• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 620 Views, 26 Comments

Rainbow over Griffany: RotE Episode 7 - Dream Volt



Rainbow Dash and freinds visit Griffany, and Gilda

  • ...
3
 26
 620

King

The griffins had actually thrown Rarity into the throne room. I'm pretty sure she was about to outright yell at them but then she looked up. Gilda said her dad was much bigger than most griffins. Mom described him as a huge hulking red monster in her books. This might be the first time ever she undersold how large and dangerous one of her enemies was. If they hadn't shut the doors behind us and all my friends weren't right here I was pretty sure I would have run. Maybe the royal cape and crown made him look bigger, but he had to be at least ten times Gilda's height, and built like bear. A bear who spent an awful lot of time working out. The silver crown was boring except the green stone unicorn horn looking bit in the center. The white fur cape was huge, covering his wings completely.

He was also glaring right at us. The feathers around his head formed a sort of odd but fitting black mane. His white claws were huge, sharp, and clearly displayed. His mouth was big enough to eat me easily in one bite, and beak razor sharp. Gilda just casually walked forward, and sat down to the left of him. Twilight then took a deep breath and stepped forward. After a pause Applejack and Rairty did the same, but didn't get quite as close as Twilight. Pinkie hopped forward smiling, the action looking even stranger with a griffin doing it. I walked forward and as expected heard Fluttershy's soft steps behind me. She clearly wanted to be as close as possible to whoever she was hiding behind, and as usual that's me. Not so usual I wanted to hide too.

"Hello sir." Began Twilight "As you are aware we are from the equestrian delegation. I was informed there would likely be a considerable wait but I'm pleased…"

"Quiet."

Nopony said anything more. A brief smile crossed his face, and the glare faded a little. Despite being countless times bigger and male the look was familiar. It was Gilda's "at least your know your place" look. I wasn't a fan of it on her face, and liked it even less on his. He briefly ignored Twilight, turning to Gilda.

"So daughter of mine. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Nothing father. I have been with one or more members of the delegation all day, exactly as you requested. Other than the discovery of a pony clock in some amber there has been nothing of note that has happened today."

"Not even breaking my old record?"

"I said of note father." She then smiled slightly. "Or do you disagree?"

He then turned away from Gilda, and back at Twilight. "What does the sun queen wish of me now? Why does she not come herself and send foals such as you."

"I do not know why she sent us, it is not our place to question."

"Well said. What does she want?"

"Fairly standard adjustments. Some of which are in fact in your favor. Most notably greatly relaxing the restrictions on travel for griffins to Equestria."

"Why should I care about that?"

"Commerce if nothing else. You could sell goods."

I took a deep breath "How about we all just stop all this super polite talk and you tell us why you're practically ready to have us tarred and feathered?"

"Because each and every one of you has been working to undermine the well being of Griffany. Starting with your cheating to undermine my accomplishments."

"Now wait just a…" Began AJ, stepping forward glaring at him

"Then there is the duplicitous flower waif trying to seduce my daughter into…"

"I was? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to."

For the first time since we entered he wasn't at least mildly glaring at us. Instead he was rapidly blinking. Clearly he hadn't expected that. He then quickly focused his glare on Rarity.

"And you were embarrassing my soldiers."

"They were embarrassing themselves if anything your majesty. Their form was terrible, and their speed sub par at best."

"Hmmm. So you think it best I dock their pay, very well."

"Now hold on I did not say…" began Rarity

"Then there is so called librarian who…"

"I am the town librarian. I did send a message to Celestia, but that's only restricted to secret correspondence. Gilda was right there."

"Yes, let us move to her next." He then turned to face her. "Nothing you say? You just stood by while all this was going on. I should never have sired you."

Gilda just stood there, not reacting at all.

"Then there is Rainbow Dash. Strangely you have been less a thorn in my side than your mother despite being so much closer, and especially today with various ways to cause problems you did nothing. So you're satisfied with just betraying my waste of a daughter? That's not even interesting."

I sighed, head drooping. "I should have gone after her."

"Then there's the pink abomination."

Pinkie looked around. "Do you mean me?"

"Yes you. I do not understand how you obtained the ability, but one thing is clear. Your every act in that from in an affront to all griffins everywhere. A mockery of all we stand for. A detestable…"

"A mockery? No, this…" Her voice then matched the king's exactly. "Is a mockery. I am so mocking you right now."

"Enough. You think you're funny? Don't you understand that with every word every griffin here just hates you all the more."

"Hates?"

"Each action causing them to not just feel more negatively toward you, but ponies in general. Every single…"

Then Fluttershy was flying right in front of his face. He blinked, stopping his rant. Pinkie looked like she was a snowpony in the sun, halfway melted. I think I preferred the strait hair. Then Fluttershy gave him the stare.

"How dare you."

He laughed. "You think that can effect me? I may not have the ability to determine what exactly you are attempting, but I know the idea. You think you can make me feel guilty? I dare because I do not regret my actions."

Fluttershy was silent.

"It's a clever little trick, but you can't really do anything to me."

"You're just a big meanie. You. You…"

"And you're just as bad. Trying to force your will upon me."

"Oh my, maybe you're right." Then Fluttershy shook her head. "No, I don't care. You can't talk to them that way. Worst of all is Gilda. You can't treat her that way."

"I can and will. I am king, and I do what I want. I am the strongest here, and Celestia will not meddle in minor affairs. In fact, for your insolence, I think you deserve a little punishment. As long as I don't kill you it will be fine."

He then attempted to smack Fluttershy out of the sky with the back of one talon. It suddenly stopped, a swarm of glowing pink butterflies around it. It was still strange as all get out that Fluttershy had magic, and that it took the form of butterflies. Even weirder that those antlers she had for a while practically made her an alicorn. He swiped a second paw, and more butterflies appeared. Soon he was hovering in the air. Supported by countless of the little things. Twi did say something about form not being the really important thing when it came to what set us apart from the princesses. Suddenly I was very sure Flutter wasn't that far at away at all.

"You are even worse than I thought. An assassin is a beacon of kindness? What a joke."

"You're not trying to help us be better ponies, you're not pointing out our failings because you want to help but just to be mean. You should be ashamed."

"I told you, that won't work. I am strong, and keep my people well fed and secure. Griffany is efficient and prosperous as it's ever been because of my rule. Everything else is meaningless. I feel no shame."

Then the butterflies began the slowly fade, one by one disappearing. He began to struggle, and it was clear he was breaking free. Then he laughed.

"I won't kill any of you, but you'll all pay for this insult. You will suffer."

"No." Fluttershy sounded strange, but one word was too short to figure it out.

"I told you…"

"You will stop. You will sit. You will not move."

Then I had it. This wasn't a scolding voice or righteous anger, it was a calm even voice filled with utter certainty. Like she was simply stating how many clouds are in the sky, or the time. Like it was a fact. And then the king made it so. As he sat down on his throne his eyes opened wide and he began to lightly shake. I hadn't really noticed it before. It was a simple black marble thing with a big cushion on the seat. Mare that is a big throne. I then noticed Gilda had done the same as her father other than lacking a throne to sit on.

"You are her, aren't you? Celestia herself, here to pay games. Some kind of sick mind-game of a bored immortal."

Fluttershy shook her head. "No. And I'm so sorry."

"I doubt that. This what you wanted isn't it, me helpless?"

"Not that, I mean I'm sorry you have to be this way. I'm sorry for whatever haunts you this way. I'm sorry you see kindness only as a weakness."

"It is a weakness."

"Take off the cape and crown." Said Fluttershy, strangely calm again, and quieter. "It's not just a weakness, and it's a far greater strength."

Then the king suddenly shrunk. I was sorta wondering how that could work since he was bigger than the doors. He was still really big, maybe twice as big as Gilda or so. Still the biggest Griffin I'd ever seen, but not I will eat you in one bite big. Though looking at the throne made me realize that maybe he hadn't really been as big as I thought. In fact he also seemed way less terrifying, and not just because he was smaller. Must have been some kinda magic. Why else would I have been too scared to do anything?

Then Fluttershy hugged him. For a very long time there was only silence, and the fear in his eyes faded to pure confusion. When Fluttershy finally released from the hug he smiled. I smiled too. Then he head-butted her and she fell to the ground.

"Hmm, maybe not the goddess herself after all. Still, that was not easy." He turned to his king stuff on the floor. "Clearly the time for intimidation is past, and I don't need that to deal with any of you."

Pinkie then jumped to the front, and glared at the king. Something was very, very wrong. There was some sort of odd static in the air and fur was standing on end. Then I noticed something about Pinkie's hair. Normally I try not to focus too much on her mess of curls because I get confused and sick to my stomach. Right now the curls looked like the edge of a blade. I then tried to figure out how that could work but started feeling nauseous so I stopped. I had seen Pinkie angry before I thought, but maybe those burning eyes when someone broke a promise isn't as bad as it gets. What happened to that stallion was so funny, but I would never want it to happen to me. I was suddenly wondering what Pinkie was like when she was truly furious. Then she laughed.

"I challenge you…" Began Pinkie and Gilda gasped. "To a game of…" Pinkie then breifly paused. "Death Ball."

Again the room went silent. Twilight's horn glowed briefly, along with Fluttershy, and then Twi let out a held breath and smiled slightly for moment. That must mean it isn't that bad. Pinkie then used her wings to leap backward and land between me and Gilda. Then she leaned toward me. The king looked confused again.

"Uh, Dashie, what's Death Ball?"

Or maybe Pinkie is the same as always. I sighed. "You mean you don't know either?"

"You challenged me to a game you don't even know?" The king's eye twitched.

"What, its not like that's a big deal." Then she leaned toward Gilda "So what should I have said instead of Death Ball."

"I don't know. I can't follow your craziness. I thought for a second you were going to challenge him for the crown but…"

"Oooo, that sounds like a way better idea. I mean what was I thinking? Death ball? That sounds totally dangerous."

"But the challenge is deadly. He will kill you."

Gilida then blinked, realized she was talking to empty air. Pinkie was suddenly in front of the king. More specifically she was between him and Fluttershy. That sure isn't subtle. The king glared at her.

"You can't seriously…"

"Awww, I have to do it seriously, fine." Pinke then stood up on her back paws, and pointed at him. Then she blinked and looked at her own talon. "OOOOO."

I face hooved. "She really just figured that out?"

"What?" asked Gilda

"That she her talons have fingers or, well, you know. They're not hooves."

"Wow. That's impressively lame."

"Oh yea, I challenge you for the crown you big meanie. A griffin like you totally shouldn’t be king."

"Ridiculous. You aren't a citizen of this realm and…"

"She can." Said Gilda "The rules of the challenge isn't any citizen, it's any griffin in the land. Also there is no rule about being born a griffin. She's here, as she makes the challenge she's a griffin. That's all that's required."

The king roared in Pinkie's face. She just giggled.

"Very well. I will accept your challenge. Name your terms."

"Ooo. I'll name the first one Butterscotch, and the second one is Rainbow Blitz, and the third Elusive, and the forth Berry Bubble, the fifth Dusk Shine." Pinkie then took a breath. "Oh, but what exactly is a term and how many do I get?"

First most of us simply sighed, then the room went silent. For a long time the king just stared. I really couldn’t blame him. Gilda then walked forward to stand closer to Pinkie. She shook her head.

"Okay listen up loser. It's like this. Terms means the terms of the challenge. Usually it's a battle. But the more annoying option is to pick up to three challenges that test the three principals of the crown."

"They are three things you clearly lack." The king laughed. "Strength, endurance, and intelligence."

"Ooo, so like I could pick riddles for intelligence, a baking contest for endurance, and rock pushy for strength?"

"Rock pushy?" I asked

Gilda laughed. "Riddles is even traditional. But how does baking for endurance work?"

"Duh." She rolled her eyes. "You just keep baking till ya drop. Cause its endurance it doesn't matter if it's any good or how fast you make stuff, as long as you keep going."

"I find both of those acceptable."

"Oh gee, I wonder why?"

Gilda then rolled her eyes. None of them were paying attention as Twilight lifted Fluttershy off the ground and began to float her over. She quickly woke up, wings flapping. She then zipped behind me, and pressed close to both me and the floor. I shook my head.

"He can still see you. Just be glad he's still distracted. She's fine, right Twi?"

"Yes, though when I first used the spell I was fairly sure she had a mild concussion. However now it's completely gone."

"So all that, and she heals super fast. Wow Flutter, you hit the jackpot."

"Uh, I guess."

"That simple?" asked the king

"Yeppers, you push the rock and I push the rock. Whoever pushes it further when time runs out wins. Since we're pushing against each other it's like a super good test."

"Not quite traditional, but close." Said Gilda

"Very well. I accept."

"By the way, he will kill you when you lose. It's the winner's choice of what to do with their defeated opponent, even if the tests themselves aren't to the death."

"Yes, and the treaty respects all Griffin traditions, so this is your last chance to back out little pony." He galred down at her, smiling.

"Nope a roo. I'm good. See I wanna completely humiliate you in front of your people and take your crown because…" Then Pinkie got a terrifying look in her eye. "Nothing hurts Fluttershy. Nothing."

Everyone griffin and non took a step back. I think her voice dropped at least an octave and I swear it echoed. But the worst part is it was still oddly cheerful. The king shook his head. Pinkie then giggled.

"Then let us prepare. I've never had pony before, but by all accounts it's delicious."

"This is going to be fun."

"I'll escort them out father."

"At least you're good for something."

The doors then opened and Gilda simply walked forward, assuming we would follow. It took a great deal of self control not to simply gallop out of the room. I quickly caught up to Gilda.

"Well, against all odds I think I could actually get to like all your friends. Each isn't that terrible. I never thought I'd see Clutzer…" Gilda shook her head "Fluttershy of all ponies stand up to my father, but I did and it was amazing."

"I didn't either."

"I'm even beginning to like the annoying pink one. Too bad she's gonna die."

"That's all you have to say?"

"What else is there to say? You cross dad, you suffer. It's the way it works. Until his reign we didn't even know that the necklace of state, the third part of the regalia hidden under his feathers, protected against aging."

"As in they died before it was noticed they weren't aging." I asked

"Not always died, but they were unseated. Dad doesn't lose."

"Can she lose one event?"

"She can't, but dad can. She has to prove herself better in all three. Also dad can use the entire army to help him in any challenge."

I blinked. "But she made sure he couldn’t in any of them. Or at least it wouldn’t help. It's about continuing to bake not quality or quantity. One riddle that his army can't answer is a loss, and the rock one…" I cringed.

"Yea, she didn't actually say no one else couldn't help, as long as he keeps pushing."

"Okay, that could be a problem."

Then I smiled. On the other hoof Twilight Sparkle was behind me, and if there were any loopholes in the rules to exploit to Pinkie's advantage, I bet she could find them.

Author's Note:

Pinkie wasn't really supposed to do that, but then as I was writing she just did.