• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 2,841 Views, 63 Comments

The Machine - ADRNEL



Adam Gray, 19th century scientist, Time Travels into the future and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
30
 63
 2,841

Chapters Next
Chapter I~The Beginning (First Part)~

Friday, December 13, 1895

A clock strikes 2:50pm and a bell rings, suddenly, students rush out of the classroom and into the hallway to either get to their next class or go home, it is the last day before final exams at the university.

In the middle of the crowd a tall man, wearing a grey coat and matching waistcoat, along with dark trousers and bow tie, and with short combed hair and cropped beard and mustache is walking through the crowd. Many students nervously walk past him as the man continues on his way.

The man finally reaches his destination, a classroom, he opens the door to find a young man with long shoulder length black hair and wearing a blazer, writing various equations on the chalk board. The young man is very focused on what he's doing, typical for him.

“Adam?” said the tall man, getting the young man's attention.

The young man stops what he is doing and turns to see the tall man.

“Hello Henry, how was your day?” asked Adam, continuing on writing his equations.

“The same, as always.” Henry then reaches into his pocket and takes out a letter. “This came in the mail today, its from the journal.”

Adam stops writing, intrigued about the letter. “What does it say? Did they approve my paper?”. Adam then brushes the chalk dust of his clothes as he looks over the equations.

Henry reads the letter.

“Dear Mr. Gray, we regretfully inform you that your paper on the ‘Partical Uses of Microwaves’ has been rejected for publication. Although your paper makes scientific sense, we, along with other scientists in the country, feel that it makes no ‘practical’ sense. Do not let this rejection deter you from trying again, but next time, please be sure to propose something with more ‘practle weight’. Sincerley, The Physics American Review Board, New York City, New York.”

Adam is in shock, he turns towards his friend. “They rejected by paper?” he exclaims.

“Well, I always thought the idea of cooking foods with microwaves was a silly idea.” stated Henry.

Adam just erases his equations from the chalk board, then puts on his topcoat without missing a single beat. “It is not ‘silly’, just ahead of its time!” said Adam frustrated. “That was the fourth paper they rejected this year!”

“Don’t worry about it, didn’t you say you have a vault papers they have yet to see in your lab?” stated Henry, trying to cheer him up.

“I do, but I am just tired of the rejection, maybe I should give up this distraction of teaching and focus on my scientific persuits and raising my mares in peace!” explained a frustrated Adam.

“Unfortunatly, doing expirements and raising mares does not make for adequate income, Adam.” rebutted Henry. Adam says nothing and walks off, Henry just follows him.


While walking through the university courtyard, Adam and Henry are confronted by a man in a thick beard a fancy business suit, smoking a cigar; it is the dean of the University.

"Professor Gray, just the man I needed to see." greeted the dean with a smirk. Adam is reluctant to deal with him, but goes along with it.

"What is it Mr. Faust?" said Adam with slight annoyance in his voice.

"Can you tell me what class you are teaching this semester?" asked Mr. Faust, throwing away what is left of his cigar on the ground.

"Why, Applied Engineering, Mr. Faust." answered Adam, Henry just looks on, feeling the tension between his friend and the dean.

"Then why am I getting reports from students that you have been straying from the curriculum?" Mr. Faust tone now angry. "I've hired you because your friend Mr. Wotton recommended you for the position and that you were a brilliant physicsist." explained Mr. Faust, putting his face near Adam's. "Also, the fact that Mr. Wotton is married to my daughter Lauren was a deciding factor in hiring you!" Mr. Faust then puts his hands on Adam's shoulders. "Now listen, if I here that you've been straying from the curriculum again, I will not hesitant in dismissing you before the next semester, understood?"

Adam just nods, not because he understood, but to give him what he wants. Mr. Faust then lets Adam go and walks off. "Tell my daughter that I'll be visiting this Christmas!" he says to Henry as he leaves.

Adam just gives the dean a dirty look.


Later, Adam and Henry are walking in the snow covered town square, heading to Adam’s house.

“Humans!” exclaimed Adam. “The most flawed creature in the animal kingdom I might say! We are conformist, self-centered bastards who are only as smart as the dumbest person.” ranted Adam, still thinking about his encounter with the dean.

“Please don’t get started again, I already know that you don’t think of humans so highly, in fact, I think it’s why you raise and care for the mares and bury yourself in your work, you hate humans.” explained Henry. Henry, despite being ten years older, is Adam's first and only friend, and it is his job to keep his friend in check.

“I do not hate humans, I just do not think highly of them.” responded Adam. “Rousseau is right you know.” Henry cringes at what he says, from the fact that he's heard it many times before.

As they leave the town square they come across another friend, actually Henry's other friend, Basil, the richest man in Athens, Ohio, showing off his latest purchase, a horseless carriage.

“Adam, Henry, how did the day go?” said Basil getting off the carriage and greeting them.

“They rejected me again and I am on thin ice with the dean.” stated Adam, slightly angry in tone.

“Well, do you like my latest purchase?” said Basil showing off the horseless carriage.

“I feel sorry for the horses.” dryly stated Adam, before walking off to his home, not bothering to say goodbye.

“Forgive Adam, he loves horses and hates to be reminded that they’ll one day become obsolete.” said Henry, shaking hands with Basil and walking off after Adam. Basil is left stumped.


Adam reaches his American Craftsman home just outside of town and knocks on the door, after a minute his housekeeper Mrs. Tuppence, an old Scottish woman in her sixties answers the door.

“Mr. Grey! What are you doing out in the cold without a hat?” said Mrs. Tuppence, acting like a mother.

“Because everyone wears one!” responded Adam as he picks up the mail. Henry then shows up at the door before Mrs. Tuppence has a chance to close it.

“Oh, sorry, Mr. Wotton, I didn’t know you were coming.” explained Mrs. Tuppence.

“That’s alright.” said Henry, as he sees Adam go into his laboratory and study.

Adam turns on the electric lights and begins reading his mail, especially his correspondence with Nikola Tesla. Henry enters the laboratory and looks around, papers all over the desks, the walls filled with bookshelves and chalk boards with an endless amount of equations on them, and in the middle of the room is a tank containing a large pet lizard. Henry goes up to the tank and examins the lizard.

“His name is Spike, a fellow correspondant from the Galapagos gave him to me as a gift last month.” said Adam, putting his letters away and walking past him.

Henry then sees Adam take off his waistcoat and vest, then put on an overcoat, and leave the backdoor. Henry reluctantly follows suit.

“Ladies, daddy is home!” exclaimed Adam, turning on the electric lights to reveal horse stables, filled with six mares. Henry looks around as Adam pets and greets each of the six mares.

“What happened to the stallions?” asked Henry, last time he visited there where 12 horses.

“I sold them all at the farmer’s auction last month to fund my expirements.” explained Adam. Henry then sees metal name plates on each of the stables, filled with strange names such as Twilight, Jack, Rarity, Dash, Flutter and Pinkie.

“I assumed that since you gave these six mares intresting names, you will not be selling them anytime soon?” stated Henry, staring at the mare named Twilight. He could swear he saw some intelligence in that horse’s eyes.

“I would rather die than see them get sold.” explained Adam. He then checks his pocket watch, a gift from his father when he died, and is shocked at the time. “Damn, I better hurry before I’m late!”

“Late for what?” asked Henry.

“My meeting with Mary.” stated Adam. He runs off to change into more presentable clothes. Henry silently waves goodbye to the mares and turns off the lights.

After changing, Adam quickly puts on his topcoat, says goodbye to Henry and Mrs. Tuppence and runs off.

“I sware, he will be the death me!” exclaimed Mrs. Tuppence. Henry just chuckles.

“Well, it was great meeting you, but I must get home to the wife, farewell Mrs. Tuppence.” said Henry putting on his bowler hat and heading outside.

“Farewell Mr. Wotton!” responded Mrs. Tuppence as she closes the door to get out of the cold air of winter.


After a few minutes of running, Adam finally reaches the park, catching his breath. He looks around to see a brass orchestra playing in the gazebo, and many people ice skating in the frozen pond. He then spots his girlfriend Mary ice skating byherself.

“Adam! Down here! You’re late!” yelled Mary after spotting him, she is the local librarian, has her hair styled like a Gibson Girl and is wearing a purple dress. She then slips and falls on here rear but laughs.


Later, Adam and Mary are walking alone in the park, arm in arm.

“Winter is so beautiful, isn’t it?” said Mary.

“Not as beautiful as you.” answered Adam, he then starts to stare in the distance, deep in thought. Mary is Adam's first and only girlfriend, they met two years ago and have been dating ever since.

“What are you thinking about?” asked Mary.

“About the time I met you, two years ago, spring.” answered Adam. “I was bicycle riding in the park at sunset when I saw you sitting in the green seeing the sun go down. Then I saw your eyes, those eyes that seem to sparkle in the twilight. I knew I had to meet you, so I walked up to you, but I was so nervous, I wasn’t able to get a single meaningful word out--“

“I found that cute, so I took pity on you and started talking to you.” interrupted Mary, finishing the story. “Why are you thinking about that?” Mary can see that Adam is nervous.

“Because of how beautiful your eyes sparkled…in the twilight.” explained a nervous Adam. “And I knew I wanted to see that for the rest of my life.” Adam then moves in front of Mary and goes down on his knee.

“Mary Oak,” said Adam, reaching into his pocket and showing her a ring, starting to cry. “Will you mary me?”

Mary just smiles and nods yes. Adam is over joyed by her reaction he then gets up as they both hug and kiss each other while saying "I love you" to each other.


A few minutes later, the couple is walking arm in arm alone in an empty part of the park, until they hear rustling in the bushes, they turn to see a poor, homeless, mugger pointing a pistol at them.

“Such a lovely couple, I’m sorry to do this, but I demand that you give all your money and valuables!” explained the mugger. "A man has to eat you know!"

“Okay, take it easy.” Adam gives him all the money he has and his pocket watch. “There.”

“The ring!” pointed the mugger at the ring Mary has on her finger.

“But-“ said Mary.

“THE RING!” yelled the mugger.

Adam, sensing an opportunity, then lunges at the mugger without the mugger knowing, knocking him to the ground, but a shot rings out. Adam turns to see Mary falling to the ground, her purple dress stained with blood.

“NO!” yelled Adam, he gets off the mugger and goes over to the dying Mary.

“It was your fault, that wasn’t supposed to happen!” said the mugger, getting up, he then runs off into the night with his gun, leaving behind the money and pocket watch he acquired.

“Mary! Please don’t die!” exclained a cry Adam.

Mary doesn't say a word as he body goes limp and her eyes close.

“NOOOOO!” screamed Adam to the night sky. The love of his life is dead.

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

My first Human In Equestria story.

NOTE: Adam won't reach Equestria until the third chapter, so no ponies until then. These first two chapters are for developing Adam and to explain how he ended up in Equestria in the first place.

NEXT WEEK: Chapter II~The Beginning (Last Part)~

Chapters Next