• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 2,841 Views, 63 Comments

The Machine - ADRNEL



Adam Gray, 19th century scientist, Time Travels into the future and ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
30
 63
 2,841

PreviousChapters Next
**Chapter XIII~The Academy~

Chapter XIII

The Academy


Day 74

Another cold winter day in Ponyville, at Sugercube corner, Adam, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie sat at a booth for their lunch together and to have fun.

"...and so that's how Pumpkin's first trip to the emergency room went." excitedly finished Pinkie Pie her story.

"Gross." was all Rarity could say to describe the story she just heard.

"It's a good thing those five bits passed through the foal's system without any harm." stated a thankful Twilight.

Suddenly, they heard something crash through the front door, the five of them turn to see their friend, Rainbow Dash flew in and landed in front of their booth. "Good news everypony!" announced an excited Dash.

"What is it?" asked a curious Fluttershy.

"I just got accepted for winter training at the Wonderbolts Academy!" the cyan pegasus happily announced as she gave her acceptance letter to Twilight so she can read it.

Twilight took the letter and began to read.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

You, along with nine others, have been selected to partake at the Wonderbolts Academy winter training program, where for nine days you will receive training from some of the best fliers in all of Equestria. Only one of you will be selected to be an official member of the Wonderbolts, so we expect nothing but the best from you.

Sincerely,
Spitfire, Captain of the Wonderbolts

"Hey, congratulations Dash." stated a happy Twilight, giving Dash her letter back.

"You finally get to live your dream." chimed Adam.

"This is awesome news!" exclaimed an excited Pinkie. "We should have a party!"

"Sorry Pinkie," began Dash. "but I have to leave for the Academy in a few hours."

"Where's that?" asked a curious Adam.

"About several miles south of here, on top of a high plateau, or at least that's what the letter says." explained Dash. Suddenly, Dash got an idea and a grin formed on her face. "Hey, Adam, how would like to come along with me to witness just how awesome and cool the Wonderbolts are?"

The human was in shock. "I don't-"

"You don't need a cloudwalking spell there." interrupted the cyan pegasus. "You can fly on my back to get there."

"I still don't know..." continued a doubtful Adam.


"I can't believe Twilight convinced me to go." stated Adam, as he held on for dear life on Dash's back as they flew over the clouds.

"Oh, calm down!" exclaimed a smug Dash. "Not only do you get to see some very awesome fliers, but we also get to know each other better, we hardly talk you know." The pegasus then took the opportunity to ask the human a question. "So...how are things between you and Fluttershy going?"

"We've decided to be friends...for now." explained the human. "Taking things really slow."

"That's good, Fluttershy needs a special somepony in her life." mused Dash. "I'm glad it was you."

"Really?" stated a surprised Adam.

"Yeah...because knowing you, you'll never take advantage of her." the pegasus explained. "But I swear, if I hear that you made Fluttershy cry, and they're not tears of joy, I'll beat you to a pulp, got it?" she stated in a serious tone.

"Loud and clear." confirmed the human.

"Oh look! We're here!" announced Dash. Adam looked down to see what looked like a military base with a long runway, on top of a high plateau, just like Dash described it.

Dash gently landed in the field and Adam disembarked from the pegasus. Dash and Adam then saw eight other pegasi who waited together in the field, five mares, three stallions.

"Hey look!" announced a yellow coated, green maned mare. "It's Dash and the human!"

"Oh cool! Dash is here!" squealed a cross-eyed, gray coated pegasus. She immediately runs up to Dash, much to her surprise.

"Derpy?" asked a shocked Rainbow Dash. "You got accepted too?"

"Yes I did! Isn't it awesome!" gleefully exclaimed Derpy.

Suddenly, the sound of a loud whistle rings as all the pegasi and the human quickly got in a straight line in front of another mare, a yellow mare with an orange mane and dark sunglasses.

"Good afternoon recruits, my name is Spitfire, I have been captain of the Wonderbolts for the last five years, and I'm here to welcome you to the Wonderbolts Academy." the mare announced.

All nine pegasi give a rousing cheer. Spitfire then noticed that there was one pegasus missing.

"Where's Light-"

Spitfire was interrupted by a gust of wind as everyone turned to see as a green, golden maned mare landed in front of them. "Sorry I'm a little late...almost flew into a snowstorm." she smugly announced.

"Well, looks like we're all present and accounted for, and it seems we have a special visitor in our ranks." Spitfire then turned her sights at the human. "Came to see what we pegasi can do?"

Spitfire heard many things that involved the human, he driven away a griffin, to being the one that defeated Trixie, but never actually saw him before.

"Yes ma'am." saluted Adam, as he tried to be polite.

"We'll make sure we put on a great show for you then." she then took out her clipboard and looked over it. "Okay recruits, when I say you're name, please say something to know that you're present and acknowledging."

"Cloud Kicker?" "Here!"
"Cloudchaser?" "Present with my sister!"
"Derpy Hooves?" "Muffins! Uh...I mean here."
"Flitter?" "Here with my sister, ma'am!"
"Joy Stick?" "Present!" in a Trottingham accent.
"Lighting Dust?" "Here!" in a smug tone.
"Rainbow Dash?" "Here!"
"Raindrops?" "Present!"
"Snowflake?" "YEAH!"
"Thunderlane?" "Uh...here, ma'am!"

"Good...all 10 of you are here...so we can begin." Spitfire placed her clipboard on the ground and blew the whistle. "Okay recruits...I want all of you to give me 10 laps around the plateau, running, now move it!" she barked, she blew the whistle again, this caused all the pegasi to quickly start the task they've been given, Adam was left alone. Spitfire turned to the human. "My second-in-command Soarin, will give you the grand tour of this facility and show you to the room you and Dash will be sharing." she announced.

A light-blue pegasus, whom Adam assumed to be Soarin, came walking out and motioned him to follow him inside.


"The Wonderbolts was created over a century ago under the approval of Princess Celestia herself, she wanted a group that could respond to any crisis or disaster that occurred in Equestria first." explained Soarin as he took Adam through the Wonderbolt Hall of Fame.

"So kind of like a militia?" asked Adam.

"You could say that...only we also perform shows when there's no emergency to respond." clarified the stallion.

Adam turned to see a line of twenty-six portraits, one for each Wonderbolt captain, including Spitfire. What surprised Adam the most was the fact that out of the twenty-six captains...only four of them were stallions. "Why are there so many female captains? I always pictured the Wonderbolts as being dominated by males."

"Let's just say that Princess Celestia tends to favor mares when it comes to giving out important positions." explained Soarin, he didn't want to go into much detail about it.

"How odd." the human thought to himself in curiosity.

"Come along sir, I must show you to the mess hall."


An hour later in the mess hall, Adam sat down at a table as he quietly ate his mashed potatoes, until he was quickly surrounded by Dash, Joy Stick, Snowflake and Thunderlane, who sat down at the same table as him.

"So you must be the human I've heard so much about!" nervously stated Thunderlane.

"Yep, the one and only I might add." smugly announced Dash.

"I don't see what the fuss is about," added Snowflake, "you look extremely fragile, how much do you weigh?"

"143 pounds." answered the human.

"Man, we need to put some muscle on those bones!" the super muscular pegasus pounded on the table, "I've brought some protein shakes along, really builds muscle, I'll let you borrow them if you want!"

"I'm perfectly fine with my physique, thank you." the human nervously answered.

"He's right you know," added a new voice, everyone at the table turned around to see Lightning Dust as she stood before them in front of the table, still with a smug smile on her face. "you look like you break easily, especially those hands of yours."

"And...who are you again?" asked Adam, he felt like he's not going to like her very much.

"Lighting Dust, I'm one of the best fliers in Equestria, I can clear the skies in 10 seconds flat." she smugly answered.

Dash just laughed at what she says. "Really? If that's true, then I'm a fillyfooler!" sarcastically spat Dash. "Because if you haven't noticed Miss Dust, I'M one of the best fliers in Equestria and I can clear the skies in 10 SECONDS FLAT!"

"Well, well, well," spat Lighting Dust back. "looks like someone came out of the closet."

"What's that supposed to mean!?" exclaimed a confused Dash.

"Oh nothing...*cough* *cough* bowl licker." the green pegasus stated, feigned ignorance. "I'll see you later at drills today...cave explorer Dash." and with that, she walked off to sit by herself.

"Cave explorer? I'm not a cave explorer!" stated a confused Dash, she did not know what Lightning Dust meant by that comment.


At another table, Cloudchaser and Flitter sat together and quietly talked about the human.

"So," began Cloudchaser. "do you think he has the same parts as a stallion?"

"He looks like a mammal...so I assume he does." answered Flitter. Both sisters just giggle and what they said.

"It is a shame he's wearing clothes...how can we compare him to the other stallions around here if we can't he his parts?" mused Cloudchaser.

"Let's wait until he showers." stated Flitter.

"I love that idea sis."


Later, all 10 pegasi, who wore their Wonderbolt flight suits, plus the human, gathered outside to see Spitfire who waited for them.

"Okay recruits, this obstacle course that you see above me will test your speed and agility, all of you are going to be doing this course over and over again until ALL TEN of you can complete it in less than three minutes." announced the captain.

"What was the course record?" asked Dash.

"45 seconds set by Rapidfire." stated Spitfire. "My husband."

"You heard that 'gate crasher' Dash? 45 seconds." spat Lightning Dust.

"Look here missy! I don't know what these terms me, but all I know is that they're insulting!" spat back Dash, she genuinely didn't know what Lightning Dust meant by 'gate crasher'. "So watch out, because I'm about to wipe that smug look off that face of yours using nothing but my awesomeness!"

"Whatever you say 'temple worshiper'." was all Lightning said.

Soon, all 10 of them began their repeated attempts at the obstacle course, Adam on the ground used his pocket watch to track each of their times.

Rainbow Dash managed to post faster times then Lightning Dust and the rest of the recruits, but began to slow down significantly after she made the amateur mistake of going all out instead of saving her energy, eventually Lightning managed to match, and then eventually, surpassed Dash's time. Much to the cyan pegasus' disappointment and annoyance.

"Congratulations Miss Dust, 48 seconds." Spitfire was impressed as she double-checked the time with Adam's watch.

"Thanks, I am one of the best fliers in Equestria." smugly stated Lighting Dust.

"Keep this up and you might end up becoming captain someday."

Dash was in complete shock by the Wonderbolt captain's statement.

"I look forward to it." was all Lighting said before she trotted away. Just for fun she seductively brushed her tail against Thunderlane's cheek before she giggled and went back to her barracks.


"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" yelled an angry Dash at Adam, while she trashed her side of the room. "WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS! WHO IS SHE! WHO IS SHE!"

"Dash...you need to calm down." chimed Adam, as he tried to calm her down.

"CALM DOWN! MY FRIENDS ARE EXPECTING ME TO BE THE BEST FLIER IN EQUESTRIA! I CAN'T COME BACK TO PONYVILLE A FAILURE!"

"I'm sure your friends will-"

"No Adam! They'll never understand, because nopony wants to be friends with a looser who flunked out of the Wonderbolts Academy like me!" exclaimed a crazed Dash.

Adam finally placed the pieces together, and realized why she always acted so confidant and brash. "Are you happy with yourself?" bluntly stated the human.

"What? Of course I am." the question seemed to have caught Dash off guard.

Adam could tell that she was lying. "Dash!"

"All right! All right! I'm not happy with myself okay!" admitted Dash. "Look at me! My mane is garish, I act like a tomboy and I don't have that 'bounce' in my rump that all the stallions want! How can ponies like someone like that? How can a pony like a rainbow maned pegasus who had to resort to being friends with benefits with her best friend's brother in order to fulfill her needs find love!" continued the pegasus, she looked sadder by the second. "And now I hear that my closest friend, who is a virgin, found her special somepony before I did, how pathetic is that!?"

Adam walked up to Dash and wrapped his arms around her to comfort her. "It's not pathetic Dash, I can tell you with certainty, that you're mane is NOT garish, it's unique, the fact that you're a tomboy makes you unique, and those stallions who said they wanted that 'bounce' in your rump were just a bunch of shallow jerks." he explained. "You have to remember, the reason you have friends right now is not because of the awesome things you do...it's because they love you for who you are!"

"Y-you really think so?" asked Dash, as she looked for confirmation.

Adam just smiled and nodded in agreement. Dash immediately wrapped the human into a hug. "You're right! Tomorrow, I'm going to prove to Lightning Dust and all those stallions who blew me off, that I am THE! GREATEST! PONY! EVER!" she then immediately and forcibly kissed the human on the lips, she then pinned him to the floor with her forelegs, and continued to kiss him. Adam quickly broke the kiss.

"DASH! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" exclaimed the human in shock.

"Proving those stallions wrong!" Dash stated, determined.

"But what if Fluttershy finds out?"

"She doesn't have to know."

"DASH!"

"Okay, okay, sorry," Dash then let Adam go. "I kind of got carried away from what you said to me." Dash blushed from embarrassment. "Sorry."

"Apology accepted, but only if we pretend that never happened." stated Adam, as he got off the floor.

"Agreed!"


A few hours later after that awkwardness with Rainbow Dash, Adam was in shower as he washed himself. Although he had to bend down due to the fact he was far too tall compared to the other ponies.

As he washed, he could have sworn to have heard some childish giggling come from the adjacent locker room. "Hello?" he leaned in to the locker room but found the place empty. Adam just looked around suspiciously one last time before he resumed his shower.

Little did Adam knew, but Cloudchaser and Flitter where on either side of the shower entrance way and saw the human wash himself the entire time. They both silently sneaked out of the locker room as they tried to contain their giggling.

"Not as impressive as I thought...but I would still try him out at least once." giggled Flitter to her sister.

"I agree...let's get out of here...before we get caught." agreed Cloudchaser as they left.

Adam soon finished his shower and walked out, grabbed a towel, and wrapped it around his waist. He reached the locker he placed his clothes in, only to see an unexpected sight; a wet maned Lighting Dust as she dried herself off.

"Oh hey there...how's Rainbow Pride Dash holding up?" non-chalantly asked the pegasus mare.

"You hurt her feelings for one." bluntly stated the human. He lost all respect for her the moment she offended Dash.

"Oh come now, there are ten of us and only one spot to fill...I'm not here to make friends." said a smug Lighting as she started to preen her feathers.

"That doesn't mean you should be disrespectful."

"Oh Adam...it must be so lonely being the only one of your kind...you can't fly, walk on clouds, perform magic, and you look easily breakable...you're a nopony to me." Dust finished preening and began to walk away. "And tell Dash that me and a friend of mine will spit-roast her if she fails to get the spot. bye." smugly walked away and flashed her rump to the human to purposely get a reaction from him.

All Adam said was "That wench!"


The next day, all ten pegasi and the human assembled once again in the field where Spitfire waited for them.

"Okay, yesterday we tested your agility and speed, now we're going to test how high you can go, you'll each be wearing these altimeters around your necks to indicate the highest altitude you reached," Spitfire gave all 10 pegasi, what appeared to be a necklace with a gauge as a pendant. "remember, the air up in those altitudes is thinner, which makes it more and more harder to fly the higher you go, plus the lack of oxygen will also make it harder." all ten recruits all lined-up and got into takeoff position. "Remember, if you feel that you can't go higher, just stop and come back, you will all leave at the whistle."

Dash and Lightning Dust looked at each other with dirty looks as they put on their flight goggles.

Spitfire blew her whistle, and within seconds, all ten pegasi were in the air and began climbing.

"Godspeed Dash, godspeed." mumbled Adam, as he looked up at the sky.


Four miles up, and all of the recruits are still climbed, until Joy Stick become the first one drop out.

Mile Twelve; Snowflake become the next drop out, Dash and Lightning Dust next to each other, focused.

Sixteen miles up and they were in the stratosphere as Cloud Kicker decided to drop out, followed by Flitter six miles later.


"They're past twenty mile mark, and only six remain." announced Spitfire to Adam, who followed them with a telescope.

"Come on Dash!" mumbled Adam, anxious.


Twenty-six miles

The air got thinner and thinner as the temperatures continued to drop, frost formed all over their bodies. Raindrops was next to drop out.

"This is fun!" announced an unusually happy Derpy to the four other pegasi around her.

Thirty-six miles

The five remaining pegasi have entered the Mesosphere, as Cloudchaser become the next to drop out.

"Ready to give up yet!?" snapped a smug Dash to Lightning Dust.

"I've gone MUCH higher than this before." yelled Lightning Dust back.

"Me too!" chimed Derpy as Thunderlane rolled his eyes in embarrassment.

"Thirty-eight miles...good enough for me." stated the last remaining stallion, before he dropped out.

Derpy managed to hold on for another eight miles before she also dropped out, only Dash and Dust were left.


"This is amazing...no pegasi is dumb enough to enter the Thermosphere!" exclaimed a surprised Spitfire.

"Why is that? What happens in the Thermosphere?" asked Adam.

"The air is super thin, the temperatures are super cold and risk of radiation exposure set in." answered a grim Spitfire.


Fifty-five miles, the sky around grew dark, the temperatures got colder.

"I can go as high as you want flap muncher!" yelled Lightning Dust.

"Well, see you in space!" snapped Dash back.

"You have to remember, the reason you have friends right now is not because of the awesome things you do...it's because they love you for who you are!" Adam's words began to echo in Dash's head. She began to realize what she was doing, she was risking her life just to outdo someone, she can feel the lack of air and cold temperatures take a toll on her body.

"Why am I doing this? Why am I getting so worked up over a smug insignificant mare?" a smile formed on Dash's face as she turned to her competitor. "You know what Miss Dust? You are the better flier...but at least I don't risk my life to prove it and I have friends to support me...so bye!" Dash then went into a nosedive back towards the ground.

Lightning Dust stopped where she was to see Dash leave her behind in the upper atmosphere.

Dash continued to gain speed, she got her body ready to perform her signature move; the sonic rainboom.

"If can't join the Wonderbolts, then I might as well show them what they're going to miss out on!" she mused in her head.


"Look! Dash is coming down!" announced Soarin to Spitfire, Adam and the other recruits.

"What is she doing?" asked a confused Spitfire, while she looked at Dash through her binoculars.

Suddenly, everyone's field of vision was engulfed in rainbow colored light as large boom echoed across the landscape.


The next day at top of the observation tower at the Canterlot Royal Palace, Princess Celestia patiently waited for somepony.

"Where is she?" mumbled the princess, as she grew impatient.

She then heard somepony land behind her, she turned around to see Lightning Dust who bowed before her.

"What took you so long?" asked the princess to the pegasus. The pegasus stood up again.

"Sorry, I encountered some gremlins along the way." explained Lightning Dust.

"Never mind, just tell me what you got on the human." stated Celestia, she got into the business at hoof.

"Only that everypony seems to like him, even the Elements themselves," the pegasus explained. "especially Fluttershy who is in love with him."

"Just as I feared." stated a disappointed Celestia, the Element of Kindness is in love with the human? Blasphemy! "Now remember, this meeting never happened, got it?"

"Yes your highness." saluted Lightning Dust before she flew off towards the horizon, Celestia once again left alone.

"I do not trust you, human, I do not trust you at all Adam Gray, I will not have you corrupt the other five elements too!" growled the princess through her clenched teeth,she got angry. "You have over stayed your welcome here and it is time for you...to...go!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Author's Note:

13 chapters down!
Only 26 to go!
We're 33.33% done!

Chapters 14 thru 26 will be a little bit more arc heavy as we get closer to end.

Chapter 14 coming out next week.
AMA #3 May 3rd.

See you next week!

PreviousChapters Next