• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,760 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,760

Chapter 7: Weekend at Luna's Part 2

Chapter 7: Weekend at Luna’s Part 2

Jen was still sitting on the floor of Luna’s bedchambers with Echo, nervously waiting for the princess to return from the ‘little filly’s room’. Echo once again was working hard to restrain laughter, while the poor human girl just chewed her lip nervously. Finally the lunar diarch stepped from the bathroom with as much grace as she could muster striding passed the girls to recline on her bed.

“It would seem I somehow missed the entirety of Friday evening. Could you explain what happened Jennifer?”

“Uhh…w…well I guess my magic put you into…alicorn stasis?” She trailed off lamely.

Luna of course bobbed her head in a gentle nod as if this were a common occurrence. “Ah, of course. Well no harm done as you can see. Though I AM rather tired. I presume you both brought me to my chambers immediately?”

“I…uh…that is…Echo said I’d be thrown in the dungeon so I did a ventriloquism spell and pretended to be you all night! But…but nothing really bad happened!” Jennifer finally paused to take a breath.

The princess looked to the night pony cadet sitting beside the rapidly panicking human. “Is this all true.”

The bat winged filly narrowed her eyes almost imperceptibly, surprising her liege. “Yes.” Was all she said, rather curtly.
Eyes still focused on Echo, Luna addressed Jennifer. “Well no harm was done then. I believe it best if we all try and get some rest. You may retire to your chambers Jennifer, while I speak with Echo for a few moments. This evening we can begin some of the lessons I promised.”

Sensing the tension in the room Jen stood. “Oh uh…okay…and I’m really sorry again Princess. I can’t say it enough. I…I’ll see you later Echo?”

Finally breaking the staring match with Luna, Echo turned to smile at Jen. “Yup! You’re stuck with me all weekend. Maybe I’ll hang around your room and we can do a sleepover.”

Slowly the girl was relaxing, and she managed a smile. “That’d be cool. Uh…sleep well Luna.” Quickly she stepped out and shut the doors behind her. Then beat a hasty retreat down the tower stairs and toward the guest chambers Echo had pointed out to her yesterday.

-Echo-

Echo kept an ear trained toward the door, turning to face Luna once she was sure Jennifer was long gone. “I won’t lie to her anymore m’lady. She’s a good filly…the first outside of my own clan to treat me like anypony else. To treat me like a friend. I’m not going to repay that kindness with lies.”

“Mind your tone cadet…and recall to whom you are speaking.”

Her ears flattened against her head, but the young filly didn’t back down. “I thought I knew who I was speaking to, but if this is how you treat those you claim to care about I…don’t know anymore.” She could see the shock in her lady’s eyes…and for once she didn’t care what Princess Luna was thinking or feeling. “I’m going to join my friend now…she’s still upset and I think it would be best to have some company. And…” She took a deep breath. “…and if you don’t tell her the truth I’ll resign my position this evening when you wake.” Neither bowing nor waiting for permission, the young cadet turned and left the chambers.

With a heavy sigh the lunar princess lay back in her bed. “…Tia would know how to handle this better…but is what she did to our last human visitor any kinder? Should I simply lock the girl in a tower until I am sure she is ready to be among our ponies…?”

-Jennifer-

She needed to get directions from a pair of drowsy looking day guard just starting their shift, but everypony in the palace obviously recognized her on sight and easily directed her. Gently pushing open the sizeable doors her breath was stolen at the sight of the room. It was probably big enough to fit the entirety of the Apple family farmhouse inside.

With a little grin she tugged her shoes off and let her toes sink into the absurdly plush carpet. “Jeez it’s like walking on a cloud…” Then her grin widened. “Of course pretty soon I’ll actually know if that’s true or not…if Pinkie ever lets me fly.”
Still her mood was improving again and she danced across the carpet, flinging herself backwards onto the colossal bed. She laughed again and rolled to the center. “Who needs a bed this big?!”

She shot upright as a gentle knock came from the door. “Er…come in?”

It was only Echo, the young filly entering and gently closing the door behind her. “You look like you’re feeling better.”
Jen gave a shrug. “I am…I mean Luna forgave me so nothing bad came of it right?”

The night pony simply grunted at that. “Could you shut the curtains? The sun’s almost up and it gives me the worst migraines.”

“Oh uh…sure!” Jen rolled off the bed and tugged the heavy curtain over the window. “Is that like a bat pony thing or just a you thing?”

The cadet was working her way out of her armor. “All my kind are sensitive to sunlight. We won’t burst into flame or anything, but it’s uncomfortable.” She suddenly gave a tremendous yawn.

“Jeez you’re really wiped huh?”

Echo eyed her in amazement. “Oh right…I forgot you magic yourself awake all day.”

Suddenly Jen’s smile turned playful. “…let’s go out.”

“Out? I just said I got bad headaches…plus I doubt the Princess would want you wandering around Canterlot unsupervised. And I really need to-“ Jennifer cut her off, tapping her nose with a finger while her other hand held the jewel around her neck. Suddenly the sleep fled Echo’s face and she shivered all over. “Oooo WHOA. That is…better than coffee for sure. Ok I’m awake but I still don’t think the big human should be…”

Jen interrupted again by gripping her unicorn charm and settling to the floor on her hooves.

“Hmph. Well…I still have my headaches.”

Using her teeth Jen removed the charm bracelet and tossed it at Echo’s hooves. “Well…then be a pegasus.”

Slowly the filly slid the bracelet up around her hoof. Delicately she placed a hoof against the pegasus charm. The flash of magic flared…and when it faded the night pony looked decidedly less intimidating. She kept her slate grey coat and ebon mane. But her wings were delicately feathered, and her eyes while still yellow looked the same as any ordinary pony.
Wonderingly she approached the mirror, staring at herself for a few moments, then slowly lifting and flexing the feathered wings. “Personally I think you look cooler normal…but this way we can go see the city and nopony’s gonna be gawking at us right?”

Jen was surprised to see Echo’s eyes a little watery when she looked back, but she blinked the happy tears away. “I can go out with the regular ponies! No one will be scared or run!”

The unicorn filly laughed. “Right. So…race ya!”

Pegasus yelped as unicorn dashed from the room, it was a run albeit a clumsy one. She could walk pretty well on all fours but running was another matter. Echo was similarly hampered as she seemed to have a little trouble with her new wings, the feathered appendages creating a lot of drag and slowing her down. Several bewildered guards merely watched as the teenage fillies barreled passed. A few made halfhearted attempts to rein them in...but they weren’t really hurting anything and seemed to be making their way out on their own.

Echo got her wings under control quicker than Jennifer got galloping down, and was the first from the castle by a wide margin. Still as Jen hurried to catch up her smile was as wide as the other filly’s. “So! Where should we go?”

It took her a moment to realize Echo wasn’t paying attention to her. The pegasus was sitting facing the rising sun, a look of wonder on her face at the beautiful splash of color across the sky. Deciding not to interrupt Jennifer sat on the cobblestone road beside her friend, waiting until she got her fill of the sunrise.

Echo didn’t speak until the sun was high enough that watching it was stinging her eyes. “No matter what else happens today…THAT makes this the best day of my life.”

Climbing to her hooves Jen set out along the road toward town. “Well then we better do a bunch of other cool stuff to make it REALLY memorable.”

“Holy…are you a blank-flank?!” Echo shouted a bit loud enough to draw the eye of several passing, and now chuckling ponies.

The girl turned unicorn’s cheeks began to burn. “Yes. I’m not normally a pony remember? I haven’t found my special talent yet.” Jen glanced at Echo’s flank, now visible without her armor. She had a cutie mark of three curving lines, each slightly larger than the last. “…what the heck is yours supposed to be anyway?”

Echo puffed her chest up with pride. “Every bat-pony can use a form of echolocation. Where we’re from there’s little to no light, so we got used to seeing with it. I can do all sorts of stuff with mine most can’t.”

“Oh…well that IS pretty cool I guess.” Attention drawn to her markless backside now Jennifer couldn’t keep her mind off it. She was starting to feel more self-conscious every time attention was brought to her lack of a cutie mark.

Noticing her friends discomfort Echo laid a comforting hoof across her shoulders. “Hey don’t sweat it. It’ll come in time. Nothing wrong with being a blank.”

‘Yeah except it seems like there is.’ The unhappy filly thought to herself. “Well whatever…let’s go find something to do. Where do the non-rich and stuck up ponies hang out in this town?”

Her question caused Echo to seriously think. Just about everypony they passed had their noses angled almost at a ninety degree angle in the air. “Well we could go down to the art district. Most of those ponies are still pretty wealthy but they’re cool and kinda artsy.”

“Ooo yeah! I love to draw! Seeing some pony art would be really cool!” Jennifer’s enthusiasm was infectious, and soon both fillies were trotting briskly through the streets.

“So Canterlot is split into all sorts of different districts. Government is where we’re leaving. The big noble houses and castle are there. The art district houses like, every kind of artist from painters to musicians. The crafts district is down thattaway, and further along is the markets. Ponies from all walks of life set up open air stalls there to sell their wares. It could be something fun to do tomorrow.”

“Sounds good to me!” Echo was leading them along a golden fence. The other side of which looked like some kind of cross between a hippie commune and open-air art jam. Ponies were reciting poetry on the streets. Artists sat with sketch books across their legs and easels set before them painting with mouths or magic. Then there was the music. All kinda of instruments could be heard each making their own unique sounds and melodies, yet somehow all blending together to form a beautiful symphony of sound.

Jennifer’s eyes were watering from the sheer joy the district was bringing out in her. It’d been awhile since she sat down to draw something, and she hadn’t noticed how much she missed working on her art until now. The pair crossed the golden gates into the district proper. “This…this is amazing Echo!”

Her friend chuckled good naturedly. “Well wanna start looking around?”

With an eager nod the pair was off again, this time Jen taking the lead. Echo seemed content simply to be out and mingling with other ponies. Everything was so random and chaotic here, the stuff oppressive atmosphere of the government district all but forgotten. They even seemed more relaxed than Ponyville. The unicorn filly was content just to wander aimlessly. Pausing to listen to a musician for a few moments, then she was off to watch a painter at work.

Angling across the verdant green park that dominated the center of the district, she gasped softly when she spied a familiar white and teal mane. Now heading right for the lyre playing pony, she slowed again as the gentle music rose up around the unicorn playing. Lyra was sitting upright of course, lyre held gently in her forelegs as she plucked the strings with her magic. The older unicorn’s eyes were closed as she let her music flow. A sizeable crowd had gathered around, and most were tossing bits into her open case on the ground.

Echo leaned in whispering in Jen’s ear. “She’s good…but what’s with the way she’s sitting? Wait is that...it couldn't be!”

The other filly smirked back at her friend. “It’s a LONG story…I’ll tell you later.”

Eventually Lyra’s song ended and she blinked her eyes open. “Thank you everypony! I’m glad you enjoyed. It’s a work in progress but the final piece should ready for its big debut at Fancy Pants’ upcoming soiree.”

She almost didn’t seem like the same pony Jen had befriended in Ponyville. She seemed a lot less…manic and high strung. More centered and relaxed now. When the crowd had thinned enough for her to approach she waved excitedly…causing herself to tip forward and slide in the grass coming to a stop at Lyra’s hooves. “Hey Lyra!”

With a laugh Lyra helped Jen back to her hooves. “Fancy seeing you here! What brings you to the good old art district?”
Jen shrugged. “Echo was showing me around Canterlot while Luna snoozes the day away. She suggested we should come here first.”

Lyra looked from Jen to her friend. “And this is Echo I presume? Nice t’meetcha. I’m-“

“Lyra Heartstrings! Oh I know who you are I have a copy of Plucking Your Heartstrings!” Echo seemed on the verge of exploding in fangirlishness.

Jen raised an eyebrow in amusement. “Plucking Your Heartstrings? Really?”

The other unicorn gave a snort. “Hey Vinyl talked me into recording some of my songs on record. She didn’t mention she planned to sell it…and she sure didn’t run the title by me.” She gave Echo a little smile though. “It’s always nice to meet a fan though; I’d sign the cover for you if you had it here.”

Echo’s eyes widened. “I…I’ll go get it! You’ll be ok here right Jen? Right!” She galloped for the fence and spread her wings, awkwardly getting off the ground and into the air…making a beeline for the castle.

Lyra watched her go with a laugh. “Pretty clumsy flier for a filly her age.”

The younger unicorn shrugged. “She’s not used to feathered wings I think. She’s one of Luna’s guards…a bat-pony I guess?”

“Er…r…really? One of those creepy night guards of hers?”

Now Jen’s smile turned to a frown. “She’s not creepy Lyra. In fact for someone with a reputation for being kind of a creepy spaz in Ponyville that’s surprisingly close minded.”

Lyra’s ears splayed flat against her head. “Oh jeez you’re right…that wasn’t cool of me at all. She seems like a really nice filly even if she’s uh…disguised. Your bracelet I’m guessing?”

The disguised girl nodded but her frown didn’t relent. “She doesn’t like having everypony stare at or avoid her…so I thought it would be a good way for her to get out into the city without being harassed. I didn’t think it was that big a problem.”
Her words only seemed to make Lyra more miserable, who was now lying flat on the ground groaning. “Aaaaagh I’m a horrible pony!”

Rolling her eyes at the melodrama Jen lay next to her friend. “You’re not a horrible pony. Just an ignorant one.” She finished with a smirk.

Lyra gave an indignant snort and glared up at Jennifer, but the frown eased a bit seeing her smile. “No…you’re right. I shouldn’t judge a book by a cover. A friend of yours is a friend of mine!” She stood again. “So you gonna set up and so some drawing of your own?”

In response Jen just raised her forelegs displaying her hooves. “Oh right you dunno how to draw with your mouth or magic yet huh?”

“Nope. Though I’m kinda tempted to go human and draw anyway…all this art is getting me in the mood.”

Lyra shrugged. “So do it when Echo gets back. The bracelet’ll let her keep her feathers until she uses the charm to switch back.”

The younger unicorn’s eyes widened. “What?! I’ll be naked!”

Lyra’s eyebrow rose. “You’re naked now Jennifer.”

“W…well…”

“You know you’re gonna have to get over this right? Just because you have fur doesn’t mean I can’t see your business. You’re naked.”

The filly pursed her lips and crossed her hind legs a little tighter, cheeks reddening up. Slowly she looked around the park…REALLY looked hard at the ponies. With the exception of a beret or artist’s smock here and there everypony WAS naked. “…well I don’t have a book. Or pencils!”

Now it was Lyra’s turn to smirk. “Well good thing you know somepony in the city who’s happy to buy her friend some art supplies! You sit tight and I’ll be right back!”

“Agh what?! Wait no!” But it was too late; Lyra was already gone on her way to one of the many supply dealers. With a huff Jen flopped back down and resumed her pony watching. Her ears perked up as she picked up a familiar unicorn stallion plodding through the park, his head low and hoof steps heavy. Brow furrowed in concern she approached him. “Uh…Fancy Pants right?”

“Hm?” The stallion, and it was indeed Fancy Pants raised his head. His normally perfectly styled mane was tangled and mussed; even his moustache was slightly skewed. The fine suit jacket looked rumpled, like he’d slept in it. “I say have we met?” He seized his monocle in his brilliantly golden aura of magic and drew it closer to Jen for a clearer look.

“O…oh! Sorry…it’s me, Jennifer the human?”

Recognition lit his face. “Oh! Well I say you make a rather lovely filly my dear. I do hope you’ll forgive my rough and tumble appearance. It’s been something of a long day. Several of them in fact.” He coughed gently. “Listen to me prattle on about my problems; I’m sure you have more important things to be doing today.”

The filly gave him a little shrug. “Not really! Lay it on me.” She finished with a grin.

“Hm. I suppose I could use a friendly ear…and one not looking to get bits or business tips out of the deal.” With a grunt he just flopped onto his belly in the grass. “You recall the mare with me when we first met? Fleur?”

Jen did, if only VAGUELY. “She was…really skinny and pink?”

The dapper stallion chuckled. “That would be her, yes. Well we had been a couple for a little over a year and I proposed just the other day.”

“I’m guessing by your less than cheery attitude she said no.”

“Quite right. Evidently she viewed our relationship as a political stepping stone.” Another heavy sigh came from him, and Jen noticed the dark circles under his eyes.

“Oh…I’m really sorry Fancy. That just shouldn’t happen to such a nice guy.”

“You’re kind to say so my dear. And thank you for listening. When one is surrounded by courtiers and servants all day it’s difficult to find somepony who genuinely cares for one’s feelings beyond what gains can be acquired from doing so.”
The filly was frowning now. “Jeez…it’s not like that in Ponyville at all. You know if you got nothing goin on you could hang out with me and my friends. Echo flew off to get a record for Lyra to sign…and Lyra ran off to blackmail me into drawing nude in the middle of the park but they’ll both be back soon.”

She smiled seeing him brighten a little at the prospect. “You know...I think that’s just what I need. A relaxing afternoon among some friendly ponies. And a group of lovely fillies at that.” He winked causing the filly to giggle. “Lyra you said? Not Lyra Heartstrings?”

“Mmhm! She’s the first friend I made in Ponyville in fact. I mean that I didn’t know before coming here.”

The mare in question was trotting toward the pair, a little bag held in her magical aura. “Hey Jen I got the goods! Oh! Fancy Pants! I didn’t know you two knew each other.”

“A passing acquaintance, but I hope that changes in the near future. She’s a lovely young filly. And it’s always a pleasure to see you of course Ms. Heartstrings. I can’t tell you how glad I was you accepted my invitation.”
Now Jen was looking from stallion to mare. “Invitation?”

Lyra set the bag down in front of the filly, who went about plucking the objects out with her teeth. “Yeah Fancy Pants invited me to play at his…what was it? Winter’s Solstice Soiree?”

“Yes that’s the one! You know Jennifer; I’d be delighted if you could make it.”

Lifting her head from the bag Jen blinked a moment. “Oh! I can’t. Ponyville’s having the Winter’s Moon Festival on the solstice.”

Both adult unicorns regarded the filly curiously. “The what?”

Jennifer gave a strangled little erk as she glanced sideways at Fancy Pants. “…w…well…it’s a holiday. Well…not really a HOLIDAY YET. One we hope to start. A sort of opposite to the Summer Sun Celebration…in Luna’s honor you know?”
“Well I say that’s a good deal better than any silly society party I’ll be hosting. What an absolutely smashing idea! What did the Princess think of this?”

Lyra was frowning a little. “And how come nopony told me?”

“Well…we’re trying to keep it a secret from Luna. We want to surprise her. And it was just decided at the town meeting the other day…you were here in Canterlot already weren’t you Lyra?”

The musician’s frown vanished. “O…oh right! Ehe he…”

“Now I wish I hadn’t invited so many ponies to my own event…I’d dearly like to be there to see her face when the surprise is sprung. Between you and I, our princess of the night can be a bit melancholy at times I fear.”

Jen shrugged. “So cancel your party. It’s like two weeks away right? Sides you were just saying you don’t have any real friends among the noble ponies yeah?”

The stallion settled in the grass before the girls. “You know…I just may do that. I did intend to visit Ponyville after Miss Rarity made it sound so appealing. Fleur would have none of it though…”

Jen and Lyra shared a smirk. “You know Rarity talks about YOU all the time.”

This seemed to grab his attention. “I ah…she does?”

Jen nodded eagerly. “Oh yes. It’s always ‘Oh Fancy Pants was such a gentleman! He made me feel so welcome! And so handsome too.’” The filly even did a decent job imitating the fashionista’s voice.

A flustered Fancy Pants cleared his throat several times. “W…well yes I did enjoy her company. She is a delightful mare after all…” He trailed off looking thoughtful.

Before the girls could begin giggling TOO hard, Echo made her less than graceful return, crashing to the ground with her precious album clenched tightly in her teeth. “Stupid feathers! How do they land with these things?!”

Jen glanced down at the cover…a picture of Lyra holding her lyre with a serene look on her face. “Well the title’s still awful but it’s a nice picture.”

Lyra gave a huff as she snatched the record in her magic, sliding a marker pen from the bag and signing her name across the bottom with her mouth. “There, one autographed copy!”

The winged filly took it almost reverently. “Best…day…of my life!”

Jen gave her friend a little nudge. “Echo this is Fancy Pants.”

The stallion regarded the filly with an arched brow. “Echo? That sounds familiar. Not Cadet Echo of Princess Luna’s night guard?”

Echo was backing up now, eyes glancing left and right nervously. “I…I should get back to the castle.”

“Well whatever for my dear? Your exploits are quite impressive for one so young. You could probably make captain in a few years…though you don’t look like any bat-pony I’ve seen.” His monocle drifted for a closer inspection of Echo.

“Actually she’s incognito as a pegasus. Some ponies are scared of her kind.” Jen rolled her eyes showing exactly how stupid she thought THAT was.

“Well I assure you I’m certainly not frightened of somepony for being a little different. I’ve always felt being different is a good thing. Why if we all looked and acted the same the world would be a rather boring place wouldn’t it?” His warm laughter seemed to set the nervous Echo at ease, who calmed visibly.

Once things had settled down Lyra gave Jennifer a less than gentle nudge. “Alright enough stalling. Get pink and get drawing!”

Jen shot her friend a glare but motioned for Echo to raise the leg bearing her bracelet. Gently she reclaimed the charm and slid it on her own foreleg. She was about to rest her hoof against the human charm when the bracelet gave off a little flash…a fourth charm had appeared. One sculpted to look like a bat-pony. “Whaaaat?! No way!”

The other three ponies leaned in curiously. Jen excitedly touched the human charm and flashed back to her old, horned human girl form. Then grinning ear to ear she only lightly brushed her fingers against the bat charm. With a flash her horn was gone…and a huge pair of bat like wings spread out from her shoulders. “Ohhh this is too cool!”
“W…well…I say that is…a striking change.”

“So like…if you stick it on Spike will you get a dragon charm?”

Echo was just staring as Jen stood and stretched her new bat wings to their fullest width. “Your eyes look like mine too Jen…”

The newly winged girl plopped back on the grass…too excited to even notice her nudity. “No kidding?! Oh man I bet I look AWESOME. I can’t wait to get back to the castle and see!” With a little effort she draped her wings across her shoulders like a cape. “Oh man…these beats feathers by a mile…though it’s a lot brighter out here than it was a minute ago…”
In fact it was almost painfully bright. With a heavy sigh the girl fingered the pegasus charm and draped her now feathered wings across her chest. “I’m totally doing bat all night tonight.”

Her little group of friends chuckled at her antics. “Alright enough talking, get to drawing.”

Jen frowned a bit. She took one of the pencils and flipped open the book. It’d been a long time since she’d drawn anything and she had no idea where to begin. Then she looked at the trio of ponies talking quietly from the corner of her eye, and she began to work.

Yesterday’s misadventures were all but forgotten as her mood soared to new heights. She had friends…friends she made all on her own and not just second hand through Pinkie Pie. She liked Twilight and the gang a lot…but this was different. Occasionally Echo would break from the group and try to peer at the sketch taking shape, but Jen always shied away or lifted a wing to block her view.

She was beginning to draw more of a crowd too…as the artful ponies of the district took note of the sudden appearance of a winged…furless biped sitting in the park, next to two rather well known unicorns no less. She tuned out the low chatter and focused on her work, now and again shooting another glance at one of the three ponies at her side. If she’d been more observant she’d have noticed a number of ponies beginning paintings or sketches of their own…only with her as the subject.
Rarely did her pencil work slowly. She was always brushing the lead across the page, or smudging a mistake with the eraser. She switched seamlessly to a new pencil when she’d finally worn the first down to a nub. At some point Fancy rose and purchased something from one of the passing vendors, returning with a quartet of candied apples. The ponies ate them swiftly while Jen took a distracted bite now and again.

Finally she set the sketch book in her lap and leaned back, hands propping herself up. She blinked owlishly around at the huge crowd she’d only just now noticed…then her cheeks turned red as the apple she’d been eating when she saw more than a few artfully rendered nudes of herself. Some depicting her just as she was sitting…others had taken more liberty. With a gasp she gripped her charm bracelet returning to her unicorn shape.

Noticing her discomfort Fancy Pants stood and addressed the assembled ponies. “Now everyone…show a little decorum to our guest if you would. She’s come a long way as Princess Luna’s personal guest. This is her first day in Canterlot and we want to give a good impression do we not?”

The assembled ponies took note of how distressed the subject of their excitement was becoming and hastily dispersed…all save one paint spattered mare who approached cautiously. “I’m sorry but I have to ask…who are you?”

“Hey wait! A green filly with no cutie mark and metal on her teeth? She’s the Princess’ student!”

Another voice piped up. “Don’t be silly; everypony knows Twilight Sparkle is the princess’ student.”

Yet another chimed in. “No this is Luna’s student…what was it? Jubilant something? The one Duke Land Grab is in an uproar over!”

Jen cleared her throat. “Uh…yes! Yes that’s me. Jubilant Surprise. I’m visiting my ah…mentor for the weekend.”

Now the chatter was raising again…most of it focusing on Luna, and wasn’t she afraid of her. “Er…no of course not. Princess Luna has been nothing but warm and kind since I’ve known her. I mean if she was such a nasty pony would she have agreed with my decision last night?”

This set many of the ponies back on their hooves as they considered the implications. Maybe the nighttime diarch wasn’t a pony to be feared after all? “What was that…thing you were before?”

Jennifer frowned now and she looked to Lyra for support…the mare didn’t disappoint. “Just a little experiment with some new magic! Nothing to get all worked up over!”

The first mare to approach Jen smiled now. “Well whatever it was, it had an exotic beauty. Would you be willing to pose as it sometime?”

“Oh ah…maybe? I mean I’m studying with the Princess…but uh…I guess next weekend? I’m supposed to come every weekend and Luna sleeps during the day.”

There was some murmuring of her not using the princess’ title…but most assumed since she was her student it was forgivable. “Well if you’d like to I’m here every Saturday…I hope to see you then!”

The center of attention allowed herself to relax when the crowd began to disperse. Lyra gave her a smirk. “Jubilant Surprise huh?”

Jen grunted. “I panicked and had to think of something pony sounding last night. Then I thought “What would Pinkie Pie name her real filly?”

“Mm…well you hit the nail on the head there I’d say…that name DOES have a very Pinkiesque quality to it.”

Fancy and Echo meanwhile were preoccupied with the drawing on the sketch pad. “Well I say my dear…I had no idea you had such talent.” With a little squeal of excitement Lyra raced over to see what Jen had done. She gasped softly.
One the page was a trio of ponies. Lyra was in her upright position, eyes closed in gentle repose with her Lyre in her hooves. Fancy’s disheveled appearance was cleaned up, and the gentlepony was sitting with a look on his face showing he was enjoying the music while levitating a tea cup to his muzzle. Echo appeared in her natural state, wings spread wide and hovering over the pair gazing down at the object of her fandom with a big grin.

Ever so gently Fancy Pants’ magic gripped the sketchbook, lifting it to his side. “Well I’m having copies made immediately, one for each of us?” At Lyra and Echo’s eager nod he chuckled. “And with your permission of course Jennifer. Or would you prefer Jubilant?” He winked.

She blushed. “N…no go ahead, I love it when people like my drawings. I’d like the original back though. And just Jen is fine.”

“Well then I shall be off! Lovely to see you again as always Miss Heartstrings, and a pleasure to meet you after hearing so many good things Miss Echo. Until next time.” With a courtly bow the stallion was off, happily levitating the sketchbook in his wake.

Jen had a little smile as he left. “Nice to see him in a better mood.” Seeing the others looking at her curiously she shrugged. “Bad break up.”

A pair of ‘ohhhhhs’ and knowing nods were the twin responses. “Me an Echo should probly get back to the castle Lyra, I’ll catch ya later!” The fillies started on their way back to the castle, Jennifer in unicorn form again.

“Can I see that? I kinda wanna go back to being myself.”

Jen glanced at her disguised friend. “Really? In public?”

The transformed bat pony frowned ruffling her wings. “It was nice spending a day in public but…I feel like I’m hiding from everypony…and even worse from myself. I don’t want to be accepted for being somepony I’m not.”

They stopped their walk as Jen shifted the bracelet from her leg to Echo’s, the latter using the bat charm to resume her natural form. With a happy sigh she pranced ahead a few steps and took to the air. Her wings beat a lot harder than a pegasus and her body had a tendency to rise and fall with each flap. It was an interesting spectacle and many ponies had stopped to stare.

Echo offered her friend her bracelet back upon landing…and Jennifer wasted no time pressing the bat charm for herself. In a flash her coat was still green, but a much darker, almost black color. Her mane and tail were now a vivid crimson red rather than their old auburn, and her eyes had yellowed with the slit pupils. “Ooo it’s like day time.”

The natural bat pony was frowning now at the looks of alarm on the other ponies’ faces. “I think you’re scaring them.”
Jen shrugged and resumed her trot, flexing her new wings now and again. “That’s their problem, not mine. This is a lot cooler than a regular pegasus.”

Echo soon fell back into step with her, the pair winding their way back through the streets. “Why don’t we just fly back? It’s a lot faster.”

The other filly gave an indignant snort. “I’m not allowed to fly yet.”

“Really? Says who?”

“My uh…caretaker, Pinkie.”

“Pinkie? As in Pinkie Pie? As in the bearer of the element of laughter? You weren’t making THAT up?”

Jen shook her head as the castle came into view. “Nope. I’m actually registered as Jennifer Allen Pie.”

“Wow…friends with Lyra Heartstrings and your mom’s a national hero!”

Green ears flattened against their owners’ skull. “She’s not my MOM…just my guardian.”

“Isn’t it the same thing?”

Jennifer kept her eyes on her hooves as they entered the castle unmolested. “No…not really.”

The fillies trotted through the halls to Luna’s throne room, intending to pass through it and up to the princess’ chambers. They were more than a little surprised to find a small crowd of ponies milling about in the petition chambers, Luna’s frazzled secretary zipping back and forth trying to get some order. “Everypony in an orderly line now! The princess will have time for you all but we must keep this nice and structured.”

Echo stepped to a pair of night-guards, a stallion and a younger colt. “What’s goin on guys?”

The elder shifted his attention to the cadet. “Oh hey Echo…and uh…who’s your friend? I don’t recognize her.”

Jen lifted a hoof in greeting. “I’m Jen, Luna’s human guest?”

If she’d been paying attention to the younger guard she’d have seen the goofy grin on his face as he was openly staring at her. “Oh! Well…you make a fine bat pony, should consider signing up for the guard.” He chuckled good naturedly before turning back to Echo. “Petitioners. After word spread about last night’s incident ponies apparently decided Lady Luna wasn’t some frightening monster and have been steadily filtering in the last hour or so.”

Echo looked really excited for a moment, before her face composed itself into a stony mask. “Oh. Well I’m sure Lady Luna is happy.”

The pair of guards was less reserved with their excitement. “Ecstatic! She was giggling like a school filly, you should have seen it.”

The night filly grunted softly. “Well we’ll go let her know we’re here now.”

The girls trotted passed the suddenly indignant ponies in line before one nudged the other. “Look it’s the green blank flank, that’s gotta be her student.”

“Wasn’t she a unicorn?”

“Makes sense she’s one of those bat ponies though…”

The sounds of conversation died as the throne room doors shut behind the fillies. Luna was indeed seated on her throne, working hard to keep a composed and properly royal look on her face though it was clear to them both she was positively bursting with excitement. “Did you see?! They are here to petition…me!”

Much less reserved than her friend Jen rushed up to the throne. “I saw! Congratulations Luna!”

“I owe it to you I believe Jennifer. I…” She stopped talking seeing Echo’s scowl. “…I have a confession.”

Taking a seat right in front of the princess Jen tilted her head. “You do?”

“Yes. I am afraid I tricked you last night. There is no such thing as ‘alicorn stasis’ and you certainly didn’t overwhelm me with your magic, impressive though it may be. It was a ruse perpetuated by myself and Cadet Echo as a test of your character.”

Luna’s face fell further at the hurt so clear in the filly’s large eyes. “I…a test?” She looked back at Echo. “You KNEW about this?”

“I…w…well I did Jen but you have to understand…”

Jennifer silenced her with an angrily raised hoof. With a little scowl for the princess and the cadet she gripped the human shaped charm on her bracelet, folding the bat like wings around her shoulders. “I’m going to my room. Good night.” Not seeming to care about her nudity for once she left the throne room with angry strides…ignoring the call from the once so cheerful alicorn to come back.

-Echo-

Echo watched the human storm off, wincing as she slammed the doors behind her. Angrily she whirled to glare at her princess. “Look what you did! My only friend and now she’s angry with me! This is what lying gets you, nothing but trouble every time!”

Luna’s wings flared as she rose stiffly from her throne. “Remember to whom you are speaking cadet!” Nopony had seen Princess Luna angry since an unfortunate incident in Ponyville on Luna’s first Nightmare Night free of the moon, and Echo was not pleased to be the first since then. “I am aware that I have wronged the girl and fully intend to find some way to make this up to her.” She calmed and took her seat again. “For now go to your friend. I cannot turn away my first real petitioners; I will find her when my duties for the evening are finished.”

With a quick glance back at the princess Echo hastily trotted through the walls towards Jen’s chambers. Gently she knocked. Several moments passed before the door finally opened. Jen looked down at the night pony, eyes still a bit red from recent tears. “Oh…it’s you. Look I’m just…gonna go to bed.”

Echo cocked an eyebrow. “You don’t sleep.”

She gave a faint shrug and plodded back to the big bed, but didn’t shut the door on the filly’s nose. “You got me.” The girl just flopped face first down on the bed.

Hesitantly the pony entered and nudged the door shut behind her. She picked her way across the carpet and climbed onto the, laying on her belly so her muzzle was just in front of Jen’s face. “…I’m really sorry. I was acting under orders…but I promise I didn’t like it even before we were friends.”

Jen groaned softly and planted her face in the bed. “I believe you.” With a sigh she looked back up. “But I dunno…it really took me by surprise. I thought the princess I dunno…thought better of me? Like…why the test? Why’s it even matter that much? I’m nobody.”

“You’re not nobody…not to me. You’re my first real friend who I’m not related to you know? And you’re not nobody to Lyra. I can tell she like…I dunno REALLY cares about you. And what about Fancy Pants? You said he was really upset but you had him smiling and enjoying himself this afternoon.”

“Hmph. You know what I mean Echo. I live in Ponyville and go to school with foals half my age. I’ll admit I’ve had a bit of an exciting first month but now I’m just…” She shrugged. “On my way to becoming an ordinary pony I guess.”

The young cadet seemed to consider this for a few moments. “…I suppose it IS a little odd. Her showing so much interest in you. I mean you helped save Equestria from Discord recently but so did three of the element bearers…for the second time no less. And she never invited any of them for visits. Maybe because you’re an alien?”

“Mm. That could be it I guess.” She blew out another sigh. “Ugh…I was so excited and now all I wanna do is go back to the farm.”

Echo was frowning now. “I can fly you home if you want. We’re stronger than normal pegasus ponies and I can pull a small chariot alone.”

Jen studied her friend for a few moments before sitting up. “…why don’t you teach me how to use echo location?” She offered a faint smile.

A smile her friend hesitantly returned. “Ok…that could be fun.”

With a touch to her bracelet Jen was a full night filly again, rolling off the bed. “So! How do we do this?”

Echo took wing gently flying from candle to candle, snuffing each out in turn. Then she dragged the heavy curtain over the window blotting out the rising moonlight. “Can you see?”

“Mmmm…yup. There’s not a lot of light but you guys got crazy night vision.”

Gently landing on the carpet Echo rooted around one of the drawers in the bureau against the wall fishing out a silk scarf. “Alright close your eyes.” When Jen complied Echo tied the scarf around them. “Can you see NOW?”
“Heh…nope blind as a bat.” She stuck her tongue out.

Even knowing she couldn’t see it Echo rolled her eyes at the bad joke. “Alright…I’m not sure how to best describe doing this…maybe like…clearing your throat and screaming at the same time?” Jen flinched as Echo let loose a shrill keening shriek like whistle…it was really hard to describe. “I send out sound waves, and they bounce around the room and reflect off surfaces…when the sound comes back to my ears I can form a picture in my head.”

Brows furrowed Jen planted her hooves firmly in the carpet and cleared her throat several times. “I think…I feel SOMEthing in there…” Opening her mouth wide she did her best to scream and cough at the same time…and yelped a little as a wail similar to Echo’s came out. “Oh! Did I do it…gah!” She recoiled as the sound waves came back to her. It was hard to describe what it was like. As if someone was sketching out a black and white photo inside her head. She could see the room in startling clarity in her mind for a few moments before the images faded.

“Yeah you did it! Try firing it off a few times in a row. Imagine the images in your head are a photo you’re taking. Now if you take the picture a few steps to the left, everything would look like it’s in a different spot. When using echo location to move, you have to constantly update the picture so you don’t trip or run into something.”

After a few more practice trills Jen was slowly walking around the room. “This is really weird…but pretty cool at the same time. So what kinda things can you do with it that makes it your special talent?” Jen turned to regard Echo after she zeroed in on her location.

“Well I can shriek for a lot longer than most. Like a continuous wave of sound. I can make the pitch high enough to shatter glass too.”

“Ooo I’d wanna see it but I doubt the princess would appreciate us breaking the windows.”

“Wanna go out to the gardens? Lady Luna might be awhile still and it’s better than sitting around in your room for an hour.”
After Jen worked her blindfold off the pair made their way through the castle halls and out into the moonlit gardens. “Wow it’s beautiful. I always thought night time was prettier than day.”

“No kidding? You should think about becoming one of us then. Join the night guard hm?” Echo grinned as the pair trotted through the little path around the gardens.

“Mmm. I dunno about that. It’s super cool but I like Ponyville. And being a guard seems a little…boring?”

The filly at her side shrugged. “Fair enough…it IS a lot more standing around than I expected it to be.”

They wandered at a relaxed pace. Enjoying the cool night air and the good company. Echo veered sharply away to the right, but Jen regarded the left path curiously. “What’s down there?”

“Eh? Oh…dunno. No one goes over there.”

Now of course Jennifer’s curiosity was piqued and she immediately set off down the left. “Well why not?”

Echo caught up at a slower pace. “Dunno…nopony does is all. The staff say it’s haunted.”

Jen looked over at Echo incredulously. “HAUNTED? Do you really think if there was some spooky ghost living in their garden the princesses would ignore it? Quit being a scaredy cat.” Despite her bold words Jen had to admit there was a sort of…heaviness in the air. Rounding a corner there under a pair of twisted old trees stood an ancient looking statue of an alicorn. Overgrown with sickly looking vines. Both fillies stopped dead at the sight.

“…ok that IS a little spooky. It’s so dark in like…JUST this spot…”

Echo was backing up. “I want to go Jennifer. I don’t like this.”

Jen shot a look back at her nervous friend and approached the statue curiously. She shivered a little at the sudden drop in temperature. Wait? Shivered? She glanced down at the jewel hanging from her neck then back to the statue with a frown. It was definitely an alicorn. A larger than life sculpture if comparison to Luna was any indicator. The statue was almost a full head taller than Luna. It sneered down at the fillies with a contemptuous look frozen on its stone face. Ignoring the butterflies in her stomach Jen crept closer, tugging at some of the vines at the base to reveal a rusted and battered placard.

en a ax a

It was almost like somepony deliberately scratched away at the name on the statue. The oppressive feeling in the air was only getting worse and Jen could take it no more, she turned on her hooves and galloped full tilt away, Echo already rounding the corner ahead of her. Both fillies shrieked at the top of their lungs as they came face to face with a flesh and blood alicorn…who returned their scream with gusto.

With a cough Luna folded her wings against her sides glaring at the fillies. “What are you two doing over here?!”

Both shrank away from the fury in her eyes. “W…we were just walking around the garden…I…I made Echo come over here she didn’t want to!” Echo for her part was only nodding rapidly.

Sweeping passed the cowering fillies Luna stalked toward the statue staring hard at it for a time before returning. “…no harm is done, I apologize for frightening you. Echo will you please excuse us? I wish to speak with Jennifer alone.”

Eager to be away from the place the night pony didn’t bother with a goodbye, she just snapped her wings open and soared away toward the castle proper. Jen glanced up at the princess. “I…I’m sorry, I didn’t know it was…like…forbidden. There’re no signs of anything…”

Luna’s expression softened seeing the filly’s fear. “…it is I who should apologize. But ponies are advised to steer clear for a reason. Nopony knows why but being around that statue is…bad luck.” She nodded at that and began walking.

Jen had to step twice as fast to keep pace with the longer legged princess. “…bad luck? I Felt like something was going to lunge out and eat me at any second. Who WAS that?”

“Nopony. Do not concern yourself. Put all thoughts of her out of your head. I mean that Jennifer.” Luna’s tone sharpened again, commanding.

“Y…yes princess. Sorry…”

The lunar princess guided the nervous filly away from the statues and toward the flower beds. “Enough of such unpleasantness. You are my invited guest and I have done nothing but treat you poorly. For that I again offer my humblest apologies.”

Jen squeaked softly as the princess actually bowed low. “O…oh it…it’s alright you don’t gotta do that! I just…I was angry is all…and confused? I don’t understand why you felt the need to test me at all…”

Luna rose and regarded her for a few moments, seeming to be thinking hard about her answer. “You are the bearer of the Sword of Harmony, a powerful relic of Equestria. And you are holding half of Discord’s power around your neck…one of the greatest threats our land faced. Do you perhaps have a confession of your own?”

Now it was Jen’s turn to look contrite as her eyes darted away from the princess’. “I…I’ve been…using it.”

Gently the princess took the filly’s muzzle in hoof and tilted her head to face her. “For?”

Jen shrugged a little. “Sending letters to my uncle on earth…and…a couple trips home.”

“And?”

She shuffled on her hooves. “And…so I don’t get tired anymore. I can’t sleep since…you know…” A hoof brushed against the scar barely visible through the fur of her barrel.

“Then I believe I owe you another apology. One of my duties is to guard my citizens dreams against the nightmares that would plague their sleep…I fear taking on the burden of Celestia’s half of ruling has made it difficult to perform satisfactorily.” Luna’s expression grew stern once more. “Can you tell me truthfully that the amulet is having no effect on you?”

Wide eyed the filly nodded. “Y…yes I can! I don’t hear the voices at all. Believe me if I did I’d…I dunno…throw it in a volcano or something. I know I promised not to use it I just…I missed my uncle…a lot. You can’t imagine what it feels like to be a whole world away from your family.”

“Tell me…did anypony tell you of Nightmare Moon?”

Jen frowned. “A little. Twilight said that’s how she met Pinkie and the others. Princess Celestia sent her to Ponyville to uh…make friends and supervise the Summer Sun Celebration. Then some crazy mare called Nightmare Moon attacked and they used the elements of harmony to beat her?”

Luna chuckled softly. “That crazy mare was me.” Jen gasped and clopped her hooves over her muzzle. “I do not take offense…I was rather insane after all. A little more than a thousand years ago I tried to force Celestia from her throne and she had to imprison me in the moon. So…I do know something of being a world away from my family. I cannot fault you for wishing to see yours from time to time…so long as I have your word you will not use this power frivolously.

“You do. There’s a lot I could do with it…I miss burgers like every day, but I’d never use it for something that silly.”

“Very well then. …and perhaps allow yourself to sleep soon. I will personally see to it your dreams are undisturbed.”

Jen smiled a bit now. “Well I gotta admit I kinda like having all the extra time. And I get to enjoy the night and not worry about being a zombie the next day.”

“Well I Can hardly fault one of my little ponies for THAT now can I?” Luna smiled gently. “Now that ALL the unpleasantness is out of the way…I believe I promised you some lessons hm? I’m afraid I was more occupied the past two evenings than I would have liked…but why don’t you choose. Spell or sword?”

“Sword! Definitely sword!” Jen giddily shifted back to her humanoid form drawing the Sword of Harmony from its sheath in her shield.

Luna tsk’d softly. “We will not be training with REAL sword Jennifer. Follow me.”

The girl sheathed her sword a little disappointed, following the princess. She folded her wings across herself to provide a bit of modesty, but she really WAS finding it a little easier to walk about. “Think I might see if Rarity can make me some clothes that change WITH me…this is still a little weird.”

Without looking back Luna’s horn glowed gently and with a soft pop Jen’s shirt, pants, and shoes had materialized on her body. “O…or that works.”

Luna led her down some stairs and into what she assumed was a training room. Several night ponies were assaulting wooden dummies with hooves and a few had what appeared to be spring loaded blades that would flick from the armor on their forelegs. A pair of wooden swords and shields drifted from the rack near the wall, one set landing at Jen’s feet while Luna kept the other pair gripped in her magic.

“I will admit this is not my favored weapon, I typically fight with twin blades. But I am familiar enough with the sword and shield style. Shall we begin the lesson?”

Eagerly Jen gently slid the Sword of Harmony from her arm and laid it against the wall. Slipping the wooden shield over in its place she gripped her practice sword. “Ready!”

Luna drifted a set of training armor over and began to fasten it about Jen’s body…as best she could anyhow. “I believe I shall have some armor custom fitted for our next visit…”

Jen nudged the helmet away. “Thing looks dorky.”

With a raised brow Luna let it fall beside her…then thunked her solidly on the head with her practice sword.

A moment later a now helmeted Jennifer faced the Princess. “Now…I Suppose the most important and most basic lesson is to always keep your eyes on your opponent. Not just their weapon.” Luna began to weave her sword through the air in a slow, but intricate dance. “A skilled swordspony will lull a novice into focusing too much on their blade and before you know it…”

Jen had about a split second to blink as Luna’s shield snapped out and womped her in the face. With a grunt the girl staggered back holding her nose. “You will be struck by something else.”

Now Jen was starting to get a little agitated. “Fine. Anything else?”

“Yes. Never lose your temper in battle. If you get angry you stop thinking, and if you stop thinking…” The princess sword thrust in at Jen’s stomach, and this time the girl snapped her shield down to intercept it. “Very good.”

“Yeah that’s about all I did with Discord…block block block. Not that it helped in the end.” She wrinkled her nose in annoyance at the memory.

“Indeed. Well shall we go through a few basic motions?” A warm glow bathed the princess, when it faded Jen stepped back in surprise from the horned, winged woman clad in impressive gleaming black armor. “You did not think I would try to have you mimic my motions while I was a pony did you? That would be a little difficult.”

“N…no I guess not…just wasn’t expecting this.”

“Well…study what I do, and try to mimic it.”

To her credit Jennifer was a good student. Likely due to her interest in the subject. Soon she was moving beside the transformed princess. It was the same motion. Step forward and thrust. Shift the shield over her chest, then step back. Forward thrust, shield, back.

“Always keep your shield arm locked firmly. If your grip is too slack…” The princess spun suddenly and thwacked Jen’s shield, forcing it out to the side, and then prodding her in the chest with the tip of her sword. “…it is easy to knock aside.”
With a grunt the girl tightened her grip and resumed the motions. They’d drawn a small crowd of spectators by the time Luna called for her to stop. “Let us go through a little practice bout. Just to test what skill you already have.”

Shifting from foot to foot the girl nodded and took a few steps away from the princess. “Whenever you’re ready.”

As soon as she said it Luna lunged with a powerful thrust, and Jen snapped her shield down to catch it. Her relief was short lived as the princess swept her own shield up angling for Jen’s head but she was watching for it and swung her sword around to push it away. Of course this left her wide open to a jab in the side from the princess, and she hopped back with a hiss of pain.

“Good…very good. Swordplay is like a dance Jennifer. Your opponent your partner. You have to be focused on their movements, not just their weapons but their body. If I shift my hip one way it says I’m going to swing a certain way you see? Always be ready to flow. The dance does not end because you have blocked successfully, it ends when one partner can no longer continue.”

They came together again. Jen managed to block several attacks, and even give a poke of her own back, but inevitably every exchange ended with her getting a new welt or bruise. “We can stop if you like.”

The girl grit her teeth and shook her head. Luna quirked a faint smile and lunged in again. It wasn’t until the sun was beginning its ascent that the princess lowered her arms. Both women were covered in a sheen of sweat and breathing hard, (the younger in much worse shape than elder). Delicately the princess lifted the training weapons and set them back on the racks, resuming her equestrian shape. “I feel this was a very good first night. I’m afraid I require rest however, and should adjourn to my chambers.”

Plucking her usual weapon from the floor Jen followed Luna back outside and into the castle proper. “Would you be willing to come again next weekend? I promise no nonsense testing. We’ll get right to work.”

Giving a tired nod the ailing girl smiled. “Yup. I’m gonna getcha next time too.”

The alicorn laughed lightly. “We shall see. I have no doubt in time I will come away with my share of bruises. Refresh yourself and rest for a time. I will send Echo to take you home by chariot if that is agreeable?”

At Jen’s nod Luna turned for the stairs to her tower. “Thank you for coming Jennifer. And for how you handled your first evening here. It seems to have done wonders for my image. …though the cooks are trying to feed me waffles for all three meals…”

The pair shared a smile at that and parted. Luna to her chambers, Jen to her own. The human was happy to see a hot bubble bath had been drawn in the adjoining room, and she sank in with a low groan. The hot water was like magic on her sore body.

She didn’t bother keeping track of how long she enjoyed the bath…but it must’ve been awhile because Echo was poking her nose in soon. “Hey! I still can’t sleep y’know?”

Jen sat up with a yelp. “Oh jeez I forgot to take that off. Uh…how about when we hit Ponyville I’ll unwammy you? You can crash at the farm and fly back tonight.”

The pair made their way from Jen’s rooms and by the petitioning chambers, where they found Fancy Pants waiting. “Ah! Just the fillies I was looking for!” With a smile he returned Jennifer’s sketchbook, along with a pair of silver picture frames. Behind the glass of each one was a copy of Jen’s sketch. “The frames were a personal touch.”

Jen smiled and through her arms around the stallions neck in a huge. “Thanks Fancy, this is really nice.”

The flustered stallion backed up a step and cleared his throat. “Y…yes well. I look forward to seeing you again, if not next week than at the…” He glanced about sharply. “Event coming up.”

“Yes, definitely. If I have free time next weekend maybe I can see your home?”

He chuckled. “I think that could be arranged. And the invitation is open to you as well Echo. I hope to see you as is of course.”

The night pony scuffed a hoof on the floor. “I’d love to sir…thank you.”

“Well then! It looks like you fillies were moving with a purpose and I’ve delayed you long enough! Until next time my friends!” He trotted out with a chuckle.

Jen looked back down at Echo. “Ready?”

The filly nodded and soon Jen was packed and following Echo to a small chariot. “For single passengers, just in case.”

With a nod the girl climbed aboard while Echo hitched herself into the harness. “Ready for takeoff?”

“Yup! Let’s roll!”

Echo burst into a gallop tugging the chariot along with surprising strength. Spreading her wings the pair were air born with a few short flaps. Jen’s mouth split into an ear to ear grin at the sensation of flying. It was just as wonderful as the first time.
Soon they were soaring over the Equestrian country side, and Jen was leaning well over the edge of the chariot to see everything. It looked a lot different than at night. Her eye was drawn to the tree line at a sudden burst of pale pink magical light. She squinted at the point and gasped at what she saw. “Echo! We need to land! Right now!”

Hearing the urgency in her friends’ voice Echo didn’t question her, just angled downward and brought the chariot to a less than gentle rest on the rough dirt road. The wheels had barely touched the ground before Jen hopped out and took off at a run for the trees, tapping her earth pony charm as she went. The sudden surge of strength made crashing through the thick brush effortless.

Echo was flapping at her side, nimbly weaving around the limbs of the trees. “What?! What is it?!” She was surprised at the furious scowl locked on the girls face.

“I saw somepony I recognized, one of the ones helping Discord. She hurt Twilight and just got away with it!”

“Is she dangerous? We should let the guard know! Canterlot’s not THAT far back.”

Jen shook her head fiercely. “I’m not letting her get away again!”

With a crash she smashed her way through a particularly thick batch of foliage emerging into a wide clearing. There she spied her quarry. The ice blue unicorn in her gaudy star spangled hat and cape. Trixie wasn’t alone however. With her were two more….Jen assumed they were ponies. One had a shiny black carapace like a bug…with wings that flicked at his sides also resembling a bugs. He regarded her curiously, though it was hard to see what he was thinking with the solid blue eyes.

The other was even more striking. It looked like a unicorn mare encased in ridged glossy black armor. A fearsome helm hid her mane and made her ruby red eyes stand out sharply. The helm was stylized to look like a spider’s head, with the mandibles closing around the unicorns’ neck to secure it. She glared at Jennifer with hate filled eyes and spoke one word.

“Thief.”

Author's Note:

Whoof! Big chapter! I really wanted to get it all in there so I could focus on the big encounter in the next one. :x