• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 2,841 Views, 63 Comments

The Machine - ADRNEL



Adam Gray, 19th century scientist, Time Travels into the future and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
30
 63
 2,841

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XVIII~The Concert~

Chapter XVIII

The Concert


Day 128

At Canterlot castle, a large carriage pulls up to the front entrance. The carriage doors open to reveal Prince Blueblood, returning back from a diplomatic mission to the Griffin Empire.

"Announcing the return of His Highness, Prince Blueblood!" yelled a guard.

The white unicorn prince just smugly trots to the front entrance to see his aunt, Princess Celestia waiting for him.

"How did it go?" asked Celestia as they walk back inside to the palace.

"It was a boring six months, but at least I made sure nothing bad happened between our nations." Blueblood stated. "Even though I spent most of my six months in my guest chambers intimately familiarizing myself to many of their females." he smugly thought in his head.

"That's good to hear." smiled Celestia. "Oh...and I would like to tell you that we have a guest staying with us for a while."

"A guest?" the prince is shocked to hear. "Since when?"

"Since over two weeks ago." answered the princess. "She's currently in the gardens training right now."

A royal guard then trots up to Celestia and gives her a note. Celestia opens it with her magic and reads it.

"Looks like I have a tax dispute to settle...I'll see you at dinner with Aunt Luna, have to go." Celestia just waves goodbye to her distant nephew and before trotting off with the royal guard, leaving Blueblood alone.


At Ponyville, a gray mare barges into a building, she has a very stoic look on her face as she barges into an office.

“Madam Mayor, we have a problem.” said the mare, stoic but anxious.

The mayor of Ponyville, Mayor Mare, finishes her paperwork and looks at the gray mare.

“What is it this time Miss Octavia?” asked the mayor, hoping it was something serious this time.

“It’s about the gala I’ll be performing in, you see, my regular pianist has a bad case of food poisoning and won’t be making it to the show, so unless we can find one on short notice, I’m afraid we can’t perform at the gala.” explained Octavia.

“That’s too bad, oh well, looks like we’ll have to get Miss Scratch to perform instead.” said the mayor.

Octavia's stoic face turns into shock. “WHAT!”

The mayor just looks, knowing what's going to happen.

“You can’t let her perform at the gala, she’s a DJ, she is going to turn the gala into a rave!” exclaimed Octavia, trying to convince the mayor to not let her play.

“Look, I know that you and Miss Scratch have a history, but she’s the only other professional musician in Ponyville that will accept in short notice.” said the mayor, trying to calm Octavia down. “Unless you can find and train a pianist in three days.” The mayor knows that Octavia was willing to take the challenge.

“I’ll do that! I’ll save the sanctity of the gala, and make sure everypony will enjoy the gala so much, they’ll drown in it!” said Octavia leaving, “DROWN IN IT!” before slamming the door.

“Glad that’s over.” mumbled the mayor before getting back to work.


Adam is walking down a path near Sweet Apple Acres, enjoying the beautiful winter landscape, he has never been to a pony gala before, luckily Rarity made him a formal suit to wear to the gala.

“Are you the alien?” said a voice, Adam turns to see a gray mare wearing a pink scarf and earmuffs.

“Yes, I’m the alien, a little obvious seeing as how I’m the only one.” said Adam.

“My name is Octavia, and I lead a small chamber orchestra, I have an offer for you.” said Octavia, stoic as usual.

“What is it?” asked a confused Adam.

“Can you play piano?” asked Octavia, looking at his hands.

“Not since my vaudeville days.” answered Adam.

“You see, my usual pianist is down with the stomach flu and won’t be able to perform with us at the gala. I heard about those ‘fingers’ you have on your hoofs, and thought how perfect they are for playing the piano, so, would you like to perform with us at the gala?” explained Octavia, walking up to him, she then takes Adam’s hands and examines them.

“I don’t know, I prefer to not bring attention to myself, especially since I’m a fish out of water.” said Adam, taking back his hands and starting to walk away.

“But if you don’t accept, then Vinyl Scratch will perform at the gala!” Octavia said to Adam. Adam stops and turns around.

“So?” said Adam.

Octavia hates talking about this. “Well…we kind of have a…history together.” said Octavia trying to explain her relationship with Vinyl Scratch. “And this is supposed to be formal event, not a party.”

Adam saw Vinyl Scratch perform once while visiting a nightclub with his pony friends, he never heard electronic based music before, finding it strange yet interesting, but would rather prefer classical music. Adam then sees Octavia looking sad, he decides to take pity and reluctantly accept.

“Fine, I’ll do it, if it makes you happy.” said a defeated Adam. Octavia returns to being stoic again.

“Thanks, meet me at the town hall for practice first thing tomorrow morning, thanks!” said Octavia waving goodbye and walking off.

“What did I get myself into.” mumbled Adam to himself.


Trixie was in the garden practicing various magical spells, wearing her trademark cape and hat. "Soon...the Great and Powerful Trixie will become the most powerful unicorn in existence!" she gloats. Her eyes are now red from slight over exposure to dark magic.

Blueblood was watching her from a distance, he could help but be impressed by this strange unicorn and her magical abilities, along with her body. "Not bad looking" the prince thought. He then decides to make his presence known to her. "Well...I didn't know auntie Celly took in strays." he states.

Trixie stops what she's doing and turns around to see a white unicorn with a blond mane and smug face. "How dare you call the Great and Powerful Trixie a stray!" Trixie snapped.

"Ooh...feisty aren't we?" smugly stated Blueblood in a playful tone.

"Trixie should have you know...the princess took me in so she can train me in the dark arts and become the most powerful unicorn since Starswirl!" Trixie spat.

"Oh I'm sorry Miss Trixie, the unimportant and feeble, I never knew my aunt thought so highly enough of you to take you under her wing." spat Blueblood back.

Both Trixie and Blueblood stare at each other angrily. They have found a worthy opponent in each other.

"So tell me your highness, how was your diplomatic mission to the Griffon Empire?" Trixie asks incredulously.

"It went well, those six months went by fast." Blueblood responded.

"It probably did, especially since you probably spent most of your time there inside your hotel rutting several female griffons at once." Trixie spat.

"How dare you insinuate such filth commoner!" spat an offended Blueblood. "Especially to a prince!"

"Who's insinuating? I'm just stating the obvious!" spat Trixie back.

"KNOW YOUR PLACE PEASANT!"

"Look who's talking!"

They both leer at each other, not moving at all.


The next day at Ponyville town hall, Adam and Spike enter, seeing the place being cleaned for the gala to be held here in two days.

“Why did I have to go? You didn’t leave me time for breakfast.” complained Spike.

“Well, Twilight and her friends are going to the spa today, what else can you do.” said Adam.

Soon they meet Octavia, waiting for them. They meet and Octavia leads them to a performance hall where they see the rest of her band; a sousaphone player and a harpist.

“Well, this my band, that’s Harpo P Nadermane, my harpist.” pointed Octavia at the harpist.

“Hello! Nice to meet you!” said Harpo, in a refined voice.

“And playing the sousaphone is Beauty Brass, but she prefers to be called ‘Bluenote’.”.

“Hiya!” said an exicted Bluenote.

Octavia then introduces Adam to her band mates. “This here is Adam, he’ll be performing for us temporarly at the gala.” Octavia then shows the human the piano, a baby grand piano. Adam sits down on the piano stool. “Give us a taste of your piano skills.” whispered the mare into his ear.

Adam then thinks about what to play, until he finally comes up with a perfect one. He starts playing Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp minor. He manages to perform the entire song with near accuracy. After finishing he turns around in his stool to see Octavia, Spike and the rest of band stunned and impressed.

“Cool.” said Spike.

Then the group hears somepony yell “Bravo!”, they look towards the room from the stage to find a white unicorn mare with a messy blue mane and sunglasses.

“Vinyl, what are you doing here?” spat Octavia.

“Just giving myself a preview of the gala, I can’t believe you’d be desperate enough to hire a random monkey to play with you so you won’t let me perform, my music brings in a young hip crowd and it would’ve been more awesome if I played.” bragged Vinyl Scratch.

“It’s a gala Vinyl, not a rave, besides, you perform four nights a week for 42 weeks at your club.” spat Octavia. “Me and my band only perform at formal parties, and we’re lucky if we get a gig a month.”

“Ha! Because no one listens to your kind of music anymore, only elders and rich ponies actually listen to your band, while everyone else drinks their wine and talk.” spat back Vinyl.

“Just get out!” yelled Octavia at the DJ unicorn.

Vinyl just laughs and walks off, while Octavia can feel her anger boiling.

Adam just watches the whole thing with stunned surprise.


"I think you're making a grievous mistake!" exclaimed Blueblood to his aunt Celestia, who is busy doing her usual paperwork.

"And that would be?" Celestia asks, not looking up from her work.

"Brining in a dirty homeless miscreant into our palace for one!" continued the unicorn in desperation. "She's nothing but a tramp!"

"That may be true...but she's the perfect student to teach the dark arts to." stated Celestia.

"Why not your little pet Miss Sparkle?!" spat the prince.

""Like I explained earlier...Twilight is too pure to teach the dark arts too."

"You're just passing on what your former lover taught you!" snapped the prince before being flung across the room with Celestia's magic.

"Listen here you insufferable, immature, entitled little jerk!" sternly yelled Celestia at his nephew who is being pinned against the wall by her magic. "The only reason I tolerate your drivel and your unbridled ways is because your my only nephew, got it!?"

Blueblood just nervously nods in agreement.

"Good...now I want you to go and make nice to my student Miss Lulamoon...understood?"

Blueblood just nervously nods again before being drop to the floor.


The day of the gala comes and backstage, Adam has finished tying his bowtie and looks at himself on the mirror, wearing a tailcoat, white bow tie, and white waistcoat. His hair is comed and gelled back.

“Well, here we go.” said Adam to himself.

He leaves his dressing room to find Octavia, Harpo and Bluenote waiting for him. “Ready?” asked Octavia.

“As I’ll ever be.” answered Adam. The four of them walk on to the stage, Adam sees all the guests entering the hall, sitting down and talking, the band then gets to their positions and begin playing.

A half-hour into their set, Adam sees Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy, Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie enter wearing formal dresses, waving at him. Adam briefly waves back before quickly getting back to playing the piano.

An hour later, the band stops playing. “Okay mares and gentlecolts, we’ll be taking a break, but we’ll be back.” announced Octavia. The band, including Adam, walk off the stage.

Adam walks over to Twilight and her friends table and sits down.

“Oh! That was great Adam!” exclaimed a cheerful Pinkie Pie.

“And that outfit looks faboulous, you look presentable.” said Rarity.

“How was it like playing with Octavia’s band.” asked Twilight.

“It’s good, as long as you don’t mention Vinyl Scratch around her.” answered Adam, a little tired.

“Oh, really?” said a new voice, Adam turns to see Vinyl Scratch, wearing only her sunglasses behind him. “Anyways, you have a lot of talent and you’ve earned my respect.” said the DJ mare.

“Thanks, but what happened between you and Octavia?” asked Adam.

“If you must know, me and Octavia were not only roommates at the Canterlot music school but lovers as well.” answered Vinyl Scratch.

Adam is shocked by this revelation. “After we graduated, we decided to pay off our loans by performing at clubs together, unfortunately, the stress of being on the road, my carefree attitude and her perfectionism destroyed not only our shows but our love as well, we broke up and have been rivals since.” Vinyl Scratch explained, “Well, I have to go, I have a feeling we’ll see eachother again real soon.” Vinyl Scratch then walks off, leaving Adam stunned.


At the Canterlot castle, Trixie is reading over a large tome, learning more about dark magic. Suddenly, she hears someone knock on the doorway. The mare turns around to see Blueblood walking up towards her.

"Let me guess." incredulously stated Trixie. "Aunt Celly forced you here to apologize to me?"

"Look here missy." spat Blueblood. "You have no right to be living in the palace or be Celestia's pupil, nor do you have the decency to ever talk to me!" the prince was angry that a simple commoner is getting such nice treatment from her aunt.

"What? Is wittle Bwuebwood jeawous that a wittle peasant tramp wike me is getting aw the attention from auntie?" Trixie cooed in a childish voice, mocking him.

"I am not jealous!" spat Blueblood back, his anger reach a boiling point. "I am angry that a little insignificant peasant tramp is betting treated as equally as me! Royalty!"

Trixie is also getting angry at being belittled like that. "Royalty? Is that what you think you are? Trixie thinks you're nothing but a JERK!"

"Jerk? Well looks who's talking, boaster!" spat Blueblood back, as both the mare and the prince now have their faces within inches of each other, angrily growling at each other.

"Crybaby!"

"Egomaniac!"

"Spoiled brat!"

"Vixen!"

Blueblood's last exclamation struck a chord with Trixie as they both continue to angrily stare at each other. "My room...ten minutes." angrily instructed the mare. Blueblood silently agrees.


Princess Celestia is sleeping in her chambers, she is tossing and turning in her bed, sweating and talking to her sleep.

“No daddy…please…don’t…I love him.” mumbled Celestia in her sleep. She suddenly wakes up from her apperent nightmare. She then begins to cry, she’s been reliving the same event in her dreams every since meeting the human.

"Calm down there...it's only a dream..." assured the princess to herself. "...a dream based off of a bad memory."

After a few minutes, Celestia falls back into a restless sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Author's Note:

YAY! Finally a new chapter!

NOTE: "Vixen" is like the Equestrian equivalent of "Bitch".

Sorry it took so long...had a lot of stuff going on.

Enjoy the chapter.

PreviousChapters Next