• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 2,841 Views, 63 Comments

The Machine - ADRNEL



Adam Gray, 19th century scientist, Time Travels into the future and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
30
 63
 2,841

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XII~The Crusaders~

Chapter XII

The Crusaders


Day 67

Winter, and outside Ponyville is the local school house, where all the young fillies and colts of Ponyville go to school. Inside, all the students are getting ready to go home until their teacher; Miss Cheerilee, makes an announcement.

"Well class," started the purple mare. "the end of the year is here and you know what that means?" she asks.

A red maned Earth pony filly with glasses immediatly raises her foreleg. "Ah yes...Twist" pointed the teacher at one of her students.

"The annual year end thience fair!" the young filly announces with a lisp.

"That's right!" the teacher cheerfully explains. "The annual year end science fair will be held at Town Hall this upcoming weekend, so please get into groups of two or three and come up with a scientific subject to present." Cheerilee then takes out a flier for a prestegious univsery. "The winning team will not only receive the trophy but also a joint-full scholarship to the prestiegious 'Canterlot Academy of Science, Technology and Engineering' or 'CASTE' for short, where several of the judges are professors at."

Cheerilee then sees another foreleg lift up in the air. "Yes...Apple Bloom."

"So you're sayin' that if we win...we have a guarenteed spot at the Academy and it'll be fully paid for?" asked the young filly.

"That's what full scholarship means...but it is optional, only if you accept." explained Miss Cheerilee.

Apple Bloom then looks at her two friends, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. The three of them silently agree to be partners for this, and possibly earn their cutie marks while at it.

At the same time, both Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon also silently agree to work together, micheaveous smiles forming on their faces.


"So," started Scootaloo, as she and her two friends walk out of the school building to head home. "what are we going to do for our science project?"

"Don't look at me!" exclaimed Sweetie Belle. "I'm not to good on the subject."

"Well, ah know someone who can help us come up with an idea!" announced Apple Bloom to her two friends.

"Who?" asked Scootaloo.


"You want me to what?" asked a confused Adam while he's outside, inspecting the progress on the construction of his new home, while talking to the three fillies.

"We want you to help us with our science project for this weekend, and since you are a scientist, what better pony to ask!" happily explained Apple Bloom to her human, her crush.

Adam thinks about it for a few minutes until he comes up with an idea. "Well...I think I may have an idea."

The three fillies just happily look at each other, looking forward to what the human has come up.


"A kinetic energy machine?" asked a confused Apple Bloom as she, her two friends, and the human are looking over several sketchs of various contraptions in their clubhouse. "What's that?"

"It is sometimes called a 'chain reaction machine'," stated Adam. "I built these all the time during my two years travelling with a vaudeville troupe across the country." he explains.

"Do really think this will impress the judges?" asked a skeptical Scootaloo.

"I'm sure it will...it was a big hit with the intellectuals and children," the human continues. "so I'm sure it will be a big hit amoungst the judges."

"So what do you want us to do?" asked an anxious Sweetie Belle, intreagued by the idea.

"Well...Scootaloo, I need you take your wagon, go around Ponyville and get as much supplies as you can, preferably things that are no longer being used." ordered the human to the pegasus filly who nods in agreement. "Sweetie...I need you to work on the research and presentation, and as for you...Apple Bloom...I want you to help me assemble and build it."

"Are you sure? Ah don't think that's a good idea for me to help you-" stated an unsure Apple Bloom before the human puts his finger on her lips to stop her from talking.

"I'm sure." was all the human states, smiling. Apple Bloom looks at his brown eyes and smile, and happily nods in agreement.

"Good!" exclaimed Adam. "We'll meet back here by sundown."

The three fillies then quickly trot out of the clubhouse "CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SCIENTISTS AWAY!", leaving a bemused Adam to come up with a design.


"FLUTTERSHY! HELP!" yelled Rainbow Dash, scared, who is dangling from a tree branch by a rope tied around her wings and midsection, as a group of winter animals with sticks and angry faces gather around her on the ground, the animals are about to use her as a pinata.

"Mama's here with dinner! Come and get it!" yelled a sing-song voice. The animals turn around to see Fluttershy with several plates and bags of animal feed. The animals drop their sticks and immediatly run towards Fluttershy and the food.

While the animals eat their meals, Fluttershy walks up towards Dash, who is dangling above her from the ground.

"Thank Celestia you're finally here! These animals are crazy!" exclaimed Dash with a sigh of relief.

"Sorry about that Dash...they get a little irratable where they miss their meal time." sheepishly explained the yellow pegasus to her close friend.

"No kidding" mumbled Dash under her breath. "Where have you been all day Shy?" she asks.

"Just getting some supplies and..." Fluttershy quietly mumbles the rest of the sentance, too nervous to say.

"You were thinking about him...weren't you?" stated a concered Dash, still dangling off the ground.

"Y-yes." was all Fluttershy was able to get out.

"Shy, that over three weeks ago!" exclaimed Dash. "You two can't avoid each other forever!"

"I-I know...but I just get so nervous...a-and...I just hate proving my name right." nervously stammered Fluttershy, looking like she's about to cry.

"Well...as much as I love to talk to you more about this...can you please do me a favor?" pleaded Dash to her friend.

"Anything."

"GET ME DOWN!" yelled a desperate Dash.


Night time as both Adam and Apple Bloom are alone in the clubhouse going over building schematics for the contraption, both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo left to go home.

"Adam," asked Apple Bloom to the human. "do you think I'll ever get a cutie mark?"

"I'm sure you will someday." answered Adam with optimisim.

"But that's what everypony says, what if I remain a blank flank for the rest of my life?" stated the filly, tired of hearing the same answer.

"You will NOT be a blank flank for the rest of your life," stated Adam, wrapping his arm around the filly to comfort her. "besides, do you want to hear how I found my talent?" asked the human. The filly just shakes her head. "I just sat back and did nothing until my talent found me instead." he answers.

Apple Bloom just gives the human a confused look.

"Sometimes you find the things you are searching for by NOT searching for them, by being patient." he explains. "Because I'm sure that with a lot of patience, time and focus on what you're good at...you'll earn your cutie mark in no time." he then decides to ask the filly a question. "Tell me Apple Bloom, what are you good at?"

"Well...my sister would tell me that ah's good a building things." Apple Bloom explains nervously.

"Then I suggest you focus on that, okay?" Adam suggests.

Apple Bloom just nods in agreement, unable to disagree with him, she would do anything for him. It was at this moment that filly finally decides to tell the human how she feels about him.

"Adam...ah-"

"APPLE BLOOM! TIME FOR BED!" yelled Applejack from outside, interrupting the filly.

"Wow...it's really late," stated Adam looking at his pocket watch. "You heard your sister, off to bed." playfully ordered the human. Apple Bloom does as told, but is dissapointed at the interruption.

"Maybe next time..." thought Apple Bloom as she meets her older sister outside.


The moon is shining across the snow covered land as Adam is walking back to the library for the night. He can hear his boots crush the snow beneath him, but he could sware that he can also hear someone walking behind him. Adam quickly turns around to see nopony there.

Adam just stands there, looking around suspiciously before giving up and continuing on his walk. But as soon as he starts walking again, the sounds of somepony else following behind him start as well, only louder and closer. Adam just tries to slowly quicken his pace, but the sounds do the same.

"It sounds like someone...WANTS TO SELL ME SOMETHING!" yelled Adam, quickly turning around, only to be met with nothing, the landscape once again quiet. "Damn it Davenport! It better not be you again!" yelled the human, but he sees no one around.

"I'M NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU'RE SELLING!" the human yells, getting paranoid, before turns around to run, only to be met with the sight of a shovel hitting his face, followed by darkness.


Adam wakes up to find himself sitting on a chair, his hands and feet tied to it with rope, in the middle of a dark room, a single lightbulb providing the light.

"I see you're finally awake freak!" spat a familiar voice.

"Oh no..." stated an annoyed Adam, knowing full well who it is.

"That's right...it's me, Diamond Tiara" stated a smug filly, walking into the light.

"What do you want from me? Why did you tie me up?" spat Adam, not wanting to deal with her and her antics.

"Because I want to talk to you." stated the filly, Adam has a feeling that she wants to do more than just 'talk', and he doesn't like it.

"Look," continued the human, struggling to get free. "if this is about the scholarship to the academy-" he was immediatly interrupted by a swift buck to his shin.

"It's not about the scholarship you idiot!" exclaimed Diamond Tiara, "first of all, my father has enough money to pay for my tuition there, so I have no use for a scholarship, second, I'm not planning on going to that egghead filled place because I'm going to an art school to study jewlery and then get an apprentiaceship with one of the greatest jewlers in Equestria." stated the filly with smug satisfaction.

"And I'm going to a culinary arts school in Prance!" chimned another voice, who Adam assumes is Silver Spoon.

"No freak, I'm doing this to tell you how much I hate you, how much I despise you!" spat Diamond Tiara. "You don't deserve to live with us, because you're nothing but an animal that deserves to be treated like one, an animal that belongs in the Everfree forest, not Ponyville!"

Adam is confused and slightly intimidated. "So you tied me up to this chair so you can tell me that?" asked the human.

"NO!" yelled the pink filly, jumping up and siting on Adam's lap. "I tied you up so I can humiliate you and see you squirm," Diamond Tiara then puts her forelegs around the human's neck and angrily stares into his eyes, she then begins to whisper into the humans ear. "and to tell you that Apple Bloom is in love with you." the filly whispers.

"What?" exclaimed Adam from what he heard. He is then met by a slap on the face from the filly.

"Did I stutter!" spat the filly. "Apple Bloom is in love with you, my goodness you're dense!"

"You're lying!" angrily spat Adam at Diamond Tiara. "I doubt she likes me in that way!"

"Like I said...you're the most densest being I have met yet!" stated Diamond Tiara. "You claim to be a scientist, now do what scientists do...think!" she orders.

Adam begins to think about Apple Bloom, and how she would always try to spend time with him, how happy she was around him, all those things they did together, only to finally realize the truth; Apple Bloom is in love with him and he was too focused on himself to notice.

"Now you're getting it..." hissed the filly. "she has been in love with you since she first met you, and all you've done was ignore her feelings."

"She's a pony." Adam explains.

"Horse manure! That didn't stop you from making-out with that freak of a pegasus you call Fluttershy!" she angrily spat.

"How did-?"

"Word travels fast around this town, especially if it is something that involves you." explained the smug filly. "So I doubt the fact that she's a pony will stop you." she then, much to Adam's shock, turns around and presses her rump against his crotch. "I bet you're liking this." she then begins to grind her rump against the humiliated human.

"Stop it! Please!" begged Adam.

"Your lips say no, but your body says yes." hissed the filly, as she continues, getting faster.

"STOP!" yelled a desperate Adam, the friction getting him aroused.

"Say it!" the filly explains, not showing signs of stoping. "Say it and I'll stop you freak."

Adam didn't want to, but if Diamond Tiara said she was going to humilate him, then he might as well give her what she wants. "OKAY! I'M IN LOVE WITH A PONY! PLEASE STOP!" screamed a desperate Adam.

"That's all I wanted to hear." grinned Diamond Tiara, stopping what she was doing and getting off of his lap. "I don't know what the shrinking violet freak and the inbred freak see in you, but I guess the fact that they're freaks as well makes sense." she then silently gives a nod to Silver Spoon in the distance. "I humiliated you enough for tonight...say 'good night'."

Suddenly, a rag is placed on Adam's mouth, presumeably by Silver Spoon, as the human blacks out once again.


The next thing Adam knows, it is sunrise and he's laying on a park bench.

"I hope that was only a bad dream." mumbled Adam as he gets up.


Several days later...

The weekend has arrived, and Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity have arrived together at Town Hall to attend the year-end science fair. Once inside they see several booths and a lot of ponies walking around.

"Can we go home now." nervously stated Fluttershy, not really comfortable around crowds.

"No...we're not leaving until they announce the winner and you talk to Adam." explained Rarity. Applejack nods in agreement to what Rarity said.


At another part of the room, behind a white screen, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are busy putting the finishing touches on the contraption, while Adam is peeking out looking at a group of unicorn stallions in business suits, the judges from the Canterlot Academy of Science, Technology and Engineering.

"They're coming!" warned the human to the three fillies.

The three fillies quickly finish what they're doing. "Done!" announced Apple Bloom.

"Good," stated Adam. "now remember, I had no part in this." he explains.

"Don't worry...we won't tell." grinned Sweetie Belle.

Adam quietly sneaks off just as the judges reach the white screen, the three fillies assemble in front of it.

"So...what have you three got for us?" asked one of the judges.

"The project we're presenting is about energy transfer," explained Sweetie Belle as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo grab both sides of the screen. "behold!"

Both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo take down the sheet to reveal a large chain reaction machine.

"Using nothing but kinetic energy...Scootaloo will drop a marble which will travel down several ramps, then knock a series of dominoes which will push a train down another ramp, bumping into a baseball, which will land on a clothespin, releasing a string that will cause this bag of sand to open, the sand will dump into this wagon, which will go down another ramp, which will not knock down another series of dominoes which it will fall on another clothespin, releasing another string, which will release a pendulum with a sharpend pencil, popping the balloon!" describe Sweetie Belle in a big run-on sentence.

The judges are stunned from the description, at the same time, Applejack and Rarity have arrive to see the machine in action.

"Okay Scootaloo! Let it rip!" yelled the unicorn filly to her friend holding the marble. Scootaloo does as told and drops the marble. Soon the machine does everything that Sweetie Belle described eariler, all the way down to the pencil popping the balloon.

The judges quickly write in their clipboards and talk amoungst themselves, before moving on to the next booth.


"Mares and gentlecolts, it's time to announce the top three teams of the annual Ponyville year-end science fair!" announced a cheerfull Cheerilee from the stage to the crowd, all of her students standing behind her. One of the judges gives her an envelope with the results.

"Okay...in third place is Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon for their booth 'Cooking with Lasers'." happily announced Cheerilee.

"Third place!?" yelled the two fillies in shock as their teacher hands them a small bronze trophy. "Come on Silver Spoon, this is a waste of time." ordered Diamond Tiara to her friend. They both trot off, leaving the trophy behind.

"In second place is the team of Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle for their chain reaction machine!" announced Cheerilee to the crowd. The entire crowd goes wild, especially Applejack and Rarity. The three fillies accept a medium sized silver trophy.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS! YAY!" the three of them yell. They quickly check their rumps only to find them bare as always. They are dissapointed but at least happy to have beaten Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

"But the winning booth goes to Twist and Snips for their booth on electromagnets!" announced the teacher. "Therefore, not only do they take home the gold trophy, but they both get full scholarships to the Canterlot Academy of Science, Technology and Engineering!"

Both Twist and Snips give each other a hoofbump before happily accepting the large gold trophy.


Outside, Adam is sitting on a bench, able to hear the cheers coming from inside Town Hall.

"You did it Apple Bloom." mumbled a smiling Adam, happy for her and her friends for at least getting second place.

"Adam?" asked a nervous voice, Adam turns around to see Fluttershy sitting next to him.

"Fluttershy." responded the human.

Both of them don't say a word to each other.

"I'M SORRY!" they both say to each other at the same time.

"Uh...y-you first." stammered an embrassased Fluttershy, blushing.

"Look Fluttershy," started the human, nervous as well. "I love you, I love you very much, but it's just that...I'm not ready for a relationship right now, but I promise, the moment I'm ready, I'll be glad to have you as my marefriend." explained the human.

"I-I understand...you have some things to work out and I don't want to pressure you into anything...because I love you too." stated Fluttershy, still blushing.

"So...friends...for now?" asked Adam.

"Friends." agreed the pegasus.

They both envelope each other into a hug, happy to be together again.

"Hey Adam! We did it! We-" yelled Apple Bloom sprinting outside from Town Hall, only to see a shocking site; Adam and Fluttershy cuddling together on the bench.

"But ah love you." mumbled the filly, her heart breaking. She quietly and sadly walks back inside, her head hanging low in heart break. Adam finally found his special somepony, and it is not Apple Bloom.

NEXT WEEK: The Academy

Author's Note:

We are a third of the way there!

NEXT WEEK (5/4): Rainbow Dash gets accepted into the Wonderbolts Academy, and Adam tags along.

Thanks for all the faves so far!

PreviousChapters Next