• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 4,668 Views, 132 Comments

Bonds Beyond Species - Yasahiro



It is said we fear things that are different. Yet if it applies to every race, does it make sense? Follow the story of a young human and Lyra Heartstrings as they fight against racial stereotypes of other races of the world of Equestria.

  • ...
18
 132
 4,668

Episode Four: Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

Beep

Beep.

Beep.

All I could see was darkness. My jaw felt numb, my ribs were no better. I didn’t know what was happening.

Beep.

I felt a bit lightheaded. I could hear something, but I did not know what it was.

Beep.

My eyelids felt heavy. I could hear myself breathing, I could feel it, as if there was something on my face.

Where am I? Is this hell?

It felt like I was on a soft bed.

That’s odd, you’d think hell would have beds made out of spikes, or spiders, or spiky spiders, spikers...

Beep.

I willed my eyelids to open. I felt powerless, they barely moved. I concentrated on this single task, far harder than anything I could remember doing.

Not counting that time when I decided to play that one game where you have to sneak in a box while at the highest difficulty, if you get spotted, then it’s game over. This was still at the top of my list of hardest things I’ve ever done.

However, after several beeps, I finally mustered up enough strength to open my eyes halfway. I regretted doing it immediately afterwards as the brightness of my surroundings assaulted my eyes.

Even though my vision was blurry, I could still notice the colors. White walls, white ceiling, a green thing laying near me. I tried to take a deep breath. My chest decided to tell me it disagreed with that. I got into a coughing fit, throwing me into more pain. I was briefly aware that I had some sort of mask on my face, probably an oxygen mask. I blinked during the fit and the world became a bit clearer to me. I could barely make out the shapes, but I realized what that green thing near me was, or rather who it was.

Lyra?

It seemed that my coughing told her I was awake as I noticed her body moving a bit. It seemed like she fell asleep next to me. I blinked, she was rubbing her eyes with her hooves, trying to keep herself from falling asleep again. I kept my stare on her and her eyes slowly met mine.

“Kaisei?” She asked me to check if I was awake now. I tried to say something but it was harder than I thought. I blinked, to show her that I was conscious.

I could see her eyes watering, yet a smile was also forming on her face. She hugged me. I wanted to respond in kind and smile.

However, all that I managed to do was grimace as pain shot through me. It seemed that when one’s body is as broken as mine, trying to hug them is a really terrible idea. I responded very eloquently and calmly to this.

“AAAAGH!”

“Kaisei, what’s wrong? Kaisei? KAISEEEEI!”

Beeeeeeep.

-----

Bonds Beyond Species

A My Little Pony: FiM Fanfiction

As presented by Yasahiro

Disclaimer: The following is a non-profit, fan based story. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the property of Hasbro, reimagined by Lauren Faust. Please support the official release.

And now back to regularly scheduled drama.

-----

“Oh my Celestia, I’m terribly sorry, Kaisei! I didn’t expect this to happen! Oh, you must be so mad at me now...”

After the unicorn and griffon doctors managed to save me, Lyra couldn’t stop apologizing to me. I wasn’t mad at her, she just wanted to show that she was worried for me. Though I would like her to refrain from doing this again unless she’s sure I will be fine.

“It’s... fine.” I said to her. Talking in long sentences was still a pain, literally, but at least I could communicate. “Why... unicorn... doctors?”

“Magic is basically a must in the more serious cases and griffons can’t use it. As such, it is much easier for unicorns to be hired as doctors here than in Equestria.”

Until now, I thought Equestria was the name of the planet, not the equine nation, so thanks to this answer, I actually learned something else too. It even made sense to-

Wait, who said that?!

I was unable to move my head so I had to rely heavily on my eyes. There, further in the room. A white and brownish shape. I blinked, I usually had problems with identifying people’s faces, though it probably helped that the colors of other sentient beings varied more here than on Earth, and considering how I learned who she was the first time...

“Gilda?”

She walked closer to me, placing her claws on the railing to support herself.

“Do you know another griffon as awesome as me?”

“As I.” I responded immediately, I just could not forget correct grammar ever since that one particular thing was pointed out to me.

“What?”

“Not ‘as me’ but ‘as I’”

She glared at me for a while before shrugging.

“It doesn’t matter.”

It does matter!

I didn’t show my frustration on my face and just focused on breathing now. I had few questions. My memory seemed fuzzy at the moment.

“What happened?” I asked my companion and the female griffon.

Gilda was the one who responded “When we got to the top of the blimp, you and Stump were unconscious. Also on fire. Fortunately, the blimps are made from enchanted cloth or it would have caught on fire too. The other pirates decided to take back Stump’s body, even though nogriffon was sure if he was still alive. At that point, I left their group and helped Lyra bring you back to the deck. Some of them had enough first aid knowledge to try to keep you alive, a few of them even being unicorns.” She took a look at me as I laid in the bed, “But you look like a pile of manure now.”

Lyra jabbed her in the ribs at that remark, though that didn’t stop Gilda from chuckling a bit. I was too busy with focusing on what she told me.

I remembered the fight. I remember the fear I felt when I fought Stump. I remembered how I tried to finish him off.

I basically did a Chidori on him, and it was awesome.

However, my thoughts were interrupted as I felt Lyra’s concerned stare on me. I basically promised her I wouldn’t do anything stupid. Now, opinions might differ on whether it was stupid or awesome, but I was sure she would be mad.

“You’re not... angry?”

Lyra blinked, seeming surprised at this question. She walked closer to me and gently put her hoof on my hand.

“I am angry. I am furious that you did something so stupidly dangerous after promising to me that you wouldn’t do anything like that! In fact, if you weren’t in the hospital right now, I would’ve put you here for that.” She said it in an odd, monotone voice, her left eyelid twitching.

Oh... crap.

“But you did save the passengers and got rid of the pirates, so I guess I’ll let it go. Still, we will have to stay in Silvercrest until you are released from the hospital.”

I noticed Gilda started waving to us. She was slowly nearing the exit.

“Well, it was fun and I must thank you for helping me, but I think I should go.”

Lyra left my side and ran after Gilda.

“You can’t! We were searching for you!”

She stopped mid-step and turned around. Her eyes showed surprise and a bit of fear. I could only guess that she was thinking that there was a reward for her when she was a pirate. That was understandable.

“Why?”

Lyra inhaled. “Rainbow Dash wanted us to find you and say that she’s sorry for the way things ended with you two. If you come with us to Ponyville, I’m sure you two can restore your friendship.”

Gilda opened her beak to say something, but she closed it as she started thinking about what she just heard.

“Really?”

Lyra nodded, “Really.”

Gilda visibly relaxed at this as she put her left claw on Lyra’s back. She smiled.

“Thank you.” A few seconds after saying this she let go of Lyra and stopped smiling. “But if anygriffon ever asks you what I just said, I said ‘whatever’”

Lyra chuckled at this response. I also tried to, but it hurt. That drew Lyra’s attention.

“You should rest now. From the looks of it, you can’t even move a finger without being in pain so there’s not much you could do.” She tapped her chin with her hoof. “Me and Gilda...”



She glared at me. “Me and Gilda are going to buy more supplies. Please don’t strain yourself now.”

I tried to nod. It hurt.

“Like that, yeah. Take care!” At this, Lyra walked out with Gilda. I was alone in the hospital room, with my thoughts.

They didn’t even give me my phone.

I suppose I could try that meditation. Time to clear my mind. Not think about anything... Wait, I’m thinking. I’m thinking again. Why is this so hard?!

As I laid on the bed, my body covered in bandages, I realized something. This way, I kind of looked like Sheik... If Sheik had green eyes and black hair. I was basically the essence of radness.

I heard my door being opened. A giant female griffon nurse in a green uniform walked in. She seemed to be nearly as buffed up as Stump.

“Oh, you’re awake now. Time to change the bandages” She said in a deep voice.

My eyes widened.

Nope! Nope! No-

-----

“So, what do you know about Kaisei?”

Lyra turned towards Gilda as they walked through the city. It felt as if this question came out of nowhere.

“A bit, why do you ask?”

She shrugged.

“If I’ll be travelling with you, I better know if he’s not going to stab me in the back in my sleep. Figuratively and literally”

Lyra huffed, “Kaisei is not like that!”

“Then tell me what he is like.”

Lyra stopped and closed her eyes for a second. She tried to remember everything Kaisei told her.

“Kaisei told me that, as a human, he was a bit slim. Completely not used to tiring activities. However, that changed when he started practicing something he called martial arts. Apparently, that’s an art of fighting. I guess that’s why he lasted as long as he did in the fights he was in.”

She started walking once more, the street leading to this city’s shopping district.

“When we were travelling, he was worried about every single cut or bruise. He was saying that he would get an infection or that it’s probably something serious. He was freaking out about any little thing. However, when he is serious, he doesn’t care. If he falls, he gets back up and tries again. Like when fighting against Stump, his determination is what allows him to keep going.” She thought for a moment, “Even though he does sometimes acts like an idiot, but he can be such a sweet idiot too.”

She sighed.

“Apparently in his world, they have these things called video games, he said that they were huge influence on him. They don’t have magic in his world so they rely more on technology. From what I’ve seen from the few devices that were brought with him, their technology is far more advanced than ours. He said he was learning to be a ‘programmer’. Now that I think about it, I should ask him more about it.”

She paused for a little while. “He believes that there is potential in everyone. That everyone can achieve great things if they strive hard enough. Kaisei told me that he adopted this philosophy from something he watched once. Something about piercing through the heavens and breaking our limits. It was a bit weird, but he did say it in an inspiring way.” The moment she stopped talking was the moment they finally arrived at the shopping district, “I guess that’s all.”

“You’ve found one strange human.”

“Yes.” Lyra answered, not even having to think about her response.

As they started walking towards the closest merchant, Gilda grinned, “Now watch and learn how you haggle in the Griffon Kingdom.”

-----

“How did you get them to drop their prices so low?”

Gilda smirked, “Girl, I lived here once. I have my ways.”

Thanks to Gilda, Lyra managed to pay much less than she expected. That left her more than enough bits to buy a gift for one certain person.

“Gilda, are there any bookstores around here?”

“Yeah, there’s one. I visited it when I was younger. I was a big fan of the Daring Do series. Nogriffon except the shopkeeper ever learned about this.” She smiled, remembering those moments from her childhood. “You want to go there?” She took a look at Lyra to see her nod and grinned. “Then let’s go. Let’s see if it’s still here then we might find some good stuff.”

Gilda once more led the way, knowing far more about the city than Lyra hoped to learn. The trek was quite short and they soon arrived at the store. A bell rung when the door was opened. An elderly griffon turned around to greet them. He was wearing a pair of glasses on his nose and had a long grey beard. His headfeathers were yellow though, probably when he was younger, they could have been gold in the sunlight.

“Welcome to the Goldfeather Imaginarium, where you can find anything your mind is looking for.”

Gilda smiled warmly at the old griffon. “You didn’t change at all, Goldfeather.”

The griffon in question fixed up his glasses on his nose and squinted through them at Gilda, before also breaking into a smile. “Ah, if it isn’t the young Gilda. It feels as if it was yesterday when you came into my store, reading Daring Do and the Sapphire Stone. What brings you and your pony companion here?”

Gilda gestured with her claws towards said pony. “Lyra wanted to take a look at your store.”

Lyra nodded. “Yes. I wanted to ask you if perhaps you had any books about magic?”

He stroked his beard in thought as he closed his eyes, “Ah, magic books are quite rare. Though, I believe I have a few. What topic exactly are you interested in?”

Lyra grinned, “Runes.”

------

After that rough and painful experience, where the surely-not-completely-female nurse changed my bandages, I decided to think about the future of our group.

Now we’ve got a griffon in our group. She can fly and is basically the tank of our group. Would it be possible to ride a griffon or would she get offended by this? I guess ponies would, but they are a different species. I don’t want to seem racist... Or would that be speciesist? Is that even a word?

I thought back to my fight with Stump.

The runes. The possibilities they hold if I learn how to use them. I could learn Japanese, I’m sure this will work. It can’t be any harder. Still, learning how to use magic. I dreamed about this, but never thought it will be possible. If it turns out I can shoot magic blasts with them, I am going to start shouting special attack names. Every time you shout name of your attack, you make it more powerful. At least that’s how it works in animes... I need to learn more about the rules of magic.

I was clearly thinking about serious matters. Yup, that’s what I was doing. Serious stuff.

What if I’ll be able to transform? Or maybe even transform twice! I will be all like ‘This isn’t even my final form’. That would be so awesome!

Indeed, I was thinking about great things, since I was clearly the brains of our group. I totally wasn’t just bored out of my mind from being stuck in a hospital room and the pain clearly was not affecting my ability to think

Or maybe it was.

My sanity was saved by Lyra’s arrival. Her saddlebags looked full. She sent me a smile.

“How are you feeling now, Kaisei?”

I decided to be a cool guy. I was not going to complain about the situation.

“Bored.”

Lyra nodded.

“That’s what it usually feels like being stuck in the hospital. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to move your fingers soon. Possibly.” It sounded like Gilda’s humor was starting to rub off on her. It was only two or three hours.

I was worried what it would be like at the end of the week. I blinked when Lyra’s horn started glowing and her saddlebags opened. An old looking book floated out and stopped just in front of my face. By my calculation and memory of what the thickness of one thousand page books looked like, it seemed to be around five hundred. Maybe less if paper was thicker.

“When we were out, we found this book I thought you might like. It explains the workings of magic in Equestria and also talks about runes, how to use them and such. We were really lucky this time.”

I felt a smile forming on my lips as I tried to take the book. Keyword here being ‘tried’. I still couldn’t move my arms and the book was right in front of my face. I could see the various markings that served as a decoration of the cover, along with the title. ‘Grimoire of Thaumaturgic Energies and Symbols’. It stayed out of my reach, taunting me. I moved my eyes towards Lyra only to notice the smile on her face.

“What’s wrong, Kaisei? Oh, I forgot. You put yourself into a stupidly dangerous situation and you can’t move now. I guess the book will wait until you feel a bit better.”

She started grinning, Gilda did the same. Allow me to repeat what I said once.

Don’t make Lyra angry. Ever.

I did the only reasonable thing in this situation. I spoke in a completely calm manner.

“FUUUUUUUU-”

Author's Note:

Here it is folks, Fourth Episode of Bonds Beyond Species.

I apologize for it being posted a bit later than usually. And for it being shorter. I had a busy week and my plans got suddenly changed by something that happened. I will try to make it up for you. With this hilarious little chapter and a tiny bit of information about Kaisei.

Tell me in the comments if you'd like me to keep updating on Sundays or it doesn't matter to you.

Also, remember to like the story. It moves me up in Search Results and feeds the poor foals in Saddle Arabia!