven't seen darkness like this since the main chamber with the Medusa's Eye," said Daring Do. "Hey, Twilight. Think you can shed some light on our situation?"

"Sure thing," said Twilight, magic radiating from her horn. The faint glow suddenly was reflected off of what appeared to be several mirrors. She gasped in horror.

"What's wrong, Twilight?" inquired Rainbow Dash.

"I'm getting a bad feeling of déjà vu here," said Twilight. "B-but that can't be. We were nowhere near Canterlot."

"Huh?" said Rainbow, raising an eyebrow. "What're you talking about?"

"Remember at my brother's wedding, when the changeling queen disguised herself as Princess Cadence?"

"Um, yeah."

"Well, she sent the real Cadence to the Canterlot Caves, an underground crystal mine that fell into disuse," Twilight explained. "She sent me there as well when I tried to expose her, and it looked just like..." She swallowed. "This."

"Indeed, you are correct," said a sinister voice that seemed to echo throughout the chamber. "Although, I have refurnished it for your visit."

The reflection in the mirrors suddenly changed shape, revealing a bizarre apelike creature with a paw at the end of its tail. Rainbow and Twilight were left speechless, while Daring just sneered.

"Oh, hey Ahui. What's up?" she said nonchalantly.

"I keep telling you, it's Ahuizotl," the ape growled.

"And I keep telling you that I like to tick you off," Daring retorted.

Ahuizotl snorted. "Mock me while you can, Ms. Do. But you of all ponies should know that the horseshoe is now on the other hoof."

"Wait. You don't have hooves," said Rainbow, raising an eyebrow.

"I-it's just an expression!" Ahuizotl barked, sounding very defensive.

"No, Rainbow Dash is right," said Daring, equally skeptical. "Ahui has plenty of cheesy one-liners, but that isn't one of them."

"It isn't?" asked the ape before realizing his mistake. "Er, I mean, it doesn't matter! Very soon, Ms. Do, you won't even be a memory!"

"Okay, I've never heard that one before, so I'll give you a point for creativity," said Daring, still unfazed. "However, it kinda begs the question as to how you would know about my adventures being erased."

"Oh, I think you have more important things to worry about, Ms. Do."

With that, Ahuizotl clapped his paws. The chamber around them lit up on its own accord, revealing a mound of a sticky green substance hanging from the ceiling. The trio of ponies looked at the object quizzically. Ahuizotl, on the other hand, looked shocked.

"What?!" he exclaimed. "Where is the unicorn?!" He then looked down, and noticed Twilight standing there. "You! Why aren't you in the cocoon?!"

Twilight became perplexed. "What do you mean? Aren't you the one that brought us down here?"

As Ahuizotl sputtered for an answer, Daring turned to Twilight. "Hey, do changelings use stuff like that?" she asked, pointing to the empty cocoon.

"Yes, they do," said Twilight with a nod. "In my experience, at least."

"Ah, I see," said Daring. "I thought there was a reason this impostor was a complete idiot, but I couldn't quite put my hoof on it."

"I-impostor?!" hollered 'Ahuizotl'. "I am no impostor! I am Ahuizotl!"

"Yeah, right. And I'm the queen of Prance," said Daring, folding her forelegs. "Even if Ahuizotl did have the brain power to cook up this crazy scheme, he would never go this far to get rid of me."

"Y-you drove me to it, Daring!" roared 'Ahuizotl'. "You've always been a constant thorn in my side! Well, no longer! With you gone, I'll..."

"Be gone, too," Rainbow interrupted. "Daring's right. Ahuizotl has too big of an ego to erase himself from existence just to get rid of his oldest rival."

"Silence!" 'Ahuizotl' boomed. "You little fools have no idea what kind of predicament you're in! Minions!"

From the shadows, two figures appeared. Rainbow Dash was taken aback as she recognized them both. One was a proud-looking griffon with brown fur and an aura that radiated attitude. The other was an greenish-blue pegasus with a sharp orange-yellow mane and a sparkling lightning bolt for a Cutie Mark. Both of them had glowing green eyes.

"Gilda? Lightning Dust?" Rainbow gasped.

"You know these two?" asked Daring.

"Kinda," Rainbow answered. "They used to be my friends. It's a long story."

"And it's further proof that you're an impostor," Twilight added, glowering at the crystals. "I know how changelings can hypnotize others. I've seen it firsthoof."

"W-well, maybe I can use changeling magic now!" said 'Ahuizotl'. "Ever consider that?!"

Daring smacked her face with her hoof. "Okay, now you're just embarrassing yourself. Are you new at this or something?"

"Enough!" 'Ahuizotl' bellowed. "If you wish to escape from here, you have to race my minions through my new and improved Canterlot Caves of Catastrophe."

"Clever," Daring said sardonically. "And if we refuse?"

"Then your unicorn friend will..."

The false ape trailed off as Twilight pointed to the empty cocoon.

"Um, right. Forgot about that," said 'Ahuizotl', grumbling something incoherent. "Well, even so! The clock is ticking, Ms. Do. Tick tock tick tock..."

"So, let me guess. You'll be waiting for us at the end, right?" said Daring.

"And you'll tell us how you got your hooves on Gilda and Lightning Dust," added Rainbow.

"Maybe. Maybe not," said 'Ahuizotl' ambiguously.

"Good enough for me," said Rainbow. "C'mon, Daring! Let's show these two what real flying is all about!"

"Wait, what about me?" asked Twilight.

Daring thought for a moment. "Try to find us a way out, or at the very least where that changeling is hiding," she suggested. "We could use an inside mare."

"You imbecile! That was supposed to be the dramatic reveal if and when you found me! Now you've gone and spoiled it!"

The three ponies gave the impostor an odd look.

"Er, I mean..."

"Save it before you embarrass yourself any further, Ahuizo-fail," said Rainbow mockingly.

Daring burst out laughing. "Oh, man! I gotta remember that one!" she guffawed.

"Grr! That's it!" 'Ahuizotl' barked. "Minions, attack!"

With that, the image on the crystals disappeared, and Gilda and Lightning Dust began to advance.

"So, how good are these two?" Daring asked Rainbow.

"Pretty good," said Rainbow. "Lightning Dust likes to push herself, even to the point where she puts others in danger. Gilda's no slouch, either."

"I see," Daring mused. "You worried?"

"Me? Pfft, no way," said Rainbow with a dismissive wave of her hoof. "You?"

"My only concern is hurting them," said Daring, spreading her wings. "Otherwise, I think we can take 'em if we work together."

"Right," said Rainbow with a nod and a smile. "Mind if I lead?"

"Be my guest," said Daring. "Twilight, are you comfortable playing inside mare for us while we keep that newbie's attention?"

"It won't be a problem," said Twilight with a nod. "Good luck, you two."

"Heh. We won't need it," said Rainbow complacently. "Alright, let's fly!"

With that, the two daredevil pegasi took off and flew past the hypnotized minions. Gilda snarled as she and Lightning Dust gave chase. Just as the four of them disappeared from sight, Twilight used her breathing technique.

"I'm sure they'll be okay," she said to herself before galloping off in the opposite direction.