• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,760 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,760

Chapter 9: Open For Business

Chapter 9: Open For Business

Mercifully Jen was able to leave the hospital the next day. Her cuts weren’t as deep and her bones would mend, but the doctor gave now familiar instructions to take it easy. Echo’s parents came to take her to a hospital in Canterlot for her recovery. “I’ll see you this weekend Echo, even if Luna doesn’t invite me to stay. I can get a hotel or maybe crash at Fancy’s place!”

An older night pony mare flinched at Jen’s familiar tone regarding the princess, but let it slide. She’d never seen her daughter so happy. “Alright! I’ll see ya in a few days then Jen!”

Applejack trotted in with a polite nod to the departing ponies, nudging a wheelchair to Jen’s bed. The girl didn’t bother trying to hide a grimace. “Heh…s’just til we get outside sugarcube. Rules an all. Doc says yer fine more or less. Fit t’do a couple chores I reckon.” Her smile was slightly less friendly in the teen girls’ eyes as she slid into the chair.

“Yeah? Well I do like to help out.”

“Glad t’hear it cause boy do I have somethin’ for you t’do! Pinkie sends her apologies by the by. Emergency at Sugarcube. Holidays an all. She’ll be ‘round the farm this afternoon.”

“I was wondering where she was. I know she’s gotta lot of work going on with all the holidays. Plus with the brand NEW holiday we have scheduled next week heh.”

One she was out of the building Jennifer got to her feet with just a faint grunt. “You earth ponies got it goin on when it comes to getting knocked around AJ.”

The Stetson clad mare chuckled as she set an easy pace through town toward her farm. “Well Ah surely can’t argue with ya on that one. Hey d’you mind swingin’ by the school? Got some homework ya missed yesterday.”

Jen wrinkled her nose. First day out of the hospital, getting make up work was not high on her list. Though seeing the way Applejack was eyeing her from the corner of her eye she shrugged. “Sure. If I gotta lie around I might as well study while I do it.”

“That’s the spirit! Nose to the grindstone. S’how we git things done the earth pony way. Yer figurin’ things out already an’ we ain’t even started on the farmin’ side of it yet.”

This brought a smile to the girl’s face as they made their way to her school. It was the middle of the day and the foals were all rushing about enjoying their recess as she stepped through the little gate. Of course the crusaders charged right over, Applebloom in the lead.

“Heya Jenny! Whadja fight this time?!”

“Was it a dragon? I bet it was a dragon!”

“Glad you’re out of the hospital already!”

With a little laugh she smiled down at them. “I fought a berserk alicorn like the princesses. But she was a lot smaller like a normal pony. It was pretty rough. Oh and a changeling! He was pretty tough too but my friend Echo took care of him.”
Three sets of eyes widened at the news alongside a chorus of ‘ooooos’. “Hey come ‘round back we got somethin’ ta show ya!”

With a shrug to the mare at her side Jen followed the excited little filles behind the school house. The old steeple coming into clear view, and looking significantly less old and run down, and more sparkling and brand new.

“Girls! Did you do this while I was gone this weekend?” Frankly Jennifer was astonished. She knew Applebloom was supposed to have a good head for construction and repairs but this was like a brand new building. Freshly dried paint in cheerful reds, yellows and blues covered the outer walls. Inside was equally pleasant. The wooden pews removed and replaced by several little work tables, likely donated from the school. Jen stepped around carefully examining every inch of the renovated building. Stacks of art supplies, coloring books, crayons and board games filled several cupboards.
“Those were Miss Cheerilee’s idea! She asked everypony t’bring in a game they really liked t’play so y’all’d have somethin’ fer us t’do on our first day!”

Sweetie Belle hopped forward bursting with excitement. “The art stuff is from Rarity! She has tons of if lying around her work room so she said we could take some!”

Where the old podium stood was a large wooden desk, very similar to their teacher’s but much newer. Delicately running her fingers along the top Jen walked passed it and peered around into the back room.

“We didn’t get a chance t’get t’the back room or the upstairs yet. Sorry Jenny.” Jen couldn’t help but laugh at just how despondent the little farm filly sounded.

“No it’s perfect Applebloom, really. And I kinda wanted to pitch in fixing it up anyway so this works out. Now I can help make the upstairs as pretty as you girls made the downstairs.”

Scootaloo piped up finally. “It was mostly Applebloom. All me and Sweetie Belle did was run around town collecting whatever she told us to.”

“Well it sounds like a team effort to me! You girls did an amazing job, really. Thank you SO much.” She caught Applejack making a little ‘keep going’ motion. “And uh…I’m very…proud of you?”

Three little cheers filled the room as the fillies bounded out bellowing ‘cutie mark crusader daycare fixers’ yaaaay!’ Applejack shook her head with a chuckle. “Y’all just made them fillies’ days y’know?”

“Well jeez did you see the job they did? How does Applebloom not have a cutie mark in carpentry or something already?”
The mare removed her hat running a hoof through her mane. “Well…now Ah don’t rightly know all the fancy scientifical particulars of cutie marks y’understand. But from what Ah recall it ain’t just about whatchur best at. Yer special talents gotta have meanin’ y’see? Like sure AB’s obviously gonna be workin’ with her hooves. Anypony can see that. Cept Bloom apparently. A cutie mark comes when we do somethin’ meaningful t’ourselves. An artist might make the perfect paintin’, a unicorn could figure out a tricky bit’a magic. No tellin’ how they work.”

Jen smirked a bit when Applejack finally stopped. “You sold yourself short Applejack. That was a pretty high falutin’ explanation if y’all ask me.”

“Hmph. Don’t think just cause yer ailin’ Ah won’t kick yer flank if ya ask for it. Go gitchur homework an let’s get on back t’the farm.”

“Yes ma’am!” With an over the top salute the girl marched by the mare…then hissed in pain as her exaggerated movements reminded her ‘by the way you have a pair of stomach lacerations and a few broken ribs!' Sufficiently cowed she shuffled back to the school poking her head in. “Miss Cheerilee?”

She looked up from her desk with a smile, a smile that faded seeing the numerous bandages, particularly the one around her head. “Oh dear should you be walking around?”

A little shrug was Jen’s response. “Probly not much, but I’m more or less ok. I’ll be back in class tomorrow. I wanted to say thank you so much for everything you donated to the daycare up there. You didn’t have to do that.”

“Oh nonsense. Nothing makes me happier than seeing one of my students getting out on her own hooves…or…feet I suppose.” She giggled softly. She had a nice laugh, the kind that just made anyone hearing it want to smile too. “Though if you really want to repay me how about you come over for dinner this week. I have so many questions about what your old school was like.”

“Oh! I’d be happy to. Wednesday ok?”

“It most certainly is.” She slid open her desk drawer and handed Jen a work sheet, laughing again at the comical face fall. “It’s just fractions Jennifer. If you’re having that much trouble I could arrange a tutor?”

Back home anything beyond the bare basics never really occurred to Jennifer that they’d be needed. She certainly wasn’t going into work as an accountant or something. But she was about to start her own business any day now, maybe being a little more math smart wasn’t a bad idea? “Sure…a tutor sounds ok but I’m not sure when I’d fit it in with the daycare opening soon, magic lessons coming up and my weekend trips to Canterlot.”

“That’s a good point. You definitely have more responsibilities than the average student. Oh! I don’t suppose you’d be willing to come to school a little early? I’m always here a couple hours before school starts and would be happy to do review with you.”

Well that was a good solution, given that Jen had quit sleeping entirely. “Sure I can do that!” It’d be nice to have something other than aimless wandering about the town to occupy herself with.

“Wonderful! It’s nice to see such enthusiasm. Will tomorrow be too early to start or can you manage? I know you were hurt and need your rest.”

“No tomorrow morning’s fine. I hate just laying around doing nothing to be honest. Way too much to see and do to just sleep the morning away.” Jen shared a laugh with her teacher before again joining Applejack.

“Granny Smith’s whippin’ up a batch of them apple dumplin’s for ya, after y’all went crazy over em last time.”

“Hmph. I’d never had an apple dumpling before. And they’re really good. Especially with that hot cinnamon sauce and a big glass of cider….” She was practically drooling now, and the amused mare just shook her head leading the way up the road to the farm. Applejack veered off the main path a bit with a curious Jennifer following. Her curiosity vanished quickly when she saw the still downed tree lying where she’d kicked it over. “Uh…”

“I saved it for ya! Now don’t you worry none. We’ll give it a week or so b’fore y’gotta haul the stump out and roll this here dead tree off for kindlin’.”

“I’m really sorry about the tree! I had NO idea I was that strong!”

Applejack just chuckled softly and waved a hoof. “Don’t you worry none sugarcube, we all make mistakes. S’pose Mac’s partly t’blame. He shoulda warned ya not t’put yer all inta a buck.”

The pair made their way up to the house. “So you’re all like…strong enough to do that?”

“Well Ah surely am. An Mac’s a good deal stronger’n that. When we get t’yer proper earth pony lessons Ah reckon we’ll sortcha out an teach ya a little control.”

“Oh heh, probly a good idea.” Jen made her way upstairs to the guest room, stretching out on the bed with a soft groan. She was pretty sore all over still really. Rummaging about in her bag she fished out the framed sketch Fancy Pants had given her, setting it on the stand by the bed with a smile. She drew out the mostly empty sketch book next and copied the phone number from her arm into the inside cover for future use.

The afternoon passed quietly. Granny Smith and Big Mac were both by to check on the girl and see how she was doing but for the most part she was left to her own devices. Tsking a little at herself for having neglected what used to be her favorite past time, Jennifer began to fill more of the blank pages in the book. Mostly sketches of her friends drawn from memory…even a page with a smirking Discord and the fierce alicorn Umbra.

Jen heard the front door closed and the sound of excitedly bouncing hooves heading toward her room but she was busy sketching and didn’t look up. If the bounding weren’t clue enough the smell was, Pinkie always smelled vaguely of sugary baked goods. Not that the girl found it unpleasant of course.

Seeing what she was engrossed in the party mare crept closer and settled on the floor to watch. She didn’t have long to wait as the girl was just putting the finishing touches on the sketch of the imposing armored Umbra. Finally she set her pencil aside and offered the book to Pinkie, already knowing she’d be demanding to see it.

With a gleeful little squee she accepted the book and set it on the floor flipping to the start. “Ooo you got to hang out with your friends all together!?” Jen peeked down to see Pinkie was still on the first page. “Heh, yeah. Echo was showing me around, Lyra was performing in the district and Fancy just…looked like he needed a smile.”

Something in the last bit made Pinkie look up at Jen watery-eyed, but the girl was already lying back in bed staring at the ceiling. “You know you’re pretty awesome at this art stuff Jenny-bean. Maybe you’ll get your cutie mark in THAT huh?”
Rolling her eyes and not at all realizing the irony of the coming statement given her conversation with Applejack just a few hours earlier Jen sighed. “Nah it’s nothing special.”

Pinkie was smart enough about the rules of a growing filly to know you can’t push the cutie mark on them, it had to be discovered or it would be meaningless. She asked little questions here and there, and finally settled on the last drawing staring at it for awhile.

“The changeling called her Umbra. She’s the alicorn that attacked us. She was pretty scary.”

The mare hm’d softly and tilted her head regarding it. “You know I always thought you did an amazing job with your drawing Jenny-bean. The faces especially, you always get the emotion just right.”

“Yeah I’ve never seen someone hate me like she did.”

“I don’t see hate. She just looks really sad to me. Her eyes do anyway…like maybe she lost something important!”

With a little grunt Jen snatched up the book and stared at the sketch. “…maybe. Well she’s gone now.” Snapping the book shut she hopped off the bed. “You staying for dinner?”

“Well since you invited me!” With a laugh the pair made their way downstairs. Pinkie to chatter with Applejack, Jen to set the table. She’d set the table and take care of the dishes every night. She wasn’t much use in the kitchen when it came to cooking, but at least she pitched in with the cleaning.

Soon the Apple’s and the Pie’s were seated at the dinner table digging into the generous portions the way only earth ponies, (or human girls magically tuning into earth pony magic) could. “So I’m gonna be leaving early for tutoring with Miss Cheerilee from now on, she’s not satisfied with my math progress.”

“Hmph. Dunno why ya care bout the fancy numerical’s anyway Jennifer. All that hooey ain’t done no pony no good.” Applejack nodded firmly, before her brother cuffed her upside the head. “Uh…but it’s still good t’get a nice rounded education?”

“Eeyup.”

Jen smirked at their antics. “Well I don’t mind. I prefer to be out and about than cooped up in the house all the time anyway. Plus if the tutoring gets done quick enough I might get a chance to head into the daycare and do some cleaning where the Crusaders haven’t fixed up yet.”

“Well if yer gonna be muckin’ about with mah work Ah s’pose Ah best come inta school early too.” Applebloom had started to clear the table, expertly balancing dishes on her head.

Her older sister regarded her with a raised brow. “Yer volunteerin’ t’go inta school EARLY?”

“Sure if Jenny’s goin in early. Miss Cheerilee MIGHTA told me mah math grades weren’t so good neither…an Ah’d rather do tutorin’ in th’mornin’ b’fore school than stayin’ after an not gettin’ t’play with mah friends.”

Scrutinizing the little filly as if she were going to detect some sort of mistruth Applejack just nodded slowly. “Well…Ah s’pose it’s alright. Long as ya know yer there t’study.”

While the Apple sisters talked Jen stood walking with Pinkie to the door. “I’ll walk you home. I wanna swing by the library and grab some books anyway.”

“Alrighty! Thanks for dinner everypony!” Goodbyes said mare and human departed back toward town. “Oh…I almost forgot! We gotta go to town hall tomorrow and fill out some papers to get the ‘Pie’ off your name.”

Jen walked with her fingers laced behind her head, enjoying the breeze that felt pleasant to her thanks to the magical warmth her gem provided. “Well, I mean we don’t HAVE to do it. It doesn’t bug me THAT much.”

Pinkie Pie was doing an extraordinary job of keeping herself calm and collected, not wanting to explode and possibly spook the girl into changing her mind. “Well if you don’t mind I guess we can just leave it as is.”

“I don’t mind. It’s sorta nice. Having an Equestria family name. Makes me feel a little bit more like I belong y’know?”

The mare gave Jen an affectionate nuzzle at her hip. “Oh Jenny, you DO belong. Heck you have your own shop uh…sorta! Lots of friends and everypony seems to like you ok? So don’t EVER say you need to feel like you belong. Because you do.”
“Heh…alright alright, sorry. Consider the matter settled!” Jen knelt and gave her a hug as they reached Sugarcube. “Maybe we should’ve just hired Applebloom to build the house. She sure fixed up that steeple fast.”

Pinkie giggled brightly at the idea. “Oh she’s smart as a whip when it comes to that kinda stuff! Sleep tight tonight Jenny-bean, ok?”

“I will Pinkie. G’night!” With a wave over her shoulder Jen headed to the library knocking softly. She had to wait a few minutes before a sleepy looking Spike answered.

“…d’you know what time it is?”

“Er…no. Not very late?” Looking up the moon was on the rise but still…

“Hmph. Twilight it’s Jen!” Waddling back upstairs muttering about crazy mares never sleeping he was soon replaced with the librarian.

“Well good evening Jennifer! What brings you by?” She held the door open further for Jen to step inside, closing it once she was in.

“Well I was looking for some books. History books specifically.”

“Oooo!” Twilight clopped her hooves a bit in excitement, causing Jen to grin. “Well we have plenty on the subject that’s for sure! Though maybe you’d like to narrow it down a little?”

The unicorn led Jennifer to the history section, it was rather impressively stocked. “What d’you have on alicorns?”
“Oh! Well hm…” Her horn glimmered as she began to grab books from various shelves.

Jen took a seat and looked over each book in turn, frowning a little. “These are all about Luna, Celestia, and Cadence.”
Twilight quirked a brow. “Well of course, they’re the only alicorns in the whole wide world Jennifer. Er…well except the one you ran into yesterday.”

Drumming her fingertips on one of the book covers Jen plopped her chin into her other hand. “Have you been in the royal gardens?”

“Well of course, plenty of times. Oh I had this favorite tree to sit under while I studied.”

“Well I found this statue. It was an alicorn, and the name was scratched off the base.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide while they darted back in forth before she leaned in to whisper. “You don’t mean the one in the far corner all covered in vines?”

“Yeah that’s the one! Who is she?”

The mare responded with a snort. “Nopony. It’s just a creepy old statue.”

“Then why’s it have a name on the base?”

“I…well…that is…” Twilight seemed at a loss for words. “…that is a very good question. You actually got close enough to examine it that much? Nopony ever goes NEAR it! It gives them the willies.”

“The willies isn’t very scientific…” Jen commented dryly. “But I did. I cleared some of the vines from the base and saw a scratched out name.”

“I’m sorry Jennifer, if it IS a statue of a real pony her name has been forgotten centuries ago. You’d need to find a library over a thousand years old to find books I haven’t read myself by now. I’ve studied every piece of known literature on the princesses and never once has an alicorn besides the three been mentioned.”

Grimacing at her search being ending before it even began Jennifer blew out a frustrated sigh. “Oh well. That wasn’t the only reason I dropped by. I was wondering when we could begin magic lessons.”

Twilight emitted a gleeful squeal more akin to something Jen would expect from Pinkie rather than the bookish librarian. With a soft POP she vanished only to reappear a moment later with another POP. All manner of books, quills, and scrolls gripped in her hooves and magical aura. “I’ve been waiting for you to ask! I have lesson plans already prepared! I also devised a spell to test your magical aptitude rather than the obviously unreliable machines. IN fact if you don’t have to dash we could get started right away!”

Jennifer did in fact NOT have to dash, and any time she could fill with friendly company rather than aimless wandering in the darkened streets was welcome. “Sure let’s do it. Wanna start with the aptitude measurement first?”

Heaping the study supplies on a handy table Twilight nodded beaming widely. “I would! I tested it on myself earlier so I know it works. All you have to do is well…sit there! Oh! And if you could please adapt your unicorn aspect.”

Glancing down at the bracelet on her wrist Jen chewed her lip with a frown. If she went unicorn she’d lose the earth pony durability and healing and she’d probly be ailing a lot more than she was now. The solution was rather simple. Delicately touching both earth and unicorn symbols, her horn sprouted while her earth physique remained.

“Oh my! I didn’t know you could use two at once. Have you tried three?”

The girl gave a shrug. “Well my wings are kinda useless in or out of a fight so I didn’t feel the need to try and bring them out when I was fighting Umbra. I didn’t want to give up my earth strength but I noticed Umbra never used her magic offensively so…I tried unicorn and earth mixing. It worked and well bam. I dropped her with a little magic slam into the street. Though when I do two like this I start to get headaches.”

Twilight was busily scribbling everything the girl was saying to a scroll. “Fascinating. We’ll have to consult the princess on this. It might be dangerous and I’d suggest not doing it often. It could be as simple as growing pains of a sort. Your body is trying to use two types of magic at once and it’s likely not used to that.”

“That makes sense I guess.” Jen rubbed the back of her neck and tapped just the unicorn symbol, grimacing as her body dwindled to normal and her aches magnified. “Well…ow…let’s get this done.”

With a deep breath Twilight shut her eyes and her horn began to glow brightly. When her eyes opened they were solid pools of magenta light. Slowly she trotted around Jennifer. “Well…I don’t think the machine was wrong after all. You have an IMMENSE mana pool…more like a mana lake to draw from. Would you mind changing to your earth form?”

Eyebrows raised the girl did as she was asked, sighing in relief as she bulked back up. Nodding slowly Twilight circled her again. “Very interesting. All of your mana intake shifted from your horn to your feet. Would you do pegasus now?” Again Jen complied after gently tugging her shirt off. Her new wings fluttered a bit. “And now through the wings. Just like anypony else draws their magic. Now…please do two at once.”

Touching earth and unicorn again Jen shuffled a bit where she sat working to stay comfortable on the floor. “And now from horn AND feet. Not only that but you’re drawing the mana in from both sources fully. When in such a state you’ll likely be able to sustain spells far longer. Would you please do all three?”

Tentatively Jen glanced down at her bracelet. “I can’t promise I can do it for long alright? I’m getting a little headache as is.”
Gently the mare rested a hoof on the girls’ hand. “I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable or hurt yourself. But if I’m going to teach you magic, and if the other girls will teach you about their own tribes we need to know exactly what the tools we have at hand can do. You won’t have to do it long, and if it hurts just change right back okay?”

With a deep breath and a little smile Jen spread three fingers apart and touched the pegasus, unicorn, and earth charms. She felt a little jolt run through her body as she did otherwise…nothing. “Hey my headaches gone too!”

“Mmm. You’re drawing mana in from all three sources evenly now. I believe the headaches were coming from two opposing mana sources clashing against one another. But when you have all three sources open the energy flows in evenly from all and mixes with your already existing pool. You can go back down to just one.”

Again she tapped just the unicorn charm, leaning her back against the couch for support. “So…how come I have so much?”
“Well…this is just a theory mind you. But I believe it has to do with you coming from a world with NO mana. Equestria is saturated with it. All life needs and uses it to do pretty much everything! I believe when your mana starved body arrived in our world it began to draw in as much as it could as fast as it could and just started OVER filling you. Even after you reached a safe level it seems that the foreign matter of your body is telling Equestria ‘no I don’t have enough yet, give me more!’ so it does. Everypony has a limit to their mana so eventually your intake will level off and normalize I’m sure.”

Jen wrinkled her nose trying to wrap her head around the concepts. “Is there such a thing as too much? Like could I be in trouble?”

Gently the scholarly unicorn shook her head. “I’ve never heard of that happening to be honest. And while you do have a vast mana reserve it’s still less than my own though admittedly greater than many unicorns I’ve seen. This doesn’t mean you’ll be able to learn and cast any spell you like of course. It just means the ones you DO learn will have more force and lasting power to them. Still if you’re worried I’ll mention this to the princess in the letter asking about the charm, alright?”
“I’d appreciate that Twilight. Sorry if I’m being a pain it’s just a little scary y’know? Not knowing.”

“Of course. It’s no trouble at all!” She was in fact already scrawling the letter. “Well it looks like we have plenty of energy to work with so that’s good to know! Now we’ll do a very simple test to determine what level of magics you can learn!” Carefully Twilight levitated a number of scrolls over and rested them before Jen. “Each one of these contains a spell written in the language of magic! All you have to do is open and see if you can make sense of the words. If you can, you can learn that level of spell. Easy right?”

“Sure that sounds easy enough.” Though she was sick of sitting on the floor by now, so Jen scooped them up and spread them on a table in front of the sofa, settling on the couch and getting comfy. Gently she undid the first ribbon and read the scroll. “I can read this one! It’s for light right?”

“Yes! Very good. Of course I’d be surprised if you couldn’t read that, those are the very basic spells.”

Nodding slowly Jen rolled it back up and regarded the other nine before her. She made it through the next two without trouble, but the third she frowned squinting her eyes hard. “It’s like…the letters are squirming and changing around.”
“Oh! Well then there we are. Up to level two, not bad at all!”

Jen regarded her with a frown. “Two? But there’re ten scrolls and I can only get up to the THIRD.”

With a little laugh the unicorn rolled them all back up tucking them away. “Well yes but understand many foals can only ready the first, maybe second level. And while I know you’re not a little filly you’re essentially on the same level as one in terms of magical aptitude.”

“Oh so I’m right where I should be. Where can you get up to?”

“Six!” She said with a little too much enthusiasm. “I’m almost to the seventh too. Maybe a year or so more of study. It’s very exciting.”

“Wow you’re only up to six? You’re like…the most magical unicorn ever.”

Blushing a little at the compliment Twilight cleared her throat. “Well the spells grow exponentially more powerful and complex with each level. Nine are spells like raising the sun and the moon and so far only the princesses can do them in this day and age. It used to be more common for unicorns to wield such powerful magics. SOMEday I hope to get there.”

“So how do I learn spells?”

Floating a book into Jen’s lap Twilight adopted her lecturing tone. “Well every spell has a unique set of words that must be mentally pronounced perfectly while you focus your mana into your horn. When both of these factors are achieved you cast the spell! Some magic like levitation and personal shielding are intuitive to every unicorn and require no mental component. Your Find It spell is basic magic but with a very rudimentary mental component. You think of what you want, focus mana and poof.”

“Hm. That all makes sense. You’re pretty good at this teaching business.”

Another blush was creeping across Twilight’s cheeks. “Well! Let’s get to learning some magic! Before we can begin learning ACTUAL spells, you need to learn control.”

Remembering the sandwich she rocketed into the stratosphere the first time she tried to levitate something Jen couldn’t disagree. “So how do I do that?”

“Practice, practice, and MORE practice!” Jennifer thought she sounded a little too excited at THAT too. “Now you CAN levitate things however you use far too much force. An apt comparison would be using a sledgehammer to squeeze juice from an apple. You’ll get the juice, but you’ll make an awful big mess at the same time.” Trotting over to a little box Twilight nudged it open with her nose. “These are spheres made of solidified mana! They can be bent, broken, smashed, squashed and torn into a thousand little bitty pieces and instant SNAP back into shape. Go ahead and take one.”

Jen stood and moved to the box to do so but Twilight blocked her path. “Up bup! From over there.”

“Oh! Right…” Retaking her seat Jen focused on the balls within the box. Slowly her horn flared to life with its forest green aura and the box began to shiver…then the entire thing rocketed into the air and smashed into the ceiling. Miraculously the box fell to the floor unharmed and three mushy looking spheres hung in her magic, spheres that were rapidly being compressed to a thin almost two dimensional line.

“Close! Only take ONE of the balls. Drop the other two while maintaining your grip on the first.”

Jen narrowed her eyes doing her best to comply with Twilight’s instructions. Squinting hard at the field with the three suspended magic globs her field began to compress at first just squishing the balls together. Sweat was beginning to bead on her forehead as she practically glared at the offenders. With a soft pop first one, then the other fell to the ground leaving one very flat ball squeezed in her magic. “Ha!”

“Very good Jennifer! Excellent. Now relax your grip so the ball returns to its normal state.”

Biting her lower lip she worked on doing as instructed. Her aura began to fade as the ball slowly relaxed. “Easy peasy!” As soon as she finished the second word the field brightened again squishing the ball flat. “…hmph.”

Twilight laughed lightly. “It’s alright Jennifer. You’ll get the hang of it. The ball is yours to keep. Practice with it in your free time alright? When you can pick it up without crushing it flat as a pancake we’ll work on making it more complicated alright?”
“Sure thing Twilight. Should I just take it with me?”

The little unicorn nodded cheerily. “Mmhm! I ordered them specifically to act as a teaching aid for you. Oh and don’t worry!” She floated a thick book into Jen’s lap. “You have normal studies to do too!”

Jen glanced at the cover. “Basic Magical Theorem and Application by…was the author’s name really Dry Lecture?”

“Oh yes! He has some of the best, most informative texts on the field of magic!”

Taking a deep breath the girl gave a nod and stood, book in hand ball in her magical field. “Well I should go get started on this exciting bit of reading! Thanks Twilight Sparkle. I’ll come by when I got the hang of this ball alright?”
“Alright. Have a good night Jennifer, and sleep well!”

With a little smile Jen stepped out of the library. It’d gotten late and the streets were more or less empty as she made her about the quiet town. She idly considered floating the book before her eyes to read as she walked but all that’d result in was a flat, exploded, or shredded book and Twilight likely wouldn’t appreciate that.

Knowing Granny Smith, Applebloom and more often than not Applejack were all early to go to bed she entered the farm house quietly. Big Mac was sprawled on the sofa by the hearth, a cheery fire already burning and warming the house. Without a word Jen plopped down next to the big stallion on the free cushion. He had his small work table unfolded before himself laden with all manner of receipts, bills, and invoices.

Neither said a word for a while. Jen had let the ball fall into her lap and switched to the book. It was about as engaging as she’d expected. “Jeez I can’t believe someone could make magic boring.”

She was rewarded with a chuckle from her companion. “In mah experience unicorns by an’ large do their best t’make everything boring.”

The girl gasped a bit and shoved his shoulder. “That’s not very nice.”

“S’pose not. Don’t make it not true.” He glanced at her from the corner of his eye. “Still no sleepin’?”

Poking her nose back into the book she shrugged. “Don’t see the point really. I have heaps of stuff to be studying and I’m not missing sleep. Shouldn’t YOU be in bed?”

“Nope. Someone’s gotta see t’the financin’ matters ‘round th’farm. AJ dropped outta school early on an Granny…well Granny’s gettin’ on in years. Ah s’pose Applebloom c’n take over if’n she sticks around. Smart filly like her could do good for herself anywhere really.”

The conversation wasn’t conducive to focusing on the book, but Jen wasn’t complaining. “I don’t see her going far from home.”

“Mm.” Silence reigned for a time and she went back to her book. Even managing to get through a few pages before she realized Macintosh was staring at her.

“Er…what?”

“What madeja decide t’stay. Here Ah mean, away from yer own family.”

Jennifer was frowning now. “Suppose I don’t have much of a family to miss. I mean my dad loves me, I know that but he’s always working. Always. He was home for maybe two of my birthdays and three or four Christmases. Mom was around less and I’m pretty sure she did NOT love me.” She half expected the family oriented stallion to comment there but he was quiet, content to let her speak. “Only other family is my uncle. I know he loves me too but he’s not exactly a people person.”

“No friends?”

“Nope.” She smirked imitating one of his favorite words which drew a bit of a smile from him. “None that’re human anyway. I kept to myself in school. Not a lot of kids in my neighborhood. I do miss some things, meat especially but everything I left behind I’ve just gained so much more y’know?”

“S’pose when ya put it like that a fella can hardly blame ya.”

“Sure I’ve almost been killed twice, but I haven’t regretted my decision once.” Hearing no more questions she cracked the book again. She passed several nights this way in the last few weeks. Big Macintosh was something of a night owl, staying up late to work on business around the farm while the fillies of the family slept. He’d caught her sneaking out a couple times before she confided the source of her energy to him. While concerned he was content to let her make her own choices and mistakes.

Papers tidied and filed away properly he finally rose with a stretch. “Night then.”

“Night Mac. See ya tomorrow.”

“Eeyup.”

Jen always marveled at how such a big guy could move so quietly on hooves over a hardwood floor but he managed to get upstairs and around the hall with barely a sound. She made her own way upstairs once the fire had died down, finishing the first chapter in her bed by the light of her horn. By the time she’d forced herself through the chapter she could hear Applejack stirring before sun up as always. Figuring it was a good a time as any to get ready for her early tutoring session she slipped into the hall toward the bathroom, getting a surprised glance from the mare.

“Figgered Ah’d have ta buck ya outta bed this morning’. Getting’ AB up ain’t gonna be a hoot.”

“I’ll get her. You go on down and do whatever it is you do at this ungodly hour.” She gave the farm pony a nudge toward the stairs as she cracked the family fillies’ door. Hearing the ‘good luck’ tossed her way from the departing mare. At first she just gave the slumbering filly a gentle shake. “Hey Applebloom, time to get up.”

All her gentle ministrations got was a filly who was burrowing more firmly beneath her covers. “We’ll do it the hard way if you want to?” When Applebloom clapped her hooves over her pillow tugging it firmly over her own head Jen sighed and scooped her up ignoring the squawk of protest.

Carrying the weakly squirming filly to the bathroom Jen plopped her in the tub and turned the shower on. Now she got a much stronger reaction as the cold water splashed over her fur Applebloom gave a little shriek and recoiled away from the water.

Jen was grinning ear to ear as she finally joined her in the shower once the water heated up. “Well good morning Applebloom! Ready for some early learning?”

“How in th’hay are y’all wide awake already? That just ain’t fair! Even Applejack likes a cup a’coffee in the mornin’.”
“It’s a human thing. Don’t sweat it. And you’re already learning something. You learned that if you drag your hooves you get a cold shower wake up.”

Jen heard the tell-tale swish of filly-tail preparing to snap but she didn’t react fast enough and got a sharp crack across her backside for her teasing. “Hey I’m very seriously injured you know!”

The little filly grunted and rolled her eyes, before she actually got a look at the horrible bruises and cuts lining the girls’ skin. “A-ah’m sorry Jenny Ah didn’t realize y’all were so roughed up!”

Jen winked down at her. “Gotcha. It looks worse than it is. But don’t poke me around the middle…that’s about as bad as it looks.”

Their usual morning game was somewhat more tame than usual but both were clean and (one of them) dressed as they made their way downstairs to a simple breakfast of oatmeal. Applebloom was a bit more subdued than usual on their walk to school, but she seemed to be perking up quick enough.

Cheerilee true to her word was already inside arranging her lessons for the day. “Good morning girls! I wasn’t expecting you too Applebloom but it’s nice to see you. Let’s get started hm?”

It really wasn’t as bad as either girl was expecting. And being able to talk to their teacher in a one on one setting was making the elusive fractions far easier to understand. After just an hour both had a much firmer grasp on the concepts. “You’re making wonderful progress the both of you. Why don’t you go outside for a little bit before everypony else shows up.”

Leaving their things at their desks they went out back to the daycare. Applebloom was as awake as usual by now. “Alright! Let’s get started Jenny! Ah’m gonna start fixin’ up this old staircase. Think y’can get the backrooms cleaned out?”
“Sure thing boss!” The elder girl grinned at the little filly’s commanding tone, but took it with good grace. This was Applebloom’s area of expertise after all. Taking up a broom one of the fillies had left against the wall Jen got to work sweeping years of dust from the back. There were several rooms off the hall back there. “Maybe a reading room…or a study room for the foals who wanna do homework…”

Musing quietly to herself she worked the broom in slow easy brushes. Her aching ribs twinged a little in protest but she shrugged it off. Three of the four back rooms had been cleaned by the time the sun had begun its rise into the sky courtesy of the far off princess of the Crystal Empire. She could hear students begin the trickle into school but she wanted that last room done. Nudging the door open she stopped at the entrance way.

There against the far wall was a large SOMEthing under a moldering old sheet. The room was dimly lit and casting unpleasant shadows. What was really unsettling was the feel of the room. It felt…cold. Cold and oppressive. Scowling at her childishness Jen stepped closer to the shrouded object. Tentatively she reached the broom handle out to the sheet, hooking it and tugging it off. She gasped when it fell away.

There in the corner of the room was a stone statue. A very familiar stone statue. It was the alicorn from the garden. The stone was chipped here and there, and one of the wings was missing but it was undeniably the same superiorly aloof look on the sculpted mares’ stony visage. “Hey Applebloom!”

It took a moment for the filly to get to the back having worked her way up most of the stairs. “What’s up Jenny? Wh…who the hay is THAT?”

Jen shrugged frowning thoughtfully. “I dunno. Would you run and get Miss Cheerilee for me?”

Seeming all too eager to be away from the room and statue Applebloom was dashing away as fast as her little legs would carry her. Only one set of hoof steps returned. “Jennifer? Is something the matter? Applebloom seemed pretty spoo-oh goodness what in Celestia’s name?!”

Now Jennifer was confused. It was giving her a slightly creepy feeling but her teacher looked absolutely horrified. “Miss Cheerilee? What is it? Do you know who this is?”

Shaking her head rapidly the school pony backed away. “N-no I do not Jennifer. But there is something…very WRONG with that statue. Can’t you feel it?”

Jen frowned turning back to regard it, arms crossed across her chest. “Hrm. It’s not pleasant looking I’ll give you that. And it feels a little creepy…but I mean…it’s just a statue.”

“I…y-yes of course! You’re right I don’t know what came over me.” Despite her words the mare still looked skittish. “I suggest you get rid of it before any of the other foals come across it. This isn’t the sort of thing that fosters a healthy environment for them. You can be tardy to class while you find something to do with it.”

“Hm. Well no reason to wait.” Jen focused her energy into her horn and out at the statue. It wasn’t very heavy at all really and lifted easily in her mental grip. Like always she was holding far too hard and cracks began to form in seconds. Soon the statue was cracking and crumbling to rubble that Jen swept from the room and out into the yard behind her almost-ready daycare. “There, problem solved.”

“Yes! Well you certainly handled that nice and quick. Let’s get to class hm? I’m sure Applebloom and her friends would love to help you this afternoon in finishing up.”

Jen followed her teacher back to the school house proper and took her seat. Usually she could sit through the day’s lessons without any trouble but there was so much going on all of a sudden. She could be practicing her magic or finishing up the daycare. Stuck behind a school desk for six hours was almost tortuous by comparison.

Normally she was more reserved when the final bell would ring, but not so today. Jen was on her feet and running for the door like the rest of the students. Unlike the bulk of them she veered off for her daycare trailing only a little behind the Crusaders. She could already hear Applebloom giving her cohorts instructions.

“Um Jennifer can I help?”

Jen blinked down at the little voice piping up at her side. It was Dinky, the little unicorn filly looking up at her with big eyes. Smiling she knelt down. “Sure if you want to. We’re not playing in there though it’s hard work.” She assumed. Her contribution had been sweeping thus far.

Dinky bobbed her head eagerly. “I really do! I wanna help!”

With a smile Jen led the way. “Hey Applebloom! Can you find something for Dinky to do?”

“Well sure! Why don’t y’all c’mon up Dinky! Ah could use somepony t’hold th’nails while Ah do th’hammerin! Ah sent Scootaloo and Sweetie out t’pick up s’more supplies.”

Brow furrowed Jen walked to the bottom of the stairs as Dinky eagerly charged up them to get at Applebloom’s side. “Applebloom…where’d you guys get the money for this?”

“Oh! From the Mayor a’course. Didn’t Ah tell y’all about th’bits she sent for ya t’spruce the place up?”

“Uh…no. You did not.” Jen deadpanned, hands on her hips.

“Oh! Musta forgot! Well Ah just sent th’last of it off with th’girls anyhow so Ah s’pose it don’t matter none anymore anyhow right?” She offered a small smile seeing the growing frustration brewing on her friend’s face.

Taking a deep breath to keep from exploding Jen had to admit it was money well invested. Provided the upstairs wasn’t absolutely ruined. “As long as we can finish the job Applebloom, otherwise your sister might need to hear about this. You shouldn’t have spent that money without asking.” ‘And the mayor certainly shouldn’t have left it in the care of Ponyville’s most notorious mischief makers.’ She thought.

“Sorry Jenny! We just wanted t’surprise ya is all.”

Dinky was looking from one to another worriedly as they argued, holding a nail between her forehooves timidly. Jen let the breath out before finally nodding. “Alright. You just gotta work EXTRA hard to make every little bit count right?”

Seeing the danger had passed Applebloom perked back up. “Don’t worry the Cutie Mark Crusaders got this covered! Oh and uh…Dinky Doo too.” She added for their visitors benefit.

With a last nod to the working fillies Jen dropped her pack on her soon-to-be desk and drew out her practice ball tossing it into the air and snagging it with her magic. She was mostly just massaging it with her aura to get a feel for holding objects. With the ball warping and stretching overhead she reclaimed her broom and went to work sweeping out the rest of that last room.

Floors, walls and ceilings cleaned of dust and cobwebs Jen moved on to the mopping. This place had to sparkle! She could hear the other crusaders coming and going, unloading a LOT of supplies she hoped. Little hooves tapping the floor behind her drew her attention. Dinky was carefully floating a scrub brush and entering the room behind Jennifer, vigorously scrubbing any spots too stubborn to be swept up by Jen’s mop. The older girl envied the fillies’ obvious control over her magic.

“All done helping Applebloom?”

She nodded. “Mmhm! The stairs are all done and the crusaders moved onto the rest of the upstairs. I wanted to come down and help you though.”

With a smile Jen ruffled the filly’s mane. “Thanks Dinky. It hurts too much to bend over just now so you’re a huge help.” Jen couldn’t help but smile at the adorable filly’s tongue sticking out of her mouth as she worked to scrub a particularly bothersome spot.

Four fillies and one human worked their afternoon away while their fellows were out playing or getting up to whatever it was little ponies got up to. A few times Jen was tempted to go investigate the heavy hammering and sawing she’d hear upstairs but just looking about she could tell the building was in good hooves.

“Well I think we can’t get these floors any cleaner Dinky. Let’s see how the crusaders are doin' upstairs.” She led the way up the stairs, admiring how sturdy the rail was. It was her first time in the second floor. She was surprised to find a small kitchen appliances included. There was a bathroom down a short hall and what looked like a small study across from it. At the end of the hall was a larger room used for a bedroom if the moldering old bed was an indicator. The trio of fillies were in the midst of gleefully destroying the ruined furniture for transportation to the trash.

“Well fillies, I think this daycare is JUST about ready for business.”

Four little cheers rose up before Sweetie Belle tilted her head. “What’s missing?”

With a smile Jen made her way back downstairs. “Pinkie picked this up for me from the Sofa and Quill this morning and snuck it over while you girls were working so hard.” Happily she picked up…

“It’s a big piece’a wood.”

“A big FLAT piece of wood.”

“A big flat blank piece of wood.”

“It’s a sign!”

Jen nodded proudly to Dinky. “Yup! It’s not just ANY sign. It’s OUR sign. We built this place so it belongs to all of us. So let’s get to painting it!” Jennifer too the lead on THIS part of the project, gently directing the fillies and keeping an eye to make sure it’s looking tidy. When the base was applies she took over in bright letters painted across the sign.

Stay and Play Daycare

“Now! The final step!” With a smile she stuck her hands in the baby blue paint and planted them at the bottom of the sign beneath the name, leaving two perfect handprints. Not wanting to be left out the fillies all took a color and the hands were soon joined by four pairs of hoof prints.

Soon the new sign hung above the door, pronouncing the building open for business. Two excited crusaders and one little unicorn departed leaving Jen and Applebloom to clean up. “You know we’ll be up and running probly by the end of the week.”

“Well great! Ah bet everypony’s gonna have lotsa fun in here pretty soon.” The filly beamed proudly.

Nodding slowly Jen stepped outside shutting the door behind them. “You know this is all thanks to you right?”

“Aw shucks t’weren’t nothin’. Side’s it wasn’t just me Sweetie an Scootaloo helped out, an Dinky too!”

Kneeling down and resting a hand on the filly’s back Jen swept her hand out to the suddenly like new building. “Just take a minute and REALLY look Applebloom. This is your hard work sitting right here. All we did was whatever YOU told us to. This is all you.”

Frowning gently Applebloom seemed about to protest again before she turned again to look at the building. She rose to her hooves and slowly trotted up resting a forehoof against the door. “Y’know? Ah reckon this IS somethin’ ta be proud of…ain’t it?”

Jen winced at the sudden flash of light coming from the filly’s flanks. When she looked again adorning each side of Applebloom was the symbol of a crossed hammer and saw. Seeing the filly’s eyes growing huge with wonder, the girl just smiled. “I reckon it is.”