• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,760 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,760

Chapter 19: Heroes Rise

Chapter 19: Heroes Rise

“Nothing to say? You summoned me back after all. I’m naturally grateful.” The woman, Galaxia herself stepped closer peering down at the stunned girl. “Well let’s get a look at you.”

Her horn flared with an intense black light as her aura snapped around Jennifer and hauled her into the air. She’d been moved about with unicorn magic before but this felt…wrong. Cold and twisted. She flinched, her own horn glimmering as she tried to break the hold. The deposed queen didn’t so much as flinch from the girl’s efforts. She just spread her hands wide and jerked the girls’ limbs out from her body as she slowly paced around her.

“You’re a bit of a scrawny thing aren’t you? Not much to you at all really. Except that little sword on your arm…and what’s that?” Gingerly grasping Jen’s arm, Galaxia turned it over to get a better view of Mercy’s hilt. “Well that little gem feels familiar. The buffoon’s magic is in there? Half at least. How quaint, he finally found a little friend.”

Her aura vanished abruptly and dropped Jen back onto the cushion she’d been reading on. With a gasp she clutched her arms tightly to her chest trying to restore the circulation. “Oh it’s not that bad. Just the cold void of space!” She laughed lightly at her own little jest. “Jennifer yes? I’ve had my eye on you for some time now.”

Teeth chattering the girl looked up at her. “H-how?”

“How am I here? Or how was I watching you? When my traitorous daughters deposed me, they did so by removing my name from nearly every creature’s mind in Equestria. I needed a living breathing Equestria to remember me. It’s the creature I struck my bargain with couldn’t free me. Undead you see? As to the second well…you’re one of us. A displaced human wandering a land of irksome talking beasts. I was curious if you had the potential to be something great. Alas…you do not.”

Seeing Galaxia’s horn shine with that awful light again Jen called out to Mercy, covering herself in a thin shield that blocked out some of the cold, even as she was hoisted back into the air to drift slowly behind the woman as she paced from the room. “No you’re just like them. Weak, insipid, content to…join the herd as it were. What you, that whiny foal Cadence and my daughters don’t seem to grasp, is we are BETTER than them. They are animals girl, beasts of burden here for our amusement and convenience. Some are slightly better than others, the unicorns have some intelligence. But the earth and winged ones? Pah.”

Galaxia walked with strong purposeful strides, pausing before the librarian. He licked his lips chancing a glance up at her. “An honor to see you in the flesh your majesty.”

“Mmm. The one you seek is in the city. Their defenders will be here soon. I trust I can count on your assistance? Once they are dealt with the pureblooded alicorn will be yours.”

Eyes blazing red again he bowed low. “Oh I have just the thing highness.”

Jennifer gasped in horror as his flesh began to slough off, plopping to the floor like melted wax. A boney horn appeared at his forehead while skeletal wings rattled from his shoulders. The wings looked odd, like they were bolted unnaturally into the bone. The skeletal pony’s voice was deep and surprisingly melodious for such a horrid creature. “I will set the final preparations into motion. It should not be long.”

“Go then. Succeed in this last task and all you wish for will be yours.”

With a clack and rattle of bone he bowed and vanished as his horn flared with a hellish orange light. “Good help is hard to find, but if one looks hard enough she can always find those worthy of sharing her company.”

Jen’s shield was cracking under the pressure of Galaxia’s magic and that horrible cold was seeping in again. “L-let me g-g-go!”

“Hm? Oh.” With a casual flick of her wrist Jennifer was sent careening through the air at alarming velocity. She flailed a moment before slapping her hand over her bracelet. She bulked into her earth aspect just as she hit the window on the second floor of the library, shattered the glass and was sent sprawling onto the street.

Jennifer your armor!

“R-right.” Teeth still chattering she summoned up her armor and drew Mercy from its scabbard.

The doors to the library burst apart sending splinters and chunks of wood scattering across the street. Screams of alarm mingled with a few pained cries as the wood lodged in a few unfortunate ponies rose from the streets. “Yes! Yes little horses of Equestria! Your true queen has returned! Herald the arrival of Galaxia!”

Her moment of triumph was short lived. A bright beam of silvery light lanced downward from the moon that had somehow appeared in the afternoon sky, striking the queen and sending her sprawling with a resounding boom. When the dust cleared Princess Luna stood on the library steps garbed in her own suit of armor. Eyes and horn blazing she focused on her fallen mother. Jen ran to the princess’ side. Echo peeked out from beneath her liege’s legs. Jennifer wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or worried at her being there.

“Jen! You’re ok!” The night pony flung herself into Jennifer’s arms, forelegs wrapped tightly around her neck. “I was so worried.”

Returning the embrace quickly Jen tugged Echo away just as fast. “Echo you have to get out of here, she’s dangerous.”
With a scoff the young guard pony landed beside her fillyfriend. “Lady Luna’s here now, everything will be alright.”

If what the book said was true Jen wasn’t so sure. Already Galaxia was picking herself up off the ground. “Why is that little Lucinda I see in that big girl armor? You should know better than to attack your mother girl. Where’s Celestine?”

“Witch! You may have freed yourself but not for long! I will send you back where you belong!” The princess of the night’s eyes blazed with the force of her unleashed magic as she lunged toward her mother. Tsking softly the woman raised a hand, her horn glowing faintly. Luna’s charge was halted instantly and the imposing alicorn squirmed in the magical grasp.
“Poor little Lucinda, or do you prefer your horse name Luna? Has it been so long you’ve forgotten? Your blood is my blood girl. You are MINE.” Her horn glowed brighter as she clenched her fist. Luna wailed as her body folded in on itself, her armor retracting and leaving the pale skinned woman who had come to earth to rescue Jen gasping on the ground. “That’s better. I will never understand why you insist on cavorting as one of these animals. Now…where…is…Celestine?”

Luna struggled but her mouth began to work against her will. “In…the palace! She is…recovering from...years without rest!” She gasped as her mother released her grip.

“There now, was that so hard? You were always such an unruly girl. I don’t enjoy having to discipline you.” With barely a second glance at Luna and Jen, (she hadn’t even given Echo a FIRST glance) Galaxia turned to the palace. Her horn flared as she vanished with a soft pop.

Jen and Echo rushed to the weakly rising Luna’s side. “M’lady are you well?!”

“No. I cannot believe my foolishness. How could I have overlooked the books in the empires library? And now she is free, back to torment our home. We must stop her before she regains her full strength!”

Jen’s eyes widened. “Her FULL strength? She just flicked at you and dropped you!”

The older woman shook her head slowly. “It is because I am her kin. She can control our blood. But you, Echo, Cadence…she must exert effort to hold you back. We have a chance.” Luna recalled her armor and adjusted the scabbards of Night Singer on either hip. “We must hurry; I fear what she has in store for Celestia!”

The three broke into a run for the palace, only to run right into Shining Armor, Princess Cadence and a small contingent of the guards. “What’s going on here?! Princess Luna?”

The transformed princess shook her head. “No time! My mother is returned and Celestia is in danger! We must hurry! Cadence I am afraid you will need your armor for this.”

“O-oh…yes of course I…I’ve never had to actually use it…” The young princess fumbled with the gem on her torc. Delicate white armor formed around her body trimmed in shimmering pink. A small scepter topped with a warmly glowing blue gem popped into existence before her muzzle and she gripped it in her magic.

Shining Armor was not a stallion that needed long winded explanations. Something threatened the pony he’d served for most of his adult life and that’s all he needed to know. Wheeling the astonished guards about, they charged to the palace en masse.

Jen retracted her armor along the way to get access to her bracelet again. Without missing a beat she pressed against several of the charms at once, only recalling her protective plates once her wings and horn had returned.

Echo was flitting over their heads worriedly. “There’s a lot of magic coming from the palace m’lady!”

As the group reached the palace steps a tremendous explosion rang out blasting them all off their feet and hooves, sending everypony and the two humans sprawling to the ground. Two women emerged from the smoke. Galaxia and…who could only be Celestia. Covered head to toe in a huge shell of thick golden plate mail the solar princess, now her rightful age no doubt artificially accelerated by her mother stomped over the shattered bits of the crystal heart. With deliberate slowness she reached over her shoulder drawing forth the massive broadsword strapped to her back. The surface of the blade flared and roiled like the surface of the sun itself.

Worst of all were Celestia’s eyes. They were blank and unseeing. A faint black glimmer of magic surrounded them; she was being controlled by Galaxia. “Mother! Release her and surrender! You ‘re not strong enough to match all of us!”

Galaxia smiled wickedly to her youngest daughter. “I know that Lucinda. Even with Celestine at my side you’re little friends are more than a match for us. If only I had another helper…any volunteers?!” Her horns glow intensified again as Luna rocked back clutching her head. With jerky, unnatural movements she staggered over to stand by her sister, drawing her twin blades and facing down the others.

Equestria’s defenders seemed unsure of what their next move should be. Celestia and Luna stood between them and their quarry. So they not only had to somehow overpower the two most powerful ponies in the entire world, but then have enough strength left to deal with their even stronger mother. All seemed hesitant to attack their benevolent princesses; unfortunately the decision was made for them.

Both sisters charged forward as one. Celestia running for Cadence and Luna for Jennifer. They moved unnaturally however. Jerking backwards and twitching to the side. Obviously they were fighting their mothers’ control. Not only that but they weren’t bringing their magic into the fight…there might be a chance after all.

Jen rushed ahead to meet Luna’s charge. Weeks of sparring with the formidable princess had given her a bit of insight to her fighting style. And now that she had her weapons solidly gripped in a pair of hands and not floating around willy nilly in magic the field was more evenly matched than ever before. Or so the girl thought. Raising her shield to meet Luna’s first jerky swing she barely registered that the until-now unused third rune was glowing fiercely. When the slim blade met her shield she was sent hurtling through the air with enough force comparable to a Big Macintosh buck.

Skidding along the ground with a metallic screech, her armor throwing up sparks every which way she staggered back to her feet. “What the hell was that?!”

Cadence was having troubles of her own. The nimble alicorn was barely managed to stay one step ahead of Celestia’s unnaturally swift swinging Corona. “It’s their rune! Their blades empower each other when they’re near each other! We have to separate them!”

Blowing out a quick gust of air Jen focused on her horn. She didn’t move to block this time as Luna charged once more. At the last moment she jumped to the side letting the princess stagger passed. If Luna had been fighting with her full faculties the dodge would have been less effective, but the princesses’ inner struggles were aiding Jen’s efforts. As she began to turn Jen swung her fist up with a shout summoning all the magic she could under Luna. Her efforts were rewarded as a powerful green blast ripped upwards catching Luna and hurling her far into the city.

“Echo you stay and help Cadence and Shining with Celestia! Heart and I will deal with Luna!”

Echo looked about to protest but even with Celestia’s blade slowed the princess was like a living juggernaut. The guards’ spears had broken harmlessly on her armor leaving Shining and Cadence alone to contend with the powerful solar diarch. “Alright! But you be careful!”

Nodding once Jen spread her wings and got a running start. Focusing her magic around her legs she used it to give herself some extra oomph as she leapt into the air, wings beating frantically to gain altitude. A large plume of smoke heralded Luna’s position in the city. With one quick glance back at her friends battling Celestia, she dove toward Luna’s landing place.

***

“I don’t…” Shining had to duck a swing of Corona. “…suppose that…” He nimbly leapt backwards as the princess’ huge sword dug a deep furrow into the street where he’d been standing. “…scepter of yours has any good tricks in it?!” He kept throwing up shields of magic but Celestia slashed through them with little more effort than if she were cutting through paper.
It was Cadence’s turn to rear back as Celestia unexpectedly rounded on her. Corona just barely grazed her breastplate but it heated up like it had been lying in a fire for an hour. Yelping her horn flared in tune with her scepter as the metal cooled. “A few! I don’t know if they’ll work on her though!” She concentrated again as the second rune along the scepter glimmered.

The combat paused for a moment as the controlled princess began to laugh. At first gentle giggles but then deep hearty guffaws as she staggered to one knee, uncontrollably laughing like a lunatic. Shining glanced at his wife, brow raised. “What was THAT?”

“The second rune of Convalescence! Softly Spoken was a renowned diplomat; she added the rune to instill calm emotions to angered parties. It can actually amplify any emotions to apparently debilitating effect.”

“That’s my wife.” Their celebration was cut short as Celestia’s laughter abruptly stopped. She slowly rose to her feet again charging the royal couple. Both prepared to defend themselves until a sudden harsh flash of light lit the area. Cadence and Shining Armor recoiled with screams equal parts shock and pain. Corona’s sun like surface had momentarily brightened to the ACTUAL brightness of the celestial orb, and blinded both ponies.

Shining erected a powerful barrier between his wife and the princess, fruitless of an effort it may have been. The expected blow never fell, as a keening wail pierced the air announcing the arrival of Echo. Wings flapping furiously she dove in at Celestia fearlessly, mouth wide as she released a wail powerful enough to shatter the stone around the raging princess’ feet. Celestia was flung back from the force but Echo wasn’t finished. Landing she spun sharply on her forehooves and drove delivered a buck with her hind legs directly into Celestia’s abdomen, lifting her into the air and sending her to smash into the ground a few feet away. Not missing a beat she slammed her hind legs back to the ground and was in the air again, circling for another pass.

Princess Cadence was blinking her eyes rapidly, calling upon her scepters first rune the burning pain eased and her vision returned. Turning to her husband she administered the same treatment. “We need to separate her from Corona, but don’t touch it!”

“Right!” Her husband charged back into the fray as his princess struggled back to her feet. It was tough going for the large armored human. Echo was constantly swooping down to deliver another sonic scream and knock Celestia back on her heels. Waiting for her to stumble back a step Shining reacted quickly, snapping a magical tether around the princess raised ankle and yanking back with all his might. Celestia was heaved off her feet and slammed to the ground hard. Already she was struggling to rise again.

Cadence was at Shining Armor’s side, her own magic gripping Celestia’s other ankle and together they heaved her into the air, dangling her upside down. The princess was monstrously strong even without bringing her magic to bear and the pair could barely maintain their hold.

Seeing a choice opening Echo dove at the thrashing princess like an arrow, slamming all four hooves into the arm gripping Corona. She was reward with a loud SNAP as the force of her impact broke Celestia’s shoulder. While under Galaxia’s control she evidently couldn’t scream or she surely would have, and Echo hoped she couldn’t feel the pain either. The huge sword clattered to the ground.

Invigorated by the young night pony’s success Cadence and Shining Armor poured more energy into the magical tethers holding Celestia. Flicking their heads up together the princess was flung into the air, then as both snapped their heads down the tethers tightened and she was flung into the ground with bone shattering force. Slowly the dust began to settle, revealing the princess lying in the bottom of the crater breathing, but not moving to rise.

The three turned their attention to the silently watching Galaxia. The self-proclaimed queen was still wearing a faint smile as they advanced. “Surrender Galaxia!”

“Well it seems you’ve overpowered Celestine, and with Lucinda otherwise engaged it would appear I’m at your mercy!” Though her smile never faltered. “Unless of course one of my allies had an army at hand, than I suppose things aren’t quite so dire.”

Wings flared Cadence stepped forward preparing to deliver another angry retort, when it died in her throat. Shining Armor and Echo followed her gaze…all three could only stare in horror. Ponies were shambling and twitching toward the scene of battle. Dead ponies. Some were mere skeletons; others had bits of flesh and fur clinging to them. But one thing was certain…they were very dead. And there were a lot of them.

***

Alright Heart, this won’t be so bad! Just like…like training on the weekends.

Aye save if her blade finds its way through thine guard no spell protects thee.

With that sobering though Jen folded her wings and dropped to the ground drawing Mercy’s blade again. Luna was already on her feet haltingly stalking toward the girl. “I know you’re in there Luna! I know you’re fighting her and I hope you don’t kill me!”

The princess’ eyes were as blank as her sisters, but Jen wanted to believe she could see some sign of her mentor in there. Then all thoughts aside from her swordplay fled as Luna’s blades met her shield and sword. Her movements were much easier to predict now that she had shoulders and a waist to scream declare her attacks ahead of time, even so her strikes were fast and powerful. Even without Corona enhancing her strength she was still more powerful than Jen even with her earth aspect.

Luna’s ferocious assault was forcing her back constantly. With some concern she noted many of the crystal ponies had approached the sight of battle. She couldn’t spare them much thought, it was taking everything she had to block Luna’s attacks. Block with shield. Block with sword. Block with shield. Block with sword. It was becoming an exhausting and repetitive pair of motions, but Luna was striking too fast for her to do much else.

Rely not on just one of thy talents Jennifer! Luna is handicapping herself by keeping her wings and magic from the battle, do not offer her the same courtesy!

The more experienced knight was right and Jen cursed herself for ignoring such an obvious advantage. The next time she blocked she charged her horn with raw energy and punched it straight into Luna’s stomach. The princess was lifted from her feet and flung into a nearby fruit stand. Hoping to finish the battle there Jen charged intent on bashing the princess into unconsciousness. She was caught entirely unaware by the princess’ sudden kick, as Luna’s leg snapped out and now it was Jen’s turn to go flying through the air, landing with a crash on the ground and skidding to a slow stop.

She was seeing spots and it was getting a little hard to breathe. Summon me Jennifer! Why do you delay?!

Shaking the cobwebs from her head Jen rose shakily, in time to see Luna’s jerky charge. She managed to get her shield up in time. Her arm went numb from the jarring force of Luna’s attack hammering down on her shield arm. It was all she could do to keep the shield raised as the princess methodically pounded away at the offered target.

Just as she was feeling her strength fade an acidic green jet of magic ripped from the alley to her right, colliding with Luna and sending her sprawling across the ground. “Hey kid! Y’look like crap!”

Jen couldn’t keep a laugh from escaping at the sight of the changeling buzzing from the alley, in his natural state. “Not as..ugly as you I hope…” She groaned and moved to a sitting position holding her stomach.

Tak was soon joined by a concerned looking Umbra and nervous looking Trixie. “What is happening? Why is it night out? Who is your assailant?”

Taking several deep breaths Jen looked to Luna, who was now getting to her feet. “Luna’s mother is here. She’s some crazy queen from forever ago and she’s on the warpath to conquer Equestria again. She’s controlling Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. That’s uh…Luna there.”

Trixie wrinkled her nose. “Why is she a human?”

Jen shook her head with a little sigh. “We can go over all this fun stuff once Galaxia is down. For now we need to take Luna out of the fight and help Cadence and Shining Armor with Celestia.”

Umbra needed no further prodding. The fierce warrior pony already summoning her magic to strengthen her legs and body, leaping over Luna’s head and delivering a powerful buck to her backside, sending her flying forward.

Tak, horn blazing caught the soaring princess in the stomach with another blast of magic flinging her straight into the air. Trixie stepped in last, lassoing Luna in midair and slamming her to the ground with a burst of soft pink magic. Luna hit the ground and bounced, then lay still.

Jen watched it all, mouth open a little. “Wow. You guys are A LOT better at this than I am.”

Stalking forward Umbra kicked aside both blades of Night Singer. “You are young. I have had much experience with combat, as has Tak. I have seen you training with Luna, one day you will be our equal. For now we should make haste yes?”

“Er…y-yeah…Trixie can you bring the princess?”

Looking like she very much did NOT want to do just that, Trixie levitated the unconscious Luna into the air. “She’s not going to jump awake and start attacking is she?”

Jen shrugged. “Maybe. But with her swords here she’ll be less dangerous at least. She and Celestia can’t use their magic while they’re being controlled I think, so as long as we don’t let her get her hands on us we should be fine.”

Looking a little green Trixie lifted Luna a bit higher into the air, and away from herself. The foursome started at a run for the palace, before a terrified scream cut through the air. Without a word the group turned to the sound, skidding to a stop at the sight.

Undead ponies were shambling through the streets, bucking, stomping, and biting at anypony unfortunate enough to cross their path.

Trixie unceremoniously dumped Luna on a nearby rooftop, shrugging when the three turned to her. “I don’t want to be otherwise occupied while we’re fighting the ZOMBIES. I’m sorry.”

***

Despite all the horror happening around her, Echo felt in her element. Soaring above the shambling undead hordes and diving in loosing her screams she saw bones crumble to dust under the force of her sonic attacks. Now and then she would wing around and make a pass near the royal couple, clearing their flank when some of the undead monsters would shamble at them when they weren’t looking.

While she was no Celestia or Luna, Cadence was still an alicorn. That came with certain advantages. Eternal life and a massive reserve of magical might being chief among them. Spell casting may not be her forte but she was older than Jennifer, who exhibited plenty of raw power. Having a good fifteen years or so to accumulate mana of her own, and often little need for it she wasn’t lacking in the magical might department. Manifesting solid walls of light the crystal princess would smash them down upon the shambling monstrosities, blasting them to dust.

Shining Armor didn’t have an alicorns strength or Echo’s screams but he was good at one very specific field of magic, and that was shields. The former royal guard captain and current prince consort to the crystal princess contributed by corralling the creatures for his wife and their flying ally to more easily crush them. “Where are they all coming from?”

Indeed it seemed for every one destroyed two more shambled in to take their place. “The crystal mines. See the glittering dust on some of the bones? There must be a necromancer nearby…raising all the ponies who died under Sombra’s rule. And there are a lot of them. When he took power there were many cities making up the empire. Now there’s…only this one.”

The idea that they were fighting several cities worth of enemies wasn’t a pleasant one. But Shining Armor wasn’t a pony to complain when there was a job that needed doing. No he put his nose to the grind stone and went to work.

The trio were soon joined by members of the guard that weren’t otherwise occupied. While the crystal ponies lacked the magical might of their horned rulers they were still earth ponies. Earth pony strength went to work smashing bone and crushing dead flesh.

The group was constantly in motion less the creatures surround and overwhelm them. There were almost a countless amount but they were slow moving and clumsy. “Cadence isn’t there anything…I dunno PRINCESSY you can do?”

“Princessy? Well it doesn’t get much more specific than that does it? I’m not doing ENOUGH for you?” She punctuated the retort with another magical wall smashing a couple dozen undead ponies.

“No of course you’re right it’s just…what about the barrier we used to get rid of the changelings?”

“It won’t work. These things are ponies, even if they’re dead ones. If we did that we’d throw everypony in the empire out too.”

“We’re holding our own but what about the rest of the citizens? The crystal ponies are all earth ponies! Cadence you have to do something and soon. These things are already turning on civilians!”

“I…” She was clearly torn between evacuating her people and staying at her husband’s side. “You better not die Shining Armor! Or else!”

The stallion smiled as his wife took to the air. “Yes dear.”

***

Every swing of her sword or shield resulted in another powdered undead pony, but they showed no sign of tiring, retreat or a loss in numbers. Umbra was leaping from place to place; each time she landed her hooves would lash out and crush the bones of any zombie she landed near. Before the mindless monsters could bring their own hooves to bear she would leap away and focus on a new group.

Tak and Trixie worked their magic like…magic. The duo kept close to one another, Tak would rip a hole through the creatures with his green blasts while Trixie contributed in more refined ways. Lifting groups with her levitation and slamming them to the ground, shifting rubble to allow civilians escape routes, and creating constant illusions to confuse the creatures.

Jennifer summon me forth!

Not yet! We’re doing alright and maintaining your presence out here exhausts me Heart. We need to wait for the fight with Galaxia before I pull an all-in move like that.

…thine words ring true but I like it not.

Believe me, I wish you were here too.

After the frantic pace of the fight with Luna, Jen was almost finding this relaxing. It required very little effort on her part; she didn’t even have to hit the skeletons very hard to shatter them. The few that did slip through her guard kicked or bit harmlessly on her armor and were swiftly dispatched. The real sense of urgency was the less well protected crystal ponies.
Jennifer and Trixie were developing a method to aid them however. Trixie noticed Jen raise the stone off the street to seal a family of ponies in their home. Thinking quickly the mare began to scoop up any ponies she spotted outside and hurl them into the nearby buildings, than Jen would seal the doorways off. A few of the bolder ponies even peeked out from upper floor windows hurling heavy objects down on the undead flooding their streets.

They’d actually cleared a couple blocks before Umbra rejoined the slower moving threesome. “There are so many, and I am beginning to tired.”

Trixie and Tak looked inclined to agree. Jennifer was frowning behind her visor. “I…might have something that can clear A LOT fast, but it’s really draining. I don’t know how often I can do it.”

Tak was staring intently at the young knight. “You got any changeling mojo goin?”

“Uh…yeah I used that charm too. Figured why not right?” Lifting her visor the other three could see her eyes were an odd reptilian green reflecting the light around them, and the skin of her face was marked with splotches of chitin.

“Right. Time for a crash course on emotional feeding. Have you been feeling anything in the air? Fear would be the most likely.”

Jen frowned. “I…feel something. Like a kinda sour taste in the back of my throat?”

“That’s it. Normally fear isn’t very filling but there’s SO much I think you’ll be able to get more than enough. I want you to focus on that sensation, and try and taste it more. Can you do that?”

Brow furrowed Jen did. Focusing on the acrid taste and trying to will it to grow stronger. She felt a stirring in both her horn and stomach simultaneously. “I…I think I’m doing it.”

“It’s basic stuff same as shape changing. Just focus on the feeling, and try to picture yourself uh…eating it. You might start to feel full but try to ignore that and really y’know…go whole hog. Just pig out on it.”

Frowning now she tried to do as he described. Picturing herself with a straw in her mouth drinking it all in. To her surprise the stupid iconology worked and she felt herself growing more and more full by the minute. She began to hesitate before Tak’s instructions filtered in and she forced herself to keep going. Drawing in all the ambient fear radiating in the air. Her muscles were growing taut and a visible nimbus of green magic was slowly coming into being around her. The trio watching her stepped back as her aura glowed brighter and brighter.

“I think that’s enough kid! You don’t wanna pop!”

Blinking her eyes open Jen was nearly blinded by the near-sun like glow coming off her body. Smiling fiercely she raised Mercy and channeled her magic into the blade. The aura dimmed slightly as the sword accepted the power. Slashing horizontally she released a powerful shockwave that rolled through the streets. Any of the crystal ponies it encountered were left dazed but unharmed. The undead however were destroyed utterly.

“Yeah…I think this’ll work.”

With her newly fed reserve of mana working overtime she began working her way through the streets, wave after wave of solidified mana making short work of the undead legion. Anytime her aura began to dim she’d just drink in the emotion around her again and it’d return to its former brightness.

Tak was watching the whole spectacle grinning proudly. “That’s changeling and pony magic working together! Saving the day! Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it Mr. high and mighty Shining Armor!”

Any that Jennifer’s magical assaults missed, Umbra and Tak were quick to dispatch. Trixie had resumed her duty as Luna’s carrier. Anytime the princess began to stir she’d wallop her over the head with whatever was nearby and heavy enough to send her back into unconsciousness.

Bright flashes of magical light flared on the street ahead and Jennifer rushed to find the source. Cadence was there blasting undead left and right with vivid green streaks of magic. “Cadence!”

The princess turned to the approaching girl with a smile. Tak rounded the corner and began to call a warning too late, as the alicorns eyes shifted to a sickly green hue, and she leveled a powerful magic bolt right into Jen’s face.

***

Cadence, the REAL Cadence was soaring over her city, heart filling with despair at the carnage being wrought on her charges. Despair and something else, an emotion she didn’t like…and hadn’t felt since that witch tried to steal her husband. Fury lent strength to her wings as she carried herself higher and higher above the empire.

“I want these…THINGS…OUT of my empire!”

Convalescence blazed to life with the furious princess’ gentle blue magical aura. The young princess was forcing out every ounce of magical energy she could glean within her vast reserves. Years of comfortable living, using magic only for simple levitation and the occasional love charm had given her a reserve of mana that Luna and Celestia would be envious of. The gentle alicorn loathed violence, and wasn’t a big fan of confrontation in general.

Now however she found her warrior spirit. Seeing her beloved subjects suffering and dying in the streets of her empire hardened her heart momentarily and she forced every drop of magic she could into the Arm of Harmony that she called her own. A blazing blue aura licked about her deceptively slender frame, and she carried herself to the very center of her city. Angling at the ground and holding her scepter before her she moved into a streaking dive that would make Rainbow Dash proud.

The impact could be felt throughout the entirety of the empire. Several volcanoes would erupt in the dragon lands just over the mountains to the north ruining more than a few hordes in the act. Great tidal waves would roll across the ocean causing some minor flooding in the streets of Prance the next continent over.

A blinding blue radiance rushed through the city encompassing every inch of the empire and beyond. The pulse obliterated every shambling corpse in the streets in one breath taking release of magical might. Slowly Cadence lifted her head. Her coat soaked in sweat and wings drooping limply at her sides. Several of her subjects would rush to catch her as she toppled over exhausted, but smiling.

***

The valiant guard ponies held their ground against the press of undead. Spurred on by their prince who had taken over Cadences tactic of crushing the monsters with solid constructs of magic, if in significantly smaller numbers.
Echo was keeping busy, but slowly tiring. She’d never been forced to shriek so much at once and it was taking a toll on her throat. After a particularly harsh bout of coughing brought some blood mixed with the spittle she relented, landing among the crystal pony defenders and lending her hooves to the fray.

As the press began to tighten around the living defenders, a massive wave of magic rolled out from the center of the city, rushing over the small group. Galaxia frowned in irritation, her horn flaring brightly as she raised a shield against it. Even so the powerful woman staggered as it reached her, and nearly fell to her knees. Nearly.

“That’s my wife out there!” Shining grinned proudly, and his men cheered.

When the light from the pulse faded all signs of the undead were gone. Galaxia was glaring in the direction it had originated from. “That little witch! I’ll show her true power!” Gazing up at the night sky she reached with her magic. The ponies watched in terror as one of the stars in the sky dislodged itself and streaked to the ground…right where Cadence had landed.

Galaxias hold over the star was broken as a massive flaming blade whistled through the air, missing her by mere inches. She outraged woman spun, to find Celestia a pony once more and free of her control. The shield and star spell had drawn enough of her focus away from controlling her daughters that Celestia at least had broken free.

“You dare? You DARE strike at me?! I am your mother! Your queen!”

Celestia’s eyes blazed with a fury not seen for centuries. “You are a monster! A blight on Equestria and one I should have dealt with some finality centuries ago! I will NOT make the same mistake twice!” Corona responded to its mistress’ commands, hurtling through the air and constantly devilling at the outraged woman.

Galaxia’s attention was returned fully to her eldest daughter, and the star she’d plucked from the sky continues its descent but at a significantly reduced speed. Drawing a wickedly jagged and curved blade nearly as long as she was tall, its surface as black as the night sky and filled with the same stars the woman’s hair held, she began to advance on her daughter. Batting the swiftly striking Corona aside with her blade of stars she advanced steadily.

Celestia was backing slowly away. Corona slashing in and using her magic to fling debris at her advancing mother. Galaxia to the side clutching at her ears as Echo charged forward, loosing yet another screech. The anguish was clear on the young night guard’s face but her wail was no less potent than ever.

Hissing in pain and irritation Galaxia flung her sword at Celestia, forcing the princess to leap aside to avoid being skewered. Faster than Echo thought possible Galaxia gave her wings a might flap and she was upon the night pony. One hand gripped her throat tightly, the nails digging into the soft flesh in the gaps of her armor. “I think that’s just about enough from YOU beast.” With a casual flick of her wrist Galaxia ripped Echo’s throat out, tossing the dazed and heavily bleeding pony to the ground.

***

Completely unprepared for the changeling queen’s assault Jennifer caught the brunt of her magical attack full in the face and was sent hurtling through the wall of the nearest home, landing with a groan amidst the wreckage.

Rolling peals of laughter rose from the false Cadence as green flame licked about her hooves, racing across her body and revealing the leering visage of Chrysalis, possible the last surviving queen of the changelings. “Well well well, if it isn’t Prince Tak’thiss. When Queen Galaxia sent her summons I had no idea you would be here.”

Tak’s eyes were widened with fury. Preparing to charge he was interrupted by Umbra. The young alicorn, spurred on by seeing the kind hearted girl so heartlessly assault charged forward furiously. The changeling queen was shocked at the brutal assault, flicking her wings open and buzzing over Umbra’s head with a sudden laugh. “Does the little pony not know how to fly?”

Whirling she kept her gaze focused on the queen. “I do not need to fly. I jump good.” Coiling her hind legs she sprang high into the air, flipping over in midair and slamming her hind hooves up into the bottom of Chrysalis’ jaw. She was rewarded with a satisfying CRACK, and saw viscous green blood oozing from the queen’s face as she dropped back to the ground.
Chrysalis soon joined her, dazed and stupefied from the unexpected mid-air bucking. Trixie had raced after the fallen Jennifer, confident her more martial minded friends would prevail against a single changeling. Like Jennifer however, Chrysalis had been gorging on the terror in the empire and her power was nearly equal to the day she’d tried to usurp Equestria. Already her broken carapace was knitting back together and she rose to her hooves.

“You pack quite a wallop filly; let’s see if you can take it too!” Her horn blazed angrily and smashed into Umbra’s side. The stench of burned fur and flesh filled the air as she went tumbling through the street to smash up against the side of another building. Smirking all the while she turned back to Tak. “Where were we?”

Tak too had been feeding. Not as much as the girl he was following about, wanting the bulk to go to her and her work but enough that he wasn’t helpless. When Chrysalis unleashed a blast for him he countered with one of his own, rolling aside and letting the queen’s pass harmlessly over his head while his own found its mark. Sizzling carapace dripped from Chrysalis’ chest. “Wretched little prince! Know your place!”

“Oh I know my place. It’s here at their sides protecting the pony’s I love from you!” Two sets of insectoid wings buzzed as the dueling pair took to the air, lighting the night sky with flashes of acidic green magic.

Trixie carefully picked her way through the wreckage to the fallen girls’ side. As the blue pulse of magic rushed toward them she raised a shield, hoping to spare the unconscious Jennifer the brunt. She was relieved when it passed harmlessly through them. Sighing gently she turned to Jen again, lifting her visor and frowning at the girls face.

Jen’s skin had been badly burned. Her eyebrows singed off, lips cracked and bleeding and the entire right side of her face looked more like a charred lump of clay than the face of a young woman. “Ugh why couldn’t I know more healing spells?!” Frantically the showmare turned medic for a day poured what healing magic she could recall into the girls face. Some of the scar tissue faded and her eyes shot open as she gasped sharply. Trixie stumbled back in shock. “You’re ok? You’re ok!”

Jennifer groaned heavily and lifted a hand to her face. “I…wouldn’t say ok…but…I’m not dead. What happened?”

“It wasn’t the princess, but the changeling queen, Chsytis or something. She’s still out there with Tak and Umbra.”

“W-well…what’re we sitting on our butts for then?” It was a struggle but with Trixie’s help Jen got back to her feet.

“Don’t you think you should rest a moment?”

“N-no…I’m….I’m good…” She took a few steps forward then stumbled to her knees.

Jennifer thou does nopony any good by pushing thyself to death. Take a moment and rest, trust in thine friends they are powerful warriors.

With an unhappy grunt she sighed. “I’m fine now…go help them Trixie.”

With a reluctant nod Trixie rested the still unconscious Luna next to Jennifer and raced back outside. The girl sucked in a breath as Luna stirred, but to her relief cool blue eyes met hers. “Jennifer…your face…”

Shaking her head she frowned. “My face is fine. How are YOU?”

“…sore. And I have a headache. Where is Night Singer?”

Waving in a vague direction Jen shrugged. “Out there…somewhere. We didn’t want you waking up and stabbing us. When this mess is done we’ll go find it alright?” She winced when she finished, gently touching her burned cheek.

With a gentle frown Luna removed her helmet and rested a hand against the horrid burn. Cool healing magic flooded Jen’s face instantly relieving much of the pain. “I cannot do much about the scar I am afraid. Healing is not my specialty. I am sure Cadence can restore you when we meet with her again.”

Offering a genuine smile Jen replaced her helm. “No it’s fine. I barely feel it anymore. Let’s go.” This time when she climbed to her feet she didn’t immediately flop over. She raced from the building, Luna at her side in time to find an unhappy looking Tak landing in the square.

“She took off, but she’s hurt*. Hopefully she’s gone for the rest of this mess. Princess looks good again.”

Luna nodded slowly. “Where is Umbra?”

Trixie was approaching with the unconscious Umbra floating before her. Luna pushed passed Jen and Tak brusquely rushing to her fallen filly. Once more she summoned healing magic, pouring it into the prone form of her daughter. Umbra stirred and looked up at Luna, smiling a little and leaning into the hand against her cheek.

“Thank you.”

Luna offered her a warm smile of her own. “Of course. Now we must hurry, the others are still dealing with my mother.”
As the five raced to the palace unhindered, Jennifer felt an uncomfortable flickering from the heart stone at her chest. She couldn’t see it beneath her armor…but she knew it meant Echo was in trouble. Flaring her wings and calling on her magic again she charged ahead of the group, taking wing and disappearing with a green streak.

***

Shining Armor watched horrified as Echo fell from the sky. Acting quickly he caught the young night pony in his magic and slowed her descent. She was alive but just barely, breathing shallowly and bleeding profusely from her hideously torn throat. Using his magic he staunched the flow as best he could, then turned to the nearest guards. “Go to the center of the city! Find Cadence! Now!”

They didn’t argue with their prince, and rushed from the field as fast as their legs could carry them. Shining kept his attention on the pale pony beneath him. “You hang in there kid. You’re gonna be just fine. Cadence will be here soon and she’ll fix you right up.”

Echo kept one eye trained on Shining Armor. She hadn’t spoken with him much when he was captain of the day guard. But what she had seen she liked. He was a good guy, frank and honest but treated his men fairly. She was wishing she’d gotten more of a chance to talk to him. …she wished she’d spent more time with Jennifer too.

As if conjured by her thoughts Jennifer streaked through the air trailing raw mana in her wake, landing heavily by the prince and his charge. With an anguished cry she dropped to her knees beside the wounded Echo, without hesitation she drew Mercy and focused on Martyr’s rune.

Have a care Jennifer, tis a garish wound and one that will not heal instantly. It will take time.

“I don’t care Heart!” She really didn’t. She felt the rush of energy ripple from the sword and encompass both she and the wounded night pony. Then she staggered at the ripping sensation coming from her throat. Already a gentle pink radiance surrounded the garish wound and the bleeding was halted but…she still had a gaping hole in her throat.

Echo began to stir and breathe easier. Though she looked furious when she saw Jen had taken her wound onto herself. “Y-you idiot! What do you think you’re doing!?”

A wet gurgle was all that came from Jen’s mouth. Sheepishly she offered Echo an apologetic smile and shrug. The night pony was about to slug the girl she loved but seemed to recall her gaping throat wound and thought better of it.
Shining Armor just shook his head. “You two need to get to safety. I’m going to help Princess Celestia.”

In more than a little pain from her burns, bruises, and now her lovely new torn throat Jennifer didn’t argue. She allowed Echo to lead her to a half standing house for some shelter. Her fillyfriend fretted over her. “I don’t know what to do!”

Jen shook her head slowly and smiled again, just resting her hand between Echo’s ears, before giving a little nod toward the battle. With a frown she seemed about to protest, but sighed. “You’re right. But you stay here! I mean it!”

Celestia was doing her best to find off her mother. After Echo’s assault she’d been staggered but not incapacitated enough for the solar princess to land a telling blow. Now she was on the defensive again parrying each of Galaxia’s wild strikes with her own heavy blade, but her strength was waning while Galaxia was only growing stronger the more her name was being passed from pony to pony.

Echo flitted over the charging Shining Armor and hit Galaxia in the back with another of her shrieks. The queen bellowed in rage whirling at the night pony but was too slow in her return attack, as the swift night guard darted away. Before she could return her attention to her daughter Shining Armor struck. He didn’t have an alicorns strength but he was from clan Sparkle, and that meant you had plenty of magic to go around. Charging his horn he punched at the insane woman with a bolt of solid magenta magic, striking her in the small of the back and staggering her forward.

Seeing an opening Celestia swing her blade in. Galaxia managed a weak block with her own weapon but she was knocked from her feet by the force of Corona’s swing. Tumbling head over heels she came to rest at the base of one of the staircases leading up to the palace.

“Enough.” Her voice was a soft whisper, barely audible at first. Luna, Tak, Umbra, and Trixie arrived in time to see her rising to her feet. “Enough.” Her voice had raised and her horn was glowing angrily. Celestia charged again while Luna attacked with raw magic. “Enough!”

The blast rocked Equestria’s defenders back and sent them staggering to the ground. Black tendrils of magic slammed and thrashed outward from Galaxia in wild unpredictable paths. Eyes blazing with fury she snapped a hand at either of her daughters. Before anypony could react the woman’s magic tightened its focus writhing over Celestia and Luna forming solid globes of impenetrable blackness. Throwing her hands into the air the globes rocketed away. One disappearing over the horizon, the other heading straight for the moon.

The gathered ponies could only watch in horror as the old image of the mare in the moon formed over Luna’s celestial body. No doubt the sun would have its own adornment, if indeed it ever rose again. Slowly Galaxia lowered her arms and smoothed her gown. “Now…that, THAT is done. I believe it’s time this little farce was finished.”

Umbra recovered first, of course and wasted no time charging at her maternal grandmother. With a laugh Galaxia reached out to slap her aside only to find the ebon coated mare had leapt over her head, landing lightly behind her she slammed her hind hooves into Galaxia’s back.

With a howl of pain and rage the woman staggered forward, catching a one-two combo from Tak and Trixie’s magical bolts. When she whirled on the pair Shining Armor seized the opportunity to slam his shoulder into her, sending her skidding to the ground. Echo swooped down from overhead battering the queen with her screech as she passed over.

Galaxia…was in pain. REAL pain. She hadn’t felt pain like this since the buffoon decided to assault her, all puffed up on his artificial power. It was not a sensation she was pleased to feel once again. Her magic flared out catching the rushing Umbra and rocketing her so high into the sky she disappeared from sight. Tak shouted in alarm and flared his wings darting up into the air after her.

When the queen turned her attention to the two unicorns…she found not two, but two dozen. Magical copies courtesy of the Great and Powerful Trixie ran every which way confounding her as to which was the real one. The real Trixie was in fact taking shelter in the same building Jennifer was recovering in.

Watching the battle with growing dismay Jen turned her eyes to Mercy. Specifically the gem hanging from Mercy’s hilt. Chewing her lip with a frown she gripped the gem. If it worked for Umbra maybe it would work for Galaxia? Still…it never hurt to have a backup plan. She had no idea if this would work but…she opened herself to the gems chaotic mana, focusing on the owner of the other half. “Please…if you can hear me…I need you.”

***

Half a world away in palace of the mighty sheikh of Saddle Arabia, a rakish young man in a dapper purple pin-striped suit looked up from the table he was currently enjoying a veritable feast on. The cocky grin he normally wore faded to a frown as he stood and claimed his hat. “If you’ll excuse me, it seems I’m needed for an important engagement.”

***

Jennifer charged across the field toward Galaxia, calling on Discord’s borrowed power to open the path back to earth. She was within reaching distance before Galaxia noticed her, and Jen flung herself forward gripping her around the waist willing them away. They…did not move.

“Young lady I hardly think we’ve known one another long enough for such familiarity.” Smiling unpleasantly down at the astonished looking girl Galaxia snapped a hand around her still wounded throat. “Oh my…that looks absolutely garish dear. Let’s see if I can’t help you a bit?”

The queen worked her fingers into the wound, and began to tear at the slowly knitting flesh. Jen thrashed and writhed in agony screaming soundlessly. “Did you think I wasn’t watching how you defeated that Umbra creature? Did you think I couldn’t counter the buffoon’s magic? Even at FULL strength he was not a match for me!”

A flare of soft blue magic erupted between the two flinging them apart. Jennifer was caught by Trixie’s magic as Cadence returned to the scene. She looked shaky and exhausted but she was on her hooves. “What does it take to be rid of you annoyances?!” Pulling her sword back from the void she hurled it at Cadence. Wings flaring in alarm the princess had no time to dodge, fortunately her husband was at her side in a flash, his most powerful barrier raised and knocking the deadly blade aside.

Before Galaxia could launch another attack, Tak returned baring a furious Umbra in his hooves. Leading the way with a magical bolt he staggered the woman, before flinging his burden at her. Umbra used the momentum of the powerful changeling prince to lend strength to her hooves, colliding with Galaxia with bone breaking force. The queen stumbled and fell back, for the first time not immediately rising to her feet.

Cadence rushed to Jennifer’s side, calling on her scepter to heal the horrid hole in her throat. “Th-thanks.” Her voice was a harsh whisper but it was there.

The princess nodded firmly. “I think it’s time this ends, don’t you?”

Both turned to the slowly recovering Galaxia. Neither saw the decayed form of a crystal pony mare lurch from the shadows behind them, eyes blazing with red fury. A fleshless horn had forced its way up through her head. Without a sound the malevolent spirit of the lich, now housing itself in a new body after his last was destroyed focused his potent necromantic magic’s striking princess and fledgling knight in the back with decaying necrotic energies.

Faces twisted in agony both fell to the ground. Everypony turned to the newest threat in alarm. “I expected more of the supposedly unbeatable Queen Galaxia. Apparently she needs aid after all.” His voice sounded…terribly wrong coming from the young mares mouth.

Shining Armor charged to his wife’s aid with Umbra at his side. The stallion had no time to react as a flare of acrid green flashed from the rubble of another building, catching him square in the flank and sending him tumbling into the alicorn at his side.

Queen Chrysalis stepped fully into view smirking delightedly. “Come come now Sir Lich. Our new friend here has been asleep for some time. She’s not at her best.”

Galaxia had risen to her feet by now, cold magic rolling from her form in her rage. “I am not…but I am swiftly reaching that point.”

Author's Note:

One chapter to go! Big finish should be up tomorrow. I really wanna get this out haha. Once I'm done with Settling In I'll write the last couple chapters of Umbral Travels! Some of the fights in this one will be more fleshed out over there.