• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 3,041 Views, 238 Comments

The Do Dilemma - Metool Bard



What happens when you take a literary character and make her real? Hijinks, that's what.

  • ...
2
 238
 3,041

Quality Time with Heroines

Chapter 1:
Quality Time with Heroines

This is an awesome day.

Those were the thoughts in Rainbow Dash's head as she flew on back to her house with her pet tortoise Tank by her side. Indeed, the day had been quite awesome for the cyan pegasus. She had just come back from her journey to the Crystal Empire; the upcoming host of the Equestria Games. Of course, the reason for that was because of the effort her friends put in to making the Games Inspector feel welcome (even though they gave the welcome to the wrong pony). Now, the Crystal Empire was living out her own dreams.

And as if the day couldn't get any better, she had an excellent treat waiting for her at home. Thanks to a tip from her friend Twilight Sparkle, she managed to pre-order the latest book in the Daring Do series; Daring Do and the Treasure of Das Reingold. If all went according to plan, the book would be waiting right in her mailbox. It would be the perfect end to a perfect day.

Soon enough, she saw her cloud house just over the horizon. She looked just below the clouds to see a familiar wall-eyed mare jamming a package into her mailbox. Her magenta eyes sparkled.

"Omigosh omigosh omigosh omigosh omigosh!" she squealed. In the blink of an eye, she dived down towards the mailbox, sending her tortoise spinning out of control for a moment. She landed right in front of the mailmare, a large grin plastered on her face.

"Uwah!" the mare yelped, falling to the ground in surprise. "Oh, it's you Rainbow Dash. Um, I have a package for you..."

Without a word, Rainbow swiped the package from the mailmare's hooves and tore it open. Inside the box was what she had been hoping for: The latest entry in the Daring Do series. She held it aloft, as if it were the Sapphire Stone itself.

"Whoa. This is just so cool!" she said. "Can this day get any better?!" She then rushed forward and gave the mailmare a big squeeze. "Thanks a ton, Derpy! You wouldn't believe how long I've been waiting for this!"

"U-um, yeah. No problem," grunted Derpy Hooves, struggling against Rainbow's death grip. "Now, if you'd just sign here..."

"Oh, right," said Rainbow, releasing the grey pegasus and blushing slightly. "Sorry, Derpy. I'm just so excited to read this book!"

She then took the clipboard from Derpy and filled out the necessary paperwork. As she did so, Tank had finally regained control and hovered down towards the two pegasi. Rainbow looked over at the flying tortoise and smiled.

"Hey, Tank! Check it out!" she said, showing off her new book. "Pretty neat, huh?"

Tank's eyelids slowly closed and opened again. Gradually, a small smirk appeared on his face.

"I know, right? I can't wait to read it!" said Rainbow gleefully. "Thanks again, Derpy!"

"Just doing my job, Rainbow Dash," said Derpy with a salute. With that, she flew off.

"C'mon, Tank!" said Rainbow. Wasting no time, she zoomed into her house, plopped down into her bed, and cracked open her book.

***

As Daring Do descended upon the large grey cloud below, she knew she was in the right place. The ancient architecture, the stone that probably dated back to centuries of civilization, the nippy air that suggested the place was devoid of all life. There was no doubt in her mind. This was indeed the lost city of Argoats.

"And ponies say this place is just a myth," Daring said with a sneer. "Heh, shows how wrong they are. Isn't that right, Tailspin?"

The small yellow mare flying by Daring's side gave her professor an enthusiastic nod. Although her Cutie Mark was that of a silver aviator's medal, her flight pattern was erratic and random. Daring chuckled.

"Alright, kid. Cool your jets," said she. "Trust me, we haven't even gotten to the cool part yet."

"Sorry, Dare," said the mare, adjusting the goggles she wore over her lavender eyes. "I just can't help myself! I'm so excited to finally go on an adventure with the great Daring Do!"

"Heh, I was actually surprised when you volunteered to join me on this expedition to earn some extra credit," said Daring as she landed on the edge of the great cloud that held the ancient city. "I gotta say, not a lot of ponies at the Royal University show your initiative."

Tailspin was about to reply when she flew right past Daring and smashed right into a decrepit stone building. Daring winced.

"Yikes. You alright, Tailspin?" she inquired, trotting over to her student.

Tailspin emerged from the rubble, taking off her flight helmet and shaking herself. "Eh, I've had worse," she said, smoothing out her sleek, bleach blond mane. She got to her feet and looked around, the red scarf she wore around her neck flapping in the wind. "Whoa."

"Yeah, pretty awe-inspiring, huh?" said Daring. "But like I said, we're not even at the cool part yet."

She then took off her hat and rustled around in it. "Hmm, now where did I put that? Ah-ha, here it is!"

From the small pith helmet, she pulled out a stone tablet.

"Neato," said an awestruck Tailspin, her eyes widening with wonder. "Where'd you get that, Dare?"

"Oh, this?" said Daring nonchalantly. "Meh, it's nothing special. Just a little something I procured from Shetlandis."

Tailspin gasped. "Shetlandis?! As in the legendary city of the sea ponies Shetlandis?!"

"The very same," said Daring with a nod. "Not exactly a place I'd want to go back to, though. Salt water and wings simply do not mix." She then looked over the tablet. "Now then, according to this, the pirate Das Reingold hid the map to her treasure somewhere in these ruins."

"So we have to find a temple of some sort, right?" said Tailspin.

Daring smirked. "You catch on pretty quick, kiddo. I like that," said she. "Alright, let's see here. If I'm reading this correctly, these runes translate out to 'A funnel in a cup.'"

"A what?" said Tailspin, titling her head.

"Yeah, sea ponies aren't known for their riddles," said Daring. "Honestly, I still haven't deciphered this. It just doesn't make any sense."

"Well, maybe it's a landmark of some kind," Tailspin suggested.

"No, that can't be it," Daring mused. "This tablet is all text, no diagrams. And none of these buildings look like..."

She trailed off as she caught a glimpse of a large tower in the distance. She raised an eyebrow.

"Did you find something, Dare?" Tailspin asked.

"Yeah, I think so," said Daring. "C'mon."

Without waiting for acknowledgment she galloped off towards the tower with Tailspin at her heels. As she got closer, the sound of howling winds seemed to emanate from the great spire. The howls got louder and louder as they got closer and closer. Suddenly, Daring stopped in her tracks, and a deadpan look crossed her face.

"Really?" she said. "This is what you ponies meant? For Pete's sake, how is anypony supposed to get that?!"

"What is it, Dare?" Tailspin asked.

"The riddle meant that the temple was a giant wind tunnel," Daring explained, rubbing the bridge of her nose with her hoof. "Seriously, that's the last time I ask a sea pony for directions. Even the most cryptic texts of the Canterlot Archives are easier to understand than that!"

"Well, look on the bright side, Dare," said Tailspin. "At least we made it! C'mon, let's go!"

Before Daring could respond, the younger mare zoomed off ahead. Daring sighed and shook her head.

"Gotta admire her spirit, I suppose," she muttered to herself, trotting after her.

***

"RAINBOW DASH! HEY, RAINBOW DASH!"

A familiar scratchy voice brought Rainbow back to reality. Quickly using one of her feathers as a makeshift bookmark, she rushed over to the window to see who it was. Just as she thought, it was her biggest fan in all of Equestria, Scootaloo.

"Oh, hey Scoot," said Rainbow with a wave. "What's up?"

"Well, I'm done crusading with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle today, so I was wondering if you'd like to go racing with me through Ghastly Gorge!" said Scootaloo.

Rainbow placed a hoof to her chin. "I dunno, Squirt. I'm still pretty beat from my trip to the Crystal Empire."

"Oh. Right. I totally forgot," said Scootaloo, hanging her head in disappointment. She then looked up at her idol with pleading eyes. "But we can still hang out, right?"

Rainbow smirked and flew down to meet Scootaloo. "Of course, Scoot. What kind of big sister would I be if I didn't hang out with you?"

"Thanks, Rainbow Dash," said Scootaloo with a smile. "So, whatcha doing?"

"I just got this awesome new book in the mail, and it's just getting to the good part," said Rainbow. "You wanna read it with me?"

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. "Read? I thought that kind of thing was just for..."

"Eggheads, right?" said Rainbow, finishing Scootaloo's thought. When Scootaloo nodded, Rainbow couldn't help but chuckle. "Trust me, I once thought the same thing. Boy, was I wrong. The truth is that reading is really fun. Especially this new book I got."

Scootaloo mulled it over for a moment. "Well, if you think it's cool, I guess I could give it a shot," she said.

"Atta girl," said Rainbow, picking Scootaloo up in her foreleg and giving her a noogie. "Now, c'mon. I just got to the part where Daring Do and Tailspin reached the temple in Argoats."

She carried Scootaloo up to her house and placed her softly on her bed. As the sun started to set, Scootaloo shuffled under the covers and snuggled up to Rainbow Dash.

"Comfy?" asked Rainbow.

"Mmm-hmm," Scootaloo said with a nod.

Rainbow smiled herself, and picked up where she left off.

***

When Daring and Tailspin entered the tower, they were nearly blown away by a sharp gust of wind. Struggling against the current, Daring Do shielded little Tailspin with her wings as she surveyed her surroundings. Up above her head, she saw several oddly-colored clouds that appeared to glow and shimmer. She sighed.

"If there's one thing I hate more than deathtraps, it's deathtraps set in giant wind tunnels," she groused.

Tailspin gulped. "U-um, Dare? A-are you sure those are...?"

"Trust me, Tailspin! I know a deathtrap when I see one!" said Daring, straining her voice so that she could be heard over the wind. "Don't worry! Just stick with me, and you'll be okay! Got it?!"

Tailspin swallowed again, but gave her teacher a curt nod. "G-got it!" she said, putting on her helmet and lowering her goggles.

"Alrighty then! Let's fly!"

With that, the two pegasi took off into the air, fighting against the wind current every step of the way.

"Alright, wind tunnel. Let's see what you got," said Daring, licking her lips in anticipation.

The first trap was sprung, and Daring nimbly rolled out of the way with Tailspin not far behind.

"Swinging axes..." Daring noted as she triggered another trap. "Criss-crossing spears..." Another trap was triggered. "Crossbow bolts..."

Trap after trap she dodged, and Daring made a mental note of each and every one.

"Wow, how original," she said sardonically. "Couldn't these Argoats pegasi have gotten just a little more creative with their deathtraps?"

As if answering her question, the next trap released a large snake-like creature with glowing yellow eyes. Daring smacked her forehead with her hoof.

"I just had to open my big mouth," she groaned. "Hey, Tailspin! Heads up! There's a basilisk dead ahead!"

The large serpent hissed and lunged for Daring. Frantically, Daring spun out of the way. Her heart began to race as she tried to fly faster, only to find more basilisks ahead.

"Basilisks. Why did it have to be basilisks?!" she complained, swooping and diving around the snakes as they tried to devour her. "Tailspin, you alright back there?!"

"Oof! Could be better!" Tailspin called back, bobbing and weaving around like a madpony.

Daring took a deep breath to calm her nerves and slowed her pace so that Tailspin could keep up. Then, just up ahead, she noticed the tunnel beginning to close.

"Ah, yes. No wind tunnel is complete without serrated shutters," she said. "Tailspin, give those wings a rest and hold on tight!"

Tailspin nodded, and bit onto Daring's long black tail. As soon as she felt her student take hold, she zoomed ahead, keeping her eyes forward so as not to accidently be caught in the basilisks' petrifying gaze. Just as the shutters were about to close completely, she darted through. A loud crash resonated behind her as the basilisks tried to pursue.

"Heh. They didn't have a chance," said Daring, brushing herself off. "You alright, Tailspin?"

"That was awesome!" Tailspin exclaimed, leaping for joy. "This is exactly why you're my favorite professor in the whole university!"

Daring chuckled. "Well, I try," she said, taking out the tablet from her hat. "Now then, if I'm reading this right, our goal should be right about..."

She looked up, and saw a tattered piece of parchment enshrined in a glass case. Below the case were several buttons, each with different runes on them. A triumphant smirk formed on her face.

"Bingo," she said.