• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,758 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,758

Chapter 6: Weekend at Luna's Part 1

Chapter 6: Weekend at Luna’s Part 1

Friday was finally here and Jennifer could barely contain her excitement. She’d somehow managed to sit through the entirety of her classes Hearth’s Warming presentations, and she could say with certainty she understood the reason for the season as it were. The story with the windigoes was certainly interesting, but after hearing the seventh interpretation of it her focus had been slipping. When Cheerilee announced class was over she was on her feet and dashing for the door with the rest of the class.

She spied Applebloom and the other two crusaders trotting happily toward the run down steeple. She was eager to be on the train to Canterlot but responsibility came first. With a sigh she followed them over. “So what d’you think Bloom? Can you save it?”

The little earth filly nudged the door open…and it fell inward off the hinges. “Mmmm.” She trotted inside, fillies and girl trailing, remaining quiet as she slowly paced around. “It’ll take alotta elbow grease. This place ain’t worse off than our clubhouse, but it’s a whole lot bigger. Still! Ah reckon me an the girls can have it in ship shape fer ya by the time y’all come back from Canterlot.”

Jen’s eyes widened. “What? Oh no I can’t have you do it all on your own.” Which would be extremely ironic given the purpose for the renovations. “We’ll all do it together when I get back alright?”

If the girl hadn’t been in such a rush she would have noticed the sly look the fillies exchanged. “Of course Jennifer! We’ll wait!” Sweetie Belle smiled her angelic smile.

Scootaloo nodded. “For sure! We’ll totally wait!”

Finally Applebloom started nudging Jen out. “Yup! Y’all got nothin’ t’worry about! Have fun in Canterlot!”

Nodding absently Jen needed no more prodding. “Alright, you girls have a good weekend! I’ll see ya Sunday Applebloom!” Without a look back (if she had she’d see Applebloom already drawing up blueprints), she took off at a sprint for the farm. She was still in her earth aspect so she had little more than a light sheen of sweat from her long run. She’d been getting particular delight in how flustered her earth aspect seemed to get Big Mac, and never went without a chance to tease him.
Seeing the stallion busy kicking the trees in the orchard to free some frost she slowed and ambled toward him. Instantly he shifted his gaze from her to studiously focus on the ground. “Hey Mac!”

Not wanting to be rude he nodded a greeting. “Afternoon Jen.”

“Workin' hard?”

“Eeyup.”

“Want some company?”

“Eeyu-“ He caught himself. “Nope! M’sure Ah got it.”

She grinned and wandered to the next tree, dropping to all fours and mimicking his stance. She knew his eyes were glued to her. “I wanna try! So I just kick it?”

He bobbed his head in a slow nod. “Uh…yup.”

She coiled her leg and struck out as hard as she could. Suddenly a sharp CRACK rang through the orchard. Just as suddenly the stallions’ attention went from the comely young girl and to the tree. Said girl’s eyes were wide as she looked back at the tree…the tree that was slowly toppling. “Oh no-no-no…”

“WHAT IN TARNATION WAS THAT?!” Both whipped their head toward the barn, where an irate Applejack was galloping toward the pair.

“…y’know what? I think I got everything I need in my backpack! Homework and study stuff…sword, everything! I don’t need more clothes! I’ll wear this all weekend! See you when I get back Macintosh!”

“Y’best run faster’n ya ever run b’fore.”

“Y…yeah…” Casting one last glance at the furious farm pony drawing closer Jen wasted no time in breaking into a frantic run…leaving the farm and a hollering Applejack in her dust.

Jen didn’t slow her pace until she was nearing the train station, a surprised Pinkie Pie waiting for her. “Hey I didn’t think you’d be here so soon! It’s too bad the train’s just pulling out of the station.”

Hesitantly the girl cast a quick glance over her shoulder. She felt a chill run up her spine at the cloud of dust being kicked up from the direction of Sweet Apple Acres…and heading her way. “Know what Pinkie? I’ll get on this one!”

Eyes wide Pinkie looked from Jen to the slowly departing train. “This one? But it’s leaving! You missed it!”

“JENNIFER ALLEN! DON’T THINK AH’M NOT GONNA CATCH YA!”

Pinkie blinked again and hastily stuffed the ticket into Jen’s hand. “Well-bye-Jenny-bean-see-you-soon!”

Jen smiled a quick thanks to Pinkie and took off at a run for the departing train. It wasn’t up to full speed fortunately, so the girl was able to catch up quick enough. With a grunt she jumped and snagged the back rail of the caboose hauling herself over the edge. Looking back at the station she had time to see furious Applejack throw her hat to the ground, shaking her hoof at the escaped teenager.

If she weren’t so terrified she’d have found the scene hilarious, like a cartoon where the hero escapes the villain at the last second. Of course she was technically the villain in this scenario but those were semantics! With a sigh she turned to the train car and let herself in. Thank goodness ponies rarely if ever locked doors.

She managed to track down the conductor, who seemed more than a little surprised to see her, but when she presented the first class ticket (bearing the royal seal no less); he visibly relaxed and showed her to her car. Sinking gratefully into the seat she finally relaxed. NOW she had felt the dull burn in her muscles. She didn’t think she’d ever run so much in her entire life. Leaning her head against the window, she slowly drifted to sleep watching the gorgeous Equestrian country side slip by.

-Elsewhere-

“Are…are you absolutely certain m’lady?” The young night pony filly shifted from hoof to hoof before her beloved princess of the night.

Luna favored the young cadet with a smile. “I am. While unorthodox I feel this is a fine way to take her measure a bit. Besides…it may be fun.” She winked.

The filly didn’t seem to share her mirth. “If you’re absolutely sure m’lady…I will of course do my duty.”

-Jennifer-

Jen jerked awake when the train screeched to a halt and she heard the conductor announce, “Canterlot! Everypony disembark for Canterlot!”

Slowly she got to her feet and threw her pack over her shoulder, merging with the crowd departing the train. Most were Ponyvillians so they didn’t give her the odd looks she had come to grow accustomed to from new ponies. Stepping out onto the platform was another story, she was greeted by the gasps, gapes, pointing and whispering she’d been subjected to on the road through Detrot, and in Ponyville when she’d first been introduced. With a sigh she shrugged it off and set out for the castle.

She was surprised to see a very unhappy looking member of Luna’s guard standing in the street right off the platform. She looked young…maybe Jennifer’s age when she was a pony, though dressed in the intimidating armor that Twilight had said provided the glamor to give her yellow eyes and bat like wings. She was holding a sign that read “Jennifer Allen Pie”…naturally Jen approached.

“Uh…hi?”

The batpony let the sign drop from her mouth. “You’re Jennifer? …right that’s a silly question. I’m Echo, your assigned guard, tour guide, and all around assistant as ordered by Princess Luna.”

Jen blinked. “O…oh that’s not necessary really! I’m sure I can get by just fine.” She offered the pony a smile, but it faded as she noted how exhausted she looked. “…I’m guessing you’re not a morning pony.”

Echo managed a little chuckle. “That’s an understatement. None of us are really, but m’lady said you needed an escort and so here I am. Ready to get a move on?”

With a nod Jen fell into step beside her. The pony cast a curious glance up at her. “That all the luggage you brought?”
“Oh uh…yeah I left in a hurry. Really…excited to get here.”

“Oh! Well I can’t blame you for that. M’lady is a wonderful pony, I’m sure you’re in for the time of your life this weekend.”
Jen smiled. Echo looked a bit intimidating but she seemed nice enough. “So…you’re one of Princess Luna’s guards?”

“I am! …well…I’m one in training. I’m a cadet, still just a filly by my people’s standards.” Echo heaved a sigh and kicked an errant rock across the sidewalk. “It’s not fair, REGULAR ponies my age are full-fledged guards.”

“I feel ya. I’m going to school with foals who’re like ten years old. I’m gonna be sixteen next month and it’s a little embarrassing.”

“Huh. I’m sixteen! What a coincidence huh?”

Jen chuckled. “That is…I wonder if that’s why the princess chose you?”

Echo looked away suddenly. “That’s probly it. C’mon we’ll take a carriage the rest of the way, since we can’t fly and I don’t feel like walking and being gawked at the whole way.”

That was when Jennifer realized the attention she was receiving was being split equally between herself and the bat winged filly. They must not be very common outside the castle. After watching Echo unsuccessfully try to get a carriage to stop for them for several minutes, Jen gave a snort of irritation and just stepped into the way of the next empty one approaching.
The driver looked from the imposing, muscular human girl to the glowering night pony and seemed to have trouble deciding which to be more afraid of. “C…can I help you with something?”

Suddenly Jen’s scowl shifted to a radiant smile. “As a matter of fact yes! My friend and I are trying to get to the castle, would you be so kind? Princess Luna herself is waiting on us and well…I’m sure she’s not someone who likes to be kept waiting.”

“O…of course uh…miss? Yes of course hop on in!” He smiled timidly still looking from one girl to the other.

Still wearing her smile Jen climbed aboard, Echo following soon after. Once the door snapped shut they lurched forward, rolling toward the castle. “That was pretty excellent…the look on his face.”

Jen shared a smile with Echo. “Yeah it was. I’m guessing you guys don’t get around town much.”

She filly shrugged looking toward the window, squinting against the bright daylight. “No. Princess Celestia thought it best we integrate gradually with the natives.”

Something about that piqued Jen’s interest. “Natives? Aren’t you just pegasi wearing magic armor?”

Echo jerked and looked sharply over to the human, realizing she’d let something slip she shouldn’t have. “I ah…well of course! It’s just…” Seeing the girl arch a brow unbelievingly she sighed. “No. I’m sure I don’t have to explain to you about other worlds?”

“Uh…no.”

“Right. Well…there’s a world very much like Equestria…you could call it Equestria’s shadow. Everything here casts a shadow there. My people are to put it simply, the shadows cast by ponies. M’lady Luna visited our realm regularly in her youth and was disturbed at our plight. I mean as scary as we look, imagine a dragon or manticore over there? Every day was a life and death struggle for my people.”

Echo had Jennifer’s full attention now. “So…what happened?”

“She shared our story with her sister Celestia…” Jen detected a hint of bitterness in Echo’s voice at the mention of the day princess. “Who eventually allowed us to migrate here to Equestria, giving us many dank and cramped caves to settle in. She was worried our…unique appearance would unsettle her precious little ponies.”

“She was obviously right. It probly doesn’t help you were scowling the whole time we were out there.”

This brought a snort from the pony. “Well Lady Luna fought long and hard for our rights, and got her sister to agree to let us out in public, in small doses…and under the ruse that we were normal pegasi magic’d up to look more…I don’t know, nightish?”

“Hm.” Jen leaned back in the seat, hands folded behind her head. “Things might be different nowadays. I mean the folk in Ponyville were…shocked and a bit nervous around me at first. But they warmed up pretty quickly. You guys should see if Luna will let you out a bit more. Stop lurking in the shadows.”

“LADY Luna…” Echo corrected. “Has suggested we do just that. Most of my kind are reluctant. Afraid we’ll cause a panic and wind up like the changelings, booted out of Equestria.” The pony frowned staring hard at Jennifer. “Aren’t you supposed to have a horn?”

“Eh? Oh that…” Jen shrugged. “I’ve been trying out all the forms my bracelet offers, earth pony’s been surprisingly fun. I’m like a borderline super hero.”

This seemed to confuse Echo further. “I don’t know about all that, but Lady Luna was expecting a human girl to practice her magic with. I doubt you can do magic right now.”

With a simple shrug Jen brushed the unicorn charm on her bracelet. With a flash her muscle was gone and her horn returned. “I can do that.”

Eyes wide Echo looked from the horn to the bracelet. “That…lets you become members of the other tribes?”
“Oh yeah. I can even go full pony but it’s still a little awkward for me. Why?”

“Does it…work for anypony who wears it?”

Thinking back to her little trip with Lyra the girl gave a nod. “It does. Lu…” She wilted at Echo’s warning look. “Lady Luna gave it to me to help me adjust to life in Equestria.”

The carriage came to an abrupt stop. “Canterlot Castle fillies!”

The pair climbed out of the carriage, and just as Jen began to reach for the few bits Pinkie had given her before she left, the driver charged away as fast as he could. “Huh. Maybe being scary has its advantages?” She turned a grin down to the night pony, who did not seem to share her mirth.

“Come along, m’lady should be rising from her slumber anytime now.” Jen followed Echo into the castle, stopping every now and then to admire some piece of artwork or statuary that caught her eye. There were plenty of daytime guards about, who gave the girl a curious look but were obviously told to expect her. The servants were a little more open about their curiosity, but all were professionals. Gradually the pair made their way through the main corridors and up a spiraling staircase.

Gently Echo nudged the door at the top open, and Jen had to work REALLY hard not to burst into laughter. There sprawled awkwardly across a massive four poster bed was Princess Luna. A huge stuffed bat clenched tightly in her forelegs, one hind leg raised in the air kicking now and again. Her lovely mane and tail had lost their sparkling stars, and lay flat on the covers a vivid blue color. An embarrassingly noticeable line of drool ran from her wide open mouth to pool on the pillow. Even under Echo’s warning glare Jen could only contain herself for so long…and against her will a bellowing “HA!” escaped her lips.

With a decidedly un-princess like snort Luna’s eyes rolled open and she glanced around blearily, prompting Jen to completely lose her composure and burst into wild fits of laughter. Eyes widening in alarm the Princess hastily rolled off her bed settling on her hooves…wiping at her muzzle hastily she did her best to regain her royal dignity. Whether it was seeing her liege’s comic attempts at looking impressive…or the girl at her side rolling on the ground howling with laughter, Echo began to snicker herself.

“IF YOU TWO ARE QUITE FINISHED.”

Both girl and filly’s laughter was cut short as the princess bellowed loud enough to send the pair scooting along the floor and almost back out the door. Echo immediately fell prostrate upon the ground; while Jen bowed low….though the laughter hadn’t left her eyes. “I’m sorry your highness I was a little…surprised seeing you look so normal when you slept.”

“Y…yes well…it is a pleasure to see you again fair Jennifer. I hope your trip was pleasant.”

“Yes ma’am, the train ride is always relaxing. I usually conk right out. I think I even drooled a little on my seat cushion.”

An amused snort came from the still bowing Echo, and Luna cast a warning glare between girl and filly…not entirely sure if she were being teased or not. “You may rise cadet.” Echo instantly climbed to her hooves. Luna’s horn began to glow softly as her mane and tail filled out and wafted gently in the still air, sparkling motes of light bursting to life throughout. Outside the sun had begun its lazy descent, and the moon just not peeking up.

“I am ever so pleased you accepted my invitation Jennifer. I believe we have a lot we can teach one another.” Luna walked past the pair and began to descent the stairs of her tower, Jen and Echo hastily following.

“Er…what do you have to learn from me Princess?”

“When last we spoke I believe I asked you to call me Luna did I not?”

Jen cast a quick glance at the aghast Echo before nodding. “Yes ma’am…er…Luna. Sorry. Habit.”

“As to your question…you are a bright young filly from another world. One I only visited once, and briefly at that. After the business with Discord I obviously could not resume my studies of your home. Though what I saw piqued my curiosity intensely. I am looking forward to hearing tales of your homeland.”

The girl gave a little nod. “I see. To be honest I’m a lot more interested in learning what you can teach me. Equestria is a lot more exciting than Earth.”

The princess laughed gently at that. “You truly think so do you not? I suppose that is to be expected when two beings from completely different worlds meet. I believe this will be an exciting weekend for both of us. Speaking of learning. While you are here I would like to begin your magical training in addition to studying our political system and swordplay.”

Jen simply shrugged. “I figured I’d start learning with Twilight but I have a feeling you could teach me a lot she can’t.”

Luna’s magical aura gripped a pair of doors and admitted the trio into a huge library. Rows of books went on so far Jen had to squint to see where they stopped. “I do not know about that. Twilight Sparkle is one of the most gifted unicorns I have ever encountered. I can share some personal magic’s, but I cannot think of a better teacher.”

A book drifted down from one of the many rows, to hover before Jennifer, who hesitantly accepted it. “This is an excellent prime for a beginner in magic. Required reading for most unicorn foals starting out.”

Glancing at the cover Jen saw it pictured a little unicorn filly sitting studiously while an older unicorn was pointing to a black board. ‘The basics of magic and you.’ “Well…I’ll give it a read.”

“I would also ask you to indulge me in a brief test of your ability. Very simple really. Touch your horn to mine and focus some of your energy through it. It will give me a general idea of your potential.”

This sounded vaguely familiar to what Twilight asked her to do earlier, which resulted in a sparking pile of metallic ruin. “Er…that might be dangerous.”

Luna gave her a warm smile. “Not at all child. I assure you that you cannot harm me. This is a simple test.”

Setting the book on a nearby table Jennifer approached the midnight blue alicorn slowly. With a deep breath she knelt before her, and Luna lowered her horn to meet Jen’s. Closing her eyes tightly she focused on her inner energies…feeling them swell out, up and through her horn. Then…she heard a dull WHUMP.

Not opening her eyes she bit her lip. “…Princess?”

The only sound was heavy breathing…than approaching hoofsteps as Echo came closer. “Uh…Princess Luna?”

Jen cracked an eye open…to see the princess laying prostate before her. “AGH I KILLED HER!”

Echo lurched forward putting an ear on the alicorns chest. “No! No she’s breathing! She’s fine!”

The panicking girl didn’t seem to hear her. “I killed her! I committed regicide! I told her it was a bad idea!” She whirled on the night pony. “What do I do?! W…we have to…we have to hide the body! We can bury her in the gardens!”

If she hadn’t been in such a state of panic she’d have seen the Princess’ eyes fly open in alarm, looking at the human girl’s back.
Jen stopped her pacing and took a few ragged labored breaths. “N…no we can’t do that. We’ll go get help! I’ll go find a doctor!”

Echo saw her liege relax visibly as the girl seemed to regain some of her senses. “There’s no need for that. It would be a bad idea in fact…you’ll be thrown in the dungeon for attacking the crown.”

This brought another agonized moan from the poor girl who sank to her knees distraught. “What do I do?!”

Casting a surprisingly scathing glance at the princess Echo stood in front of Jennifer. “She’s fine she’s in er…Alicorn…stasis.” That sounded smart enough. “It happens when they get an overload of magic, they do that to uh….acclimate it?” She peeked over Jen’s shoulder to see Luna giving her a comforting nod. “Yes! And…she’ll be fine in…a few hours…?” Luna shook her head. “…a day?” The princess seemed to be mulling that over then finally nodded. “Yes! A day!”

If Jen had noticed Echo’s peculiar speech patterns she didn’t show it. “O…okay…she’ll be fine in a day! W…well that’s something…what…do we do with her until then?”

Luna was shifting her eyes from Echo to the book lying on the table. “Uh…maybe that book…has something that can help?”

“Oh! G…good idea Echo!” Lurching to her feet Jen grabbed the book and frantically flipped through it. “Maybe it shows how to end the stasis thingy!”

At another shake of the head from the princess Echo frowned. “No…I think it has to run its course. But maybe there’s a spell in there or something to help us hide this…until tomorrow night?”

Jen was hopping from foot to foot anxiously as she scanned the table of contents. If she’d been in her right mind she’d have been SLIGHTLY suspicious that a chapter titled “Control Spells” was underline…but she didn’t pause to consider her good fortune, she just flipped to the chapter. “Oh! Oh! The first spell! It’s even circled! Ventriloquism!”

Echo rolled her eyes…either at Luna’s less than subtle machinations, or at the girls’ naiveté. “Well you don’t know a lot of magic though right?”

Jennifer’s eyes flew across the page. “It says this is VERY basic! The unicorns just have to establish a basic connection…which I can do! If the subject is willing or unconscious there’s almost no effort involved at all!”

“My that IS convenient.”

“It is! So…so I can just…do THIS…and…pretend she’s awake and stuff all night!”

With a flap of her wings Echo settled on the table before the suddenly excited girl. “You realize that means you’ll have to pretend to be Lady Luna all night? What if she receives petitioners?”

Jen snorted gently. “She told me she NEVER receives those, everypony’s too scared of her.” She thought she heard the princess snort, but looking back and seeing her still unconscious it must have been a snore. “We can just…get something to eat then uh…sit around on the throne all night?”

Now came the part Echo was REALLY not thrilled about. Jennifer seemed like a nice enough…thing. Human…filly. She was going with filly. Jennifer seemed like a nice enough filly, she had even shown her kindness which was something rare outside of her lady and her brethren. “You know there could be some opportunity in this for you.”
The girl looked up from the book to the pony lying on the table. “What? What d’you mean?”

Echo shrugged. “I mean, if you were controlling the Princess all night…you could have her do whatever you wanted. You could issue yourself piles of bits from the treasury, have her pass all sorts of crazy laws, the sky’s the limit!”

“Wh…what?! Why would I do that?! It’s bad enough I…I knocked her into…”

“Alicorn stasis.” Echo supplied.

“That! Bad enough I did that but now you think I should…do even MORE illegal stuff?! What kind of guard are you??”
Echo seemed a bit taken aback by the sudden vehemence in Jenifer’s voice. “Alright alright don’t get all bent out of shape, it was just an idea.”

Jen hmphed looking again back at the princess. “…I dunno, maybe this is a bad idea. I should just turn myself in.”

The night pony sighed. “There’s no need for that. I mean she’s not harmed, and she wouldn’t want to see you spend time in the dungeon. You’re right we’ll get something to eat, sit in the throne all night than go to bed. Maybe I can find us a deck of cards or something to pass the time.”

The girl’s breathing was slowly evening out…finally she stood. “Alright. You’re right…thanks Echo. Sorry I snapped. I’m…freaking out a little.”

Now the deception was weighing even heavier on the young filly. “Hey it’s alright, I’d be upset too.” She frowned down at her liege, who was doing a very good job looking completely out of it again.

“Alright the book says once I establish the connection…the puppet,” she gestured to the Princess. “Should respond to my mental commands…so…I just think and she does stuff?”

Echo shrugged. Now she genuinely had no idea. “I don’t gotta horn Jen. Magic isn’t my specialty.”

Nodding the girl turned back to the alicorn. “Right...now or never I guess…” With a frown of concentration she sent her energy toward the princess. She felt a little jolt as it reached the larger horn, and she willed her aura to spread down it to cover the princess fully.

“Hm...got something to cover your horn? Might give you away.”

“Oh! Uhhh….” Jen tugged her hood over her head. “Eh?”

“Yeah good enough. …did the spell work?”

Naturally Luna wasn’t unconscious…but she was willing. And she even bolstered Jennifer’s clumsy attempt with a bit of magic of her own, ensuring the spell took hold. She almost ruined the illusion by yelping in surprise when her body suddenly lurched back to its hooves.

“Oh! Look at that!”

Echo was watching with raised brows. “Right…so…dining hall?”

“R…right! Let’s…go?” It wasn’t easy focusing on making the princess walk while she walked herself. It got even worse when she hadn’t correctly gauged how quickly she was guiding her…and with a splintering crunch Luna’s horn…than head rammed through the door of the library and out into the hall.

Human and filly both gasped audibly, Jennifer horrified…Echo in amusement. She had a feeling Lady Luna hadn’t quite thought this all out as thoroughly as she should have, and if she intended to keep the ruse up all night she was likely going to be sorry.

A loud yelp echoed from the hall and the pair could hear a muffled voice. “P…Princess Luna is…is everything alright?”
Jen exchanged a look of panic with Echo, the latter motioning toward the princess. With a deep breath the girl willed the princess to speak.

“YES I AM FINE! I SIMPLY…HAVE ALWAYS HATED THIS DOOR.”

“Turn down the volume!” Echo hissed.

“O…oh I…I see…well I’ll…have it removed at once! A…and replaced?”

“Very good! See that you do! Uh…good mare.”

Jen gave a helpless shrug to Echo, who was working harder and harder to contain her laughter. She couldn’t hide a snort as the princess suddenly jerked back into the room, taking a good chunk of the door with her. Hastily Jennifer worked the splintered wood from around the alicorns neck, and brushed some errant splinters from her back and mane.
“That…didn’t go so poorly right?”

The filly shrugged. “Other than making Lady Luna look like a lunatic, not at all.”

She was sure if her lady could move her face she’d be glaring at the cadet. Cautiously Jen peeked into the hall, seeing it clear she stepped out first, maneuvering Luna more carefully through the doorway. “R…right…Echo can you lead the way to the dining room?”

“Sure…c’mon this way. Nice and easy.” The bat pony took the lead of the unusual procession. Human girl walking with measured steps, regal alicorn princess doing the same, staring at the floor almost as if she had to focus on how to move her legs properly.

They drew more than a few curious gazes from the night guard and evening staff, though Luna’s reputation was still an intimidating one…and word about her fit with the door seemed to have spread quickly enough. Nopony wanted to be on the receiving end of an upset Princess Luna. A pair of servants hastily opened the doors for the little troupe, and they were soon in the dining room with a bevy of dishes being set out on the table.

Jen and Echo took seats on either side of Luna, who Jen directed to the head of the table. If the servants thought their princess acting odd they didn’t comment, simply began setting her meal for her. For a moment Jennifer was surprised at the breakfast food being laid out, then she recalled Luna and her night guard were nocturnal…plus those waffles looked awesome.

Apparently that line of thinking reached the magically controlled alicorn, who dipped her head forward, planting her face in the plate and laying into them loudly. Filly and human exchanged horrified looks, and Jen hastily had Luna straighten back up, bits of waffle falling from her muzzle.

The staff alternated between horrified and grossed out. “I REALLY REALLY LOVE WAFFLES.” Their princess belted out. The room was hastily cleared.

Echo had to close her eyes, taking deep breaths and counting back from ten…than twenty…she was down to around negative thirty before she felt safe to look up at her princess and not burst into laughter. A mortified Jennifer was cleaning the princess’ muzzle with a napkin. “It IS true though, Lady Luna loves waffles.”

Now Jen couldn’t hold it back, and she began to laugh at the whole situation. Soon enough the night pony joined in, and their laughter echoed through the dining hall and into the corridors beyond. Focus slipping again, her Luna-puppet was laughing maniacally in moments as well. The girls both blinked over at her…then started laughing all the harder, Jennifer actually falling out of her chair.

For her part…Luna was definitely beginning to have second thoughts about this whole ‘test the girls character without her knowing’ scheme. If things kept going as they were all of Equestria was likely to assume she was a raving lunatic. With an inward sigh she called up the magic to break the spell.

…or tried to. Realization slowly began to sink in. When she bolstered Jennifer’s magic with her own to help the spell take hold, she had inadvertently given the girl access to her own nearly inconceivable power. Without meaning too Jennifer was drawing on not only her own, but Luna’s magic as well to fuel the ventriloquism spell. Meaning that until Jennifer ended the spell on her own…it wasn’t ending. The princess didn’t panic…she knew when the night was over Jen would release her. She just prayed to any higher powers listening that nothing else could go wrong.

Once the youngsters had calmed some, the meal resumed at a more sedate pace. Luna had to admit she was impressed by the young human’s focus. She was managing to eat her own food, and keep the princess eating without making another spectacle with surprising deftness. What pleased her even more was the clear bond of friendship forming between the young night pony and the girl. She’d been growing ever more concerned about her guards’ place in Equestria…but watching the pair it seemed as though perhaps the time had finally come for the night ponies to step out of the shadows and join their fellow citizens.

“We should be heading for the throne room soon…I think it might be best if you go uh…full unicorn while we’re there. On the off chance someone DOES come in, this is gonna look weird enough without having a…human sitting there too.” Echo had finished off her plate and slid it aside, hopping off the chair.

With a nod Jen kicked off her shoes and wiggled out of her clothes, keeping the high backed chair between her and the ponies in the room to preserve some modesty. Gripping the unicorn charm firmly a bright flash lit the hall, than the clop of hooves hitting the ground. Slowly the girl turned filly peeked around the chair wearing the ill-fitting hoodie to conceal her horn. “Can you dump my clothes wherever I’ll be staying? I’ll meetcha in the throne room.”

It took Echo a moment to recover from the change. If she didn’t know better she’d say this was an ordinary unicorn filly (albeit one wearing a legendary sword who had metal all over her teeth). “Uh…sure. You know the way?”

With a nod the green filly led the enchanted Luna through the halls and to the throne room, parking the Princess upon the throne and seating herself beside it. Gazing up at Luna, Jen sighed softly. “I hope you’re awake tomorrow…this is too stressful.”

Slowly she eased onto her belly, and rested her head on her forelegs, gazing lazily at the big doors she knew led to the waiting rooms outside. She let her eyes wander across the beautiful stain glass windows depicting important moments in Equestrian history, allowing herself to smile seeing several featuring her friends.

Jennifer almost jumped out of her skin when the waiting room doors opened and the earth pony secretary she’d seen in the past hurried in. “Princess…you…have a visitor? Where is the human?”

Jen almost answered vocally but remembered she just had to think for the princess to speak. She made a mental effort to keep her from bellowing. “This is my student. Do not concern yourself with the human. What do you want?” Inwardly Jen winced, she was making Luna sound a little bitchy…also it was REALLY hard to talk without using contractions like she’d heard Luna do.

“Uhh…” The secretary seemed less sure of herself now. “W…well…there is a problem. A land dispute, the parties insisted this be settled by the highest authority.”

What?! Nopony was supposed to EVER want to see Luna?! “WHAT?! NOPONY EVER WANTS TO SEE LUNA!”

Jennifer managed not to panic as the secretary paled. “W…well I wouldn’t be so blunt but…but with Princess Celestia indisposed they...have to come to you.”

The filly knew how much Luna wanted to have her ponies come to her to solve their problems as well. She’d seemed so sad when she said none of them every petitioned her night court for anything. If she sent them away now she might not ever get another chance.

“Very well. Show them in.” That was better. Luna definitely had a gentle voice when she wanted to.

Slowly an earth pony shuffled in. He looked older, with a brown coat and grey mane. Jen was surprised to see the sideburns running along the sides of his muzzle. He was fussing with his tie and carried a weather beaten black hat around one hoof, having removed it in respect. The stallion kept his gaze lowered respectfully. “I appreciate you seeing us Princess.”

“Yes yes, let’s just get this nonsense over with.” In stark contrast to the earth stallion, a snooty looking unicorn trotted in, nearly bowling the poor fellow over. Jen took an instant dislike to his slicked back mane and flashy purple suit.

This was going to be hard enough to focus on without having to operate Luna and not speak aloud herself, so she smiled coming up with a clever solution. “My protégé here is studying to become a politician, so she shall be handling this dispute while I observe.”

Both stallions exchanged looks, but neither seemed to object over much, much to the filly’s relief. She straightened up a bit as they focused on her. “And your name miss?” The unicorn demanded more than asked.

“Oh! Yes I’m J….jeeeee….” Another look crossed between the stallions, before Jennifer was struck by another genius inspiration! She certainly was getting those a lot. “Jubilant Surprise Pie.” She beamed. That definitely sounded like a Pinkie-esque name, certainly something she’d name her own filly one day. The unicorn nodded but the earth pony narrowed his eyes.

“Pie?”

“Uh…yessir.” Her smile faltered a bit.

“…any relation to a Pinkamina Pie?”

“Um…if that’s a big fancy way of saying Pinkie Pie, yes. She’s my mother.”

Now Jen had never seen anyone’s jaw ACTUALLY drop before. Maybe someone’s mouth open in surprise, but never actually drop. She began to shuffle uncomfortably while the earth pony collected himself, the unicorn just looked perplexed.

“How old are you?”

“Um…I don’t see how that’s anyone’s business but mine.” Jen was feeling more nervous…where the hell was Echo?!
The stallion frowned and stepped closer, prompting the unicorn to do the same. “I think I have a right to know how old my own granddaughter is.”

Uh...what?

“Uh…what?”

“Pinkamina Pie is my daughter. I’m Clyde Pie. And if what you’re saying is the truth, I’m your grandfather.”

Uh oh.

Blinking slowly the filly looked from the earth pony to the princess, who spoke next. “I can assure you Mr. Pie that…Jubilant is indeed Pinkie Pie’s daughter.”

He seemed at a loss for words, plopping his backside on the floor. “So…I’m a grandfather?”

Now Jen was starting to feel a little bad. Who knows what this would do to poor Pinkie when her dad left. Of course judging by the way she’d been acting she’d probably be ecstatic come to think of it.

“Yes this is all very touching but I’m not here to witness your family reunion Pie, we have business to attend.” The unicorn fixed Jennifer with a glare. “I hope you can come to a fair judgment despite the familial relationship.”

The filly shrugged. “Well I mean, of course I just met the guy. It’s not like I really know him or anything.”

Her words caused the elder Pie to flinch, and his look hardened. “She’s right. Let’s get on with this so I can get back to work.”

“Would anypony like to actually tell me what the problem is?” The side door opened and Jen was relieved to see Echo enter and take her place beside the worried filly.

“Very well miss, I’m Duke Land Grab.” Jen managed not to roll her eyes, THERE was an honest name. “Going through my family records it turns out I own the land that Mr. Pie here is currently occupying.”

Clyde interrupted slamming his hoof on the floor. “Land the Pie family has been occupying for four generations!” Seeing the startled looks on the two young ponies’ faces (Luna was surprisingly composed at the outburst!), the stallion calmed. “I apologize miss. This has been a trying time.”

The Duke snorted. “Be that as it may, the land is mine. I own it, and now I want it.”

Jen furrowed her brow in thought. “Why now? What’s changed that it’s suddenly become important. From what I remember P…mom said she grew up on a...rock farm?”

Despite the situation Clyde chuckled softly. “Still calls it that does she? It’s actually a quarry Miss. We cut granite and sheet rock that gets sent all over Equestria for construction purposes.”

“Oh! Well that makes a lot more sense than a rock farm. I tried hard to figure out how somepony farms rocks but mom never really elaborated.”

Clyde’s smile faded. “My eldest, your aunt Black Opal uncovered a vast gem deposit down in the quarry. We’ve barely gotten the first jewels dug out before this…stallion,” (Jen had a sneaking suspicion stallion wasn’t what Clyde had meant to say), “…swooped in waving these papers and saying the land was his.”

“Can I see the papers?”

Baron Land Grab presented them with a flourish of her magic...to the ponies surprise Jennifer took them in her teeth and spread them on the floor before her, rather than using her own magic to do so. Silence reigned as she began to read over the documents before her.

She did her best to find some kind of hole to poke in the documents, but they seemed pretty clear cut. She was sure if her dad were here he’d find all sorts of legal loopholes and shenanigans to help Mr. Pie out. Slowly she shuffled them back together, but stopped and nosed out one of the last sheets. “Mr. Pie this map here, this is where your house is?”

With a cautious glance at the still silent, and seemingly day dreaming princess the earth pony approached, looking over the map. “Yes miss. The family farm house has sat there since well before I was born.”

Jen indicated the space behind it with a hoof. “What’s here? The part not on the map.”

Clyde leaned in a bit closer. “Well that’d be the quarry miss.”

Now the filly looked to the Duke. “Why isn’t it on the map?”

He shrugged as if it didn’t matter. “Well I’m sure I have no idea, I didn’t draw up the papers myself.”

“Oh. Thank you Mr. Pie you can step down.” The stallion did so, confusion clearly written on his face. “It all looks pretty clear cut to me. The Duke does in fact own the land shown here on the map, regardless of how long the Pie family has been living there.”

At her pronouncement the Duke puffed his chest out further, while Clyde’s face fell. “So I have no choice but to ask Mr. Pie to relocate his family home to another location. Duke Land Grab of course may do what he likes with his land.”

“Thank you young filly, you are obviously wise beyond your years.” The pair turned to go, but Jennifer cleared her throat.

“Mr. Pie. By the authority invested in me by Princess Luna, I’d like to offer you a business opportunity.” Both stallions looked up at the filly in confusion. “It seems there’s a sizeable gem deposit in this unowned quarry and well, it’d be wasteful to let them just sit there with no one mining them yes?”

Realization slowly dawned on the earth stallion. “W…well yes I suppose so.”

Jen looked to the night pony at her side. “Echo about how much would a piece of land like that quarry cost?”

“Uh…I have no idea?” The winged filly seemed a bit out of sorts.

“Could you find someone who could find out for me, so we can get the proper papers worked out with Mr. Pie? Maybe we can issue some sort of loan or something. While you’re at it see what you can do about finding some reliable movers to get his house settled somewhere on the other side of his quarry.”

With a look from Luna to Jen, Echo nodded. “Y…yes ma’am right away.” She galloped from the room as fast as she could.
Jennifer was definitely starting to see signs of Pinkie in her father’s growing smile. The Duke by contrast looked absolutely livid. “Now hold on just one minute, I wanted that gem mine!”

Jen glanced at him as if remembering he was in the room. “Well I want lots of things but you don’t see me wearing solid gold underpants.” One of her uncle’s favorite sayings when she was being whiny and demanding. “You own the land the Pie family’s house is on. The Pie family is moving their house. This dispute is settled yes?”

“I...y…you…Princess you cannot let this…this travesty pass!” The Duke was practically purple in the face with rage.

Now Jen shifted her focus up to the Princess. “Jubilant was given full authority in the matter; she has resolved it to the letter of the law. This dispute is settled. Good evening Duke.” Jen had to hide a smile at how official she had made the princess sound.

Mouth opening and closing, the Duke spun on his hooves and stormed off, leaving an awkward Jen alone with the stallion who thought he was her grand-father. “I really can’t thank you enough miss.”

Jen waved a hoof. “No need for that miss business, we’re uh…family after all. Jubilant is fine.”

He chuckled and approached again. “I suppose we are at that. Thank you for this…Jubilant. You don’t know what it means to our family. Something like this is going to change our lives.”

“Well you should stop by Ponyville and let mom know the good news in person.”

The old stallion snorted. “Oh you bet your backside I’m going to stop over in Ponyville. I have a granddaughter, Princess Luna’s very own student and she didn’t bother to tell me…you’re HOW old?”

Jen winces. “Fifteen?”

Another angry snort. “…though I suppose Pinkamina’s not the only one to blame. We were all pretty hurt when she up and left. She’d sent letter for a while but…I was too stubborn to answer them. Then one day they just stopped…I guess she gave up.” He eyed Jen a moment. “I’m guessing she’s not your birth mother then.”

“Heh…no no I’m adopted. She took me in when I wandered into Ponyville with nowhere else to go.”

“Hrm. Sounds like her. Well…it was truly a pleasure to meet you Miss Jubilant Surprise Pie. I hope we see each other again soon. For now sounds like I’ve a meeting with some law clerks and the like.”

Jen offered a smile. “It was nice to meet you too sir. And stop by Ponyville, I think Pinkie would love to see you.”

Luna’s concern for the situation eased the longer Jennifer talked, and concern turned to pride at the girl’s resolution to the legal dispute. Even if the Duke brought it up again he had no legal legs to stand on and she could dismiss it outright. Though she was cursing the spell now more than ever…her nose was beginning to itch.

Echo was in the doorway, watching as Clyde left. “Well I sent a clerk to talk to Mr. Pie. I doubt you made m’lady more popular with the upper crust of Canterlot…but I have a feeling she’ll be seeing more of the common ponies in the near future when word of this gets around.”

Jen just collapsed on her back, legs splayed. “Uuuugh I thought I was gonna throw up like five times. And what’re the odds that guy would be Pinkie’s dad?!”

“Pretty unlikely there Jubilant Surprise.” The night pony smirked at the other filly, who gave a snort in response.

“Well I couldn’t just say Jennifer, that’d be a little obvious. And I Tried to think of a name Pinkie would think of.”

“I haven’t met her in person but I’ve heard the stories, pretty good shot in the dark I’d say.”

Jen rolled onto her belly. “So…now what?”

The pair passed the rest of the evening with the deck of cards Echo dug up. Now and again they’d have to stop when one of the staff or a guard had something to bring up with Luna, but they were such trivial details that it was easy enough to handle it. Poor Echo looked like she could barely keep her eyes open as she led Jennifer, who was leading Luna back to the princesses’ chambers just before sun up. “How are you not tired?”

The other filly looked away. “Promise not to tell anyone?”

Echo shrugged, her curiosity piqued now.

“I’ve been having…pretty awful nightmares for weeks. I tried to ignore them at first but they just got worse and worse…so finally I used a little bit of magic so I uh, don’t need to sleep anymore.”

The night pony tilted her head. “I thought you were sucky with magic.”

Jen shrugged now. “I am. It’s not unicorn magic it’s…” She glanced around the hall then up at the (she assumed), comatose princess. “…this.” She tapped the jewel around her neck. “I got it from Discord. As long as I use it for tiny stuff it’s fine. Just don’t tell anypony…people freak out about him.”

Echo sucked in her breath and shot her eyes up to Luna’s, who did not have a pleasant look in her eye. “Uh…yeah because he’s Discord.”

“I know I know.” They reached the chambers at the top and Jen guided the princess into her bed. “But the Sword of Harmony keeps its corrupting voice out of my head. It’s harmless. I’m not about to like…try making it rain lemonade or turn stuff into giant piles of bits or anything. I know I’m not SUPPOSED to use it I just…it’d been going on almost a week with no sleep. I’ve got everypony back home convinced I’m fine now. I pretend to sleep and it seems to work out.”

Her friend was relieved to see the hard edge in Luna’s eyes turn sympathetic. “Well…as long as you know what you’re doing, I won’t tell anypony.”

Jen smiled and sank to the floor of Luna’s room. “Thanks Echo. I’m glad I met you, you’re pretty cool.”

“Heh…back atcha.” The cadet glanced back at her liege flopped unceremoniously on the bed. “You can probly end the spell now; I bet her stasis’ll be over any minute.”

“Oh! Yeah good idea!” Jen severed the connection with her horn. Both fillies shrieked as the alicorn sprang from the bed and dashed from the room as fast as her hooves could take her, slamming the door opposite of the bedroom.
Looking to Echo, Jennifer frowned. “What’s in there?”

“The bathroom.”

Author's Note:

I blame this stupid chapter on a good friend of mine. I mentioned the title to him and he said "Is it about Jen and her wacky friend killing Luna and spending the weekend pretending she's alive?" Well it is now.