• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 2,760 Views, 180 Comments

Settling In - pchn00



The bad guy is beaten and the world is saved! Now Equestria's newest citizen has to contend with rambunctious fillies, school, and a whole slew of new teachers.

  • ...
13
 180
 2,760

Chapter 17: Knightly Duties

Chapter 17: Knightly Duty

“You didn’t forget anything right?”

Dinky shook her head rapidly. “Nope! Got my toothbrush, homework, and my nice dress! All packed.”

Jen smiled ruffling the filly’s mane with a hoof. “Alright well let’s get a move on. The train to Ponyville leaves in an hour.” Pulling the door open, the elder of the two waited for the younger to zip out of the suite before she followed behind her. “Didja have fun?”

“I did! And Princess Luna is so nice. And your fillyfriend Echo! And Mr. Fancy Pants! And uh…well Umbra was a little scary but Tak and Trixie are nice too*.” Dipping a wing Jen allowed Dinky to climb onto her back and she set out at an easy canter. They were taking an early train back so Luna and Echo were both sleeping and had said their goodbyes the night before.

They took a carriage to the train station. Normally Jen liked walking through the streets but with Dinky along they’d more than likely get side tracked a dozen times on the way to the station and they needed to be back in town sooner rather than later. Twilight was very insistent about everypony knowing precisely what they’d be doing for the wrap up tomorrow. Flashing the pass Luna issued her bearing the royal seal she and Dinky were ushered onto the train and to one of the private cars.

“So is that what you do EVERY weekend? Come to the castle and be all official with the princess then do sword fighting and fun stuff during the day?” The excited filly was talking fast enough to make Pinkie proud.

“Pretty much. Echo and I went out to a late dinner but you were in bed by then.”

Dinky huffed. “I don’t know why you couldn’t just make ME not have to sleep too!”

“Ehh…” Jen’s eyes drifted to the jewel bound around the hilt of Mercy now. Echo’s heartstone had taken its place at her neck. “I doubt your mom’d be wild about me crazy about me using Discord’s magic on you.”

Cheeks puffed up Dinky looked ready to go into pout mode anytime now. “Not like she cares WHAT I do.”

“Hrm. Did you finish all your homework?” When the filly started to look shifty Jen mm-hm’d. “Well you got a couple hours before we get to Ponyville. Crack those books.”

Rolling her eyes Dinky did as she was told. Jennifer likewise retrieved her own book.

***

Our meeting with the chancellor went much the same as Commander Lighting Strike. We had barely set foot in the town before he and his aides were bowing and ushering us into a grand feast thrown in our honor. I had to be rather assertive to convince them that we were in fact not interested in ruling the land, merely lending our aid to anypony in need. While confused at first, he came to realize we were genuine in our goals and the celebration began in earnest though everypony seemed to share in the jubilation. It was…unusual to see the earth pony’s so happy. Unusual but pleasant.

As Healing Touch no doubt intended it to do, this meeting with the worst off of our kin strengthened my faltering resolve. Seeing the hope in their eyes at the prospects of bettering their lot in life warmed even Silent Step’s heart. The trip back to the castle my fellows all talked excitedly amongst themselves. Making plans, sharing ideas. Silent managed to bond with her blades and add a rune of her own. She named them Night Singer.

King Diamond Dust seemed less than enthusiastic at our return. I do not doubt he had spies among the other two tribes and our plans no doubt reached his ears before we returned. His gaze was stern as he glared at the six of us from his throne.

“Explain to me why I should not have the six of you executed immediately for treason.”

My master was at his side watching us intently, but not saying anything. The others of course looked to me, and I stepped forward. “The simplest answer would be that you could not. If you brought the power of every unicorn in the kingdom to bear on the six of us I doubt it would be enough. We are not here to conquer or seize your throne. Keep your crown and title. We are here to inform you of the new status quo.”

The king looks outraged, but I continue. “The earth ponies and pegasi have already agreed to work together. An equal share of the earth pony’s food will be given in exchange for fair weather. This offer extends to the unicorns as well in exchange for raising the sun and the moon. If you do not wish to enter into the treaty then you will not be forced to do so. The unicorns are free to grow their own food and manipulate the weather over their lands however they please.”

There is much chatter among the king’s advisors. “You seem to be under the mistaken impression that they no longer need us. Nothing will change! If they refuse to fall in line we will refuse to raise the sun. Let us see how well their food grows in perpetual night.”

I shake my head. “No sire, you are mistaken. When Meteor Trail bonded the six of us it gave us more than enough magical power to tend to the sun and moon ourselves. We need no grand ritual or council of mages to perform the deed. Nor do we need pegasus pony’s to change the weather, or earth pony’s to grow our food. But we do not wish to do this. We’re all ponies’ sire. Being born with a horn or wings does not make us inherently better than our fellows; it simply gives us different way to contribute to the greater good. If we were a united people we would have had no need for some ritual to give the six of us power, everypony would be as strong. Only together, united in harmony will our people grow and strengthen. My fellow knights and I will be spending the night outside the castle. We expect your answer before noon tomorrow.”

I bow, just barely and turn to go. My fellows falling into step with me. The doors barely close behind us before the uproar begins. Noblepony’s bellowing and making their demands of the king. We do not speak until we exit the castle. Abundance and Sunshine begin setting up our campsite immediately. Comet Streak smirks at me. “Well that went well.”

I could only sigh and shake my head. “I just hope cooler heads prevail.”

Abundance glances at me worriedly. “Can we really raise the sun and the moon ourselves?”

“Of course. You saw what my star fall spell did to the ape’s entire nation. In comparison shifting the heavenly bodies is simplicity itself. Healing Touch and I participated in the spell frequently and likely the two of us alone could manage.”

Silent Step was sitting on the edge of the path leading up to the castle, gazing off in the distance. “What do you suppose is going on out there?”

Curiously we join her and look out. The largest earth pony settlement is just barely visible. Pegasopolis has been moved nearly directly over it. The pegasi are swooping to and fro gathering a multitude of cloud stuff and forcing it down to the ground where we can barely make out teams of earth pony’s hauling stone toward the mist.

“I…have no idea. They’re not fighting so it can’t be anything to worry over. We’ll wait for the king’s answer then go see what’s going on tomorrow.”

While I would much rather be down there than up here it wouldn’t look very good if we just ran off before getting Diamond Dust’s answer. Abundance prepares us a hearty meal from the few vegetables we have left. No real point in rationing when the earth ponies are more than happy to give us whatever we wish.

After the meal Silent Step melts into the shadows as she always does. Everypony sleeps well knowing she’s watching over us. Healing Touch settles on the ground beside me, a small smile on her face.

“I did it.” She shows me her scepter, a single rune at the base of the handle. “I named it Convalescence…the rune can cast my most powerful healing spell. Just once a day before it needs to recharge but still.”

I return her smile. “Congratulations. And a fitting name.”

“And you? Have you tried to bond with yours closer?”

I look at the sword sheathed around my barrel and to the shield strapped to a foreleg. “I suppose I should shouldn’t I?” Gently I unbuckle the sword and shield resting them on the ground together. Closing my eyes I focused on the weapons as if I were focusing on my horn to cast a spell. I could feel the connection waiting to be strengthened. For a time I had no idea what sort of rune I’d want to impart.

Perhaps the star fall? Then I recall the devastation wrought by the same spell over the apes’ nation. Surely the brutes were monsters that killed and ate my fellows but I didn’t just kill the warriors. The women and children huddling in their homes were not spared the spells devastating effects. Then I knew what the sword needed. A warm glow encompassed both sword and shield. When it faded the sheathe had melded and become a part of the shield. Curiously I drew the blade, pleased to find the rune settled at the base just above the hilt on the blade.

“So? What does it do? What’s its name?”

I snapped the blade back into the sheathe and slide the shield back over my leg. “Mercy. Its name is Mercy. The rune will make it impossible for me to harm an innocent with either the blade’s power or my own spells.”

Healing Touch smiles then and gently nuzzled my cheek. “A fitting name and a worthy ability.” She gazed at me through half lidded eyes, and with a small smile beckoned me to follow her from the fire. I won’t include in detail what happened next, but let us just say that Healing Touch and I were wed soon after.

The next morning a messenger arrived. “By order of his royal majesty King Diamond Dust, the six of you are hereby banished from Unicornia on pain of death. Further, the king agrees to the terms set forth and shall accept an equal share of earth pony food in exchange for moving the sun and the moon. That is all.”

He rolls up his scroll and trots back inside head held high. If any of us were at all upset by our ‘banishment’ we didn’t show it. We had done it, united the three tribes without a single drop of blood being shed. Nopony knew how long it would LAST of course, but for now there would be peace and cooperation in our small valley. Official business settled we eagerly set out for the earth pony village. The pegasi and earth tribe seemed to have worked through the night and…

“Now arriving in Ponyville!”

Jen blinked and shut her book with a sigh, sliding it away in the saddlebag. Dinky happily packed away her now finished homework and both made their way from the car to join the crowd waiting to disembark. The filly clambered back up onto Jennifer’s back and the two were soon stepping off the platform.

“So we should check in at the library for our assignments tomorrow huh?”

Dinky shrugged. “The foals don’t really have much to do. Except stay out of the grown-ups way.”

“Mm. I can drop you off at home first then.”

The Doo house wasn’t really out of the way so after Jen helped Dinky inside (through the window again, she needed to talk to Ditzy about a key for Dinky), she headed for the library. There was a constant flow of pony’s coming and going from the large tree Twilight made her residence in. Jen made her way in eventually. There was a huge billboard dominating one wall of the library, with three neat rows of names. They were split into weather, animal, and planting. Spying Lyra checking over the lists Jen wiggled her way through the crowd toward her friend.

“Hey Lyra! So what’s goin on here?”

The mint colored mare broke into a grin. “Heya Jen. We’re seeing what teams we’re split into this year. It’s usually the same every year but sometimes we get shuffled around a bit. Just look through the teams to find your name, it’s all alphabetized.”

Jen gave a little nod as she started to scan for the J’s. “So whaddo you do?”

“I wake up animals. Twilight came up with the idea for some of the musicians to play some peppy tunes for them to wake up to y’know? Puts em in a good mood right off the bat.”

“So what do pegasi usually do?”

The unicorn shrugged. “Weather mostly. Cloud bucking and cleaning snow off roofs and trees. Oh, and Ditzy Doo goes to bring back the southern birds.”

Jen glanced back with raised eyebrows. “By herself?”

Her friend gave another shrug. “Well Ditzy’s kinda a living natural disaster. She means well of course but still. She always gets lost bringing the birds back so it’s kinda a good way to keep her outta town while we take care of work here.”
Now the younger pony was grimacing. “She can’t be THAT bad can she?”

Lyra rubbed the back of her neck. “Ehhh…yeah. The one year we didn’t have her on bird duty she ended up kicking up a blizzard up in the clouds. Set us back a week.”

“Hm. I don’t see my name up here. Where’s Twilight?”

The mare chuckled now. “Oh she’s upstairs quadruple checking all the preparations. I’m sure you can go on up.”
Thanking her friend Jen climbed the stairs finding a very frazzled Twilight going over an almost comically large roll of parchment. “Hey Twilight…sorry to bug you but I can’t find my name on the teams.”

“What? Oh Jennifer I’m sorry. I wasn’t sure where to put you to be honest. What with your multitude of talents. Do you have any requests?”

“As a matter of fact…”

***

“I’m home!”

Pinkie was for once in the house in the middle of an afternoon. “Heya Jenny-bean! How was Canterlot? Did Dinky have a good time?”

Trotting by the party mare Jen dropped her saddlebags off in her room. “It was good. I managed to get Luna a couple times! Umbra’s feeling better which I’m not gonna lie, is a HUGE relief. I still can’t believe I hurt her so bad. Dinky had a great time of course, she loved the art district and Fancy Pants took us to see a Wonderbolts race.” She stopped in the kitchen posing a bit, waiting for Pinkie to notice her.

Deftly sliding a tray of cupcakes from the oven the mare finally turned to face her ward. “Aww animal team? I was hoping we could be on weather together! I skate on the ice so it melts even.”

Jen huffed and folded her wings over the brown vest she was wearing. “I can’t even skate on two legs let alone four Pinkie. I’m gonna be flying south to get the birds with Ditzy Doo.”

“Oh! Well that sounds like fun! Though it’s a long way to fly. Are you sure you can do it?”

“I can. If I gotta I can just do earth and pegasus together, then I’ll have super stamina to go with the wings!”

Pinkie hmm’d softly tilting her head. “Isn’t that kinda like cheating?”

“Is there a RULE that says anyone can’t use her magical charm bracelet to be two tribes at once?”

The pink mare settled on her haunches tapping her muzzle with a hoof as she pondered the question. “Nope! Guess you’re in the clear Jenny-bean! Just be careful and listen to Ditzy ok? She’s been doing this every year.”

“I will. Now are we gonna ice those cupcakes?”

Pinkie beamed happily, and the pair set to work.

***

They must have worked through the night and all morning. Somehow they were combining their two magic’s, earth and pegasus to meld the cloud and stone together forging a great citadel of solid cloud stuff. Nopony had ever seen the like before; of course no two tribes had ever had a reason to come together in cooperation outside of the battlefield. A great cheer rose from the crowds as our approach was noticed.

The chancellor himself paused in his work to greet us. “Welcome noble knights! We had hoped to be finished before you returned but we’re nearly there. Of course it’s unfurnished inside but we’ll remedy that soon enough.”

The others of course waited for me to take the lead. “What exactly is this chancellor?”

Commander Lightning Strike landed beside the massive earth stallion. “Our gift to you, for the peace you’ve forged. Your order needs a proper base of operations does it not? I met with Chancellor Rocksteady last night and we agreed to attempt what you see here. Pegasus pony’s and earth pony’s working together for the first time. Noble knights we present to you, the Citadel of Harmony.”

The commander and chancellor stepped aside to allow us unfettered access. A small walkway was ‘carved’ into the solid cloud stuff leading up to the gates of the near finished citadel. Cautiously we climbed the unusual material and entered the gates. A true keep was taking shape within, the walls smoothly sculpted with no seams whatsoever where the cloud bricks came together. My companions each set out excitedly to explore in pairs while Healing Touch stayed at my side.

The leaders of the tribes followed us closely. “We trust it’s satisfactory?”

I laughed. “Satisfactory? That’s not quite the word I’d use Commander. Amazing, mind boggling, fantastic, wonderful. Pick one or all of them I’d say you’ve earned it. This is truly a miracle of pony ingenuity. This is exactly what we hoped would come of this union. You two have only proven precisely what the others spent all day convincing me of.”

The chancellor stepped to my side. “Well we can’t do enough for what you and your fellow knights have done sir. If things keep going as they have been this is going to become a wonderful place to live, you just wait. How did the king take the news?”

Healing frowned softly. “He agreed but we aren’t allowed in our homes any longer. Though I suppose this is home now? I think we came out ahead on this deal.”

I couldn’t help but nod in agreement. The chancellor smiled suddenly. “Follow me; we have something else to show you.” The leaders lead the way through the citadels halls down a ramp to what I assume is some sort of basement. A huge heart carved from some sort of quartz crystal was hanging in the center of the bottom chamber. Thin filaments of cloud stuff branched from the heart and into the walls. “Lord and Lady Knight, we give to you the heart of the citadel.”

I could feel the palpable magic radiating from the heart. It was the powerful magic of the earth tribe. Most ponies are under the misconception that unicorn magic is the strongest but we just pull mana from the air to produce effects. The earth tribe draws their strength from the very world itself. This heart was infused with more concentrated magic than I had ever seen. “What is it?”

The chancellor puffed his chest with pride; the commander seemed content to let him have his moment. “This heart is crystalized earth pony mana. The cables are solidified pegasus mana. Once the spark of unicorn magic is introduced…” He gestured with his hoof toward the heart. Healing and I shared a quick glance before we approached and fed some mana into the heart directly.

The results were instantaneous. It began to glow with an intense inner blue light that spread to the cloud cables attaching it to the walls. Thin steams of concentrated mana began to spread out along the walls until the room was bathed in a bright blue glow. The whole citadel began to shudder gently as it started to move. The chancellor just looked more and more excited while the commander spread her wings but kept her composure. Healing and I raced from the room back upstairs. The entire citadel was slowly lifting into the air, hovering perhaps a hundred feet off the ground.

“How…how is this possible?” After my own feat of magic with the star fall spell this shouldn’t have surprised me. But of all the fantastic things I’d seen already this was by far the most unimaginable.

“Now that’s it’s been activated the heart will constantly draw in the mana it needs to keep itself flying. You should be able to direct the citadel to fly higher or lower, and to move from place to place by directly connecting yourselves to it. Really any unicorn can do it; it doesn’t have to be one of you.”

“This is truly amazing Chancellor. Commander. With any luck this will inspire our own tribe to see just what cooperation can bring about.”

The citadel was completed by the end of the evening. Several young earth ponies’ and pegasi insisted on volunteering to staff the keep. It was soon stocked with food, arms, furniture…really anything a pony could want in a home. The unicorns abided by the peace, but it wasn’t until King Diamond Dust passed on and his daughter Gleaming Gemstone took the throne that the unicorn tribe entered into the cooperation with gusto. Unicorns bolstered our ranks in time as well.

As the years passed we found we did not age, I would be the first to discover it was the fundamental connection we had forged with the force of harmony itself that was so intrinsic to the existence of all life on our world. Healing Touch and I were wed of course. Comet Streak and Silent Step were the first of our number to have a foal of their own.

A problem arose when the pair came to me seeking to have their bond with harmony severed. They didn’t want to outlive their own child. With great reluctance I agreed to their request, if they could find suitable inheritors for Corona and Night Singer. We came to find that six ponies could not police an entire country, and consulting my masters’ notes I had learned the ritual to create more knights. There were thirteen of us in all, each with their own weapon that we named collectively The Arms of Harmony.

Both accepted my terms and within the week their bond was transferred to the new knights. In time they forged bonds with Corona and Night Singer like their first owners had, adding runes of their own. Abundance was the next to leave. She’d married an earth pony stallion and wanted to settle down with him. Only Sunshine, Healing Touch, and myself remained of the original order. I did not begrudge them their choices though I came to miss them dearly. I kept watch over their families.
The next difficulty came when Healing Touch herself told me she was with child. As the others before her she wished to leave the knighthood. With a heavy heart I aided in this…though I could not leave my position as commander of the order. It caused me great pain to see my beloved age as I remained young and vibrant for years to come. I wanted so dearly to be with her but…I worried for my fellow ponies too much. She passed away after living a long, happy life. Seeing our daughter bear three grandfoals before the end.

I kept in close contact with my family for years. Eventually I passed Mercy on to one of the other young knights, and crafted a staff for myself to fulfill the same purpose my old sword had. Chancellors, Commanders, and royalty came and went but I was confident the order would endure. It wasn’t until two most unusual fillies came to our land with their equally strange mother that things would change for the worse. Celestia and Luna inherited Corona and Night Singer, and more exemplary knights I could not ask for. Alas if only I’d paid more attention to their mother

Jen frowned as the sentence just ended in the middle of itself. She glared down at the book and gasped softly. A number of pages were just…TORN right from the book. It picked up again later in the story.

finally defeated at such a great cost. I cannot imagine the pain the two endured in doing what they did but the threat is ended. Though I fear the order is irrevocably shattered, I know our land will be in good hands with the powerful sisters leading.

I hope that whoever finds this journal learns from its words. Do not repeat the mistakes of old. The tribes were meant to be united as one people, in harmony together. And if one of you fillies finds this I hope you are able to restore the order to what it once was. If anypony is up to taking my place it’s either of you. Yes Luna, EITHER of you. Stop comparing yourself to your elder sister. You’re every bit the knight she is.

-Starswhirl “the bearded” Lulamoon

Gently she closed the book with her hoof, frowning down at it. So…it was Luna’s mom who ruined the order? Was that possible? She wanted to ask Luna about it right away but if it had to do with the end of the order she’d promised not to speak of it. Her frown turned to a scowl as she carried the book to her room tucking it away to be returned on the weekend.
The sun was just beginning to rise as Pinkie trotted from her room. “Mornin’ Jenny-bean! Holy guacamole that’s some frown you have! We need to turn that upside down, it’s time for the Wrap Up!” She cheery mare paused. “Actually it’s time for breakfast! How about some chocolate chip pancakes!”

It was almost impossible to be in a bad mood around Pinkie Pie. Slowly the filly smiled. “That sounds great Pinkie. Sorry I just finished my book and it was missing like…a whole chapter.”

“Aww that’s too bad! Maybe Twilight has a copy?”

Jen shook her head and followed Pinkie to the kitchen, getting out the chocolate chips while Pinkie started on the batter. “No the book is super old and rare I guess. I think it was actually Starswhirl’s journal.”

“Ooo you should show it to Twilight for sure then. You know what a big fan of his she is! Did I tell you about the time she dressed as him for Nightmare Night?”

With a little laugh Jen shook her head, and was regaled with the story of Luna’s first visit to Ponyville upon her return from the moon. “So it’s basically Halloween?”

“Yup! You just missed it last year but this year for sure, me and you trick or treating up a storm!”

Trotting back to her room Jen wiggled her vest over her head and worked her forelegs through the wholes, finally flexing her wings through the back. By the time she got back to the dining room pancakes were already hitting the table. A glass of orange juice (Pinkie sword never to tell Applejack), was waiting for the filly as she sat to eat.

The two enjoyed a quiet breakfast and parted as Pinkie made her way off to her own chores. Jen cantered to the Doo house, knocking gently. A stallion opened the door. Tan coat, deep brown mane a bit on the messy side. “Well hello there! Say do I know you?”

Jen stepped back, taken aback by his very in your face greeting as he got almost nose to nose with her. He had what sounded like a Trottingham accent like that colt Pipsqueak from school. “Er…no?”

His brow furrowed as he stepped out of the house and paced about the young pegasus, looking her over closely. “Green coat, Mercy on her foreleg, no cutie mark. Ah! YOU must be Jubilant Surprise!”

Fluttering her wings a bit as she grew flustered by the odd earth pony Jen shifted on her hooves. Of course she did sort of standout being as old as she was and having no mark…plus her sword. How’d he know its name? Maybe Dinky told him. “Uh…yes sir. And you are?”

He grabbed her hoof in his own shaking vigorously. “VERY honored to meet YOU miss. Oh you’re doing such great things. Have done such great things? You did already defeat Discord yes?”

Now she was feeling like maybe waiting for Ditzy to meet her someplace else, this guy was a nut. “Uh…yeah I did…so is Ditzy home or…?”

“Oh! Oh yes of course. Your first Winter Wrap Up. It must be very exciting! Let me go fetch her hm?”

Jen watched him race back into the house and let out a deep breath. “Hour glass for a cutie mark, he must make watches or something.”

The stallion returned soon with Ditzy in tow. The grey pegasus was wearing a vest identical to Jen’s own, while the stallion had a brown one. “Well ladies I’m off! Snow to plough and all. Have a wonderful flight.” Jen heard him mutter something about ‘THE Jubilant Surprise’ before he was out of ear shot.

With one last concerned look for the departing stallion she turned to Ditzy. “S-so…that’s uh…your…colt friend or?”

Ditzy watched him go a moment before looking to Jen. “Hm? No no nothing romantic or anything…” Jen thought she heard a tone of wistfulness in there. “Just friends. Traveling companions I guess? Well don’t worry about him, I know he can come off a little odd but he’s a really nice pony.”

Jen’s tail twitched. “He’s definitely weird, but he DOES seem nice enough I guess. He sure seems to know me. I guess I must be a little famous huh?”

Ditzy shrugged. “He’s like that when he meets certain ponies sometimes. I stopped trying to figure it out; I’m just along for the ride most of the time!” She smiled brightly. “So ready to fly? I’ve never had company on the trip before.”

Thoughts of bizarre stallions with hourglass cutie marks fled Jen’s head. “Ready and waiting ma’am!” She snapped off a smart salute.

The other pegasus giggled. “Well then let’s move out private! We have some birds to find!”

Both spread their wings and had equally ungraceful take offs. Jen managed to bump into the roof of the Doo house while Ditzy ploughed through a tree ripping off plenty of branches on her way through. Once both were in the air and clear of anything to impede their flight things evened out a good deal. Like Jennifer, Ditzy had the larger wingspan of a glider pegasus and they gradually climbed above the cloud cover with the occasional powerful flap of their wings and catching any updraft they could.

The pair flew in silence for a time. Having heard the rumors of how often Ditzy would fly in the wrong direction Jennifer kept an eye on the rising sun making sure they were indeed headed south. She’d been assured that once they got near the destination Ditzy would unerringly find the birds.

“So…is that stallion who you’re always running around with? When uh, Dinky is alone?”

Ditzy shifted one eye to focus on the filly at her side. “Yeah um…he is. I dunno if I said it before but thanks for being there for my muffin. I know it might not seem like it but I really do love her to bits. I just…”

“You just weren’t ready?”

The other pegasus nodded. “I guess not. I mean I moved to Ponyville from Cloudsdale when I saw she wasn’t a pegasus so we could stay together. Sometimes I think she’d have been better off if I just gave her to a family on the ground and stayed away.”

Jen flared her wings to catch a particularly large thermal. “She loves you a lot Ditzy. She wishes you were around more but…she really does love you.”

“I know, and I love her too of course. I tried giving up my travelling for a little bit you know? But when we spent so much time together things got…hard. It’s hard to explain to someone who hasn’t experienced it but when your foal isn’t the same tribe there’re always problems. I wanted to teach my filly to fly, to preen with her. She needs someone to teach her magic. I talked to Mrs. Cake about it a little bit. It’s even worse for them having one of EACH y’know? She’s worried they’re not going to be able to give their little foals everything they need. The sad thing is they can’t.”

Jennifer’s voice was quiet. “Maybe they can’t. The Cakes can’t teach their kids magic or how to fly but does that mean they should just ignore them? It might hurt her a little to not be able to learn something so important from her mom, but I promise you that feeling like her mother doesn’t care about her hurts a lot worse.”

Ditzy’s nostrils flared as she turned to regard Jennifer, both eyes fixed squarely on her now. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. And I don’t think I want to talk about this anymore. Let’s just fly.”

With a soft grunt Jen let the conversation die. They’d flown far by now, leaving Ponyville well behind them. The dark gray clouds were beginning to thin out, giving way to dusty brown dirt roads beneath them. Jennifer kept her eyes fixed on the ground happy to have anything distract her from the unpleasant conversation. A small dust cloud was rising below. Squinting she could make out a pair of ponies galloping from a nearby rocky outcropping. Not too far behind them came a pack of what looked like big dogs from up high.

“Ditzy! Do you see that?”

The mare was clearly still not happy with Jennifer but she glanced down. “It looks like a bunch of diamond dogs are chasing those ponies! What do we do?!”

Jen immediately began to descend. “Go on ahead! There’s only a few of them, me and Heart can handle this easy…er…right?”

Aye, there be only eight of the beasts, a good first outing for a fledgling knight I think.

“Yeah we got this! We’ll see you soon Ditzy!”

I suggest thou uses thy human shape utilizing all three tribes aspects. While thy armor will protect thee from their fangs and spears t’would be good to have as much force as possible. They pose little danger to thee, but the pony’s we race to protect could be harmed.

Jen flared her wings wide as she began to drift downward in a lazy spiral. Touching the human charm first she floundered in mid-air as her wings adjusted to the altered body shape. Hastily she applied her fingers to the three primary pony tribe’s charms and felt a rush of strength as her horn and muscle grew in. Calling up her armor next she found it was nearly weightless against her new physique and her wings continued to carry her down at a steady pace. Her eyes widened behind the visor of her helm however as one of the dogs hurled a spear catching one of the fleeing ponies in the flank.

Scowling fiercely the girl angled her body forward and tucked her wings in close going into a dive. Her horn shimmered as she sheathed herself in an aura of magic to lessen the coming impact. Maneuvering between the pony’s and closing dogs she flared her wings at the last second, flipping herself up right and skidding across the ground in a (semi) smooth landing. Coming to rest just before the now astonished duo of pony’s she turned to the pack of dogs, wings flared wide as she drew Mercy.

Announce thyself and thy intentions Jennifer. Be formal and forceful.

With a little nod the young knight squared her shoulders and cleared her throat. “I…ah…” She swallowed back the sudden bout of nerves. “I am Jubilant Surprise, knight of the Order of Harmony. I…order you to leave these ponies alone?”

Not particularly forceful, are thou asking them to leave them be?

Sh-shut it I’m doing the best I can Heart! What are these guys? Are they dangerous?

In my time the dog clans kept to their holes, but anypony who was caught unawares by the curs wound up enslaved and eventually in a cook pot. I sincerely doubt they have changed much in the centuries since my death, given the circumstances.

The dogs had come to a halt as well, looking at the newcomer in confusion. She took the time to study them in turn. They were about her height though a good deal more muscled than she was. Wearing rusty armor of their own and carrying crude stone spears, their leader growled at his underlings.

“Kill pony’s! Kill knight! That armor peels off, we cooks knight too!”

It sounds like they haven’t changed much.

The dogs pulled back and hurled their spears. Jen’s first instinct was to shield herself but she recalled the pony’s cowering behind her and invoked the rune to call up a pale pink shield around them. Their cries of alarm turned to relief as the spears bounced harmlessly from the magic bubble. One errand spear made its way toward Jennifer but she batted it aside with her shield.

The pack again hesitated before their leader began to bark wildly, whipping them into a frenzy. They charged and Jennifer braced herself. Her breath was coming in quick gasps as she realized this wasn’t practice, this was the real thing.

Calm thyself Jennifer. Facing Discord and Umbra will surely be more difficult than this. There are many of them but they are cowardly and weak. Send a few running with their tails between their legs and the rest will follow. Remember thy lessons with the princess.

Swallowing her fear she gave a resolute nod and waded forward into the oncoming pack. The first to reach her received Mercy’s shield solidly across his face as Jennifer back handed him, sending the brute spiraling to the dirt with a pitiful whine. Feeling heavy paws settle on her shoulders she spun swinging Mercy about and catching another in the side of the head with the pommel of her weapon. It too fell whimpering.

Now the pack seemed more hesitant quickly forming a circle around the girl, snarling and barking with the occasional lunging snap, but the attacker would always leap back before Jennifer could bring her weapons to bear. Growing tired of the game the girl again reached out with her magic sending a raw blast of mana forward and catching two more dogs in its path. The stench of singed fur filled the combatants’ nostrils and the leader of the pack threw his head back loosing a tremendous howl.

The others broke ranks and bolted for the rocks and for a moment Jen thought it was just as Heart had said. With a last look to make sure the dogs were gone she turned to the two she’d saved. A pair of unicorn stallions, twins she’d guess. Both had beige coats, red mains with a white stripe, blue and white striped vests with old timey straw hats. The only real difference was their cutie marks and one had a moustache. The mustachioed one had a mostly full apple missing one slice, while his brother’s mark was the apparent missing slice.

“You guys okay?”

“It would seem we are thanks to your timely intervention dear ah…girl? I’m Flam, this is my brother Flim. Is there anything you can do for him about the ah…”

Flim, the one with the moustache had a spear pretty solidly wedged into his left flank. “Spear in my rear? It’s not the most comfortable experience I’ve ever had.”

Jen lifted her visor and knelt down eyeing the spear. “Well I’m not exactly a medic. Heart?”

The rune on her sword flared and both brothers let out a yelp at the spirits sudden appearance. The spear is only deep enough to remain lodged. The stallion will be fine. You can remove the spear then either bandage it or heal him, though you’d take the wound onto yourself Mercy would heal it in moments.

Taking a deep breath Jennifer gave a nod. “Alright, I can fix you up. This’ll probly hurt though…” She reached to grab the spear just as a tremendous roar issued from the rocks the dogs ran off in. Three ponies’ and one human turned to the sound.

A massive beast was lumbering through the rocks, smashing its way through the stones. It was the size of a small building back in Ponyville, with three snarling canine heads. “Wh-what the hell is that Heart?”

Tis a spawn of Cerberus. Normally the beasts are quite docile but this one must have been trained by the dogs to attack on command. This is a formidable foe Jennifer. Though one we must face or the brothers will surely perish. I will fight at your side.

Jen definitely didn’t like the sound of concern in Heart’s voice but the spirit was right. If she flew off Flim and Flam would be easy prey for the monster. Steeling her nerves she slammed her visor shut and raised Mercy. “Can you get your brother out of here?”

The stallions looked surprised. “What about you?”

She turned back with a helpless chuckle. “I’m a knight. This is apparently what we do. You guys just try to get to safety.”

Flam lifted his brother with his magic gently and started to run. The beast roared seeing its prey escaping and charged the group. Hoping to end the fight quickly Jen charged Mercy with her magic. Once the blade glowed fiercely she swung it in an upward arc releasing the stored magic in a powerful wave of verdant energy. The charging Cerberus took it head on and the magic slammed into the monster throwing it into the air to land hard on its back with a resounding boom.

Panting heavily from the exertion Jen flashed a smile to Bleeding Heart at her side. “W-well…that wasn’t so bad huh?”

Heart didn’t seem to share her elation. Her attention was focused on the beast that was now getting to its feet again. This time all six baleful red eyes were focused solely on the young knight. With a gulp she tensed her wings preparing to take flight…but the brothers still weren’t far enough away to be safe. Shaking thoughts of fleeing from her head she took a deep breath and alongside her spectral companion charged to meet the creature head on.

Do not fear Jennifer, so long as thy mana remains strong the beast cannot pierce thy armor.

“In other words no more big magic shots unless I’m sure it’s not getting up again. Awesome.” Their conversation ended abruptly as the beast pounced. Heart nimbly skipped to the right while Jennifer dove to the left. It chose to follow the girl who wounded it, swinging one of its massive paws down upon her. She managed to get her shield up for all the good it did. The tremendous paw slammed down and flattened her into the ground.

It had her pinned from the waist down and was grinding her further into the dusty earth. Even through her armor Jen could feel the tremendous pressure the thing was putting on her legs and she was afraid they’d break any second. Gripping Mercy in a two handed hold she lifted the blade and plunged it down nearly to the hilt into the top of the paw.

With an ear piercing yowl the beast lurched onto its hind legs. Jennifer kept her grip on Mercy and was flung into the air as the Cerberus reared. Her blade came loose and she was soon flying freely into the air tumbling head over heels. Gritting her teeth she snapped her wings open beating them frantically and slowly righting herself.

Bleeding Heart hadn’t been sitting on her flanks the whole time. The ghostly knight had dashed off to get a running start, and as Jen was flung into the air Heart galloped at the monster, using her powerful hind legs she leaped high into the air and stabbed her own copy of Mercy in at the creatures left most neck. The spirit’s blade cut through smoothly and a gout of blood burst from the wound. The left head sagged limply and the beast gave another mournful howl.

Angling herself over the monster Jen snapped her wings shut and dropped onto its back. She was nearly thrown off as it slammed its front paws back to the ground. With surprising swiftness it rounded on Bleeding Heart and the center heads jaws snapped down upon the spirit. Jennifer screamed and nearly fell from her perch as pain ripped through her chest when the monsters fangs tore into the spirit of her sword. Eyes blurring from tears of pain she summoned Heart back to the blade. The pain faded but didn’t vanish altogether.

M-my apologies Jennifer. Twas quicker than I expected. The brothers are safe now; we should quit the field while the beast is blinded by pain and rage.

It sounded like great advice that Jen really wanted to follow. But if they ran now this thing could attack the next group of ponies that wandered by. Trying to push the pain in her chest and legs out of her mind she ran up the monsters back toward the remaining heads. The Cerberus thrashed trying to dislodge her but her wings made for excellent balance while she ran. With a shout she coiled her legs and sprang forward, using her wings for extra momentum she lifted Mercy over her head and plunged it into the top of the central head of the monster.

All at once the beast collapsed like a puppet whose strings were cut. Jennifer was sent tumbling to the ground as the monster fell. She managed to twist as she fell and landed on her feet, dropping to her knee with a grunt. Rising she prepared to finish the creature off. Her angry scowl dissipated in an instant.

The right head was whining pitifully, not unlike her own dog when she was being disciplined back home. It was lifting its right forepaw weakly, but the rest of its body seemed to be as dead as its other two heads.

“Heart…what do we do?”

Nothing Jennifer. With the central head slain its heart is stopping. It will be dead in moments. Well done.

The light slowly faded from the eyes of the last head, and as the creature fully died Jennifer felt anything but proud. “I-I guess. I mean…it was a monster…we did what we had to…right?”

Aye. Do not doubt thyself, who can say how many innocents were fed to the beast. Let not its pitiable dying moments color thy feelings. Twas a bloodthirsty monster that would have slain thee and anypony else without a second thought.

With a sigh Jen sheathed Mercy and banished her armor. Her chest was covered in a line of angry blue-black bruises where the monster had gnawed on Heart. Using her find it spell she set out to track down Flim and Flam.

“Does it…get any easier? The uh, killing?”

It never did for myself. I pray it does not for thee. When thy heart becomes hardened to the idea of taking a life, even one so foul as the cerberus thy worthiness to bare Mercy would be called into question. Take solace that the blade could wound it at all; it cannot harm those that do not deserve it.

Feeling a little better at that Jen nodded slowly. She found the twins hiding between a sizeable pair of boulders. Flim had grown paler and his brother didn’t look much better.

“Ehe…afraid I’m not used to much physical exertion.”

His wounded brother nodded emphatically. “We’re more idea stallions you see. Is the ah…monster gone?”

Smiling weakly she gave another nod. “It is. Now let’s see about that spear huh?”

Without her armor she was basically naked before the two, but she was too sore and tired to care. Gently laying Mercy on its side she looked to Flam. “Can you hold him down while I pull it out?”

Gulping the brothers exchanged a nervous look but Flam did as asked, using his magic to keep Flim pinned firmly. With a grimace Jen took hold of the spear and yanked it out. It came free with an unpleasant tearing sound and drawing a horrific screech from Flim. Blood began to flow freely from the wound and she grimaced as she saw the serrated edge of the spear head. “Oh jeez…alright buddy hang on.”

She hadn’t actually USED this rune before and she wasn’t too keen on trying now. Worry not. The rune I added heals the wounds taken by Martyr’s rune rapidly. It shall hurt I’ll not lie, but will heal in moments.

The stallion had passed out from the pain. Gently running her fingers along the blade she called out to the fifth rune. It glimmered faintly as she directed its magic to the bleeding hole. A faint pink light enveloped the wound as it vanished as if it’d never been to begin with. Jen’s eyes widened and she screamed in shock from the fierce pain that burst to life on her hip.

All the strength fled from her right leg as she flailed tumbling to her side. She was caught by Flam’s magic before she hit the ground. “Now what do we do?!”

The sixth rune was glowing brightly and a warm light was spreading over the wound in Jen’s hip. “N-nothing…thanks for catching me…oooo man that-that smarts. My sword’ll heal me…fast I hope.”

Flim was already stirring as the hole in Jen’s hip stopped bleeding and had nearly vanished entirely, though she had a new scar for her troubles. Flam gently set her back on her feet. Her hip throbbed painfully and with a scowl she invoked the pegasus charm’s magic fully, settling on four hooves.

Both brothers looked a bit unnerved by her sudden change. “So are you a human that becomes a pony or vice versa?”

Jen raised an eyebrow. “You know about humans?”

Both grinned now. “Well of course! Wonderful creatures, absolutely fascinating!”

Flam was nodding at his brothers words. “Some of our best ideas came from them! Found some old magazines in the woods outside the family homestead.”

Flim picked up the conversation. “Went to work on trying to recreate anything we could out of those catalogues.”

The young pony was nodding slowly as the stallions explained. Her other eyebrow shot up as she noticed their flanks. “Hey your cutie marks changed!”

Both looked back and offered chuckles and shrugs. Flim had a large gear overlaid with a screwdriver while Flam’s was a small gear and pair of pliers. “Well not many ponies are fans of the technological wonders we produce.”

“Fear of the unknown you see.”

“So we learned a spell to change our marks to fit whatever profession we’re currently engaged in.”

“Pony’s feel more comfortable doing business with somepony whose special talent is their business.”

Jen’s head was snapping back and forth between the pair as one picked up where the other ended. “I guess that makes sense…”

Flim gasped and stomped a hoof into the ground. “We didn’t thank you!”

Flam frowned at his brother. “Are you sure? That doesn’t sound like us.”

“Quite sure brother.”

“Well if you say so…”

As one they turned to Jen bowing their heads. “Thank you for your help Lady Jubilant.”

Jen urked. “L-lady?”

“Well you said you’re a knight right?”

“And that’s a knight’s title isn’t it?”

Is it?

Technically dame, but lady works just as well and sounds less…’goofy’ as thee would say.

I would. “Just Jubilant is fine guys.”

“Say wait a minute!”

“A green filly with no cutie mark?”

“Who changes shape more than a changeling?”

“And carries around a magic sword?”

“Aren’t you Princess Luna’s young protégé?” The last they said together.

She laughed. She found the quirky stallions pretty funny. “I am, yeah. It’s no big deal though.”

“No big deal she says!”

“Modesty’s an excellent trait mother always said.”

“We have to repay your kindness.” They shared a quite look of embarrassment. “Do you ah…think you could do us one more favor?”

Shaking her head Jen laughed again. “As long as it’s not fighting another giant three headed monster, sure.”

“Well it’s our means of transport.”

“We had to abandon it.”

“Broken wheel you see?”

“Would you be willing to er…watch over us while we retrieve and repair it?”

Sighing softly she went back to her three tribe-human hybrid form. “Lemme guess, it’s back with the dogs?”

At their slow nod she sighed again. “Well I’m in for the long haul. Let’s get your ride back.” With some reluctance she called her armor back. The cool metal felt kinda nice against her hip at least. She had a bit of a limp but they made decent time.

They passed through the rocks into a mazelike collections of pathways cut into the stone. They moved slowly but the few dogs they saw took one look at the stallions’ escort and didn’t hamper their progress. Jen grinned a little when they reached their transport. It looked almost like a car! Or maybe a…parade float? Definitely some kinda steam punk thing. It was actually pretty cool. One wheel had snapped off the rear axle and the brothers went to work on the repairs.

“…hey wait a minute. You were in Ponyville a couple years back right?”

Both shared a nervous look. “Ah…you wouldn’t happen to be acquainted with the Apple family?”

Hands on her hips Jen glared at them. “Good friends in fact. You two tried to steal their farm.”

In unison they tugged their hats from their heads. “Our biggest regret was how we behaved in Ponyville.”

“It was our first real outing you see, we were so proud of the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 it sort of…”

“Went to our heads.”

“We thought about going back and apologizing but what we did to that family…”

“Was absolutely unforgiveable.”

Jen felt her anger melting away. “I think they’d surprise you guys. The Apple family is super nice, and if you wanted to play fair this time I bet they’d even go into the cider business with you. I know they’re always hard up for bits.”

“You really think so?”

She shrugged. “I do. At the very least you should apologize though. They’re good folk over in Ponyville.”

Both had to nod at that. “Maybe it’d be a good idea to make a side stop.”

They had their vehicle up and running soon. Jen was a little excited to ride on it even if it moved a quarter of the speed an actual car did. There was something much cooler about riding on something these pony’s had made themselves and not in some factory. Clear of the rocks Jen hopped off. “Alright you guys, you got it from here?”

“Absolutely! You sure you won’t accept a few of these jewels as thanks?”

Jen shrugged. “Nah I got plenty of bits. I’m just glad to help.”

“Well then thank you again young lady. We look forward to hearing of your future exploits!”

Jen laughed and waved goodbye as the duo set out on their loudly clanking contraption.

Truly thy behavior was worthy of the knightly title you claimed today Jennifer. I am proud to be your companion in this journey, and look forward to seeing thou grow into a fine mare.

“A few months ago if someone said they wanted to see me grow into a mare I’d think they were weirdoes Heart.” Once more in pegasus shape she took to the air heading in a generally southern direction. She ran into Ditzy Doo coming back with a huge flock of birds hot on her tail.

“Hey Jen! How’d it go?”

“Eh…saved the day. The ponies are safe and the monster’s gone.”

“Well then good job! I found the birds, didn’t even get lost either.”

It seemed like Ditzy had gotten over their argument and the two made light conversation on the way back to Ponyville. The town was wildly different from the place they left this morning. The sky was cloud free and not a single snowflake could be seen. The grass was already greener and small buds had grown in on the trees.

Pinkie Pie was easy to spot of course. The party pony was in the middle of leading the town in a musical number about the joy of the coming spring. With a little laugh Jen landed lightly nearby waiting for them to finish. She felt the usual urge to join in but shrugged it off. While she was feeling better she wasn’t much in the mood for a big song and dance.

“Jen! Hey Jen!”

The filly turned to the calls, seeing Spike running as fast as his little legs could carry him. She trotted over to meet him halfway. “What’s up Spike? You want my bracelet again?”

“Oh! Uh…sure! But…that’s not why I was looking for you!” He had a scroll clutched in his claws. Glancing down at her hooves she looked up at him with a shrug. “Oh right! Let’s see.” He cleared his throat. “I have a mission of the utmost urgency for you Jennifer. I realize you may be busy with other obligations but pray you can rise to this new challenge. Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor in the Crystal Empire are in desperate need of your help. This is a very delicate matter and you must not speak of the events to anypony. Plan to be gone for the entire week. No pony is to accompany you on this journey. I will come to the Empire myself as soon as I am able to check on the progress of your mission. You will be a guest of the Princess while you are in the empire. Your train pass has been updated to allow passage to the Empire. Depart at your earliest convenience.”

Rolling up the scroll Spike torched it with a little puff of flame. “Sounds important, you better get going.”

Jen frowned. “I just got back! …but it DOES sound important.” With a heavy sigh she looked to the cheerful Ponyville ponies. “Oh well…I DID wanna check out the Empire anyway. I better go pack a bag.”

She’d have to cancel the daycare service for the week of course. Dinky couldn’t run the whole place on her own. It would’ve been nice if she could have asked any of her friends along, but Luna was pretty specific in her letter. Huffing softly she began to pack her bags.

Slinging them over her flanks she sought out Cheerilee asking her to notify the parents. “I’m really sorry if it wasn’t from Luna herself…”

The earth mare laughed gently. “You don’t need to explain Jennifer. If the Princess needs somepony they get their flanks in gear. Don’t worry everypony will understand.”

***

Pinkie was a bit more difficult to convince. “But it’s so far! And she wants you to go all by yourself?!”

Jen shrugged a little on her way to the train station. “I’m gonna be staying in the palace with Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, Pinkie. Nothing bad is gonna happen. It’s just for a week and it sounded really important.”

The mare stubbornly shook her head. “Well then I’ll come with you!”

Sighing softly Jen showed her pass at the station. “You can’t Pinkie. Luna was REALLY specific. I’d LOVE it if you could come but…please don’t make this so hard.”

Heaving a sigh of her own Pinkie Pie scuffed a hoof on the ground. “I’m sorry Jenny, really. I’m just worried. Don’t think I didn’t notice that new scar on your flank. Where did THAT come from?”

“Uhh…a may have saved a couple ponies from a pack of dogs and a rampaging Cerberus?”

Pinkie bristled angrily now. “A…you…cerberus?! You…you’re just a filly Jenny! You can’t be…running around fighting giant monsters! I-I forbid it! You’re um…grounded!”

Jen frowned now. “I’m not a filly Pinkie Pie. And you’re NOT my mother so STOP acting like it! I’m GOING to the Empire and if this is how you’re going to act…” She faltered for a minute. “If-if this is how you’re going to keep treating me when I get back I might have to look into a new place to live.”

Pinkie Pie recoiled as if she were slapped. Her big blue eyes wide and Jen felt her chest tighten at the moisture gathering there. W-well…if that’s how you feel…fine. I-I won’t…tell you what to do Jennifer.” Head low the normally cheerful mare turned and plodded back toward town.

Jen was already moving to chase after Pinkie when the conductor called out. “All aboard! Train for the Crystal Empire is now departing! Aaaaall aboard!”

Sighing softly the filly cast one last look at the straight mane'd Pinkie Pie before turning and boarding the train.

Author's Note:

*Jen and Umbra reconcile in chapter 8 of Umbral Travels. So if you're not already reading it you can pop over and check it out.

Three chapters to go and Settling In is finished!