• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,760 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,760

Chapter 14: Romance and History

Chapter 14: Romance and History

The train rolled in with its usual piercing screech, jarring Jen from her sleep. With a stretch she rolled off the bunk landing with a ‘thunk’ on her hooves. It took a moment to work the compartment handle open with a hoof (she still wasn’t too keen on putting her mouth all over everything), grabbed her bag and slung it across her back. Thusly equipped she joined the throng of ponies departing the train.

She drew her share of looks in Canterlot still, but for more than one reason. She was known as Jubilant Surprise among the ponies of the capital city, Princess Luna’s student and often times weekend advisor to the night court. Most of the elite ponies were not big fans of hers, whereas the more common laborer ponyfolk made it a point to angle for their court dates to fall on a weekend day. She still bore a painfully blank flank, something extremely unusual in a pony her age. And she seemed to have a habit of shifting from tribe to tribe, including the much misunderstood night pony clan.

Of course there was one member of the Canterlot elite who was always glad to see her, and the feeling was very much mutual. A wide smile split her muzzle as she spotted Fancy waiting on the platform for her. “What’re you doing here? You don’t have some giant charity whatever to be hosting?”

Her friend’s rich laugh drew a few curious looks from some of the other ponies on the platform. “And a pleasure to see you this evening Jennifer. Why yes I AM well and yourself?”

She grinned at his ribbing and the pair stepped off the platform onto the streets. “It’s nice to see you of course, just a surprise. You’ve never been at the platform waiting for me before.”

He gave a little nod. “True enough. I wished to catch you before you got engrossed with your duties to the princess. You may recall the little soiree I had to cancel to attend your festival?”

“Uhh…yeah! I do actually.”

“Well it’s been rescheduled for tomorrow evening. I’d be delighted if you could find the time to attend.”

Generally she went out of her way to expose herself to most of the Canterlot elite, but she’d wanted to see her friend’s place in the city for a while now. “Uh…I can probly get away for a few hours. Luna’s usually busy when she first wakes up anyway. We don’t tend to get down to business til like midnight or so.”

“Wonderful! And feel free to bring a friend as well. Perhaps a certain filly you seem to be in the company of most of the time you’re in our fair city hmm?” He eyed her with a playful smile.

Jen for her part blushed furiously, the exact reaction he was angling for. “Actually that’s a good idea. I was uh, trying to think of someplace nice to take her this weekend.”

The older stallion sighed dramatically. “Ah to be young and in love again.”

This caused a bout of incredulous sputtering from the filly at his side, but he was laughing again to show he was joking. “H-hmph. You’re hilarious. Speaking of being in love, is RARITY going to be there?”

It was the debonair stallion’s turn to blush now, though it was far less noticeable than Jennifer’s. “She is as a matter of fact. As my guest.”

“Juuuuust a guest?”

He was quiet for a few minutes as they walked, drawing a curious look from his companion. “How well do you know Miss Rarity, Jennifer?”

“Mmm. Dunno. Not as good as like, her close friends like Fluttershy and Twilight but I’ve spent some time with her I guess. Why?”

“I find myself at a bit of a loss in regards to how to approach ah…courting her. At first glance she seems like any other mare one could find in Canterlot, but she’s not from Canterlot. She was born and raised in Ponyville. She has much deeper layers to her character than many of the flighty and irreverent ladies one can find amongst my peers.”

Jen’s tail twitched a bit, a sure sign she was thinking deeper than she tended to on a subject. “Well. You don’t have to do anything to impress her, she goes on and on and ON about the time she first met you. The Wonderbolts derby, which I’ve never been invited to…” This drew a smile from the stallion, and a mental note in his head to get her tickets. “The yacht parties and stuff. She loved those things but she also loves picnics with her friends. And her pet play-day with that awful cat of hers when they all bring their pets to the park. She does her best to not show that side of herself but there’s a bit of country girl in her.”

“I suppose it makes sense given she’s lived her entire life in a rural town like Ponyville.”

The filly nodded. “Yeah. And she’s a lot tougher than she looks. The stuff with Nightmare Moon and those diamond dog guys and everything. I guess she is a lot deeper than she seems at first. But you gotta remember she’s the element of generosity right? I mean all my clothes here came from her and she refused payment for any of it. But y’know you’re a really nice guy too. You got us those cool frames for that silly picture I made, and somepony anonymously donated a pretty big chunk of change to Ponyville to aid toward the festival. I have NO idea who that coulda been.”

Fancy Pants chuckled softly. “That transparent am I?”

“Eh besides Mr. Rich there was only one rich dude who knew about the festival. And Mr. Rich wasn’t subtle about the bits he was throwing around to make sure it would be a big affair.”

“Yes he’s a good fellow isn’t he?”

Another nod from the filly. “Yeah. I actually went into business with him and Mr. Silver. They wanna open Stay and Play’s in Manehattan and Fillydelphia. Just signed all the paperwork the other day.”

“Is that so? Well maybe you’ll be hosting a high class dinner party of your own soon hm?” He chuckled good naturedly and she laughed along with him.

“I doubt a few daycares are gonna make me rich. But it’s nice to think about huh? …though I guess you DON’T have to think about it since you know what it’s like.”

“Quite right. Though at times I consider giving it all up you know? My fortune is all inherited from…I don’t know my many greats grandfather. I see ponies like Miss Applejack and Miss Rarity. Ponies like YOU Jennifer, making your own way in the world and often I wonder what that must be like. How satisfying might it be to truly work for ones oats? To create something your own hooves.”

“So why don’t you?”

He was quite for a time as he mulled over his answer. “Fear of the unknown I suppose? I can host an excellent get together. I’ve a way of diffusing tense situations with a few choice words. I’m not especially skilled in magic. I was quite the fencer in my day though! I entertained joining the guard once or twice but…what’s the point when you think about it? If there’s a threat the princesses can’t handle I doubt a regular pony like myself would do much good.”

That was a good point, and something Jen herself had been pondering for a while. “I think this actually falls into the category of ‘problems over my head’.” She gave him a bit of a self-depreciating grin.

Fancy merely scoffed. “You underestimate yourself Jennifer. Perhaps you don’t have a world view tempered by a few extra years but you’ve a good head on your shoulders. And sometimes it helps to simply talk about one’s problems with a friend hm?” Jen’s pace had been slowing more and more until they were practically shuffling along. “I don’t suppose something’s bothering YOU hm?”

She huffed. “It’s Echo. I like her, a lot. But I dunno if I LIKE like her y’know?”

“Aha. I suppose it’s a bit trickier with your prior friendship. You worry that if you don’t feel the same way about her that she does you, she won’t wish to remain friends?”

Jen kicked a stone across the sidewalk, wings flexing in agitation. “Yeah. Where I come from, my world that is…it’s kinda frowned upon. Two uh, fillies being intimate.”

Her friend quirked a brow at that. “Is it? How very odd. Why on earth would anypony care about such a thing?”

“I think religion mostly? I dunno I never really cared enough about the topic to really look into it. Back home I was always a bit of a loner. Once Pinkie left I got even more withdrawn. I never really thought about dating ANYone, let alone if I preferred guys or girls.”

“So perhaps some of your hesitation is based on a sense of…taboo…from your old world?”

“Yeah. That’s it exactly. I talked to Fluttershy about this and she said she thinks what’s on the inside is a lot more important than out. If I could see myself spending my life with the other person than colt, filly, unicorn, pegasus…pony or griffon. Whatever. None of that mattered. All that matters is love.” She laughed. “Kinda corny.”

“Perhaps. But Fluttershy sounds like a very intelligent young mare. All I can add is that you most assuredly would face no prejudice here about dating another filly. In fact I think the only curious looks you’d get are choosing a night pony as your mmm…companion.” He was about to say ‘mate’ but Jen seemed skittish as it was.

She smiled a little now. “Thanks Fancy.” Even at the snail’s pace they had eventually reached the castle. “I should go drop my bag off and stuff. Um…do I need to dress up for the party?”

“You don’t have to. You certainly won’t be stopped at the door; though it’s traditional for a high society party for the guests to come dressed in their best.”

“Alright. I’ll see if Luna has something for me to wear. I should probly be like, dressing nice when I sit with her in court anyway? I’ll have to talk to Rarity when I get home Sunday.” Exchanging goodbyes the pair split, Jen making her way into the palace. The night guard was in the process of taking their posts and each had a friendly word to say to the visiting filly. She’d been making it a habit to wander the palace and learn as many of their names as she could.

Politely refusing several offers to carry her bags she just made her way to her usual room. It was always waiting for her; Luna kept it free all week long in case she made a surprise weekday visit. Of course with her job and various lessons back home that hadn’t happened just yet. Casually tossing her bag on the bed she checked the time. Luna would probably be getting breakfast about now.

Trotting down to the dining room sure enough the princess was seated at the table, eyeing the huge stack of waffles with quiet dismay. “They will not stop serving me these every evening, no matter how I protest. Apparently I very emphatically declared my love for them your first visit here.”

Jen just stuck her tongue out and took a seat next to the princess. “Serves you right for tricking me like that. I almost had a heart attack.” Awkwardly scooping a small stack of the waffles onto a plate of her own she took the syrup pitcher in her mouth, leaving a small trail along the table as she brought tit over and poured the bulk of its contents on the plate, flooding it with the sticky substance.

Luna watched the entire display with a raised brow, her fork levitated halfway toward her mouth which was hanging open a bit. “…are you well Jennifer?”

Eyeing her old foe, the fork she looked from it to her hoof then sighed. “M’fine. I’m officially in pegasus tribe training! So…no changing unless it’s an emergency.” Her wings flared a little as if to punctuate her statement and she gave up trying to grip the fork with her hoof, settling instead to just eat off the plate with her face. Much to the attending servants’ dismay.

The princess had to work very hard to keep from laughing at the young pony’s clumsy eating method. “Perhaps you should ask your more adept pony friends how to use your hooves properly soon?” She had resumed eating in her far more refined manner.

Swallowing a huge mouthful and doing her best to lick the syrup from the fur around her muzzle Jen shrugged. “Yeah probly a good idea.”

Eyeing her student’s wings she smiled gently. “I see you have learned to care for your wings.”

Nodding eagerly now she grinned. “Yeah! Me and Fluttershy did a preening. It was pretty awesome.” Slurping down most of a glass of orange juice (the rest spilling as she lifted the cup with just her mouth), she looked at Luna thoughtfully. “Who does yours?”

“My wings?” Luna spread her own, far more impressive appendages wide. “Typically I tend to them myself. When our schedules allow Celestia and I would preen one another. I am told she would do it with Cadence as well when I was away. Magic makes it a little easier to reach the feathers my teeth can’t.” She shot the filly a wink.

Jen giggled. “Makes sense.” Tongue sticking out in concentration she slowly placed her hooves on either side of a donut, gently lifting the pastry to her mouth. “Have you ever heard of the Order of Harmony?”

“Of course. Though I have not heard anypony mention it in…my…it must have been centuries since they were disbanded.”

“Why’d they break up?”

The princess gave a very dismissive shrug. A bit too dismissive in Jen’s opinion. “It was so long ago I surely cannot remember. Why the interest in a long dead order of knights?”

In response Jennifer just lifted the leg bearing Mercy and rested it on the table.

“Ah of course. Your bond with your weapon has been growing steadily has it not? How many runes can you call upon?”

Jen’s wings ruffled proudly now. “The first four. I can’t cut good guys, I can shield myself, I can shield other people, and I can summon Heart at will. Though the last one really takes it outta me. Just two left and I’ll have learned em all. Heart says that there used to be a way to add a new rune but it was lost or something. I was wondering if you had any books on the order I could look at.”

A long pause before Luna eventually answered. “I do. I will let the guard know you are to be given access to the Starswhirl wing in the royal library. That is where all books on the Order of Harmony are stored.”

Jen tilted her head. “As in Starswhirl the bearded? The old unicorn dude Twilight is crazy about?”

With a little chuckle Luna rose from her cushion. “The very same. He was a founding member of the order.”

Now Jen’s interest was piqued. “Really? What was he like?”

Another laugh now. “A true rapscallion. Any moment he did not have his nose buried in some book or another he was trying to woo another filly to his chambers. He was quite the charmer from what I have heard. Of course he was an amazing sorcerer. Go to the library and fetch a book. You can study on the order while we hear the petitioners tonight hm?”
Nodding eagerly Jen was off. She hadn’t actually been in the library much but she knew where it was. The guard stopped her at the gated Starswhirl wing however. “Sorry Jubilant butcha know this is off limits.”

She grinned though. Some used her human name, some her pony. More often than not in Canterlot it was her pony name. “Princess Luna gave me permission. You can check with her if you like.”

He nodded to his fellow guard who flapped off toward the throne room. “Sorry I believe you but rules y’know?”

Planting her rump on the floor she shrugged. “No biggie. I wouldn’t want you guys getting in trouble cause I wanna read an old book.”

“Whatcha lookin’ for in there anyway? No offense but Starswhirl's magic is a bit above most filly’s pay grade, even students of the princess.”

“A book on an old order of knights. My sword was made for one of them, and I guess Starswhirl was one of the founding ponies of the order. Luna says there’re a few books about it in here.”

The guard, Jen recognized him as Sky Shredder winced at her informal use of Luna’s name. “I gotcha. And uh…Lady Luna…please.”

She just gave him a ‘really?’ look but shrugged as he shuffled uncomfortably. “D’you know where Echo is? She usually meets me at the station.”

“Cadet Echo? She’s on leave. Half shifts cause of the wing? It takes a long time for our wings to heal if something happens to them. She’ll be good as new in a few more weeks. Word is her mom’s keeping her on a tight leash.”

It then occurred to the girl that she had NO idea where Echo lived. “Does she live nearby? I’d like to visit.”

He shifted again. “Well…I mean she DOES. Lady Luna had us settle in the crystal caverns below the city once they were rediscovered. There’s an entrance in the castle gardens our lady uses when she visits. You’d need an escort though; it can be confusing for newcomers down there.”

With a smirk she hmm’d. “Well you don’t look too busy. Or does it really take two of you guys to guard a wing in the library? Get a lot of burglars in here?”

“Just one in the six years I’ve been assigned to this post. Ask Lady Luna if it’s alright and I’ll be happy to show you around.”
His partner returned soon and Jennifer was admitted into the sealed library wing, Sky Shredder at her side. “You have to be very careful in here. Some of these books are older than the princesses themselves.”

Jen carefully stepped away from a shelf she was about to examine. “So where d’you think a book on an ancient order of knights would be?”

The guard shrugged. “Eh…history? We’re not exactly magic users so don’t have a lot of call to come in here.” He led his charge around the room to a shelf clearly labeled History, and both went to work. “What exactly are we looking for?”

“Anything on the Order of Harmony.”

“Huh. Neat name.” They searched in silence for a little while. The shelf stretched on for some ways. Sky Shredder examining the upper shelves while Jen took the lower.

Almost the very last shelf (of course), Jen shouted in excitement. “I found them!” The night pony landed beside her and his wail of alarm when she moved to grip one of the books with her mouth nearly gave her a heart attack. Blushing furiously she returned to her mostly human form and delicately took a pair of the old tomes. One simply labeled “The Founding of the Order” And the other, a much smaller book called “The Arms of Harmony”.

“Sorry about uh…shrieking in your ear Jubilant. Just y’know…ancient books…not for handling with the mouth. We usually only get unicorns in here.”

With an apologetic smile she held them close to her chest while her wings folded over her front half to preserve some modesty. “No it’s my fault, I wasn’t thinking. Let’s get these back to my room then we can go see Echo.”

She practically sprinted the path from the library back to her room. Her escort stopped off in the throne room for the needed permissions to leave his post for a time. By the time Jen returned, back in pegasus form he was waiting for her at the doors. “Lady Luna has approved the request; let’s get down to the caverns huh?”

Jen was prancing at his side excitedly. “I’ve always wanted to see where you guys lived. I pictured like…you all sleeping upside down in a bell tower somewhere.”

This brought a curious look from the night stallion. “No…we live in regular homes. Well I guess not so regular since they’re carved out of crystal but still. Guess that’s normal up at the empire though huh?” He laughed a little.

“Yeah I’ve heard a little about it. Supposed to be really beautiful. I’m gonna try and get up there soon t’check it out.”

Another pair of night guards was posted in front of a large pair of doors set into the ground in the garden. At a word from Sky Shredder they pulled them open revealing a staircase sloping down. “Huh, guess you need light or something.”

With a little sigh Jen tapped her night charm, her coat and mane darkening, eyes altering and wings shedding their feathers in favor of the bat shape of a night pony. She’d already broken her ‘no changing’ rule once today, twice wasn’t gonna kill her. “Nope!”

“Huh. Didn’t know you could do that too. Well let’s get going then.” They began their descent. It was pretty dark but not pure darkness like Jen expected. Little shafts of light would poke through the ceiling above here and there providing enough illumination to her darkness sensitive eyes that she could see almost as clearly as if she’d been up in the bright moonlight.

As they made their way off the staircase and into the proper caverns, Jennifer thought it was a reflection of any normal pony town. Cheerful little homes were carved right from massive stalactites and stalagmites. Whether their homes came from the ground or ceiling didn’t seem to deter the bat winged ponies darting here and there. Some market stalls were set up with ponies selling fruit or crafts. Jen heard the whispers begin once the residents began to notice her. Odd coloring aside the shield she always wore everywhere made her easy to identify as Luna’s student. The night pony tribe held Luna in an almost deific level of reverence, and a little of that awe transferred to the filly their lady had chosen as her personal protégé.
“So whaddo you guys call your town?”

The stallion shrugged while leading her through the smoothed down crystal lanes of the underground town. “We don’t really have a name for it. We just call it the Crystal Caverns. It’s not so much a town as another district of Canterlot really.”

“That makes sense I guess.” They stopped before one of the large stalactites descending from the ceiling. Craning her neck upward Jen could make out a door and little windows carved into the surface of the crystal. “Er…think I could get a boost? I dunno how to fly yet.”

Sky Shredder tilted his head. “It’s not like pegasus flying, just beat your wings and up you go.”

The young night pony spread her wings and gave them a couple experimental flaps. “Faster, y’gotta beat em fast or you’re not gonna get any lift.”

Jaw set firmly Jennifer began to flap harder. She gasped a little as her hooves rose off the ground just a little. “Keep going, you’re doin it!” The burn of a heavily exercised muscle was starting to form in her wings but she pushed through the pain, eyes focused on the open doorway of Echo’s home. It was so close! She stretched her forehooves out and used them to heave herself onto the little ledge before the doorway, letting her wings fall limply at her sides.

“Pretty good. Though we usually get ourselves a running jump to get going. Makes it a lot easier.” He was grinning as he gave her the tip after its usefulness had passed.

Rolling her eyes Jen raised a hoof and knocked on the outer wall where a door would be. A night pony mare soon appeared regarding her with a frown. “Why in the world are you banging on my wall?”

Jen stepped back hastily almost slipping over the ledge before remembering where she was. “Ack! S-sorry ma’am I’m uh, Echo’s friend? Is she home?”

Now the older pony took a moment to really look Jen over, eyes widening as she took in the green coat and unique shield on her foreleg. “O-oh of course. Please come in I’m so sorry for my rudeness.”

With a look to Sky Shredder she followed the mare inside. “No I didn’t know the rules for um…knocking? I’m use to there being doors on the doorways of houses usually.” She laughed nervously.

“Hm? Oh yes I see. We don’t have to worry about the temperature in the caverns and usually the only reason one of us would go to another’s home is if we needed something specific or were invited. No real reason for doors here.”

“Huh. That’s actually kinda nice really. Echo wasn’t at the train station to meet me so I was a little worried.”

“She’s been trying to fly a lot the last few days and it’s putting extra strain on her recovering wing. If she doesn’t stop she might even unset the bone again and have to start all over. I’m Shimmer Gloom, Echo’s mother by the way.”

“Ooo that’s a pretty awesome name. I’m Jen. Or Jubilant I guess. Whichever you prefer.” Jen could see the resemblance. They had the same dark gray coat and purple mane, but Shimmer Gloom’s had a more lustrous quality to the color. Appropriately enough almost like it shimmered in the dim light of the caverns.

“I know who you are of course. Everypony down here does. I’m honored Lady Luna’s protégé is a personal friend of my daughter.” She gave Jen a little smile. “I get to brag about it when the other mother’s go on about how great their foals are.”
Most of the rooms in the home had dark curtains drawn over the entrances for privacy. Shimmer Gloom lead Jennifer up a short flight of steps carved from the crystal they made their home in, stopping at one such doorway, the curtain drawn. “Echo? You have a visitor.”

“What? Who’s visiting ME?” The filly drew the curtain aside then yelped when she spied her visitor. “Jen! What’re you doing here?”

Jen caught the excited cadet as she threw her legs around her neck in an embrace, returning it with a firm squeeze. “You weren’t at the station. I wanted to see how you were doing.” Echo gently rubbed her cheek against Jennifer’s bringing a blush to the green filly’s face.

With a gentle shake of her head Echo’s mother left the pair alone. Jen looked around Echo’s room curiously. It was a lot like she’d expect of any teenager’s room back on earth. Posters up on the walls, mostly the Wonderbolts and a singer Jen recognized as Sapphire Shores. Bits of clothing were tossed haphazardly here and there, and Echo’s training armor was piled up in a corner by the doorway. Her bed was carved of solid crystal but within was a weird mushy mattress. Gingerly she pressed a hoof down and it dented inward, before slowly filling back up. “What the heck is this? A water bed?”

Echo laughed and hopped up. “We sleep on compressed shadow. Kinda like how pegasi sleep on clouds I guess? Some night pony’s can manipulate the stuff same as they do the clouds.”

“Neat.” Gingerly Jennifer climbed up settling her weight on it. It felt kinda like her dad’s memory foam bed. Super comfy though.

Echo’s wing was still sported bandages over the sight of the break but it was looking much better. “So you just came to check on me, or didja want a little alone time in my bedroom?” The cadet’s grin faded at the uneasy expression suddenly forming on Jen’s face. “H-hey I was just kidding! I know you wanna y’know…go slow.”

Twiddling her hooves Jen sighed. “Echo why d’you like…like me? I mean you know this isn’t what I really am, I can’t be really pretty to you when I’m in my real shape. I know why we’re friends. We have fun together and stuff but…why do you LIKE me?”

The young cadet frowned a little, twitching an ear toward the doorway. “Well. I guess the same reasons I like you as a friend are why I like you as my um…fillyfriend. You’re smart and funny. A-and really brave! Chasing down Discord and fighting that crazy Umbra mare. And you really care about other ponies, I can tell. You even care about us. Not many ponies do y’know? They think we’re creepy and should just be guards. They don’t like us walking around the regular city streets. But when I’m with you…I just don’t care about the looks and the whispers. You make me feel normal.” Tentatively Echo rested a forehoof over one of Jen’s. “And I think you’re beautiful. Even in your freaky naked alien body. Your mane is the same, and your eyes are the same. Your eyes never change; even now they’re the same eyes I could spend all day staring into.”

By the end Jennifer’s blush had returned full force, and she found herself inching her muzzle closer to Echo’s. The cadet needed no further prodding, pressing her lips to the other filly’s in their first mutual kiss. It was perhaps a bit on the wet side, with both fillies’ forgetting to breathe through their noses but such was the way of youthful first kisses. When they broke apart both had to take a moment to catch their breaths.

“S-sorry I’ve been so…weird. This is super new for me, I’ve never had a uh, special somepony before. And back home filly’s dating fillies is frowned on. But if you don’t mind being patient with me I’d…I’d really like to be your fillyfriend Echo.”

The cadet gave the green night pony an affectionate nuzzle against the neck. “And here I thought you already were.”

This brought a nervous laugh from Jen whose wings twitched open gently. “I guess I already was.” The two sat in silence for a time, just enjoying one another’s presence. “Ack! Sky Shredder!”

Echo wrinkled her nose in confusion. “The library guard?”

Jen nodded. “Y-yeah, he was my escort down here. He’s probly still waiting for me outside.” She clambered off the bed stumbling a bit on the floor. “I gotta get going. Oh! Tomorrow we’re going to a party at Fancy Pants’ so wear something nice!”

The filly almost bowled Shimmer Gloom over as she dashed from Echo’s room, giving a little squeak. “S-sorry ma’am…”

Echo’s wings flared. Well one of them did, the other twitched. “MoooOOOooom! Were you listening in?!”

Her mother gave a disinterested shrug. “Of course not, I was just on my way up to my own room.” She fixed Jen with a little smile. “I’ll make sure she has something appropriate to wear tomorrow night Jubilant.”

“Oh! Um…good. Thank you ma’am. I should get going. I’m sure Luna’s wondering where I am too! I’ll see you tomorrow Echo! Feel better!” The excitable filly rushed from the house meeting up with her very bored looking escort. The two of them soon on their way back to the castle proper.

***

It was a time of great turmoil for our people. The three pony tribes depended on one another for survival of course, but they would bicker and fight constantly over every minute matter they could. The pegasi held complete dominion over the weather, the unicorns controlled the moon and sun, and the earth ponies our source of food. If I live a thousand years I will never understand why the pegasi and unicorn tribes insisted on treating the earth tribe so poorly.

Though I suppose it has to do with the knowledge that they have nowhere else to go. The griffons were to the north, the dogs to the south, dragons east and apes west. In all directions we had enemies. Not just enemies but predators, creatures who would prefer to eat a pony rather than simply end his life. A terrifying prospect to the nearly powerless earth ponies. While they may possess great physical strength, it is little use against the talons of a griffon, the mighty fire of a dragon, jaws of the dogs and weapons of the apes.

Our survival stemmed from the pegasi and unicorns wielding their might to keep the many enemies of our kind at bay. Even a mighty dragon would fear the tornadoes whipped up by the pegasi. The griffons were all but at their mercy in aerial combat. They had no need to actually engage in hoof-to-claw battles when they could simply cast lightning and hail at their foes. Our ground bound foes were equally helpless against the unicorns’ magic. What use were a dogs powerful jaws or an ape’s sharp spear when they could not get near the target?

That is not to say we never suffered any losses. Pegasus wings grow weary and a unicorns mana reserves could run dry. It took many years but with a shocking inevitability earth pony villagers were consumed and lost to our enemies. Even with the feeling of superiority the mightier tribes held in regards to the earth tribe, they knew if every earth pony was gone they would soon follow by way of starvation. And so my king and the pegasus commander came together to work out a more permanent solution to our problems.

I was a humble apprentice at the time serving alongside my dearest friend Healing Touch, under Meteor Trail the royal sorcerer. So named for his still famed ‘star fall’ spell, capable of doing exactly as the name implies. Calling stars from the sky to rain havoc upon his foes. It was truly an awesome display of destructive power, but a single casting is enough to render his mana drained for days at a time. While initially the two leaders met cordially, negotiations soon fell apart. Both too headstrong and stubborn to come to an agreement. King Diamond Dust commanded our master to come up with a solution.

Meteor Trail was understandably distressed. While a powerful sorcerer he was getting on in years and was reaching the end of a very long life. He began spending all his time in his research laboratory leaving Healing Touch and myself to our own devices for the most part. It was perhaps the first time our master had given us so much free time. We of course attempted research of our own. I focused my efforts on a powerful and permanent barrier while Healing Touch sought magics to calm the fury in our enemies’ hearts.

It was one such evening Meteor Trail’s grandson, Comet Streak visited us in the library. Comet was never terribly adept at magic and had instead opted to join the military. While he never understood his grandfather’s works, he would always make it a point to check up on the old stallion. Often the only visitor he had. Such strong familial devotion was a fine trait for a pony to have I Felt, particularly among our tribe where one generally cared for their elders to the extent of how much they could help them ascend the social hierarchy. Not so with Comet Streak, his loyalty to his grandfather stemmed from a nobler place.

At Comet’s side was his shadow, the mare Silent Step. I admit I was never terribly fond of the dark unicorn…she always gave me an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Most likely due to her position as one of the king’s shadowy assassin’s. She was a mare of few words though I could tell her devotion to Comet Streak was strong. I once attempted to learn what made her choose the life she led. How she could take the life of another with barely a thought. She only shrugged and claimed “I do not do what I do for pleasure, but because it is a necessity in this dark and dreary world. My greatest hope is that one day my talents will be useless and I will be forced to find a new line of work.” An honest answer and one that I would remember for the rest of my days. But she was always like that. Spoke rarely but always directly, and often with brutal honesty.

Healing Touch cared for Silent Step far less than even I did. She was the most skilled healer in the history of our tribe, developing many new spells and techniques for the preservation of life. I suspect she saw Silent Step as her antithesis, a pony directly opposed to her very being. She kept her nose in her book studiously ignoring the militaristic pair, until one of her own friends arrived.

I myself was cheered at the sight of the royal chef. She had a pleasant demeanor that was punctuated by her overabundance of generosity. In a time of tight rationing she made a specific point to ensure that I and my fellow mages were well fed. Healing and Abundance (at times I am unsure if she is named for her generous nature or for the size of her flank, she certainly enjoyed her own works), had been friends far longer than I have known my fellow apprentice.

Of course where Abundance went her apprentice followed. The stallion was the youngest of us, barely more than a colt at the time. Aptly named Sunshine, either named for his bright yellow coat or his ability to brighten the disposition of anypony he came into contact with I am unsure. The young fellow was training to be a bard but in this dark and perilous time the need for professional song crafters was rare, and so he found himself in the employ of the royal chef.

The six of us began to converse. Healing and I glad for a reprieve from our studies, Comet and Silent having no place else to be while waiting for the audience with his grandfather, and our tower was always the last stop on Abundances’ rounds so she and Sunshine were free to relax and enjoy idle conversation for a time. Inevitably the light topics grew heavier until we finally reached the point of our own works. Neither I nor Healing Touch had heard from our master in days so we were more than a little surprised when his door banged open and he gazed down at us, (perhaps a touch wild eyed).

“You!” He exclaimed pointing vaguely at the six of us. “Come to my work room. Right away.”

I spoke first. “Whom master?”

“All of you! Don’t make me repeat myself foolish colt. Upstairs now. Straight away. All six of you.”

Exchanging confused looks we did ascend to the highest point of my master’s tower. What awaited us within nopony could have ever imagined…

“….Jubilant?”

The filly blinked up from the book in front of her hooves blinking a few times. She was seated on the cushion she always took beside Luna’s throne, The Founding of the Order open before her. Luna had assured her it was fortified with plenty of enchantments she could turn the page with a hoof or carry it in her mouth without damaging it. “What?” Was all she eloquently replied.

This drew a bit of a surprised gasp from the petitioner before the princess and her student. It was unlikely anypony heard one of their fellows address either of the princess’ so brusquely.

Luna only smiled gently however. “This is Spellweaver, one of the professors at Canterlot’s school for gifted unicorns. He has a request specifically for you.”

Jen blinked again seeming to recall where she was, and looking properly chagrined. “I’m so sorry sir. This is a uh…really good book.”

The older stallion laughed warmly bringing a smile to the nervous filly’s face. “Think nothing of it young miss; I’ve been known to get lost in a good book or two of my own. Drives the wife batty.” He tossed her a conspiratorial wink. “What may I ask has you so enraptured?”

With a quick look to the princess at her side Jen carefully closed the book and showed the cover to the professor. “It’s this old group of nights founded by Starswhirl the Bearded. My sword was made for one of them like a billion years ago and I wanted to learn more.”

This brought a grin from the old fellow. “Well that’s certainly a coincidence. I came to talk to you about your sword in fact. I was hoping you’d allow myself and a few colleagues to study it. Such powerfully enchanted objects are very rare in this day and age. The exact methods used to make them lost to us in the times of turmoil many, many years ago. Not quite a billion but close.” He chuckled.

Trepidation flicked across the filly’s features as she rested a hoof against Mercy on her arm. “O-oh I um…I dunno…it’s…special to me.”

“Well if it helps we’d like YOU to be there too. I understand you’ve formed a powerful bond with the blade, anypony with a lick of magical sense can tell that. It’d never leave your sight. And we’d not do anything to harm it.” He laughed suddenly. “I doubt we could if we wanted to. Rumor is Starswhirl himself had a hand in crafting it.”

This seemed to go a long way toward easing some of her nerves. “Well I suppose that’d be alright then. When did you wanna do it?”

“Your earliest convenience.”

She shrugged. “Tomorrow morning? I have lessons with Princess Luna after court finishes but I’m free most of the day until this thing I have to go to in the evening. I could come by whenever.”

“Wonderful! The earlier the better. Would you be able to come say seven am? I could have breakfast prepared for you.”

“Sure. I’ll see you then.”

He lowered himself into a deep bow. “Thank you for your kindness Miss Pie. And thank you for allowing me to make my request in your court princess. I wasn’t sure how to best approach your student.”

Delicately Luna inclined her head. “Think nothing of it. I am always pleased to meet my subjects personally.”

Luna turned to Jen once the professor had departed. “I take it you find the book interesting?”

Jen nodded eagerly. “Very! I was just getting to a good part too…” She not-so subtly tried to hint.

“Oh? Well then you have something to look forward too after our lessons this evening are completed.” She smiled faintly as the filly huffed. “Court is over for the night. Leave the book in your room and come to the practice hall. It is time for you to get a new bruise or two.”

Blowing a raspberry at the immortal alicorn of the night Jen trotted back to her room, tossing the book on her bed (her woefully non-shadow stuff bed), and made the short trip to the practice hall. Her custom crafted training armor sat waiting for her, and she reverted to humanoid unicorn shape to don it. While she could wield Mercy in any form, her bond was strongest with the unicorn active. Luna had told her she’d progressed far enough along where real weapons would be used in their practices. The princess had a spell over the area so neither combatant would be cut, just bruised if struck.

I find myself strongly desiring to leave yon princess with a bruise of her own Jennifer. Let us strive to land a blow of our own this night hm?

Jen grinned at Bleeding Heart’s unusual enthusiasm. “We’ll see. We’ve been getting really close the last couple times that’s for sure.”

Luna took her usual place across from Jen in the square. They had drawn quite a crowd already, their training sessions had grown more and more impressive to watch over the past weeks and now most every off duty pony in the castle showed up. The princess held her shield and sword in her magic, and both combatants bowed formally before slowly moving toward the other.

As always Luna made the first move. Her sword slashing out at Jen’s shoulder but the girl snapped her shield up to block and in the same fluid move lanced out with Mercy, very nearly striking Luna’s shoulder. This brought a soft gasp from the crowd. She’d been improving but nopony suspected by how much.

Luna herself raised an eyebrow and stepped back smoothly. Now she was on the defensive as Jen pressed her attack. Mercy left a gently glowing trail of pink as it cut through the air. Always Luna’s shield met the blades swings and thrusts with a resounding clang. Jen gave a swift thrust at the princess’ face and wings flaring she reared back on her hind legs forcefully slamming her shield against Jen’s sword.

However rather than the expected ring of metal on metal, there was only the smooth hiss of air as the shield met no resistance. Luna had fallen for her student’s feint, and before she could get her bearings the girl had already spun inside the shields reach and slapped the princess with a solid THWACK against her flank. Luna let out a very undignified whinny as she reared back again and awkwardly cantered away from her attacker. Obviously more surprised than actually hurt she still lifted her hind leg gingerly.

The crowd was deathly silent. Nopony really expected the girl to ever actually strike Lady Luna. The princes slowly let weight return to her leg. Jen had certainly put all her strength into the swing and it clearly smarted, a little welt showing against her otherwise unblemished fur. While not a powerful warrior Luna hadn’t been physically struck in countless years. She was vaguely recalling not being fond of the sensation.

Of course no one looked as astonished as Jennifer herself. Hastily she sheathed Mercy. “I-I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to actually…HIT you!”

Luna regarded her curiously. “No? What precisely was your intention then? Are you not here to learn the art of swordplay?” Slowly the girl gave a nod. “Did you think you could do this without every striking your instructor?”

“W-well…I mean…”

Gently the alicorn placed her practice gear back on the racks. “Wait here one moment Jennifer. I will return soon.”

If anypony outside the hall saw the princess prance about blowing on the forming red mark on her flank with little tears welling in her eyes they would mostly certainly take the sight to their grave. Jen shifted from foot to foot nervously waiting for Luna to return, the murmuring of the crowd growing stronger. Was the girl going to be punished? It didn’t seem like it but for somepony to actually STRIKE the princess…

Silence descended once again as Luna made her return. Jen felt an odd…pulse coming from Mercy as her eyes fell upon the ornate sheathes strapped to Luna’s sides like a pair of saddlebags. Gently the princess drew the long, curved blades holding them before herself crossed over her face. Each was a scimitar of the finest quality. Moonstone gems carved into stylized crescent moons decorated the pommels. The blades themselves were far more striking however. The surface of the blade looked to be carved right out of the night sky, complete with stars that seemed to change and shift depending on how one looked at them. Most surprising of all to Jen at least were the runes carved into the blades. Three on each sword, from the base working their way toward the tip.

“Those aren’t…”

“Nightsinger. One of the original six arms of harmony crafted for Silent Step, the assassin. Passed to her squire, than passed to me by him when I was myself inducted into the order. You have shown me you are ready for the next level of your training Jennifer. Shall we begin?”

Questions were racing through Jen’s mind at this. Luna was a Knight of Harmony? Why didn’t she mention it before? Just how old WAS the princess? Frowning gently however, the girl nodded and took up her ready stance.

If the assembled ponies enjoyed a show before now they were treated to what equated to a symphony of combative quality. Luna wove her twin blades in a dizzying dance before her as she advanced on her young opponent. Luna’s many lessons running through her head Jen still found it hard not to be distracted by the dancing stars across the whirling blades. The princess looked no less determined than her student however as she came at the girl.

A thrust at her side was met by her shield, while a slash toward her hip was parried by Mercy. Jennifer was backing up all the while and the ring of steel on steel was punctuated by the occasionally meaty thwack as one of NIghtsinger’s dual swords found its way through the human girl’s guard. Jennifer was s clearly on the defensive the entire time, being walked about the training circle by the princess as she slashed, stabbed, and swung her blades in a never ending dance.

The crowd gasped aloud as a bright pink barrier suddenly burst to life around Jennifer, the second rune of her blade flaring brightly. Both swords of Nightsinger were forcefully repelled leaving the princess wide open to Jennifer’s sudden thrust. Catching her square in the breast bone. With another horse-like whinny the princess hopped back, surprise flashing across her features, before she smiled and dipped her head. “If you are to bring your blade’s true power into this I think it only fair I do the same.”

Jen’s shield flickered away as she watched Nightsinger come back together and slowly weave before the princess once more. The first rune on the twin blades glowed a gentle blue, and then the swords vanished. Jen blinked in surprise then shrieked in pain and shock as she felt one slap her thigh and the other jab her chest.

Growling in frustration as the invisible blades hammered at her more and more she called her shield back up. “Heart!”
The fourth rune of her sword flared to life as the spectral image of the ancient knight leapt from her blade. Luna used her wings to propel herself back from the sudden flurry of strikes coming from the long dead unicorn. Somehow Bleeding Heart could pierce the invisibility magic of Nightsinger and she was skipping and dodging unseen blows.

Not one to let a friend fight her battles for her Jennifer soon re-entered the fray. She was still unable to see Luna’s weapons but the princess was now hard pressed to defend against both of Mercy’s wielders. Jen yelped at a sudden swat to her backside and whirled to find nothing of course. Realizing her error she spun back in time to catch one of the pommels of Nightsinger striking her solidly in the nose.

Seeing her mistress in distress Bleeding Heart redoubled her attack. Though the knight fought fiercely it was clear to the watchers that Luna was gaining the upper hand judging by the stumbles and silent yelps of the spirit. The relentless rain of blows was too much for her to bear and she dissipated to mist, rejoining Jen’s blade. Luna turned to see if the fight had left her student yet, only to find the girl not where she was last standing. Wincing at the impending strike the princess was not disappointed as Jen used a two handed swing to swat her on the royal flank opposite of the first one stuck.

Eyes blazing she whirled on the clever girl she had foolishly underestimated. She stopped her assault however and Nightsinger winked back into view. Blood was streaming freely from the girls obviously broken nose. With a frown Luna sheathed her blades prompting Jen to do the same, albeit with some reluctance. “I apologize Jennifer. It has been sometime since I wielded Nightsinger. I fear I let the excitement of the moment sweep me along and I did considerably more harm to you than intended.”

The heat of the moment dying down Jen smiled a little and shrugged. “It’d ok. I was tryin da gitcha good too.”

Luna quirked one of her small smiles. “Let us get your nose tended to and perhaps we shall enjoy a long soak in the royal baths. I find my flanks could use some soothing.”

Jennifer suspected her everything could use some soothing after the thrashing she had just endured. But she found herself grinning widely.

A fine display this evening Jennifer. Thou art well on thy way to becoming a fine example of a knight of the order.

This caused the girls smile to grow even wider. I bet Luna has trouble sitting down for days.

A warm laugh came from the spirit within her sword. Aye, that she will.

Author's Note:

Awkward kisses, old books, and a royal whupping! I liked writing this one.